Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-153 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 153 Tuesday, 3 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: a happy Wonder Nerd TMBG: Re: SEX AND TMBG?! TMBG: Re: Slighty less Stupid Question Re: TMBG: Re: Slighty less Stupid Question TMBG: NON:TMBG Send me goodies. I need some goodies. Wa-HAY! Re: TMBG: Request TMBG: While I'm here... TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... TMBG: TMBG, Ben Folds Five, etc TMBG: Worst Enemy Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... TMBG: On the topic of EFNet... Re: TMBG: Worst Enemy TMBG: Worstie Emminies Re: TMBG: Worstie Emminies TMBG: Actual size lyric question NON-TMBG: BFF TMBG: Mini Disc? Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle TMBG: NON - TMBG : Marty Tomlinson TMBG: Woaaaaaa... Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: Woaaaaaa... Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle TMBG: TMBG in PEOPLE (a magazine featuring the best and brightest of who we should care about. Screw things that matter.) Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-152 TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS TMBG: IRC TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? TMBG: See? See? No, See. Re: TMBG: IRC Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS Re: TMBG: IRC TMBG: Hidden songs. Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle TMBG: NON:TMBG Franko Black TMBG: Pencil Rain live TMBG: ALBUM SHOWS- STILL NOT CONVINCED Re: TMBG: Woaaaaaa... Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Re: TMBG: Worst Enemy Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970601230845.0069f4f8@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 23:08:59 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: a happy Wonder Nerd Rejoice with me, fellow Giantheads! Today my TMBG-hating elder sister confessed that her main objection to TMBG was the fact that I play them constantly. She further went on to say that she would consider them a "decent rock band" if I played Them less often. (This from a person who has often and loudly referred to Their music as "noise" and They Themselves as "a horrible band"!) She also admitted that Moxy Fruvous was "not bad". (This from a person who, only a few weeks ago, cried, "I can't believe anyone would buy this music!") I am so happy! My sister, the most ardent TMBG-hater in my immediate surroundings, is close to conversion! --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 18:28:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: SEX AND TMBG?! Message-ID: <19970601.230937.4006.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I always thought of the looking out for number one thing, too. I thing They are not above a scatological pun, except when They have a chnce to put in a genious twist on a popular phase (like precious (blah blah blah) your own worst enemy share). Josh Nielsen On Wed, 28 May 1997 09:24:07 -0400 "Brian Jaudon (MCOM)" writes: >> I always looked upon Pencil Rain as just a common phrase twisted and >taken >> to the extreme. In my mind, I can easily see a >stream-of-consiousness kind >> of thing, from "looking out for number one", through "looking out >for >> number two", "no. 2 pencils", "look out, here come the #2 pencils", >and >> eventually leading to an army of soldiers being killed by pencils >falling >> from the sky. > >Maybe it's just me, but when I hear the line "They're searching the >yonder >blue; they look out for number two." I don't think of the phrase >"looking >out for number one". I think of another meaning for "looking out for >number two", i.e. something you wouldn't want to step in. I'm sure the >Johns are not above a scatalogical pun. > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 18:24:04 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Slighty less Stupid Question Message-ID: <19970601.230937.4006.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) And also, on For Science, the Lt.'s part is vital to the song. They also could have put a little boy on JH, but no, They put a girl. Josh Nielsen On 28 May 1997 03:24:30 GMT prophetm@aol.com (ProphetM) writes: >In article <338a6f48.4887142@news.ucdavis.edu>, >nicole.the.wonder.nerd.is@ana.ng.at.tmbg.org (Nicole the Wonder Nerd) >writes: > >>TMBG is exceptional among contemporary bands in its treatment of >women >>as equals, as human beings involved in all aspects of a relationship >>instead of sex objects. I invite all non-believers to peruse the >>lyrics to How Can I Sing Like A Girl?. >> >> > >Absolutely. If the Johns were anti-women, I doubt that many women >would >appear on their albums, but a quick look through their catalog will >find >lots of women doing backup in various songs, and not just the old >'lead, >response'-type thing, but parts that are vital to the songs. There's >even >the occasional female *lead* vocal, from Boat of Car on the first >album, >all the way up to Don't I Have the Right on Unsupervised. And who was >on >the cover of The Guitar single? Not John & John, but Laura Cantrell. > >Mike > >"The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers!" > >Mike May's Mostly Queen Page >http://members.aol.com/prophetm > ------------------------------ From: Emble@aol.com Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 02:40:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970602024031_156878963@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Slighty less Stupid Question In a message dated 97-06-02 02:14:53 EDT, Josh Nielsen quoted and commented on this post from Nicole the Wonder Nerd: << >>TMBG is exceptional among contemporary bands in its treatment of >women >>as equals, as human beings involved in all aspects of a relationship >>instead of sex objects. I invite all non-believers to peruse the >>lyrics to How Can I Sing Like A Girl?. >> a post which appears in the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup in a thread dominated by my own chaotic, perplexing, and childish mutterings - I *don't* recommend it - but I wanted to prevent confusion. In other news - A "see" is, a district of common worship - like the See of Rome which the Pope is in charge of - Could we start referring to this part of cyberspace where we all worship TMBG as as the "Misc. T See?" - Just a suggestion. Emble. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706020638.BAA13532@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NON:TMBG Send me goodies. I need some goodies. Wa-HAY! Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 02:28:29 -0500 This is exactly the type of thing that makes me go and strut around town in my cape and crown screaming "LOOK AT ME! I AM YOUR SUPERIOR! OFFER ME GOODIES!" until the local constabulary comes and wacks me with Cartoon Paddles. ALL HAIL EGO-BUILDING BRIDGET! (sound of many elves making cookies, footwear, and prosthetic merchandise of a wholly un-family orientated origin) > So may I be the first to lead the > rebellion, and say "ALL HAIL MIKE LEFFEL!!!" > > uh, hi mike. ;) > Hidely Hey! > Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com > http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/2210/ <===== my homepage > Doodley Doo! Go visit her homepage, and see the big Ford-a-rama. If you don't well then, Zark Off! Mike "Colin is soooo damn happy" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 04:13:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Jenny Subject: Re: TMBG: Request Message-ID: On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Sounds like one of Tracy's Top Ten Lists (anyone else remember Tracy?) I > looked on Ruprecht's page (he has an anthology of the lists) but couldn't > find it there. You could try checking the digests from about 18 months > ago, if you're *really* desperate. Wow, something I remember. I think I've still got a copy of a song Tracy wrote about Hyundais. Yikes. But I guess y'all know how it is to be on a mailing list, then quit because you transfer schools and your e-mail acount runs out, only to rejoin the list almost a year later, to find that it's become much more formal and you don't know what's going on anymore and find it very hard to keep up with the kids these days. Oh well. Hey, but to keep this on topic, well, a recent topic, anyway... A funny story. I met the boy I'm dating right now through this list, and if (I mean, really big hypothetical IF) we were ever to do something wacky like get married, and we asked TMBG to attend, since they were the cause of it all, do you think they'd freak out and call the cops on us? lalala...I'd want to invite Woody Allen too, but I know he'd never show. -jenny, who wonders if anyone vaguely remembers her as she vaguely remembers them. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 04:26:31 -0500 (CDT) From: Jenny Subject: TMBG: While I'm here... Message-ID: I might as well share a happy little conversion story. I mean, they're harmless and fun, right? I was in a car full of Christians (and there's nothing wrong with Christians, some of my best friends believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.) But the variety Christians I'm referring to are three girls from my dorm who gave me a ride to Houston because they were going to a Steven Curtis Chapman concert. All the way down, we listened to SCC and the Evita soundtrack, which wasn't too horrible, but I needed something to capture their attention for the ride back to Austin, almost a three hour trip. So, I grabbed a copy of Flood, and snuck it into the Discman. And the girls were hooked...we had it playing on repeat the entire way back, Istanbul ten times in a row, at least. Wow. And the next day, one of the ladies asked me to make her a copy. I was so proud, it almost brought tears to my eyes...:) Ok, bedtime. -jenny, who's a non-offensive Catholic girl with strong Jewish tendencies. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 08:51:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706021251.IAA06712@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... Umm, I have the ultra-special distinction of having seen the Tiny Toons episode the *first* time it aired. And of having *already* heard of TMBG, so that the ep was irrelevant to my purchase. *And* to have gotten a copy of _Apollo 18_ before _Flood._ >I think the line in "Become a Robot" is probably something they're >not entirely proud of, "Here's hoping you don't harbor a deathwish"? (It is definitely "deathwish"...) I'm confused as to why. >and the Buddhist in a cave line is an obvious re-write as not to offend any >Buddhist TMBG fans (although I've never seen/met one.....). If so, I think that's pretty sad. The line is much funnier with "Buddhist." As for "I've never seen/met one"... well, I know a semi-Buddhist lapsed fan. If that counts for anything. > Wow... I've never even heard this song, but the lyrics are >*awesome*.. Is it on Power of DAS? No, it's more recent. It was on DAS occasionally about a year ago, although I don't know if you can still hear it now... >Yes. They're waiting around to challenge John Linnell, who is also an >Immortal. (Think about it, people! "I'm not done, and I won't be 'til my >head falls off"?!?! "XTC Vs. Adam Ant" is obviously a metaphor for the battle between immortals. "Only one will survive"? Don't forget "Older." >I like a good root beer now and then. Aaaaaaaah! More signs of madness from the lips of Mike Leffel! How can we allow one to speak such utter blasphemy as this and still survive? Josh, the Buddhist in the cave. /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970602113828.005a3ef0@email.uc.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 11:38:31 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: TMBG, Ben Folds Five, etc I just saw the Automobile magazine with Them in it at the bookstore, and having no money was forced to only browse the pages. However, the pics are cool, and I was wondering if anyone had scanned any of those and put 'em up on the web. Other than that, I'm going to see Ben Folds Five tonight at Bogarts in Cincinnati. If any fellow listies are going, drop me an email, and I'll look for ya there. Heather Garver University of Cincinnati garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey Headquarters) ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Worst Enemy Message-ID: <19970602.124816.8095.6.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 12:53:37 EDT Has anyone besides me thought that "Your Own Worst Enemy" could be about prejudice?Kind of saying that thought you thought your own worst enemy was who you were racist against but it turns out the own worst enemy was the prejudice? Then it says "precious and few are the moments that you and your own worst enemy share" so that might mean you don't spend enough time with him to know what your"enemy" is like. "The guy with the messed up face" is prejudice again because your labeling him as " just the guy with the messed up face. By the way couldn't that be Seal? Just Wondering--- Justin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706021609.LAA04871@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:59:40 -0500 Did anyone get the TMBG issue of Internet Underground or whatever it is?!?!?! I thought the article was on the website but looka at me foolish face now.... > > >I like a good root beer now and then. > > Aaaaaaaah! More signs of madness from the lips of Mike Leffel! How can we > allow one to speak such utter blasphemy as this and still survive? > > Traditionally, you would just pick it up with your tortilla. Mike "This is a song about my pig Mona" Leffel ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:03:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970602125858_1558871024@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: On the topic of EFNet... If you see me on EFNet(I'm there about 3-4 times per week), my name is Thatguy. Also, Does anybody know where in Brooklyn or Manhatten I could find the video collection that has Instanbul, Hotel Detective, Purple Toupee, Do'nt Let's Start, Put your hand inside the Puppet Head, They'll need a Crane, Ana Ng, and Birdhouse In Your Soul? If so, please reply. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nYjvoa00WB=0HKm00@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:12:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst Enemy Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Jun-97 TMBG: Worst Enemy by Justin T McElroy@juno.co > Has anyone besides me thought that "Your Own Worst Enemy" > could be about prejudice?Kind of saying that thought you thought your own > worst enemy was who > you were racist against but it turns out the own worst enemy was the > prejudice? Then it says "precious and few are the moments that you and > your own worst enemy share" so that might mean you don't spend enough > time with him to know what your"enemy" is like. "The guy with the messed > up face" is prejudice again because your labeling him as " just the guy > with the messed up face. By the way couldn't that be Seal? from what Linnell said at the 9:30 club in December, it's about slowly drinking and working yourself to death. my interpration is that there's only one person in the song... the guy with the messed up face is 'you,' 'your own worst enemy.' The person is own worst enemy becuase no one else is responsible for his problems... and maybe his face is messed up because he was working all night in his office (yes, I know) and then went out drinking, and got in a horrible car crash on his way home... or something. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706021640.LAA05263@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Worstie Emminies Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:30:39 -0500 I believe that the "Guy with the messed up face" is a reference to a singer, as the song that is playing is by him... the exact song-man's name is out of my head right now, but I'm positive I got it from a good John source on the internet, as it seems to be in the realm of Old Hat news.. I've got to get off my onion. Either that or it's a song about Manuel Ortega. Mike " El Yo-Yo is Grande" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:45:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Worstie Emminies Message-ID: I always thought about this song, in fitting with the theme of being Your Own Worst Enemy, that the "song they play is the guy with the messed up face" ... a song that is a guy with a messed up face... how about Chess Piece Face? And the "they" playing the song is They. How circular. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > I believe that the "Guy with the messed up face" is > a reference to a singer, as the song that is playing > is by him... the exact song-man's name is out of my > head right now, but I'm positive I got it from a good > John source on the internet, as it seems to be in the > realm of Old Hat news.. I've got to get off my onion. > > > Either that or it's a song about Manuel Ortega. > > > Mike " El Yo-Yo is Grande" Leffel > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33931862.3266@escape.com> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 15:00:55 -0400 From: steve cohen Subject: TMBG: Actual size lyric question On the song Actual Size there is a lyric that states, "She's acctual size - Nationwide - Believe... I know that there is a reference there of some 70's or 80's disco song but I can't quite place it. Any help out there? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 15:31:35 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF Message-Id: Ok, I'm gonna put the non-tmbg conten below my sig. Rob Ok, does anyone know when BFF are playing on the Jenny Mcarthy show? Mat Pinfield said teh 13th, but that's not a wednesday. Is it going to be the fourt or the 11th. I really don't want to watch that show unless I have to. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970602155413.00967230@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 15:54:13 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Mini Disc? Hey, I recently saw an ad for the Sony Mini Disc recorder... maybe you've seen this, or maybe you've known about minidiscs for a while, like I have... but anyway... Has anyone tried recording a concert with one? I'd think this would turn out better than tapes (even DAT?) yeah. -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970602131305.0068774c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 13:19:23 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... At 08:51 AM 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote: >Umm, I have the ultra-special distinction of having seen the Tiny Toons >episode the *first* time it aired. And of having *already* heard of TMBG, so >that the ep was irrelevant to my purchase. *And* to have gotten a copy of >_Apollo 18_ before _Flood._ Hey, A18 was my first They album! And I went out and rented the Tiny Toons thing *waaay after* I became a fan and already owned Flood! >Did anyone get the TMBG issue of Internet Underground or >whatever it is?!?!?! I thought the article was on the website >but looka at me foolish face now.... I went to the website (and noticed a slight mistake in the TMBG links (I have no life, I have no life...)) and was disappointed to find no article. Anyone out there care to repost it? Pleeeeaz? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:10:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970602170810_-1095588868@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. TMBG are in the new June 9th issue of People Magazine! The article is a review of THEN and the reviewer really liked it. "This retrospective is a testament to what 2 guys with a warped sense of humor, a gift for melody, plus some cheap synths and a drum machine can do." But the reviewer wasn't sure if fans who owned the origianal albums already would want to go out and buy THEN just for the bonus tracks. There was also a picture of Them (wow 2 issues in a row now when They are featured!) standing in a dark room with a light shining from the floor and their hands pointing toward the camera, and the caption below says: "They Might Be Giants Flansburgh (left) and Linnell: a quirky brilliance." TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970602175443.0094e100@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 17:54:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle Hey... Question: If They were saving all the other songs (the second group) for Insect Hospital, and Unforgotten was included in that group, then why did they put Unforgotten on the SEXXY single? Also, anyone have any late-breaking news about this? I'd assume they're recording some *new* songs about now... seeing as they're not touring. Or they could be vacationing... :) And, um... Any new info on Freaksicle? Last I heard it was delayed until after Insect Hospital and Imaginary Friend (?). I'm just wondering, 'cause this would be a really great thing... all those cool b-sides... -ec ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:49:16 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Message-ID: <19970602214938.AAA11200@default> > TMBG are in the new June 9th issue of People Magazine! The article is a > review of THEN and the reviewer really liked it. cool! > "This retrospective is a testament to what 2 guys with a warped sense of > humor, a gift for melody, plus some cheap synths and a drum machine can do." > But the reviewer wasn't sure if fans who owned the origianal albums already > would want to go out and buy THEN just for the bonus tracks. Well, I did. I guess I'm just a freak then. > There was also a picture of Them (wow 2 issues in a row now when They are > featured!) standing in a dark room with a light shining from the floor and > their hands pointing toward the camera, and the caption below says: > > "They Might Be Giants Flansburgh (left) and Linnell: a quirky brilliance. He said the Q word!!! NO!!!!! OK, I've calmed down now. Eric ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970602180346.00695f6c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 18:03:46 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle At 05:54 PM 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote: >Hey... Question: If They were saving all the other songs (the second group) >for Insect Hospital, and Unforgotten was included in that group, then why >did they put Unforgotten on the SEXXY single? Flans said somewhere, IIRC, that they would stop using really, really good songs as B-sides and start using second-rate stuff. IMHO, Unforgotten is a second-rate track, and I guess They felt the same way. >Also, anyone have any late-breaking news about this? I'd assume they're >recording some *new* songs about now... seeing as they're not touring. Or >they could be vacationing... :) Probably. :> Maybe they're spending quality time with their new families... :> >And, um... Any new info on Freaksicle? Last I heard it was delayed until >after Insect Hospital and Imaginary Friend (?). I'm just wondering, 'cause >this would be a really great thing... all those cool b-sides... Still delayed indefinitely, last time I checked. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 18:08:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: NON - TMBG : Marty Tomlinson Message-ID: Marty Tomlinson, please email me..thanks.. Blah! Ellen Kao ==-====-===-=-=Dar==-=======--==-===== You don't know how precious you are. I am the one who lives with the ocean. ==-===-===--=Williams-===-=-====-===== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339355B7.5D03@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 16:22:31 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Woaaaaaa... Wow! I really totally noticed the way they remastered the Pink Album... it's freaky! For those of you who have Then and Pink (maybe that's what we should call it from now on), listen to Don't Let's Start on Then, then Pink. It's surprising! -- Vladimir Drakul, who just fixed his sig, he thinks ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33938094.1201@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 19:25:24 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. > > "They Might Be Giants Flansburgh (left) and Linnell: a quirky brilliance. > > He said the Q word!!! NO!!!!! All right, this has been bugging me for a while, but why does everyone take such great offense at Them being called quirky? Perhaps you people have a different definition of the word than I do, I dont find it extremley "labelish" or insulting. Could someone out there help me out? The easily confused- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970602193205.0069facc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 19:32:05 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Woaaaaaa... It sounds to me like they used the single version of DLS on Then instead of the version on Pink... TTYL, -Adam At 04:22 PM 6/2/97 -0700, you wrote: >Wow! I really totally noticed the way they remastered the Pink Album... it's freaky! >For those of you who have Then and Pink (maybe that's what we should call it from now >on), listen to Don't Let's Start on Then, then Pink. It's surprising! /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970602204628.0094f810@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:46:28 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. >> He said the Q word!!! NO!!!!! > >All right, this has been bugging me for a while, but why does everyone >take such great offense at Them being called quirky? Perhaps you people >have a different definition of the word than I do, I dont find it >extremley "labelish" or insulting. Could someone out there help me out? Yeah... look it up. They *are* quirky!! Quirky Quirky Quirky!! -ec ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:02:04 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Message-ID: I think the biggest beef the listies have with "quirky" is that TMBG hate it: <#9 of the Kansan interview with John Linnell (may 2, 1997)> 9. Do you ever get sick of TMBG being called "quirky pop"? JL: The short answer is yes. It doesn't really tell you anything about what we're doing. I don't really think of us as quirky, because I'm so immersed in what we're doing that to me it's really normal. We're not trying to do something odd we're trying to do something good. I don't really know exactly how I want to be characterized. It's enough for people to like what we're doing. taileen On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > >> He said the Q word!!! NO!!!!! > > > >All right, this has been bugging me for a while, but why does everyone > >take such great offense at Them being called quirky? Perhaps you people > >have a different definition of the word than I do, I dont find it > >extremley "labelish" or insulting. Could someone out there help me out? > > Yeah... look it up. They *are* quirky!! Quirky Quirky Quirky!! > > -ec > ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:11:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970602210928_1442912733@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. In a message dated 97-06-02 21:07:11 EDT, you write: << <#9 of the Kansan interview with John Linnell (may 2, 1997)> >> OK!!! THAT'S IT!!! How come I wasn't notified about this interview!?!?!? How long was it? any cool pix? Are the pix online and/or the transcribed interview??? TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM tim TIM ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:15:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970602211448_-229025519@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle Um........I know that this is absolutely none of my business, and I am kinda ashamed to even ask........but are BOTH Johns married? I know about Flans........but is Linnell? If so, as of when? Phew, I asked. I apologize sincerely, but, well, TMBG freaks and inquiring minds wanna know..... SUZZIE5808 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706030106.UAA13050@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in PEOPLE (a magazine featuring the best and brightest of who we should care about. Screw things that matter.) Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:55:10 -0500 >Why do you people hate the 'Q' word? BECAUSE EVERYTIME A PERSON SAYS THE Q WORD, AN ANGEL GETS HIS WINGS! Mike "Too many damn angels, not enough Batman" Leffel * ------------------------------------------------ "What happened, Clarence?" "You got your wish. They Might Be Giants were never born!" "That doesn't explain the Continent of Atlantis floating above Washington D.C.,.. and the residents tossing nuclear armed muffins into congress...." "OOPS! Wrong Alternate Universe! Hold on..." ---from the movie "MIke Leffel Takes Over The Universe" *and mike is ALWAYS RIGHT. ^_^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970602185317.006c9ba0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 18:53:31 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle >Flans said somewhere, IIRC, that they would stop using really, really good >songs as B-sides and start using second-rate stuff. IMHO, Unforgotten is a >second-rate track, and I guess They felt the same way. Yah, but Sensurround and We've Got A World That Swings are both *extremely* strong songs. IMHO, they were wasted on the SEXXY single; they'd have been better off waiting and putting them on the next album (has anyone confirmed the title _Insect Hospital_, or is it another rumor?) rather than throwing them away on the single. >ashamed to even ask........but are BOTH Johns married? I know about >Flans........but is Linnell? If so, as of when? Yup, much to the collected dismay of many a fan. :) John Linnell married in late January (I think; might also have been Feb.), to a woman about whom very little is known beyond her first name (Karen). When I saw Them in March, he was wearing a ring. JL did a very good job of keeping this a secret; the online Gianthead community didn't hear about the nuptials until a week before. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 2 Jun 97 22:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle >Yah, but Sensurround and We've Got A World That Swings are both *extremely* >strong songs. I have to agree; I think "Sensurround" could've easily been the single off FS or the new one. I dunno, maybe the Johns just don't like it all that much anymore or something. "We've Got A World" I can see as a b-side, since it's a cover. Still, it's a great song! And I really don't think "Unforgotten" is really all that second-rate; I love it. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:02:13 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970603120823.305fa364@students.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-152 Could some one get in touch with me about these bootlegs i keep hearing about .... I need them but i live in Australia .... I willing to seen you money for this ....... I'd really like the pencil rain one ( god i love that ) ..... I have been listening to Apollo and i was wondering if anyone else feels that the awsome "Mammal" was ruined by the fact that they call the Koala a Bear ( as it's not ...... Im' i over sensitive to this as i'm a Australian ????? Does anyone else think that "You'll miss me" is one of TMBG greatest 3 or so minutes ??? Very soon i'm going to buy The early years as I dont have ANY of that old stuff any more ( I only ever had copies ) Latter So-man ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS Message-ID: <19970602.203003.12166.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 22:30:21 EDT they got ana ng cuz it was the most popular vietnamese or chinese or something like that name in the new york phone book.... isn't that on the FAQ??? i'd just like to say that we are 10 DAYS away from linny's birthday and well, i think there should be an ongoing (ie non-stop) party from now until then in his honor! actually, i think we should all wear a they shirt or something they on his birthday.... RANDOM (NON_TMBG HOWEVER) QUESTION OF THE DAY: who sings the "da da da" song?? "they said, 'we've got these questions, is it true that you have sold your soul?' I said, 'hey man, i don't know. lend me a quarter won't you? I'll call my accountant'"---CRACKER love, JOrdaN **June 6th: Weezer, No doubt Concert** ***June 18th: Squirrel Nut Zippers*** ****JUNE 28TH: VIOLENT FEMMES, CRACKER, COOLIO, NERF HERDER, JANE JENSEN, REEL BIG FISH, BUCK-O-NINE, MXPX, GUSTAPPO PUSSY RANCH, AND POSSIBLY BEASTIE BOYS CONCERT!!!**** ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: IRC Message-ID: <19970602.203806.3238.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 22:39:15 EDT okay, what's the deal with #TMBG??? was it my imagination or did someone just post that there was a channel called #TMBG??? hmm.... perhaps we should look into getting a bot again??? now, for a quote from myself: 'darkness sucks like the people who pretend they dwell in it' love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:37:51 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Message-ID: Hola from the department of She Who Has Too Much Time On Her Hands! Todays topic is totally irrational, but great fun nonetheless. We have some pretty good proof that Linnell is Immortal- the aformentioned guys in trenchcoats stalking him, the fact that he never seems to age, and the appearance of Linnells in history (i.e., the John Linnell that made furniture (when was this again? Who told me this? I don't know.), and John Linnell, woodcut artist and close friend of one William Blake in the late eighteenth, early nineteenth centuries). The logic here is close enough for me to believe that this was the one and only Linnell that we all know and love. We know he's multi-talented- he can about play every instrument known to man, so why can't he make furniture and woodcuts? And I'm sure if we delved even furthur back in history, we would discover John Linnells that have designed cathedrals in the Gothic period, perhaps after roaming the steppe with Chinggis Khan as an emissary to the Mongols during the conquest. He could have been Pope! He could have helped to discover the new world! He could have written _Beowulf_! But what of Flansburgh? Is he just a normal human who happened to associate himself with this Immortal? I don't like to think so. Perhaps the vampire theory has some validity to it after all. Just think: Who better for a vampire to associate with than an Immortal? Let's not follow the old wive's tale theory of vampires, either- I've seen Flansburgh in the daylight! So maybe he's an old vampire, one so old that he can withstnad the day. Maybe he's known Linnell far longer than he'd like to let us all know! This could be a factor in explaining the brilliance of their music- so much history and experience behind it! So, we know Linnell's an Immortal- is Flansburgh a vampire? Or am I just completely out of my mind? *Editor's note: the author of the above is an English Major. Without school to channel her thesis writing skills, she must apply them elsewhere. It could be a lot worse, people, it could be a lot worse. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I did act my way out of a paper bag. So there! Take that, nay-sayers!" -Dave Foley ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:52:07 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: See? See? No, See. Message-ID: On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 Emble@aol.com wrote: > In other news - A "see" is, a district of common worship - like the See of > Rome which the Pope is in charge of - Could we start referring to this part > of cyberspace where we all worship TMBG as as the "Misc. T See?" > - Just a suggestion. > Emble. > Oh, but see how much trouble this would cause. We'd have to hold lateran councils (and we all know how much trouble the Fourth Lateran Council stirred up, now don't we? Oxford and Cambridge just wouldn't be the same, and what of the Crusades?) There'd have to be elections, and all sorts of theological debates, and all sorts of things. I'd suggest a diocese, but then, the same thing. Howsabout just using "district" ? So much more secular that way... The They District. Or something. Nevermind... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I did act my way out of a paper bag. So there! Take that, nay-sayers!" -Dave Foley ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706030307.XAA25772@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 23:01:23 +0000 From: Phil Vogel Subject: Re: TMBG: IRC At 10:39 PM 6/2/97 EDT, you wrote: >what's the deal with #TMBG??? was it my imagination or did someone just >post that there was a channel called #TMBG??? hmm.... perhaps we should >look into getting a bot again??? Yes, there is a channel on Undernet called #tmbg...it is registered as well... * ----------------------------------------------------------- Phil Vogel pvogel@postoffice.ptd.net * ----------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 13:20:34 +1000 From: Kristi Connolly Subject: Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS they got ana ng cuz it was the most popular vietnamese or chinese or something like that name in the new york phone book.... Yes, this is in the FAQ. Flansburgh says that Ng is a Vietnamese name. I'm not certain, myself... I would have guessed that it was Cambodian. However, I'll just point out that the only Ng that I know doesn't pronounce it `eng' like the Johns do... it's not `ing' either, but just `ng' without any vowel sound at all. :) I know this thread's been done to death before... but I had to toss that in! Kris ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3393BB61.28F4@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 23:36:17 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: IRC And also dont forget that there is a #TMBG on the poor, misguided Chatnet. And it has a bot they gave to me for free. Mention this list and get a free prize!!! The prize happy- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33932EA7.24A9@ior.com> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:35:51 +0000 From: Corey Holcomb-Hockin Subject: TMBG: Hidden songs. Hello, I was wondering if they are and more hidden song on TMBG CDs besides the one on Factory Showroom? Also if anyone could tell the history behind that song I would happy..... Corey Holcomb Hockin Is it Jim I don't know.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:38:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital /.. by Kirsten Brodbeck@remcen. > all that much anymore or something. "We've Got A World" I can see as a > b-side, since it's a cover. Still, it's a great song! And I really don't I think We've Got a World That Swings is a b-side for very much the same reason that Nightgown of the Sullen Moon and She Was a Hotel Detective were b-sides - not because they're bad (because they're not!), but because they just couldn't go on an album. Where do you put a song like WGAWTS on Factory Showroom? Where would Nightgown of the Sullen Moon fit on Lincoln? Or SWAHotel Detective on John Henry? They really didn't fit in with the general styles on the albums they paralleled. (I think Nightgown would go very well on Flood, but not Lincoln - and by the time Flood came out, it was too late) of course, this is all just MHO, so... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706030341.WAA15853@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NON:TMBG Franko Black Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:30:59 -0500 Well, I just got the Frank Black "Fank Black" CD today.. haven't listened to it to well yet, but so far it sounds good.. I hope it's good since this is the first List-reccommendded CD I've bought... Hope it doesn't burn me like the Simpsons/Joelson fiasco.. Mike "Mammy" Leffel ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:10:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603011044_1856425493@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Pencil Rain live Well I don't remember who asked this but here it is.... >>Good God man, don't keep it from us, where did you hear the live Pencil >>Rain? A bootleg? What date and location? Do you have this >>information? Don't tempt us! ;) THEY playe Pencil Rain live at Club Rio, Atlanta, GA 6-26-87 the setlist goes like this.... Puppet Head Purple Toupee Phone Inside the Ribcage Polka Hideaway Folk Family It's not my B-day Pencil Rain 32 Footsteps For Science Lie Still, Little Bottle (with the Stick) Hotel Detective I've got a Match You'll Miss Me Cowtown Don't Let's Start They'll Need a Crane Its a cool show, also did some other rarities too so its a nice show to have in the collection. Todd ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:10:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603011045_1889979669@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: ALBUM SHOWS- STILL NOT CONVINCED Well I'm still not convince by this person's post. >>Some years ago they played 3 (or maybe even 4?) days in a row somewhere, >>the first day being a first-album show, the following day a second-album >>show and the next day a third-album show (although I'm not sure about that >>last one, it could also be a "regular" show). Back in 95 THEY did a 3 night stint in Chicago, where they had a 1st album show, a Nostalgia Night (which they've done a few times) and their normal touring show of that 95 period so a standard John Henry tour show, not a JH-album show but anyway, I still don't buy that they've done a Lincoln show, or Flood show, and we know they never did an Apollo show. Whenever they do a multiple night stint in a city, generally this is only Chicago or NY but when they do they may do a Nostalgia show or a 1st album show and one night of the normal touring show of that time, like their famous "Don't Tread on the Cut-up Snake World Tour" or something like that since they name their tours like that. So can anyone else confirm or deny this?? Todd ------------------------------ From: Emble@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:14:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603011401_2087516705@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Woaaaaaa... In a message dated 97-06-02 20:04:08 EDT, the enigmatic Vlad Drakule wrote: << Wow! I really totally noticed the way they remastered the Pink Album... it's freaky! For those of you who have Then and Pink (maybe that's what we should call it from now on), listen to Don't Let's Start on Then, then Pink. It's surprising! >> I don't have the cds with me now, O King of Darkness, but is it possible that they just took the remixed radio version of Don't Let's Start which appeared on Miscellanous T and put it in the Pink song-list? I know that either the Pink or the Misc. T version failed to make the cut. Did this happen with Kiss Me Son Of God, too? Still floundering, Emble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970602223623.00703edc@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 22:36:30 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? At 09:37 PM 6/2/97 -0500, you wrote: >We have some pretty good proof that Linnell is Immortal- the >aformentioned guys in trenchcoats stalking him, the fact that he never >seems to age, and the appearance of Linnells in history (i.e., the John >Linnell that made furniture (when was this again? Who told me this? I >don't know.), 'Twas me. It was at the Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, about a year ago, and it was a *scary* experience. :) (For those who missed it--I went to the Palace of the Legion of Honor, which is a ritzy museum in the ritzy part of San Francisco, and in one of their many rooms devoted to Renaissance furniture, I spotted a chair/desk made in the 18th century by one John Linnell. I am *NOT* making this up. Could someone go back there and see if it's still there... mebbe take a picture...?) >The logic here is close enough for me to believe that this was the one >and only Linnell that we all know and love. There's also the song evidence. I mean, come on-- "I'm not done and I won't be til my head falls off"????? Tell me that's not the work of an Immortal! >We know he's multi-talented- >he can about play every instrument known to man, so why can't he make >furniture and woodcuts? And I'm sure if we delved even furthur back in >history, we would discover John Linnells that have designed cathedrals in >the Gothic period, perhaps after roaming the steppe with Chinggis Khan as >an emissary to the Mongols during the conquest. As an Ambassador of Love, perhaps? :) *nicole ducks and runs* > He could have been >Pope! He could have helped to discover the new world! He could have >written _Beowulf_! Linnell is fond of referencing his own work (Hey, Mr. DJ, for example). Maybe we could go through TMBG songs and look for references to _Beowulf_, thus proving that its author and John Sidney Linnell are one and the same? >But what of Flansburgh? Is he just a normal human who happened to >associate himself with this Immortal? I don't like to think so. Perhaps >the vampire theory has some validity to it after all. Just think: Who >better for a vampire to associate with than an Immortal? Let's not >follow the old wive's tale theory of vampires, either- I've seen >Flansburgh in the daylight! So maybe he's an old vampire, one so old >that he can withstnad the day. Maybe he's known Linnell far longer than >he'd like to let us all know! This could be a factor in explaining the >brilliance of their music- so much history and experience behind it! So, >we know Linnell's an Immortal- is Flansburgh a vampire? Or am I just >completely out of my mind? Flansburgh and Linnell claim to have met during their common childhood. We've established that Linnell is at least 300 years old. That rules out normal mortality for Flans, although I'm not sure if I'd classify him as a vampire. (His teeth are pretty darn normal.) In fact, I'd call him an Immortal, same as Linnell, except for the pesky fact that, unlike Linnell, he's aged physically. (Not much, it's true, and he could prolly pass for 5 or 10 years younger than he is. In the Automobile Mag pic (I'll try to scan the pix in this week and post them on my site, 'k?), he only looks 20something. We really need to devote a site to this... --nicole the wonder nerd half of me secretly hopes the Johns are reading this, the other 3/4 of me hopes they aren't. :) *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706030509.AAA17072@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:59:23 -0500 You know, they could also be Time Travellers... or at least Flans, if Linnell is an Immortal/Vampire/Good Humour Man.. And when Time travelling, or waiting for your time travelling friend, what better way to pass the time than making fine furniture, paintings or songs?! ^__^ Mike "DOCTOR!" Leffel Where's them Daleks?! ------------------------------ From: Emble@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:58:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603015812_-1330030151@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst Enemy In a message dated 97-06-02 12:58:10 EDT, Justin T. McElroy wrote: <> The FAQ says that the "Precious and few" refrain is a paraphrase of a seventies pop song. A newsletter letter which went out a few days ago on this topic said that the seventies pop singer they're paraphrasing (the letter couldn't name him) did indeed have a messed up face. So that seems to settle the messed-up face issue. If the Johns are being especially tricky here and the singer is ALSO Seal, then the "song they play" would have to be Seal's one big signature hit "Crazy" which is very much like YOWE in that the singer splits into two different persons who are out to get each other. "Your Own Worst Enemy peeks inside and sees you softly weeping" - "Crazy people walking through my head - one of them's got a gun to shoot the other one." All the racial content I could see following from this interp would be that where Seal sees getting "a little crazy" as the only way for African Americans to survive in an environment which is very often a very serious enemy, the TMBG song is flippant and about being your own worst enemy. I don't expect this kind of flippancy from TMBG about race - it doesn't fit with their other songs. African Americans don't need the abuse and the rest of us don't need to be taken off the hook like that. For these reasons I'd rather not think that this is a song about race, whether or not Seal is in it. For me, the definitive TMBG song on race will always be "Snowball in Hell." - I can't think of a more beautifully scathing attack on middle-class white self-pity than John's rewriting of the old blues line "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all" into "If it wasn't for DISappointments - I wouldn't have ANY Appointments!!!!" I do have trouble with the song Your Racist Friend- The song forgets that being made to feel like a hypocrite is often a service. If the singer could say he was leaving the party to avoid BEING a hypocrite, that'd be one thing - but not wanting to FEEL like one is not being responsible - it's being self-indulgent. And if he doesn't want to BE a hypocrite, then why not come out and say so? Maybe if politics bored the singer a little MORE he would be able to engage in it a little more responsibly and with less drama. I mean, "can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding" is nice and dramatic but something that any liberal, post Crucible, SHOULD have a hard time saying. But all in all, no, I don't think the Johns were thinking of Seal. Respectfully submitted, (hey, if I can believe all that other crazy stuff I've said, I can at least believe I'm a liberal) Emble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-153 ******************************