Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-165 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 165 Sunday, 15 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-164 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-164 TMBG: Power Rangers, out of touch DJ. Re: TMBG: Different Music non-TMBG: thought for the day TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said: "Welcome to hell, eh?" TMBG: Bye bye Re: TMBG: Bye bye TMBG: Even more Hanson NonTMBG: Even more Hanson TMBG: NEXT TIME ON THE JACKIE SMAZZ SHOW!!!!>.... TMBG: TODAY, ON THE JACKIE SMAZZ SHOW!!!...... Re: TMBG: Different Music NON-TMBG: !BRIAN DEWAN NYC SHOW! TMBG: Oh, the updates! TMBG: "Like Danny Akroyd, only fatta" NON-TMBG: BFF TMBG: Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said Request Lines Were Open Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970614025250.006da998@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 03:03:27 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-164 >Message-ID: >From: "Michelle" >Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry's Musical Interests, Chronologically >Date: Sat, 14 Jun 97 00:50:05 PDT > >| >| Well there you have it folks. Anyone else like to share their musical >| history? >| Ohhh God, here we go again with the "thread that fills up my a.f.tmbg digest with crap I don't wanna read with an average message size of 12k" ;) Speaking of, how has TMBG changed your life? - Jim Stein ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970614030206.006daeb4@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 03:03:28 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-164 >From: Jordan1c@aol.com >Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:13:38 -0400 (EDT) >Message-ID: <970613231338_-1698151955@emout19.mail.aol.com> >Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Hanson > >Can we stop the Hanson talk NOW? Besides the fact that i HATE and DESPISE >Hanson, TMBG newsgroups frequently go off-topic. Deal with it. If you don't like a thread, killfile or just skip it. >Hopefully this will be the last non-tmbg message ill have to say to the list. I think I speak for most of us when I say I hope you don't say anything similar again, too. - Jim Stein "Youth Hansons Killed My Dog" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A33321.6002@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:11:13 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: TMBG: Power Rangers, out of touch DJ. Good evening, I think Linnel is the stunt-double for the pink ranger and Flans is the stunt-double for the white ranger. As for DJs, at my year 12 ball I asked the DJ if he had any TMBG CDs with him. He just goes "sorry, who?". I say foreget it. He just played tacky commerical techno all night. The best song he played was 'lump' which is pretty sad because I hate that song. (I'm not saying that others should hate PUSA just because I do, It is my opinion. so there) It made the night suck so if you can, try to get the DJ to play stuff that you like. If the DJ is anything like the old geezer that I had at my ball they can be appaulingly out of touch. Tom "never heard a Hanson song and not too upset either" Ewing ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970614081228.0081fe50@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:12:28 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Different Music At 11:44 PM 6/13/97 -0400, Eric Near wrote: >Goodness, I love all kinds of music: > >TMBG >BNL >The Beatles (this has a sub-category) This had better not become a thread. The Magical Armchair is just getting over a bout with Top Ten Bands lists.... and this looks to have the possibility to be as annoying as those were. -ec and re: hanson yes. mmbopp is a damn catchy pop tune. One catchy #1 single doesn't mean a band will be around a long time... there have been one-hit wonders before, there will be more in the future. And a band doesn't have to be good to be popular. Welcome to Mainstream USA... and... re: hanson Why are they so popular anyway? Is it the sex appeal? ;) -ec ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:32:52 +0100 (BST) From: "D. Robertson" Subject: non-TMBG: thought for the day Message-ID: On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, The Christ Family wrote: > This would be cool especially because we don't want Colin Montgomerie to > win. Oh, well... see you later all. Um, can I ask why you don't want Colin Montogomerie to win? I'm supporting him all the way. __________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson "When he gets very excited about playing his Derwent College favourite songs he jumps up and down in a University of York very endearing way. When he's extremely Heslington excited about playing his favourite songs York he falls off the stage." YO1 5DD Where bad jokes and poor design collide... Flumcake On-line: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake Channel F: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/channelf __________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 09:43:11 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: So I rolled down the window and said: "Welcome to hell, eh?" Message-Id: Well, it seems like I leave the country for three days, and already people are mad at me, on one side, for "newbie bashing" and the other for "fandom bashing". Regarding newbie bashing, I have no problem with newbies at all. They just make me finish my e-mail quicker. Everyone was a newbie at some point. I was about 2 years ago, hey, even Lord Leffel hasn't been around for a full year! (I don't think) So anyway, I have no problem with newbies. But if it means that much to you Evan, fine. I dub thee sir Notanewbie of Kleveland. As for Fandom bashing, tough. I'm entitled to my opinion. I'll admit that i'm pretty sick myself, but only to a point. Reality must shine through the curtains. Regarding my weird subject of my last post, It was an elongated version of I've never met a girl like you before. If anyone wants to see this video that flans directed, and has animation by mr millionaire, and Brian might be in it, it's at the end of Empire Records, after the credits. Rob Grabill. "Stuck his hand in a snowblower and... ouch." "Lose any fingers?" "Nope, got 'em right here" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706141351.JAA06917@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 97 09:49 EDT From: "J.L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: Bye bye Well, there's probably no one on this list that still remembers me.. :) I was more active last year, and I got a lot of you to the E-town show last April (giving you directions since it was my home town). I've been lurking and reading for a long time, but I'm almost 8 months pregnant and I'm just too tired and busy, so... Bye! Rest assured, I'll be raising a They baby -- she already hears a lot of Them! All of y'all take it easy, hang loose, stay groovy, be spiffy and maybe I'll see you again in a while. :) -j.l. (a.k.a. jennifer and the bean) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970614111346.0081ee90@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:13:46 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Bye bye J.L. Moquin wrote: >I'll be raising a They baby -- she already hears a lot of Them! All >of y'all take it easy, hang loose, stay groovy, be spiffy and maybe >I'll see you again in a while. :) Are you so sure about that? My parents played the Mamas And The Papas, and Simon And Garfunkle, and Chicago all the time when I was younger. Now I can't stand (most of) that stuff! -ec ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Even more Hanson Message-ID: <19970614.091154.5775.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:17:05 EDT I, too, like the song MMMM Bop. I actually bought the single before it became a hit back in April, because I read a blurb about them in Entertainment Weekly about how they're the next Jackson 5....The album itself is pretty standard stuff (I don't own it, I just heard it) but the single itself is rockin'. Larry "Blood turns from blue into red 'Cause of oxygen that it's fed. But I turn back to blue 'Cause I'm losin' you." - Steven Page http://members.aol.com/GaritRN - All my bootlegs =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) Larry ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970614130340.00815d30@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:03:40 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: NonTMBG: Even more Hanson At 12:17 PM 6/14/97 EDT, Larry Santiago wrote: >I, too, like the song MMMM Bop. I actually bought the single before it >became a hit back in April, because I read a blurb about them in >Entertainment Weekly about how they're the next Jackson 5....The album >itself is pretty standard stuff (I don't own it, I just heard it) but >the single itself is rockin'. The next Jackson Five? So which one of them will grow up to be a child molesting freak? [1] ... And will all three use the oxygen tent? [1] alleged Evan "Making fun of Michael Jackson, or making fun of Hanson? YOU MAKE THE CALL!" Chakroff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706141747.MAA04487@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: NEXT TIME ON THE JACKIE SMAZZ SHOW!!!!>.... Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:37:03 -0500 > [1] alleged > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ^_^ > Evan > "Making fun of Michael Jackson, or making fun of Hanson? YOU MAKE THE CALL!" > Chakroff Eeew.... What if MJ has them over for the night to... JAM??? BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!! Mike "I'll show you my singles if you show me yours!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706141747.MAA04483@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: TODAY, ON THE JACKIE SMAZZ SHOW!!!...... Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:34:47 -0500 ---------- > Everyone was a newbie at some point. I > was about 2 years ago, hey, even Lord Leffel hasn't been around for a full > year! (I don't think) Yes, but not only did I already own all the albums when I signed on, I read whatever i could about them on the web before I ever asked a question or such. And besides, I'm Mike Leffel. I don't apply. Mike "As newbie as Jesus" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A316D7.76BF@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:10:32 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Different Music > and... re: hanson > Why are they so popular anyway? Is it the sex appeal? ;) Yeah... I guess women are more into the "12 year old girl" look now. Its pretty sad. You know, Ive never actually heard that silly song, just seen the video with the volume all the way down. It really annoyed me. He who felt like sharing- Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:42:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970614154223_407208238@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: !BRIAN DEWAN NYC SHOW! this is an exact copy of what i just sent to the news group, sorry if you read both and its redundant i know, i just crawl out of my hole to advertise, you can scold me if u want... tsk tsk email me if u need more details * ------------------------------ ~Ersatz Musicale~ Brian Dewan, Dan Prater, Paul Scher, David Scher Thurs June 19th $8, 8:00 pm Greenwich House Music School 46 Barrow St everyone should come.. cuz its gonna be really neat! and because i say so! and because its the day before my birthday.... hmph! ~liz ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199706142217.SAA21123@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Oh, the updates! Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:17:28 -0400 (EDT) I started today with 1800 e-mails in my tmbg mail box and I've sorted through all but 15 of them. As I can't reply to 1800 e-mails individually I thought I would try outlineing the major updates here. First, all of the aliases should be up to date. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't ask. Second, we have a few more MIDI files, including Mrs. Train, The Famous Polka, and Cowtown. Keep the good ones coming in. Thrid, many of the minor corrections that have been pointed out were finally made. You'll see that several of the covers that TMBG do now have the proper authors. Please continue to point out errors in the site. We may not get to them right away, but we will get to them. Fourth, I have amassed quite a lot of Mono Puff material, but as I hardly have time to keep up with TMBG there is no way I can get this on the Mono Puff web site. I am looking for someone to take charge of this site. All I need to do is see an outline of the site, and a prototype front page and I'll let you do it. If you're seriously interested please e-mail me. Fifth, Jon is working hard on the new interps, including a new format for them. I believe he's been doing a good job of keeping up to date with them as well. Sixth, I updated some of the mailing list software which should result in quicker mail delivery. Gotta keep you up to date on TMBGisims. I have a few items on my to-do list, and some of them could use additional helpers: - I have many chords that need to be formatted and put up. - I have lyrics for several songs that need to be formatted and put up. - All of the songs on "Then: The Earlier Years" still need to be double checked, and have the right cross-references added. - I want to create a database for "personal page links" so users can enter and update their personal page links online without us having to do that manually. I COULD USE A HELPER FOR THIS. Requirements would be some web experience, as well as the ability to program in perl and C. If you're interested in developing this application for me and have the time please e-mail me. - I am still working on an improved database idea for the song index that would allow you to see parts of the song index and reduce the download time. I'm having trouble making this work, and I could use a helper experienced with dynamic web pages, perl and C. Database experience is a plus. Oh yeah, we received another award, a "Garry". -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:39:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970614183931_-1429828536@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "Like Danny Akroyd, only fatta" >I agree with Lawrence about the DJ situation. >The guy should have just said "no" and it >should have been over with. Actually, there >seemed to be some provocation on both ends, >Vlad almost seemed to be forcing the guy to >play it even after he said no, yet the DJ did go >on to ridicule and insult him. I guess I might >be a little pissed too, but he probably should >have just say "no, go away". Yeah. Think about it, had you been the dj and the kid in question was a (insert genre/artist you HATE) fan with his fave cd, you might have done nearly the same thing. Although I don't think there was a need for the dj to be such a jerk about it. People are. What can you do. >SHUT UP about whether one "should" or "should >not" listen to just TMBG or just alternative, >but never Hansen, or have broad musical >interests or have just one goddamn >cd!!!!!!!!!...........I DON"T CARE!!!!!!! It is >not important!!!!!!!! We are here to talk about >a band that we all hold dear to our hearts!!!!! With all due respect here, I've said this a lot; and I'll say it again. If you don't like a topic, no one is forcing you to read it. I don't believe there is a single thread that will ever please everyone. It doesn't seem very fair to tell everyone what to post/not to post just because you don't like it, does it? >We are here to talk about the albums, bootlegs, >unreleased stuff, what the Johns are up to, and >interesting TMBG related (and occasional >informative or amusing unrelated) things. I'm not backing up the 'war' bit of the thread, but I find the other cd's thread to be an occasional informative unrelated thing. ::shrug:: >How many chambers does the heart of a mammal have? ::squeal:: I was actually going to mention this last week and forgot!! :D I took the same test and instantly smiled when I read that!! :D >BTW I just wanted to say: I live to read Mike >Leffel's sigs :) As do I . >If John and John cared enough to be in the US >Open, we know one of them would win.. but which >one? And... what would each score? Flans. Just because he would look, well, normal in golfing clothes. ;) Linnell, I cannot picture. Oops, I think I misinterpreted your question. Oh well. :) Oh hey guys, I bought BFF's "Whatever and Ever Amen" yesterday. 8) I loooove it. And I *can't* be the only one here to think "Fair" is their next single. sarah:) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 20:18:39 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF Message-Id: Just so you all know, BFF will be on MTV on the Jenny Mcarthy show tonite at 10 eastern time. They will be performing 1 angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces are you. I know that this IS the next single. So sarah, I'm sorry. Fair is a great song, but this gets single priority over fair. Then Steven's last night in town. BTW, I just bought the self titled album. Great stuff. Rob Grabill. "I feel like a quote out of context." -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:49:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970614224949_172698003@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said Request Lines Were Open It's that time of the day. You know that time. The time at around 4:30 in the afternoon on a hot and sweaty Sunday, when the radio stations play only the really old songs. And then they say, "Request lines are WIDE ope n." And before you know it you have the phone in your hand and you are dialing. Your local DJ answers and says"Hello. This is 107.7 The End or(say your radio station here)" You tell them to play something cool. Something, risque. You tell the man (or woman, it doesn't matter to me.) to crank the They Might Be Giants. You recieve a half hearted "I'll see what I can do." Your heart sinks, you hang up, and you wait. Hours go by. Nothing. You hear the 2nd Green Day song in an hour. Nothing. You hear "By request we have an old favorite, Ironic by Alaniss Morisette (nothing personal Alaniss, you are just an example)" You wait longer. You get your friend to call and request the latest song. And lo and behold, the next song is their request. If this sounds familiar to you, your dog may be a victim of a truly senseless crime. This crime is a crime of brutality. Your dog as well as many other people's dogs across America have been a victim of Youth Culture Homicide. And they have just killed your dog. Please, this is a true story, the names have not been changed to incriminate the guilty. Please don't be afraid. This was not meant to scare you, only to inform you. Thanks for your time. Graham "Leroy Watkins" Amsden ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-165 ******************************