Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-150 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 150 Saturday, 31 May 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: WinPlay3 TMBG: Julio is heaps bigger ..... TMBG: unrelated thing (sort of) TMBG: Re: They & Festivals Re: TMBG: misunderstood lyrics Re: TMBG: the big stage TMBG: Songs played live???? Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher TMBG: Response Grab Bag! Re: TMBG: Response Grab Bag! TMBG: Bust-A-John TMBG: What is everyone starringa at? Re: TMBG: What is everyone staring at? Re: TMBG: The sun is a mass.... TMBG: Ed and His Dead Mother TMBG: TMBG Refs ala ME Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 00:05:10 -0700 (PDT) From: FRoG Subject: TMBG: WinPlay3 Message-ID: To Nicole TWN and Others - Winplay is good, but check out WinAmp - http://winamp.lh.net It's freeware for one, but it blows winplay3 out of the water.. Does playlists, lets you "seek" through a song, and many other fun features. Check it out! And for the Mac people : http://macamp.lh.net -- same player, different platform. -Ryan Andres. *Just have to be... Unforgotten* ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:55:42 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970530180124.20afb878@students.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Julio is heaps bigger ..... Though it is debatable to say that Julio is bigger that Bush ( I reckon he is , especially in europe ) He is definately way bigger that TMBG ...... In Australia they are a little bit smaller than Fugazi and i think in the U. S they would be bigger than them ...... So-man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338F5AF5.7C@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:55:49 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: unrelated thing (sort of) Lello listers, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info. I have all the TMBG albums but I only have the SEXXY and WDTSS singles. I guess it was never that important to me, but I wan't to some of the later singles now and I cant find them (I don't know where to look really). Any ideas where I might get them? Also If you have a good modem and time time go here. http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ It has some of the old songs from the DAS thing on tmbg.com. (you probably already knew this) I was studing for my mid year exams last night and I was at my desk and nearly asleep when "Work the hardest to be the smartest, Work the hardest to be the smartest" came on on my stereo. For some reason I thought it was my dad taunting me from the door so I spun around and fell off my chair. Now I'm finished exams so I can become sane again. TOm. PS. I predict the new TMBG album will come out soon. The Johns will need the money to cope with the increased coffee prices! ;) ------------------------------ From: ss5bayvs@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:06:45 +0100 Message-Id: <97053012064515@cr47c.staffs.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: They & Festivals For those with memory loss, They played a fesitval over here in Reading a few years back, if you check the old stuff from the info club they mention playing at Reading, something along the lines of a small "town" outside London. I'm sure the people there don't mind their city being called a town, but I suppose by American standards it is pretty small. So conclusions, They don't/ didn't object to playing festivals as long as it is the "right" one for them, and lets face it playing to around 20,000 screaming fans in a large tent has got to be fun although admittedly less intimate than your usual club but I'll watch Them anywhere. Memory recall, it was before They released John Henry so you can see how long ago it was. Yvonne "I wish I had a life" sanders ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:30:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: misunderstood lyrics and don't forget, of course, John Linnell's deliberate lyrics change: "They don't need me here, and I know you're there Where the world goes by like the human hair..." from many shows on the John Henry tour. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <338ee5c14903002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: the big stage Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:35:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matt James: >> I think perhaps that it's more of an attitude of not wanting to deal with >> huge venues like that... TMBG strikes me as the kind of band that likes >> playing in small, more intimate settings better... I think a lot of their >> genius would be lost on a huge stage in front of hundreds of people who >> won't be able to tell that Linnell's really looking straight at them... [1] >Then why did they play with Hootie not once, but about 10 times at huge >venues to open for them? Because Hootie specifically asked them too, and they (or Elektra) wanted to get more exposure for Their latest album. Even artistes need to eat :) %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:33:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970530133345_779624556@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Songs played live???? > What songs from Their LPs and EPs (I'm not counting Dial-A-Songs) have they > never played in concert? >>>Since they occasionally do "first/second/third/... album" shows, I guess >>>they've played all the songs on the regular albums at least once... >>>Daniel Well they have done 1st album shows & John Henry shows but even at the Factory Showroom shows they did all the songs but one (that is a direct quote!) even though they actually skipped both THE BELLS and TOKEN. But I don't think they ever did a Lincoln show, Flood Show, Apollo Show am I wrong?? Oh, I located a live version of Pencil Rain so take that off the list too. Todd ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 30 May 97 15:17 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Fish in a Pitcher > >> so I asked him if he had met John and John. >> His answer was, "Oh yeah, they're wierd. We were sitting in a >> restaurant and Linnell held up a pitcher of water and said, 'Wouldn't it >> be funny if there was a fish in this pitcher, cause then I might have to >> eat it,' and Flans replied, 'hey that's cool, let's write a song about >> that." > >Uhhh....sounds to me as if he is making fun of TMBG. I doubt Linnell would >do that and if he did Flans would say OH WOW! Lets write a song about that. >I think the dude was rippin' on the gods and he must die! Maybe he was... maybe he wasn't. I know I have conversations like that all the time with my friends; just really strange stuff that comes out of nowhere. Once, my best friend Zhiling turned to me and said, "Purple?" for no apparent reason. O'course, that was a weird brain glitch, but you see where I'm coming from. Plus, we're always pointing out stuff that'd make a great song, and none of us are even in bands or anything. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970530152850.0094cd40@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:28:50 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Response Grab Bag! ><< Oh, and does anyone think They *try* to make their albums have a common > theme? (Such as Flood => religion ; John Henry => anti-technology) >> > >Well no, cause they each write their own songs, unless they have some sort of >unconscious phycic link to eachother. Also some songs are older than others, >i doubt they plan anything like that. And Linnell has said they dont too. Well, what he *says* may not always be true... Also, if they *do* try to make their albums have a theme, I'm not saying they sit down and say "Hey John, lets write an album about religion." I figure, they write a ton of songs (for DAS) and maybe the idea of themes helps them decied on which songs to record in the studio for an album (like was mentioned before, not every song on an album deals with the theme). >and don't forget, of course, John Linnell's deliberate lyrics change: > >"They don't need me here, and I know you're there > Where the world goes by like the human hair..." > >from many shows on the John Henry tour. I always (and still do) hear this as "Where the world grows by like a human hair." I wasn't into TMBG during the JH tour... did he sing it "goes" or "grows" (which would make more sense IMO.) I'm waiting for people to post "What are the right lyrics? I always thought that's how it went!" >>>I believe it was Speilburg's idea to use music that would appeal to kids. Istanbul is an old song that kids learn in grade school, so that is a given.<<< What? Alright, lets have a show of hands: how many here learned Istanbul in grade school? I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" or anything... just saying that *I* never heard Istanbul before Tiny Toons... Hey, just another thing to discuss.... how many people here saw the tiny toons episode the *first time it was aired* and then ran out and bought Flood? Personally, I saw it on reruns for the third or fourth time and finally decided to go buy something. (I didn't like Tiny Toons at all.... come one, I mean, the original Looney Toons was *much* better... not to mention Animaniacs...) that's all folks -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970530154230.0069b9e4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:42:30 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Response Grab Bag! At 03:28 PM 5/30/97 -0400, you wrote: > >What? Alright, lets have a show of hands: how many here learned Istanbul in >grade school? I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" or anything... just >saying that *I* never heard Istanbul before Tiny Toons... Not me...I didn't even know it was a cover until I joined the list. :P >Hey, just another thing to discuss.... how many people here saw the tiny >toons episode the *first time it was aired* and then ran out and bought Flood? >Personally, I saw it on reruns for the third or fourth time and finally >decided to go buy something. (I didn't like Tiny Toons at all.... come >one, I mean, the original Looney Toons was *much* better... not to mention >Animaniacs...) It was in mega-reruns by the time I got it. I bought it around the same time John Henry was released... I didn't consciously go looking for it, but I was strolling around in a record store and THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS caught my eye. I can absolutely say that I wouldn't be into TMBG if not for that episode, though. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199705301917.OAA07496@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Bust-A-John Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:07:25 -0500 I downloaded a demo of Bust-A-Move2 from HappyPuppy games today. It doesn't have the music in it, but if you own the CD to the playstation or somehting, you can pop that in and then play the demo while you use the cd to listen to the music. Why anyone in their right mind would do this, I cannot say. "Wow! I spent money on this system AND this game.. I think I'll download a demo version of it! HAW! HAW!" But anyway, I thought I would play my little soundless demo (It came with sample wav's but they don't play during the thing either) and listen to THEN simltaneously. As I played, I noticed that my THEN kept skipping odddly.. and eventually I figured out that the game was trying to find the music on the CD, and since it wasn't the BM2 CD in the player at the time, things were as the kids like to say, Nuts. So, I can't simultaneously Play the game, and Listen to music. Feh. Mike "I'm just a fat little dinosaur in a world of bubbles" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970530163048.0094ba70@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:30:48 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: What is everyone starringa at? Anyone know the lyrics to this great little song, so I can sing along to the garbled words in the mp3 file? And, uh... is it a more recent DAS, or Older?? -ec ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:33:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970530213331_116267062@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: What is everyone staring at? I think this song is about two years old. lyrics are below Jamal * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------- TWO PEOPLE IN LOVE (or, WHAT IS EVERYONE STARING AT?) by John Linnell The hurtful things we said Are behind us in the past Our fight is at an end Now we're back in love again I love the way you laugh At my failure of a life You love my misinterpretation Of the things you say When we're walking*, when we're out together Jealous people watch us thinking [gladness of stuff???] Let them talk all they want Is there something so wrong about two people in Something wrong with love What is everyone staring at? What is everyone looking at? Haven't they seen two people in love? What is everyone staring at? Have I got something on my face? Should I rub my hand on the side of my mouth? Did I forget to wash love away? Can you please inspect my face? Later on I took you to the movie Everyone was laughing at the boy and the girl And they wouldn't shut up Is there something so weird about two people in Something wrong with love Love Love Love What is everyone staring at? What is everyone looking at? Haven't they seen two people in love? What is everyone staring at? * = this could also be "talking" ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 22:22:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970530222228_-1531338323@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: The sun is a mass.... Why Does The Sun Shine is probably one of my most favored TMBG songs. My friend brought it to science to play for his class. The teacher thought it was so cool that he played it for my class and i couldn't help but sing along. I hadn't noticed, but by the end of the song all of the people in my class who were TMBG deprived to say the least, looked at me as if a was some kind of mutant fruit bat or something of that nature. It was cool. Peace, Love and Brussel Sprouts, Graham ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970531025619.006671a4@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 22:56:19 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Ed and His Dead Mother Hey, I saw a movie on TV a while back on a Saturday afternoon. It was called Ed and His Dead Mother. I think it had Steve Buschemi (sp?) in it. The closing credits had TMBG with Everything Right is Wrong Again. Sucky movie, but a cool soundtrack. ;) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <338FACAE.E86@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:44:30 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: TMBG Refs ala ME Hey, two really cool things I did at school today! One... We got egg babies for a project in school... we have to carry them around with us just as if they were real children. I was praying for twin boys so I could name them John and John... but unlucky ol' me, I ended up with a girl... so, after racking my brains for a song about a female, I came up with... ANA NG! So now I have an egg baby named Ana Ng. Two... I have this HUGE project due very very very soon about anything I wanted. I was gonna do They, but decided against it 'cuz nobody would know what I was talking about. I should have. Anyway, I chose SPAM. The very first lines of my "History of SPAM Essay" are: "What would one think about SPAM relating to history? The average mind would think, "Nothing." I think, "that's what you think- that's what they all say." ...before I blow you away, by rocket to the moon...? I'm gonna get a HUGE grin from my They-loving friend (whose fave song is Destination Moon) -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-150 ******************************