Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-157 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 157 Saturday, 7 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: New TMBG Album: 'Matt's Life Savings' Re: TMBG:Elektera B-sides Compilation (Yet Again...) Re: TMBG: New CDs?\\ TMBG: WBS chat tomorrow! Re: TMBG: Polk TMBG: storm NY Re: TMBG: storm NY TMBG: storm NY in some kind of pinkness Re: TMBG:Elektera B-sides Compilation (Yet Again...) Re: TMBG: Polk TMBG: storm NY in some kind of pinkness TMBG: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: TMBG: Superfueled Freaksickle Re: TMBG: .wavs Re: TMBG: .wavs TMBG: B'Day card Re: TMBG: your own worst enemy Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... Re: TMBG: storm NY TMBG: Cake TMBG: Clarissa / People Mag Pic on the Web Re: TMBG: your own worst enemy TMBG: Non.. Oedipus Re: TMBG: B'Day card Re: TMBG: storm NY in some kind of pinkness TMBG: B'Day 2 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: TMBG: New TMBG Album: 'Matt's Life Savings' Message-ID: <19970606.103437.4639.3.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 10:40:33 EDT On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:52:39 -0400 (EDT) mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >> > At any rate... if they were planning on putting new material on >SF, then >> > that is pretty much out, seeing as how those 7 recorded tracks are >being >> > saved for _Matt's Life Savings_ (AKA Thing, Insect Hospital, >Nursing Home >> > Game Room, etc.) >> > >> > Personally, I think it would be great to have a 26 track >compilation. >> > >> > -ec >> >> I hope that when i finally get a copy of Matt's Life Savings, the >> stinking lyrics book will be included. >> >> Mike "Trying to get people to call the next album >> Matt's Life Savings so the newbies get confused" Leffel >Not only that but a seal of approval and a born on date will be >applied to the >data side of your CD, thus you will be assured of all 2 cents. >>-- > >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > Heck, it would confuse more than the newbies it would probably confuse the Johns too! ---------------Juice ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG:Elektera B-sides Compilation (Yet Again...) Message-ID: <19970606.103436.4639.2.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 10:40:33 EDT Speaking of live tracks why hasn't They released a compeletely live album or an even partly live album? Justin aviso@juno.com Even the most solid food for thought can contain a little hair.... On Thu, 05 Jun 1997 19:05:34 -0400 Evan Chakroff writes: > > >You said there were 26 tracks total off all the EPs, not counting >wdtss? >and album tracks. 7 were remixes. > >Back when there was an official release date for SF (october last >year? >release date was jan/feb IIRC) It was going to be a two-disc set, with >"selected" b-sides, and some new material. I'd assume this would mean >they'd include all the original songs from the EPs, and maybe one or >two >remixes (such as Larger Than Life)... cutting out some of the guitar >remixes, for example. > >I assume the "new" material they mentioned would be the 7 tracks cut >from >FS. Or maybe they meant live tracks, who knows? > >At any rate... if they were planning on putting new material on SF, >then >that is pretty much out, seeing as how those 7 recorded tracks are >being >saved for _Matt's Life Savings_ (AKA Thing, Insect Hospital, Nursing >Home >Game Room, etc.) > >Personally, I think it would be great to have a 26 track compilation. > >-ec > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs?\\ Message-ID: <19970606.103436.4639.1.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 10:40:32 EDT Maybe they just wanted to wait a little while after the release of "Factory..." and "Then" the John's themselves said in the Then booklet they don't like to flood the market with stuff. Juice aviso@juno.com On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 14:34:07 -0400 (EDT) mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >> Why? Itd be entirely realistic to sell all of the elektra b-sides. >For >> one, people like me who have a hard time getting all the singles >cause >> the record stores only carry crap would buy it. For two, all of the >> extremely die hard fans who already own all the singles anyway would >buy >> it, just to keep the "I have ALL their albums!!!!" thing going. So >it >> would do about as good as any other TMBG album, and They dont even >have >> to do any real work on it, elektra just has to pump out the cds. >> Damnit, I want this CD!!! Can any of you tell? Ive rationalized >> everything all the way out. >Because it's been going on for seemingly years now and there has been >no mention of it coming into being. I mean, how long before it's just >dead? I'd be almost willing to bet my life savings (which ain't much! >;) that the new album won't be called neither Thing nor Insect >Hospital. >/Matt > >-- > >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:10:38 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: WBS chat tomorrow! Message-ID: Hey everyone! Don't forget about the WBS chat on Saturday, June 7, at 8:00 PM EST. I know, I know, there are other ways we can chat with each other, but why not help make one more available? Come on in and visit! Woo hoo! -Lani O:) "the chicken is dead" Lani's Inverse Home Page: lanio@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706061525.AA25900@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Polk Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:25:09 -0400 (EDT) > >Well, not to bring up the "Which Polk is better" discussion again (but I > >guess I just did :) > > I recently finally got to hear the original, and I have to say I > like the new one better. I love the drums in the new one.. Still, the > la's are better than the singing saw, methinks. > I personally saw this as a fatal downfall to this song. The beginning drum part makes it sound very laid back and does not seem to fit this song at all. The powerful, banging keyboard in the beginning of the b-side has such a charging enthusiasm to it that it is just perfect and sounds a million times better to me. The 'la's' just add to this effect and are especially great to hear in concert as well. While the singing saw was a neat concept, I would have to say the FS version is far inferior to the older version. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706061533.AA25911@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: storm NY Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:33:29 -0400 (EDT) In honor of next Thursday (6 days!) Linnell's birthday I think we should all storm NYC (well ok maybe Friday'd be better) and search for the man and give him a big birthday cake with little accordion candles on it. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199706061544.KAA02977@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: storm NY Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:44:27 -0500 (CDT) > In honor of next Thursday (6 days!) Linnell's birthday I think we should > all storm NYC (well ok maybe Friday'd be better) and search for the man > and give him a big birthday cake with little accordion candles on it. That'd be cool for us, but it wouldn't be so neat if we accidentally drove Linnell to extreme paranoia with all of us running around shoving burning cakes in his face... ;) Still, it'd be fun... borg Cyborg "Pez" Kucera - http://www.earthreach.com/~pez - pez@earthreach.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706061538.KAA04404@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: storm NY in some kind of pinkness Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:27:57 -0500 ---------- > From: Cyborg J. Kucera > To: mjames@greed.loyola.edu > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: storm NY > Date: Friday, June 06, 1997 10:44 AM > > > In honor of next Thursday (6 days!) Linnell's birthday I think we should > > all storm NYC (well ok maybe Friday'd be better) and search for the man > > and give him a big birthday cake with little accordion candles on it. > > That'd be cool for us, but it wouldn't be so neat if we accidentally drove > Linnell to extreme paranoia with all of us running around shoving burning > cakes in his face... ;) > > Still, it'd be fun... > > borg > We could all go to a Mailboxes etc. or something and mail a hundred cakes to linnell, c/o elektra and restless and bar none and the info club, until they get on tv and issue a NO MORE CAKES, YOU FREAKING BASTARDS! statement duing the state of the union! And wouldn't it make Betty Crocker happy? Mike "Always thinking about the welfare of the baking at home industry" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970606125950.006a8cac@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:59:50 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:Elektera B-sides Compilation (Yet Again...) At 10:40 AM 6/6/97 EDT, you wrote: >Speaking of live tracks why hasn't They released a compeletely live album >or an even partly live album? I'm not really sure. There's the radio promo Live!! NYC, but IMO, that kind of sucked. A lot of bands at least put live tracks as b-sides on singles, but I don't believe the Johns have even done that... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33987FBB.286F@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 14:23:07 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Polk > While the singing > saw was a neat concept, I would have to say the FS version is far > inferior to the older version. I just listened to my mp3 of the original JKP, and it sounds like a crappy midi file or something. The new one, with the odd souding saw, seems more complete to me. And, I think the point of the singing saw is for it to be out of tune. Why not just use a midi instrument? And when they did it live, the las were very cool, yeah, I agree. And another James K. Polk factoid... we have one of those presidential posters in my history room, and glancing over at it and seeing James K. Polk, the song started running through my head... "Martin Van Buren, a former President" was right above Mr. Polk on the poster. "James Buchanan, a moderate" was right below polk. Considering that these people were all non sequential presidents, the poster was mighty eerie to me. The Secretly Ironic- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706061830.AA25989@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: storm NY in some kind of pinkness Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 14:30:40 -0400 (EDT) > > > In honor of next Thursday (6 days!) Linnell's birthday I think we > should > > > all storm NYC (well ok maybe Friday'd be better) and search for the man > > > and give him a big birthday cake with little accordion candles on it. > > > > That'd be cool for us, but it wouldn't be so neat if we accidentally > drove > > Linnell to extreme paranoia with all of us running around shoving burning > > cakes in his face... ;) > > > > Still, it'd be fun... > > > > borg > > > > We could all go to a Mailboxes etc. or something and mail a hundred > cakes to linnell, c/o elektra and restless and bar none and > the info club, until they get on tv and issue a NO MORE CAKES, YOU > FREAKING BASTARDS! statement duing the state of the union! Perhaps Linnell doesn't like cake? We should have sent a card to him... /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 17:10:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706062110.RAA10353@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Superfueled Freaksickle >I'd be interesting in seeing some stats on what The B-side compilation >would be like. I worked out the entire thing quite a while back, long before Factory Showroom even existed. B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): Ant James K. Polk (original Istanbul version) Stormy Pinkness Cabbagetown Siftin' Welcome To The Jungle I Blame You Moving To The Sun Why Does The Sun Shine? Jessica Whirlpool Spy (single version) Ondine She Was A Hotel Detective Mrs. Train SenSurround (original) 25 O'Clock One More Parade O Tannenbaum Christmas Cards I've Got A World That Swings SenSurround (new version) Unforgotten Remakes/Remixes: "Larger Than Life" (She's Actual Size Josh Fried Mix) Istanbul (Brownsville) " (Park Slope) " (Bedford/Stuyvesant) Your Racist Friend (Sampla-Delic) The Guitar (Outer Planet) " " (Even further outer planet) " " (UK Radio Edit) Snail Dust Sleeping In The Flowers (radio edit) S-E-X-X-Y (Radio mix) S-E-X-X-Y (Warren Rigg Microwave Mix) " (Tea's Freeze Mix) " (That A Capella Mix Whose Name I Don't Remember) " (I think there's still one more mix...) All this, plus the material from the "John Henry World Tour Edition" LANY 6-song EP. With that volume of songs, a B-sides only CD would probably fill most of the disc, meaning we'd have to have a second disc for remixes. Or, we could have the original plan, for a 2-CD set, with all the B-sides and remixes spread out among the CDs and with various new songs included as well. >Back when there was an official release date for SF (october last year? >release date was jan/feb IIRC) We believed there was one, way back in 1995: it was supposedly to come out on Sept. 24. There hasn't been even a tentative release date since then. >anyone brave enough to rent the movie and watch it? SenSurround is played for about three seconds out of some guy's car radio as he pulls into his driveway. >has anyone thought that perhaps superfueled freakcycle/freaksicle just >turned into (or just ended up being) "then." Pat Dillett (TMBG's producer, for those who don't remember) has confirmed on several occasions that "Then" is completely distinct from Superfueled Freaksickle. Josh See how the bug reacts to your hand in the same way as I do... /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970606182848.0097ae00@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 18:28:48 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Superfueled Freaksickle Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >>I'd be interesting in seeing some stats on what The B-side compilation >>would be like. > >I worked out the entire thing quite a while back, long before Factory >Showroom even existed. >B-Sides (plus collection, sndtrk songs): >SenSurround (original) >25 O'Clock >One More Parade >O Tannenbaum >Christmas Cards >SenSurround (new version) I don't think they would include *both* versions of SenSurround on one album (even if it is a double-). Also, I doubt they would include the O Tannenbaum tracks. >Remakes/Remixes: (included all misc. radio edits, excessive remixes) I would assume they'd only include the remixes on the publically released singles and EPs. Like they would only include the Warren Rigg mix of SEXXY, and maybe the radio mix (seeing as how DLS and (SWA)HD mix/edits were included on Misc. T.). So, when earlier it was discussed (SF) I assumed that having "some" of the elektra b-sides would mean the disc would include *all* the b-sides, and a few selected remixes (ie, snipping out some Guitars) >All this, plus the material from the "John Henry World Tour Edition" LANY >6-song EP. Well, if you include that then can't you include the entire Live! In New York promo? that's 20 more tracks [1] to add to the pile. Regarding "flooding the market" I think they will *never* re-release all of this stuff. Frankly, I don't think a CD with all that stuff would be any good. If they were going to do that, they could just release a big box set. I don't think they will. Remixes aren't that great, and only die-hard fans would really care about all the various edits of songs. [2] So, I would be perfectly happy with a CD including all the orig. songs, a few remixes (lrg than life, maybe Brownsville and one guitar remix). Anything more would be excessive. I don't think an album where many songs were duplicated (in one form or another) would have much of a flow to it. (Especially if it is so long) -ec [1] minus whatever of those are the "We're back" and "Here's a commercial" tracks... [2] Speaking of that, could you explain *where* exactly all these came from? If you've got some of them would you mind making a tape for me? As a die-hard fan I feel deprived of the excessive remixes =) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3398A51B.5E5E@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 17:02:35 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: .wavs Mike Leffel wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > I just recently heard TMBG for the first time, and my friend told me that > you > > have some wave files of their songs. If you have any, mail me please! > > -Nels > > What's TMBG?!? > > Mike "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?" Leffel Hey, hey, easy, guys (and gals)... he's a pal of mine... he's looking like a very successful convert... I hate to ressurrect this old thread, but which album should I loan him? The ones I have: Pink John Henry Flood FS Then (I'm not too keen on Then, 'cuz I listen to it for like an hour each day) I'm thinking Flood... but then he'd be a Floodie, but not. Oh yeah; I've clipped my sig again, but I'm gonna add an awesome Pat Paulsen quote on soon. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970606201145.0069fc30@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 20:11:45 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: .wavs At 05:02 PM 6/6/97 -0700, you wrote: > >Hey, hey, easy, guys (and gals)... he's a pal of mine... he's looking like a >very successful convert... > >I hate to ressurrect this old thread, but which album should I loan him? I'd say Pink or Flood, which are two very easy albums to get into. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3398A765.572D@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 17:12:21 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: B'Day card Okay, here's the deal. Everyone's gotta give ME their net handle and e-mail address who wants to be a part of this. I'm gonna go get a cool little card from the store and send it to Restless with the following note attached: "Dear Restless, I'm sending this card on behalf of many, many loving They Might Be Giants fans all across the US. We're all on an Internet e-mail list and worship the ground the Johns (Graham and Dan too) walk on and the coffee cups they drink from. This would mean very, very much to us if this card got through to John Linnell on or before his birthday, June 13. Heck, it would even be fine after his birthday too. We'd just like to help him celebrate. Since none of us have the John's snail mail addresses (or e-mail, for that matter), we're sending it to you. Please please please don't let us down. Yours Truly, Vladimir Drakul A Loyal Listie" Enclosed with the letter would be a birthday card with a little birthday ditty and all of our names. Of course, I'd include the list's e-mail address, so They could e-mail us a "Thanks from the Johns" at least (though they probably wouldn't). So I'm starting now. SEND THOSE MESSAGES!! Deadline is Monday. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:25:40 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: your own worst enemy Message-ID: On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, I have no Name wrote: > okay, sorry to post twice but... someone mentioned something about your > own worst enemy and i had to tell my story: > in class a long time ago we were reading Oedipus the King or something > like that and someone says your own worst enemy. well, i of course > manage to start singing it quietly and since i had given They tapes to > about 7 people in that class pretty soon it was a whole big sing along > and we all got thrown out. > Ooh, this is fun, hadn't thought of that before! That guy could be Oedipus, who of course gouged out his eyes with the brooch he gave his wife/mother (what was her name again?), which would leave him with a rather messed-up face. And he's in a tragedy, which at that time was sung, so he's he's singing a song...and he _was_ his own worst enemy...yeah... See where too much larnin 'll get ya? Yes, you too can come up with bizarre interpertations to songs that the writers never intended youi to come up with! Hee hee! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:28:33 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Here's hoping you don't... Message-ID: On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 ZSalwen@aol.com wrote: > In "become a robot", it actually says, "harbor a dingwish"(or at least, > that's what the THEN: booklet says). > > Anyway: go here: http://members.aol.com/zsalwen/novokane/index.html > Well, sure, maybe in your Then booklet from Mars! In mine it says "wishnik." Dingwish makes less sense than "penguin." Maybe its different in each one, and somewhere out there, some They fan has a Then booklet that reads "penguin." Wouldn't that be a trip! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:34:40 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: storm NY Message-ID: On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Matthew James wrote: > In honor of next Thursday (6 days!) Linnell's birthday I think we should > all storm NYC (well ok maybe Friday'd be better) and search for the man > and give him a big birthday cake with little accordion candles on it. > /Matt > This should endear us to him forever. Though, being an Immortal, he probably has some secret lair underground where he practices his sword play. "There he is! Let's go! John, happy birthday! We love you!" "Who are you people? Leave me alone! This is why I run away after concerts!" "But we're here to wish you happy birtday! Look, we have a cake! Check out the candles, we made them ourselves!" "My god, what are those? They look like bloody gobbits of flesh! You people make me sick!" "They're accordions." "Oh." "Blow out the candles! The cake is chocolate!" "But I don't like cake! Didn't you people get 'It's not My Birthday' at all?" "Blow out the candles!" "Police!" See? It would never work out. He might just behead us with his sword, and then, then, where would we be? Dead and headless, that's where. It's best we wish him a happy b-day from afar, eh? Yom hooledet sameach, John! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 20:43:47 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Cake Message-Id: You guys have it all wrong. It not cake, it's coke. Not the drug. Maybe not even the soda, maybe we should just scrape all the coffee beans off the floors of our respective supermarkets and give him a "house blend". Or maybe we'll revive Bill Krauss, or maybe we'll try to likk him and he'll say "Fools, I am immortal!" Or maybe I'm going to make my margins as wide as Mike L.'s now. Or Maybe we can give him a Zither. And personal instructions from Brian Dewan. I just found out that that's "do on" not "do in". PS: PLEASE! I NEED SOME GRAVEL PIT BOOTLEGS!!!!! Rob Grabill. "Stuck his hand in a snowblower and... ouch." "Lose any fingers?" "Nope, got 'em right here" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706070253.VAA28633@csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 21:54:48 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Clarissa / People Mag Pic on the Web Hi all, I was stuck at my friend Alissa's house. It's her house, so we watch what she wants to watch. She flips to Nick, and Clarissa Explains it All is beginning. *ick* I say. But then I remember that Clarissa is down with the Johns. So this might be cool, right? I think to look for the posters if she goes into her room. But then she starts talking. About stuff she likes. I think it must be the first episode, but she won't possibly mention They. Then, "And I like John and John (She may have said said "Of They Might Be Giants", I'm really not sure, I may have been yelling.) These little animated Johns popped up on the left of the screen and started dancing and then the beginning of Ana Ng played. I was just about shocked. Anyway, that was cool, and I haven't seen other posts telling of this. KdsInThHal (Sarah, for you knowing types) mailed me the People Mag pic, and it can now be found at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/tpeople.html if you're so inclined. It's very cool. It may add to the Linnell is an immortal bit, cause he looks quite mysterious in it. Also, you bootleg traders out there, go to http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/boot.html to see my nearly complete and rather small tapelist. Later All, Dylan "Wanting to see the dancing Johns again" Flipse -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:45:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970606224545_1325233054@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: your own worst enemy Her name would be Jocasta.. not to be confused with that semi-new soda, Josta gotta love AP lit.. Heather In a message dated 6/6/97 8:04:31 PM, you wrote: <> ------------------------------ From: AHapyMutnt@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:59:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970606225922_-463402973@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Non.. Oedipus This is one of my favorite poems.. if you've read Oedipus, you'll understand. Myth by Muriel Rukeyser Long afterward, Oedipus, old and blinded, walked the roads. He smelled a familiar smell. It was the Sphinx. Oedipus said," I want to ask one question. Why didn't I recognize my mother?" " You gave the wrong answer", said the Sphinx. "But that was what made everything possible", said Oedipus. "No", she said. "When I asked, What walks on four legs in the morning, two at noon, and three in the evening, you answered, Man You didn't say anything about woman." "When you say Man", said Oedipus, "you include women too. Everyone knows that." She said," That's what you think." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970606201512.00712ea4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 20:15:23 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: B'Day card At 05:12 PM 6/6/97 -0700, you wrote: >Okay, here's the deal. Everyone's gotta give ME their net handle and e-mail address who >wants to be a part of this. Hey, cool idea! Count me in-- Nicole the Wonder Nerd, ana.ng@tmbg.org (or nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu) > We're all on an Internet e-mail list and worship the ground the Johns >(Graham and Dan too) walk on and the coffee cups they drink from. Uhum. If you write this, there's a good chance Linnell will run away screaming. I read the Internet Underground interview; he appreciates that we're supportive of TMBG but thinks that we need to get out more. :) Perhaps you could leave out the worshipping bit? This would mean very, >very much to us if this card got through to John Linnell on or before his birthday, June >13. It's June *12*. And you'd better get crackin'. > KdsInThHal (Sarah, for you knowing types) mailed me the People Mag >pic, and it can now be found at >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/tpeople.html if you're so inclined. >It's very cool. It may add to the Linnell is an immortal bit, cause he looks >quite mysterious in it. I liked the fact that Flans looks like the demented one, for once. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 01:05:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970607010459_1224643060@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: storm NY in some kind of pinkness Hey....if we were to send Linnell a card or cake or new broom since I heard that his former broom left him, to what address would we send it? Info Club address? Or do any of you swell people have Their actuall addresses (yeah right). Thanx AnnA or SUZZIE5808 "Now you're the only one here who can tell me if it's true That you love me and I love me"--TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3398EEA2.1E9C@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 22:16:18 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: B'Day 2 Great! I've already got 15 or so names and e-mail addresses in the past 4 hours or so... what an awesome turnout... Okay, here's a revised version of The Letter. Also, in reply to Sneepy's comment; would it work for John to get three different cards if all of the publishers sent 'em through? And would it also work to get three identical birthday cards? "Dear ______, I'm sending this card on behalf of many, many loving They Might Be Giants fans all around the world. We're all on an Internet e-mail list and are near fanatical fans. Just say we like 'em a lot. This would mean very, very much to us if this card got through to John Linnell on or before his birthday, June 12. Heck, it would even be fine after his birthday too. We'd just like to help him celebrate. Since none of us have any of TMBG's snail mail addresses (or e-mail, for that matter), we're sending it to you. Please please please don't let us down. Yours Truly, Vladimir Drakul A Loyal Listie" Oh yes; here's a list of the ppl whose messages I've received. If you wanna be involved with this, send me an e-mail before Monday. Phil Vogel Doug Haas D. Robertson Lani Brownie Lawrence P. Solomon Sneepy Matt James Dylan Flipse Tom Hare Wonder Nerd Evan Chakroff Kevin McGuire Michelle If anyone sent a message and I didn't get it, SEND IT AGAIN! We want lotsa ppl involved in this! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-157 ******************************