Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-147 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 147 Wednesday, 28 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Quicky stufffs.. TMBG: is this offical now?? Re: TMBG: Operators/Glasses RE: TMBG: stuff and stuff TMBG: meeting them RE: TMBG: stuff and stuff Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff TMBG: ? TMBG: equisite Re: TMBG: equisite TMBG: question Re: TMBG: question TMBG: Birdhouse Sheet Music Scans TMBG: NYC (solo) RE: TMBG: question TMBG: Pseudonyms? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 Re: TMBG: question TMBG: Fav novelties Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 Re: TMBG: Fav novelties Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert Re: TMBG: meeting them Re: TMBG: question TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert Re: TMBG: questions TMBG: Moths beat on the windowpane Re: TMBG: question Re: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert (none) Re: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert TMBG: my contest TMBG: cabbagetown Re: TMBG: question Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 03:04:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Quicky stufffs.. Message-ID: Lets see if I can get this off before I get disconned.. To may, with her problen of 2nd disc in cd player: Your CD player or Cd might need to be cleaned. I know in the first case, you'll have to take it in to a repair store to do it, or it'll get wrecked allthogether. If it's -just- that CD, tho, I recommend just playing it in your CD ROm. :) OBTHEY: We were having a discussion in the car on the way to a Mem. Day party today about whether or not They is a well-known band. I mentioed 2 or the 3 shows I've seen them in were sold out, and lots others sell out, too. Based on this and other discussion, we decided they're a fairly big band, yet small enough that while a good deal of the general so-called 'alternative' populace probably at least knows they exsist, a lot of other people would be clueless. And that they're bigger than the Goo Goo Dolls or Ani DiFranco. We also determined it's pretty much a all-or-nothing thing: Either you love everything They do (if not at first, eventually), or you could care less, unlike some bands, where you can like one song and absolutely hate the rest. So I was wondering- how many of you out there are the 'all' type, and how many of you classify They as the "like some stuff and hate other stuff" band? I doubt there's any of the "could care less" crowd, cause that type wouldn't bother subbing to this list. :) Woops. Gonna get disconned. Gotta go.... Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Message-Id: <29401.199705261920@potter.cc.keele.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: is this offical now?? Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 20:20:52 +0100 (BST) Everyone: Is this right, the Factory Showroom tour really has *finished*??? Cos if it has, it's not been to Europe... The last time They were in London was '94, when I was still at school. I am now a finalist at University. I think that if it is, we on this side of the Atlantic, all us Europens, are allowed to become miffed now! any offical word on this? Nicola (ps: Matt, I don't know why you aren't getting my mails, but I am here, on the hill, not in London!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:06:07 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Operators/Glasses Message-ID: On Mon, 26 May 1997 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > "Operators are Standing By" is just a cute, if slightly chauvenistic, little > song about a bunch of typical, bored, gossipy operators and what they do > I love this song. It, like Maine, just make me laugh and laugh. Especailly that part about passing around a picture of a Mobius strip, that cracks me up. I just thought you'd all like to know that. Thank you and good night! > > Kay, who thinks the Johns would be Mighty scared at how we obssess over these > things > This is one of those things I think about when I like somethig a lot, like Them...I mean, when does it stop being a healthy obsession and become just a sickness? I suppose when you devote an entrie web page to one guy. I dunno. I've always had this vision of somehow meeting the Johns (ahh....) and saying something about this list. Then they'd get this odd look on their faces, edge away..."Uh...we...gotta go!" "Hey, guys, where ya going? Wait, I can't run that fast!" Oh well. ________> Stefanie Elliott <____> smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu <________ *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html* And come see my suave Craig Kilborn page: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html TMBG + Conan O'Brien + MiSTie #14672 + Medievalist + Star Wars + DNRC = Fun! ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 28 May 1997 01:38:26 +1000 Message-ID: <000E44FA.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: RE: TMBG: stuff and stuff Sorry to be doing this. I think I may be having a problem with my email server, it's not sending to the list. This is an old topic, but it's one that didn't make it through last time. Let's see if I can get this thing to work this time ---------- >Third? I have no clue. They do Birdhouse really really well in concerts... b >ut maybe >I'd ask for Why Must I Be Sad or Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes... So that makes two people who have "Two songs in them, but cannot pick a third..." (sorry about that pun gang :) As for my Top Three - 1) Greek #3 - it'd be fun trying to see if they can pronounce it still 2) James K Polk (if I get to play with the cannon, of course) 3) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon (no real reason... it's just a cool song) Also... sorry if you've all received this message previously. I'm having trouble seeing when I send a message to the list (ie - it never shows up in my inbox, anyways). If Leo can read this, can you let me know?? It feels as though I'm the only one left on moderation... Andrew Callaghan ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705271649.AA19287@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: meeting them Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:49:01 -0400 (EDT) > This is one of those things I think about when I like somethig a lot, > like Them...I mean, when does it stop being a healthy obsession and > become just a sickness? I suppose when you devote an entrie web page to > one guy. I dunno. I've always had this vision of somehow meeting the > Johns (ahh....) and saying something about this list. Then they'd get > this odd look on their faces, edge away..."Uh...we...gotta go!" "Hey, > guys, where ya going? Wait, I can't run that fast!" Oh well. I think the best way of meeting Them would be in some public place (not a concert) perhaps in NYC. You would have to feign ignorance of TMBG. What you would do is just bump into them at a store or some such place and say, "Excuse me," and sort of get a conversation going. Of course you'd never actually be able to really talk about how you are a big fan, that you love them or whatever because then the gig would be up and they'd realize you really were a big fan. So next time you are wandering the streets of New York and you see them try that. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705271652.AA19294@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: RE: TMBG: stuff and stuff Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:52:04 -0400 (EDT) > As for my Top Three - > > 1) Greek #3 - it'd be fun trying to see if they can pronounce it still My guess is that Linnell wrote the lyrics down and then read them as he sang them. I doubt he speaks Greek very well or that he has the lyrics memorized. > 2) James K Polk (if I get to play with the cannon, of course) Heck, they never know what's going to happen with the cannon or what is going to come out so I don't see why they'd see you less capable to fire it, yehaw! > 3) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon (no real reason... it's just a cool song) Well, they'd have to pack up and never perform again if they ever play this song live again. I doubt they've played this since the 80s. Anyone have a bootleg with this on it from the last 6 or 7 years? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338B2016.13017E71@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:55:34 -0400 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff > > 3) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon (no real reason... it's just a cool song) > Well, they'd have to pack up and never perform again if they ever play > this song live again. I doubt they've played this since the 80s. > Anyone have a bootleg with this on it from the last 6 or 7 years? Theyve never played this song live. And its a real shame. Kevin ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: ? Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:56:00 -0700 hey, this is Brenden, and I haven't received anything from the list for about a week and a half, so someone please help me out here. brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: equisite Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:08:00 -0700 i asked sent this into the list a while ago. but i my mail has been screwed up. so i'll have to ask again. i have the bass line for EDG, but i lost the chords for the little interlude. i can't get them off the .org page because it won't load for some reason, so could anybody help me with what the chords are? please brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:48:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: equisite Message-ID: Yes, I have all the notes for Exquisite Dead Guy, since I'm playing it for the tribute album. Here they are: BASS during "ba's" :E, C#, A, F#, B, A, G#, A, B CELLO: E E E E E E E E, E E E E E E E E EbEbEbEbEb F#F#F#F#F# (cello is supposed to be played double string, so the E's and E flat's are at the same time, same with the F#'s) Music behind "how'm I sposed to let you know the way I feel" CELLO: C# A A# C G# BASS behind the really loud part: C# E A F# C# F G# There aren't any real chords in this song, just notes. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 27 May 1997, Rensink, Brenden BHS wrote: > i asked sent this into the list a while ago. but i my mail has been > screwed up. so i'll have to ask again. > > > i have the bass line for EDG, but i lost the chords for the little > interlude. i can't get them off the .org page because it won't load for > some reason, so could anybody help me with what the chords are? > > please > > brenden - nednerb > ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: question Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:44:44 EST Message-Id: <199705272144.5934100@cyberia.com> 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? 2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? Steve ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:48:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: question Message-ID: * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 27 May 1997, The Christ Family wrote: > 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? 2040 Tour! > > 2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? Bubbles 4-way TMBG logo > > 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? The Infamous TMBG Homemade Atomic Bomb > > > Steve > > ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 18:06:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970527180555_1822517583@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse Sheet Music Scans I scanned the copy of Birdhouse In Your Soul I received from Anne. If you would like a copy (JPEG Format), email me. I will send it out Friday night. So therefore, let me know by then and I'll email it to everyone who requests it at once. It will be in a series of six emails (six pages) because I don't have a mime encoder or zipper. Joel "Copyright Infringement" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 18:18:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970527181700_-496045771@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NYC (solo) >Oh, and I believe it's Mike Viola's solo. Ack ack! It's Lyle Workman. not that Mike Viola hasn't probably played it, but on fs it's Lyle Workman, also of Mono Puff fame, who is cool. soon to embark on a personal quest to find the asskickingest guiatrist ever to play with tmbg... moose "you had cable!" ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: question Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:22:10 -0700 >---------- >From: Tom Hare[SMTP:tomhare@freenet.tlh.fl.us] >Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 1997 2:48 PM >To: The Christ Family >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: question > >> 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? > >The Infamous TMBG Homemade Atomic Bomb Some assembly required. Batteries, photon strobe, and uranium not included. Use only under close adult supervision. Not recommended for children under age 3. Jesse (: ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 23:40:35 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970527145740.2dc713ce@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Pseudonyms? Hey all, Justa quick one..... Have TMBG ever performed under a pseudonym? I don't count "El Grupo de Rock n Roll" (or whatever it was) since that was their moniker before they became TMBG. Like..... Have any of their gigs ever been advertised/promoted as "a performance by....." anything _BUT_ TMBG? (F'rinstance "The Twin Quasars" (now THAT would be pretty cool) or "The Brooklyn Ambassadors Of Love")? Answers on a postcard or sealed down e-mail to reach me by a year ago last Thursday. Winners get to pick their own nose. No correspondence will be entered into blah blah etc etc phhhhhhhrrrrrrr ;) Joe xox PS Live sorta sux don't ya think? -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199705272328.QAA08843@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 18:28:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 Help!! I heard Spiraling shape on the radio about a year ago and I would like to know what C.D. it is on (I think it is on a soundtrack). Also,I was taking a test in social studies,when I saw a city in Vietnam named Da Nang.Look at the similarity Da Nang Ana Ng . I don't think this matters, but I liked to point it out. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970527162922.0070cd2c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:29:35 -0700 From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: TMBG: question At 05:44 PM 5/27/97 EST, you wrote: >1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? Prolly World Tour 2040, for its understated, tongue-in-cheek humor. >2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? Dunno. I never paid much attention to the hats. The new one, I guess. The one with the bubbles. >3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? Easy! The TMBG truck! :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:48:24 +1000 From: Kristi Connolly Subject: TMBG: Fav novelties What is your fav TMBG novelty item? Well... did they ever sell a Blue Canary Nitelite? If they did, then I want one, and if not, well, why not?? (I'm moderately disappointed with the novelty range advertised on www.tmbg.com, btw. If anyone can tell me what TMBG Productions' service to overseas customers is like, I'll be buying anyway.) Kris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970527200105.0069ba24@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:01:05 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 It's on Factory Showroom and it's also on the soundtrack to Brain Candy. TTYL, -Adam At 06:28 PM 5/27/97 -0500, you wrote: > Help!! I heard Spiraling shape on the radio about a year ago and I >would like to know what C.D. it is on (I think it is on a soundtrack). /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970527200036.006a10c0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:00:36 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav novelties Considering how lousy it is for those of us in the U.S., I'd imagine it's even worse for people overseas. :< TTYL, -Adam At 09:48 AM 5/28/97 +1000, you wrote: >(I'm moderately disappointed with the novelty >range advertised on www.tmbg.com, btw. If anyone >can tell me what TMBG Productions' service to >overseas customers is like, I'll be buying >anyway.) >Kris > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-146 Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:48:18 EST Message-Id: <199705280048.6070600@cyberia.com> > Help!! I heard Spiraling shape on the radio about a year ago and I >would like to know what C.D. it is on (I think it is on a soundtrack). Um..... that's easy, its on Factory showroom Steve ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 21:29:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970527212946_70314138@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff I think this is a cool thread...if i can ask for them to play any song/s at a concert, theyd probabaly be----- 1- Become a Robot. Id just like to see that. 2-Just about any track from Misc.T, Track 13 would be interesting performed by the Johns... 3-I know this is cheating again, but just about any DAS...but if i ad to pick some cool ones to play, they may be Cupid, (id like to hear a more instrument-filled rocked up version of this song, weird man), Bread Hair (oh boy oh boy), and hmm....i guess Weep Day, or I Find It Hard To Believe would be funny. Id basically just ask for any song ive never heard them play in concert, like a durhh. Jordan, listenin to Flood for the first time in months! "Now its over im dead and i havent done anything that i want........" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970527214125.006aae98@awod.com> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 21:41:25 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert What songs from Their LPs and EPs (I'm not counting Dial-A-Songs) have they never played in concert? Just curious, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:38:12 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: meeting them Message-ID: On Tue, 27 May 1997, Matthew James wrote: > I think the best way of meeting Them would be in some public place (not > a concert) perhaps in NYC. You would have to feign ignorance of TMBG. >*snip* I've actually thought of this, too. (I have _a lot_ of time to think of such things. Be glad I keep most of them to myself.) I think feigning ignorance would be difficult because I a. practically live in my Worker Johns shirt, and b. I would probably freeze up and become the dorky fan girl that I am. Me: Ohmigod, it's the Johns of They Might Be Giants! Everyone else: Who? Some guy across the street: They sing that "Particle Boy" song, don't they? Me and the Johns: It's "Particle _Man_"! Me: I love you guys! Johns: Please don't touch us! Me: You're my favourite band! Johns: We...have to go! Me: Can I have your autographs? Johns: Police! And so on. I find it difficult to remain suave when I know what's going on. I was never any good at practicle jokes. But seriously, I think I'd be a little reluctant to approach them in public like that because I would be afraid of invading their privacy. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I did act my way out of a paper bag. So there! Take that, nay-sayers!" -Dave Foley ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:49:30 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: question Message-ID: On Tue, 27 May 1997, The Christ Family wrote: > 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? > I practically live in my Worker Johns shirt. Good fit, pleasing colors (go so well with my favorite green jacket). World Tour 2040 is nice for its humor, though... > 2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? > I'm gonna have to say the black one with the TMBG bubbles mainly 'cause that's the only one I've got. Kept the rain nicely off of my head and face at the Purdue show. > 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? > The Limited Edition They Might Be Giants Chess Set. The pawns are all Chesspiece Face (well, what did you expect?), the Johns are the king and queen (I'll let you all decide who goes what, because I don't want to get into that whole crazy "Which John is better?" debate again...), Rabid Child is the rook, Hot Cha is the bishop, and Particle Man is the knight. Hand carved in faux ivory, and comes with a board richly inlaid with 24k gold-toned trim. All in three easy payments of $19.95, not including shipping and handling. Brought to you by the Franklin Mint, because who else cares? Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I did act my way out of a paper bag. So there! Take that, nay-sayers!" -Dave Foley ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705280201.AA19534@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:01:13 -0400 (EDT) > What songs from Their LPs and EPs (I'm not counting Dial-A-Songs) have they > never played in concert? > > Just curious, Yow, quite a few I imagine, especially Misc T stuff! Actually, I'm sure they have played a good chunk of every album when they were touring for that particular album, but there are precious few I'm sure that they absolutely have never played live. Oh wait they've played the Pink album all the way through live. I don't think I've ever heard of Pencil Rain, Stand on Your Own Head, Stormy Pinkness, Ant, Minimum Wage, Letterbox, Hot Cha, Women & Men, Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love, Road Movie to Berlin, I'm Def, Which Describes How Your Feeling, Welcome to the Jungle, I Blame You, Moving to the Sun, Narrow Your Eyes, Hall of Heads, Hypnotist of Ladies, Space Suit, various Fingertips, Ondine, Mrs Train, A Self Called Nowhere, Terhmostat,Window, The Bells are Ringing being played live or seeing it live, although my memory can be faulty. I'm sure at least a few of those Flood ones were played but I wasn't around at TMBG concerts in '90. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705280205.AA19543@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: questions Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:05:15 -0400 (EDT) > > I would probably have to say the hats shirt, with the instruments as headgear. > > 2. Favorite hat? I don't really dig hats so none of the above. > > 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? TMBG cereal. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:24:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705280224.WAA27147@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Moths beat on the windowpane >of course, there are always counterexamples - Birdhouse in Your Soul is >very much like many Flans songs, even though Linnell wrote it: But that's dividing by line breaks in the song. List out the lyrics by breaks *in the lyrics* and it looks like this: I have a secret to tell from my electrical well. It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells. So you must listen to me, philibuster vigilantly My name is Blue Canary, one note spelled L-I-T-E And so on. > Would i be right when i make the assumption that most people prefer records > over cds? > If so, is that because they are more collectable? I see no reason to buy larger, more fragile discs that take $10,000 equipment to sound good and which degrade in quality every time you play them, thank you very much. Now, f you have the aforementioned expensive stereo system and you're completely anal about your record collection, yes, records will sound better. But for those without that kind of money, even a cheap CD player will still produce the same excellent (if digital) sound quality. >Also, i am pretty sure Flans wrote I Palindrome I. I know it sounds >Linnell-ian, but i have some evidence.... Flans *did* write the original I Palindrome I, featured on DAS, but when Flans decided that it wasn't worth continuing with, Linnell picked it up and took the one part he liked (the title) to write the song that appeared on A18. If nothing else, the style is quite obviously Linnellian. > LOL! "CALL MY MOTHER!" Now that's just funny... But really, I >don't think that necessarily means that he wrote it; he's just apologizing >to his mother for singing a song with swearing in it. Actually, he's apologizing to his mother for singing a song that talks about someone killing his mother to get insurance money. >Flans sings the DAS version of Rat Patrol, too, whereas Linnell sings on >the studio recording and the one or two times they played it in concert. Ah, but Rat Patrol (along with Subliminal and Cowtown) is one of the Three Special Exceptions: Flans wrote the lyrics and a sort of crappy melody, and performed it for DAS. Linnell got ahold of it, wrote brand-new music to it, and I suppose for that Flans let him sing it. >Did anyone else see the car commercial with Jessica playing in the >background?? I don't know if it was the Allman Brothers version or the >TMBG version, It's the Allman Bros. version. >I've never heard of someone losing his/her nearsightedness with age. >(unfortunatly) In fact, unless one does "eye exercises" (don't laugh, there are such things) your eyesight will actually get *worse* with age. Josh, overflowing with verbiage today... /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199705280334.WAA28711@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: question Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:34:10 -0500 (CDT) > 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? Worker Johns, w/ 2040 running a close second... > 2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? I've always loved the one with the big, cursive "They", with "Might be" and "Giants" written in the flowery tail of the word "They" > 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? They Might be Giants.... the FLAMETHROWER! (from altogether too many movie references, don't you agree?) (That was a subtle hint to go watch Spaceballs again, and GO SEE FIFTH ELEMENT if you haven't already... It's rather odd, and I gather not many people like it, but I love it...) [1] -CJ [1] Wouldn't that have worked much better with footnotes? Cyborg "Pez" Kucera - http://www.earthreach.com/~pez - pez@earthreach.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 23:43:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-May-97 TMBG: Songs they've never p.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > What songs from Their LPs and EPs (I'm not counting Dial-A-Songs) have they > never played in concert? as far as I can tell, they are the following: The World's Address, Stand on Your Own Head, Minimum Wage, Women and Men, They Might Be Giants, My Evil Twin, Hall of Heads, Hypnotist of Ladies, Fingertips (except Catching on Fire and Heart Attack), The Bells are Ringing, Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal, Hello Radio, Mr. Klaw, We've Got a World that Swings, Mrs. Train, Moving to the Sun, I Blame You, Welcome to the Jungle, I'm Def. notes: The only live version of Snowball in Hell that I know of is incomplete. It would be nice to get a complete version if anyone has one. (must be from a concert) Many shows from late 1993 include an instrumental version of "They Might Be Giants," but no lyrics, and a very incomplete song. They *have* played Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, some time on the John Henry tour. Unfortunately, no one that we know of caught it on tape. if anyone can refute any of those with proof (bootleg tapes would be nice), I'd like to see it (and trade for the tape if possible) the only ones I'm absolutely sure of are We've Got a World that Swings, Fingertips, and The Bells Are Ringing. (2 are so recent that everyone would remember, and the Bells would have shown up a lot if they played it at all, especially at Irving Plaza on 2/7, and it didn't. I have tapes from many different parts of the Apollo 18 and following tours, and have yet to encounter any fingertips besides Fire and Heart Attack) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970527204936.0070e0e0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:53:38 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd >Flans *did* write the original I Palindrome I, featured on DAS, but when >Flans decided that it wasn't worth continuing with, Linnell picked it up and >took the one part he liked (the title) to write the song that appeared on >A18. If nothing else, the style is quite obviously Linnellian. Sounds to me like Linnell also kept a fragment of the melody-- the melody on the words "I Palindrome I" is the same, but with a different rhythm. Of course, I could be making this up... --nicole the wonder nerd assiduously avoiding thoughts of her impending math midterm... anyone care to explain to me what a surface integral is and why I should care about it? *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970527235527.006ac4a8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 23:55:27 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert Wow, so they HAVE played Cabbagetown in concert? I'm kind of disappointed about missing that... Hmm...wouldn't it be incredibly spiffy if we could get them to play all of these songs...? TTYL, -Adam, blissfully dreaming that they will, one day... At 11:43 PM 5/27/97 -0400, you wrote: > >The World's Address, Stand on Your Own Head, Minimum Wage, Women and >Men, They Might Be Giants, My Evil Twin, Hall of Heads, Hypnotist of >Ladies, Fingertips (except Catching on Fire and Heart Attack), The Bells >are Ringing, Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal, Hello Radio, >Mr. Klaw, We've Got a World that Swings, Mrs. Train, Moving to the Sun, >I Blame You, Welcome to the Jungle, I'm Def. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 00:18:12 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: my contest Message-ID: Howdy. If you entered the contest on my page you have to enter again, because i lost my mail. :( Sorry about the inconvience! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705280445.AA22483@sloth.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: cabbagetown Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 00:45:49 -0400 (EDT) I think I remember them playing Cabbagetown in concert somehwere but I know they played Siftin' which is pretty cool, too! /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 01:09:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970528010931_1257070815@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: question 3. Is the only one I have an answer to. The shot glasses. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-147 ******************************