Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 146 Tuesday, 27 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Coke commercial? TMBG: fuck Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 TMBG: DAS IPI TMBG: Purple Toupee = American Pie? Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-145 TMBG: Need an audio file of "someone keeps moving my chair" Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc TMBG: NYC tab Re: TMBG: Purple Toupee = American Pie? Re: TMBG: NYC tab TMBG: Mrs. Train TMBG: Operators are Standing By? TMBG: Ondine / Don't Make Me Kill You Again / Concert Games... Re: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? Re: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? Re: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-145 Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? TMBG: multiple replies.:) TMBG: Guitar was the case/New material TMBG: various TMBG: uh... quick, think of a subject... TMBG: T:TEY Re: TMBG: Car commercial Re: TMBG: Car commercial TMBG: Operators/Glasses TMBG: Chicago radio TMBG: Car Commercial Re: TMBG: Operators/Glasses Re: TMBG: shyness Re: TMBG: various Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight (none) TMBG: NEXT TOUR!!! TMBG: I pal I Re: TMBG: Operators/Glasses Re: TMBG: Car commercial TMBG: Re: Jessica Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 26 May 1997 08:19:39 GMT From: "Daniel Gribble" Message-ID: <01bc69ad$94a91960$8a4801cb@dawallac> Organization: Insert Company Name Here... Subject: TMBG: Re: Coke commercial? Matthew James wrote in article <9705260344.AA18177@greed.loyola.edu>... > In the coke commercial does Flans sing something about "Will anyone want > my shoes that I spilled coke on?" or something similar to that? I heard > this coke commercial and it sorta sounded like Flans so I'm wondering if > that really was it... > Thanks, > /Matt I live in Australia, I'm not sure if i've seen the "coke commercial" so could someone tell me what the visuals are...?? thanx ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705261113.EAA29734@f5.hotmail.com> From: "Michael Bradley" Subject: TMBG: fuck Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 04:13:58 PDT made you look? is this the official email that i read about on tmbg.com? i want info on tmbg. follow the EXIT signs * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:07:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526080754_115699677@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight /Puppet Head MP3 In a message dated 97-05-25 16:33:35 EDT, jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) writes: << Why would he wear contacts only part of the time, then?>> My sister wears contacts, but on occasion wears glasses (if they break, get lost, eyes irritate, etc..) However Evan informed me that Linnell didn't like the thought of putting anything into his eyes. But then I thought maybe he was faced with wearing contacts or glasses and he settled with contacts (maybe he doesn't like the way he looks with glasses??) So in certain cases (ie Radio {WNEW} he would be comfortable with wearing his glasses) <> << While on WNEW this past February, Linnell said that he wished he'd brought his glasses when asked to read the lyrics /songs off of one of their CDs, admitting that he wasn't wearing contacts at the time and that he indeed needed them to read.>> Well, maybe this is one of those instances? Not being seen by others? Glasses okay! Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970526081312.009479e0@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:13:12 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: DAS IPI Could someone record a wav file of the DAS I Palindrome I, for those of us who haven't heard it. (I'd assume its on one of those DAS compilation tapes....) Also, there seems to be a little confusion... it is *Linnell* in the I Am Not Your Broom quicktime movie. He's wearing glasses. People have said they've seen Linnell wearing his glasses right before, and right after, concerts.... so it seems unlikely that he would put in contacts just for the concert, then take them out immediately. -ec ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:50:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526085009_70122647@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Purple Toupee = American Pie? Allo Listies-- I just realized that Purple Toupee and American Pie are very similar in that they both retell events of of the 60's. While Don McLean's American Pie is more mature and solemn than the fun and exciting Purple Toupee, there is obviously a common theme. Don McLean, who wrote American Pie in 1972 was much older in the 60s than the Johns were which would explain the immaturity and confusion of events on J&Js part. So in a way, I take Purple Toupee to be a "spin-off" of American Pie. Questions, comments? Open 24-7. Joel "Bye Bye Ms American Pie" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199705261403.JAA26725@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:02:59 -0500 (EST) Joel writes: > > (maybe he doesn't like the way he looks with glasses??) > He allowed a film of himself wearing his specs to be put on the Web, though, so he can't be *too* shy about them... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:03:41 -0400 (EDT) From: cheEsy the fun-licker Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-145 Message-ID: Our WonderNerd wrote... > > well, the first thing to consider is that usually the one who wrote it > > sings it. there are a few exceptions (Rat Patrol, Subliminal, and > > Cowtown), but generally that's the case. > > Linnell wrote Cowtown? Hmm... *nicole scratches her head* odd. He did sing a verse, but it doesn't seem his style. Has either of them claimed the song? > > of course, there are always counterexamples - Birdhouse in Your Soul is > > very much like many Flans songs, even though Linnell wrote it: > > There are always exceptions. Consider, also, "Put Your Hand Inside The > Puppet Head," which is very Linnelian; and "Stormy Pinkness," which is so > Flansburgh-esque that I had a tough time believing it was Linnell. I'm glad you mentioned that; the demo version of Stormy Pinkness was in fact sung by Flans. I'm assuming he wrote it, recorded a demo, realized it sucked (which it did) and had Linnell give it a whirl. ;) Someone wrote: > Stormy Pinkness is Linnell? How odd.... I still have a tough time > believing that now... I know Flans sings it. at least... I *think* > Flans sings it... I'm fairly positive it's Linnell. "Fahrty days this ahhfterno-on." :) Jenny wrote... > actually, but it's been a while...and I have no other way > of knowing this, so please don't snap at me, but does anyone have an idea > of when our boys will be back out on the road? The Factory tour is over, but I'm assuming they're getting ready to record "Insect Hospital" aka "Thing". Once that's out we should be set. Is anyone else a little worried because the Irving Plaza shows didn't really bring any "new" material? Another Josh wrote.. > Did anyone else see the car commercial with Jessica playing in the > background?? I don't know if it was the Allman Brothers version or the > TMBG version, because all I could hear was the guitars. Does anyone > know for sure, because I'm guessing it was the Allman Bros. *laughs* I think it's the Allman Bros. ;) Matt wrote... > On the topic of commercials, the Monopuff legacy seems to be living on. > This is the 3rd Washington metro area store that has played Guitar was > the Case as background music. Unfortunately, I can't remember which > store it was, but they played that so it was very cool. They seem to be > very popular in DC! Is this the Monopuff version or another version? I think it's a cover song (but I'm too lazy to pull out my CD to make sure :) \\\\ (X X) []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward [] "It's your own worst enemy ringing [] [] joshw@tmbg.org [] the bell on the door, and the person [] [] http://www.bgsu.edu/~joshw [] inside says nobody's home so your own[] [] IT Services - Marathon [] worst enemy peeks inside.." [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\--------------Dial-A-Sig------------/[] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33899B20.F0B25C24@ncweb.com> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:16:00 -0400 From: Rabid Child Subject: TMBG: Need an audio file of "someone keeps moving my chair" as the subject says... does anyone have an mp3/mide/ra/anything of skmmc? if you do... would you please email me at malink@ncweb.com ;) -Isis -- * ------------------------------------------------- ================================================= Z? -JTHM http://www.ncweb.com/users/malink/isis/ http://www.ncweb.com/biz/harvestmoon/ malink@ncweb.com ================================================= * ------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338965CD.4A23@baka.com> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:28:29 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Coke commercial, I Palindrome I ,etc > LOL! "CALL MY MOTHER!" Now that's just funny... But really, I > don't think that necessarily means that he wrote it; he's just apologizing > to his mother for singing a song with swearing in it. Anyone remember > that Info Club thing where he was talking about his parents? "I always > seem to inadvertantly swear when my parents are present. I don't usually, > Ma, really!" Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Well, yeah, I guess that's partially why he said that, but I personally think his continuous apologies to his momma before singing IPI(that's I Palindrome I and ahs nothing to do with irving plaza) have more to do with the first few lines and general theme of the song. "Someday mother will die and I'll get the money Mom leans down and says 'my sentiments exactly you son of a bitch'" etc.I might be wrong, but I think the song is about someone waiting for his mom to die and possibly plotting to kill her. -- "I trust you will tell me if I am making a fool of myself"-Pavement Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:51:18 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: NYC tab Message-Id: Okie Dokie. Well, for the following reasons: 1. I have an electric guitar 2. I can play 3. I can play WELL I have been choosen to accompany the 8th grade boys chorus in their singing of NYC. Now, the singing sounds, rather, crappy. So, I want to do my best to make the guitar part really spectacular. There is also a semi-decent drummer and even *squeal* chimes. So, if anyone has the tablature for the Schimerhorn solo at the end of NYC, or if they are in any place to figger it out, please please please email me. thankee. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:07:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526110712_1955921243@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Purple Toupee = American Pie? << I just realized that Purple Toupee and American Pie are very similar in that they both retell events of of the 60's. While Don McLean's American Pie is more mature and solemn than the fun and exciting Purple Toupee, there is obviously a common theme. Don McLean, who wrote American Pie in 1972 was much older in the 60s than the Johns were which would explain the immaturity and confusion of events on J&Js part. So in a way, I take Purple Toupee to be a "spin-off" of American Pie. Questions, comments? Open 24-7. Yes, yes yes!!!! I think I mentioned this before on the newsgroup a long time ago. The most striking thing to me is how they both relate the events in a symbolic, even poetic manner which allows the listener to enjoy the song even if he or she has little or no knowledge of the events and people being sung about. I have no idea if Linnell (assuming he wrote it) had "American Pie" in mind when he wrote "Purple Toupee," but it would be sooo cool if he did! Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970526112105.0100f324@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:21:08 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: NYC tab >I have been choosen to accompany the 8th grade boys chorus in their singing of >NYC. Now, the singing sounds, rather, crappy. So, I want to do my best to make >the guitar part really spectacular. There is also a semi-decent drummer and >even *squeal* chimes. So, if anyone has the tablature for the Schimerhorn solo >at the end of NYC, or if they are in any place to figger it out, please please >please email me. thankee. I think I can help... I only have some of it done, but I'm working on the rest. Oh, and I believe it's Mike Viola's solo. I hope you have a fixed amount of space for each character on your e-mail reader E-----------5-4-2h0-2-0-12-11-9-5-9-7-5-4-2h0-2----------------------------- --- B---0-5-7-9----------------------------------------------------------------- --- G--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- D--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- A--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- E--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- If anyone can correct or complete this, let me know... =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:36:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Mrs. Train Message-ID: I just realized how wonderful a song this is for relating the music to the theme or whatnot, and everyone here has probably noticed this already, but... They really do a great job of making the song remind you of a train starting to roll. Right at the beginning the wheels are going really slow... and that weird echoey sound only happens every 8th note or so.... then it starts to go every 4th... then every 2nd... then every note... then the low saxophone starts...then the drumbeat that sounds like a train going when the missing head lyrics start. When the train (song) is going, the people in the background who sing "missing heeeeead" sound strikingly like a train whistle! What talent! That is all, thank you... * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:33:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526113305_453373811@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? I called DAS and got some song with those lyrics "Operators are standing by?" I don't know what it is? Help please. Thanks, Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970526114305.009cb100@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:43:05 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Ondine / Don't Make Me Kill You Again / Concert Games... Can someone explain the relationship between these two songs? Also, what kinds of odd things have They done at concerts in the past? Recently they've had the "love cannon" , and a while ago they had Stump The Band. When did Stump The Band start? Did They do anything different back in The Day? -ec (PS. Didn't Linnell say 'This song is about Don Giovante (Sp?), but i didn't know that when *I* wrote it...' (not a quote) ) ------------------------------ From: KyeserSoze@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:48:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526124852_2053194097@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? Yoel97 said: >I called DAS and got some song with those lyrics "Operators are standing by?" > I don't know what it is? Help please. Well, you see-- it's a song. See, DAS stands for dial-a-song, and when you call up, you get a song played for you. It's not always the same song. Maybe that's why there was confusion over this song. Also, why do your first two sentences, which are obviously statements, end with question marks? -Sar Casm ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:55:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526125502_-61927088@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? In a message dated 97-05-26 12:53:00 EDT, KyeserSoze@aol.com writes: << Yoel97 said: >I called DAS and got some song with those lyrics "Operators are standing by?" > I don't know what it is? Help please. Well, you see-- it's a song. See, DAS stands for dial-a-song, and when you call up, you get a song played for you. It's not always the same song. Maybe that's why there was confusion over this song. Also, why do your first two sentences, which are obviously statements, end with question marks? >> Huh? I know what DAS (dial a song) is. When I called last night, the song that I got had lyrics to the extent of "operators are standing by". What SONG is this? That's all. Thank you. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 18:00:54 +0100 (BST) From: Rounds boost lager Subject: Re: TMBG: Operators are Standing By? Message-ID: On Mon, 26 May 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-05-26 12:53:00 EDT, KyeserSoze@aol.com writes: > > << Yoel97 said: > >I called DAS and got some song with those lyrics "Operators are standing > by?" > > I don't know what it is? Help please. > > Well, you see-- it's a song. See, DAS stands for dial-a-song, and when you > call up, you get a song played for you. It's not always the same song. > Maybe that's why there was confusion over this song. Also, why do your > first two sentences, which are obviously statements, end with question > marks? >> > > Huh? I know what DAS (dial a song) is. When I called last night, the song > that I got had lyrics to the extent of "operators are standing by". What > SONG is this? That's all. Thank you. It's called Operators are Standing By, surprisingly enough. DOH! __________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "My goodness! All my white socks have holes. I Derwent College shall be forced to wear black socks to work! University of York If only my pants reached the top of my shoes Heslington the other engineers might not notice..." York Geek Tragedy: Scott Adams YO1 5DD Flumcake On-line: Because Riverdance Must Die http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake __________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:29:18 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-145 Message-ID: On Mon, 26 May 1997, cheEsy the fun-licker wrote: > Our WonderNerd wrote... > > There are always exceptions. Consider, also, "Put Your Hand Inside The > > Puppet Head," which is very Linnelian; and "Stormy Pinkness," which is so > > Flansburgh-esque that I had a tough time believing it was Linnell. > > I'm glad you mentioned that; the demo version of Stormy Pinkness was in > fact sung by Flans. I'm assuming he wrote it, recorded a demo, realized > it sucked (which it did) and had Linnell give it a whirl. ;) Well, that would explain the Flansburgh-esque-ness of Stormy Pinkness... Thanks for the info, Josh; I'd thunk it was written by Linnell. :) --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705261803.AA18725@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Who writes what or what? Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:03:40 -0400 (EDT) > vs. > > There were 87 Advil in the bottle now there's 30 left. > I ate 47 so what happened to the other 10? > Why do you suspiciously change the subject and break my concentration > As I dump the bottle out and I count the Advil up again. I'm not really taking one side or the other since I haven't put enough thought into it, but I must point out that this is a very bad example. Till My Head Falls Off is a song written from the perspective of an overcaffeinated or pill-popping person. The erracticness and run-on-ness of it all fits the style of this one particular song. He had to write it this way. If Flans had a similar idea for a song he'd do the same type of thing. So I don't think it necessarily reflects his writing style so much as this particular song just called for that. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:09:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526140904_-263311441@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: multiple replies.:) Okay. Having not read the digests for over a month (!?) I decided this weekend was as good a time as any to NOT do my homework and rather catch up.:) Only thing is, I'm on vacation (read: without phone access) this weekend. Aurgh! So it'll be a couple days till I can send this, which I don't really think you care about, so I will stop this nonsense and start replying. re: tmbg helping with school: yup. back in earth science, we had to do a final project on any topic we wanted. And I of course chose - the sun. We could do it a variety of ways listed, and I chose a children's book. Gotta lurve those Johns. >MY favorite perfomance is the track from the towel-clad >Pual Belini . "Long Dark Twenties" is a great song. Yup. Paul Bellini.:) I've got his cd. It's available in 1 store in Toronto, or http://www.kidsinthehall.com. I've been filling up tapes with his music, those of you who've traded with me and gotten those know. :) It's a really great cd, and y'all should buy it.:) Scott Thompson makes a few appearances on it as well (once as Buddy Cole). >If you haven't seen the show, contact someone who can >get you a tape or watch it on comedy central. ::raising hand:: I can be the someone - I've got every episode and most of the rare skits. And countless related KITH (and TMBG) stuff.:) >am I the only one that thinks "The Bells are Ringing" >is about religious brainwashing? I dunno, but considering "Dirtbike" is, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.. >Last time I ordered from the Info Club, they shipped it >in a spare box they had lying around... turned out to >be a box that had formerly held copies of SEXXY... Yup, mine was in a box from Restless.:) I forget what exactly it said on it though.. something. And my mug was wrapped in an old info club letter. :) >A while back somebody posted saying that Flansburgh is >not the voice(s) on the Mono Puff song Hello Hello. I >think somebody said it might have been Joshua Fried. I >seiously doubt this. Does anybody know, because I'm >sure it's Flans. Why don't you ask Fried himself? jf@escape.com (i think that's it..) >Does anyone on the list share a birthday with Linnell >or Flansburgh? If so, do you find any commonalities >between yourself and a Giant? I happen to share a birthday with Keanu Reeves and Robert Shapiro (eeew..) But Scott Thompson of the KITH shares Linny's b'day. I find them both veeerrrry talented (and gorgeous). :) >Apollo 18- the mission after the last real Apollo >mission. Don't forget - if you count Fingertips as one track - there's 18 tracks. :) >Factory Showroom- I dunno. I was in Toronto and saw a truck that said "Our Factory Is Our Showroom!" :) Maybe they saw that truck, lol. >sts i have been on do not house the artist under a penn name. and most of the artists in >reference would be very nervous to find this much concentrated discussion happening with >their music. 2 other lists I'm on - the musicians do read and post (and confirmed it is them in person, not imposters) in fact one in particular just posted to ask if any of his fans had x-files tapes to copy for the band. How great is that? =D and 3/5ths of the Kids in the Hall read the KITH newsgroup (but don't post). It's kinda cool - no- very cool -- but sometimes you gotta watch what you say . >Is Flood the one almost platinum, with another album >gone gold? And if so, which one was it? Apollo 18. I'm guessing. >For any of you who can't remember the DAS number, Gosh this reminds me of something eeevil I did. :) The other day, a complete stranger Instant Messaged me (what else is new on AOL) and asked me if I knew the phone # to order tickets for some show I had never heard of. So I gave her the DAS #. :} To which she said "Thank you soooo much!" I feel kinda bad, but.. It's for Them.:) Am I the only one here who's constantly attempting to scratch the # into changing room stall walls and the like?:) Oh! You know what I did with my Lincoln, Misc T and Pink cd's? Well I had gotten these things that hold the back of a cd and you can stick them on the wall for my autographed BNL cd. And so I put 3 more on the wall -for said TMBG cd's. Nice eye candy.:) >black One-Stars on Flans on multiple occasions.. Yeah, in fact have the same ones, with the >'s by the stars. Check out that groovy pic showing them on flans on the page I _never_ update: http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/coolstuff.html >It's so uncanny, but I know a guy who looks E X A C T L Y >like Linnell. Coincidence or conspiracy? Neither. Introduce him to me.;) sarah --> who called up a college station (WITR)to hear TMBG, and when she requested NYC was greeted back with "You know that's a Cub cover?" Purty coool... ;) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705261826.AA18761@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Guitar was the case/New material Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:26:37 -0400 (EDT) > Someone wrote: > > Stormy Pinkness is Linnell? How odd.... I still have a tough time > > believing that now... I know Flans sings it. at least... I *think* > > Flans sings it... > > I'm fairly positive it's Linnell. "Fahrty days this ahhfterno-on." :) Linnell definitely sings Storm Pinkness, there is no doubt about that. That would throw the argument to whether he wrote the song strongly in his favor, but it is not unheard of that one would write a song for the other to sing. Although I can't think of one off the top of my head. > > Jenny wrote... > > actually, but it's been a while...and I have no other way > > of knowing this, so please don't snap at me, but does anyone have an idea > > of when our boys will be back out on the road? > > The Factory tour is over, but I'm assuming they're getting ready to > record "Insect Hospital" aka "Thing". Once that's out we should be > set. Is anyone else a little worried because the Irving Plaza shows > didn't really bring any "new" material? Well, the stuff on the Factory Showroom Sessions, while not completely new was never released and if you were, say, never on this list you probably wouldn't even know they were on the FS tapes and thought they were brand spanking new, so basically that stuff is new material that has a good chance being on the new album. People have to remember that a lot of fans of TMBG are not on this list and don't have access to all of the information we receive. Also, they played that new song, the Value of Human Sacrifice which I have yet to hear. > Matt wrote... > > On the topic of commercials, the Monopuff legacy seems to be living on. > > This is the 3rd Washington metro area store that has played Guitar was > > the Case as background music. Unfortunately, I can't remember which > > store it was, but they played that so it was very cool. They seem to be > > very popular in DC! > > Is this the Monopuff version or another version? I think it's a cover song > (but I'm too lazy to pull out my CD to make sure :) It was definitely the Monopuff version, or at least I'd bet donuts for dollars that it was. I didn't even know it was a cover, who sings the original? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705261835.AA18773@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: various Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:35:55 -0400 (EDT) > > > (maybe he doesn't like the way he looks with glasses??) > > > > > > > He allowed a film of himself wearing his specs to be put > > on the Web, though, so he can't be *too* shy about them... > > > > > > m@t This is very baffling. I'm almost certain he doesn't wear contacts because I've seen him wearing glasses right after shows on a few times. I also understand how much of a pain contacts can be, always putting them in, taking them out, plus I just hate them, they can be a pain. It's also pretty common that some people just don't like to be seen in glasses for wahtever psychological reasons. But to wear them sometimes in public, in videos, but not most of the other time...what could it mean? We once again explore the strange and bizarre mind of John Linnell. Maybe it's just the fact of being right on the stage in front of hundreds or thousands of people that the breaking point occurs? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970526144813.009cb320@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:48:13 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: uh... quick, think of a subject... I think they should release an interview CD (to the public). That would be cool. Also, In twenty years or so they should follow the Beatles footsteps and release a bunch of outtakes and studio coolness. (Or follow the Smashing Pumpkins and do it right now...). -ec ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 13:56:48 -0500 (CDT) From: May Anna Schaeffer Subject: TMBG: T:TEY Message-ID: So, does anyone know what I can do about the second cd of this set that I just bought? I put it in my cd player and the end of Ana Ng keeps skipping. This only happens when I use my stereo, when I put it in my cd rom it doesn't happen. What should I do? May "If you hear only one song this year there's something terribly wrong with you." --They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:07:25 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Car commercial Message-ID: On Sun, 25 May 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > Did anyone else see the car commercial with Jessica playing in the > background?? I don't know if it was the Allman Brothers version or the > TMBG version, because all I could hear was the guitars. Does anyone > know for sure, because I'm guessing it was the Allman Bros. > Josh Nielsen > No, it's the Allman Bros.' version. I think with this song, its pretty safe to assume that it's the AB version, because, unfortuantely, we still live in a world where, when one mentions TMBG, the response one tends to get is, "Who?" Sigh....someday, guys, someday. ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199705262057.PAA05722@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Car commercial Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 15:56:48 -0500 (CDT) > safe to assume that it's the AB version, because, unfortuantely, we still > live in a world where, when one mentions TMBG, the response one tends to > get is, "Who?" Sigh....someday, guys, someday. Altogether too true, but this morning, Birdhouse got played on Q101 in Chicago, I gather during their "Retro Flashback" lunch or something like that... I was just driving home from college (School's out; just spent the weekend with friends), flipping through channels, and there it was. The DJ sounded pretty excited to be playing the song, and he had a list of about five people who had requested it... I wasn't expecting that out of Q101... Although remember when Spiralling Shape was on the Cage Match for a month or so? Hee hee... Returning to his hole, pez Cyborg "Pez" Kucera - http://www.earthreach.com/~pez - pez@earthreach.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 17:39:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526173918_1855691433@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Operators/Glasses "Operators are Standing By" is just a cute, if slightly chauvenistic, little song about a bunch of typical, bored, gossipy operators and what they do while waiting for calls to answer. All I remember offhand is the chorus: "Operators are standing by/smoking ciggarettes and drinking coffee/ (can't remember the next line) "and wish they could go home." And the boss going, "That's enough, ladies," or something like that. To slightly change the "focus" of the "Linnell's glasses" thread (har har), I noticed when looking at my Then:The Early Years booklet that there are several old pics of Flans without his specs (like the one on the cover of the "Don't Let's Start" single). It made me wonder: did he often perform without them at first? Kay, who thinks the Johns would be Mighty scared at how we obssess over these things ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 17:40:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526174032_642677511@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Chicago radio Hello 41- In a message dated 97-05-26 17:03:00 EDT, CJ wrote: << Altogether too true, but this morning, Birdhouse got played on Q101 in Chicago, I gather during their "Retro Flashback" lunch or something like that... The DJ sounded pretty excited to be playing the song, and he had a list of about five people who had requested it... I wasn't expecting that out of Q101...>> As much as I don't like Q101, they do play TMBG a bit more than all the other really big alternative stations. For several weeks, they'd play Don't Let's Start as the first song of the Retro Lunch. I have heard Birdhouse several times, Particle Man once. I heard them play Ana Ng a few times, and JH stuff too. When TMBG played U of Chicago, they talked about (briefly) how Q101 was playing Spiraling Shape a lot (I think the final number of days on the Cage Match was about 45, which spanned over almost two months) Then they played it, and it wasn't on the set list (I have it). Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338A0943.AA29E549@ncweb.com> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 18:05:55 -0400 From: Engel der Vernichtung Subject: TMBG: Car Commercial > Queen Sneepy wrote: > > > No, it's the Allman Bros.' version. I think with this song, its pretty > > safe to assume that it's the AB version, because, unfortuantely, we still > > live in a world where, when one mentions TMBG, the response one tends to > > get is, "Who?" Sigh....someday, guys, someday. > > --actually it would be entirely possible for this to be the TMBG > version... > proof: in one car commercial.. i don't remember which one.. They play a > "catchy little tune" it goes: "are you free? are you really free? are > you really really really really really free?...." you would think it to > be a normal mainstream song, but in actuality it's a song my Psychik TV > called Roman P. (Roman Polanski) > > -Isis > -- ======================================== We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl Year after year... ======================================== http://www.ncweb.com/users/malink/isis/ ======================================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 19:00:21 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199705270000.TAA26801@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Operators/Glasses >"Operators are Standing By" is just a cute, if slightly chauvenistic, little >song about a bunch of typical, bored, gossipy operators and what they do >while waiting for calls to answer. All I remember offhand is the chorus: > "Operators are standing by/smoking ciggarettes and drinking coffee/ (can't >remember the next line) "and wish they could go home." And the boss going, >"That's enough, ladies," or something like that. I believe the missing line is "bounce their shoes at the end of their feet" and the last line is "That's enough talking, ladies". >Kay, who thinks the Johns would be Mighty scared at how we obssess over these >things And rightly so. What does their vision matter... Mitch ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 21:19:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970526211943_587661092@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: shyness Well, last summer, I saw They in CT, and after the show, my sister and I tried to get Their autographs. We saw Them leave out of a side entrance, so we followed Them. We asked for aurographs, but They (who were outside of a Cadillac and John was wearing glasses) said that They were too busy and really had to get going.....and Flans said something about bad experiences with fans......it really seemed as though They were afraid of us!!! They put us on the guest list for their Hartford show 2 days later, but I was still quite disappointed. I therefore concluded that maybe some of those people who are freaky about their They obsession have ruined the chances for the rest of us who adore Them so and mean Them no harm....... SUZZIE5808 ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199705270127.UAA12809@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: various Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 20:27:59 -0500 (EST) Matt James writes: > > This is very baffling. I'm almost certain he doesn't wear contacts > because I've seen him wearing glasses right after shows on a few times. I agree, I don't think that he does wear contacts. > I also understand how much of a pain contacts can be, The worst possible situation I can think of in which to wear contacts, especially for one who wears them only occasionally, would be on stage in a smoke-filled club. Besides, all of the evidence points to his not being able to see terribly well onstage. Also, I've seen him directly before and after shows wearing his glasses; most likely scenario is that he takes them off before the show and goes onstage blind. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 21:36:04 -0400 () From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's eyesight Message-ID: On Sun, 25 May 1997, Wilson Dorward wrote: > > Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Linnell is actually > > farsighted rather than nearsighted? I get the impression that he reads a > > lot and would therefore wear glasses only when he needed to see something > > close-up which would explain why he can read a set list at his feet. > > Also, they've hosted 120 minutes before and have obviously been reading > > prompters while doing so, and Linnell has never had much of a problem. > > Of course, I don't know Linnell personally, so I could be wrong..... > This makes sense. I'm not sure how close to the truth it is however. > Does anyone know how long Linnell has had these glasses? If he > didn't have them, say in the 80's, I'd have to say he's getting > farsighted (It comes with age)(not saying he's old.....) Eric Linnell has worn glasses since he was a kid. He just doesn't wear them in concert. I doubt he can see anyone in the crowd, as he is very nearsighted. The lack of glasses on stage also helps him keep some anonymity offstage (f.e. on the subway in NYC). Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg Jeep Driver, Poker Time! telnet://the-next-girl.cs.uchicago.edu:7000 ObWittySig: "My cat's breath smells like cat food."--Ralph Wiggum ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 23:10:45 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Message-ID: Thank you thank you thank you thank you to those of you who helped me locate the hidden song on FS. Turns out I could use my cd player. You guys are great. Thanks again. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: NEXT TOUR!!! Message-ID: <19970526.211229.14670.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 23:13:03 EDT I have no other way of knowing this, so please don't snap at me, but does anyone have an idea of when our boys will be back out on the road? ---> when i asked at the KU show the tour manager said they'd be back on tour in mid to late august "assuming all goes well" or something along those lines... i asume that means productivity of the next album?? anyways, let's all hope that they come back on tour super soon and make every other stop denver!!! woohoo (youpi! for all ye french speakers out there!) "this is the worst part, could believe for all the world that" I'M YOUR PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL!!!!! ---TMBG, with a twist (has anyone else ever sung DLS like that? or am i the only crazy freek out there?) love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: I pal I Message-ID: <19970526.211229.14670.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 23:13:03 EDT ************* 1. on the Live in NY cd, before doing the song, Flans says "i would like to personally apoligize to my mother before performing this song", meaning he wrote it... 2. On a radio interview, after performing IPI, Linnell asks if the dj wants to know what the songs about, the dj says "no thats ok" but then Flans in a funny voice says "CALL MY MOTHER!", explaining what its about :) 3. Flans sings and wrote the DAS I Palindrome I, so i would think he would wrote like, the sequel too. ************* NNONONONOOOO!!!!!! flans wrote the DAS version with "i palindrome i, born on the 5th of july" and linnell came in and put all the palindromes in and changed the lyrics to it's current form however, flans wrote the music for both versions. "it's a nightmare that you'll never be discovering" love, JOrdaN oh yeah, one more thing: does this sound weird to any of you>> "even if he is playing a furious accordion" i'm sorry but every concert i've been to, linny is rather calm and stays pretty still except when goes to get more coffee or is trying to screw everyone up at the end of spy.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 00:02:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Operators/Glasses Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-May-97 TMBG: Operators/Glasses by Kaylum@aol.com > several old pics of Flans without his specs (like the one on the cover of the > "Don't Let's Start" single). It made me wonder: did he often perform actually, he's holding them in his left hand, there... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 18:41:58 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: Car commercial Message-ID: <19970526.213934.5150.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I'm not sure 100%, but i think it is called stuccado? Forgive me if someone who really knows thinks I'm an idiot. Josh Nielsen On Mon, 26 May 1997 00:23:25 -0700 Kevin McGuire writes: >I bet there is some musical terminology for that. Anyone out there with >Musical Knowledgeknow? > >The ignorant- >Kevin McGuire > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 21:46:59 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970526204113.1be74294@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: TMBG: Re: Jessica >Well, and forgive me if i dont know what Im talking about, but when I >listened to the car commercial, it sounded different from the TMBG >JEssica because the notes kinda run together whereas with the TMBG one, >they are more separated from each other, like there is more of a pause >before they advance to the next note or something. I bet there is some >musical terminology for that. Anyone out there with Musical Knowledge >know? > >The ignorant- >Kevin McGuire TMBG play it staccato, The Allman Bros. play it more legato. And a little off subject: aren't there better topics to post about than Linnell's eyesight? I mean, if it really means this much to you all, just hunt down his optometrist or something. Trace those glasses frames back to a pawn shop in west virginia. do whatever you like. in the middle of a concert, hold up th test boards with W's and E's all over it and politely ask him to read it off to you. whatever you want. but PLEASE! Not on the list! and if it has to be on the list, not for weeks at a time. just a suggestion. Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/2210/ <===== my homepage "I'm lonely and I'm right" - Ben Folds Five -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GMU/L/O d+ s a---- C++ U--- P L- E? W++ N++ o K- w+ O- M-- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP- t+ !5 X++ R tv++ b+++ DI++ D++ G e* h! r% x -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK----- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-146 ******************************