Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-163 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 163 Friday, 13 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: "Fa-la-la-la-lincoln" TMBG, in Re: to Different Music TMBG: cool it! Re: TMBG: threads Re: TMBG: Different music TMBG: anyone recognize this show? TMBG: Matt's Life Savings TMBG: Linny in the newpaper Re: TMBG: Different music TMBG: Linnell's Birthday Re: TMBG: Linnell's Birthday TMBG: Re: Today is the greatest day!!! =) TMBG: Linnell's birthday, "Guitar" question TMBG: Linnell's Birthday in Paper TMBG: I am a Newbie and proud of it! Re: TMBG: "Fa-la-la-la-lincoln" TMBG, in Re: to Different Music Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: Different music Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings NON-TMBG: Re: Different Music Re: TMBG: Fandom, STP, SO's, and thoughts... TMBG: It's not my birthday Re: TMBG: cool it! TMBG: to Mike Leffel TMBG: HOORAY! Re: (Non-)TMBG: Different music TMBG: If anyone missed the June 9 People.... Re: TMBG: It's not my birthday TMBG: The Band Band Debacle Re: TMBG: It's not my birthday Re: TMBG: It's not my birthday NON-TMBG: Re: Different Music TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings TMBG: Play by e-mail game with a lot of TMBG references TMBG: Re: Different Music Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings NON-TMBG: Icq TMBG: Okay Re: TMBG: Okay Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199706120710.CAA13688@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 02:15:48 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: "Fa-la-la-la-lincoln" TMBG, in Re: to Different Music Now folks, Need I remind you that today in Linnellmas, one of the most important two days of the year! Yesterday was, of course, Linnellmas Eve, and we #tmbgers on the Undernet celebrated like true fans, with The Statue Got Me High (A Great Linnell song) as our Song of the Day, and a some fun caroling with the song "Fa-la-la-la-lincoln." But are the list people celebrating Linnellmas Eve in such happy ways? No, we spent our time arguing over petty things. Let's spread the love on Linnellmas, eh? Dylan "In no way obsessed or insane or copying anyone" Flipse -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A09264.447F@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:20:52 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: cool it! Please cease this mindless crap. Every one is entitled to their opinions. I'm sick of people fighting on the list. >>>[I like tons of music, here's a list of bands] The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation.<< !! "Who can say what's wrong or right, nobody can." --TMBG !! Tom. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 07:26:25 -0600 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: threads At 3:57 PM -0600 6/11/97, Matthew James wrote: >Well if memory serves me, the list has not always been at this address >and in fact used to be run by other folks (correct me if I'm wrong Leo, >my memory is terrible), I think it might have been at dnai.com (where You're absolutely correct. If you can remember when I ran the list, you've been here too long. ;-) But I agree that some of us veterans have to suffer quietly through lame old threads. However, we do not have to suffer through threads that are not related to TMBG. This list has matured a lot since the they-might-be@super.org days, the days of the Kate & Kari Show, the days of Dr. Banana. For one thing, we are a *much* larger group of fans than we were then. There are simply too many people to have this be a "chatty" atmosphere anymore. If you want that kind of atmosphere, I strongly suggest stopping by #TMBG on IRC some time. In other news, look for a massive, ground-up reworking of the interpretations at www.tmbg.org starting today, to be completed... when I get done with it. Hopefully by the end of the month. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 08:41:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: Different music by Evan R Kleve@juno.com > What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you actually > suggesting that we should only listen to They Might Be Giants?!! Am I the > only one here with an extensive record collection? Are you saying this to > everyone with an extensive record collection? How could you think that I He was commenting that extreme variety and seemingly indiscriminant tastes indicate a lack of appreciation - if there aren't any bands a person *won't* listen to, how can he truly appreciate those bands he *does* listen to? No one is suggesting being narrow minded, but at the same time, listening to everything under the sun isn't necessarily the goal to be achieved, either. I listen to mostly two groups (TMBG and cub) but have CDs of several other bands because I think they're good and I'll pull the CDs out once in a while and listen to them. and as long as we're talking about other bands - cub is no more - read about it (if you want) at http://mintrecs.com/bands/speak/cub/bye/cub.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 08:49:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: anyone recognize this show? I saw this listed as 10/18/94, and, naturally, being curious about finding a show I may have been at, asked for the setlist. well, it's definitely not 10/18/94, but it is from the John Henry tour, probably October or November of 1994... anyone recognize it? Countdown / Subliminal / AKA Driver / Frankenbird / Don't Let's Start / James Ensor / Ana Ng (rockin' intro) / Your Racist Friend / Stompbox / Istanbul / [Band intro] / Twisting / No One Knows My Plan / Spy (You Are My Sunshine) / Shoehorn With Teeth / Partcle Man / The Statue Got Me High / The Famous Polka / Dirtbike / I Palindrome I / Why Does the Sun Shine? / Birdhouse In Your Soul / Snail Shell / Frankenstein / E: The Guitar / The End of the Tour / Sleeping In the Flowers / Dig My Grave (isn't this version of Spy the one that appears on Stump Box?) ------------------------------ From: PaulLB@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:52:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612095248_-1228355581@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Hi all De-lurking long enoungh to express a rare opinion rare enough to de-lurk for, uh, yup. Anywho, I realize that this whole Matt's Life Saving bit started as a joke for the next album name, but I think it's pretty durn catchy! Any ideas on how we could pressure J & J into seriously considering this as a ligit title? Maybe even enclude a title track dedicated to their drooling internet fandom. Just a thought (felt nice, I'll have to make an effort think more often). Paul "making every effort to be more like Mike "insert witty bit here" Leffel" LB ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Linny in the newpaper Message-ID: <19970612.083239.12206.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:32:56 EDT I'd just like to inform everyone in the Rocky mountain region that the denver paper, *The Rocky Mountain News* (which should go out to all ye rocky mountain people) anounced Linnell's birthday in it, thanks to me. I found the newspapers e-mail address a couple of days ago and so i wrote them and told them to put it in the section that is "today's birthdays" thinking that they would never even read my e-mail much less do it. so, my day is pretty kewlio... "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970612115409.00815460@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:54:09 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music "Did not! Did too! Did not! Did too!" So what happens bickering kids get their hands on a dictionary and a thesaurus? -ec PS: No offense to anyone. This is in no way a personal attack on anyone. If anything, this was an insult directed at all of those fighting over Evan's (the other one) post. ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:14:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612121454_-530081432@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell's Birthday Its John Linnell's birthday today, I better watch Entertainment Tonight, to see if he's mentioned. (what are the odds?) TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/7824 PS Wait a minute isn't this the anniversery of the Ron and Nicole murders? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A05ECD.2AC7@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:40:45 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Birthday > Its John Linnell's birthday today, I better watch Entertainment Tonight, to > see if he's mentioned. (what are the odds?) > They mention people no one has ever heard of. At least with Them, people have heard of them, albeit always saying "Theyre ok Iguess" immediately after being asked about em. Does anyone else get this response? Im getting freaking sick if it. Kevin, the ever living ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Today is the greatest day!!! =) Message-ID: <19970612.122355.3918.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:24:01 EDT on 93.3 KTCL here in denver they have this show called "phone sets" (say it out loud now...) where you can call in a group of three songs that are somehow related. Well, in honor of Linny's birthday i called up and asked him to play "educational TMBG" with JKP, Meet james ensor, WDTSS?, and #3. which turned into his playing WDTSS?, TMBG, James Ensor, and Minimum wage!!! wooohoo!! _and_ i got on the radio! wow! 4 songs by them right in a row!!! aaaah, with that and getting linny in the paper today i feel as though i have fullfilled my duties as a TMBG fan supporting and promoting their godliness. "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:21:35 -0600 (CST) From: beelersj@SLU.EDU Subject: TMBG: Linnell's birthday, "Guitar" question Message-id: I opened up the _St. Louis Post-Dispatch_ this morning, and there it was in the People section under "Today's Birthdays": Rock's John Linnell......38. I was really shocked to see him there, with George Bush and others that most people have heard of. I have a question about the song "The Guitar." There is some unintelligible (to me) speaking in the middle of it, and I was wondering if anyone has figured out exactly what is being said. sara ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:19:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612161148_1524980939@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell's Birthday in Paper Allo and Happy Linnellkah and Merry Linnell Mas and Linnellanza to all! Today is a day of joy for all of us. I saw in Newsday (Long Island and NYC paper) on the inside front cover they have an "almanac" listing each day including the weather forcast, events of that day, and birthdays of that day. You guessed it! ...and John Linnell (They Might Be Giants), 38... This suprised me very much because the same paper failed to list Flansburgh on his birthday. Hmmm....??? Anyway, those that share birthdays with Linnell are: George Bush (kewl), David Rockefeller, Uta Hagen, Timothy Busfield, Jenilee Harriston (also 38!), Vic Damone, Jim Nabors, Chick Corea, Reg Presley, Brad Delp, Bun E. Carlos, Bobby Sheehan, John Linnell (this far down), Junior Brown, Rocky Burnette, Grandmaster Dee, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. BTW, this page of Newsday is not available on the web although practically every other page is (go figure) Joel "How do they make those trick candles?" Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ <~~DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST http://members.aol.com/yoel97/chia.htm <~~HOMEPAGE FOR SAVE THE CHIA PETS FOUNDATION, A MUST SEE! http://members.aol.com/yoel97/they/ <~~THEY WEBSITE http://members.aol.com/yoel97/sun.wav <~~WDTSS? ORIGINAL (DAVE LETTERMAN) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122031.QAA29195@thor.infi-pos.com> From: "Carrie Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: I am a Newbie and proud of it! Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:28:45 -0400 I thank the wonderful person (whose name escapes me at this moment) for sticking up for the newbies! I have been a fan of TMBG for 6 years, seen the 6 times and I can list countless other things that no one really cares about. I recently subscribed to the mailing list hoping to see some interesting posts. I am proud to be a very well informed newbie. Carrie Hoffmann * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- "I'm crazy, but I get the job done!" - Ben Folds Five http://www.infi-pos.com/~carrie - VERY primitive home page! * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:09:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612170943_552893714@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: "Fa-la-la-la-lincoln" TMBG, in Re: to Different Music Yes, I agree completely!!!! On this, one of our two most hallowed holidays, we must be filled with love, peace, and thankfulness that They were born and gave us all of these wonderful songs which we can obsess over!!!!!! I know that you're not reading this, but Happy Birthday, John!!!!!!! The big 38!!!! Wow. He's twice my age!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122103.QAA10174@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:26:40 -0500 > Personally, I'd prefer not to be categorized as a rabid fan, or insane > person with some sort of obsession with the Johns. ...fine. (checks off box) I'VE GOT TO GO GET ME BRAIN MEDICINES NOW, THE VOICES ARE TELLING ME TO DARN THE SOCKS OF OTHERS! WEEEEEE! Mike "I haven't had mail in two days and I'm feeling woozy" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122103.QAA10180@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:34:07 -0500 > Evan R Kleve wrote: > > >[I like tons of music, here's a list of bands] > > The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. And the person who likes Faculty FInnies is a rabid stinking ARCHIE fan, and should be dragged out into the street and shot before you can say PROFESSOR FLUTE-SNOOT! Mike "There's REGGIE!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122103.QAA10177@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:32:38 -0500 > > If, after all that, you actually *do* have a tattoo of THE MAN, I first give > a tip of the hat to your inventive tattoo, then I run away, because you're > probably a Nazi.. ------/ If NAZIS had mandatory tatoo's of THE MAN, I'd be burning down villages faster than you can say "Unglaublich!" Mike "Das CARPHONE ist eine NUISANCEPHONE!" LEffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122103.QAA10171@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:26:26 -0500 > us at concerts maye it was our opportunity here to sho him that we are > nice, normal folks (for the most part, I think our token exception would > be Leffel ;) The token exception called Leffel fell between the grating and we're just watching him screaming... Mike "Lost me internet access for ONE DAY" Leffel ...damn, I missed it, too.. you never know HOW much it means to you when one day, YOU CAN'T read a summary of ALL 90 episodes of WKRP on the web. Oh, and BTW, I SAW ALL 90 EPISODES OF WKRP _BEFORE_ I WAS NINE, PEOPLE! MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Mike "The Matt's Life Savings Scared meeeee" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122103.QAA10187@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:46:42 -0500 > "Did not! > > Did too! > > Did not! > > Did too!" This portion of The Evan Chakroff Show has been brought to you by the Winderton Falls Home For The Clinically MultiPersonalitied. Remember, if you don't get help here, get help some where. That goes for you too. And you. > So what happens bickering kids get their hands on a dictionary and a > thesaurus? > "That ain't a duck, buddy!" > PS: No offense to anyone. This is in no way a personal attack on anyone. Except poor, poor, deceased, Bill Bixby. > If > anything, this was an insult directed at all of those fighting over Evan's > (the other one) post. It ain't a fight until you got some COOL WHIP, you pansy assed momma's boys.!!!!!!!!! ^_^ Mike "I'll fight you all until you're red in the pooper!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122103.QAA10183@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:42:25 -0500 > Anywho, I realize that this whole Matt's Life Saving bit started as a joke > for the next album name, but I think it's pretty durn catchy! Any ideas on > how we could pressure J & J into seriously considering this as a ligit title? If that happens, and Matt James becomes the most popular listie in the world overnight, thanks to me, I'll have to go stark raving fruitball mad, and take over a local WalMart until my demands are met. > Maybe even enclude a title track dedicated to their drooling internet > fandom. Just a thought (felt nice, I'll have to make an effort think more > often). > "Look at the freaks, fighting over topics they can't possibly understand.. Look at the freak, look at the freaks, arguing over Nazis and 'the man'...." heheheheheheheh > Paul "making every effort to be more like Mike "insert witty bit here" > Leffel" LB > Then you're gonna have to strip naked, wear a nfty rain poncho (which is of course, BRIGHT GREEN), wear a giant cheese-head hat, run out into the street screaming 'I LOST MY HEART IN SAN FRANSISCO" in the middle of the night until a nice man claiming to be from the police or highway patrol comes to get you. That's your cue. At this time, you MUST produce some frozen (well, thawed out ones) burritos and toss them wildly at this invader to our country and run like heck. When you wake up, days later, from the bullet wounds... think of me. ^_^ Mike "AnnLanders2: The return of Sadness from Ohio" Leffel ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:21:00 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612181216_-1798773691@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: Re: Different Music >What other bands do you people like? > Before you get all mad about this being "non-TMBG" >just think how it's cool to know what the TMBG croud >digs. It is related, very much so. Okay, well, besides the Gi's : Barenaked Ladies, Odds, Moxy Fruvous, Nirvana, XTC, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, Beatles, Bjork, Stereolab, Ashley MacIssac, Cardigans, No Doubt, Tori Amos, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, Combustible Edison, Cibo Matto, Geggy Tah, Pizzicato 5, Tragically Hip, the Clash, Hole, Frank Black, Pixies, Kraftwerk, Weezer, Sponge, Doors...(and Mono Puff of course). Oh, and I *plan* on getting a BF5 cd soon. :) >The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. That doesn't make sense to me, maybe I understood the original message.. sarah:) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122220.PAA27525@mta4.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:20:38 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Re: TMBG: Fandom, STP, SO's, and thoughts... ---Queen Sneepy wrote: > > RE Robbie G.'s snide comments on our levels of fandom: > > No insult felt here, but come on, we're not that bad. It's like, I'm here for the socialization. I also get to see other ppl'sperspectives on TMBG. Not all of us are rabid fans, Robbie. (And John.) > I mean, who's to > judge what is bad in the world of fandom and what is good? So some of us > have dreams about Them, have all of there albums and then some, drive out > of state to see them, listen to nothing else- this is not wrong. No, it's not. It's all about what the music SAYS to you. I identify with the music of TMBG. I travel out of state because TMBG just don't come to Oklahoma ever and they're worth seeing live. We dream about them because they're a factor in our lives. > STP: > I like Stone Temple Pilots. I admit it. I don't know why I like them, > but I do. Very catchy. It grew on me, I couldn't help it. My friends > make fun of me mercilessly, but I'll live... I LIKE STP, too. I'm just not a huge fan. I own one album. > SO's: > > Or, significant others or the lack there of. I don't have a boyfriend. Me either. > I'd like one, but it sure ain't TMBG that's keeping me from having one. When I made that statement, I was kidding. The whole TMBG Influence-A-Rama was all tongue in cheek...right? Like the cards- it was just humor. (The Johns make mighty good humor targets, i must say.0 I like Queen Sneepy. She's a smart cookie. Love, The Almighty Cookie PS- Anybody like the Bosstones? I think I do. _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970612184215.0081a6a0@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:42:15 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: It's not my birthday I am not going to post saying that The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch also listed John Linnell under Today's Birthdays. Also, I'd like to say that Mike Leffel is truely insane. I know it has been said before, and it remains true. I expect it is only temporary, due to his lack of Internet for one day. Mike... if you read this... I'd advise you to *always* have internet access somewhere... even if you have to get one of those newfangled Windows chips for your brain... so you can have useless info pushed [1] into your noggin 24/7. -ec [1] Oooo... buzzword ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:48:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: cool it! Message-ID: <19970612.190138.13894.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:20:52 -0700 Ewing writes: >Please cease this mindless crap. Every one is entitled to their >opinions. >I'm sick of people fighting on the list. > >>>>[I like tons of music, here's a list of bands] >The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation.<< > > !! "Who can say what's wrong or right, nobody can." --TMBG !! > >Tom. > Good point. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706122321.AA00545@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: to Mike Leffel Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:21:31 -0400 (EDT) Hello, Please mail me, Mike Leffel. I would like to talk to you about an important matter. Nicola says me!? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A08631.7B6D@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:28:49 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: HOORAY! What a great day! As celebration of Linny's birthday, I have: 1. BOUGHT Why Does the Sun Shine? for SEVEN DOLLARS. 2. Got my sorry ass out of hell- I mean, Middle School. 3. Requested a large TMBG block n celebration of Linnellmas. Now I'm gonna go hit IRC and celebrate! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:35:48 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970607151124.2e8f6b48@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: (Non-)TMBG: Different music Sorry - but I have to side on Evan K. here..... Many's the time I've been introduced to folk and amongst some of the first questions I've been asked is "What kinda music you into?" And I've been judged as a person on my response (along with one other thing that I won't go into cuz this ain't the place or the time)..... So - So what if you like one kinda musical genre over another? Or even hate a band - I know for sure that I've definitely dissed a band, but I had good reason for doing so cuz they managed to personally offend (mail me if you wanna or really need to know)..... It was a band thing not a musical genre. But to dis a band just cuz it ain't _THE BAND_ to be into is plain crazy..... I happen to quite like MMMBop (Hanson). It's a catch pop-rock tune. Well written musically even if lyrically it might lack - all power to the Hanson Bros. Let them have their 15 minutes - and I'll support the all the way, but to pan them just because they're at #1 is plain stupid - moronic even..... Yours, as ever in love Joe xoxox -- * Joe Keith ******************************************* * * "No-one is completely worthless - * They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba * * Kidnapper Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/kidnapper.html * Mouthfull Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/mouthfull.html * nightnurse Home Page: http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~joekeith/nightnurse.html * ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: Madcup1@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:43:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612194351_57288670@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: If anyone missed the June 9 People.... If anyone wants The June (th issue of People Magazine with a review of Then, and can't find it, i have 3 copies. i would be willing to trade for bootlegs. e-mail me, Jeff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122333.SAA12268@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: It's not my birthday Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:21:41 -0500 I didn't see Entertainment Tonight.. did the Cuba Gooding Junior - loving bastards mention the Linnell?!?!?!? SHOW ME THE GIANT!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! (boom!) > > I am not going to post saying that The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch also listed > John Linnell under Today's Birthdays. > > Also, I'd like to say that Mike Leffel is truely insane. I know it has been > said before, and it remains true. That's it. I'm whipping out the Temporal Continuity ReRetroModificator on you, you squirrly gym monkey. > I expect it is only temporary, due to his > lack of Internet for one day. Mike... if you read this... I'd advise you to > *always* have internet access somewhere... even if you have to get one of > those newfangled Windows chips for your brain... so you can have useless > info pushed [1] into your noggin 24/7. > What Do You Want To Think Today? (tm) > -ec > > [1] Oooo... buzzword DEAR GOD! Merv Griffin has haunted your FOOTNOTE! DAMN YOU MEERRRRRRRVVVV! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! YOU'RE NOT EVEN _DEAD_ YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD! OUT! BANG! BANG! BANG! OUT! BANG! BANG! BANG! OUT!... OUT! OUT! OUT! Huh..(gasp)..huh...huh..>wheeze<...there... I think I got him... huh.. heh..huh...HEH! HA! HA! MUHUHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Mike "AntiMerv #44533" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122336.SAA12335@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: The Band Band Debacle Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:26:14 -0500 Now, since I've been ... hindered... recently, I've not taken part in this whole "Like it all, like it not, TMBG or nothing, snot" business (except my usual non-topic postings) and I'd like to say this..... Batman would not like what I am doing to this JELL-O pudding cup right now, and that is sad... utterly sad. Mike "I'VE FREAKING *LOST* MY FU MANCHU!!!!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A094C1.2C0E@erols.com> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:30:57 -0400 From: Zydell Organization: N/A Subject: Re: TMBG: It's not my birthday No linnell, jim neighbors got mentioned though...thats just as good, right?....right?....ahh crap. Nancy Mike Leffel wrote: > > I didn't see Entertainment Tonight.. did the Cuba Gooding > Junior - loving bastards mention the Linnell?!?!?!? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706122349.SAA12542@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: It's not my birthday Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:39:34 -0500 Ahem. Everyone prepare for my calling to this world. Ahem. and a One and a Two and a Three... > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > I didn't see Entertainment Tonight.. did the Cuba Gooding > > Junior - loving bastards mention the Linnell?!?!?!? > Zydell wrote: > No linnell, jim neighbors got mentioned though...thats just as good, > right?....right?....ahh crap. > > Nancy > SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!! Mike "BWAHAHAHAHA!" Leffel ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:15:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970612221339_1276279127@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: Re: Different Music >What other bands do you people like? > Before you get all mad about this being "non-TMBG" just think how it's cool to >know what the TMBG croud digs. It is related, very much so. Other than TMBG I listen to: Dance Hall Crashers Rentals Shadowy Men from a Shadowy Planet Flamming Lips Beck Reel Big Fish Nerf Herder Cake Operation Ivy Veruca Salt Weezer Skakin Pickles Pulp Fiction st Reservoir Dogs st Gross Pointe Blank st Violent Femms Hole Ben Folds Five I use to listen to Nirvana, Crannberries, Phish but lost my interest one day. TmbgManiac@aol.com http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:11:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706130311.XAA16300@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy >-I wouldn't listen to Adam Ant Heh! I knew *someone* had to go the other way on "XTC Vs. Adam Ant"! >Shouldn't that be "Teenage Mutant Binja Gurdles?" ;) But what's a 'binja'? :D Teenage Mutant Binger Girdles: the tragic story of four young pieces of women's clothing, destroyed by their love of alcohol. Sad, sad, sad. >No nono, I meant, besides the song, _John and John_ are in it (so I heard). As someone who watched the WHOLE DAMN THING, I can reply in the negative. >Marilyn Hanson Egads. I can see it now: a 13 boy in full goth stylings, singing (well, grunting in soprano) above a strangely melodious cacaphony: "The beautiful MMMBop, the beautiful MMMBop." >Ok, for some reason, I don't know, or can't remember, the origin of this >seemingly legendary song. BTW, first off I'd like to thank Matt Keeley for keeping the torch burning, so to speak, on this song until we discovered that it does indeed exist. Anyway: Basically, it's a song they started playing back on the pre-John Henry mini-tour, and which they reintroduced twice for short series of concerts (once in Jan '96 and then just recently again) but which up until recently no one had ever really paid much attention to or ever remembered. Matt and I are still attempting to locate a dubbed copy of it, but to no avail. >I mean, would the list be the same if we thought the Johns DIDNT >think we are completely insane? Um, personally, I'd prefer it if TMBG *didn't* think I was a psycho (which, for those who don't know, I am not.) Wouldn't it be nice if J&J stayed after concerts to talk to their fans instead of running away like frightened rabbits? >I think it was women wearing *t-shirts* that said They Might Be Giants >across the chest, and later realizing/having it pointed out that it looked >a little...funny. I suppose it's good, at least, that these shirts didn't have the words "John Flansburgh" on the left and "John Linnell" on the right side of the shirt. To quote a friend of mine, "Oh look, you've named them!" Oh, wait, this is supposed to be a family list? >Perhaps its a quality of the average TMBG fan that makes it difficult. Do you mean *other* than the fact that we're all withdrawn introverts? >'The man' isn't referring to the little guy on the Why Does The Sun Shine? EP? No, his proper name is "The Little Purple Guy." (Or perhaps it's just "The Purple Guy," I'm not sure.) Nevertheless, "THE MAN" (*especially* when capitalized) is the Opressor, *not* the guy on WDTSS. Please, people, precision is all-important in these matters. Josh "One of many shamelessly stealing gimmick Mike Leffel" Hall-Bachner /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:02:17 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Message-ID: <19970612.203344.14006.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I don't think this is a good name for one simple reason: It has three words in it!! All Their other albums (except Pinky) have either one or two word titles. Let's stick with tradtion. Josh Nielsen On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:52:54 -0400 (EDT) PaulLB@aol.com writes: >Anywho, I realize that this whole Matt's Life Saving bit started as a >joke >for the next album name, but I think it's pretty durn catchy! Any >ideas on >how we could pressure J & J into seriously considering this as a ligit >title? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706130255.VAA15300@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:45:30 -0500 PM > > I don't think this is a good name for one simple reason: It has three > words in it!! All Their other albums (except Pinky) have either one or > two word titles. Let's stick with tradtion. > Josh Nielsen > If we call it TRADITION, then the Fiddler On The Roof people will get mad!!! Mike "tradition...TRADITION!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:02:38 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706130402.XAA06541@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Play by e-mail game with a lot of TMBG references I am currently participating in a play by e-mail game called Ackanomic. How does this relate to TMBG? Because many of the players are fans, and hence many of the rules are inspired by TMBG. It's a very entertaining game, and is also somewhat intellectual (hence the high percentage of TMBG fans, perhaps), and I encourage you to check it out. It's difficult to explain -- I'll just say that it changes as time goes on, because the core element to the game is that the rules change as time goes on. New rules are created, old rules are destroyed, and current rules are amended. It's a lot of fun. The URL of the main web page is listed below. Take a look, it's fun. http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/ If you have any questions about the game, feel free to e-mail me directly. My name in the game is Robert Sevin, in case you want to know. Thanks, Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:57:55 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Different Music Message-ID: <19970612.211011.14006.5.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I like: Nirvana, Enya, Enigma, The Eels, Local H, Sublime, STP (not standard temperature and pressure), Nivana, Soundgarden, Weird Al, Bush, No Doubt, Matchbox 20, Blind Melon, The Butthole Surfers, Foo Fighters, Nivana, Foo Fighters, and Nirvana. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706130407.XAA16789@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:57:22 -0500 Recently I was ogling an ad in WIZARD: The Guide To Comics (I had a letter printed in there once, you know) that featured the Chicago ComicCon (which WIZARD recently bought) and I was a wishing I could go. Then the mysterious Matt James kept bugging me about where I lived, and he told me that his girlfriend Nicola had some pretty tasty cough drops. DOn't ask me..the guy's a nut! Then i was reflecting about the whole "THEY think we're psychos!' thing, and I was also wishing we couldv'e had more control over the whole birthday card thing (THEY AREN'T DUNCAN MCCLOUD, PEOPLE! GAA! ^_^) and then it hit me... If we were all in the dough, we could one day set up a self-serving Listie festival in some place on the globe and buy us all a concert of They! Wouldn't that be cool! HEE! We could have hot dogs and fountain pop! Oh, and we could have TMBG be our entertainment, and we could keep them in holding until they were done giving us a giggle. Mike "I'd really like some fried chicken right now.. and some potato salad. i wish we had a BOSTON MARKET.." Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:32:34 -0700 Subject: NON-TMBG: Icq Message-ID: <19970612.223237.13438.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) If anyone wants a copy of ICQ, just mail me and I will send the setup file to you from my jrtlgt@open.org address. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A0DD4B.3007@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:40:27 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Okay ...who wants to hate someone? A lot?? There was some fool smeghead moron blasphemist DJ who DELIBERATELY bashed TMBG AND a TMBG follower of JOHN LINNELL'S BIRTHDAY! We should hunt him down and shoot him and cause his computer a slow painful death due to lethal virii! I was at this celebration because I'm getting out of hell, I mean 8th grade. So we were doing this dance, you know, rap, rap, and a little bit of rap. The moron DJ even threw in some country, disco, and techno. So I went up at the beginning (I get very tired of rap very quickly) and asked for "Track #3" on WDTSS (Whirlpool, an AWESOME old Meat Puppets song). First thing he did, is deny to play it. He just handed back the CD about a half hour later. We (a friend of mine and Hansen) wrote a note reading the following: DJ: It's not like they're Satanists or anything. Just play the song. If you find ANYTHING obscene, you can bill me $10. Just remember me. I'm the kid with the long hair and the jean jacket. Listen to me. I'm serious. My friend wrote: I have a close relative who is a lawyer. You are violating the 1st Amendment, freedom of speech. I AM NOT THREATENING YOU! Everyone has a right. -The Smart People So this guy gets up and says, "Okay... I got a letter here, and I'm gonna read it to you." My frinds and I were quite elated until he began to read in a mocking voice. I then handed the CD to him and 10 seconds into the INTRO (no lyrics or ANYTHING), he stops it. "Scream if you want it to stop!" he says jokingly. After a scream ensues, he smugly hands me back my CD. I wrote him a letter of extreme hatred and left. I'm gonna get this guy's name and, hopefully, his e-mail address, and we're going to BURN HIM. He has personally humiliated a dedicated They fan, and has insulted John himself ON HIS BIRTHDAY! Let's smoke him! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:56:38 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706130556.AAA08567@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay >My friend wrote: > >I have a close relative who is a lawyer. You are violating the 1st Amendment, freedom >of speech. I AM NOT THREATENING YOU! Everyone has a right. > -The Smart People That is completely false, by the way. He is under no obligation to play the music you or your friend requested, and the 1st Amendment really has nothing to do with this. >So this guy gets up and says, "Okay... I got a letter here, and I'm gonna read it to >you." My frinds and I were quite elated until he began to read in a mocking voice. Your letter didn't exactly sound very polite or friendly. I can imagine why he didn't take it very well. >I then handed the CD to him and 10 seconds into the INTRO (no lyrics or ANYTHING), he >stops it. "Scream if you want it to stop!" he says jokingly. After a scream ensues, he >smugly hands me back my CD. I wrote him a letter of extreme hatred and left. I'm gonna >get this guy's name and, hopefully, his e-mail address, and we're going to BURN HIM. He >has personally humiliated a dedicated They fan, and has insulted John himself ON HIS >BIRTHDAY! Let's smoke him! There is nothing wrong with what he did -- if most of the people there don't want to hear TMBG, then the DJ should NOT play TMBG. The philosophy of most DJs (and indeed most people in charge of making sure social functions are successful) is Utilitarianism -- make the majority happy. I know, and you know, and probably everyone on this list knows, that TMBG make fine music. On the other hand, TMBG is by no means popular, and also not the sort of thing most people enjoy at parties/dances. I'm not saying you shouldn't request it, but don't be upset if the DJ doesn't play it... It's the same reason the radio seldom plays TMBG -- their job is to play what most people want to hear. TMBG is great, but it's not appealing to the masses, much to John & John's chagrin, I'm sure. Mitch ps -- It probably is illegal to harrass someone via e-mail, on the other hand, depending on how severely you do it, so I'd suggest you don't go through with that plan. Besides, it's not the most mature way to deal with the situation. Just play some TMBG and be happy. :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-163 ******************************