Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 16 Friday, 17 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Columbia House does Them TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: shirt responses & junk Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others TMBG: John vs. John Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and other TMBG: Singles TMBG: James K polk TMBG: RE: tmbg hallucinations... Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project TMBG: ***People from Iowa Please read***** Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Re: TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project TMBG: The Crusaides TMBG: James K. Polk TMBG: the OMLT Goddess is back... Re: TMBG: John vs. John Re: TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Columbia House does Them Message-ID: <19970115.223018.8271.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 02:10:22 EST I keep meaning to cancel my membership to the Columbia House CD club, but I never get around to it. Anyway, they did a special feature on Them, and here it is, word for word: "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" Returning with their signature lyrical high jinks and jubilant "smart pop" hooks, John Linnell and John Flansburgh unveil some new surprises on their 8th LP. Highlights include full string arrangements, the awesome bass playing of Graham Maby (Joe Jackson) and a song recorded on a wax cylinder recorder from 1898! S-e-x-x-y; more. (Elektra) 1996 John Henry - New York twosome display dry wit, eccentric wordplay and crafty arrangements on Snail Shell, Sleeping in the Flowers; more. Apollo 18 - High jinks and pop magic! Flood - Quirky brilliance! I know it's not Their 8th LP, but I promised word for word.... "I'm in the cavern!" - John Linnell Garit1997@aol.com ###### Garit@juno.com http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) Larry ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 03:15:01 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199701160815.DAA21071@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: shirt responses & junk Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 06:55:11 -0600 Message-ID: <19970116125508578.AAA294@ppp179.baraboo.com> FINALLY, i got a response to my shirts, actually, it happened over 2 hdays 9first day - skull shirt, 2nd - world tour 2040) day 1: in ex tech, we were standing around, while people were awing at the 286's, and 2 people look at my shirt, #1: "brainless 'i'm cool' boy" walks up and says... errr.... huh... wyatt might be giants.... hehehehe.... and starts cracking up #2: "extra brainless 'i must be cool cause i have a packers shirt' boy" turns his head sideways, reads for about 30 seconds... mumbles something like.... "what? they might be giants" (might pronounced Mig hit, long g)thats gay. me: you dont even know what it is him : it's gay after being sick of the gratuitous use of the word "gay", wondering how inanimate objects have sexual feelings, i proceed with life DAY 2: first the stupid i am cool kid keeps laughing at the "heheh, wyatt might be giants" and makes a hick grunting "daaarrrrrrrrr" noise that almost sounds like a backwards laugh, then in social studies (civics, boring) after class, with a minute till the bell rings, one kid wearing a kurt cobain shirt (kid1), the other one korn(kid2), stare at the world tour shirt: kid2: hmmm.. there might be giants... dop you know what that is? me: yes, my favorite band... i have all their cds kid1, interuppting: they might be giants (slowly).. oh yeah, theyre cool! kid1 starts singing "welcome to istaNbul" to a massacred istaMbul tune kid2: oh yeah, they do that one birdhouse song... heheh that's funny kid1: and that one person man song or something? that song is _awsome_ (said like his nose was plugged) then the bell tring, sO I HAD NO TIME TO SET THEM STRAIGHT ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE LIKE.. (OOPS, sorry, hit capslock) Wyatt, whos happy, because schools cancelled due to -50 windchill factors.. inspiring me to finish my NYC parady, but nah... i also made a parady of NOKMP about wasting time in study halls, made in a boring study hall, of course.... if anyone wants these, mail me. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DE4F33.7820@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 07:54:27 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Matthew Coon answered: > "Backbone members?" Isn't he the guy who came onto the list about > a year ago and insisted on shouting all of his messages for quite > some time, even though practically everybody else found it incredibly > annoying and asked him repeatedly to stop?? Or am I confusing him > with another Brother XXX? (Apologies, if so!) > > m@t yes "backbone members"... and no... you've got the wrong guy. Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> chimed in with: > I think (although I, too, may be wrong), that you're perhaps thinking of > a Brother John Blackhawk. him too! there was a time... once upon a time a long long time ago there were 3 bears: brother john blackhawk (who by the way did announce he was leaving the list some time back i believe), brother john bejezus, and myself (brother john green jello) > really remember MDM. I myself have been known for starting a few threads and > posting big messages, but I'm not self-aware enough to know whether anyone would > consider me an important member or not. Now that I have the time to post again, > I don't, because I've found I don't make much of an impact anyway. you're an important part of the list too!!! you've been around for a long time... in my humble opinion that makes you "backbone" mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) threw in: > Nahh, I think that was Brother John Blackhawk. > Bejezus is that cute, cuddly little guy, my brother! (or was that son?) > Matt he is cool! thanks for all this imput guys... but it still doesn't answer the question... WHERE are they? your bud, Green Jello Dark Helmet: "You have the ring... and I see your Schwartz is as big as mine" -Space Balls http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701161316.IAA23407@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:17:36 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: John vs. John >Props also to LvJeff for his thoughts on the John-John conundrum. It's hard to >tell the difference between the two voices at first listen as a fan, but over >time, the ability to tell the difference becomes a natural thing. Puzzled? Try the John and John Home Differentiation Kit: one copy of Unsupervised, one copy of State Songs. Listen to their voices where there's no chance of confusion with the other. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Let's get those missiles aimed to destroy the universe!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:33:20 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and other Message-Id: > has anyone else noticed that some of our backbone members haven't posted > in quite a while? What makes a backbone member? I mean, I've been on this list for about 4 years, but I doubt I've influenced your lives very much! Liam "I need Stumpbox now but no one will copy it for me" Singer ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:46:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970116114305_2023021938@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Singles Someone was saying something about they were looking for TMBG singles. Their is this store I know of that has a copy of the istanbul and I believe back to skull. If interested in getting one, E-mail me or something ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: James K polk Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 09:35:00 P Message-Id: <32DE67B6@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> In my US history class, we skipped right over James K. Polk. I was very dissapointed, so I complained to my teacher, and the next day he devoted the entire class to James K. Polk. I was pumped. He had asked me what I knew about him, so I recited the song in my head while blurbing out all of the facts I know about him. He almost let me come in and play it for the class on my guitar, BUT I decided not to. BUt after I gaver him the lyrics, he was very impressed on how smart TMBG was. maybe I've converted him. chow brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg hallucinations... Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 09:35:00 P Message-Id: <32DE67A1@msmail.bham.wednet.edu> Well, while on the subject of dreams about tmbg. Here's mine. this was from a couple months ago. I woke up and wrote it down becuase it ruled. Anyways. in my dream I was in brooklyn with my band and I was carrying around a Sharpie pen so that if I happened to see TMBG I could have them sign something. Well low and behold I saw them. They signed my shirt, pants, and shoes. and we got to talking. I mentioned that I was here with my band, and they were said, "hey what instruments do you play" I listed off the many instruments I play, and they asked me if I wanted to come back to their apartment and jam. blah blah blah, I went to their apartment, we jammed for a long time, then they invited me to play w/ them at their concert that night. So I missed my plane ride home to play w/ them. I told them this, and they said that they would get me a new plane ticket. so any ways, the concert was going on. And they announced me their special guest, and I came out with my bassoon, and played a song. now this is the weird part. I woke up and tried to remember the song with my big bassoon solo. So I tried to write down what I could remember of it. So IF this song from my dreams magically appears on one of their album, then I guess it is a divine revelation from up high, that TMBG is the music of the heavens. You know, like we get up to heaven and we walk in and there's TMBG and every one if grooving out. anyways. That's just my story chow for now Brenden - nednerB AKA - the hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philbuster misuser of verbs ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701161943.OAA14962@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:43:39 -0500 (EST) Ryan Staib writes: > > I think (although I, too, may be wrong), that you're perhaps thinking of > a Brother John Blackhawk. Bejezus and Ruprecht are cool, although I can't say > Yes, you are completely correct. I remember now that there was an outbreak of "Brothers" around that time (kind of like a rash...). Sorry for wrongly impugning Bejesus. m@t ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970116154021.006eb650@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:40:21 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:42:34 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970116144923_946314760@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: ***People from Iowa Please read***** If someone knows if the Iowa college radio station KICB has an E-mail adress please send it to me. I need to get it touch with one of the DJ's and every time I call I get and answering machine. thanks David ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970116162722.006c2188@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:27:24 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Ryan Staib wrote: >really remember MDM. I myself have been known for starting a few threads and >posting big messages, but I'm not self-aware enough to know whether anyone would >consider me an important member or not. Now that I have the time to post again, I'd consider you an imortant member, because I recognised your name. Am I an important memeber? Actually, I really don't care, so nevermind -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org This Statement Is False ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970116162702.006c0768@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:27:11 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:58:50 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Ryan Staib wrote: > >really remember MDM. I myself have been known for starting a few threads and > >posting big messages, but I'm not self-aware enough to know whether anyone > would > >consider me an important member or not. Now that I have the time to post > again, > > I'd consider you an imortant member, because I recognised your name. Am I > an important memeber? Actually, I really don't care, so nevermind Am I an important member? Does being universially hated (me, rup, myke, et. al) disqualify you? Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg "When they look back and weigh everything he's done, they will realize: Nixon's the one Nixon's the one Nixon's the one"--J. C. Flansburgh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970116173445.006be7d4@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:34:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Brother John Bejezus, MDM, ruprecht, and others >Am I an important member? Does being universially hated (me, rup, myke, >et. al) disqualify you? > >Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver I don't think any of those people were (are) universially hated. The list (around the time FS came out) needed people who weren't just gonna say they loved it because it was They Might Be Giants. I'd say hell, yeah, you're an important list member. Though you don't post as often as some people, what you say when you do makes a whole lot more sense that most people (and yes, I'm using myself as an example of someone who posts too much, and not always on topic). The same goes for ruprecht and myke when they were here. People on the list needed to respect other peoples opinions, even if they disagreed with them. And it's not so bad now, except for the surge of newbies around xmas (no offense to new people). All the above is MHO. so , I guess. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Common sense is what tells you the Earth is flat. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32DEBC3A.3772@wwnet.com> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 18:39:38 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project Jeff Roberts wrote: > > Okay all you TMBG nuts, I need your help. For my college Theatre > Lighting course I have to do a thre minute presentation where I play > music and I have to light an object. Jeff, Use an electric guitar on a guitar stand. As your theme music, play "The Guitar" from A18. There are quiet sections "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and loud sections "Hey! Who's that playing..." which you can highlight using different amounts of the main spotlight. Plus there are many times where instruments come in and out (Bassline, trumpet, cowbell, drums, and guitar.) Assign a different colored light to each instrument and coordinate their arrivals and depatures with the lights. You can also use a light for the John vocals, punctuating the phrases "Hey!" and "Turn it up!" in sync. That song might go over three minutes, but a tasteful fade out should work, or put it on tape, carefully cutting out a verse or something. Good luck with your project! Dwayne one of these days i'll make a .sig file ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: The Crusaides Message-ID: <19970116.180011.6398.3.istanbul@juno.com> From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 18:56:54 EST Today in history we were watching a special about the Crusaides with Terry Jones (from Monty Python), and they used the old (non-tmbg) Istanbul song. It sounds really, really cool, with all sorts of singing and stuff. The show is pretty good, too. Umm... That's all... +++ Here comes Justin W. Smith's signature +++ General E-mail: jsmith@e-tex.com TMBG stuff: istanbul@juno.com +++ I hope you enjoyed the show! +++ ------------------------------ From: bartush@calweb.com Message-ID: <32DEDC96.2B56@calweb.com> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:57:42 -0800 Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk Brett Ballantini wrote: > Props to Kilroy for pointing out that James K., while by no means a do-nothing > President, was not a good one. In his time, he might have been heralded for > adding more land to the U.S. than any president since Jefferson, but he > doesn't age well. In Their words, "Personally, we find his expansionist > policies ruthless and unscrupulous..." It's a cute song and a fun history > lesson--for whatever reason, James K. Polk is becoming a small part of pop > culture--but it's more of an inside joke than any "belated credit" due a Great > President. I saw a book at Tower Records recently listing all of the historical figures who were likely to go to Hell because of their Earthly deeds. Sure enough, James K. Polk was included because of his ruthless expansionist policies while he was president. > More trivia about the Polksters: while First Lady, Sarah Polk banned dancing > in the White House. She is also responsible for introducing the custom of Alcohol was also banned...the President and First Lady were both tea-totallers. Matt in Sacramento ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:52:00 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970116215159_1758460283@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: the OMLT Goddess is back... ...be afraid. Thanks to another AOL f%ck-up, it's been awhile since I could get or send e-mail. So I'm extending the shirt deadline to Friday night. And *that's it!!!* I wanna get a price this weekend. For those who have been living in their caves for the past month, I am Supreme OMLT Dictator and I demand sacrifice! Shirt orders, that is. If you have any interest in getting a TMBG list shirt, e-mail me and say so, gosh durn it. This is not a final order, just a survey of interest. If you mail me, please DO NOT include the following questions, which I am allowing my shoes to answer, because I am sick of answering them: "What does the design look like?" Left: Currently, there isn't one. Talk to Mr. Evan Chakroff, the other half of the OMLT Oligarchy, if you are interested in submitting one. He will post designs on his web site for voting. "What should be in a design that I create?" Right: Anything you want. The shirt can have a front and a back and any number of colors, although lots of colors will mean lots of money. Left: Don't worry about colors right now. Just make a design. If it wins, the Goddess and Evan will help make the design camera-ready for the company. Right: It might be good to include any or all of the following information on the shirt: the list's mailing address (whichever one has been decided on... we shoes don't do much posting, so we don't know if it's the majordomo one, or just tmbg-list@tmbg.org, or what), the web page address, the sloagan "The World's Address," an amazingly artistic picture. Left: Designs can be hand-drawn, made by computer, whatever. Got a design? Talk to Evan and he'll tell you what what you can do with it. Right: ...And no, not that. "How many dollars will I need to part with for a shirt?" Right: Ten! Left: A million! (simultaneously) Right: Heh heh. Actually, it's somewhere between the two. The OMLT Goddess will find out the exact price this weekend, using the ballpark number of shirts she gets from the preliminary survey. Bulk is cheap, so keep those orders coming in, kiddies. Right now, the count is up to around 65 shirts. "Will you marry me?" Left: Quite frankly, the OMTL Goddess is holding out for someone who looks a little more like John Linnell, but *I'm* available... Right: (I think I've been dissed.) OK, enough of that. I'm off to study for my semester exams now. Send those shirt orders by Friday night! --Christy ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:14:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970116215856_879270797@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: John vs. John In a message dated 97-01-16 08:22:53 EST, mrhorrible@foo.org (Mr. Horrible) writes: << Listen to their voices where there's no chance of confusion with the other. * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Let's get those missiles aimed to destroy the universe!" >> Let me guess...For Science was Flansburgh??? ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: Theatre Lighting Project Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 00:13:44 -0500 Message-Id: <199701170512.4218300@rma.edu> > > Okay all you TMBG nuts, I need your help. For my college > Theatre Lighting course I have to do a thre minute presentation where I > play music and I have to light an object. > > > I was thinking of doing a TMBG song but I cant think of a good > one that would lend itself to an object and that I could do some nifty > lighting tricks and effects for. So I'm asking for y'alls help. Go wild. > Go crazy. Give me some ideas here. Birdhouse!! But i idont know what you'd light. OR you can do James K. Polk and have a statue or pictuyre or something and do some cool stuff...or you could do lie still little bottle...cause then all you'd need is a wine bottle...OR you could do fingertips if you are REALLY good and show how differnt lighting works for differnt kinds of music...OR you could do ummm....I dunno... --Cpdog ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-16 *****************************