Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-167 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 167 Tuesday, 17 June 1997 Today's Topics: Non-TMBG: I am mike leffel's BIGGEST FAN! TMBG: Re: Flansburgh's Guitar Coffin Re: TMBG: The Giants TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-165 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-166 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-166 Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons Non-TMBG: Off topic threads TMBG: Are you calling me a liar? TMBG: I am cool. TMBG: a week off (none) TMBG: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons Re: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons Fw: Non-TMBG: I am mike leffel's BIGGEST FAN! Re: TMBG: "Like Danny Akroyd, only fatta" Re: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons TMBG: Did something cool Re: TMBG: I am cool. Re: TMBG: need setlists TMBG: birthday boy (clarification) NON:TMBG: EMERGENCY!!! TMBG: New Download-a-Song Service TMBG: Snorks TMBG: Passin the dude Re: TMBG: birthday boy Non-TMBG: Off Topic and No Subject Messages TMBG: Vinyl Re: Non-TMBG: Off Topic and No Subject Messages TMBG: Cub Re: TMBG: Cub TMBG: IE4/DAS Online/Hotel Detective (none) Re: TMBG: non tmbg.. hanson and stuff... kinda TMBG: Istanbul Video Re: NON-TMBG: Cub Re: TMBG: Istanbul Video Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Re: TMBG: Istanbul Video TMBG: My TMBG trip Re: TMBG: The Giants Re: TMBG: Cub TMBG: Become A Robot TMBG: yadda, yadda, yadda... TMBG: pronounciation TMBG: DOH! Re: TMBG: The Giants (none) (none) TMBG: Re:I palindrome I Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:47:17 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970615224147.25479b86@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Non-TMBG: I am mike leffel's BIGGEST FAN! >fan number 107 in the ML fan club Ok, now I hate to be a cocky little bastard, but I think I should be fan number one. After all, after only a short while on the list I recognized the PURE GENIUS of Master Leffel and told him that he kicked ass. And then i talked to him (wonder!) and then my parents sucked, so i talked to him from school. I have even spread the word of the Mike throughout my friends. so i think that i deserve fan #1 status. but of course, the final word on this belongs to Mike himself. So whaddya say, Mike? pretty pretty please? And somewhat off subject, does anybody else remember the commercials for the New Kids on the Block dolls where they had 10 endearing little girls going over, point by point, why they are their biggest fans? Bridget "AND I have the dreamhouse, and the corvette, and the Mikemobile, and the MikeCave, and .... and....OOH! 20 MikeBucks!!!" Guildner Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/2210/ <===== my homepage "I'm lonely and I'm right" - Ben Folds Five -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GMU/L/O d+ s a---- C++ U--- P L- E? W++ N++ o K- w+ O- M-- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP- t+ !5 X++ R tv++ b+++ DI++ D++ G e* h! r% x -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK----- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 01:22:34 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Flansburgh's Guitar Coffin Message-ID: <19970616.012437.5254.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Not only that, but anything above the 5th can be played much easier on the next higher string. Josh Nielsen On 16 Jun 1997 00:37:26 GMT joshw@bgnet.bgsu.edu (Josh Woodward) writes: >Mike Papazoglou (map@ee.duke.edu) wrote: > >: Does anyone know what >: "4. There's no money above the fifth fret." >: means? > >Flans is poking fun at guitarists who really like to solo at every >chance they get (*cough*eric*cough*). Above the fifth fret is where >most solos take place (where below the 5th is usually confined to >rhythm guitar). Translation, "there's no money for glam rock guitar >solo wankers". :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A5D448.17BD@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:03:20 -0700 From: Ewing Subject: Re: TMBG: The Giants Hello. > I might be missing somthing very big, but I don't belive there is a way to crowdsurf against your will. I was at this smashing pumpkins concert once which was so huge and pretty bloody wild too. There was 4000 plus people at this basketball stadium and you could CHOSE to sit in the stands or "stand" in the lounge. There were about 12 people stiitng. It was 42 degrees(C) that day. If you wanted to leave for whatever reason (thirsty, nervous or passed out) there was only one way. Over. I didn't like this much but it was worth it, it was the best 3 hours of my life. At most of the concerts I've been to there is the group of idiots up the front who try to kill themselves then there there are the people who just jump up and down in the mass(me) then there is the people who stand around or sit at the back. I don't know about the NO MOSHING rule, I find it fun sometimes but I think people should be given the option. I think it would be cool if TMBG played at a venue with heaps of tables and chairs and waiters who served coffee. Everyone could just sit there and tap their feet and drink and be relaxed. So this is a dream and it will never happen. So what. It is impossible to croud surf against your will unless your freakishly small or passed out. I've seen both of these happen. Tom "what was the question?" Ewing. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616074446.006a6a68@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:11:00 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-165 >From: CajunGram@aol.com >Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:49:50 -0400 (EDT) >Message-ID: <970614224949_172698003@emout09.mail.aol.com> >Subject: TMBG: Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said Request Lines Were Open > > It's that time of the day. You know that time. Preach on, Brother Cajun... - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeee...." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616074852.006fa1fc@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:11:01 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-166 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Jun-97 TMBG: busking? like acoustic?? by Brownie@postoffice.utas. > Does anyone know if TMBG have done any acoustic ("unplugged") performances? > Are there tapes of them doing songs with just an old steel string and > accordian (or any acoustic set up)?? Are they available?? Sigh... I'll say it before anyone else does, just to get it out of the way... Try "I Can Hear You"... - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeeee..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616081034.006dc5dc@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:11:06 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-166 >I am new to the list, but have been a fan for many years. >If anyone was at the TMBG concert in Cleveland on Dec.4,1996 at the >Agora, you may have seen me crowdsurfing (against my will.) Sigh... I was busy taking Finals at OSU at that time... :( I've only seen Them twice: once at the Agora in Cleveland in 1992 right after Apollo 18 (and what a great show they put on, although I could have easily done without the opening kicker band) and once in Columbus in Spring, 1996. I'm going through Them withdrawal and am placating myself with some Then :( - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616075814.006dde10@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:11:03 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons >From: TheyMBG@aol.com >Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:31:03 -0400 (EDT) >Message-ID: <970615221252_-1194274549@emout12.mail.aol.com> >Subject: TMBG: cartoons about tiny little dogs > >Since the infamous M.L. mentioned the Pac Man cartoon (USA Cartoon Express.. >way back when..) I was wondering if anyone could help me out on naming a few >others.. I really liked the old Dragon's Lair cartoon... "If you were Dirk, what would YOU do?" Even though the game was the biggest money hog, it was still otsa fun to play. >mostly this Smurf like spinoff with these tiny dogs that lived in a castle?? >I know this exists!! I didn't make it up! I didn't!!!! It was great!! You thinking of the Snorks? - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeeee..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616080723.006d9ed4@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:11:04 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: Non-TMBG: Off topic threads >Some of us only have so much time to read our e-mail and/or only so much >disk space to store it. Oh, come ON, you're telling me that an extra 20K of off-topic messages are going to flood your email box? heh heh... On a more serious note, if you're swimming in a.f.tmbg mail, I strongly recommend the digest format. I get all 50 or so msgs bundled into one easily-read or easily-back-burnered email every evening. Furthermore it makes messages easier... all I have to do is see "Jordanlc@aol.com" (or just "@aol.com" for that matter ) and I hit the page-down key and am spared a bunch of useless drivel. >We subscribe to a list conspicuously titled >"tmbg-list", expecting to read e-mail relating to TMBG. Well, here's where it gets kind of touchy. As has been mentioned, your average TMBG fan is pretty intellectual - you have to be to catch and appreciate many of the references and nuances of their music - and intellectual conversations pretty fluidly range all over the place in terms of topic. But we try to stick to TMBG as much as possible, so the non-TMBG chatter is kept close to minimum, and it doesn't warrant a separate newsgroup. (For that matter, who'd want to read a collection of side-threads? Not I, said the duck.) >Nobody is forcing us to read the mail, but the subject lines are seldom >informative, so the only way to divine the content of a message, short of >some mystical powers, is to read it. Okay, then, I'd like to remind everyone to put "Non-TMBG:..." in the msg line if we're off-topic. - Jim Stein "But the Matt's Life Savings scares meeeeeeeeeee..." ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:26:13 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Are you calling me a liar? Message-ID: <19970616.082706.4262.1.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> <> -Adam Adam, you are missing something very big: The word "CROWD" in crowdsurfing. You can't surf on a crowd if it is not there. Here is what happened, ye of little faith: I was at the concert, enjoying myself. My best friend said he was going to the front. Later, I found him moshing near the front of the stage. I did NOT take part in this activity. I am much too weak to get in there, plus I AM a peaceful TMBG fan. The moshing stopped (I think they were playing "Spy"), and my friend and another kid looked at me and said "You're going up!" They lifted me up and the crowd surged beneath me. It was scary, and I yelled at them to stop, but it happened anyway. I find nothing wrong with crowdsurfing (in moderation.) You should try it sometime. However, moshing is not good. I agree with you there. --Dave "Please Don't Yell At Me" Hutch ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:36:13 -0400 Subject: TMBG: I am cool. Message-ID: <19970616.083614.4262.2.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> GUESS WHAT!!!! There was a huge article about the Johns and their big bad touring van in an auto magazine! It was like Car and Driver, but not. It was "Auto something". Anyone read it? WHAT MAGAZINE WAS IT IN? I forgot, and I didn't get to read the whole thing... (I was in the waiting room at the doctor's) --Dave "I am still upset at Adam for implying that I am bad" Hutch ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:22:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706161322.JAA15382@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: pkent@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (pat kent) Subject: TMBG: a week off Okay, I'm home for a week or so, then I start summer school session th 23rd. Since I need some relaxation, I think it is best if the next live chat take place on say, like, the 27th - a Friday. Course, if anyone wants to organize something while I'm gone, feel free. If you want to e-mail me before the 22nd, use the "From" address above. Kelley Kent ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:51:40 -0400 Message-ID: <19970616.085140.4262.3.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Sorry I'm writing so much. This will be my last today. Dear Mike Leffel, Pac-Man was a great game. But 64-bit stuff doesn't suck! 32-bit doesn't either! Mariokart 64 is an awesome game! Playstation is coming out with Final Fantasy 7! Even Chrono Trigger for SNES rocked! You are a really funny human! Sincerely, Me Ok, back to TMBG... Where the heck can I find "Devil Went Down to Newport" single? And are The singles: Don't Let's Start, Hotel Detective, and They'll need a Crane available in CD? It says no in the newsletter, but it says yes on the website. Any hidden tracks an anything? (I already know about the one on Factory Showroom.) Are there any posters of TMBG? Bye. --David "Entire Snake" Hutch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970616105326.0069da14@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:53:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: At 08:51 AM 6/16/97 -0400, you wrote: > >Ok, back to TMBG... >Where the heck can I find "Devil Went Down to Newport" single? I believe this is still in print. I special ordered a copy around 6 months ago... Go to your local record store and ask the cashier if he can get you a copy. >And are The singles: Don't Let's Start, Hotel Detective, and They'll need >a Crane available in CD? It says no in the newsletter, but it says yes on the >website. I don't think these are in print anymore, but I could be wrong. There are several stores on the WWW that sell these, so if you're bored and hunt for a while, you'll eventually find all 3. >Any hidden tracks an anything? (I already know about the one on Factory >Showroom.) That's the only one. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:51:24 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, D. James Stein wrote: > >mostly this Smurf like spinoff with these tiny dogs that lived in a castle?? > >I know this exists!! I didn't make it up! I didn't!!!! It was great!! > > You thinking of the Snorks? No! It does exist! I vaguely remember that dog cartoon! More because I used to have a school folder with characters from the show on it. I can't remember what it was called, though. I used to watch the Snorks quite often, and I'm sure it's a different thing. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706161521.KAA04118@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:11:23 -0500 > > > >mostly this Smurf like spinoff with these tiny dogs that lived in a castle?? > > >I know this exists!! I didn't make it up! I didn't!!!! It was great!! > > > It was Biscuts or Biskits or something.... Mike "Infinite KnowNaut" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706161527.KAA04196@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Fw: Non-TMBG: I am mike leffel's BIGGEST FAN! Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:17:35 -0500 ---------- > From: Mike Leffel > To: Celestia > Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I am mike leffel's BIGGEST FAN! > Date: Monday, June 16, 1997 11:16 AM > > > > > > Ok, now I hate to be a cocky little bastard, but I think I should be fan > > number one. > >. So whaddya say, Mike? pretty pretty please? > > > > Oh,all right.. you're the Numero Uno.. BUT.. you must prove yourself > worthy. DANCE! DANCE! DANCE! LALALALALALALALLALALALALLA > LLALALLALALLLALLALALALALALALALA!!!! > > > Bridget "AND I have the dreamhouse, and the corvette, and the Mikemobile, > > and the MikeCave, and .... and....OOH! 20 MikeBucks!!!" Guildner > > > > Coming Soon: Quick Change Mike with Action Bitterness Grip! > > Mike "How come his dreamhouse is full of Jello Pudding Pops?" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A573EA.4B60@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:12:10 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: "Like Danny Akroyd, only fatta" > I'm not backing up the 'war' bit of the thread, but I find the other cd's > thread to be an occasional informative unrelated thing. ::shrug:: > >> > Nononononono..........do not misunderstand me!!!!!! I was only complaining > that people were getting disgustingly nasty about insulting each other about > the kinds of music they listen to. I whole-heartedly agree that other cd > threads are informative unrelated things.......for many reasons.......that > was included in the "Unrelated Thing" part. The whole point of that post is > that I just don't see why people have to get mean about it music......people > disagree, sure, fine, that's only to be expected, but what, please tell me > because I know not, is the point in going back and forth making fun of each > other in a nasty manner??? > > SUZZIE5808 > "Put away your big blue cigars!" Hey, come on! This terrible thread is almost getting as bad as the time Gottschalks called someone a bitch. Now let's knock it off! This thread has nothing to do with TMBG! Yeah, I know, a month later, we'll be talking about this as the worst thread... Nowait. That was the Manson thread. -- Vladimir "The Peacemaker" Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A575D8.8AF@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:20:24 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Arcade 'toons Mike Leffel wrote: > > Postage paid by: [Image] > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > >mostly this Smurf like spinoff with these tiny dogs that lived in a > castle?? > > > >I know this exists!! I didn't make it up! I didn't!!!! It was > great!! > > > > > > > It was Biscuts or Biskits or something.... > > Mike "Infinite KnowNaut" Leffel How about the "Lil' Bits?" TV: WE'RE THE LITTLE BITS!! Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! TV Changer: TV: We're the Me: But I think Fraggle Rock was pretty cool too. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A57900.1F80@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:33:52 -0700 From: vlad_drakul Subject: TMBG: Did something cool I did something really neat with my CD Player today... Actually, it's my CDRom... I stuck in Then CD One, and all the stuff popped up (The song titles, etc.)... so right then, I decided I wanted to listen to CD #2. So I ejected the CD, and this little error dialog box whipped up on the screen. "Cannot find E:" it said. So I stuck in CD #2 and hit "retry", and it worked, but the computer thought it was still cd #1. So I'm playing Alienation's For The Rich according to my computer, but it's actually Snowball in Hell. Cool, huh? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:40:05 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: I am cool. Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 tmbgdhutch@juno.com wrote: > GUESS WHAT!!!! > There was a huge article about the Johns and their big bad touring van in > an auto magazine! It was like Car and Driver, but not. It was "Auto > something". Anyone read it? > WHAT MAGAZINE WAS IT IN? > Get this: the magazine was called "Automobile." Hee hee! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If it's possible, history teaches us, we'll do it. It's not like when we built the atom bomb somebody said, 'Let's just make one and keep it in the house; it'll look nice over the fireplace.'" -Keith Olbermann on man and science, _The Big Show_ ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:54:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970616135406_1824461304@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: need setlists I echo Kylee's request for a setlist from the 1994 Wolf Trap show. That was my first TMBG concert and was so groovy that I would go so far as to say it was my first lifehaving experience. If anyone can point me toward a bootleg that would be nice as well, but I'm not holding my breath. till my head falls off, moose. hey, anybody going to Lilith Fair or the Warped tour? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33a584c370da002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: TMBG: birthday boy (clarification) Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:24:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts John L.'s birthday is June 12th, and the paper printed it on the 12th, not the 16th (the day i posted about it.) Somehow I managed to avoid including that fact... mea culpa. %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706161737.MAA05972@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: NON:TMBG: EMERGENCY!!! Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:26:33 -0500 If ANYONE out there can help me.... My non-endirectorized stuff on my hard drive recently self deleted (or I accidently deleted it, or someone used a bug in Netscape to delete it for me).. this also included the letter I GOT FROM MICHAEL MOORE OF TV NATION !!! NOO OOOOO!!!!!!! But anyway, I lost ALL my mp3's. I don't care, I know where to get them again.. except for one.. the one closest to my heart.. THE THEME SONG FROM PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES. It was RED RIVER ROCK (redrock.mp3 or something similar..) By happenstance, a while back, I FOUND IT on a random ftp site.. if ANYONE and I mean ANYONE can find this MP3 for me again, I WILL BE SEVERLY grateful... and stuff. HELP AN OLD MAN STUCK IN A RONCO FOOD DEHYDRATOR WILL YOU>!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! PLEASE!!!>!!>!>!!!! Mike "I am sad" Leffel ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:27:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970616142558_190021992@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: New Download-a-Song Service Hello there, As TMBG.COM's Dial-a-Song Online service hasn't been updated for awhile, I've decided to create my own service called "Download-a-Song." It will be updated every couple weeks or so. The Download-a-Song service can be found at: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN This week's Download-a-Song is the original version of "I've Got a World That Swings" sung by none other than Mr. Jerry Lewis. Enjoy! Larry http://members.aol.com/GaritRN - The home of Download-a-Song and oodles of bootlegs ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:19:25 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <33A59FCD.5D38@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Snorks TheyMBG@aol.com wrote: I was wondering if anyone could help me out on naming a few > others.. > Who can forget Snorks? Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:28:13 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <33A5A1DD.7CB6@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Passin the dude NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > To all the peaceful people in Giantland, lend me your ears. I might be > missing somthing very big, but I don't belive there is a way to crowdsurf > against your will. TMBG is NOT and I repeat NOT a band to crowdsurf or mosh > to. If you are at a show and someone right near you or one of your friends > tries to start, make them stop! I urge all of you! > > Adam Amen to that, being smushed and having people fall on you is no fun. By the way, it's called "passing the dude" according to Mr.John Linnell. From now on the words "crowd surfing" shall be replaced with "passing the dude". Bye, Vera ------------------------------ From: wwdorward@blazenet.net (Wilson Dorward) Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:57:25 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: birthday boy Message-ID: <19970616205747.AAA26075@default> > I'm a bit behind on my digests, but the Minneapolis Star-Tribune > included John L. on its birthday list, along with folks from groups > like Boston and Blues Traveler: > > - Accordionist-keyboardist John Linnell of They Might Be > Giants, 38. You are lucky. The York papers refused to mention Linnell among the list of birthdays. A True tragedy. Eric ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:56:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970616164935_1377516586@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Non-TMBG: Off Topic and No Subject Messages Shalom Listies Someone mentioned before but i deleted it that sometimes it's hard to choose the messages you'd like to read if the subject line is not very clear. What really get's me is when people send in posts with a "No Subject" topic. Please people, take the extra maximum two seconds to place a RELEVANT subject line in. I hate having to post to the list about posting, but I beg, I plead to make it easier on those that for various reasons want to choose their messages. Also I agree with whomever it was who said that subscribing to the digest is a very wise idea. I actually subscribe to the list and the digest, read whichever messages look appealing (hint: because of SUBJECT line) and delete the others, save the digests on my hard drive (I have a nifty little organized directory named for some reason "TMBG Digests") and at my leisure skim through those. It also serves as a great archive for future reference. Joel "Mike Leffel vs Matthew James: Content vs. Form. Only one will survive" Gedalius PS: It's worth the download for those running Windows 95 to download IE4.0 Preview version. it is a revolutionary addition not only for the internet but for the windows interface. Download at http://www.browsers.com or http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40 PPS No, I don't work for Microsoft, I'm just a 14 yr old playing Pac Man on his Atari 8-bit computer ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970616170324.0069571c@email.uc.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:03:24 -0400 From: Heather Garver Subject: TMBG: Vinyl Today, I was lucky enough to find two, yes two TMBG singles on vinyl. I got (she was a)Hotel Detective, and O'tannenbaum. I found Hotel Detective in none other than the Misc. T section, took it up to the counter, and made a remark about how rare a find this was for me. Then the clerk says "we have the christmas one upstairs, do you want it?". Needless to say, I way very happy. Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970616173452.00827a50@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:34:52 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off Topic and No Subject Messages >PS: It's worth the download for those running Windows 95 to download IE4.0 >Preview version. it is a revolutionary addition not only for the internet >but for the windows interface. Download at http://www.browsers.com or >http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40 NO! Don't download it! DEAR GOD!! What do you think you're doing, Joel? Don't ever tell people that! Don't give in! If you do download it, be prepared to format your hard drive and re-install windows. You'll have enough time... it'll take a few days to download. [1] But this is not the place for that. Sorry. (He started it) And some content worth reading! Can someone please tell me how many different illegal DAS Online sites there are? I'd like to visit all of them... -ec [1] don't reply to this. I get as defensive as a crazed MacUser over this topic :)... (no offense to macusers) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:51:42 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <33A5B56E.3ECC@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Cub Lawrence P Solomon wrote: I listen to mostly two groups (TMBG and cub) Hey does anyone know what happened to that guy who said he wanted to make a cub newsgroup many moons ago? Just askin.:+) Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:00:43 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cub Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Eeyore wrote: > I listen to mostly two groups (TMBG and cub) > Hey does anyone know what happened to that guy who said he wanted to > make a cub newsgroup many moons ago? Just askin.:+) Sadly, we found out that cub is no more! Tragic, but true. So the list is going to disappear very soon... :( -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706162200.AA02932@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: IE4/DAS Online/Hotel Detective Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:00:19 -0400 (EDT) > >PS: It's worth the download for those running Windows 95 to download IE4.0 > >Preview version. it is a revolutionary addition not only for the internet > >but for the windows interface. Download at http://www.browsers.com or > >http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40 > > NO! Don't download it! DEAR GOD!! What do you think you're doing, Joel? > Don't ever tell people that! Don't give in! If you do download it, be > prepared to format your hard drive and re-install windows. You'll have > enough time... it'll take a few days to download. [1] Past IE4's have been very slow (compared to Netscape) in loading pages in my experience, does this still seem to be the case? I guess the optimal question is, how quickly does www.tmbg.com and www.tmbg.org load? ;) > Can someone please tell me how many different illegal DAS Online sites > there are? I'd like to visit all of them... I don't know but I have a question about this illegality issue. Is it true that if you don't put an entire song on-line, but only part of it then it's legal to do it, or does that have to do only with released songs, or am I just going crazy? (She Was a) Hotel Detective is incredibly hard to find, good job Heather! If only they had more... Alas it is the last single I have yet to get, I've been searching for years for it (not a super-extensive search but I have been keeping my eye out). Oh, I forgot: Leffel vs. James: Content vs. Form. Are you saying Leffel is the content man and I'm just a bunch of form? What does Mike have to say about this? /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:39:44 -0400 Message-ID: <19970616.173944.4230.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Same question reiterated: What is a wishnik??? What do they actually say in "Robot" on Then? Harbor a what? Hutch ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:25:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970616182413_-1429641338@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: non tmbg.. hanson and stuff... kinda Ok, here's an addition to the FAQ. On average TMBG fans detest Hanson. Settled? Bring on the next thread. Joel "I just realized Mr. Leffel's last name is a palindrome! Cool beans!" Gedalius ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:03:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Robert Mootrey u Subject: TMBG: Istanbul Video Message-ID: I just caught the last 3 secs of the Istanbul video on Muchmusic. It was on "The Wedge" at just before 6:00. -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:13:35 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Cub Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Jordan David Maynard wrote: > > Sadly, we found out that cub is no more! Tragic, but true. So the list > > is going to disappear very soon... :( > > what!? there is no mention of this on the mint page is there? what where > who when? Is it coz lisa got married?!.... I don't know why -- they don't really say, but Mr. Lawrence P Solomon gave us this URL: http://mintrecs.com/bands/speak/cub/bye/cub.html See for yourself! :( > oh speaking of her, all you > cubs fans who are desperate for at least ONE more cub song.... the last > track on the latest Queers album "Don't Back Down" was co-written by > Lisa M. from cub and is sung by her and it sounds dead-on like a cub > song... Sounds cool! One last cub song...please!? > > soo... wait this sucks. no more cub shows?! wah! I only became a fan after seeing them open for TMBG, so I didn't get the full effect of their show. I have been *waiting* for them to come back to Seattle now that I'm familiar with their music, and now they never will! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616172859.0079fbf0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:29:55 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul Video At 07:03 PM 16/06/97 -0400, you wrote: >I just caught the last 3 secs of the Istanbul video on Muchmusic. It was >on "The Wedge" at just before 6:00. Much usually repeats their programming and shows the same thing later on. I think the wedge will be on again at about midnight. So, set yer VCRs, Canuckleheads... -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970616233933.9930.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:39:33 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings ---Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > Let's stick with tradtion. > Josh Nielsen tradition can bite me. the title "Matt's Life Savings" sticks. Cookie _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970616175213.00797100@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:52:15 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul Video At 04:43 PM 16/06/97 -0700, you wrote: >> "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburg >> http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ > >H H H H with an H! It's John FlansburgH. Eeep! That just knocked me down a few rungs on the fandom ladder. I feel so ashamed... -- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburgh http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:44:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970616204244_1176955339@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My TMBG trip Well I have just gotten back from Jacksonville, FL and along the way I drove under an overpass that had the words "I don't want the world" spray painted on it (I think we all know how the rest goes). Also I heard Til My Head Falls Off on the Radio (my first time I have ever heard a TMBG song on the radio because where I came from the Johns are not very big) "Sweet fancy Moses"--George Castanza ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970617005446.26257.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:54:46 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Re: TMBG: The Giants ---NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > but I don't belive there is a way to crowdsurf > against your will. Oh yes, there is. Beleive me, I know. From very bad personal experience that landed me with a sprained ankle. Now I fear moshpits. (Ask Heather Tinkler how hard I tried to avoid the one at the KU show last MAy.) >TMBG is NOT and I repeat NOT a band to crowdsurf or mosh > to. I agree. It's one thing to pogo to "Birdhouse". It's another thing to do stuff that could get yourself and other ppl hurt. (Or P'd...like Chicken Girl, who kept waving her arms in front of my face like she was stoned or something...sheesh...) > If you are at a show and someone right near you or one of your friends > tries to start, make them stop! I urge all of you! If they will listen. Stoned sixteen year olds tend to be stupid. Stasi _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:14:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Cub Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Jun-97 TMBG: Cub by Eeyore@haven.ios.com > Hey does anyone know what happened to that guy who said he wanted to > make a cub newsgroup many moons ago? Just askin.:+) hehehe. that was me. :) unfortunately, cub broke up about a month ago, so I don't see much point in really pursuing it anymore - if they had been bigger, it might have been possible, but the fact that they really won't be increasing their fan base now kind of puts out that possibility... (it's unfortunate, too - I've heard they have about 30 recorded but unreleased songs that may just go to waste...) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:18:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Become A Robot Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 tmbgdhutch@juno.com wrote: > Same question reiterated: > > What is a wishnik??? > What do they actually say in "Robot" on Then? > Harbor a what? Maybe we should put this in the FAQ. Where's John??? Hokay. Nobody agrees exactly on what Flans is saying in Become A Robot. I and many others say it's "Harbor a deathwish", but more than a few persist in hearing "Harbor a penguin", and there are even a couple who hear "Harbor a wishnik". In sum, who knows? --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970617011813.17435.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:18:13 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: TMBG: yadda, yadda, yadda... Listies- Lots of stuff to say, but I'll try to keep it brief. 1.Hanson- I don't care about them one way or the other. (The lead singer looks like Kirsten Dunst, tho...that's a little scary.) 2. Stomp!!!- Thanx for all the interest in my stupid little zine. I'm having the damndest time getting it published, tho. Stomp!!! will go to a seasonal schedule. I promise, the summer issue will be out this summer! 3. Mike Leffel's Fan Club (Mike palidrome Mike- I did not realize that Leffel is a palindrome. Cool.)-I wanna join too! 4. TMBG Dream - Basically, it was me and Flans in a local bar, drunk and spewing obscenities at one another. I was quite angry at Flans. I then started in on Linnell about that IU article ("So you don't want to be friends with your fans, eh? Well, you really SUCK, Mister!!!) until he started to cry. Flans made sexist remarks about the size of my butt. I dumped a beer on him. Then Dan the Delovely and I went into a corner and made out. Interps, anyone? (Oh. Graham was there too, trying to separate me and Flans when we got into a fistfight. Strange dream.) 5. oklahoma TMBG fans- I want to get a page of TMBG listies going at at Geocities. If you live in Oklahoma and are on this list, please privately mail me.I'll instuct you then. 6. Did anyone who went to the KU show make a tape of it? (I rtan into someone there wh osaid he had...how'd that go?) I am so wanting a copy. Ok, that's it for now. Stomp Cookie Goddess Stasi === ********************************************************************************************* This message has been brought to you by Saint Ana The Suave Productions. Dig? Visit http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 for fun and excitement. _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:46:37 -0400 Subject: TMBG: pronounciation Message-ID: <19970616.204708.4462.3.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Is our Lord's name LEFfel or lefFEL? -Evan "ducking projectiles" Kleve ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: DOH! Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:30:18 -0400 Message-Id: <199706170340.2308300@rma.edu> > Is our Lord's name LEFfel or lefFEL? > > -Evan "ducking projectiles" Kleve LOOK! WE'VE ALL HEARD MIKE and his MOM say LEFFel! You newbies don't know anything! We'll have to put this in the ML FAQ!!!! --Tim Clark Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html MiSTie #79297 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:28:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Giants Message-ID: <19970616.204708.4462.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 01:47:56 -0400 (EDT) NitpickR@aol.com writes: ><Agora, you may have seen me crowdsurfing (against my will.)>> > >To all the peaceful people in Giantland, lend me your ears. I might >be >missing somthing very big, but I don't belive there is a way to >crowdsurf >against your will. TMBG is NOT and I repeat NOT a band to crowdsurf >or mosh >to. Well then, you were not at the Agora TMBG show! It was so rough in the moshpit that somehow I was jumping up and down and my feet were never touching the ground! My ex-girlfriend was there and she is a bit, shall we say, virtically challenged? So she was practically trampled to death and got out of there FAST! ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:35:30 -0400 Message-ID: <19970617.003530.4230.2.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Flans is gainin weight! Me suspects he is out of shape. Eats a lot. Beer belly. Like my Dad! Flans is so Dad-like that it surprises me he has no kids! ________ ________ | \______/ | | | ------ ------ | | | D J | | | <---- t-shirt Flans wore | | at Cleve. concert 96' | | | | ----------------------------- Davey "The Dave-ish Dave-meister" Hutch ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:24:29 -0400 Message-ID: <19970617.002430.4230.1.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher, and never be alone..." MY INTERPRETATION: "I want to act normally. I do not want to be made fun of for acting naturally.. Those who mock me are just afraid to admit that they feel the same way. Don't they know that everyone feels the same way? Everyone should STOP TRYING TO BE DECENT AND PROPER. Stop being fake to be popular and cool. Don't deny what's natural. If everyone would "raise their freak flag" (act normally and naturally), we would "never be alone." (We could all do what we REALLY want to do without being worried or embarassed.)" Oh well. Nobody will listen. We will always continue to pursue our wants and needs by being fake and unnatural. It is just a longer, slower, pointless, painful way. David "The Human Philosopher" Hutch ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:06:31 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re:I palindrome I Message-ID: <19970616.221145.15902.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) No. Actually you mixed up two different lines. In verse 2 it says "see the medical chart with the random zigzags" and in verse 3 it says "see the hands of my offspring making windmills". Check the lyrics in your CD. Josh Nielsen >On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 07:29:49 -0700 Bunnell > Sorry to bust the whole theory, but isn't the line "See the hands >of >my offspring making ZIGZAGS?" not windmills? > > Metal Man > > >--TAAAA01616.866512535/m10.boston.juno.com-- > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:11:41 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings Message-ID: <19970616.221145.15902.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Personally, I think that name sucks. Who thought of it? It makes no sence. Who is Matt? Why is his life savings a CD? Is he really that poor? Superfueled Freakcilcle is also a bad one, simply because freak is a popular word right now (Live, Silverchair, DC Talk). I'm sure They will bless us with lyrical genious once again. Josh Nielsen On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:39:33 -0700 (PDT) The Almighty Cookie writes: >tradition can bite me. the title "Matt's Life Savings" sticks. >Cookie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-167 ******************************