Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-154 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 154 Wednesday, 4 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dreams... TMBG: Re: Don't Start TMBG: Florida/Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Florida/Moxy Fruvous TMBG: ALBUM SHOWS- STILL NOT CONVINCED Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle TMBG: New CDs? Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle Re: TMBG: New CDs? Re: TMBG: NON:TMBG Franko Black TMBG: Edward White Re: TMBG: New CDs? Re: TMBG: New CDs? TMBG: Happy happy happy happy. :) NON-TMBG: re: Frank Black Bat Wings TMBG: Koala (&) Bear Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle TMBG: Only one will survive... TMBG: Insect Hospital TMBG: SenSurround Live TMBG: Polk Non-TMBG: Cibo Matto Re: TMBG: Polk TMBG: Pengiun/A and Grey, Tiny Toons, Shari Lewis Re: TMBG: Immortal? TMBG: Koalas TMBG: What's a seder? and Mono Puff TMBG: Coke TMBG: TMBG & the Q word Non TMBG:Cibo Matto Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start TMBG: IRC TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... TMBG: your own worst enemy TMBG: Aroun Re: TMBG: IRC Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Re: TMBG: Koalas Re: TMBG: New CDs? Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 03 Jun 1997 22:59:59 +1000 Message-ID: <000EB7E2.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Dreams... Well, it's finally happened... I've not only had a dream (a rarity for me... and don't go on about "you just don't remember them", I rarely dream. Full Stop). Only one problem with this dream though... All the rest of you seem to be having great dreams about They playing in your basements or meeting them in their retro chic New York loft/coffee lounge. But what do I get to dream about? Do I get to shoot the Rapids with They in a specially modified Raft with sound stage? no. Do I get to go on a world tour with They, carrying baggage and being Graheme's GoPher for the 6 months where we traverse the globe? no No, I get to dream about seeing Barry Manilow at the local mall. Barry Frigging Manilow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not impressed (although I've had "copacobana" in my head all day *sniff* I want a TMBG dream and be cool like the rest of you sorry, I'll stop raving now and go back into my little corner Andrew Callaghan - her name was Lola.. she was a showgirl... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:25:07 -0700 From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Message-Id: <9706030825.ZM13760@mando.engr.sgi.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Don't Start vlad_drakul of the extremely annoyingly long signature file that I hate because it fills up my screen with useless drivel, wrote: > >Wow! I really totally noticed the way they remastered the Pink >Album... it's freaky! For those of you who have Then and Pink (maybe >that's what we should call it from now on), listen to Don't Let's >Start on Then, then Pink. It's surprising! Oh, I just noticed that They didn't include BOTH versions of "Don't Let's Start" on _Then_. Damn. That probably means that they replaced the original (album) version with the vastly inferior single version. Ah well. Can't have everything. -- John ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Florida/Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: <19970603.112123.4927.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:26:44 EDT Couple of Questions... Is anybody going to the Moxy Fruvous Concert in Cincinnati on June 18? I can't I'll be in Florida which leads me to my next question .... Does any body know of any good music stores there where I may be able to pick up some They or Moxy Fruvous? Well, I gotta go see the cow beneath the sea. :~( ($) -----A man who is unhappy about swallowing his money. Justin ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Florida/Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: <19970603.114016.7119.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:45:34 EDT I Know it really sucks to answer to my own letter but I forgot something did anyone see TMBG on Viva Variety on Comedy Central my stupid cable providere doesn't carry it! What did they play? Do you have a copy? On Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:26:44 EDT aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) writes: > Couple of Questions... > >Is anybody going to the Moxy Fruvous Concert in Cincinnati on June 18? >I can't I'll be in Florida which leads me to my next question .... >Does any body know of any good music stores there where I may be able >to pick up some They or Moxy Fruvous? >Well, I gotta go see the cow beneath the sea. > > > :~( ($) -----A man who is unhappy about swallowing his >money. > > Justin ------------------------------ From: mjames@lust.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706031555.AA22298@lust.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: ALBUM SHOWS- STILL NOT CONVINCED Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:55:12 -0400 (EDT) > >>Some years ago they played 3 (or maybe even 4?) days in a row somewhere, > >>the first day being a first-album show, the following day a second-album > >>show and the next day a third-album show (although I'm not sure about that > >>last one, it could also be a "regular" show). > > Back in 95 THEY did a 3 night stint in Chicago, where they had a 1st album > show, a Nostalgia Night (which they've done a few times) and their normal > touring show of that 95 period so a standard John Henry tour show, not a > JH-album show but anyway, I still don't buy that they've done a Lincoln show, > or Flood show, and we know they never did an Apollo show. Whenever they do a > multiple night stint in a city, generally this is only Chicago or NY but when > they do they may do a Nostalgia show or a 1st album show and one night of the > normal touring show of that time, like their famous "Don't Tread on the > Cut-up Snake World Tour" or something like that since they name their tours > like that. So can anyone else confirm or deny this?? > > Todd Well, I can't say they've done an album show but they did do two nights in a row at Radio Music Hall (or as Flans liked to say "Radio City Music Hall, boy this place just doesn't look the same since the Rockettes left" or something like that). It was a few years back, in fact the new 9:30 Club is the Radio Music Hall so it doesn't even exist anymore. But I do remember them playing some cool first album songs and whatnot. /Matt, still awaiting signs of tourdates -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:19:26 BST From: Douglas Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start Message-ID: > Oh, I just noticed that They didn't include BOTH versions of "Don't > Let's Start" on _Then_. Damn. That probably means that they replaced > the original (album) version with the vastly inferior single version. > Ah well. Can't have everything. > What actually is the difference between the two versions? I've listened to the two (admittedly not one after the other) and as far as I can tell there is no difference! Mind you, I'm not exactly famed for my hearing. Yours, Douglas Robertson, Rugless Doberman Productions http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109 Why? Because. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603140912.006abd88@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 14:09:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start Same here, about hearing... :> The only difference I can tell is that the swooshing noise between "this is the worst part" and "could believe for all the world" is a little spiffier sounding in the single version. Other than that...I don't know. TTYL, -Adam At 05:19 PM 6/3/97 BST, you wrote: > >What actually is the difference >between the two versions? I've >listened to the two (admittedly not >one after the other) and as far as I >can tell there is no difference! Mind >you, I'm not exactly famed for my >hearing. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:28:19 -0700 From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Message-Id: <9706031128.ZM8578@mando.engr.sgi.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start On Jun 3, 17:19, Douglas Robertson wrote: > >> Oh, I just noticed that They didn't >include BOTH versions of "Don't >> Let's Start" on _Then_. Damn. >> >What actually is the difference >between the two versions? There's a little more reverb on the "single" version, and if you listen to the end of the guitar solo, it's much more distinct on the "album" version. The "single" version overall sounds a little mushier and at the same time a little punchier. The album version is much flatter, and in my opinion, better. -- John ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603145012.0096abf0@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 14:50:12 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? >>>Perhaps the vampire theory has some validity to it after all. Just think: Who better for a vampire to associate with than an Immortal? Let's not follow the old wive's tale theory of vampires, either- I've seen Flansburgh in the daylight! So maybe he's an old vampire, one so old that he can withstnad the day.<<< Or he uses really good sunscreen... [1] >>>Or am I just completely out of my mind? <<< That, too :] -ec [1] Now, I don't want all you freaky [2] vampire people flooding my inbox with quotes from your vampire books saying why sunscreen would/wouldn't work for such-and-such flavor of vampire [2] Not to say that all people who follow the exciting exploits of vampires are "freaks." I mean, only some of them are... I mean... uhhh... please don't hurt me... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603145530.00970d40@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 14:55:30 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle >They really didn't fit in with the general styles on the albums they >paralleled. (I think Nightgown would go very well on Flood, but not >Lincoln - and by the time Flood came out, it was too late) It wouldn't really be too late... look at : Kiss Me Son Of God --> on (SWA)HD EP, then on Lincoln James K. Polk --> Istanbul EP, then Factory Showroom Spy --> WDTSS? then John Henry So it wasn't really "too late"... but I see what you're saying. (And it's not really the same situation anyway) -ec ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:00:22 -0500 (CDT) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: TMBG: New CDs? Message-ID: I recently rejoined the list and was browsing through the digest, when I noticed a few names being tossed around: Insect Hospital, Imaginary Friend, Superfueled Freaksicle.....what are the first two, and is Freaksicle still going to happen? I thought They changed Freaksicle's name to Then.... Help, please....and if it's not too much trouble, email me privatly (you guys talk *so* *much* :) Confused, ##### jneely01@mail.orion.org ################################################ "It's as if someone were beating you with a stick and saying, `Your business is rejoicing, your business is rejoicing' and you rise, shakily, and go off muttering, `Our business is rejoicing, our business is rejoicing'." -- Dmitri Shostakovich ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603150437.00972c50@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 15:04:37 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle (Forwarded to The List just because...) Justin T McElroy wrote: >Update me a little I've been off for a while what is Freaksicle , What is >Imaginary Freind and what is Insect Hospital? SuperFueled FreakSicle is the (proposed) Elektra b-side collection (like a "Misc T. 2") Imaginary Friend is the new Mono Puff album, not out yet. Will be out sooner than Insect Hospital, the new TMBG album. (Tentative titles) correct me if I'm wrong, -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603150956.0069dee8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 15:09:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? At 02:00 PM 6/3/97 -0500, you wrote: >I recently rejoined the list and was browsing through the digest, when I >noticed a few names being tossed around: Insect Hospital, Imaginary >Friend, Superfueled Freaksicle.....what are the first two, and is >Freaksicle still going to happen? I thought They changed Freaksicle's >name to Then.... >Help, please....and if it's not too much trouble, email me privatly (you >guys talk *so* *much* :) I'll post to the list too in case there are others wondering the same thing. Insect Hospital is the name the Johns have tossed around for the next LP (formerly known as Thing). Imaginary Friend is the working title for the next Mono Puff CD (Mono Puff is John Flansburgh's side project). Superfueled Freaksicle is a collection of B-sides, some live tracks, and misc. cool stuff. Then is a 72-song compilation of Restless/Bar-None material with some unreleased tracks. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706031844.NAA08815@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON:TMBG Franko Black Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:34:45 -0500 > >> ONly the first?!? Whats *wrong* with you?!? > > >I've inhaled too many eurasian lizard fetuses in my day, > >champo, and this.. uncanny amount of unborn reptillian > >molecules in my neural net has caused not only > >penile gigantism, glow-in-the-dark batwings, elastic > >elbow disease, AND floating monkey disorder,.. but > >an awesome ability to disregard CD purchase suggestions > >until it is far, far, too late. > > So, the only bad thing would be the disregarding of CD suggestions... where > can i get these eurasian lizard fetuses? > WalMart! Only at WalMart! $4.97 each, right next to the Sam's Choice Bacon n' Gravy mix. > -Evan "I want BatWings" Chakroff The chanting continued at an uproarious pace. Everyone in the room had been repeating the confusing message over and over for hours now, and the guards didn't know what to do. Should they fire upon the mysterious protesters? Should they leave, and let chaos reign almighty? Should they pack up their frosty cold beverages and join in the maddening swarm of students, men, women, children, old ladies, teachers, firemen, lawyers, gas station attendants and necrophiles? They were running out of patience with the zombie like group, and confused tempers were rising. "SHUT UP!" screamed the guard with the thick neck. Veins popped out near his temples. "WHY THE HELL WON'T YOU JUST SHUT UP?!" His muscular forehead was drenched in nervous sweat, and he paced back and forth erratically. The other guard was just as stressed, but he maintained calm.. far more than his colleague could. He watched him simultaneously with the chanters. With every repeating phrase the guards heartbeat increased, his breathing more violent. The calmer guard looked down into the mad crowd for a second, and before he could look up again he saw twelve chanters explode in a fury of gunfire. The other guard had heard too much, and finally snapped. As he unloaded round after round into the group, he screamed euphorically; drowning out the cause of his madness with the sound of his rifle. The other guard leaped to him, wrestling the rifle away. But it was too late. Of the thousands there, thirty seven chanters were mercilessly slaughtered, and the guard he was holding down had been driven quite insane. He was chanting the same thing the others had for hours and hours.... "I want BatWings! I want BatWings!" Mike "Later, they found out they were chanting at the wrong building. The BatWings were in the office across the street." Leffel ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:54:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603155332_-1162532462@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Edward White I read in my newspaper today on the inside front cover (NEWSDAY for those that get it) that today (6/3) in 1965, "Astronaut EDWARD WHITE became the first American to "walk" in space, during the flight of Gemini 4....." Is this the same Edward White that's on the masks (b/c he's in the Colliers Encyclopedia where EB White belongs) Joel "Gemini 4, Apollo 18, what's the difference?" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) ------------------------------ From: mjames@lust.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706031952.AA22681@lust.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:52:56 -0400 (EDT) > At 02:00 PM 6/3/97 -0500, you wrote: > >I recently rejoined the list and was browsing through the digest, when I > >noticed a few names being tossed around: Insect Hospital, Imaginary > >Friend, Superfueled Freaksicle.....what are the first two, and is > >Freaksicle still going to happen? I thought They changed Freaksicle's > >name to Then.... > >Help, please....and if it's not too much trouble, email me privatly (you > >guys talk *so* *much* :) > > I'll post to the list too in case there are others wondering the same thing. > > Insect Hospital is the name the Johns have tossed around for the next LP > (formerly known as Thing). Imaginary Friend is the working title for the > next Mono Puff CD (Mono Puff is John Flansburgh's side project). > Superfueled Freaksicle is a collection of B-sides, some live tracks, and > misc. cool stuff. Then is a 72-song compilation of Restless/Bar-None > material with some unreleased tracks. I'd be more likely to call the new Monopuff 'Imaginary Friend' than the new TMBG 'Insect Hospital'. The Johns just love to make up names. In fact, they like to call their songs already on CD different names. They like to call 'Older' 'Older than you've Ever Been' and they called 'Snowball in Hell' 'Avalanche or Roadblock'. They've been throwing out various names for the new album but I'm sure they're not the real names, just funny names they think of. I think Superfueled Freaksicle is long dead and was probably just another machination of their demented minds. Then: The Earlier Years is the 72 track CD with bonus tracks, Misc T, Pink, and Lincoln on it, not Superfueled. I don't think there was an intention of Then being the new name for Superfueled. I think Superfueled was supposed to be *new* b-sides but it just never happened. I could be wrong, though, you never know what is in the minds of the Johns. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3394A818.53F2@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 16:26:16 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? > I think Superfueled Freaksicle is long dead and was probably just > another machination of their demented minds. Why? Itd be entirely realistic to sell all of the elektra b-sides. For one, people like me who have a hard time getting all the singles cause the record stores only carry crap would buy it. For two, all of the extremely die hard fans who already own all the singles anyway would buy it, just to keep the "I have ALL their albums!!!!" thing going. So it would do about as good as any other TMBG album, and They dont even have to do any real work on it, elektra just has to pump out the cds. Damnit, I want this CD!!! Can any of you tell? Ive rationalized everything all the way out. The soon to be a member of a 12 step group- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:30:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Happy happy happy happy. :) Message-ID: I finally managed to get winplay3 downloaded and went to the TMBG sound archive page with the mp3 files (which is now a link off my links page) :) and I'm in TMBG heaven. All these songs I've never heard before.. And two versions of Older! I think I'll just spend the rest of my shift downloading songs.. :) Re: the Immortal/vampire thread: I agree with those that think that Linnell's an Immortal.. there's just too much evidence supporting this theory. As for Flans, I think that he's moral, but is taking a longetivity drug of some sort. He will age, just slower than usual. Or you could subscribe to a regeneration theory..Hm. Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603190935.0096b3f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 19:09:35 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NON-TMBG: re: Frank Black Bat Wings >Mike "Later, they found out they were chanting at >the wrong building. The BatWings were in the >office across the street." Leffel Some jokester apparently put a big sign saying "BatWings Here --->" next to the building... I don't think the unruly mob found it very ammusing. Good story. I laughed out loud [1]. -ec [1] And when I laugh out loud, I laugh out *LOUD* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:23:22 -0700 (PDT) From: Cory Calhoun Subject: TMBG: Koala (&) Bear Message-Id: Maybe to make "Mammal" not ruined for you, just interpret as "Koala, bear, and hog." Maybe? Cory ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:32:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603193129_-1464463071@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital / SuperFueled FreakSicle >Yah, but Sensurround and We've Got A World That Swings are both >*extremely* strong songs. IMHO, they were wasted on the SEXXY single; >they'd have been better off waiting and putting them on the next album (has >anyone confirmed the title _Insect Hospital_, or is it another rumor?) rather >than throwing them away on the single. don't count your asskicking album tracks before they're hatched! Remember how James K. Polk was once a lowly Istanbul b-side? I never thought I'd hear it live and just about had a llama the first time I heard it on the FS tour - and lo and behold, it got its rightful spot on the album. A souped-up version, no less. SenSurround's chances aren't quite as good, i guess, since it's on the mmpr soundtrack album already, but WGAWTS ....ya never know. moose "Bremerton's a nice place to reside" <- stupid song stuck in my head grrrrr!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 20:16:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706040016.UAA26088@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Only one will survive... >Hey... Question: If They were saving all the other songs (the second group) >for Insect Hospital, and Unforgotten was included in that group, then why >did they put Unforgotten on the SEXXY single? Evidently it wasn't. IMHO, it wouldn't make much of an album track (it fits far better as a sort of "novelty track") and I would assume TMBG thought of it much the same way. >Also, anyone have any late-breaking news about this? I'd assume they're >recording some *new* songs about now... seeing as they're not touring. Or >they could be vacationing... :) I *do* know that Rykodisc says "Imaginary Friend" (Mono Puff #2) should be out in the fall, so I would assume JF is recording that right about now. >And, um... Any new info on Freaksicle? Last I heard it was delayed until >after Insect Hospital and Imaginary Friend (?). I'm just wondering, 'cause >this would be a really great thing... all those cool b-sides... Well, as an indication, Superfueled Freaksickle has been "in the pipeline" for a year and a half now. Personally, I don't know if it'll ever be released, but around the time of Factory Showroom, Pat Dillett said They still had full plans to go ahead with it after the release of their next album (i.e. Insect Hospital) so it's always a possibility. >Yah, but Sensurround and We've Got A World That Swings are both *extremely* >strong songs. IMHO, they were wasted on the SEXXY single; they'd have been >better off waiting and putting them on the next album (has anyone confirmed >the title _Insect Hospital_, or is it another rumor?) rather than throwing >them away on the single. SenSurround I strongly agree with -- in either incarnation it's good enough to be an album track, and the second version would have fit on Factory Showroom quite easily. However, IGAWTS I strongly disagree with. While it is a vaguely neat song, it's rather, umm... lacking in substance. And it sounds too much like the new "big band" version of "Reprehensible." As for _Insect Hospital_: like _Thing_ before it, it's been announced as a tentative title by Themselves at concerts. So, while the album will not neccesarily be called that, it *is* what the Johns are thinking right now. >Well, I just got the Frank Black "Frank Black" CD today.. Frank's disc is a lot of fun at first (Czar and Old Black Dawning are very cool) but it loses it's polish fairly quickly -- I haven't listened to my copy in months. But pick up _Doolittle,_ by Frank's old band the Pixies, one of the forerunners of modern alternative rock. Excellent stuff. >The FAQ says that the "Precious and few" refrain is a paraphrase of a >seventies pop song. Specifically, "Precious and Few" by Climax. Josh Polysyllabic verbosities promulgate. /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603202543.0096c610@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:25:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Insect Hospital (forwarded to The List, because other people are probably wondering...) Phil Vogel wrote: (re: Insect Hospital (or Thing)'s release date) >By the way people were talking about it, it seemed closer than I figured >it'd be... > Well... people on this list will always anxiously await each new album, even *way* before it comes out. Also, the reason it may *seem* closer to some people it because.... (re: "seven new songs") >What do you mean about the seven songs? At the Factory Showroom recording sessions They cut 22 tracks in all: All of Factory Showroom (Including Token Back To Brooklyn, not including I Can Hear You), plus Sensurround and Unforgotten, appearing on the SEXXY EP. These songs (except Unforgotten, see below) were considered by them to have a different "feel" to them, the remaining songs had a ddifferent feel (this group includes Unforgotten). They decided that instead of having another 20 track album, and instead of breaking up either of the groups, they would save the second group for later... possibly (at the time) an EP, or (more likely) save them for the basis of a new album. The songs that they recorded, but didn't release are: Reprehensible, They Got Lost, On The Drag, Rat Patrol, Counterfeit Faker, Certain People I Could Name, and Older. (Come to think of it, wasn't there one more? I can't remember if there was...) These above songs are played in concert, and the studio versions are available by trading for the FS Sessions Tape that some people have, or by Real Audio at some page which I can't remember. -ec > > Phil Vogel P.S. To: anyone On the list, when I or anyone posts with a subject line such as "Immortality / 'Holy Zip Drive, Batman!'" feel free to delete the part of the subject that you're not responding to. Thanks. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603203444.0094d660@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:34:44 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: SenSurround Live I've never heard this live, so questioon: do they play it more like the MMPR version, or more like the SEXXY version? Do they play the "Ba Ba" part, or the "funky" part? Eh? Eh? Evan "Posting Frenzy! Posting Frenzy!" Chakroff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603203031.0096d400@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:30:31 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Polk >don't count your asskicking album tracks before they're hatched! Remember how >James K. Polk was once a lowly Istanbul b-side? I never thought I'd hear it >live and just about had a llama the first time I heard it on the FS tour - >and lo and behold, it got its rightful spot on the album. A souped-up >version, no less. SenSurround's chances aren't quite as good, i guess, since >it's on the mmpr soundtrack album already, but WGAWTS Unforgotten>....ya never know. Well, not to bring up the "Which Polk is better" discussion again (but I guess I just did :) I think the singing saw would be a better addition if it was more in tune... but since it's not, I like the "la" part better. [1] -ec [1] Couldn't they have used some fancy studio sound software to take the pitch down? (Or just recorded it slow, then sped it up... like the olden days!) PS. anyone finish The James K. Polka? PPS. would these go before or after the footnotes? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603210702.0094e100@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:07:02 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Cibo Matto Hey, I know a few of you have their album(s)... Would Viva La Woman be a worthwhile purchase? Are the songs more like Birthday Cake, or Sugar Water? And, please explain to me why Sugar Water is *the* most radical [1] video I've seen in a long time.[2] -ec [1] Betcha thought no one said that anymore! Well, you're right! [2] It is soooo awesomecool. See it. Believe it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 3 Jun 97 21:13 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Polk >Well, not to bring up the "Which Polk is better" discussion again (but I >guess I just did :) I recently finally got to hear the original, and I have to say I like the new one better. I love the drums in the new one.. Still, the la's are better than the singing saw, methinks. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706040109.AA03160@sloth.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Pengiun/A and Grey, Tiny Toons, Shari Lewis Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:09:08 -0400 (EDT) > Cup. (Game One, tonight, FOX, 7 pm EST! Whoo hoo!) As far as the A and > Grey part, let's think, everyone: say it out loud: A...8...A...8. > Grey...Great...Grey...Great. They sure sound an awful lot alike, and > what with the New York accent, who can say for sure? Now, of course, not They don't have New York accents, if anything they have Massachusetts accents. > Shari Lewis: > > Anyone else find it ironic that a lamb would be hosting a seder in which > a _lamb shank_ plays a major symbolic role? I mean, I know it's a puppet What is a lamb shank and a seder? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706040113.AA03180@sloth.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Immortal? Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:13:59 -0400 (EDT) > At 06:48 PM 5/31/97 -0400, you wrote: > >> In the immortal words of Matt James: > >Are you calling Matt James an immortal? He isn't. Moose, Christy, and > >I call those guys at concerts that just stand like rocks and wear trench > >coat immortals. has anyone else exsperienced this phenomenon? > > Yes. They're waiting around to challenge John Linnell, who is also an > Immortal. (Think about it, people! "I'm not done, and I won't be 'til my > head falls off"?!?! Mere coincidence, think you? The man has not aged > appreciably in the last ten years or so!) > > --nicole I tried to throw a sword at his neck when he was on stage but he did the strange arm balance Virgo thing and it missed him. Oh well, I better dig up my trenchcoat. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: hlan1@student.monash.edu.au Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 11:31:30 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Koalas Message-id: <4C55B5546B7@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au> Organization: Monash University > I have been listening to Apollo and i was wondering if anyone else > feels >that the awsome "Mammal" was ruined by the fact that they call the >Koala a Bear ( as it's not ...... Im' i over sensitive to this as i'm >a Australian ????? This irks me too. They also call monotremes mammals cousins but I am sure they are actually a subspecies and therefore mammals themselves. I'm sure all you Americans don't really care, but the platypus is a marvellous creature. Hannah (undoubtedly an Australian) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970603221726.00d5dcb4@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 22:17:29 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: TMBG: What's a seder? and Mono Puff >> Anyone else find it ironic that a lamb would be hosting a seder in which >> a _lamb shank_ plays a major symbolic role? I mean, I know it's a puppet >What is a lamb shank and a seder? "Seder" is Hebrew for "order," and is used to refer to the traditional dinners on the first and second nights of Passover, which have a specific order in which things ar done. On the seder plate are several specific items, including horseradish, eggs, and the shank bone of a lamb. This stems from the story of the Jews using the blood of a lamb on their door to indicate to the Angel of Death that they were not Egyptians. Watch "The Ten Commandments." On a side note, has anyone out there transcribed any of Guitar Was the Case? It sounds fun to play and must be on a scale somewhere. The Famous Polka is an ionian in the key of D. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:20:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603221955_1890074816@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Coke Has anyone gone ahead and made a sound clip of that Coke Commercial? ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:20:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970603222021_-430168519@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG & the Q word I've heard in an interview Linnell saying that They are just trying to do something that's interesting and new, but it comes across as weird. But They're aren't trying to be weird. The definition for quirk(y) is: quirk (kwurk) n. 1. A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy. 2. An unpredictable or unaccountable act or event; a vagary. 3. A sudden sharp turn or twist. TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ========================================================================= ma-ni-ac (ma`ne`ak`) n. 1. An insane person. 2. A person who has an excessive enthusiasm or desire for something. 3. A person who acts in a wildly irresponsible way ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 22:32:15 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <3394D3AF.7C16@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Non TMBG:Cibo Matto Oo oo I have no idea who Cibo Matto is, but I read Mr. Matt James'(our resident immortal :+) Wahoo I started a thread and not even on purpose) posst and then saw Chasing Amy for the second time. I noticed a Cibo Matto poster hanging up in the club where Holden finds out Alyssa is gay. Did anyone else notice this or is going to see the movie to prove I'm right.(Wow, I feel so observate) Bye, Vera Sorry this isn't TMBG I feel sacreligous. I WANT LINNELL!!!!!! Ahh now I feel better. ;+1(me licking my lips) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3394DC0D.2212@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:07:57 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. > "They Might Be Giants Flansburgh (left) and Linnell: a quirky brilliance." ^^^^^^ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! The Q word! -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3394DE1E.4954@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:16:46 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is an Immortal, Flansy is a? Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > At 09:37 PM 6/2/97 -0500, you wrote: > >We have some pretty good proof that Linnell is Immortal- the > >aformentioned guys in trenchcoats stalking him, the fact that he never > >seems to age, and the appearance of Linnells in history (i.e., the John > >Linnell that made furniture (when was this again? Who told me this? I > >don't know.), > > 'Twas me. It was at the Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, > about a year ago, and it was a *scary* experience. :) > (For those who missed it--I went to the Palace of the Legion of Honor, > which is a ritzy museum in the ritzy part of San Francisco, and in one of > their many rooms devoted to Renaissance furniture, I spotted a chair/desk > made in the 18th century by one John Linnell. I am *NOT* making this up. > Could someone go back there and see if it's still there... mebbe take a > picture...?) > > >The logic here is close enough for me to believe that this was the one > >and only Linnell that we all know and love. > > There's also the song evidence. I mean, come on-- "I'm not done and I > won't be til my head falls off"????? Tell me that's not the work of an > Immortal! > > >We know he's multi-talented- > >he can about play every instrument known to man, so why can't he make > >furniture and woodcuts? And I'm sure if we delved even furthur back in > >history, we would discover John Linnells that have designed cathedrals in > >the Gothic period, perhaps after roaming the steppe with Chinggis Khan as > >an emissary to the Mongols during the conquest. > > As an Ambassador of Love, perhaps? :) *nicole ducks and runs* > > > He could have been > >Pope! He could have helped to discover the new world! He could have > >written _Beowulf_! > > Linnell is fond of referencing his own work (Hey, Mr. DJ, for example). > Maybe we could go through TMBG songs and look for references to _Beowulf_, > thus proving that its author and John Sidney Linnell are one and the same? > > >But what of Flansburgh? Is he just a normal human who happened to > >associate himself with this Immortal? I don't like to think so. Perhaps > >the vampire theory has some validity to it after all. Just think: Who > >better for a vampire to associate with than an Immortal? Let's not > >follow the old wive's tale theory of vampires, either- I've seen > >Flansburgh in the daylight! So maybe he's an old vampire, one so old > >that he can withstnad the day. Maybe he's known Linnell far longer than > >he'd like to let us all know! This could be a factor in explaining the > >brilliance of their music- so much history and experience behind it! So, > >we know Linnell's an Immortal- is Flansburgh a vampire? Or am I just > >completely out of my mind? > > Flansburgh and Linnell claim to have met during their common childhood. > We've established that Linnell is at least 300 years old. That rules out > normal mortality for Flans, although I'm not sure if I'd classify him as a > vampire. (His teeth are pretty darn normal.) In fact, I'd call him an > Immortal, same as Linnell, except for the pesky fact that, unlike Linnell, > he's aged physically. (Not much, it's true, and he could prolly pass for 5 > or 10 years younger than he is. In the Automobile Mag pic (I'll try to > scan the pix in this week and post them on my site, 'k?), he only looks > 20something. > > We really need to devote a site to this... Whaddaya mean, Flansy's not a vampire?? I'm a vampire, and my teeth are pretty damn normal! Also, Flansy's a lefty, and I am too... maybe I'm his Evil Twin... bwa ha ha... or maybe he's MY Evil Twin. Is it me, or did They do a song called Evil Twin...? Only adds to the theory... The plot thickens!! -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3394DEE9.4C00@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:20:09 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Don't Start Adam Tyner wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Same here, about hearing... :> The only difference I can tell is that the > swooshing noise between "this is the worst part" and "could believe for all > the world" is a little spiffier sounding in the single version. Other than > that...I don't know. > > TTYL, > > -Adam > > At 05:19 PM 6/3/97 BST, you wrote: > > > >What actually is the difference > >between the two versions? I've > >listened to the two (admittedly not > >one after the other) and as far as I > >can tell there is no difference! Mind > >you, I'm not exactly famed for my > >hearing. I noticed the drums are a lot cooler-sounding, there's a slight echo, and it just generally sounds better. -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: IRC Message-ID: <19970603.213028.3270.9.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:30:44 EDT i guess i didn't make myself clear enough when i asked what the deal was with #TMBG. every time i go in there.. i end up being channel OP cuz no one is in there. what are there no bots? what teh deal...where is everyoen. i used to go in there and there would always be a bot and one other person.... waiting for that prozac moment to arrive, I'll adore that magic moment. glad to be alive... I've already wasted half a lifetime or so, if i change my mind how would i know? love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Message-ID: <19970603.213028.3270.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:30:44 EDT okay, i was listening to the radio today and they played this song that had "i saw the best minds of my generation destored by madness" in it. now, i figured this meant one of a few things: 1) some famous person said it and everyone (They, and whoever wrote that song) decieded to use it in their songs (prolly the most likely) 2) They got it off of this song 3) the anonymous band got it off of i should be allowed to think if it is #1 does anyone know how the rest of the speech goes? "They might be giants are the most kick-ass, totally rockin band..." JOrdaN ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: your own worst enemy Message-ID: <19970603.213028.3270.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:30:44 EDT okay, sorry to post twice but... someone mentioned something about your own worst enemy and i had to tell my story: in class a long time ago we were reading Oedipus the King or something like that and someone says your own worst enemy. well, i of course manage to start singing it quietly and since i had given They tapes to about 7 people in that class pretty soon it was a whole big sing along and we all got thrown out. the only other times i've ever had sing alongs in classes was in early 1991 when we had a sub kinda person there and so we all sang particle man and istanbul (wow, this was before i was a THEY freek) oh yeah, and last year i got a Violent femmes sing along of blister in teh sun when a guy brought in his guitar and i kinda stole it and started playing it... i couldn't believe that the majority of the people in there knew the song! =) "i am not left of the mainstream, however i am slightly to the right of it" love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3394E194.5817@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:31:32 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Aroun Has anyone noticed how They kinda sing "Around" in Santa's Beard kinda weird at 1:08? They kinda drop off the ending and say "Aroun"... or is it just my CD? Or is it just me? Nahh... -- Vladimir Drakul ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * * -John Stange * * * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * * -George Hartnell * * * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * * -TMBG * * * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * * -John Flansburgh * * * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * * -Carl Sagan * ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603233934.006a3560@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:39:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: IRC At 11:30 PM 6/3/97 EDT, you wrote: >i guess i didn't make myself clear enough when i asked what the deal was >with #TMBG. every time i go in there.. i end up being channel OP cuz no >one is in there. what are there no bots? what teh deal...where is >everyoen. i used to go in there and there would always be a bot and one >other person.... Which #tmbg are you on? What set of servers? There's always someone on EFNet and Undernet #tmbg... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970603234053.006a52c8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:40:53 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... It's from the late Allen Ginsberg's 'Howl'. TTYL, -Adam At 11:30 PM 6/3/97 EDT, you wrote: >okay, i was listening to the radio today and they played this song that >had "i saw the best minds of my generation destored by madness" in it. >now, i figured this meant one of a few things: >1) some famous person said it and everyone (They, and whoever wrote that >song) decieded to use it in their songs (prolly the most likely) /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 23:44:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Koalas Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-Jun-97 TMBG: Koalas by hlan1@student.monash.edu > This irks me too. They also call monotremes mammals cousins but I am > sure they are actually a subspecies and therefore mammals themselves. call it artistic license - and he's not necessarily calling them cousins of mammals, either - (pointless scientific info coming up...) Placental the sister of her brother marsupial the subclass Theria contains an infraclass Eutheria. These are known as placental mammals. They are, according to the song, the sister of their brother, which makes sense, so far, if not a little bit redundant. Theria contains another infraclass called Metatheria, which contains a single order called Marsupiala (marsupials). which could effectively be called the brother of the placental mammals (Metatheria would be the brother of Eutheria, at least) So, in effect, this part of the song is correct. Their cousin called monotreme, dead uncle allotheria. Not Mammal's cousin - the cousin of the placental mammals and marsupials. This is also correct. Mammalia has a subclass Prototheria with a single order Monotremata (monotremes). Allotheria is the third subclass of Mammals, and the last of those disappeared about 40 million years ago. whee... fun long scientific words and stuff... aren't you all glad you know that now? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970603171932.0070bebc@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:54:14 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? At 03:52 PM 6/3/97 -0400, you wrote: >I think Superfueled Freaksicle is long dead and was probably just >another machination of their demented minds. If so, it was an unusually widespread rumor. I saw mention of it (as a "near-future release" in a book of record reviews, for cryin' out loud... :) >I think Superfueled was supposed to be *new* >b-sides but it just never happened. I could be wrong, though, you never >know what is in the minds of the Johns. They'll have to do something eventually; most of the Elektra singles are out of print already. If the b-sides aren't anthologized soon, they'll be depriving their fans of some really good songs. >don't count your asskicking album tracks before they're hatched! Remember how >James K. Polk was once a lowly Istanbul b-side? JKP was, I think, a special case. John and John said somewhere (someone help me out?) that JKP had a strong following among TMBG's hardcore fans (that's us, folks!) and that that was one reason why They put it on FS. I've been on this list for... oh... almost 3 years, I think, and I do think that JKP was unusual in that respect. People were carrying "James K. Polk" banners to concerts and saying things like "Hearing James K. Polk live is like a religious experience!" --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3394E657.1B1D@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:51:51 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS > i'd just like to say that we are 10 DAYS away from linny's birthday and > well, i think there should be an ongoing (ie non-stop) party from now > until then in his honor! actually, i think we should all wear a they > shirt or something they on his birthday.... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * -John Stange * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * -George Hartnell * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * -TMBG * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * -John Flansburgh * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * -Carl Sagan ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970603211053.006f6258@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:20:43 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... At 11:30 PM 6/3/97 EDT, you wrote: >okay, i was listening to the radio today and they played this song that >had "i saw the best minds of my generation destored by madness" in it. >now, i figured this meant one of a few things: >1) some famous person said it and everyone (They, and whoever wrote that >song) decieded to use it in their songs (prolly the most likely) >2) They got it off of this song >3) the anonymous band got it off of i should be allowed to think > >if it is #1 does anyone know how the rest of the speech goes? Wow. You missed the whole Ginsberg thread? "I saw the best minds of my generation, destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical" is the first line of legendary Beatnik poet Allen Ginsberg's (he died a few weeks ago) seminal work, an incredibly despairing poem called "Howl." TMBG do credit Mr. Ginsberg in the liner notes to John Henry; check it out. Speaking of John Henry's liner notes, anyone else notice that Robin Goldwasser appears in the Ground Crew? I wonder what that means? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970603212655.006fa668@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:27:01 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS At 08:51 PM 6/3/97 -0700, you wrote: >> i'd just like to say that we are 10 DAYS away from linny's birthday >WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! > My ear is ringing, the song it's singing, the song is bringing the people 'round... sorry, couldn't resist. :) My next post will be worthwhile, I promise. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-154 ******************************