Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-162 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 162 Thursday, 12 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Non-tmbg: Ben Folds Five on Late Nite TMBG: B'day card.. TMBG: Schoolchildren/Ana Ng combo TMBG: non tmbg: Who's dead? Re: TMBG: B-Day TMBG: Eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil.. Re: TMBG: How TMBG has influenced my life TMBG: More food for thought! NON-TMBG:BNL Re: TMBG: B-Day Re: TMBG: How TMBG has influenced my life TMBG: and Matt's Life Savings scaaared meeeee TMBG: I Have Learnt the Value of Human Sacrifice Re: TMBG: and Matt's Life Savings scaaared meeeee TMBG: Stuff Re: TMBG: Eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil... TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: I've never had the priviage of meeting someone of Re: TMBG: I've never had the priviage of meeting someone of TMBG: Good threads TMBG: Vlad aint bad TMBG: Good threads TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad TMBG: I'm not done talking yet. Re: TMBG: Good threads TMBG: threads Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Re: TMBG: B-Day TMBG: Hansen Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: I'm not done talking yet. Re: TMBG: More food for thought! Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad TMBG: Fandom, STP, SO's, and thoughts... TMBG: OMLT repeat Re: TMBG: Fandom, STP, SO's, and thoughts... TMBG: fake sanity TMBG: Different music TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Re: TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: Different music TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: Different music TMBG: Gong Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199706110634.CAA11617@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 11 Jun 1997 01:35:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: Non-tmbg: Ben Folds Five on Late Nite Did anyone else see Ben Folds Five on Conan tonite? Just wondering. I've never seen them perform before. I must now make every attempt to get to the HORDE tour to see them (and SNZ and several others). Anyone know the closest venue to north-west Illinois it'll come? "I've got this great idea. Why don't we pitch it to the Franklin gosh-darn Mint?" -Ben Folds Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 03:10:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: B'day card.. Message-ID: >>Okay, I got kinda a cute card... it's got a baby on the front with his >>butt hanging out... and you open it up and it says, "This year... no >>cracks about your age." >>So I took a Sharpie and wrote "Flans" with an arrow pointing to the >>baby... >Seriously, though, Vlad, why the potty humor? I mean, I think it's >really cool that you're doing this, and John forbid you pick one of those >sappy smarmy cards, but there are plenty of cards that are funny without >being gross. >*sigh* I feel like an old fogey... :) >--nicole the wonder nerd Don't feel bad, Nicole, I do too. I also think it's mega cool that Vlad's doing this, but I have reservations about the card picked. Oh well. He's probably going to think we're all nuts anyway.. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970611042552.006d7540@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:25:57 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Schoolchildren/Ana Ng combo I never heard Lincoln before Then (my collection/mania started with Flood and proceeded chronologically... hope this doesn't make me a newbie floodie :) ), but having come as close to physically wearing out a CD as is possible playing Then disc two, it's become my favorite album. Anyway, my point is this: Sure, Ana Ng is a great song, but when you listen to all the b-side/unreleased tracks and let the CD skip around to Ana Ng, it's amazing how clean and masterfully put together it is... Anyone else catch this? Oh yeah, and I had a question about what Flans was singing backup in one song - he normally follows Linnell but at one point he's saying something really different and kinda incomprehensible, but at the moment (it's 4:30am) I forget which song :) As soon as I can remember I'll repost. - Jim Stein "It's not the heat, it's the stupidity" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F3927.225E@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:47:51 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: non tmbg: Who's dead? <> I quick rummage through the "silly" section or my bookmarks later, The dead people server; http://www.city-net.com/~lmann/dps/ Funny and sick. Oh, he is alive, still.. At school we have a lottery with famous people and if yours dies you win. Sick huh? Tom. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706111255.AA29178@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: B-Day Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:55:43 -0400 (EDT) > > Whats the card? Im sure us people who put our names on it would like t= > o > > know. Its not entirely blank is it? Its got at least a picture right? > >=20 > > The ever curious- > > Kevin McGuire > > Okay, I got kinda a cute card... it's got a baby on the front with his bu= > tt hanging=20 > out... and you open it up and it says, "This year... no cracks about your= > age." > So I took a Sharpie and wrote "Flans" with an arrow pointing to the baby.= > .. > > Then on the inside I wrote a little letter on who we are, etc. etc... the= > n I put=20 > everyone's name and e-mail address. > > Then on the back, I broke down a little and put, "Err, did I write _all_ = > those e-mail=20 > addresses for nothing? I hope not! Please reply! We're not Immortals w= > ho want to hack=20 > off your head! (Don't ask... it's a long story)" Not to disrupt the works here, but I think he might (no he *will*) get scared by the please reply and the Immortals part. I mean, we should probably just be humble and say "Happy birthday, hope it's a great one! From the TMBG Internet mailing list." Wouldn't that be better? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706111301.AA29188@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil.. Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:01:30 -0400 (EDT) > >I might conceivably have a girlfriend > > Um, am I the only person who finds it somewhat disturbing that so many > people seem to have given up the opportunity to nab a spouse for a pop band? > I mean, I wouldn't have a girlfriend even if I *didn't* listen to TMBG. :) Well, I hope for your spouse's sake you don't have a girlfriend! ;) /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:02:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: How TMBG has influenced my life Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: How TMBG has infl.. by "Michelle"@wolfenet.com > And I have a REALLY tough time believing all of you people would be all > that money richer.... not to say that I haven't made a healthy investment > in TMBG over the past 9 years, but had the $$$ not gone to them they would had I not been introduced to TMBG, I would not have learned how to play the accordion, and, therefore, not bought a brand new one last November. New accordions aren't cheap. I would not have bought the recording equipment I did (mixer, mic, tape deck, etc), because I would just not have been as interested in music. I probably would also not have bought my MIDI keyboard - or at least not as nice a keyboard... I have all the albums, plus 3 singles, Then, and 55 bootlegs... plus huge amounts of postage involved in bootleg trading, and the tape carriers I needed to get to store all the tapes. I started listening to the radio in the hopes of hearing TMBG, and instead of hearing TMBG, heard a lot of other groups that I now like, and then, of course, went and bought their CDs (through BMG for less, but it's still money) I have been to 5 concerts, 3 of which cost $20+ticketmaster, the other two of which cost about $20 combined. I have 3 t-shirts, at $20 each. not to mention the $6 I spent to see cub in Pittsburgh, and $9 to see Mono Puff at the 9:30 club... plus parking at the 9:30 club, which costs $5 each time, for a total of $15, and gas spent getting there... I also lost $4.50 when I bought a ticket to the concert last September in Albany and then my ride backed out and I couldn't go. I've probably spent even more than that, but I can't remember.... I've probably spent close to $5000 as a result of becoming a TMBG fan (of course, I can also play the accordion now and *do* play other things on it, and same for my electronic keyboard and stuff, so it's not directly TMBGness there...) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706111306.AA29196@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: More food for thought! Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:06:49 -0400 (EDT) > Ahoy > > So I'm thinkin. (No snide comments, please. :) > Isn't it true that someone on this list posted, a few months back, a story > about hearing Number 3 live, and hearing Flans and Linnell introduce it by > saying that they left out the President's name so that the song wouldn't > date as fast? (Or something.) Didn't Linnell further go on to say, tongue > in cheek, that the song had been written during the Wilson administration? > Wouldn't this be irrefutable proof that he is an Immortal? Or am I making > this story up? I was at this show, hmm which one was that, perhaps in NYC? I can't remember but I'm pretty sure that he did say Wilson. But anyway, on the Who Sings What List it says that both Flans & Linnell sing the song so we don't know who wrote it, unless someone knows for sure? So either A) They're both immortals B) Linnell's gettin' senile /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: NON-TMBG:BNL Message-ID: <19970611.093245.4935.1.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:39:24 EDT Just now I was watching VH1 (3rd time ever) and I saw that Bare Naked ladies will be on Hard Rock.... something. Whatever its called it airs this Sunday at 8 o'clock! Don't be frightened by Cindi Lauper she'll Be on there first!!! * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SuperFly I can't be hypnotized, and I tell my hypnotist that, whenever I go over to wash his car, which is every Wednsday. --Jack Handey * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: B-Day Message-ID: <19970611.093711.4935.2.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:43:38 EDT On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:08:30 -0700 vlad_drakul writes: >> Whats the card? Im sure us people who put our names on it would >like to >> know. Its not entirely blank is it? Its got at least a picture >right? >> >> The ever curious- >> Kevin McGuire > >Okay, I got kinda a cute card... it's got a baby on the front with his >butt hanging >out... and you open it up and it says, "This year... no cracks about >your age." >So I took a Sharpie and wrote "Flans" with an arrow pointing to the >baby... > >Then on the inside I wrote a little letter on who we are, etc. etc... >then I put >everyone's name and e-mail address. > >Then on the back, I broke down a little and put, "Err, did I write >_all_ those e-mail >addresses for nothing? I hope not! Please reply! We're not >Immortals who want to hack >off your head! (Don't ask... it's a long story)" > >Then I called Elektra, and they had NO clue on whether they would send >it to They. >So I called Restless, and they said they COULD and WOULD send the card >to John. Yay! > >-- >Vladimir Drakul -- >http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ >******************************************************************* >George Carlin on religion: > >"...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything >and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this >little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES >you, and he _needs_ money!" > >oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo >This message will self-destruct in five seconds. >oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo > What was the final list of people on the B-Day card? * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SuperFly I can't be hypnotized, and I tell my hypnotist that, whenever I go over to wash his car which is every Wednsday. --Jack Handey * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339EC590.2258@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:34:41 -0400 From: Eric Near Subject: Re: TMBG: How TMBG has influenced my life If not for TMBG, -I wouldn't be on this list -I wouldn't know the titles of any Alice Cooper albums & songs -I wouldn't appreciate Belgian art as much -I wouldn't listen to Adam Ant -I wouldn't have bought that tape case for my TMBG albums -I wouldn't be sure who bought the Oregon territory, let alone what it was. -and many more, I can't think of. -Eric ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:45:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970611124418_-1396549570@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: and Matt's Life Savings scaaared meeeee 'Scuse me if I'm reiterating on anything.. I'm pretty much skimming thru here.. > What's TMBG?!? > > Mike "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?" Leffel Shouldn't that be "Teenage Mutant Binja Gurdles?" ;) But what's a 'binja'? :D >>anyone brave enough to rent the movie and watch >it? > >SenSurround is played for about three seconds >out of some guy's car radio as he pulls into his >driveway. No nono, I meant, besides the song, _John and John_ are in it (so I heard). >Okay, here's the deal. Everyone's gotta give ME >their net handle and e-mail address who wants to >be a part of this. I'm gonna go get a cool >little card from the store and send it to >Restless with the following note attached: >DAMNIT!!!!!! I sure picked a fine time to be >away from the list for a few weeks! I wish my >name/address had gotten on the card. This sucks >very much bad. I'm with ya Evan K. (who would have thought there would be 2 Evans on this list? ) What can *we* send him? ;) >I would say that fairly obviously the long LINY CD What. They couldn't stick another "n" in "LINY". I find that just plain wrong. > and all you people sucked 'cuz you didn't listen to The >Cardigans ... Oh, but I do, Vlad. :) >"You must be Anastasia. John has told me so much >about you. So, do you like Barenaked Ladies?"He >said. I must interject here. :) You just reminded me of something I completely forgot! :D At the concert when I met Brian and Graham, my little 7-year-old sister was telling them how it was her 2nd concert and thay asked what was the first, and she said "Barenaked Ladies!" and I think Graham said "Oh! They're great!" Or something to that effect. :) Without TMBG, I would have: * more friends at school * a half-empty tape shelf (don't GET me started on pessimism!;) * to be leading an "mainstream average chick-of-a-bitch walking around listening to Spice Girls and Marilyn Hanson" life * more $, duhhh.. * a terribly sucky life * a bigger BNL obsession * been eating lunch now rather than typing this ..and I *wouldn't* have: * added "Linnell" to an "I John" that was written on my Global Studies desk * drawn that drum dude from the "Istanbul" video on said desk * that wonderful yellow suit-johns poster on my wall to greet me every morning * an accordian obsession * a decent cd collection * vital facts on the sun, mammals, and James K. Polk * stood for hours in western/upstate-NY december weather just to be in the front row at a concert on my friend's birthday * a kick arse 2040 shirt * been wearing my 2040 shirt today * gotten into XTC! * you guys as friends! :~} And... I have been on the list for a year now! Yaaaay! :) So, what does that mean? Am I still a newbie or am I an oldie or am I a middlie?:) sarah "Prying Doherty from the vault with the cast of You can't Do That on Television and that Rico Suave guy" newhouse;) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:27:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: I Have Learnt the Value of Human Sacrifice Ok, for some reason, I don't know, or can't remember, the origin of this seemingly legendary song. I've seen it in people's sigs, referenced in list and newsgroup posts, and They just started playing it in concert recently. But I know it's not on Power of D-A-S, or any early demos (that I know of), although I've somehow known of it for as long as I've been an obsessed fan... and I don't know why. where does it come from? or am I going insane? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970611141404.00808a10@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:14:04 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: and Matt's Life Savings scaaared meeeee >Without TMBG, I would have: >* to be leading an "mainstream average chick-of-a-bitch walking around >listening to Spice Girls and Marilyn Hanson" life Marilyn Hanson... now theres an interesting thought... mmm bop hehe -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970611162340.0029f400@email.uc.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:24:45 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Stuff Okay, well I pulled an all-night study session with a few friends (finals) and was happy to slip TMBG into the CD player. Needless to say, it was a success, and I even found out that one of the people on my floor owns her very own copy of Apollo 18 and was singing along. But, anyways, I have yet to sleep in the last 33 hours and I'm not a bit tired (caffeine). Also, in non-related type things, does anyone know where I might find a wav or midi file of a gong? Heather Garver University of Cincinnati garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey Headquarters) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:33:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil, eeeee-vil... Message-ID: <19970611.164453.15246.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) >>Is it linn- ELL or LINN-ell? I always thought it was LINN-ell. That's >how >>I've been pronouncing it for a year. Which one is it, someone please >tell >>me! > >Sheesh! John's name is spelled Linnell and pronounced >"FAR-feg-NU-gen." Duh. Thanx for clearing that up for me! Finally a good honest reply! :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F386D.32C9@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:44:45 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Awww.. come on guys.... I really think the card that vladdy boy sent was cute. I mean, would the list be the same if we thought the Johns DIDNT think we are completely insane? It just wouldnt be as much fun. And a baby with "flans" pointing to is is just C-U-T-E. I dont know. <-----------Awaiting slime Kevin "Water" McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:28:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: I've never had the priviage of meeting someone of Message-ID: <19970611.164453.15246.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:22:19 -0500 "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." writes: >First, old business. Mr. Kleve, I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud >after reading >your post. "I'm not a newbie, I've been here since March." Now, it's >nothing >that's bad, but, well, that's an odd statement. Don't feel bad about >being a >newbie, there's nothing wrong with it. :) You have a twisted sense of humor. Was that funny? Whatever. What do you consider a newbie? I'M NOT DAMNIT! IF I WAS I'D HAVE TO SHOOT MYSELF OUT OF SHAME!!!!! -Evan "Closet Newbie" Kleve P.S. What in God's name does your subject mean?! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970611140358.00729b28@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:04:07 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: I've never had the priviage of meeting someone of At 04:28 PM 6/11/97 -0400, you wrote: >You have a twisted sense of humor. Was that funny? Whatever. What do you >consider a newbie? I'M NOT DAMNIT! IF I WAS I'D HAVE TO SHOOT MYSELF OUT >OF SHAME!!!!! Easy, Evan, you'll scare them away. :) There's no shame in being a newbie. I dunno exactly where the line gets drawn between newbie and certified nut... er, confirmed listie. Prolly somewhere around the 3 month mark. But some people have been around much longer. For example, ask Jonathan Chaffer how long he's been on here. Leo, too. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F3C96.27D4@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:02:30 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: Good threads > Well how bout > a GOOD threads thread? From what I can remember (Ive only been here since about November or something) but here is a good thread- Anyone remember the thing about "They might be giants" written across womens chests? That was funny. Maybe Im a perv. Im having a little trouble remembering all the threads. Everyone out there, whos been here for a while, say something about all the good this list has done! Prove were not all a bunch of obsessed losers! (But wouldnt reminiscing about the list be ample proof the other way? FEH) Kevin "Sven's could kick Alluras ASS" McGuire ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706112109.AA29489@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:09:13 -0400 (EDT) > Awww.. come on guys.... I really think the card that vladdy boy sent was > cute. I mean, would the list be the same if we thought the Johns DIDNT > think we are completely insane? It just wouldnt be as much fun. And a > baby with "flans" pointing to is is just C-U-T-E. > > I dont know. <-----------Awaiting slime Heyyy, you can't do that on television *green slime all over Kevin's head* Actually I thought the card was pretty cute, I think it was what he wrote that would make him think we were totally insane. I mean a little insanity isn't bad but if we ever want him to be not-quite-so-scared of us at concerts maye it was our opportunity here to sho him that we are nice, normal folks (for the most part, I think our token exception would be Leffel ;) I think he's not going to have a clue about this immortal stuff and think we are a bunch of raving nuts. Hmm maybe that's not so bad afterall? Oh well, it's sent and that's that. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:27:37 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706112127.QAA11246@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Good threads >>From what I can remember (Ive only been here since about November or >something) but here is a good thread- >Anyone remember the thing about "They might be giants" written across >womens chests? That was funny. Maybe Im a perv. Has TMBG fandom/obsession really advanced this far? Tell me it isn't so... I refuse to believe it. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:26:46 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706112126.QAA18355@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Vlad aint bad >Awww.. come on guys.... I really think the card that vladdy boy sent was >cute. I mean, would the list be the same if we thought the Johns DIDNT >think we are completely insane? It just wouldnt be as much fun. And a >baby with "flans" pointing to is is just C-U-T-E. Personally, I'd prefer not to be categorized as a rabid fan, or insane person with some sort of obsession with the Johns. I love the music of TMBG, and for all I know John & John are great guys, but really, do you want to scare them? I do feel the card could have been chosen more carefully, but if I had felt very strongly about it, I would have sent my own card. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970611173420.0081f9a0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:34:20 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Well.... here's what I have to say about the card: It's *your* fault if you don't agree with the "Flans -->" message or Immortal thing. You, the public, *elected* Vlad to represent you... Isn't it your fault if your elected leader makes a fool of you in front of everybody? Or, he kinda tookit upon himself, tho... so he's like a dictator... or something. That was pretty pointless. I dont' really care if the Johns think I'm nuts, because I *know* I am. =] Unless of course I met them after a concert, and they said "Hey you're that Evan guy from that crazy internet list! Dan, Graham! Get Him!" Evan "The First One" Chakroff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970611173811.0081cb60@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:38:11 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: I'm not done talking yet. And one more thing... i don't consider myself a rabid fan. The Johns are just normal people just like you and me [1]. And I would not pay *any* money for a hotel sheet they slept on, even if it was greatly discounted! And the worst thread would have to be the "Wost Thread" thread. But someone already said that, so I'm unoriginal. so sue me. -ec | NO SIG! NO SIG! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:42:11 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Good threads Message-ID: > >Anyone remember the thing about "They might be giants" written across > >womens chests? That was funny. Maybe Im a perv. > > Has TMBG fandom/obsession really advanced this far? Tell me it isn't so... I > refuse to believe it. I think it was women wearing *t-shirts* that said They Might Be Giants across the chest, and later realizing/having it pointed out that it looked a little...funny. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706112157.AA29539@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: threads Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:57:15 -0400 (EDT) Well if memory serves me, the list has not always been at this address and in fact used to be run by other folks (correct me if I'm wrong Leo, my memory is terrible), I think it might have been at dnai.com (where tmbg.com used to be) or some other such address, so in fact while it has always been called the TMBG mailing list it could be thought of as different lists. I really cannot remember how long I've been around, probably a few years, but most threads evaporate from my memory unless they are brought back up on the list again and then I think, oh boy that thread again ;) I do know that the turnover has been high, which is normal with e-mail lists, I don't see any of the Utopia parkway folks, Kate, Karie, or Frankenberry (Mr. I'm 100% rubber, feel me!) or some of the other folks I just plain can't remember at this time. But the point is, there are new folks on this list and while a bunch of stuff is in the FAQ as far as TMBG information goes, there were some threads that aren't documented anywhere and thus the older list-folks may see a thread more than a few times but all of the newbies just haven't heard of them yet. Often it's just coincidental that they happen to think up the same thread that someone else has thought of in the past. It does sometimes cause older listies to tear their hair out, often exclaiming, "Not this thread again!" but my advice is to just bear with it, and it'll pass at least until the next batch of newbies with the same thread idea comes along. Boy, it's a neverending cycle, eh? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F3D9B.6535@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:06:51 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Influence-o-rama Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > At 02:09 PM 6/10/97 -0700, you wrote: > > > >> >I want to know what stuff you all have gotten into because of > >> >TMBG- come, share with the group! > > > >All I'm going to say is, I wouldn't have a tattoo of THE MAN. > > I will not mention that I did not give Lani extra credit on the fandom test > for her extraordinary lack of devotion to TMBG (as evidenced by the tattoo > that she does not have). Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, that is. > > >Okay, I got kinda a cute card... it's got a baby on the front with his > butt hanging > >out... and you open it up and it says, "This year... no cracks about your > age." > >So I took a Sharpie and wrote "Flans" with an arrow pointing to the baby... > > Seriously, though, Vlad, why the potty humor? I mean, I think it's really > cool that you're doing this, and John forbid you pick one of those sappy > smarmy cards, but there are plenty of cards that are funny without being > gross. > *sigh* I feel like an old fogey... :) > > --nicole the wonder nerd > > *** > "I do the best imitation of myself."--Ben Folds Five > Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org *blush* Well, I could have picked the monkey card... And at least I didn't put some huge letter of worship as our new god on the inside... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money!" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F3EB9.7A7@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:11:37 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: B-Day > On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:08:30 -0700 vlad_drakul > writes: > >> Whats the card? Im sure us people who put our names on it would > >like to > >> know. Its not entirely blank is it? Its got at least a picture > >right? > >> > >> The ever curious- > >> Kevin McGuire > > > >Okay, I got kinda a cute card... it's got a baby on the front with his > >butt hanging > >out... and you open it up and it says, "This year... no cracks about > >your age." > >So I took a Sharpie and wrote "Flans" with an arrow pointing to the > >baby... > > > >Then on the inside I wrote a little letter on who we are, etc. etc... > >then I put > >everyone's name and e-mail address. > > > >Then on the back, I broke down a little and put, "Err, did I write > >_all_ those e-mail > >addresses for nothing? I hope not! Please reply! We're not > >Immortals who want to hack > >off your head! (Don't ask... it's a long story)" > > > >Then I called Elektra, and they had NO clue on whether they would send > >it to They. > >So I called Restless, and they said they COULD and WOULD send the card > >to John. Yay! > > Errr... I really have no clue, as I already deleted the folder full of messages. But I can say that it fills up the ENTIRE card with a small "Happy Birthday John" speel and all the signatures. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money!" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F407C.3A50@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:19:08 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Hansen Hey, you guys remember Hansen, right? The newbie TMBG-lover? I'm quite proud of him... he's gone and bought Then, has listened to each CD about 6 times, driven his parents nuts (his dad hates TMBG now), and is now a "digestie!" Pretty quick development from an old die-hard Weird Al fan, eh? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money!" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F3FF4.60D6@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:16:52 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad > Well.... here's what I have to say about the card: > > It's *your* fault if you don't agree with the "Flans -->" message or > Immortal thing. You, the public, *elected* Vlad to represent you... Isn't > it your fault if your elected leader makes a fool of you in front of > everybody? > > Or, he kinda tookit upon himself, tho... so he's like a dictator... or > something. > > That was pretty pointless. I dont' really care if the Johns think I'm nuts, > because I *know* I am. =] > > Unless of course I met them after a concert, and they said "Hey you're that > Evan guy from that crazy internet list! Dan, Graham! Get Him!" Wow! I've become a thread! Neato! Yeah... I can imagine Them doing that to me... Me: Hey, it's Flans! Can I have your autograph? Flans: Hey, are you that Vlad guy? Me: Err, yeah! You remember me? Cool! Flans: Think I'm a fat-assed baby, do ya?! Come on, John! Let's get 'im! Hehe... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* George Carlin on religion: "...there's this big invisible man in the sky who made everything and he's watching you every moment of every day. He's got this little private world of fire and torture if you're bad, but he LOVES you, and he _needs_ money!" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:21:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970611211935_338334006@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm not done talking yet. Evan-- You forgot the footnote! BTW, it's hard with email to work with footnotes. I have to scroll up and down, down and up. My head's about to fall off (and there aren't any Advil missing) Joel "Foot-In-Mouth" Gedalius Save The Chia Pets! Save The Chia Pets! Save Bob Dole! In a message dated 97-06-11 17:45:53 EDT, chakroff@ee.net (Evan Chakroff) writes: << And one more thing... i don't consider myself a rabid fan. The Johns are just normal people just like you and me [1]. And I would not pay *any* money for a hotel sheet they slept on, even if it was greatly discounted! And the worst thread would have to be the "Wost Thread" thread. But someone already said that, so I'm unoriginal. so sue me. -ec | NO SIG! NO SIG! >> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:39:58 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: More food for thought! Message-ID: > date as fast? (Or something.) Didn't Linnell further go on to say, tongue > in cheek, that the song had been written during the Wilson administration? > Wouldn't this be irrefutable proof that he is an Immortal? Or am I making > this story up? > My god, you are so right! I hadn't even thought of that! Looked up James K. Polk in an encyclopedia, I'm so sure...I'll bet Linnell _knew_ JKP and penned this homage to him 150 years later...I'll tell you who wrote Shakespeare's plays, I will. He is an Immortal! He is, I tells ya! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F7F5E.E7C@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:47:26 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad > Heyyy, you can't do that on television > *green slime all over Kevin's head* WATER! WATER!!! > but if we ever want him to be not-quite-so-scared of > us at concerts maye it was our opportunity here to sho him that we are > nice, normal folks There is no way that we can disprove that now. Anyone remember when we were talking about his glasses? Nice normal folk dont talk about that type of thing. And I think that trying to disprove that fact that we are all insane just fits the idiom more. So I think its all or nothin! I say, if any of us ever see them walking on the street, stop only at what the law allows! I know I would be yelling "WHY DONT YOU ANSWER MY CALLS? I SENT YOU THAT GIFT CERTIFICATE, BUT DID YOU USE IT? NOOOO!!" at the both of them as they were walking toward the nearest police station. At about that time I would be reaching into my backpack and pulling out my quilt of them, and running down the street with it billowing in the wind behind me, screaming "Im not DOOONE! And I wont BE till my HEAD falls OFF!" Um... I mean maybe we shouldnt be so obsessed. Kevin "Im not obsessed, I just happen to enjoy quilting" McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:50:11 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Fandom, STP, SO's, and thoughts... Message-ID: RE Robbie G.'s snide comments on our levels of fandom: No insult felt here, but come on, we're not that bad. I mean, who's to judge what is bad in the world of fandom and what is good? So some of us have dreams about Them, have all of there albums and then some, drive out of state to see them, listen to nothing else- this is not wrong. I've read stories about people from the days of Beatlemania that would make your hair stand on end (if it's not already) to read about, as far as fandom goes. I mean, what's a small temple in the back yard here and there? (My parents don't know about mine. I'ts hidden in the bushes. I leave a bowl of milk by the statues of the Johns so they don't get hungry. The sacrifices are a little tough...people start to notice when the plump five-year-olds start to disappear...) STP: I like Stone Temple Pilots. I admit it. I don't know why I like them, but I do. Very catchy. It grew on me, I couldn't help it. My friends make fun of me mercilessly, but I'll live... SO's: Or, significant others or the lack there of. I don't have a boyfriend. I'd like one, but it sure ain't TMBG that's keeping me from having one. Perhaps its a quality of the average TMBG fan that makes it difficult. The only guy I know that likes even remotely the kind of music I do (none of my other friends do at all, really) I couldn't date for various reasons (he's very annoying for one.) I like to think I'm relatively attractive, I like sports, I have a clue...I don't know what it is. But let's not blame our love for TMBG for our lack of a SO- maybe it's our intelligence and self-confidence that keeps all the others away... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 22:36:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970611223517_-1463634534@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT repeat Just to reiterate for those who missed it: The OMLT project is ON HOLD until the end of the school year (June 18) because I am up to some very high body parts in projects, finals, and other high school shit. I will post to the list as soon as I know how much you owe me, and then we can start rolling with collecting money and all that. Right now, not failing junior year is my first prority. Thank you for your patience, and have a nice day. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! If your e-mail or regular address will be changing this summer and you haven't already told me... DO IT!!! Since many of you seem to be unsubscribing for the summer, these may be the only ways I can get OMLT info to you. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <339F9640.1FB2@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:25:04 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Fandom, STP, SO's, and thoughts... > Perhaps its a quality of the average TMBG fan that makes it difficult. Hmmm... I keep meeting people, and expecting so much more from them... all you people out there are polluting me...:P > But > let's not blame our love for TMBG for our lack of a SO- Hrm- Ive thought this alot- but all the TMBG people seem so much better than everyone else, even when I try to look at it unjudgementally and completely unbiased. You know what I think the problem is- all of us are all so spread out across the country. If we all like lived in one town- we should call it cowtown- I would just love to see what would happen. Anway- Ive been entirely too post-happy today. Someone should shoot me or find some other reasonable punishment. Like smearing me with gallons of molassess. Now thats my own personal hell. The one who suddenly smells molasses- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706120330.AA29897@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: fake sanity Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:30:47 -0400 (EDT) Heheh maybe we should fake sanity when around them? nahh hehe Actually, when Frank saw themn at the Silver Diner in Philadelphia before the show he asked them if they could play a little snippet of No One Knows My Plan during the show. The setlist showed no mention of this song yet they played a little snippet before the intros (I think it was at that point in the concert...) Coincidence? I think not! /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:35:58 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Different music Message-ID: <19970611.233559.16902.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Hey everybody! I love you all, you are all great! I just wanted to say that before I piss all of you off. Okay, here goes: I don't know about anyone else, but I happen to have an extrememly wide variety of musical interest. I would never criticize the music any of you listen to. Even if I don't personally love the music mentioned, it irritates me to hear a lot of you say some music is bad as if it were common knowlege. We're supposed to be open minded and accepting of different opinions. That's what makes us good people. Let's celebrate our different opinions and other music! I, for starters, like The Rugburns, Stone Temple Pilots, No Doubt, Jewel, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Ben Folds Five, Rage Against The Machine, Slaughter, Weezer, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Dave Matthews Band, Guns n' Roses, Cake, The Beatles, and that's all I can think of right now. A lot of you probably hate a few, if not a lot, of the above mentioned bands, and have probably said negetive things about them on the list. What other bands do you people like? Before you get all mad about this being "non-TMBG" just think how it's cool to know what the TMBG croud digs. It is related, very much so. Let's try not to say anything that might put down somebody's opinion. And try to be more tolerant of people. People get mad so easily on this list. Why should threads be so annoying? I have no idea how large or small of a thread this message may create. Just accept them. This is one big pool of communication and people will naturally want to reply to messages. So let them and leave them be. That's all I have to say. -Evan "Peacemaker" Kleve ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:40:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706120340.XAA23434@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" >All I'm going to say is, I wouldn't have a tattoo of THE MAN. Um, no. "That Guy" is William Allen White, the dude whose photo appears in about half of TMBG's videos at one point or another. "THE MAN" is Whitey, the oppressor, the person who puts you DOWN. Capiche? If, after all that, you actually *do* have a tattoo of THE MAN, I first give a tip of the hat to your inventive tattoo, then I run away, because you're probably a Nazi. >And the unending thread about many things that was started by Mr. Joshua Hall- >Bachner. The subject read: "So I rolled down the window and said....." And >everytime, what was said was changed. Real high quality stuff. I loved it. Why, thank you. I try. :) >I head a rumor a while back that Flans directed the video for "I've Never known >a girl like you before" by Edwyn Collins. This is true. (That Flans directed the video, not that you heard the rumor that he did, although supposedly this is true as well.) Josh So I rolled down the window and said, "Deja vu all over again!" /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970612001359.006a0514@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 00:13:59 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" At 11:40 PM 6/11/97 -0400, you wrote: >Um, no. "That Guy" is William Allen White, the dude whose photo appears in >about half of TMBG's videos at one point or another. "THE MAN" is Whitey, >the oppressor, the person who puts you DOWN. Capiche? 'The man' isn't referring to the little guy on the Why Does The Sun Shine? EP? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <31BE45D0.3B4E@journalx.com> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:21:36 -0400 From: Shane Ham Organization: Journal X Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Evan R Kleve wrote: >[I like tons of music, here's a list of bands] The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706120437.XAA04489@dfw-ix13.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:35:18 -0700 That's a very elitist snobby way to think. Do you think you are the only person in the world with good taste? ---------- | From: Shane Ham | To: Evan R Kleve | Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org | Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music | Date: Tuesday, June 11, 1996 9:21 PM | | Evan R Kleve wrote: | | >[I like tons of music, here's a list of bands] | | The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:54:09 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706120454.XAA27137@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Different music >That's a very elitist snobby way to think. Does that make it any less true? Everyone is elitist in some sense. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:05:40 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Message-ID: <19970612.010548.17550.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:21:36 -0400 Shane Ham writes: >Evan R Kleve wrote: > >>[I like tons of music, here's a list of bands] > >The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. > What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you actually suggesting that we should only listen to They Might Be Giants?!! Am I the only one here with an extensive record collection? Are you saying this to everyone with an extensive record collection? How could you think that I meant that I liked everything? I listed the music I like, and there is music I hate. To name one, Hootie And The Blowfish. I happen not to like them. But I am not stating it as a fact that it is bad music. There are probably people on the list who like them, and I completely respect their opinion. You obviously did not comprehend a word of my message. Perhaps you should reread it. I didn't mean you must like everyone's music, but just to respect their opinion. If I said I liked everything (which is rediculous to expect from anyone), I would've said so, not listed 15 bands. How can you close your mind like that? -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:10:57 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Message-ID: <19970612.011058.17550.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:54:09 -0500 (CDT) Mitchell Harding writes: >>That's a very elitist snobby way to think. > >Does that make it any less true? Everyone is elitist in some sense. > Actually, it's not true. Do you agree with Shane? Everyone read my message about different music very carefully before jumping to conclusions! So far people are getting a very wrong idea about it. -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 00:40:02 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706120540.AAA32276@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music >>>That's a very elitist snobby way to think. >>Does that make it any less true? Everyone is elitist in some sense. >Actually, it's not true. Do you agree with Shane? Everyone read my >message about different music very carefully before jumping to >conclusions! So far people are getting a very wrong idea about it. I am not taking a position on the truth of his statement. I was commenting that calling his statement elitist and snobby has no relevance as far as it's truth is concerned, and I was also making the point that elitism is fairly universal among humans, and that it's not always a bad thing. People seem to be getting the wrong idea about my response as well. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 00:38:05 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706120538.AAA27360@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music >>The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. > What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you actually >suggesting that we should only listen to They Might Be Giants?!! Am I the >only one here with an extensive record collection? Are you saying this to >everyone with an extensive record collection? No, I believe he was making a general observation, not a personal attack, as you seem to have overlooked. > You obviously did not comprehend a word of my message. Perhaps >you should reread it. I didn't mean you must like everyone's music, but >just to respect their opinion. If I said I liked everything (which is >rediculous to expect from anyone), I would've said so, not listed 15 >bands. How can you close your mind like that? Close his mind? How so? His comment was not necessarily an attack on any individual. I think he probably understood your message just fine. I disagree with his statement nonetheless, but your response seemed a bit blown out of proportion. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 22:37:06 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Gong Message-ID: <19970611.225704.3686.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Who was it that was asking about a gong sound?? I have one!!! Write me back. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-162 ******************************