Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-155 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 155 Thursday, 5 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Re: Non-TMBG: Cibo Matto and Band of Weeds TMBG: This is accordion awareness month! Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Re: NON-TMBG: CIBO MATTO (or)... Non-TMBG: Side point about sigs... RE:TMBG: I should be allowed to think or Re: TMBG: New CDs? NON-TMBG: blister TMBG: TMBG on my school PA!! (and more) Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... TMBG: Worship the Johns TMBG: Misunderstood lines, accordion, some good things TMBG: WBS live chat update TMBG: MEGA GIANT NEWS (Please Read. I found Kitman's teacher!) TMBG: Aroun/DLS/polite request for new songs Re: TMBG: Request TMBG: Remix.... Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... Re: TMBG: Worst Enemy TMBG: platypuses TMBG: I saw the best minds of my generation.... Re: TMBG: Mini Disc? Re: TMBG: Bye Re: TMBG: Aroun/DLS/polite request for new songs Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS TMBG: how good is the 'official' TMBG site with product orders? Re: TMBG: how good is the 'official' TMBG site with product Non-TMBG: Mini Disc? (though i did add a bit of TMBG relavence to justify this post) Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. Re: TMBG: Supertihs Freakthat Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. TMBG: Today's magic word is... "Ansbur." Re: TMBG: New CDs? TMBG: Re: TMBG songs have a common theme! TMBG: Re: TMBG songs have a common theme! Re: A.M.TMBG: List of TMBG Characters TMBG: Re: several subjects Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199706040416.XAA18450@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 00:06:01 -0500 Happy Birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, whoop de doo! Whoop de doo! Have a happy birthday, HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY, whoop de doo! Whoop de doo! Mike "I don't like cake!" Leffel gives Vladdie-Lad some of his famous Ex-Lax Hi-C Slimer Punch. MMM-BABY is that some citrus goodness! > > i'd just like to say that we are 10 DAYS away from linny's birthday > > WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! > > > > > > > > > -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706040623.CAA08566@hobbes.dtcc.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 02:22:12 -0400 >okay, i was listening to the radio today and they played this song that >had "i saw the best minds of my generation destored by madness" in it. >now, i figured this meant one of a few things: >1) some famous person said it and everyone (They, and whoever wrote that >song) decieded to use it in their songs (prolly the most likely) >2) They got it off of this song >3) the anonymous band got it off of i should be allowed to think > >if it is #1 does anyone know how the rest of the speech goes? the line is attributed to allen ginsberg, a Beat poet. don't know the whole poem. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706040630.CAA08577@hobbes.dtcc.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Cibo Matto and Band of Weeds Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 02:29:39 -0400 >Hey, I know a few of you have their album(s)... > >Would Viva La Woman be a worthwhile purchase? Are the songs more like >Birthday Cake, or Sugar Water? And, please explain to me why Sugar Water is >*the* most radical [1] video I've seen in a long time.[2] I must say, and say again, that when I saw Cibo Matto open for TMBG, they did not impress me. Not one bit. I remember one lady holding up a small walkman or tape player to the microphone for background sounds. For one song, they had a guest screamer come on from off stage. Yep, the lady came on sage and just screamed. The "music" just went way over my head. That is, I just didn't get it. Is their CD anything like that? Band of Weeds (with Kurt Hoffman) also opened for TMBG that night. Do they have a CD out? They had quite a bit of musical talent... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970604032539.00696f38@awod.com> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 03:25:39 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: This is accordion awareness month! Is it any coincidence that John Linnell's b-day and Accordion Awareness Month are both in June? I think not! Another useless post from: -Adam Tyner, aware of a rather beaten up accordion that he can't really play too well to his left /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:28:30 -1000 From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... >>okay, i was listening to the radio today and they played this song that >>had "i saw the best minds of my generation destored by madness" in it. >>now, i figured this meant one of a few things: >>1) some famous person said it and everyone (They, and whoever wrote that >>song) decieded to use it in their songs (prolly the most likely) >>2) They got it off of this song >>3) the anonymous band got it off of i should be allowed to think >> >>if it is #1 does anyone know how the rest of the speech goes? > >the line is attributed to allen ginsberg, a Beat poet. don't know the >whole poem. This is a poem by Allen Ginsberb called "Howl". It opens like this: I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night... Please note the punctuation and that "destroyed by madness" does not end the sentence. -- kirill ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706041237.IAA05928@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 08:37:10 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: CIBO MATTO (or)... ..."You've got to know your chicken!" Evan wanted to know more about the equisite band out of NYC, Cibo Matto. I'd be happy to oblige. Cibo Matto is an excellent band, one that blends humor with a really fresh approach to music. Are they doing something completely original that no one's ever done? Probably not. But a disc full of danceable songs, nearly all of which have food-related titles? Not the standard "alternative" fare. The booklet says that the disc was "conceived over the dinner table," or something to that effect. There's some wonderful poetry in the lyrics as well...check out "Artichoke" along those lines. As far as I know, they've released only the full-length _Viva! La Woman_ and the "Sugar Water" ep, a combination of remixes and live tracks. Presumably disc #2 is in the works. These comparisons are pretty risky, but I'd guess that the band is a mix of B-52's (for hoppin' beats and female vocals) and Sonic Youth (for noise and occasionally oblique lyric). Sprinkle some Beck on the top (Has anyone else noticed that the exact same music sample is used on Beck and Cibo Matto's discs?) Let's top it off by acknowledging that Cibo Matto opens up the stage to someone other than weary white males. Nothing against them, considering I am one (at least all but the weary part), but hey, when Paul McCartney's flaccid new sounds are considered the music event of the spring, well, let's just say it's nice to hear some different voices out there too. The Beck/Cibo Matto tour, which I was lucky enough to catch at Cabaret Metro in Chicago, was an eye-opening double bill, even without Beck's cheesy disco lights. A TMBG/Cibo Matto show would surely melt the house. I'd love to see Cibo Matto remix a Giants song; for some reason "Pet Name" comes to mind. Peace, Brett ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 04 Jun 1997 22:45:12 +1000 Message-ID: <000EC153.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: Non-TMBG: Side point about sigs... Sorry to bring this up, I just had to say this quickly... Has anyone else noticed that our very own Bat-Winged-Boy, Vlad Drakul's sig seems to be growing larger? I think we should be careful or it just may team up with the hampsters to take over the universe... Andrew (ps - you're lucky... it seems as though only about half of my posts to the list are getting through.. danged server) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706041301.WAA29507@inetnif.niftyserve.or.jp> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:55:00 +0900 From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2YwZkJnPXUbKEI=?= Subject: RE:TMBG: I should be allowed to think or >Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:28:30 -1000 >From: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) >Reply-To: kirill@lava.net (Kirill) >Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >>the line is attributed to allen ginsberg, a Beat poet. don't know the >>whole poem. >This is a poem by Allen Ginsberb called "Howl". It opens like this: > I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving > hysterical naked, > dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an > angry fix, > angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to th e > starry dynamo in the machinery of night... >Please note the punctuation and that "destroyed by madness" does not end >the sentence. >-- kirill The opening verse of "Howl" is probably one of the most over-quoted lines in recent English poetry. But it should be noted that it is a very long poem, filling one book in itself, and that the other parts of it bear reading as wel l (that is, if you're not put off by homosexuality). If anybody is interested, there are also recordings of "Howl" done by Ginsburg himself, both on cassete and CD. Daisuke Nakai PXD07057@niftyserve.or.jp ------------------------------ From: mjames@cs3100.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706041326.AA13424@cs3100.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:26:49 -0400 (EDT) > At 03:52 PM 6/3/97 -0400, you wrote: > >I think Superfueled Freaksicle is long dead and was probably just > >another machination of their demented minds. > > If so, it was an unusually widespread rumor. I saw mention of it (as a > "near-future release" in a book of record reviews, for cryin' out loud... :) Well that's our clever boys now... > > >I think Superfueled was supposed to be *new* > >b-sides but it just never happened. I could be wrong, though, you never > >know what is in the minds of the Johns. > > They'll have to do something eventually; most of the Elektra singles are > out of print already. If the b-sides aren't anthologized soon, they'll be > depriving their fans of some really good songs. I've always wondered about this. It is rather hard to get some of the Elektra singles but others have not been quite so hard to get. I think there was a re-release of the Guitar and Istanbul, there have been a lot of copies floating around in the past year or two, and I'm talking new copies, not used ones. Surely, not that many new ones could have been stocked up in some warehouse. I have probably seen at least 30 or 40 Istanbul's over the 1996-97. Not quite as many Guitar's but at least 9 or 10, and that's just in this area. It's rather bizarre, since I was under the impression that there had been on re-release. Linnell will be 38, now isn't that unbelievable? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@lust.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706041701.AA24471@lust.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: blister Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:01:50 -0400 (EDT) > oh yeah, and last year i got a Violent femmes sing along of blister in > teh sun when a guy brought in his guitar and i kinda stole it and started > playing it... i couldn't believe that the majority of the people in there > knew the song! =) I'm suprised, that is one of modern rock's most popular songs. In fact, they've played it so many times I'm just about sick of it. Of course, I'm not that big of a VF fan anyway. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:22:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604132210_-1464390737@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG on my school PA!! (and more) Mm! guys guess what!!! :D :D :D Okay see. My school, during the minute before homeroom, they always have played music as a warning. And it's always been crappy old-teacher music. Well just this week, a student started picking out the music. I walk into homeroom (wearing my snoman shirt ironically), and I make out the tune of "Eenh eeen een en en eeenh en en enh enh.." -- ANA NG! Well I froze and walked to the table with a big smile on my face, and singing of course. Wow. I still can't over that.:) Another fan is using his powers to force people to listen to TMBG. Excellent . Oh, and another girl in my homeroom that has 'Lincoln' and I were talking about Them; and she said that They are IN the Power Rangers movie - no, not just SenSurround, actually *Them*! I guess they were touring the set and by accident were in the background, and this is news to me! :) Is this common knowledge, or do I have to go and rent the damn movie? :) >> that "i'm god and you suck" attitude that >graham had... Either you got the wrong >impression off of Graham or this was one rare >occassion, but Graham has always been very nice >in the few times I've met him. I've never hearyd >of him (before this) of having an "I'm God and >you suck" attitude. Yeah, I met Graham once and he was reeeeally nice!:) re: Linnell's eyes- After readning countless mesages on this topic, and knowledge of my own eyesight, 1) he probably started it because if he *did* wear them on stage, they'd be dubbed sillier names then "quirky" -- how about critics writing up reviews? I mean, you know how bad they are already.. they'd invariably go: *EIGHT EYED DUO RELEASES 'FLOOD' - QUIRKY NERD POP FOR OTHER FOUR EYED NERDS...* You get it. Just like twins hate to be seen as 'one person' - the Johns I'm sure already having the same name, try to be and show their different personalities. 2) It is really irritating to be wearing glasses and working, especially in heat (LOL, no, that's not what I mean ). Ex - Steve Page from the Barenaked Ladies is always pushing his glasses up while he's singing. Maybe Linny's face sweats and his glasses don't stay on. And Flans, maybe he's got different sweat glands.;) >> 1) Greek #3 - it'd be fun trying to see if >they can pronounce it still My guess is that >Linnell wrote the lyrics down and then read them >as he sang them. Yeah, I'm 99% sure of that. How? See, if you're listening on headphones and unplug it halfway, you can hear his over vocals and a rustling of papers. > 1. What is everyone favorite TMBG t-shirt? 2040. > 2. What is everyones favorite TMBG hat? the black one with the bubbles, as you say.:) > 3. What novelty item of TMBG if your favorite? The TMBG cards, natch! ;) But to be serious (gasp!) the mug I have.. with the chartreuse and blue logo.. is permanately attatched to my hands. Does that count for novelty? If not then, the mousepad. I loooove it.:):) >Does anyone else think that Guitar was the Case >sounds a lot like Shadowy Men on a Shadowy >Planet? Mm hmm! :) I thought that immediately the first time I heard it. >"the guy with the messed up face" I just thought of a new twist on this line. Is it possible, the "face" could be the way the "guy" faces life? His messed up face could be referring to an alcoholic lifestyle? >Well, I just got the Frank Black "Fank Black" >CD today.. It's an excellent cd. If not just for the Linnell appearance alone! "Occidentally tic-tac!" :D >Would Viva La Woman be a worthwhile purchase? >Are the songs more like Birthday Cake, or Sugar >Water? More like SW, except probably "Know Your Chicken" and "Beef Jerky" (the latter being my fave track on that cd). sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html <-updated!:D ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706041650.LAA06309@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think origins.... Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 12:40:31 -0500 > >the line is attributed to allen ginsberg, a Beat poet. don't know the > >whole poem. > > This is a poem by Allen Ginsberb called "Howl". It opens like this: ^^^^^^^^^^^ HAHAHAH! Oh! This typo made my day! HAHAHAH! Mike "Kiss those blues goodbye" Leffel ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:52:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604135148_-1998978598@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Worship the Johns Hey all- You may or may not remember, but every so often when I'm feeling creative and whimsical, I publish a little 'zine I like to call "Splink!". Here's where you come in: I'm doing a little article on my opinions of John Worshipping. I'd like to know you guy's comments on the subject. Right? Wrong? etc. send comments to my personal mail mailbox- AHapyMutnt@aol.com thanks guys! Heather ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 15:01:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604150035_-1629728453@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Misunderstood lines, accordion, some good things Hello 41- One thing I'd like to say about misunderstood lines. I belive that when TMBG puts down the lyrics they wrote in a CD booklet or little FS lyric box, it is what they lyrics are. Yes, it sounds like "Number A," but if John says it's number 8, I am going to take his word for it. Accordion- A few years back I made a bi/tri weekly camp newspaper. No one ever gave me sports stats to write, so I'd have to pull stuff out of my butt to write about. One time to fill space, I added that this is National Accordion Awareness Month, don't forget to celebrate. One high up person was reading it, and said "what is he talking about??? National Accordion Awareness Month??" Then, the camp doctor at the time, who played the accordion, verified it, and schooled the guy on accordions. Cool. Good things- I found an article in the Chicao Sun Time about TMBG that has a few good things in it, and when I find it, I'll post it. I also found a copy of Flood on vinyl, which made me realy happy. Now what I was wondering, on the record etched in the vinyl, it says "master recording." Now for those that have it, do ALL Flood copies say this, or do I have one of the first 100 pressed or whatever? Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970604193254.00667ff0@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:32:54 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: WBS live chat update Okay, This Saturday, June 7 at around 8pm EST we will have the "2nd TMBG semi-weekly live WBS private chat meeting." Come one, come all. If you have any queeries, contact me. Hopefully seeing you there, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 15:49:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604154800_-228842547@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: MEGA GIANT NEWS (Please Read. I found Kitman's teacher!) Okay! Today must have been one of the most interesting and exciting days of my life. Let me start from the beginning. Several times during the week, I eat lunch at a table with my assitant principal. (ok, I'm a dork). Anyway, today, I was wearing my TMBG 2040 shirt. Towards the end of the lunch period, my Asst Principal saw "They Might Be Giants" written on the back of my shirt. She then said, "They Might Be Giants? I know their producer!" I asked if she meant Jaime Kitman, and she said yes (she was surprised I knew the name of Their manager.) It turns out that she was Kitman's social studies teacher in High School and they have still been in contact. I was speechless. What a coincidence this was. She continued to tell me the following: 1. He grew up (and she was friends with his parents) in Leonia, NJ. 2. He went to (and she taught at) Leonia Alternative High School ( i believe that's the name). 3. He became a lawyer, writer (well, we know for Auto. Mag), and producer for TMBG. 4. She told me that the niteclub they played most of the time at in NYC (she couldn't remember the name). TMBG got to play there because the owner was a classmate of Kitman's at the HS. His name was Alex (I don't remember the last name) 5. She recently got together with him and the rest of his senior class for a reunion and they all took a trip to Pennsylvania. 6. He lives in Nyack, NY (big shocker) She is getting me more information tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. Joel "Talk about connections" Gedalius PS: The teacher/ my asst principal is Dr. Vicki Karant ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970604125553.0068c068@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 12:59:27 -0700 From: JChen Subject: TMBG: Aroun/DLS/polite request for new songs Vlad Drakul wrote: >Has anyone noticed how They kinda sing "Around" in Santa's Beard kinda weird at 1:08? >They kinda drop off the ending and say "Aroun"... or is it just my CD? This actually fits in with the Become A Robot thread that deals with 8 and Great or A and Grey. My brother has argued that They sing A and Grey, but I threw this in for consideration: I have noticed that it is a usual singing habit to drop the last consonant of the last word in a lyrical phrase, mostly if this last word's note is held. Words ending in 'm' or 'n' don't seem to get this treatment a lot, but words ending in 'd' or 't' often have this happen to them. For instance, I think Why Must I Be Sad? ends with Linnell going: "Why must I be saaaaaaaaaaa....." If the 'd' is there, it's not emphasized. So I think that 8 and Great could still be correct, even though the 't' is not pronounced, although, because both that and A and Grey make little contextual sense, one can never be sure which is really correct. As for Santa's Beard, the same thing probably just happened. 'D' has a hard getting pronounced at a lyrical phrase's end, it seems. On another note: I think the main difference between the two Don't Let's Starts that sticks out to me is the bass drum roll that comes after "This is the worst part." The single one sounds softer than the album one. On yet another note: All right, I'm sorry, I haven't been paying attention, but is there someone here who I can ask for the FacShowroom sessions? Or can someone just give me the site to download the unreleased songs (Evan, maybe?)? I always kind of wanted to save hearing them for when Insect Hospital came out, but now I've heard them discussed too much and I'm just too dang curious. This list does that to a person, I guess. --LVJeff, who is sigless today because the freakin' tech people haven't finished upgrading my computer at work and I'm using someone else's Eudora!! ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:54:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604165251_-1263303777@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Request In a message dated 97-06-02 05:17:08 EDT, you write: << On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Sounds like one of Tracy's Top Ten Lists (anyone else remember Tracy?) I > looked on Ruprecht's page (he has an anthology of the lists) but couldn't > find it there. You could try checking the digests from about 18 months > ago, if you're *really* desperate. Wow, something I remember. I think I've still got a copy of a song Tracy wrote about Hyundais. Yikes. But I guess y'all know how it is to be on a mailing list, then quit because you transfer schools and your e-mail acount runs out, only to rejoin the list almost a year later, to find that it's become much more formal and you don't know what's going on anymore and find it very hard to keep up with the kids these days. Oh well. Hey, but to keep this on topic, well, a recent topic, anyway... A funny story. I met the boy I'm dating right now through this list, and if (I mean, really big hypothetical IF) we were ever to do something wacky like get married, and we asked TMBG to attend, since they were the cause of it all, do you think they'd freak out and call the cops on us? lalala...I'd want to invite Woody Allen too, but I know he'd never show. -jenny, who wonders if anyone vaguely remembers her as she vaguely remembers them. >> Even though I don't know you, I remember you! "The Brains Behind the Spandex" - Berkeley Breathed "T'ain't corn, it's dope!" - Berkeley Breathed ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Remix.... Message-ID: <19970604.164814.8111.3.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 16:53:55 EDT Does the S-E-X-X-Y single have the Remix of SEXXY on it I was just curious because it's on the Copy for radio play I got from a local radio station. It's a country station believe it or not. I don't know why they get them nor do I care all I know is in the end all these singles will be coming to me!!!!! Juice P.S. On the picture on Misc. T was that a accordian? ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:04:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604165832_711835684@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... In "become a robot", it actually says, "harbor a dingwish"(or at least, that's what the THEN: booklet says). Anyway: go here: http://members.aol.com/zsalwen/novokane/index.html ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:10:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604170840_-794057811@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst Enemy Ya' know what: I think that Turnaround is releated to Your Own Worst Enemy. I mean: Working all night at my office: Man I had recently killed(as in: killed my own worst enemy: It's as if he killed himself by drowning himself in work!). Also, he USED to take dance lessons: when the ghost of my dance instructor pushed me donw into an open grave. Which means he USED to have fun, but now he doesn't! Think so too? ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:15:09 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604171352_-1899982928@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: platypuses <> I love platypuses! (sp?) They're my favorite animal in the world!! And I live in America! I live in Maine, one of the tucked away corners of America where you almost never see a platypus, but I love them nonetheless.. Nick p.s.. I think I have a great uncle in Australia. Maybe platypuses are in the blood ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:20:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604171920_-430097289@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I saw the best minds of my generation.... The lines from TMBG's I should be allowed to think are from "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg.. It should be available in a complete form at your local library.. Nick ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:31:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604172933_406217542@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Mini Disc? In a message dated 97-06-02 18:13:18 EDT, you write: << Hey, I recently saw an ad for the Sony Mini Disc recorder... maybe you've seen this, or maybe you've known about minidiscs for a while, like I have... but anyway... Has anyone tried recording a concert with one? I'd think this would turn out better than tapes (even DAT?) yeah. -ec >> I DISAGREE FIRMLY! DAT is better, it's quality remains pretty much the same throughout copies, however Minidisc recordings DO NOT! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970604180659.006ae064@pop.erols.com> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:06:59 -0400 From: Claudia Subject: Re: TMBG: Bye At 11:33 PM 5/31/97 -0400, you wrote: >Hey all, >jus wanted to say that i have enjoyed being on this list seeing so many >devoted fans. >Unfortunately, my time here is coming to an end. My boyfriend and i are >getting out of Virginia and headed for Connecticut. I'm not going to be >using my computer much and this list generates WAY too much mail for mee to >keep up with. nonetheless, i shal eventually return. >i hope everyone has an awesome summer. > >Claudia >PS: can someone tell me how to unsubscribe, please?? heheh well, i hate to sound rude, but im SO glad to see you all were kind enough to respond to me. now i come back from a quite exhausting trip only to see that i have to delete 600+ F'N messages because no one could take out two minutes of their time to tell me how to unsubscribe. Now i IMPLORE you people to stop talking so much crap for a second and please direct me to the unsubscribing instructions. thanks ***************************************************** Visit my awesome webpages! http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/6972 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/3218 "I'd like to poison your mind with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind" ***************************************************** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3395F190.4B1@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:52:00 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Aroun/DLS/polite request for new songs > As for Santa's Beard, the same thing probably just happened. 'D' has > a hard getting pronounced at a lyrical phrase's end, it seems. Would that make Santa's Beard, Santa's Beer? Hehe... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * -John Stange * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * -George Hartnell * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * -TMBG * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * -John Flansburgh * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * -Carl Sagan ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3395F358.582@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:59:36 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: ANA NG ORIGINS > i'd just like to say that we are 10 DAYS away from linny's birthday and > well, i think there should be an ongoing (ie non-stop) party from now > until then in his honor! actually, i think we should all wear a they > shirt or something they on his birthday.... 9 more days!! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* *"...courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given." * -John Stange * *"Be strict in what you send, and forgiving in what you receive." * -George Hartnell * *"...and you must listen to me fillibuster vigilantly..." * -TMBG * *"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!!!" * -John Flansburgh * *"...there are a lot of crabs that look like Samurai warriors." * -Carl Sagan ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 09:12:48 +0930 From: "C.Lai" Message-ID: <3395FD78.4CF@al.apana.org.au> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: how good is the 'official' TMBG site with product orders? Hi! I was wondering if readers would share their experiences with mail ordering TMBG stuff from the "Official TMBG www page". I would like to order a few singles and the video but recall some discussion a few months ago about problems with mail ordering. In addition if anyone knows how I can order the TMBG singles on the Restless Records page please email me! (I live in Australia, so if anyone knows a good catalogue order place ... I'd be most grateful). Thanks, Christine ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970604202920.006a1570@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 20:29:20 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: how good is the 'official' TMBG site with product I had a pretty terrible experience. A relative ordered the video collection for me in late Jan./early Feb., and I've never gotten it...the check hasn't even been cashed. I never even got a letter saying 'Sorry, that item's out of stock.' I find that *extremely* unprofessional, and I wouldn't recommend ordering from them at all. -Adam Tyner At 09:12 AM 6/5/97 +0930, you wrote: >Hi! I was wondering if readers would share their experiences with mail >ordering TMBG stuff from the "Official TMBG www page". I would like to >order a few singles and the video but recall some discussion a few >months ago about problems with mail ordering. > >In addition if anyone knows how I can order the TMBG singles on the >Restless Records page please email me! (I live in Australia, so if >anyone knows a good catalogue order place ... I'd be most grateful). > >Thanks, Christine > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33960CB7.142C@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 17:47:51 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Non-TMBG: Mini Disc? (though i did add a bit of TMBG relavence to justify this post) ZSalwen@aol.com wrote: > I DISAGREE FIRMLY! DAT is better, it's quality remains pretty much the same > throughout copies, however Minidisc recordings DO NOT! I disagree *most* firmly. With DAT you still have ALL the restrictions that come associated with any TAPE format... such as; seek time, the linear nature of tape, lubrication issues, tape wear... however, with the much superior MINI DISC: 1. there is NO seek time for tracks 2. tracks need not be recorded linearly (ie if i wanted to insert a track inbetween tracks 5 and 6, i could.. lets see you do that with DAT) 3. There is no threat of a Mini-disc breaking due to poor or uneven lubrication 4. You can (according to sony, i havnt actually tried it, but it makes sense) record and erase over a million times without harming the media. This makes sense coz nothing touches the disc but a light. Where-as a DAT tape has a magnetic head that scrapes across the tape surface, how clumsy! now, to address the ONE issue that you brought up about mini-discs... Mini-Disc technology DOES INDEED incorporate a 'lossy' compression algorithm (called "ATRAC"), meaning that each time you make a generational DUPLICATE from one mini-disc to another, you will lose a little bit of the digital signal. ATRAC does a REALLY good job at compressing out what is beyond the human range of hearing, I DARE you to tell the difference in a blind test between a CD and a first generation MD copy... However, for copyright reasons, you can *not* make a direct digital to digital copy on DAT either, ALL consumer DAT writers have hardware prevention of this, where as Mini-Discs can dupe digitally (using a digital-optical cable) off of CD (go through the ATRAC compression ONCE) and then make as many Mini-Disc copies from that master MD as you want and each one will be indistinguishable from the source CD. To do that on DAT you either need a professional DAT deck, or somehow defeat the hardware protection. What does this all mean for GIANT-HEADS? Well, say you make a TMBG mix on both DAT and on MD... now, at the end of the summer the NEW ALBUM comes out and there is a song on it that you think would go PERFECTLY between "birdhouse" and "No One Knows My Plans" on your mix... now, if you are using DAT, you have to make the whole mix over, and doing so will decrease the lifespan of that tape... however, a MD owner can just slide the new track inbetween those two with a touch of a button, simplicity itself. Then, say a friend wants a copy of your mix. You can't make her one digitally from the DAT, coz of the hardware lock-out... but on MD you can make a straight digital copy of it (albeit it WILL go through the compression cycle one additional time, but like i said, this is un-detectable by the normal human ear until you get to about maybe 10th generation copies, however, there is no need to make a tenth generation copy when you can just always make a first generation copy from the master MD) In short, MD is a superior format and should replace both anolog and digital tapes entirely. jdm ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:31:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604222922_-629589913@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. I just read the article in my local K-mart and I loved it! I just have to say one thing about it... I MUST HAVE THAT PICTURE!!!!! has anybody checked the People website (do they have one?) for it? Is it on anyone's page? I MUST HAVE THAT PICTURE!!! TIM P.S. TDK: what is the word on your contest...? How often do you pick a winner? ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:49:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970604224901_123608453@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Supertihs Freakthat In a message dated 97-06-04 04:34:17 EDT, halequin wrote: << Well, as an indication, Superfueled Freaksickle has been "in the pipeline" for a year and a half now. Personally, I don't know if it'll ever be released, >> I was looking around the web for TMBG bootlegs (damn 2:1 trades!! what the hell kinda deal is that??) and came across a page with a boot entitled "Superfreak Fuelsicle" or something along those lines and it has all the elektra B-sides and some other stuff and the guy had it burned on to CD and I thought that was pretty cool.. is perhaps that genius on this list? So if you're tired of waiting.. look around for it... TIM ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970604224711.006a4a48@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:47:11 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in People Mag. (nod) http://pathfinder.com/people/weekly/picksnpans/song/images/giants.jpg It's a very small picture, unfortunately. TTYL, -Adam At 10:31 PM 6/4/97 -0400, you wrote: >I just read the article in my local K-mart and I loved it! > >I just have to say one thing about it... >I MUST HAVE THAT PICTURE!!!!! > >has anybody checked the People website (do they have one?) for it? >Is it on anyone's page? > >I MUST HAVE THAT PICTURE!!! > > > >TIM > >P.S. TDK: what is the word on your contest...? How often do you pick a >winner? > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:52:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706050252.WAA23040@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Today's magic word is... "Ansbur." >> "They Might Be Giants Flansburgh (left) and Linnell: a quirky brilliance." > ^^^^^^ >AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! The Q word! "Ansbur"? >okay, i was listening to the radio today and they played this song that >had "i saw the best minds of my generation destored by madness" in it. >now, i figured this meant one of a few things: Ah, the ravages of cultural illiteracy. Or, in this case, failing to read your liner notes. :) The line "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical" (it's supposed toend "...hysterical naked," but I digress) is from the poem _HOWL_ by recently deceased beat poet Allen Ginsberg. Any other song using the line is assuredly also taking it from _HOWL_. Josh What? Me make useless posts? /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970604202630.007317f8@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 20:27:44 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? At 09:26 AM 6/4/97 -0400, you wrote: >I think >there was a re-release of the Guitar and Istanbul, there have been a lot >of copies floating around in the past year or two, and I'm talking new >copies, not used ones. Surely, not that many new ones could have been >stocked up in some warehouse. I have probably seen at least 30 or 40 >Istanbul's over the 1996-97. Not quite as many Guitar's but at least 9 >or 10, and that's just in this area. It's rather bizarre, since I was >under the impression that there had been on re-release. I asked the staff at a local record store last month, when I discovered that they had *2* copies of the Istanbul single. I knew it was out-of-print and rare, so I figured that the odds that a newly-opened (but already excellent) record store would have 2 new copies were mighty slim. I asked them, and the staff guy launched into a convoluted explanation that I didn't quite get. The gist of it seemed to be that Elektra was still printing a few copies of Istanbul, but not enough to call it a genuine re-release or even to declare it still "in print". The same thing is prolly happening with the Guitar, since you've it, but I haven't seen any copies around here. >Oh, and another girl in my homeroom that has 'Lincoln' and I were talking >about Them; and she said that They are IN the Power Rangers movie - no, not >just SenSurround, actually *Them*! I guess they were touring the set and by >accident were in the background, and this is news to me! :) Is this common >knowledge, or do I have to go and rent the damn movie? :) I hadn't heard this rumor. If it's true, it's a darn juicy piece of news, tho... Anyone brave enough to rent the movie and watch it? I know *I'm* not. :) >And Flans, maybe he's got different sweat glands.;) Dunno about this. I've admittedly only been to 2 concerts, but at both of them he periodically mopped his face with a large, thirsty towel. At both shows, Flansburgh was sweating within a song or two (partially because of his predilection for bouncing around stage :), and Linnell a few songs later. Perhaps Flans has super-glued his glasses onto his face? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 20:18:39 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG songs have a common theme! Message-ID: <19970604.211048.10790.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Depends on your definition of "words". I consider Ladi is a Tramp to be wordless, even thought the word "tramp" is said once. Josh Nielsen On Sun, 01 Jun 1997 12:54:06 -0800 akers@rio.com (Bryan Akers) writes: >Let's not forget Lady is a Tramp! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 20:18:46 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG songs have a common theme! Message-ID: <19970604.211048.10790.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Not only that, but they all have some sort of beat to them. Similarities like this spell conspiracy. Josh Nielsen On 1 Jun 1997 12:09:27 GMT oilcan1045@aol.com (Oilcan1045) writes: >Hey, and EVERY SINGLE song produces sound waves! Is anyone else >smelling >conspiracy? > >Tim Schaefer > > *Oilcan1045@aol.com* > >John F: This next songs's a new one, it's called Counterfeit Faker. > >Heckler #1: NEW SONGS SUCK!!! > >John F: Yes, new songs suck, and this one's no exception. > >John F and some guy, 11-30-96, Milwaukee, WI > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:03:06 -0700 Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: List of TMBG Characters Message-ID: <19970604.220936.3798.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I thought the Ulgliness Men were totally different people. "You have to try on this bag so the UGLINESS MEN can decide if you're just as embarrassing as we think." Josh Nielsen On 3 Jun 1997 18:57:45 GMT microvore@aol.com (Microvore) writes: >Mr Horrible (alias The Ugliness Man) - Mr Horrible ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:56:00 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: several subjects Message-ID: <19970604.220936.3798.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I take things at face value too, and that is why I thought it was about a woman who was leaving him, and it takes 32 footsteps to get out the door. I think this because of the line "Where's my baby, I don't know. 32 footsteps headed out the door...". When he is count up to 32, the scream in the background is because he doesn't waqnt her to leave, and he never reaches 32 because she is gone on 32, and their relationship is over (hence, the song is over). Those are my thoughts. Josh Nielsen On Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:23:27 -0500 michael writes: >>A) The first is related to "32 Footsteps" > >Well, ur theory is a new one and a good one. I'd never thought about >that. I always thought it was just kind of a warning. Like, someone >was >coming for this person and he use's 32 steps. Kind of like, a killer >with a signature you know ? And at the end of the song he's counting >the >steps as the person gets closer. He's just kind of sitting quietly >counting the steps himself. And finally when he hears the 31st >footstep >he just flips out. Okay, thats a pretty lame interp of the song.. but >I >rarely do interp them. .I just take em for face value. BUT if i did >interp songs.. that would be some of my two cents. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-155 ******************************