Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-159 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 159 Monday, 9 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: you wouldn't believe how exciting this is! TMBG: Theme From Flood Interp TMBG: NON-TMBG Star Wars TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-158 TMBG: Hello '96 TMBG: My Soon To Be Released TMBG Comic Book... (same time as SF, I suppose..) Re: TMBG: singles, dreams, questions and things. Re: TMBG: New CDs? Re: TMBG: New CDs? Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG Star Wars TMBG: TMBG-type experience TMBG: They haters TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama TMBG: I've missed you all! TMBG: lets go back in time Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Re: TMBG: lets go back in time Re: TMBG: lets go back in time Re: TMBG: singles, dreams, questions and things. TMBG: See The Constellation/Stompbox TMBG: re:let's go back in time TMBG: Message Board TMBG: Pete and Pete Re: TMBG: singles, dreams, questions and things. Re: TMBG: Pete and Pete TMBG: I want to see no more of this! TMBG: Linnell Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Re: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stumpbox TMBG: Influence TMBG-O-Rama or whatever Re: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stumpbox/influence TMBG: CON AIR Re: TMBG: CON AIR Re: TMBG: CON AIR Re: TMBG: They haters Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Re: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stompbox TMBG: Look at me, I'm joining the conversation! Re: TMBG: re:let's go back in time TMBG: They haters/TMBG influence Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 09:48:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608094804_1492814458@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: you wouldn't believe how exciting this is! In a message dated 97-06-07 20:19:45 EDT, ana_ng@rocketmail.com (Anastasia Hunt) writes: << > and Flans is the love child of > Elvis and Kathie Lee Gifford, I knew that. Joel and I are also elvis/kathie lee spawn. We're Flans' sibs. >> So that makes us (Anastasia and me) Michael Jackson's ex-brother/sister-inlaw? Scary! That must be where Flans gets the musical talent! (I take that back. I'm sorry) Joel "I'm not a girl but I play one on TV" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:09:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608110916_337973418@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Theme From Flood Interp When I would go through the tmbg.org lyric index, I would see TFF all alone without a midi, without guitar chords, and without an interpretation. I felt TMBG wouldn't write a song without meaning, even if it appears to be an advertisement. I find TFF to be a small retelling of the Deluge (Great Flood) from the Bible. This is what I found. Why is the world in love again? The world had just been destroyed due to corruption and now the people realize they must be more peaceful. ~~ Why are we marching hand in hand? We now care and are united to uphold the world ~~ Why are the ocean levels rising up? The key that makes me believe it's about the Great Flood. Notice LEVELS not LEVEL. This implies that all the oceans are rising, as in the Great Flood. ~~ It's brand new record for 1990. They Might be Giants' brand new album: Flood As far as I see, pure advertisement ~~ Joel "Into each life a little water must fall, but this is ridiculous" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:33:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608113346_217763691@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG Star Wars I know this isn't TMBG related, but it is big news: Ewan McGreror (Trainspotting) is going to be Obi-Wan in the new Star Wars movies. Natalie Portman (Professional) will be Luke's mom Liam Neeson will be a jedi master 8 yr old Jake Lloyd (from Jingle All the Way) will be Darth Vader Samuel L Jackson will be in it as a mystery man Harry Connick Jr will be a jedi knight and the great Sir Alec Guinness may be the narrator Well thats all I can think of to say. Bye TmbgManiac www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706081704.NAA14322@thor.infi-pos.com> From: "Carrie Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-158 Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 13:03:16 -0400 Hey all! This is my first time posting to the list. I just wanted to say that I read the people review and I think that they could have written a little bit more about Them. I was surprised to see that They were chosen to be pictured. I had no problem with it, just surprising. Carrie Hoffmann * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- "I'm crazy, but I get the job done!" - Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339AE98E.799F@swbell.net> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:19:10 -0500 From: the Beer Baron Organization: the Yentl Fan Club Subject: TMBG: Hello '96 If anyone has any idea why the Gordon Gano cd was NOT included, as promised, in the Hello '96 collection, please email me privately. josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706081705.MAA04097@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: My Soon To Be Released TMBG Comic Book... (same time as SF, I suppose..) Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 12:55:46 -0500 Having not peered into the TMBG NG in a while, I popped in last night and discovered that some people are listing off 'characters' from TMBG songs.. I'd like to point out that whenever I get my Comic Book done, that some of the characters in my book are obviously going to be on that list, and my works are far separated from whatever the newsgroupies are up to. Mike "I'll work faster, damn it all!" Leffel Cartoonist Lord of the Procrastinators of the world. ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:15:48 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: singles, dreams, questions and things. Message-ID: <19970608191611.AAA24189@default> > [2] Is that ghostly sound in JKP a saw (like a wood cutting thing) being > played with a violin bow? I believe so. My father, the expert on such things, claims that's how its done and says he's seen other groups do something like it. But he thinks the Giants bite, so he's probably wrong. Eric, sending from his father's e-mail address too bad he doesn't know how to use it.... or he'd get mad.... ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:15:48 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? Message-ID: <19970608191611.AAC24189@default> > >Oh, and another girl in my homeroom that has 'Lincoln' and I were talking > >about Them; and she said that They are IN the Power Rangers movie - no, not > >just SenSurround, actually *Them*! I guess they were touring the set and by > >accident were in the background, and this is news to me! :) Is this common > >knowledge, or do I have to go and rent the damn movie? :) > > I hadn't heard this rumor. If it's true, it's a darn juicy piece of news, > tho... > Anyone brave enough to rent the movie and watch it? I know *I'm* not. :) I watched that movie during one of those free previews of the premium cable channels about 6 months ago. Unfortunatly, I didn't see John or John during any of that God-forsaken movie. I took a lot of flak from my parents and sister for watching that movie just for John and John, but I guess it was worth it. Eric ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:32:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: New CDs? Message-ID: Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again... I LIKE that movie. So, I OWN that movie. So, I'll watch it and let you know if the gods are in it, ok? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Wilson Dorward wrote: > > >Oh, and another girl in my homeroom that has 'Lincoln' and I were talking > > >about Them; and she said that They are IN the Power Rangers movie - no, not > > >just SenSurround, actually *Them*! I guess they were touring the set and by > > >accident were in the background, and this is news to me! :) Is this common > > >knowledge, or do I have to go and rent the damn movie? :) > > > > I hadn't heard this rumor. If it's true, it's a darn juicy piece of news, > > tho... > > Anyone brave enough to rent the movie and watch it? I know *I'm* not. :) > > I watched that movie during one of those free previews of the premium > cable channels about 6 months ago. Unfortunatly, I didn't see John > or John during any of that God-forsaken movie. I took a lot of flak > from my parents and sister for watching that movie just for John and > John, but I guess it was worth it. Eric > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339B0B1A.6DEA@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:42:18 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG Star Wars > I know this isn't TMBG related, but it is big news: > > Ewan McGreror (Trainspotting) is going to be Obi-Wan in the new Star Wars > movies. > > Natalie Portman (Professional) will be Luke's mom > > Liam Neeson will be a jedi master > > 8 yr old Jake Lloyd (from Jingle All the Way) will be Darth Vader > > Samuel L Jackson will be in it as a mystery man > > Harry Connick Jr will be a jedi knight > > and the great Sir Alec Guinness may be the narrator WHAT?! No John Linnell, Jedi Master?! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money! ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:44:20 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-type experience Message-ID: <19970608194443.AAA26152@default> This is a brief one, but here it is. My father works for a company that owns my internet service provider and they like to try to get customers like any other business. They created a pamphlet with comments from emoployees, and they chose my dad. After calling what I do on the internet a waste of time, he went on to say how I waste my time looking at TMBG stuff. At first I was offended, but maybe John and John would be happy they're selling stuff for my dad. Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339B0EAD.12C6@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:57:33 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: They haters If any of your parents out there say how much they hate TMBG and how much of a waste of time it is, pick something they like and tell them you hate it. Maybe they'll wise up and figure out that you actually LIKE They. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 16:02:09 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Message-ID: You know, I was thinking the other day about what goodness TMBG has brought to my life. I have a small, boring day, and so have a lot of time to think, and thus came up with a small list. Because of TMBG, I: -drink coffee. I used to hate it, but for some reason felt the need to try it again because of their love of it. Now I go not a day without it. -Listen to XTC/Ben Folds Five. The former I had a passing acquaintance with, but would never have gone back to if it weren't for "XTC v. Adam Ant". The latter, I would never have heard of if I hadn't joined the list, which I wouldn't have done, of course, if it weren't for TMBG. -watch Late Night with Conan O'Brien. The first time I watched this show was back in October when They were on. And I loved the whole experience, and it is now one of my favorites, which in turn has also brought a lot of goodness into my life. -Umm... Ok, so my list isn't as long as I thought it would be. But now that I've shared, I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of TMBG- come, share with the group! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970608172515.0069ea70@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 17:25:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama >Ok, so my list isn't as long as I thought it would be. But now that I've >shared, I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of >TMBG- come, share with the group! If not for TMBG: * I'd have several hundred more dollars. ;> * I probably wouldn't listen to any music except "Weird Al". I didn't buy an album by any other artists until I was 15, when I picked up Flood. When I was 17, I joined this list and obsessively bought everything I could. List recommendations turned me on to Barenaked Ladies and Mono Puff, 2 of my other favorite bands. Comparison to TMBG also made me want to pick up Mailbox' free sampler tape and order their full CD. (If you haven't heard of Mailbox, go to http://superpickle.com/mailbox/ now!) * I probably wouldn't have an accordion right now, not that the accordion I have now is particularly wonderful or anything. * I never would've heard the music of Nutra Sweet Pixie Sticks. (Go to http://nsps.base.org) * I couldn't tell you the difference between a Maxell UR and an XLII. ;> * I wouldn't know that Sarah 'Kdsinthhal' seems to be on every newsgroup and mailing list I subscribe to. :> * I wouldn't be on Boba's 'We Might Be Giants Too' project. (Well, technically I'm still not since I haven't submitted the 2 songs I'm workin' on...) - Toddler Hiway and Number Three, if anyone cares. * I wouldn't be subscribed to this list, of course. :> Plain and simple, my life would suck. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 17:44:46 -0400 Subject: TMBG: I've missed you all! Message-ID: <19970608.174505.4782.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Wow, I've been so busy and I've been away from the list for two or three weeks now. It's SO good to be back on! Did anyone notice my unusually low amount of useless posts? Anyway, I've got a job at McDonald's and the only way I keep myself sane is to sing TMBG songs (inside my head or out loud, depends on my mood). The most common songs I think about while working are Puppet Head (go figure), Whistling In The Dark, and Kiss Me Son Of God. In other news, I'm using my musical knowledge to write TMBG songs onto paper so I can hopefully get a band together and perform for a school talent show or something. I have perfect pitch so I can do it without the CD. Right now I'm in the process of Kiss Me Son Of God. I've memorized the melody and harmony vocals for most TMBG songs so it is easy but time consuming. I'm debating wheather to write the full Lincoln version, find an accordian player for the alternate version, or arrange it for the piano. I can sing the melody part and find someone from my a capella choir to sing the high harmony part, probably a first tenor. I'm also going to write out Whistling In The Dark. My voice is actually deep enough to sing that song, which is a cool thing. But I'd still have to find a backup singer, a marching bass drum, and numerous brass players. Does anyone know if I can find the Ben Folds Five song "Boxing" on sheet music? I tried writing that down, but piano music is extremely hard to copy by ear. I would need string players for this song and for Kiss Me Son Of God. I wonder if I could actually sing Boxing and sound good. It's pretty high. Then I could sing Whistling In The Dark right after that! I've found that it's easier to sing low after singing high. Anyone else notice that? If you've actually gotten this far, thank you, you rule! -Evan R.Kleve P.S. No Doubt / Weezer concert in 20 days!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! P.P.S. Jewel concert 9/7/97!! I love her, she is so great. Any other Jewel fans on the list, or do you people hate her as much as you hate No Doubt? P.P.P.S. Any Rugburns fans on this list? I've been to 2 of their concerts. They are a great band. P.P.P.P.S. When TMBG goes back on tour in August (?), are They going to do a huge tour and play at major buildings at first, or are They going to start playing at colleges again? And are They ever going to tour with horns again? :( ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT) From: Keith Erickson Subject: TMBG: lets go back in time Message-Id: Is it just me or were TMBG releasing better stuff before factory showroom. The quantity of good songs started to go down at the release of John henry, not to say that there weren't some great songs on that album (Nyquil driver), but they don't seem to have the same groove that they had between their first album and apollo 18. This message was prompted by the song "pet name" which is too far from the coolness of purple toupee. - *[:) Canada guy. ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:11:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608181120_-729877066@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama >I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of >TMBG- come, share with the group! Hmmm ; / ....let me think - I wouldn't have spent all those hours in record stores looking for TMBG singles - There would be about $200 more bucks in my pocket - I wouldn't be searching every talk show web site looking for a TMBG appearance - I probally would have a different screen name - I probally wouldn't have my own web page (www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824, incase you were interested) - I wouldn't be a member of this mailing list - I would be spending my Wendesdays at Cowtown (AOL Private Room) - I would probally listen to other bands, but I don't know what band would get my ex-TMBG focus, and because of my friend's influences I would probally listen to a lot more ska. - My best friend and I wouldn't be as close - There would be almost 200 MB more in my computer's hard drive that I use now for songs, sound clips, pictures, and articles. - And finally I wouldn't be writing this letter ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:15:59 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: lets go back in time Message-ID: <19970608.181559.14574.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT) Keith Erickson writes: > > Is it just me or were TMBG releasing better stuff before >factory showroom. The quantity of good songs started to go down at >the >release of John henry, not to say that there weren't some great songs >on >that album (Nyquil driver), but they don't seem to have the same >groove >that they had between their first album and apollo 18. This message >was >prompted by the song "pet name" which is too far from the coolness of >purple toupee. > - *[:) Canada guy. > Well, what I'm saying here is basically a repeat of some previous threads, but TMBG likes to do different things. They don't want six albums that sound the same. Personally, I don't see how you can say anything negative about John Henry. That is the one of two albums that didn't take time to grow on me (the other was Apollo 18). It was love from the first listen. Factory Showroom does take a while, and yes it is very different. But Pet Name has so much feeling. The last refrain where all the tension is released always gives me chills. Till My Head Falls Off is just plain awesome. And How Can I Sing Like A Girl and New York City have great guitar solos. It's a great record. I don't know about any of you, but I have no idea of what to expect in Their next album! -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:35:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608183539_-1363443661@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: lets go back in time >Is it just me or were TMBG releasing better stuff before >factory showroom. The quantity of good songs started to go down at the >release of John henry Yes I would agree that TMBG's sound has changed since John Henry. But that's just because of the replacment of the drum machine and syths with a real live band. The songs are still witty and original and I still enjoy listening to them as much as I always have. The change in sound isn't going to ruin them. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706082237.SAA06278@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 18:31:28 +0000 From: Phil Vogel Subject: Re: TMBG: singles, dreams, questions and things. At 03:15 PM 6/8/97 +0000, you wrote: >> [2] Is that ghostly sound in JKP a saw (like a wood cutting thing) being >> played with a violin bow? >I believe so. My father, the expert on such things, claims that's >how its done and says he's seen other groups do something like it. >But he thinks the Giants bite, so he's probably wrong. It is in fact. I don't remember perfectly where I read it, but I think it was in the FAQ... ...so RTFM! :) * ----------------------------------------------------------- Phil Vogel pvogel@postoffice.ptd.net * ----------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970608184340.006979d0@awod.com> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 18:43:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stompbox Sorry if this has been brought up before, but why was See The Constellation on Stompbox? I was under the impression that it was an original song (nothing's mentioned in the liner notes about it being a cover, and the Dial-A-Song version has very different lyrics)... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:48:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608184802_-1061074603@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: re:let's go back in time As far as TMBG changing Their style, I recently listened to my entire TMBG collection in chronological order (Pink album through S-E-X-X-Y single, plus bonus tracks on "Then") and the biggest musical jump I noticed was when they picked up the full band on "John Henry". The difference between JH and FS is there, but it is so much more subtle than the difference between Apollo 18 and JH. Now, I love all the albums, but it confuses me when someone picks out "Factory Showroom" as a point of change for Them. IMO, it seems to be John Henry. Does anyone else have an opinion on this or am I alone here? Nick ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199706082315.TAA08337@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Message Board Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:15:14 -0400 (EDT) The message board has been returned to service on www.tmbg.org. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:16:09 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608191608_-228427737@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Pete and Pete Today in the phone ringing episode, the older Pete was introducing Pete's friends, and one was named "Clem Linnell". Pronounced just like John's (linn-ELL). Hmm.... ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: singles, dreams, questions and things. Message-ID: <19970608.192604.10319.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 19:25:38 EDT Two people said two seperate things... Will they ever realize what they have done? Will they ever meet? Will I ever become the third John? Will I have to change my name if I do??? Any way! on with the quotes! > [2] Is that ghostly sound in JKP a saw (like a wood cutting thing) being > played with a violin bow? >>>I believe so. My father, the expert on such things, claims that's >>>how its done and says he's seen other groups do something like it. >>>But he thinks the Giants bite, so he's probably wrong. Although you may hate me to say it.. You're dad is right.. and though I hate to say this.. I saw it on Home Improvement... (actually I like that show...) There was a lady playing a bonefide saw (Al had her play Greensleeves...) with a bonefide bow on the fake show Tool Time... It was pretty cool... If you want to see this in action just watch Wonderwall video by Oasis... there are a couple shots of two ladies playing the singing saw... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G | AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML)| ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:44:40 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Pete and Pete Message-ID: <19970608.194441.4510.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:16:09 -0400 (EDT) Jordan1c@aol.com writes: >Today in the phone ringing episode, the older Pete was introducing >Pete's >friends, and one was named "Clem Linnell". Pronounced just like John's >(linn-ELL). Hmm.... > Is it linn- ELL or LINN-ell? I always thought it was LINN-ell. That's how I've been pronouncing it for a year. Which one is it, someone please tell me! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 21:08:36 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: I want to see no more of this! Message-Id: Someone put this on the FAQ! li(like lithium)nell(like the movie) There's no realaccent on it. It's kind of smooth. Just listen to someone on either of the video bootlegs say his name! Li-nell. I want this to end it, but I know it won't. Rob Grabill. "Stuck his hand in a snowblower and... ouch." "Lose any fingers?" "Nope, got 'em right here" ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706090124.AA27363@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Linnell Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 21:24:56 -0400 (EDT) > On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:16:09 -0400 (EDT) Jordan1c@aol.com writes: > >Today in the phone ringing episode, the older Pete was introducing > >Pete's > >friends, and one was named "Clem Linnell". Pronounced just like John's > >(linn-ELL). Hmm.... > > > > Is it linn- ELL or LINN-ell? I always thought it was LINN-ell. That's how > I've been pronouncing it for a year. Which one is it, someone please tell > me! I thought this thread was shot to death? It is definitely Lin-ELL, Linnell and Flans have said it that way alon gwith countless others. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970608214114.006ed538@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 21:41:14 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama >>I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of >>TMBG- come, share with the group! Without TMBG Brand Moisture Creame I would have... ... painful sores all over my body. ... no Ben Folds Five albums ... no use for the Internet ... five tons of Mainstream Brand Moisture Creme ... more free time ... 224.76 more dollars [1] ... no will to live ... a bunch of stuff other people already mentioned. that's all I can think of, but you know the rest... -ec [1] ... sick of all these people just giving a rough estimate. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970608222026.006a230c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 22:20:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stumpbox At 06:43 PM 6/8/97 -0400, you wrote: >Sorry if this has been brought up before, but why was See The Constellation >on Stompbox? I was under the impression that it was an original song >(nothing's mentioned in the liner notes about it being a cover, and the >Dial-A-Song version has very different lyrics)... Sorry, that should be Stumpbox. :P TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:28:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608222729_440659145@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Influence TMBG-O-Rama or whatever Here's the list I've compiled: Without TMBG, I would have saved: 1. A little less than $100 on albums 2. $2.69 for this weeks People Mag for the picture and 2 Paragraphs 3. $3.50 for the June issue of Auto mag. for the article 4. $3.50 for the May issue because I got the wrong one 5. Several hours of sleep to watch them on Conan and other shows 6. 6.50 for Russ' Video Bootleg 2 7. $80 for 4 tickets to the 2/21 IP Concert (my only one) 8. 129 MB of HD space of TMBG content (of which I even made drive for) 9. Much space on the AOL server for my TMBG page 10. Much room in my Internet Cache from visiting all those sites 11. Many friends who left me because of my random outbursts of song 12. Space in my brain filled up due to all the songs (+ facts about Polk, Istanbul, etc.) 13.Space on my AOL Buddy List because of TMBG fans there (AOL only gives a limit of 110 people for Buddy Lists) 14. 32cents, envelope, paper for subscription to the Info Club 15.Countless dollars spent on calling Dial-A-Song (Free Call from Brooklyn, yes, but not Long Island) 16. My tape recorder from breaking from making copies of tapes, etc. 17. Printer paper from printing out lyrics, etc.. 18. Cassette tapes used to record TMBG material 19. Space on my hard drive being filled to "TMBG mouse pointer files" 20. Time spent uploading Birdhouse Sheet Music scans to people (don't ask me for a copy) 21. Time by not writing this post 22. Time by not reading countless posts to this list daily There we go. The first 22 things I could think of that TMBG made me lose (and yet I still love em) Joel "87 Pills of Advil on the wall, 87 pills of Advil. 47 were eaten, there's 30 left, 30 Pills of Advil on the wall" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 23:31:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970608232857_-1463945598@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stumpbox/influence << >Sorry if this has been brought up before, but why was See The Constellation >on Stompbox? I was under the impression that it was an original song >(nothing's mentioned in the liner notes about it being a cover, and the >Dial-A-Song version has very different lyrics)... Sorry, that should be Stumpbox. :P >> I don't think this has been mentioned on the list, tho I do think it was discussed on the ng. Or maybe it was the other way around. Anyway, the reason is that "See the Compilation" is stuck between the beginning and end of Their weird combo version of "Pictures of Matchstick Men/Dream." It could've been cut out, but then it wouldn't flow as smoothly. Wow, if not for TMBG, I would've missed out on meeting SO many cool people! Plus I wouldn't have gone to NY, DC, and Atlanta (not to mention Gainesville and St. Petersburgh) just to see 'em. So I guess I'd be _quite_ a bit richer, but a lot less happy ;) Kay Kay ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: CON AIR Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 23:52:28 -0400 Message-Id: <199706090359.3106700@rma.edu> OK! Who has seen Con Air?! Who thinks that the totally crazy dude who gets brought on the plane with a mask on LOOKS AND TALKS like John L?! Maybe its just me...Hmm...I tend to think Linnell would make a good crazy insane villain in a movie... --Tim Clark Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html MiSTie #79297 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 21:08:05 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: CON AIR Message-ID: On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Tim Clark wrote: > OK! Who has seen Con Air?! Who thinks that the totally crazy dude who gets > brought on the plane with a mask on LOOKS AND TALKS like John L?! Maybe > its just me...Hmm...I tend to think Linnell would make a good crazy insane > villain in a movie... > Steve Buscemi??? Noooooo! He's all bug-eyed and funny looking. Not even close to as cool looking as John Linnell. | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: CON AIR Date: Mon, 09 Jun 97 21:29:46 PDT I've seen it, and don't agree, but it does sort of create this weird circle, seeing as the actor in question is Steve Buscemi, who starred in Ed and his Dead Mother, which features TMBG music during the closing credits. Whatever... Michelle ---------- | OK! Who has seen Con Air?! Who thinks that the totally crazy dude who gets | brought on the plane with a mask on LOOKS AND TALKS like John L?! Maybe | its just me...Hmm...I tend to think Linnell would make a good crazy insane | villain in a movie... | | --Tim Clark | Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the | Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring | http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html | MiSTie #79297 | ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:15:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They haters Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Jun-97 TMBG: They haters by vlad_drakul@geocities.co > If any of your parents out there say how much they hate TMBG and how > much of a waste of time it is, pick something they like and tell them > you hate it. Maybe they'll wise up and figure out that you actually > LIKE They. No, because Parents Are Always Right (tm). It sis illegal to argue with one's parents about musical tastes, because if you criticize theirs, you get grounded or something. My mom things TMBG are too weird, but my dad kind of likes them... they bug me every time they hear me playing my keyboard or accordion or guitar or the piano saying "Is TMBG all you ever play?!" (answer: no, I'm not *that* one-sided :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:33:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Jun-97 TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-.. by Queen Sneepy@indiana.edu > Ok, so my list isn't as long as I thought it would be. But now that I've > shared, I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of > TMBG- come, share with the group! if I'd never been introduced to the wonderful music of They Might Be Giants... I'd have almost no cassette tapes... I'd have quite a lot more money, including what I spent on blank tapes, postage to various parts of the world, a tape deck, accordion, amplifier, guitar, MIDI keyboard, mixer, microphone, and other assorted recording equipment... not to mention money spent on long distance calling Dial-a-Song... I would never have heard of cub or Mono Puff... I wouldn't listen to most of the music I do, for the simple reason that I got introduced to most of it by listening to the radio, which I wouldn't have listened to had there not been the chance that they'd play TMBG... I would now absolutely nothing about James K. Polk, James Ensor, or the sun... and I wouldn't know the meaning of falderal... My conversations would be very boring, for lack of appropriate song quotes (there's one for every occasion)... I wouldn't have been able to ease my depression last winter nearly as easily... I would never have met my girlfriend... My inbox would be practically empty... And, most importantly, I'd be one of those people who went around saying "They Might Be Giants? Don't they know yet?" and "They sing that Istanbul song, and the one about Triangle Man, right?" ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:35:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: See The Constellation/Stompbox Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Jun-97 TMBG: See The Constellation.. by Adam Tyner@awod.com > Sorry if this has been brought up before, but why was See The Constellation > on Stompbox? I was under the impression that it was an original song > (nothing's mentioned in the liner notes about it being a cover, and the > Dial-A-Song version has very different lyrics)... probably because it was part of the "Stump the Band" ritual - they'd always play whatever song was requested, and then Constellation... in the case of the one on Stump Box, they continued the Stump the Band song after Constellation, and splitting it would have been wrong... (I'm assuming, anyway) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706090359.WAA12530@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Look at me, I'm joining the conversation! Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 23:49:04 -0500 If it was not for They Might Be Giants... *I couldn't feel comfy at night when the nasties invade my bowels... *I couldn't make margins as damn long or as short as I please.. *I would never have started those blasted AKA''s that I feel guilt about never getting done yet.. *I would never have started to make a TMBG comic book, put it off, and then get worried when I see 'character listings' in the newsgroup.. *And most importantly, I would never have been able to fill my head with enjoyable songs, regardless of their interpretations. Mike "And I probably would have fallen in with the Hanson crowd by now" Leffel ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 01:44:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970609014446_-1161997580@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: re:let's go back in time I agree with you that They started to take a new direction of sorts at Johnn Henry. I must admit that I like their earlier stuff better, but some songs on FS, such as "Till My Head Falls Off", "Spiralling Shape", and "Your Own Worst Enemy" are exceptionally good. SUZZIE5808 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970608224138.00719418@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 22:41:46 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: They haters/TMBG influence At 12:15 AM 6/9/97 -0400, you wrote: >My mom things TMBG are too weird, but my dad kind of likes them... I think my dad secretly likes Them, but won't admit it. My mom hates their weirder stuff (especially Fingertips), but says that she likes The World's Address. (Go fig, huh?) My sister used to categorically hate Them, but recently she's been much more level-headed (to the point of calling them a "decent rock band"!) and I begin to hope for her conversion. >they bug me every time they hear me playing my keyboard or accordion or >guitar or the piano saying "Is TMBG all you ever play?!" >(answer: no, I'm not *that* one-sided :) I get that, too. One of the reasons I try to vary my music mix when I'm at home. > Ok, so my list isn't as long as I thought it would be. But now that I've > shared, I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of > TMBG- come, share with the group! If not for TMBG: * I'd have yet to attend my first rock concert. * I'd be a couple hundred bucks richer (I know, everyone else said it. It's true for me, too). * I'd prolly be a lot more conformist than I am now. * I'd prolly be a lot more closed-minded towards new music than I am now. * I wouldn't be in the market for a bigger cd rack. * I'd never have discovered Moxy Fruvous, Ben Folds Five, Man... or Astroman?, or Barenaked Ladies. * I wouldn't be into the Internet as much. (see, they're helping me in my future career! :) I didn't listen to music much (let alone popular music) before I got into TMBG, and they opened up my eyes to a world of great music. Thanks to them, my own personal world is full of happiness and wonderful songs. And for that, I can't thank them enough. --nicole the wonder nerd --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-159 ******************************