Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-164 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 164 Saturday, 14 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Larry's Musical Interests, Chronologically Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: Okay Re: TMBG: Okay Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Re: TMBG: Okay Re: TMBG: Larry's Musical Interests, Chronologically RE: TMBG: Hansen Re: TMBG: Okay TMBG:diff. music, ana ng, trades Re: TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Re: TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN! TMBG: MLS, the Man TMBG: Well....kids... Re: TMBG: Well....kids... Re: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. Re: TMBG: Different music Re: NON-TMBG: Okay TMBG: glass of milk, standing in between failing to get regents credit in the cold and explosive radiating growth... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-163 Non-TMBG: Hanson Non-TMBG: First amendment crap TMBG: TMBG-horrible day! Re: Non-TMBG: Hanson TMBG: thought for the day Re: Non-TMBG: Hanson TMBG: Different Music TMBG: M2 Block TMBG: DJs, SnailShell vinyl, Hanson Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Larry's Musical Interests, Chronologically Message-ID: <19970612.234520.5783.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 02:50:31 EDT 1986 - Bought his first tape, the Bangles "Different Light" 1987 - Saw the "Don't Let's Start" video and was highly intrigued. The UHF video show he watched paired them with the Dead Milkmen 1988 - First CD player - joined Columbia House and bought ditties like The Joshua Tree and Green 1990-91 - For some reason got fed up with contemporary music and listened to oldies, which unfortunately caused him to memorize the lyrics to every oldie that ever existed 1991 - Saw TMBG on Tiny Toons and realized they still existed. Bought Elvis Costello's Girls Girls Girls compilation and thought it was really cool. 2/1992 - Noticed Flood in the Columbia House catalog , thought "Hey, what the heck?" Then soon proclaimed TMBG as his favorite band, and brought him out of the oldies slump 4/1992 - Thrilled to learn that a new TMBG CD was coming out already. (If you don't know which one, ask someone else). Skipped lunch for two weeks in order to get it right away. 8/1992 - First heard Barenaked Ladies on KROQ's Loveline. (I didn't get a copy of it, but I do have video clips of it, which are featured in the Much Music bootleg, On Gordon Pond) 10/92 - Bought Gordon and soon had another favorite band. 1992-1993 - Proceeded to purchase the TMBG discography 1994-1995 - Basically stuck to BNL and TMBG as his favorite bands 7/96 - Listened to Ben Folds Five's Orange Album at Blockbuster Music's listening station after much world-of-mouth about them. Bought the CD after hearing the first 4 tracks. 11/96 - Blindly bought Moxy Fruvous' first album Bargainville and proceeded to like them too. 2/97 - Picked up Squirrel Nut Zippers' CD "Hot" and thought they were pretty cool. Well there you have it folks. Anyone else like to share their musical history? "Blood turns from blue into red 'Cause of oxygen that it's fed. But I turn back to blue 'Cause I'm losin' you." - Steven Page http://members.aol.com/GaritRN - All my bootlegs =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) Larry ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 03:03:41 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad Message-ID: <19970613070400.AAB1451@default> > Me: Hey, it's Flans! Can I have your autograph? > Flans: Hey, are you that Vlad guy? > Me: Err, yeah! You remember me? Cool! > Flans: Think I'm a fat-assed baby, do ya?! Come on, John! Let's get 'im! > > Hehe... I don't think Flans would really swear at you. You know how he apologises to his mother before IPI,.... Eric ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 03:03:41 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay Message-ID: <19970613070400.AAA1451@default> > Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:56:38 -0500 (CDT) > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > From: Mitchell Harding > Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay > Reply-to: Mitchell Harding > >My friend wrote: > > > >I have a close relative who is a lawyer. You are violating the 1st > Amendment, freedom > >of speech. I AM NOT THREATENING YOU! Everyone has a right. > > -The Smart People > > That is completely false, by the way. He is under no obligation to play the > music you or your friend requested, and the 1st Amendment really has nothing > to do with this. > > >So this guy gets up and says, "Okay... I got a letter here, and I'm gonna > read it to > >you." My frinds and I were quite elated until he began to read in a > mocking voice. > > Your letter didn't exactly sound very polite or friendly. I can imagine why > he didn't take it very well. > > > >I then handed the CD to him and 10 seconds into the INTRO (no lyrics or > ANYTHING), he > >stops it. "Scream if you want it to stop!" he says jokingly. After a > scream ensues, he > >smugly hands me back my CD. I wrote him a letter of extreme hatred and > left. I'm gonna > >get this guy's name and, hopefully, his e-mail address, and we're going to > BURN HIM. He > >has personally humiliated a dedicated They fan, and has insulted John > himself ON HIS > >BIRTHDAY! Let's smoke him! > > There is nothing wrong with what he did -- if most of the people there don't > want to hear TMBG, then the DJ should NOT play TMBG. The philosophy of most > DJs (and indeed most people in charge of making sure social functions are > successful) is Utilitarianism -- make the majority happy. I know, and you > know, and probably everyone on this list knows, that TMBG make fine music. > On the other hand, TMBG is by no means popular, and also not the sort of > thing most people enjoy at parties/dances. I'm not saying you shouldn't > request it, but don't be upset if the DJ doesn't play it... It's the same > reason the radio seldom plays TMBG -- their job is to play what most people > want to hear. > > TMBG is great, but it's not appealing to the masses, much to John & John's > chagrin, I'm sure. > > Mitch > > ps -- It probably is illegal to harrass someone via e-mail, on the other > hand, depending on how severely you do it, so I'd suggest you don't go > through with that plan. Besides, it's not the most mature way to deal with > the situation. Just play some TMBG and be happy. :) But burning him would be fun!! (and a suiting punishment) Eric ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 02:11:39 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706130711.CAA01084@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay >> ps -- It probably is illegal to harrass someone via e-mail, on the other >> hand, depending on how severely you do it, so I'd suggest you don't go >> through with that plan. Besides, it's not the most mature way to deal with >> the situation. Just play some TMBG and be happy. :) >But burning him would be fun!! >(and a suiting punishment) Eric I can see you carefully read my message, with your reasonable and well-argued response. Tell me you aren't serious, please. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 02:13:24 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706130713.CAA15506@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Vlad aint bad At 03:03 AM 6/13/97 +0000, you wrote: >> Me: Hey, it's Flans! Can I have your autograph? >> Flans: Hey, are you that Vlad guy? >> Me: Err, yeah! You remember me? Cool! >> Flans: Think I'm a fat-assed baby, do ya?! Come on, John! Let's get 'im! >> >> Hehe... >I don't think Flans would really swear at you. You know how he >apologises to his mother before IPI,.... Eric Flans does swear, though... I've been at many a concert where his language was, well, less than socially acceptable. Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem to be true, despite the minimum of foul language on the albums... Mitch ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 03:16:16 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay Message-ID: <19970613071635.AAA1638@default> > I can see you carefully read my message, with your reasonable and > well-argued response. > > Tell me you aren't serious, please. > > Mitch > I'm just kidding. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry's Musical Interests, Chronologically Date: Sat, 14 Jun 97 00:50:05 PDT | | Well there you have it folks. Anyone else like to share their musical | history? | As best I can remember.... 1977-ish: First cassette tape. It was either the soundtrack to Pete's Dragon, or Donnie and Marie. 1982: First MTV Video: Is There Something I Should Know? By Duran Duran. 1985: First Concert: a-ha. 10/31/1987: 2 musical moments: 1) first heard the song "I Hear The Rain" by Violent Femmes, they've been my ultra-favorite band ever since. 2) First saw the movie "Pink Floyd, The Wall" 1988-1989: The 12" years. Depeche Mode is the band of choice more often than not, although New Order, Love and Rockets, and Erasure rank high on the list. First hearing of TMBG "Don't Let's Start", video of same soon thereafter. Summer 1990: Upon hearing Coil's version of "Tainted Love", cover tunes become my ultra-favorite musical genre ever since. 4/3/1993: First CD: Surprise Your Pig, A Tribute to REM 4/10/93: My first CD player, a 5 disc changer. My next four CD's are purchased: Pearl Jam, NME Singles of the Week 1992, Gin Blossoms, Soul Asylum May 1993: The CD Player steals Pearl Jam from me, sending a message from God that I really shouldn't be listening to that band. May or June 1995: My first TMBG concert May 1997: Furthest distance ever traveled for a concert: 3,000 miles (Portland, OR - Boston, MA). Coming soon: 100th CD added to the collection (300+ cassette tapes, 100+ vinyl) Favorite musicians of the moment: Violent Femmes Depeche Mode Crazy 8's TMBG Crash Test Dummies Sarah McLachlan Iggy Pop Brian Setzer Orchestra The Selecter John Williams (esp. Star Wars tunes) Michelle ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 13 Jun 1997 19:01:59 +1000 Message-ID: <000EFBA5.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: RE: TMBG: Hansen ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- >Hey, you guys remember Hansen, right? The newbie TMBG-lover? I'm quite proud >of him... >he's gone and bought Then, has listened to each CD about 6 times, driven his p >arents >nuts (his dad hates TMBG now), and is now a "digestie!" > >Pretty quick development from an old die-hard Weird Al fan, eh? Well, I still happen to have a lot of wierd al stuff at home, but I consider myself to be a TMBG nut (not a TMBG freak... there's a difference). On a completely unrelated topic... I am in a total TMBG wasteland. I've just finsished asking everyone I work with if they liked They and the results were horrific... 67 People said "Who?" 4 People said "They're those Istanbul People right?" and one said "They did that 'head falls off' thing. They're lame" *sob* Thank god I can still sit here and read my list ;) Andrew Callaghan - Choosing to fight the good fight in time to fail (bonus points if you can name the band this comes from) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:46:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: Okay by Mitchell Harding@mail.ut > request it, but don't be upset if the DJ doesn't play it... It's the same > reason the radio seldom plays TMBG -- their job is to play what most people > want to hear. it's one thing to not play it. it's something completely different, though, to a) assume that everyone in the room hates it, b) assume that it sucks before playing it, c) openly declare that he believes it sucks without even hearing it, d) respond as he did. He could have simply been polite and said "Sorry, I don't think this will go over well with most of the crowd." (not to mention that the Meat Puppets' version of Whirlpool is quite an excellent song, and, IMHO, would make a great song to play at a dance... TMBG's version is... er, too sedate for that) but frankly, I hate DJs (or people in general) who make fun of people because of their musical tastes (note, I didn't say it was wrong to make fun of the music, itself, but the people who listen to it have a right to...) ------------------------------ From: Madcup1@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:15:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970613091452_-1698224310@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG:diff. music, ana ng, trades >Okay, here's the deal. Everyone's gotta give ME >their net handle and e-mail address who wants to >be a part of this. I'm gonna go get a cool >little card from the store and send it to >Restless with the following note attached: >DAMNIT!!!!!! I sure picked a fine time to be >away from the list for a few weeks! I wish my >name/address had gotten on the card. This sucks >very much bad. Yeah...I was off during that period of time, also. Kinda sucks, but maybe next year... >>The person who likes everything lacks the faculty of appreciation. >> > > What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you actually >suggesting that we should only listen to They Might Be Giants?!! Am I the >only one here with an extensive record collection? Are you saying this to >everyone with an extensive record collection? I, too know the pain of being criticized for my large record collection (Beatles, TMBG, SNZ, Mighty Bosstones, Whitetown, Soul Coughing, Many 80's albums). Don't feel bad; LISTEN TO WHAT YOU LIKE AND DON'T CONDEMN THOSE WHO THINK DIFFERENTLY!!! >when you listen to all the >b-side/unreleased tracks and let the CD skip around to Ana Ng, it's amazing >how clean and masterfully put together it is... Anyone else catch this? Ana Ng IS a masterpiece... even in concert.... it is by far my favorite song Also, does ANYONE have "Stumpbox", "Free when you call from work" and/or "The Power of DAS" who is willing to trade for blanks? - Jeff ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:37:22 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy Message-ID: On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > >'The man' isn't referring to the little guy on the Why Does The Sun Shine? EP? > > No, his proper name is "The Little Purple Guy." (Or perhaps it's just "The > Purple Guy," I'm not sure.) Nevertheless, "THE MAN" (*especially* when > capitalized) is the Opressor, *not* the guy on WDTSS. Please, people, > precision is all-important in these matters. Oh, I beg to differ. (please, please let me differ!) If you look at the catalog on tmbg.com and you get these t-shirt descriptions: (t27) The Man Shirt (xl only) Big happy purple guy from TMBG's Why Does The Sun Shine? Record cover with bright green lettering on the back. (t2) Baby Man Shirt (baby size 4t only) That big happy guy in green and orange on a heathered grey shirt, perfect for all baby Giants fans As you can see, "big happy purple guy," is not capitalized or written to look like a name at all. it's just "That big happy guy" on the second one. The name given to the shirt clearly shows that he is called "THE MAN!" You just have to keep straight in your mind which one he is -- the Oppressor or the big happy purple guy. They can have the same name. No harm done. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:44:35 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Message-ID: On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > >Um, no. "That Guy" is William Allen White, the dude whose photo appears in > >about half of TMBG's videos at one point or another. "THE MAN" is Whitey, > >the oppressor, the person who puts you DOWN. Capiche? > > 'The man' isn't referring to the little guy on the Why Does The Sun Shine? EP? Yes, it is, because that's what the catalog calls him. If it were "That Guy," I would have called it, I don't know... the "Big Head" or "The enigmatic head from many of TMBG's videos" as it says IN THE CATALOG, because what else do I have to go on? What else matters? Nothing! Nothing, I say! "The enigmatic head from many of TMBG's videos on a black oversize shirt. Huge TMBG on back!" -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706131546.AA01050@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:46:00 -0400 (EDT) > > No, his proper name is "The Little Purple Guy." (Or perhaps it's just "The > > Purple Guy," I'm not sure.) Nevertheless, "THE MAN" (*especially* when Please, people, can we keep our little, happy, purple guys in our pants? ;) I agree with Lawrence about the DJ situation. The guy should have just said "no" and it should have been over with. Actually, there seemed to be some provocation on both ends, Vlad almost seemed to be forcing the guy to play it even after he said no, yet the DJ did go on to ridicule and insult him. I guess I might be a little pissed too, but he probably should have just say "no, go away". /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:50:17 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN!" Message-ID: On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > >All I'm going to say is, I wouldn't have a tattoo of THE MAN. > > Um, no. "That Guy" is William Allen White, the dude whose photo appears in > about half of TMBG's videos at one point or another. "THE MAN" is Whitey, > the oppressor, the person who puts you DOWN. Capiche? (replying to all relevant posts:) And what about when someone says, "you're the man!" as in "you're the bomb!" See. One thing *can* have different meanings. Capiche? > If, after all that, you actually *do* have a tattoo of THE MAN, I first give > a tip of the hat to your inventive tattoo, then I run away, because you're > probably a Nazi. No... no... Lani is not a Satanist. She is not posing as an easy-listening Nazi rock band trying to lure intellectuals into believing what they already know to be true. No. Listen to the sound of my voice. Put away your big blue cigars. And make way... yes, make way, ladies and gentlemen... for THE MAN! :) -Lani O:) "You the man!" lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706131559.AA01068@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said, "THE MAN! Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:59:55 -0400 (EDT) > No... no... Lani is not a Satanist. She is not posing as an easy-listening > Nazi rock band trying to lure intellectuals into believing what they > already know to be true. No. Listen to the sound of my voice. Put away > your big blue cigars. And make way... yes, make way, ladies and > gentlemen... for THE MAN! :) I'm honored to make way for the Man here in Nashville, no honored is not the right word, honored's not a word at all, what language am I speaking? Hello? Hello? /Matt *grin* -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:41:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970613105248_-261508944@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: MLS, the Man >Anywho, I realize that this whole Matt's Life >Saving bit started as a joke for the next album >name, but I think it's pretty durn catchy! Any >ideas on how we could pressure J & J into >seriously considering this as a ligit title? >Maybe even enclude a title track dedicated to >their drooling internet fandom. Just a thought >(felt nice, I'll have to make an effort think >more often). I thought of this too. :) I'd *like* to think it possible, but I'm sure it is *impossible*. :( Well, who knows. Everyone start mentioning it at concerts, maybe They'll get the hint. ;) > If, after all that, you actually *do* have a tattoo of THE MAN LOL, after all this _the man_ tatoo talk, to keep myself awake last night to watch Conan (have to watch Conan), I drew the purple happy guy on the inside of my left ankle. I can make him do a groovy dance like Pete's tatoo Petunia on Pete+Pete. ;) sarah:) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: Well....kids... Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:02:00 -0700 Well kids, it is time to say good bye. I'm sitting here in school, which gets over in let's see 45 minutes. so. i guess i'll get back on the list next fall. but i don't know how the heck i'm going to find out any news about tmbg. I'll bet they could die and i wouldn't find out until september. oh well chow for now brenden - nednerb AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies ~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ misuser of verbs *sob* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970613151926.0069f030@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:19:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Well....kids... If you have a computer and a modem, you might want to sign up for Juno's free e-mail service. If you're using school computers right now, you might want to establish a HoTMaiL account (http://www.hotmail.com), have the mail sent there, and check it whenever you can (when at a friend's house, at the library, etc.). TTYL, -Adam At 12:02 PM 6/13/97 -0700, you wrote: >Well kids, it is time to say good bye. I'm sitting here in school, >which gets over in let's see 45 minutes. so. i guess i'll get back on >the list next fall. but i don't know how the heck i'm going to find out >any news about tmbg. I'll bet they could die and i wouldn't find out >until september. oh well > >chow for now > >brenden - nednerb >AKA - The Hypnotist of LAdies >~in alliance w/ the vigilant philibuster~ > misuser of verbs > > >*sob* > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. Date: 10 Jun 1997 16:32:05 GMT Message-ID: <5njvi5$15r$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <3.0.32.19970609175440.006dbfe4@peseta.ucdavis.edu>, Nicole the Wonder Nerd writes: > Lactose intolerance Anyone remember the Kate and Kari show from waaaay back? Daniel ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:22:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970613172218_1891052910@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Different music Alright, people. I'm gonna say this once. SHUT UP about whether one "should" or "should not" listen to just TMBG or just alternative, but never Hansen, or have broad musical interests or have just one goddamn cd!!!!!!!!!...........I DON"T CARE!!!!!!! It is not important!!!!!!!! We are here to talk about a band that we all hold dear to our hearts!!!!! We are not here to criticize anybody's musical tastes!!!!! This is not directed at anyone in particular, incidentally. Where was I. Ah, yes. We are here to talk about the albums, bootlegs, unreleased stuff, what the Johns are up to, and interesting TMBG related (and occasional informative or amusing unrelated) things. Now, i know that it's great that everyone has his or her own opinion regarding these things, but really, TMBG are Brooklyn's Embassador's of Love, and, in honor of them and because I would anyways, I consider myself to be a sort of a junior Embassador of Love as well. Love is a good thing. I support it. And it doesn't involve arguing and getting mean for no good reason. And as a lover of Love, I beg you to stop with your silly wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you. SUZZIE5808 Junior Embassador of Love ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:37:51 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706132137.QAA13780@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Okay >it's one thing to not play it. it's something completely different, >though, to a) assume that everyone in the room hates it, b) assume that >it sucks before playing it, c) openly declare that he believes it sucks >without even hearing it, d) respond as he did. > >He could have simply been polite and said "Sorry, I don't think this >will go over well with most of the crowd." I'm not saying the DJ was polite, but they are not in the habit of playing obscure music they've never heard of. The DJ could have handled the situation differently, but the main point of my response was that the DJ wasn't being unreasonable, only impolite. >but frankly, I hate DJs (or people in general) who make fun of people >because of their musical tastes (note, I didn't say it was wrong to make >fun of the music, itself, but the people who listen to it have a right >to...) I don't recall the DJ making fun on him for his taste, just mocking his attempts to try and make the DJ play the song. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A18CC9.39C@baka.com> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:09:13 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: glass of milk, standing in between failing to get regents credit in the cold and explosive radiating growth... OK. So I'm taking my biology final exam. It sucks. A lot. Then, out of the blue pops this wonderful question: How many chambers does the heart of a mammal have? Considering I have learned something(though very little) this year, I probably would have been able to answer the question regardless of TMBG, but does anyone want to venture a guess as to what song was stuck in my head through the rest of the test? Here's a hint: It's not MMMBop. Or anything by Alanis Morissette. > > Recently I was ogling an ad in WIZARD: The Guide To > Comics (I had a letter printed in there once, you know) Whoa. No kidding. Me too. Though it was e-mailed from a different, dead aol account with an even stupider adress than my current one, causing me to lose all bragging rights when I left aol, I was the first person to send an e-mail that won their coveted Bunny Award. re: the DJ fiasco God, I hate DJs. Especially ones who won't aknowledge my requests or my anti-requests.At the beginning of almost any dance, I will request that they not play any oasis, alanis, or spice girls for the duration of the evening. And do they listen? Noooooo. And they won't even play istanbul. Hell, I don't even LIKE that song. I just request it because it's relatively dancable and DJs have heard of it. -- "I trust you will tell me if I am making a fool of myself"-Pavement "He died grinning on live TV"-XTC Jonah, whose heart is made of gravy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970613204123.006e7b80@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:49:27 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-163 >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:11:26 -0400 (EDT) >Message-Id: <199706130311.XAA16300@cyber1.servtech.com> >From: Joshua Hall-Bachner >Subject: TMBG: Marilyn Hanson Vs. The Purple Guy >>-I wouldn't listen to Adam Ant >Heh! I knew *someone* had to go the other way on "XTC Vs. Adam Ant"! That's nothing... I can't stand either of 'em :) BTW I just wanted to say: I live to read Mike Leffel's sigs :) - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeee..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970613203834.006e7728@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:49:25 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: Non-TMBG: Hanson >Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:35:48 +0100 (BST) >Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970607151124.2e8f6b48@popmail.dircon.co.uk> >From: Joe Keith >Subject: Re: (Non-)TMBG: Different music > >I happen to quite like MMMBop (Hanson). THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been carrying around this guilty little pleasure that I've been afraid to reveal for fear of getting mocked forevermore... but yes, I find MMMBop a catchy, happy song as well. I actually bought the CD single and have been listening to it (over headphones so my roommates don't find out :) ) - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeee....." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970613204854.006e7d10@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:49:29 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: Non-TMBG: First amendment crap >Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:56:38 -0500 (CDT) >Message-Id: <199706130556.AAA08567@mail.utexas.edu> >From: Mitchell Harding >Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay >>My friend wrote: >>I have a close relative who is a lawyer. You are violating the 1st >>Amendment, freedom >>of speech. I AM NOT THREATENING YOU! Everyone has a right. >> -The Smart People >That is completely false, by the way. He is under no obligation to play the >music you or your friend requested, and the 1st Amendment really has nothing >to do with this. - Jim Stein "And the Matt's Life Savings scares meeee..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970613203600.006da10c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:49:23 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: TMBG-horrible day! >Message-ID: <33A08631.7B6D@geocities.com> >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:28:49 -0700 >From: vlad_drakul >Subject: TMBG: HOORAY! > >What a great day! As celebration of Linny's birthday, I have: > >1. BOUGHT Why Does the Sun Shine? for SEVEN DOLLARS. >2. Got my sorry ass out of hell- I mean, Middle School. >3. Requested a large TMBG block n celebration of Linnellmas. > >Now I'm gonna go hit IRC and celebrate! What a HORRIBLE day for me! 1. Found out that Linnelmas was yesterday (had been anticipating it, but didn't know the _exact_ date, and I just started reading the list with "Don't forget today is Linnelmas!" messages from YESTERDAY :( ) 2. Went to my Ohio State undergraduate commencement... which got RAINED OUT... it poured on us 'til we couldn't even hear the loudspeaker any more and we were all soaked to the skin... 3. Tried to cheer myself up by buying some TMBG CDs and such and couldn't find anything I don't have around Columbus :( BTW I agree that Matt's Life Savings got annoying when it started getting used to confuse newbies but is actually pretty catchy... - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeeeee..." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:22:20 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Hanson Message-ID: <19970613.212221.4494.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:49:25 -0400 "D. James Stein" writes: >THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been carrying around this guilty little >pleasure that I've been afraid to reveal for fear of getting mocked >forevermore... but yes, I find MMMBop a catchy, happy song as well. I >actually bought the CD single and have been listening to it (over >headphones so my roommates don't find out :) ) Yes, I like the song too. Can you believe that song made it to #1 in the VH1 top ten countdown?! I'll bet all of the other adults in the countdown feel pretty stupid! Jewel is still barely hanging on at #10. CLIMB BACK UP GIRL!!! ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: thought for the day Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:45:37 EST Message-Id: <199706140145.3396600@cyberia.com> Ok... I know has been a long time. But I have a question..... First, I should explain. I am an golfer... ok, here goes. If John and John cared enough to be in the US Open, we know one of them would win.. but which one? And... what would each score? This would be cool especially because we don't want Colin Montgomerie to win. Oh, well... see you later all. Steve ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:13:38 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970613231338_-1698151955@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Hanson Can we stop the Hanson talk NOW? Besides the fact that i HATE and DESPISE Hanson, and besides the fact that they make me want to vomit with their unoriginality and pathetic lyrics, but this IS a tmbg list, and i dont want to be reminded of HANSON everytime i go to read my mail. And while were at it, i dont know if its stopped yet, but keep any fighting in private e-mail. Hopefully this will be the last non-tmbg message ill have to say to the list. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A213B5.3689@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:44:55 -0400 From: Eric Near Subject: TMBG: Different Music Goodness, I love all kinds of music: TMBG BNL The Beatles (this has a sub-category) Wings (of course) Traveling Wilburys John Lennon Paul McCartney George Harrison Ringo Starr, et al. Badinger No Doubt The Wallflowers Shawn Colvin Dave Matthews Band The Verve Pipe Weird Al (although he's losing my interest quickly) Tom Petty, et al. Hanson (I find them a fresh new sound, kind of...) Supertramp Adam Ant, et al. John (anything here) Mellencamp Elton John Alanis Morissette Del Amitri (cool new band!) Blessid Union of Souls (good ol' Ohio band!) George Gershwin Handel Beethoven and tons more... -Eric ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970614011455.00735b64@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:14:58 -0400 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: TMBG: M2 Block Wow! I just got M2, I turned it on as the Istanbul Video ended. What followed? Birdhouse. After that? Snail Shell. I'm currently watching the video fo Statue. This is very cool. Not to say that Russ's videos aren't great, but digital stereo quality they're not. I love this station. =============================-----Jeff-Morrow-----========================== ======== jmorrow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ======== ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:44:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970614014447_-194326256@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DJs, SnailShell vinyl, Hanson Hello 41- First the TMBG part- I found a 12" of Snail Shell and ordered it from CD Europe. They previously have not sent me stuff, but we'll see how it goes. Does anybody have this? DJs- While I was living in Orlando, I worked at Pleasure Island which is a Disney theme park that had several dance clubs in it. There was the PI street party, which was like the radio station when you weren't in a club. I got in good with the guy by making him food, but sometimes (like in Disney) he doesn't supply his own music. But a lot do. And eventhough I really don't like the band, I'll always request "Panic" by the Smiths, and see if the guy gets it. Somtimes they do. Hanson- For everybody's information, MMMBop did reach #1 in the singles charts, I don't know if it's still there. 8^P Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-164 ******************************