Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 15 Thursday, 16 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG Mirage TMBG: TMBG Mirage TMBG: "Songmail" -- Unique Gift Idea! TMBG: Re: TMBG Mirage TMBG: BTS CD Re: TMBG: BTS CD Re: TMBG: Re: Which John is Which? TMBG: They Might Be Imported Re: TMBG: Re: Which John is Which? TMBG: James K. & Sarah, Linnellesque TMBG: Voices Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others TMBG: They Might Be Imported Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others TMBG: Retrospective interviews Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <32DC980A.29C0@earthlink.net> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 00:40:42 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: TMBG Mirage I had what can best be described a a hallucination while at Tower records the other day. I checked the TMBG section and for a second or two I could have sworn I was looking down upon the spine of the new boxed set. I thought so long enough to think "Wow...The set is out in January after all and early at that. How come it wasn't posted?" But when I reached for it I discovered it was actually just Misc. T. I did a double take and looked again. It was still Misc. T. Very odd. This must be another internet by-product. Since getting on this list and similar lists for other bands, I have dreamed about them or have spent more time thinking about them or listening to them then I did before. This is not a bad thing but to start seeing things...well that's another matter. till the next time, Herne ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DC980A.29C0@earthlink.net> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 00:40:42 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: TMBG Mirage I had what can best be described a a hallucination while at Tower records the other day. I checked the TMBG section and for a second or two I could have sworn I was looking down upon the spine of the new boxed set. I thought so long enough to think "Wow...The set is out in January after all and early at that. How come it wasn't posted?" But when I reached for it I discovered it was actually just Misc. T. I did a double take and looked again. It was still Misc. T. Very odd. This must be another internet by-product. Since getting on this list and similar lists for other bands, I have dreamed about them or have spent more time thinking about them or listening to them then I did before. This is not a bad thing but to start seeing things...well that's another matter. till the next time, Herne ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 03:36:01 -0800 Message-Id: <199701151136.DAA03645@dfw-ix4.ix.netcom.com> From: cgn@ix.netcom.com (Send-A-Song) Subject: TMBG: "Songmail" -- Unique Gift Idea! Tired of sending the same old flowers, candy, cards and other typical gifts? For Valentine's Day, birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's Day, Father's Day, apologies, peace-offerings, friendship or just to tell someone you care ... why not SEND-A-SONG? It's as easy as picking up your phone, dialing 1-800-345-SONG, picking a song, and sending "songmail" to anyone you choose -- anywhere in the USA. Plus it's very affordable, you can SEND-A-SONG at the very last minute, and you're guaranteed a unique gift they've never received before. For a great gift idea, check out the SEND-A-SONG website at http://www.inf1.com/sendasong for full details, or simply call 1-800-345-SONG (1-800-345-7664.) ------------------------------ Date: 15 Jan 1997 13:59:07 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc02e2$28e211a0$LocalHost@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Mirage Herne wrote in article <32DC980A.29C0@earthlink.net>... > This must be another internet by-product. Since getting on this list > and similar lists for other bands, I have dreamed about them or have > spent more time thinking about them or listening to them then I did > before I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. After reading 300+ messages I had missed while away, I dreamt about meeting Them after Their next Oz concert. I told my non-They friends and they suggested I seek help. I'm glad I am not the only one that dreams about Them. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:06:24 -0500 Message-Id: <9701151406.AA08100@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: BTS CD >where can I get Back to Skull? >Well, here I am. yahoo. >-Georgy Welcome aboard! You can order the Back to Skull CD (and most of the other CDs) through the Info Club. You can join the info club by calling (914) 359-0867 and leave a message (name and address) that you want to join. Occasionally, for a really hard to find CDs someone on the group maybe able to find one and send it to you. The people on this list are pretty helpful about it. I receieved two CDs this way. I have sent four CDs out to people for free (although I never even received a thank you so I probably won't do that again - but I'm NOT bitter!) :) Every now and then you can put out a request, but I don't think people will be very helpful if you ask so much it becomes bothersome. It has been awhile since I have asked for the Dr. Spock BB or a copy of the demo tape, so I guess I'll do that now. ;) Erik Chuss "Every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening." - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:16:47 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701151416.JAA02254@CLEMSON.EDU> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: BTS CD At 09:06 AM 1/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >It has >been awhile since I have asked for the Dr. Spock BB or a copy of the demo tape, >so I guess I'll do that now. ;) What the hell, I'll go ahead and make some requests too. :> Dr. Spock on CD The Demo Tape Live!! NY on CD (26 track version) Lavisa des LA on CD -Adam Tyner /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <32dd2be465fa002@gold.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Which John is Which? Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 13:11:31 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Lawrence P Solomon: >> Linnell as back-up, and Linnell does the verses ("It was the loveliest >> party") with Flans as back-up. They don't do it this way in concert, >> though. > >Are you sure? I've always thought it sounded like Flans on the CD - >they usually don't switch entirely like that for concerts, either... I hear it Mr. Chen's way... -------------------- Earlier, Leo tried in vain to be helpful: >> my only link to the internet right now is email and this list so i was [...] > You may want to look at www.reference.com. They list Which is mildly amusing (I miss details like that all the time too, so I can't flame him ;) -------------------- Then, Joshua Hall-Bachner chimed in: >I don't understand all the complaints about TMBG not being melodious. >Someone on Chalkhills (after hearing their version of 25 O'Clock) called >TMBG "hyperactive savants" and called the music, basically, noise. 25 O'Clock is a noisy song, and They did an uncharacteristically noisy reproduction of it. I would encourage XTC fans who haven't heard anything else by Them not to judge Them based on this one song. -------------------- Finally, Jeff Roberts got out his blue pencil and wrote: >Okay, next time you're only going to make a little point at the end >there's no need to quote the whole friggin message. You should at >least write as much new stuff as you quote. Sheesh. What kind of a >loser would quote a whole message and only write like 4 lines. While this is cute since it is rather obviously self-referential, when chastising people for violations of netiquette, one should reply directly to the offender, not to the list. (Whoops, guess I broke that rule myself :) %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 14:23:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970115142356_1758243878@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Imported I have this Back to Skull E.P. that is from England and I don't really want it because it only has four (Snail shell, she was a hotel dectetive, mrs. train, snail dust) songs on it. I've never really listened to it...does anyone want to buy or trade it????? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970115150341.006eeb68@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:03:41 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Which John is Which? [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701152206.RAA12309@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:05:39 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: James K. & Sarah, Linnellesque Props to Kilroy for pointing out that James K., while by no means a do-nothing President, was not a good one. In his time, he might have been heralded for adding more land to the U.S. than any president since Jefferson, but he doesn't age well. In Their words, "Personally, we find his expansionist policies ruthless and unscrupulous..." It's a cute song and a fun history lesson--for whatever reason, James K. Polk is becoming a small part of pop culture--but it's more of an inside joke than any "belated credit" due a Great President. More trivia about the Polksters: while First Lady, Sarah Polk banned dancing in the White House. She is also responsible for introducing the custom of having "Hail to the Chief" played when a President appears. Props also to LvJeff for his thoughts on the John-John conundrum. It's hard to tell the difference between the two voices at first listen as a fan, but over time, the ability to tell the difference becomes a natural thing. And Linnell does sing as if he's rubbing the words in: the first time I saw Them perform "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair," he dragged out the chorus as if deliberately playing up the nasal-ness of his voice. I was hooked. Peace, Brett ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970115175823.006b6e64@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:58:26 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Voices It's harder to distinguish between the two on earlier stuff than it is on later stuff. Meaning, on Truth And Sandwiches I can hardly tell their voices apart, and if you asked me, I probably couldn't tell you which songs were written/sung by who. However, on Factory Showroom it's a lot easier. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701152302.SAA00984@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:02:16 -0500 (EST) > > has anyone else noticed that some of our backbone members haven't posted > in quite a while??? [...] > bro. john bejezus kept us on our toes > "Backbone members?" Isn't he the guy who came onto the list about a year ago and insisted on shouting all of his messages for quite some time, even though practically everybody else found it incredibly annoying and asked him repeatedly to stop?? Or am I confusing him with another Brother XXX? (Apologies, if so!) m@t ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DD6A81.7329@wwnet.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:38:41 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Imported Phurr@aol.com wrote: > > I have this Back to Skull E.P. that is from England and I don't really want > it because it only has four (Snail shell, she was a hotel dectetive, mrs. > train, snail dust) songs on it. I've never really listened to it...does > anyone want to buy or trade it????? It should also have "Ondine" on it. Omly singles I have are SEXXY and Don't Let's Start, although the Tower records here has about 5 copies of the They'll Need A Crane single. If I had anything worth trading I'd take it. I like Snail Dust a lot. (I have S.Dust and Ondine dubbed to tape.) They'll need a Dwayne. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:38:35 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Message-ID: On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Matthew Coon wrote: ** > bro. john bejezus kept us on our toes ** "Backbone members?" Isn't he the guy who came onto the list about ** a year ago and insisted on shouting all of his messages for quite ** some time, even though practically everybody else found it incredibly ** annoying and asked him repeatedly to stop?? Or am I confusing him ** with another Brother XXX? (Apologies, if so!) I think (although I, too, may be wrong), that you're perhaps thinking of a Brother John Blackhawk. Bejezus and Ruprecht are cool, although I can't say I really remember MDM. I myself have been known for starting a few threads and posting big messages, but I'm not self-aware enough to know whether anyone would consider me an important member or not. Now that I have the time to post again, I don't, because I've found I don't make much of an impact anyway. Unless I'm being annoying, which, at the moment, I'm not inclined to do, people ignore me, because otherwise they would either have to devote too much time and thought to the issues I bring up, or I'm just inherently irrelevant. You're probably all bored already, so I'll just shut up now. RS ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Retrospective interviews Message-ID: <19970115.231027.13542.4.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:13:21 EST I just read the interviews of the Johns on www.live-wire.com (thank you to whoever posted the address to the list). There were a few things that I read which were new or interesting to me. I didn't realize that Flans was a grade behind Linnell in school. I knew that Linnell was a year older, but I always assumed that Flans must've skipped a grade and that they were in the same classes together in high school. Also, during one part of the interview with Flans, the interviewer seemed to be particularly insulting to Flans. The interviewer told Flans that Linnell's She Was a Hotel Detective was FAR superior to Flans' (She Was a)Hotel Detective. In my opinion, I agree that Linnell's Hotel Detective is much better than Flans' song, but I would never have told him that because it's insulting. I know that I would feel bad if I had written a song and an interviewer told me that my partner wrote a much better song with the same name. Oh well, Just my opinion;). The interviews are really good and I'd recommend that people check the site out. Does anyone know when the other interviews will be updated? Jen ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701160412.AA21765@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:12:34 -0500 (EST) > > has anyone else noticed that some of our backbone members haven't posted > > in quite a while??? > [...] > > bro. john bejezus kept us on our toes > > > > "Backbone members?" Isn't he the guy who came onto the list about > a year ago and insisted on shouting all of his messages for quite > some time, even though practically everybody else found it incredibly > annoying and asked him repeatedly to stop?? Or am I confusing him > with another Brother XXX? (Apologies, if so!) Nahh, I think that was Brother John Blackhawk. Bejezus is that cute, cuddly little guy, my brother! (or was that son?) Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-15 *****************************