Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-149 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 149 Friday, 30 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Re: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert TMBG: WBS: next live chat time? Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN TMBG: the big stage TMBG: dedication/Julio Re: TMBG: WBS: next live chat time? Re: TMBG: harbor a PENGUIN TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher TMBG: Shadowy Men? Re: TMBG: The sun is a mass.... Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing Re: TMBG: Popular? Re: TMBG: Shadowy Men? RE: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing TMBG: Singing like a girl / Themes Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello Re: A.M.TMBG: John Henry and horrible flaming deaths TMBG: Re: John Henry and horrible flaming deaths Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-148 TMBG: Thanks TMBG: HCISLAG lyrics Re: TMBG: Singing like a girl / Themes Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN re:TMBG:album themes Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing Re: TMBG: HCISLAG lyrics Re: TMBG: Popular? Re: TMBG: harbor a PENGUIN TMBG: Tiny Toon's and TMBG TMBG: WinPlay3 TMBG: misunderstood lyrics Re: TMBG: Thanks Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 06:50:56 -0400 From: Lex Friedman Subject: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Jonah asked: *Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the *line in Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a *penguin" and not harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics Yes. Flansy, if you ask me, distinctly sings: Here's hoping you don't Harbor a Penguin Help, help, help, yourself Also, in verse one, I'm going to have to with tmbg.org's lyrics instead of the booklet's: Let's stick together 'cause we're number 'A' Let's stick to numbers 'cause we're grey! I can most easily distinguish lyrics in my car's stereo, and I'm confident this is what I heard. -Lex Friedman (Lexf@epix.net). "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of..." << They Might Be Giants >> ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 06:31:12 -0600 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Jonah asked: > Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the > line in Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a > *penguin" and not harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics I am the one that originally transcribed that song for tmbg.org from the Demo Tape (before Then came out), and at the time "penguin" was my best guess. I must say I am surprised that so many people agree with what I originally heard. I had intended to "fix" the lyrics for this song to match the lyrics booklet, but I... um... hadn't gotten around to it. No, scratch that, I'm just lazy. Anyway, if there's really contention about what is sung in this line, please discuss so I can know what to put there. At 4:50 AM -0600 5/29/97, Lex Friedman wrote: >Also, in verse one, I'm going to have to with tmbg.org's lyrics instead of >the booklet's: > > Let's stick together 'cause we're number 'A' > Let's stick to numbers 'cause we're grey! Well, "number 'A'" had a sort of TMBGish appeal to me as I was listening to it for the first time, but I really couldn't tell whether it was A or 8. So it could just as well, by my ears, be "8" and "great" instead. Or 'A' and "great," for that matter. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338D8D70.198C4CD8@ncweb.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:06:40 -0400 From: birddomo en via animo Subject: Re: TMBG: stuff and stuff Matthew James wrote: > > > As for my Top Three - > > > > 1) Greek #3 - it'd be fun trying to see if they can pronounce it still > My guess is that Linnell wrote the lyrics down and then read them as he > sang them. I doubt he speaks Greek very well or that he has the lyrics > memorized. --it even says in the liner notes thats his pronuncaition was described by a Greek as "crappy" -Isis -- ======================================== We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl Year after year... ======================================== http://www.ncweb.com/users/malink/isis/ ======================================== ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:17:02 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Message-ID: > *Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the > *line in Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a > *penguin" and not harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics > I think it's "deathwish." Penguin is just *too* weird. :) -Lani O:) Lani's Inverse Home Page: lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338DCC7F.25@journalx.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:35:43 -0700 From: Shane Ham Organization: Journal X Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN > > > *Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the > > *line in Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a > > *penguin" and not harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics > > > > I think it's "deathwish." Penguin is just *too* weird. :) Then I'm not nuts, because I thought it was "death wish" also. ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs they've never played in concert Date: 28 May 1997 09:37:22 GMT Message-ID: <5mguci$9u$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <3.0.1.32.19970527214125.006aae98@awod.com>, Adam Tyner writes: > What songs from Their LPs and EPs (I'm not counting Dial-A-Songs) have they > never played in concert? Since they occasionally do "first/second/third/... album" shows, I guess they've played all the songs on the regular albums at least once... Daniel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970529160511.006781a0@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:05:11 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: WBS: next live chat time? Sorry for the delay in posting - as finals draw nearer, it's getting rough. 1st - I'd like to thank all of you who did attend the commencement of the live TMBG chat at WBS. I met a lot of new people and also learned more info about the ones I already knew. :) Woo-hoo! So when would you like the next live chat? I was thinking of Sat., June 7th. As Lani said, a weekend would probably work out better for everyone. So, mail either me or to the list what times you think you might be able to come. Or if you'd like to suggest another day, mail me as well. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:08:00 -0700 I'm not seeing how "penguin" could sound like deathwish, or any of those other things. i've never heard the song though, so i can't say. they just don't sound all to similar to me. OH YEA! another thing. i had heard that THEN haas a little booklet inside. if this is true, what is in it, and how many pages is it? ---------- From: 'Lani' N Olson To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN Date: Thursday, May 29, 1997 8:17AM > *Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the > *line in Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a > *penguin" and not harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics > I think it's "deathwish." Penguin is just *too* weird. :) -Lani O:) Lani's Inverse Home Page: lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705291626.AA20537@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: the big stage Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:26:28 -0400 (EDT) > > Why don't They tour with any big touring tour thing? (Such as > > Lollappallooza, HORDE, or Ozzfest, hehe) Do they not get invited to such > > things, or would they not want the publicity involved with performing next > > to other, shitty, popular bands? > > I think perhaps that it's more of an attitude of not wanting to deal with > huge venues like that... TMBG strikes me as the kind of band that likes > playing in small, more intimate settings better... I think a lot of their > genius would be lost on a huge stage in front of hundreds of people who > won't be able to tell that Linnell's really looking straight at them... [1] Then why did they play with Hootie not once, but about 10 times at huge venues to open for them? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9705291632.AA20547@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: dedication/Julio Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:32:46 -0400 (EDT) > >> Based on this and other discussion, we decided they're a fairly big band, > >> yet small enough that while a good deal of the general so-called > >> 'alternative' populace probably at least knows they exsist, a lot of > >> other people would be clueless. > >IthinkmyfriendOlenputitbestwhenhesaidthatTheyarethemostpopularunpopularband > .Understand?I'msorrythisissoshmushedup,butforsomezanyreasonmyspacebarisn'two > rking. Now that is dedication to writing to the list!! > > Anyway, I think Their popularity really depends on your definition... If > you mean "how many people like them" like, say... Bush would be considered > popular. Or, like Julio Iglesias popular... how many people have heard of > them, or a song by them... > > So, I wouldn't say they've got "Bush flavor" popularity, but they do have > "Julio flavor" popularity.... you can go up to people (around here > anyway..) and scream "They Might Be Giants" and get a lot of "yeah, > particle man.." "hehe istanbul... they're funny" What are you talking about, Julio Iglasius is *HUGE*, everyone knows Julio, he is a million times more popular than Bush. I bet 99.9% of the people (in the U.S. at least) know who he is. A much smaller portion of the population has even heard of Bush even though they are a pretty big rock band. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:33:53 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: WBS: next live chat time? Message-ID: On Thu, 29 May 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > So when would you like the next live chat? I was thinking > of Sat., June 7th. As Lani said, a weekend would probably > work out better for everyone. So, mail either me or to > the list what times you think you might be able to come. > Or if you'd like to suggest another day, mail me as well. Yay! I could be there any time on Saturday (or Sunday, for that matter). It was fun! I'll arrange my weekend schedule for whatever time is picked. :) -Lani O:) Lani's Inverse Home Page: lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970529101222.0069511c@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:12:25 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: harbor a PENGUIN from Jonah: >Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the line in >Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a penguin" and not >harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics booklet of Then? It can sound like penguin, but to me it sounds like "death wish." Either way, it doesn't sound like wishnik. The "Then" lyrics seem to be somewhat inaccurate; for instance, in Weep Day, they have "hermit in a cave," but it sounds like "Buddhist in a cave." In Now That I Have Everything, they have the sensible lyric "the face inside the frame," but for some reason I can still only hear "the place inside the frame." I don't know who's really wrong, the booklet or me. Well, at least they got the "band with a chick singer" right instead of "bank with a chick singer," as misprinted in the first album lyrics. Back to work... ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338DBCF1.284@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:29:22 -0500 From: "Bill J. Michalski" Subject: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Dear Friends o' Giants, I was at a restaurant yesterday with a bunch of my friends. Our waiter was very friendly and we discovered in our conversation that he was also a DJ on the local "alternative" radio station. (John from "Joe & John: The Nocturnal Emission" on the Point, for all you St. Louis types). He was bragging of the fact that he had met Henry Rollins the night before, so I asked him if he had met John and John. His answer was, "Oh yeah, they're wierd. We were sitting in a restaurant and Linnell held up a pitcher of water and said, 'Wouldn't it be funny if there was a fish in this pitcher, cause then I might have to eat it,' and Flans replied, 'hey that's cool, let's write a song about that." That's all my waiter told me. Oh well, anyone heard a song about a fish in a pitcher? Peace in John and John, Bill from St. Louis ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:03:21 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Message-ID: On Thu, 29 May 1997, Bill J. Michalski wrote: > That's all my waiter told me. Oh well, anyone heard a song about a > fish in a pitcher? Haven't heard one, but that would be great if They were to write one. It would have special meaning to some of us in Seattle... -Lani O:) Lani's Inverse Home Page: lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:15:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705291915.PAA21549@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: TMBG: Shadowy Men? Does anyone else think that Guitar was the Case sounds a lot like Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet? For those of you non-Kids in the Hall fans, SMOASP do the KITH theme song. Marty ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338DD716.5FB@erols.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:20:54 -0400 From: Laurie Selmer Organization: Selmer Household Subject: Re: TMBG: The sun is a mass.... It's also great to sing when you're sunburned beyond recognition. It's been my theme song this week. Tracy "the Crisp" Selmer, who wishes she were as funny as Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:15:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705291915.PAA21579@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing > >Is it just me or does it seem like the Johns aren't incredibly good >singers? Did either of them ever sing in a choir (school/church)? In "Pet >Name" I notice JF's voice kinda (word? waver, wobble, uh...). (Then again >who in The World Of Rock is a good singer?) > > I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught me, is how to smile and long for God." Marty ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:16:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199705291916.PAA21598@sumter.awod.com> From: mmtom@awod.com (Marty Tomlinson) Subject: Re: TMBG: Popular? >Anyway, I think Their popularity really depends on your definition... If >you mean "how many people like them" like, say... Bush would be considered >popular. Or, like Julio Iglesias popular... how many people have heard of >them, or a song by them... > >So, I wouldn't say they've got "Bush flavor" popularity, but they do have >"Julio flavor" popularity.... you can go up to people (around here >anyway..) and scream "They Might Be Giants" and get a lot of "yeah, >particle man.." "hehe istanbul... they're funny" > >In conclusion, I forget what I was talking about. I probably said something >of value.... > While they're nowhere close to the popularity of Bush, loyalty is very underrated. With their brilliance, They have built an extremely loyal fan base of probably at least 200,000 people. In the eleven years They have been on the music scene since the Pink album, there have been many, many musical acts that have come and gone, but They just keep being themselves, and they have stood the test of time. Like it said in Automobile magazine, they may not be going to the Rock and Roll hall of fame, but lasting ten years in the music industry is quite an accomplishment. Marty > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970529152840.006adc04@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:28:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Shadowy Men? Yeah, I posted that that very same question a few months ago, and I was told it's supposed to sound like Dick Dale (IIRC). TTYL, -Adam At 03:15 PM 5/29/97 -0400, you wrote: >Does anyone else think that Guitar was the Case sounds a lot like Shadowy >Men on a Shadowy Planet? For those of you non-Kids in the Hall fans, SMOASP >do the KITH theme song. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:24:33 -0700 Heh. FISH THEME!!! Course, they'd then have to go back in time to play it at the Fish Theme show. You know, the one where they were the Clearwater Revival? (the most recent one, DUH!) (: Jesse, who apologizes for a little "inside" Seattle humor. >---------- >From: 'Lani' N Olson[SMTP:lanio@u.washington.edu] >Sent: Thursday, May 29, 1997 12:03 PM >To: McClusky, Jesse; 'Michelle w/ TMBG' >Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher > >On Thu, 29 May 1997, Bill J. Michalski wrote: > >> That's all my waiter told me. Oh well, anyone heard a song about a >> fish in a pitcher? > >Haven't heard one, but that would be great if They were to write one. It >would have special meaning to some of us in Seattle... > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 29 May 97 15:38 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing >I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught >me, is how to smile and long for God." Uh, I thought it was "Out of style and long forgot." Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970529160910.0095a9c0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:09:10 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Singing like a girl / Themes (were They in a choir?) >>I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught >>me, is how to smile and long for God." > > Uh, I thought it was "Out of style and long forgot." quick! get out your Factory Showroom Lyric Cubes! (another fav TMBG novelty item?) Oh, and does anyone think They *try* to make their albums have a common theme? (Such as Flood => religion ; John Henry => anti-technology) Or do you think they just put on whatever songs they happened to record? AAnd, what does the "they" skull have to do with anything? (besides being a reference to the work of James Ensor) And... that's all. -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970529130937.006f657c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 13:10:17 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello At 03:15 PM 5/29/97 -0400, you wrote: >I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught >me, is how to smile and long for God." "All that year of chorus taught me/ is out of style and long forgot," I think. :) Maybe we should start a TMBG mondegreens page. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:25:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529162440_587947181@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: John Henry and horrible flaming deaths In a message dated 97-05-29 09:14:32 EDT, you write: << Sleeping In The Flowers: The whole drunk driving motif >> OK.... how come I've never heard of this interp? What exactly is it? Am I just lazy and I could find it on the unofficial page? Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970529164219.0095a370@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:42:19 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Re: John Henry and horrible flaming deaths ><< Sleeping In The Flowers: The whole drunk driving motif >> > >OK.... how come I've never heard of this interp? >What exactly is it? no big interpretation.... just the lyrics: "I got a ride home with a drunk guy" I wouln't go so far as to call it a motif... although there amy be more to that than I think... Oh, and anyone have sound files (preferably mp3 or wav) of Unrelated Thing and/or Do Not Forsake Me, live before JH (the "better" versions, from what I heard...) -ec, who listened to JH today for the first time in a while... can you tell? ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:46:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529164632_-596641081@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing No, in HCISLAG, they say "And all that year or chorus taught me is out of style and long-forgot." That's what that cool info-club thingy says. > >I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught >me, is how to smile and long for God." > >Marty ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199705292202.PAA12823@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:02:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-148 Why are "Particle Man" and "Istanbul(not Constantinople)" on Tiny Toon Adventures?I noticed both songs are on "Flood"(1990) and Tiny Toon Adventures was copyrighted in 1990.Does Steven Spielburgh like They? Does anyone know? "Nike is the epitome of evil.Hey,if it were in the Bible, you would believe me."-Me "Used to be different,now you're the same"-They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:19:16 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <338E0EF4.6302@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Thanks Matthew James wrote: > Now that is dedication to writing to the list!! Awwshucksthanks,incaseyoucan'ttellit'sstillbroken.Doanyofyoucrazynetnerdsoutthereknowhowtofixaretardedspacebar?There'sthisguyatmyschoolthatlookslikeayoungDanHickeyheevenplaysdrums.Wackywackystuff.DoesanyoneelsethinkthattheMonoPuffsongHelloHellosoundslikeJamesKPolfinthebeginning.Thedrumpart. Bye, Vera microsoftandcomputersareSatan!!!!Myhandwritingisn'teventhishardtoread.GRRRRRR ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:49:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529194950_89446893@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: HCISLAG lyrics MArty said: I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught me, is how to smile and long for God." But I could have sworn it was: "All that year of chorus taught me / Is out of style and long forgot..." but now that I think about it, both make sense ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:27:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529202753_-1900639653@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Singing like a girl / Themes In a message dated 97-05-29 18:58:34 EDT, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << Oh, and does anyone think They *try* to make their albums have a common theme? (Such as Flood => religion ; John Henry => anti-technology) >> Well no, cause they each write their own songs, unless they have some sort of unconscious phycic link to eachother. Also some songs are older than others, i doubt they plan anything like that. And Linnell has said they dont too. ------------------------------ From: Emble@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:46:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529204642_-61565740@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN In a message dated 97-05-29 12:23:15 EDT, jchaffer wrote: > At 4:50 AM -0600 5/29/97, Lex Friedman wrote: > >Also, in verse one, I'm going to have to with tmbg.org's lyrics instead of > >the booklet's: > > > > Let's stick together 'cause we're number 'A' > > Let's stick to numbers 'cause we're grey! > Well, "number 'A'" had a sort of TMBGish appeal to me as I was listening to > it for the first time, but I really couldn't tell whether it was A or 8. So > it could just as well, by my ears, be "8" and "great" instead. Or 'A' and > "great," for that matter. >> Were they #8 on any music chart at this time, could self-love have tempted them to take this number seriously, sending them a step further down the road to Corporate Slavery clang clang whoops too late? -The monomaniac from rec re slsq ------------------------------ From: Emble@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 21:01:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529210033_253141217@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing In a message dated 97-05-29 20:07:06 EDT, SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote > No, in HCISLAG, they say "And all that year or chorus taught me is out of > style and long-forgot." That's what that cool info-club thingy says. > > > >I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught > >me, is how to smile and long for God." > > > >Marty >> Well, thanks a LOT, Marty! I just sent that email AGREEING with you! Lead ME down the primrose path, will you? >: ) Emble again ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970529210138.006a3754@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 21:01:38 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Harbor a PENGUIN At 08:46 PM 5/29/97 -0400, you wrote: >Were they #8 on any music chart at this time, could self-love have tempted >them to take this number seriously, sending them a step further down the road >to Corporate Slavery clang clang whoops too late? Since that's a song from a demo tape before the Pink Album was even released, it's safe to say it has nothing to do with charts. I'm not sure about 'wishnik', but I'm certain it's 'A' and 'grey'. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338DFE0E.4A09@baka.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:07:10 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: re:TMBG:album themes The first time I sent this, it didn't QUITE make it to the list(sorry EC, I hit send without changing the reply-to) > Oh, and does anyone think They *try* to make their albums have a common > theme? (Such as Flood => religion ; John Henry => anti-technology) Or do > you think they just put on whatever songs they happened to record? Yes! Well, I'm not sure if they "try", but the album names always seem to represent the theme in some way, so they do know they're doing it. Also, Factory Showroom is about commercialism(with songs like Spiralling Shape, Exquisite Dead Guy, and numerous brand name references), Lincoln has a theme of politics and relationships of different kinds, and Apollo 18 has a theme of science and exploration. These themes do not prevail in every song on the album, but are apparent and reflected in the name. And the first album, well, that's just chaos. Chaos is your friend. -- "I trust you will tell me if I am making a fool of myself"-Pavement Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:38:43 -0400 (EDT) From: mcduffie@scsn.net (James McDuffie) Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour / Meeting Them / Songs / Novelty Items / Hello / Singing Message-ID: On Thu, 29 May 1997, Marty Tomlinson wrote: > I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught > me, is how to smile and long for God." I thought it said: "And all that year of chorus taught me is a sytle that is long forgot" +*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+ James McDuffie (mcduffie@scsn.net) - http://www.scsn.net/users/mcduffie/ "Windows is, at best, a priggish, over refined interface modeled after the sissified Macintosh operating system interface." - John C. Dvorak Random access is the optimum of the mass storages. +*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+!%$%!+*-.-*+ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:58:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970529225630_554430856@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: HCISLAG lyrics << I don't know, but in "HCISLAG?", they say "All that year of chorus taught me, is how to smile and long for God." But I could have sworn it was: "All that year of chorus taught me / Is out of style and long forgot..." but now that I think about it, both make sense >> It's funny how some of Flans lines can sound like something totally different, yet still make sense. For example, the first line of "The World's Address" always sounded like "How are you this evening?" instead of "I know you decieved me." I think it's the hint of an "h" sound when he says "I". I think there are some Linnell lines like that, too, but I can't think of any now. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338E4E4A.7237@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:49:30 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Popular? Marty Tomlinson wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > >Anyway, I think Their popularity really depends on your definition... If > >you mean "how many people like them" like, say... Bush would be considered > >popular. Or, like Julio Iglesias popular... how many people have heard of > >them, or a song by them... > > > >So, I wouldn't say they've got "Bush flavor" popularity, but they do have > >"Julio flavor" popularity.... you can go up to people (around here > >anyway..) and scream "They Might Be Giants" and get a lot of "yeah, > >particle man.." "hehe istanbul... they're funny" > > > >In conclusion, I forget what I was talking about. I probably said something > >of value.... > > > While they're nowhere close to the popularity of Bush, loyalty is very > underrated. With their brilliance, They have built an extremely loyal fan > base of probably at least 200,000 people. In the eleven years They have > been on the music scene since the Pink album, there have been many, many > musical acts that have come and gone, but They just keep being themselves, > and they have stood the test of time. Like it said in Automobile magazine, > they may not be going to the Rock and Roll hall of fame, but lasting ten > years in the music industry is quite an accomplishment. > > Marty > > > > Also, keep in mind that some ppl will like a band for one song and no other, or like a band then not like it, etc.... while Their fans will drop and do a thousand if the Johns were to tell them to. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338E4D67.677B@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:45:43 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: harbor a PENGUIN J Chen wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > from Jonah: > >Is anyone else out there absolutely, entirely sure that the line in > >Become a Robot is "here's hoping you don't harbor a penguin" and not > >harbor a wishnik as it says in the lyrics booklet of Then? > > It can sound like penguin, but to me it sounds like "death wish." > Either way, it doesn't sound like wishnik. The "Then" lyrics seem to be > somewhat inaccurate; for instance, in Weep Day, they have "hermit in a > cave," but it sounds like "Buddhist in a cave." In Now That I Have > Everything, they have the sensible lyric "the face inside the frame," but > for some reason I can still only hear "the place inside the frame." I > don't know who's really wrong, the booklet or me. > > Well, at least they got the "band with a chick singer" right instead > of "bank with a chick singer," as misprinted in the first album lyrics. > > Back to work... > ========================___________________________________________... . . . > | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, > | Protected by Guan Yu | > | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." > ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers Or the "sad little cross-eyed bear" in Hide Away Folk Family... (on the topic of screwed up lyrics) Or the time Sheri Lewis (you know, the ventriloquist) was putting a Passover special on TV with her puppet Lamb Chop, and the headline in the paper said "Share Passover with Sheri and Lamp Chop this season" (on the topic of typos) Or the macaroni I'm eating now which has peas and tuna in it (on the topic of food) :) -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705300429.AAA60510@osceola.gate.net> From: "Karri Vasara" Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toon's and TMBG Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 00:29:31 -0400 I had never seen the Tiny Toon's TMBG videos, but a few friends of mine had. Yes, they did do Particle Man and Istanbul. I believe it was Speilburg's idea to use music that would appeal to kids. Istanbul is an old song that kids learn in grade school, so that is a given. As for Particle Man, I think kids would just find that a cool song, just because it's cool. Both songs appeal to kids. I haven't heard of ANY other videos that TT's did with TMBG. If anyone knows how I could score a copy of the videos, could you let me know? Karri vasara@gate.net > Why are "Particle Man" and "Istanbul(not Constantinople)" on Tiny Toon > Adventures?I noticed both songs are on "Flood"(1990) and Tiny Toon > Adventures was copyrighted in 1990.Does Steven Spielburgh like They? > Does anyone know? > > "Nike is the epitome of evil.Hey,if it were in the Bible, you would believe me."-Me > > "Used to be different,now you're the same"-They Might Be Giants > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970529214545.006c34d4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 21:45:56 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: WinPlay3 Hi 'vryone Anyone have the crack for WinPlay3? It was posted here a while back, but I accidentally deleted the message. Email me personally, shanks. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:10:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: misunderstood lyrics Message-ID: Its not that unusual that lyrics are misunderstood by a lot of people; it happens all the time actually, like "excuse me while i kiss this guy"... or another example- on this john prine bootleg, prine actually sings happy enchilada in place of half an inch of water because some guy requested he sing it that way. Cave by used to like gay bar when I listened to No on e knows my plan, and my friend and sister thought see the constellation was see the constipation. Oh and I wouldn't drop and do even ten for John and John, really...thats why they probably don't like meeting all you wonderful fans as wonderful as you really are. Ellen, the epitome of anti-productiveness ==-====-===-=-=Dar==-=======--==-===== You don't know how precious you are. I am the one who lives with the ocean. ==-===-===--=Williams-===-=-====-===== ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: Thanks Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:13:15 -0400 Message-Id: <199705300520.4107400@rma.edu> > Awwshucksthanks,incaseyoucan'ttellit'sstillbroken.Doanyofyoucrazynetnerdsout thereknowhowtofixaretardedspacebar?There'sthisguyatmyschoolthatlookslikeayou ngDanHickeyheevenplaysdrums.Wackywackystuff.DoesanyoneelsethinkthattheMonoPu ffsongHelloHellosoundslik > > eJamesKPolfinthebeginning.Thedrumpart. > Bye, > Vera > microsoftandcomputersareSatan!!!!Myhandwritingisn'teventhishardtoread.GRRRRR R All you have to do is use those snazzy key combinations! A space is ALT+032. To make things even easier you can copy a space and then hit control+v then its easy to type! :) --Tim Clark ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:09:09 -0400 Message-Id: <199705300520.4107300@rma.edu> > so I asked him if he had met John and John. > His answer was, "Oh yeah, they're wierd. We were sitting in a > restaurant and Linnell held up a pitcher of water and said, 'Wouldn't it > be funny if there was a fish in this pitcher, cause then I might have to > eat it,' and Flans replied, 'hey that's cool, let's write a song about > that." Uhhh....sounds to me as if he is making fun of TMBG. I doubt Linnell would do that and if he did Flans would say OH WOW! Lets write a song about that. I think the dude was rippin' on the gods and he must die! --Tim Clark http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-149 ******************************