Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-152 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 152 Monday, 2 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: non-TMBG, hamsters! Re: TMBG: Live-Pencil Rain TMBG: thanx for 'Then' reindoctrination :) TMBG: RealAudio Dial-A-Song Updates Every Time You Reload! Re: TMBG: Songs played live???? TMBG: Istanbul Re: TMBG: Istanbul (& Lyric Usage) NON-TMBG: re: hamsters! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-151 NON-TMBG:WEEZER C ONCERT! TMBG: TMBG in Internet Underground Re: TMBG: Request Re: TMBG: WinPlay3 TMBG: Remastering TMBG: shirts, hats, and novelty items... Re: TMBG: Remastering Re: TMBG: Remastering Re: TMBG: Immortal? Re: TMBG: Live-Pencil Rain Re: TMBG: Immortal? TMBG: non-tmbg: MP3 player TMBG: Ok: I may be stupid, or a just plain dumb Re: TMBG: Ok: I may be stupid, or a just plain dumb Re: TMBG: non-TMBG, hamsters! TMBG: IRC Re: TMBG: question Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: MP3 player Re: TMBG: Remastering Re: TMBG: Ok: I may be stupid, or a just plain dumb Re: TMBG: IRC (none) TMBG: Black+White TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-151 Re: TMBG: Black+White TMBG: what is up? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 02:11:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601021116_116395670@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: non-TMBG, hamsters! What Mike said is true!! All true!! I'm writing this in secret, late at night.. Chowder doesn't know I escaped.. yet... As I type quickly and silently I beg for someone to send the cat to release me from this hell. It all started while I was reading my e-mail. I had the screen tilted towards Chowders cage and I guess he read it and discovered how much we know.... a little too much. While I was sleeping Chowder tied me up and gagged me. He's at a meeting of the IAHWD.. the Intergalactic Association for Hamster World Domination... WE'VE GOT TO STOP THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! Agh! I hear him coming! I must go.. but be careful! Help! Heather ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 02:29:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Live-Pencil Rain Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 31-May-97 TMBG: Live-Pencil Rain by Matthew James@sloth.loyo > Good God man, don't keep it from us, where did you hear the live Pencil > Rain? A bootleg? What date and location? Do you have this > information? Don't tempt us! ;) Pencil Rain, along with It's Not My Birthday and For Science can be found on the 6/26/87 bootleg, which seems to be one of those that makes the rounds fairly well among hard core TMBG fans... that, Dr. Spock's, and Live in NY... (and 6/23/87, which is usually on Side A of the 6/26 one...) I analyze waaaaaaaaaay too much... :) ------------------------------ Date: 1 Jun 1997 07:49:54 GMT From: "Daniel Gribble" Message-ID: <01bc6e60$6c8fa400$d84801cb@dawallac> Organization: Insert Company Name Here... Subject: TMBG: thanx for 'Then' reindoctrination :) Just like to say thank you to all the people who replied to my posting, and you should be happy I proved my friend wrong with the information you delivered on Then: The Later Years... hmmm cya ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3391356A.76C8@one.net> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:40:10 -0400 From: David Hensley Subject: TMBG: RealAudio Dial-A-Song Updates Every Time You Reload! If you have Netscape 3.X or 4.X Preview Release 4 or later, and have the RealAudio 3.X or 4.X beta plug-in for it installed, check out this site: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/7315/ The song now randomly changes every time you reload! You can hear Dial-A-Song tunes in REAL TIME, with no downloading, played right through your browser! 28800 modem recommended. ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs played live???? Date: 31 May 1997 20:21:35 GMT Message-ID: <5mq18f$2n7$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <970530133345_779624556@emout20.mail.aol.com>, PROFITEERS@aol.com writes: >> What songs from Their LPs and EPs (I'm not counting Dial-A-Songs) have they >> never played in concert? >>>>Since they occasionally do "first/second/third/... album" shows, I guess >>>>they've played all the songs on the regular albums at least once... >>>>Daniel > Well they have done 1st album shows & John Henry shows but even at the > Factory Showroom shows they did all the songs but one (that is a direct > quote!) even though they actually skipped both THE BELLS and TOKEN. But I > don't think they ever did a Lincoln show, Flood Show, Apollo Show am I > wrong?? Oh, I located a live version of Pencil Rain so take that off the list > too. Some years ago they played 3 (or maybe even 4?) days in a row somewhere, the first day being a first-album show, the following day a second-album show and the next day a third-album show (although I'm not sure about that last one, it could also be a "regular" show). Daniel ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 08:18:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601081835_1956531490@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Istanbul In a message dated 97-05-31 04:28:06 EDT, you write: << What? Alright, lets have a show of hands: how many here learned Istanbul in grade school? I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" or anything... just saying that *I* never heard Istanbul before Tiny Toons... >> If it gives you any idea as to how old this song really is, my 77 yr. old grandmother remembers the song from when she was a little girl! (She doesn't like TMBG, but she knows all the words to that song.) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 10:10:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601101007_-861242832@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (& Lyric Usage) In a message dated 97-06-01 08:22:21 EDT, ArwenAnaNg@aol.com writes: << If it gives you any idea as to how old this song really is, my 77 yr. old grandmother remembers the song from when she was a little girl! (She doesn't like TMBG, but she knows all the words to that song.) >> On a semi-related note, the other day in school we were having our spelling test (biggest waste fo time). Anyway, we are allowed to choose our last spelling word. One girl chose Siam. The day of the test, she asked my teacher what Siam was. My teacher said, and I QUOTE, "I believe Siam is the Archaic name for Thailand. Just as Istanbul was Constantinople". I've heard others say it before, but the emphasis and accents matched exactly to the song. Now the rest of the quote "Also New York once was New Amsterdam" We were SO close to an exact match except for the screwup reversal of "once" and "was". (BTW, this teacher, in case you're wondering, never heard the song or the Four Lads, or TMBG) Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970601112334.00964e00@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 11:23:34 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: re: hamsters! WARNING! THIS CONTAINS NON-TMBG HAMSTER DOMINATION NONSENSE DO NOT READ! I REPEAT: DO NOT READ!! ----- "WE'VE GOT TO STOP THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! Agh! I hear him coming! I must go.. but be careful!" These are the last words I hear from the radio... now all I hear is static. It is a sad day for the Earth. As I peer out my small window I see hundreds... thousands... small orbs hovering in the distance... they give off an otherworldly glow in the early morning light.... they are approaching. This moment of serenity may be the last we ever see. As they approach, people prepare to flee. Possessions are packed, cars are loaded. One by one families leave their houses. Each leaves the porch light on as a reminder of what could have been. I am finally alone in this abandoned silent suburbia. The glowing orbs are much closer now. I can hear the gentle "whir" of their collective spinning. It is soothing... relaxing... NO! If I fall now all will be lost! Our years of resistance: all futile! I run back into my house, grab the weapon. I had hoped I would never have to use this... It was not meant to be used... the most dangerous weapon of them all: The SuperFueled FreakSicle. When used it would emit a powerful beam... strong enough to level everything in a two mile radius. The hamsters approached... the whirring much louder. Some rushed at my head. I duck, and one spins out of control, having missed its intended target it crashes into the ground, erupting into flames. More come at me, this time two, then three. I use the FreakSicle as a bat, hitting the orbs away. It works surprisingly well... but does not destroy the orbs, they merely come whirring back... There is no hope. I lash out at the cloud of glowing spheres descending upon me, but it is no use. Hundreds of them pound against every part of my body. I am able to destroy some, and soon there is a ring of fire around me. There are simply too many... they batter me to the ground. Before my eyes close for the last time I glance around: the station wagon unmoving in the driveway... the wood paneling in pristine condition... I am surrounded by a ring of fire... it will soon engulf my body and the hamsters will be off to continue their conquest. I died before any real carnage began. I was one of the lucky ones. ----- Sorry for the NON-TMBG post. -ec ------------------------------ From: VictorH99@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 12:05:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601120554_320492494@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-151 could you please forward the tmbg list to milesflora please send no more to victorh99 thankyou ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: NON-TMBG:WEEZER C ONCERT! Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 12:09:50 -0400 Message-Id: <199706011617.2846000@rma.edu> Anyone going to the Weezer/No Doubt concert who wants to give me and my friend a ride?! We live in Front Royal...... --Tim Clark Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html MiSTie #79297 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970601125229.00696024@awod.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 12:52:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Internet Underground From http://www.underground-online.com: On the Net with...They Might Be Giants by Mitchell Lavnick They might be...one of the most popular bands on the Internet. Giants' singer-saxophonist-keyboardist-songwriter John Linnell talks about online fandom and his favorite encylopedia. (pg 64) Is this too big to transcribe? :P I wonder if Linnell mentions how obsessive we are. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970601092715.006fe394@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 10:01:32 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: Request At 12:39 AM 6/1/97 -0400, you wrote: >Does anyone remember a little thing someone posted here a long time ago about >signs of TMBG addiction? The only ones I remember were "You want to raise >your freak flag higher and higher," and the number one sign was something >like, "You think God plays an accordion." Sounds like one of Tracy's Top Ten Lists (anyone else remember Tracy?) I looked on Ruprecht's page (he has an anthology of the lists) but couldn't find it there. You could try checking the digests from about 18 months ago, if you're *really* desperate. Or we could try writing our own... --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 13:11:09 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: WinPlay3 Message-ID: <19970601171131.AAA10501@default> > Hi 'vryone > > Anyone have the crack for WinPlay3? It was posted here a while back, but I > accidentally deleted the message. Email me personally, shanks. 100011-301000-5000 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 11:08:30 -0700 Message-Id: <199706011808.LAA06146@mando.engr.sgi.com> From: John Relph Subject: TMBG: Remastering I finally broke down and bought a copy of _Then: The Earlier Years_. Despite what people have said, I don't think _Then_ sounds *any* better than _They Might Be Giants_ or _Lincoln_. The only difference I could hear is that the _Then_ CDs are mastered much louder. I have two CD players, both built by the same company, and after compensating for the volume level difference (each player has a separate volume control) I could hear *no* difference between the two CDs. I believe the exact same master tapes were used for the original releases and _Then_, the only difference being, as I said, the volume level on _Then_ being louder. Which is not to say that I regret having spent the money on _Then_. No, not at all. It's nice having all those extra tracks and the cool booklet. Best of all is the picture of the two ships in battle, cannons firing. -- John ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: shirts, hats, and novelty items... Message-ID: <19970601.122133.9470.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 14:22:02 EDT > 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? World Tour 2040, because it's funny, and no one gets it but me and a few of my friends. > 2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? Just plain don't have one. > 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? I have to say John Henry coffee, although I've never had it. It is just plain funny that They'd sell coffee. my favorite shirt (although i do have 7 of them) would have to be the snowman shirt! =) maybe that's just because it's one of the two they shirts i have that aren't extra large... favorite TMBG hat would have to be the olive green they hat (i have that and the black FS logo one) but even though i like my FS one better teh THey hat has all of their autographs on it so.... novelty item: the sterling silver 'THEY' ring i made and then managed to give them. 'just tell me what you've got to say to me, i've been waiting so long just to hear the truth....' love, JOrdaN ***JUNE 28TH: VIOLENT FEMMES, CRACKER, COOLIO, NERF HERDER, JANE JENSEN, REEL BIG FISH, BUCK-O-NINE, MXPX, GUSTAPPO PUSSY RANCH, AND POSSIBLY BEASTIE BOYS CONCERT!!!**** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970601142349.006a5d94@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 14:23:49 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Remastering At 11:08 AM 6/1/97 -0700, you wrote: >I finally broke down and bought a copy of _Then: The Earlier Years_. >Despite what people have said, I don't think _Then_ sounds *any* >better than _They Might Be Giants_ or _Lincoln_. The only difference >I could hear is that the _Then_ CDs are mastered much louder. I agree. People were telling me to listen to Ana Ng on Lincoln and compare it to Then, but I couldn't really pick up on anything really different either... >Which is not to say that I regret having spent the money on _Then_. >No, not at all. It's nice having all those extra tracks and the cool >booklet. Best of all is the picture of the two ships in battle, >cannons firing. I was kind of disappointed with the booklet, personally. I was expecting something a little more along the lines of the booklet that came with "Weird Al"'s Permanent Record... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970601132514#290@acme.computer-services.com From: "Buster T. Bunny" Subject: Re: TMBG: Remastering Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 13:24:41 -0500 From: John Relph >I finally broke down and bought a copy of _Then: The Earlier Years_. >Despite what people have said, I don't think _Then_ sounds *any* >better than _They Might Be Giants_ or _Lincoln The remastering from what my machine here tells me after analyzing the waveforms from each CD and running it all throught he neat little audio spectrum analyzer doohickie there is a signifigant difference in clarity in the higher levels. Oddly enough though I am a rabbit I can only tell slightly from listening to them both that there is that difference. The best example of remastering recently that I have heard is on the Rush album "Retrospective 1" and all the Rush remasters of earlier albums. Either way, I agree with you in the fact that even though the remastering on THEN isnt all "that" noticable, its worth it to own for the extra tracks and the kool booklet! Buster T. Bunny Acme Communications http://www.acmeonline.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3391C499.712E@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 11:51:05 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Immortal? Jordan David Maynard wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > > Yes. They're waiting around to challenge John Linnell, who is also an > > Immortal. (Think about it, people! "I'm not done, and I won't be 'til my > > head falls off"?!?! Mere coincidence, think you? The man has not aged > > appreciably in the last ten years or so!) > > "I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head > I expect that it doesn't matter to the missing head" > > jdm "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head, Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head..." Idunno, I just had to continue the Head Thread... Cool! Head Thread! -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3391C526.5BE4@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 11:53:26 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Live-Pencil Rain Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 31-May-97 TMBG: Live-Pencil Rain by > Matthew James@sloth.loyo > > Good God man, don't keep it from us, where did you hear the live Pencil > > Rain? A bootleg? What date and location? Do you have this > > information? Don't tempt us! ;) > > Pencil Rain, along with It's Not My Birthday and For Science can be > found on the 6/26/87 bootleg, which seems to be one of those that makes > the rounds fairly well among hard core TMBG fans... that, Dr. Spock's, > and Live in NY... (and 6/23/87, which is usually on Side A of the 6/26 > one...) > > I analyze waaaaaaaaaay too much... :) LIVE Pencil Rain? Judging from the lyrics, that's bound to get a little nasty...! Do they throw pencils at people...? -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3391C7B1.2DC6@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 12:04:17 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Immortal? Kevin McGuire wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > nd > > I call those guys at concerts that just stand like rocks and wear trench > > coat immortals. has anyone else exsperienced this phenomenon? > > I think they are fellow vampires. They are all angry at the Johns for > performing and exposing their vampireness to the public. Theyre waiting > for after the show when they can send torrents of fire at them. But, > dangit, the Johns always escape to quickly, under the pretense of "being > busy," so all you heartbroken people who have been snubbed after a show, > its not because John and John dont like fans, they are just afraid of > being killed by the other vampires. > > The Vampire Kevin McGuire Whoooaaaa.... that's frighteningly realistic-sounding! Just imagine... it's probably true... Cool! As you know, I AM named after a vampire... And PET Named after a vampire, at that! -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: MP3 player Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:08:24 -0400 Message-Id: <199706011915.2866700@rma.edu> Someone mentioned another MP3 player the other day that was better than winplay...can I have the URL for that? --Tim Clark Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html MiSTie #79297 ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:28:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601152823_-1630201405@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Ok: I may be stupid, or a just plain dumb I realized this: She's An Angel Take off She's, and gel you get An Ang put it together you get: AnAng. Split it apart and you get Ana Ng Think that's how they got it? Zach Salwen: "The brains behind the spandex" - Berkeley Breathed http://members.aol.com/zsalwen/novokane/index.html ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:41:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601154134_843849341@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Ok: I may be stupid, or a just plain dumb In a message dated 97-06-01 15:32:39 EDT, ZSalwen@aol.com writes: << I realized this: She's An Angel Take off She's, and gel you get An Ang put it together you get: AnAng. Split it apart and you get Ana Ng >> Actually, take off She's and el, not gel. Otherwise it's Ana N And I doubt they got it like that. It's just a coincidence. Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 1 Jun 97 16:03 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: non-TMBG, hamsters! While I was sleeping Chowder tied me up and >gagged me. He's at a meeting of the IAHWD.. the Intergalactic Association >for Hamster World Domination... WE'VE GOT TO STOP THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! >Agh! I hear him coming! I must go.. but be careful! >Help! (Kirsten bursts into song) "Attack of the radioactive hamsters from a planet near mars..." I knew Al was trying to warn us.. ;) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970601163043.00967440@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 16:30:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: IRC Hey, it's probly not my job to remind people about this, but there is a tmbg IRC Channel on EFNet: #tmbg . Drop by 'cause I'm really bored. And, um you can find more info about irc on Josh's page which is www.fyi.com/~josh or something like that. The tmbg/irc section is a sub-directory of that... but I forget... -ec ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 16:46:37 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: question Message-ID: <19970601204700.AAA17698@default> > Hey how can I get the TMBG catalog with all this snazzy stuff in it? Join the info club. The address is on TMBG CD's. It's free. Eric ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 16:58:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: MP3 player Message-ID: http://winamp.lh.net/getit.html for WinAMP * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Tim Clark wrote: > Someone mentioned another MP3 player the other day that was better than > winplay...can I have the URL for that? > > --Tim Clark > Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the > Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html > MiSTie #79297 > > ------------------------------ From: Emble@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 19:07:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970601190745_486409826@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Remastering In a message dated 97-06-01 14:28:59 EDT, busterbunny wrote: << The remastering from what my machine here tells me after analyzing the waveforms from each CD and running it all throught he neat little audio spectrum analyzer doohickie there is a signifigant difference in clarity in the higher levels. Oddly enough though I am a rabbit I can only tell slightly from listening to them both that there is that difference. The best example of remastering recently that I have heard is on the Rush album "Retrospective 1" and all the Rush remasters of earlier albums. Either way, I agree with you in the fact that even though the remastering on THEN isnt all "that" noticable, its worth it to own for the extra tracks and the kool booklet! >> Which is a weird subject to find in my mailbox TODAY, since just a few minutes ago turned on the CD player to find Ana Ng playing and sounding excitingly fresh and different. Then I remembered that I'd had to drag out my old Lincoln CD when I'd (temporarily) misplaced disk 2 of THEN, and it was the Lincoln CD in my walkman. Of course, when I put my re-found copy of THEN in, I wasn't that sure of the difference any more. But I noticed and I wasn't even looking for it. Not that this contradicts anything you said. Exhausted Emble ("\ :8^)# ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33920119.2C3D@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 16:09:13 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Ok: I may be stupid, or a just plain dumb ZSalwen@aol.com wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > I realized this: > > She's An Angel > > Take off She's, and gel > > you get An Ang > > put it together you get: AnAng. Split it apart and you get Ana Ng > > Think that's how they got it? > > Zach Salwen: "The brains behind the spandex" - Berkeley Breathed > > http://members.aol.com/zsalwen/novokane/index.html Let's see... I met someone at the dog show, she was holding my left arm, but everyone was acting normal so I tried to look nonchalant... we both said, "I really love you", the shriners loaned us cars, we raced up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times.. It works for the Ana Ng interp... it could be, She's Ana Ng El? -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3392014A.539B@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 16:10:02 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: IRC Evan Chakroff wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Hey, it's probly not my job to remind people about this, but there is a > tmbg IRC Channel on EFNet: #tmbg . > > Drop by 'cause I'm really bored. And, um you can find more info about irc > on Josh's page which is www.fyi.com/~josh or something like that. The > tmbg/irc section is a sub-directory of that... but I forget... > > -ec There's also a #tmbg on UnderNet, which I hang out on a lot... find me, I'm Vladimir -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"Genius survives; all else is claimed by death." * * -Milton * * * *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 16:54:44 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970601154908.37ff3880@proaxis.com> From: Celestia >I would just like to say that Mike Leffel is officially nuts. He's a >wack-o and should be dragged out into the street and hit with cartoon >paddles. The wiener-o-wagon should then cart him off. >/Matt although mike would probably enjoy that, he's one of the only people who posts here with any amusing content. So may I be the first to lead the rebellion, and say "ALL HAIL MIKE LEFFEL!!!" uh, hi mike. ;) Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/2210/ <===== my homepage "I'm lonely and I'm right" - Ben Folds Five -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GMU/L/O d+ s a---- C++ U--- P L- E? W++ N++ o K- w+ O- M-- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP- t+ !5 X++ R tv++ b+++ DI++ D++ G e* h! r% x -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK----- ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 11:32:33 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Black+White Message-id: <49561437081@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University Ages ago someone posted that there was an article about TMBG in Black+White (that is a photography magazine here in Australia). When I went to look for it, the current issue had nothing in it about them. But (and here's the nice bit) one of my friends bought it yesterday for a feature on the Australian Ballet Company and lo and behold, there was the article! It is really quite good. I don't have time at the moment to post the whole thing but if you are lucky I might be able to do it later this week. It contains an interesting interpritation of The Statue Got Me High that I'd never heard before: " But there's a deeper purpose to TMBG than whimsy. "The Statue got Me High" from Apollo 18 is a post-Challanger disaster song in which the rocket launcher (or statue) and the Statue of Liberty conspire to kill the helpless astronaut." Can anyone expand on / explain it? The article says, and quotes Linnell saying, some other interesting things which I'm sure you would all like to read (she says, eyeing her pre exam schedule). Hmmmm. Hannah ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:49:50 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970602115555.20ffea86@students.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-151 > and the Buddhist in a cave line is an obvious >re-write as not to offend any Buddhist TMBG fans (although I've never >seen/met one.....). > >--Jack, aka Bluedawg Hey I'm a buddist !!!! ( and I wasn't offended ) >> 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? >World Tour 2040, because it's funny, and no one gets it but me and a >few of my friends. I don't get it ( ive never seen it , or any TMBG shirts for that matter ) So-man ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970601205836.00693994@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 20:58:39 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Black+White At 11:32 AM 02/06/97 +0000, you wrote: >It contains an interesting interpritation of The Statue Got Me High that I'd never >heard before: >" But there's a deeper purpose to TMBG than whimsy. "The Statue got >Me High" from Apollo 18 is a post-Challanger disaster song in which >the rocket launcher (or statue) and the Statue of Liberty conspire to >kill the helpless astronaut." >Can anyone expand on / explain it? Interesting idea, but I don't buy it as an interpretation. For one thing, the Statue of Liberty is made of copper, not granite. The song itself is written more like a retelling of personal events -- not something in which other people were involved. Heck, that interpretation would be a good idea for an entirely new song. -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706020327.WAA00707@dfw-ix15.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: what is up? Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 20:25:54 -0700 I was just going through my old CDs and what is up with the Coneheads soundtrack from 1993.... Barenaked Ladies doing Fight the Power (the rap song)???!?!??!?!?!?!? .......Charles Box ...babble@ix.netcom.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-152 ******************************