Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-169 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 169 Thursday, 19 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Not-really-TMBG: Content vs. Form Re: Non-TMBG:Mike Leffel Mailing List Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites TMBG: Hello Club Information Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites TMBG: Statue ssinge to trade..... TMBG: Just had to say.. TMBG: TMBG and sci-fi TMBG: Birthday alert TMBG: Tragedy strikes near. Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Re: TMBG: so i rolled down the window and said..SUBJECT HEADER! TMBG: One great day Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) TMBG: One great day addition. Re: TMBG: One great day addition. Re: TMBG: One great day addition. TMBG: OMLC stuff.. Re: TMBG: Birthday alert TMBG: OMLC TMBG: Crowd surfing TMBG: Concert / non- XTC TMBG: Several things..... Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) TMBG: snowman shirt Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites TMBG: Concert attendees Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites Re: TMBG: One great day addition NON-TMBG: XTC TMBG: The Guitar question Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Non-TMBG: Frank Zappa Re: TMBG: Cub TMBG: They'll bring the music Re: NON-TMBG: FRANK ZAPPA RE: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. RE: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 NON-TMBG: You hit like a girl TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 TMBG: Hope That I Get Old question NON-TMBG: THIS SAYS NON-TMBG FOR ALL YOU "Stick to the Topic" TMBG: Ok. Here's my theory on "Superfueled Freaksickle"(Used to be "new cds") TMBG: Hope That I Get Old question TMBG: tape trading Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Re: TMBG: OMLC stuff.. Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Non-TMBG: XTC TMBG: pic of our singing sawster, blah blah blah Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199706172255.SAA27878@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:55:01 -0400 (EDT) > Ah...no. We're talking about 200 people, here, aren't we? (Can anyone > in charge of number such as these back me up, or am I completly off?) > I'd say the normal show at a TMBG concert would be about 4-500, > full-price paying individuals. We're at about 600 between the list and digest. If you include the message board on the web site there's probably another 100-200, and theres probably 2000-2500 who read alt.music.tmbg at one point or another. As for a concert, the 4 I've been to have been about 1500, about 1200, about 900, and about 2000. My thought was an east coast and a west coast thing. Like perhaps something in the DC area for the east, and the LA area for the west. I bet you could attract 400-500 "internet" fans for each. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:57:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason Gohlke Subject: Not-really-TMBG: Content vs. Form Message-ID: >Oh, I forgot: Leffel vs. James: Content vs. Form. Are you saying Leffel >is the content man and I'm just a bunch of form? [snip] >/Matt I don't know--I think ML is more about form and Matt is more about content, at least from what I've read. (My completely irrelevant coupl'a'cents) Jason "Just look at me | J a s o n L. G o h l k e I'm having the time of my life | jlgohlke@students.wisc.edu or something quite like it" | bjorn@arch.housing.wisc.edu -Elvis Costello | (608) 259-0711 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:06:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Dane Woodall Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Mike Leffel Mailing List Message-ID: I don't post to the list very often, but this time I think I will make an exception. My vote is heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dane Woodall - woodalld@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us URL: http://www.godby.leon.k12.fl.us/USERS/dwoodall/ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > I would like to hold a vote for the proposal to construct a Mike Leffel > Mailing List for his fan club. This way those who could care less about Mr. > Leffel (how dare they) can continue talking about TMBG without distraction. > All in favor say "Ye" All against say "Ne" > > Joel "Giddy Up Horsie" Gedalius > Excuse me but is that an aglet? [1] > > [1] For those of you who do not know what an aglet is, look it up. You'll be > interested in knowing > ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199706172258.SAA27900@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:58:17 -0400 (EDT) > Putting more than 40 seconds of a recording of any song you don't have > permission to use on the Internet is always illegal, no matter what the > quality may be and no matter whether the song has been released or not. The > record companies are usually not very happy to sit by and watch it happen, > either; Bo Orloff's original "Dial-A-Song Online" was shut down for exactly > this reason. Putting any length reproduction of any song on a web site can cause you problems. This is one of the reasons you don't see songs on www.tmbg.org. If you see a song on the web site I've worked out a deal and gotten written permission to cover my butt. As for Bo...he and the Giants had bigger problems which resulted in the lost of his site. dial-a-song online was not the primary factor. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199706172304.TAA27931@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Hello Club Information Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:03:59 -0400 (EDT) I have some important Hello Club information for you. Many people have complained online about not receiving packages from Hello, and fear they will never get them as Hello will be no more. Those who run Hello Club are very upset about this. They are making efforts to get orders out to everyone, but have a number of packages that were returned due to the wrong address, or other problems. They want to get you your merchandise. If you have an outstanding order with Hello and would like to check on it please e-mail helloclub@aol.com and ask about your order. Provide all the information you can, date of order, check number, etc. I hope that everyone will be able to get the music they wanted. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970617190945.00833c50@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:09:45 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites > Putting any length reproduction of any song on a web site >can cause you problems. This is one of the reasons you don't see >songs on www.tmbg.org. If you see a song on the web site I've >worked out a deal and gotten written permission to cover my butt. Just a question... how do midi files figure into copyright laws? I assume can be made/distributed freely, since they obviously are... but wouldn't one still have to get permission even to "record" an arangement of the song? -ec ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:15:34 +0100 (BST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970617011149.2eff3c5e@popmail.dircon.co.uk> From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Statue ssinge to trade..... I've got a spare copy of the UK/Euro release of "The Statue Got Me High" single on CD. I'd ideally like to trade this for a dub of the FS sessions tape (with "Older", "Reprehensible" etc.) so if anyone with the FS sessions would be willing to trade with me for the CD, please mail me privately. Track listing is: The Statue Got Me High She's Actual Size (Album Version) I'm Def [1] Which Describes How You're Feeling [1] [1] The liner notes say that these tracks are taken from the 1985 Demo Tape. Joe xox -- "No-one is completely worthless - They can always serve as a bad example" - Chumbawamba ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:32:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Just had to say.. Message-ID: I was interviewed for a story on the local news: since I work at an internet cafe, the news channels come down to film everytime they do an internet-related story. Normally, I stay away from the news crew, cause I'm heavy enough I don't like being reminded by seeing myself on TV. But, we had just opened, and had no customers to film. So I got on and brought up tmbg.com, and they got a shot of me surfin' on the TMBG site, and it got on the news. :) Just thought I'd share.. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970617172545.006d1f70@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:27:29 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: TMBG and sci-fi Hey all you fans of cheesy sci-fi-- go to the library and get a copy of _Chrome Circle_, by Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon. Admittedly I haven't read it, but I can tell you this: the protagonist defeats a bunch of evil mind-reading mages by thinking of the most random thing he can--TMBG lyrics. :) I am not making this up. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:16:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970617211337_-1930128912@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Birthday alert Did anyone see Entertainment Tonight on John's birthday? I planned to see if he was going to be on it during the b-day annoucements but missed it. I figured why not, ET has all those other people on it noone's ever heard of. TmbgManiac (certainly listening to Frank Black's "Black Sessions Live in Paris") http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 "I will not think of this as a award, but as undeniable proof that I am a bad ass mother fucker"-Jim Carrey If you have scrolled down this far down, you deserve a reward. ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970617212222#367@acme.computer-services.com From: "Buster T. Bunny" Subject: TMBG: Tragedy strikes near. Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:20:34 -0500 Hello. I am not Buster T. the one most, or at least some of you know fairly well. I am Buster J Bunny, his "echo" as The group RUSH put it. I have a grim announcment to make as well. between 1 and 1:30 am Central, we were trying to eat some time up in prep for me heading back to New York, after a visit with him. We were on a gravel road, heading back toward town, and he lost control of the car. It barrel rolled, Im not certian how manytimes, I came though with minor scratches and bumps and brusies, very lucky. BT however, did not be so lucky. He was killed. apparent cause, sever head trauma. condulences to his family best be sent to daisy@acmeonline.net and sonic@acmeonline.net his mother and brother. please remove his address from the list-serv at your conveince. he will be greatly missed, by many. Buster J Bunny BT's spiritual twin. "Everyone needs a echo, and I have lost mine" ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:41:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: Official Mailing .. by Leo Bicknell@ufp.org > We're at about 600 between the list and digest. If you > include the message board on the web site there's probably another > 100-200, and theres probably 2000-2500 who read alt.music.tmbg > at one point or another. don't forget about gateways and such - I'm reading something called "internet.music.tmbg@andrew.cmu.edu," which is a central subscription to the list that anyone with CMU bboard access can read. there could conceivably be 4000 people on it here (I'm simply talking enrollment, folks, there aren't *that* many TMBG fans at CMU) and I'm sure that CMU isn't the only school where this is done. I'm not one of those 600 you cited there, because lps@andrew.cmu.edu isn't actually subscribed to the mailing list. also, the web site message board, newsgroup, and mailing list probably have considerable overlap (I'm on the list and group...) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:34:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: so i rolled down the window and said..SUBJECT HEADER! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Jun-97 TMBG: so i rolled down the .. by KdsInThHal@aol.com > post decent messages? I don't get you, man.. Is this the hAOLocaust? All > flames to me by email. Schanks. how can he flame you if he's ignoring all your messages because you're on AOL? :) seriously, though, it's unfortunate that AOL doesn't inform its users better as to the generally accepted politeness rules (note my avoidance of a certain 'word') of the net... this is where its reputation comes from, because a lot of people who have never had any net experience before can get on there, not know much, and then do something stupid. it's the educated people who, unfortunately, get overlooked. (apparently, also, until recently, there was very little regulation of whether the topics on the local AOL groups were actually on topic - granted, this post isn't, but I think it needed to be said) however, this is a mailing list - for the most part, the only people posting to it are those who are subscribed and those who are genuinely interested in its contents. and really, if people are going to slam aol.com, they should also go after compuserve.com, prodigy.com, juno.com, erols.com, and, to name one of many, cmu.edu, which has its share of clueless newbies, too. I hope all the aol slanderers are reading this - I may not like AOL's service, or the way it operates, or occasionally fails to operate, but its users have nothing to do with that, and deserve just as much respect as anyone else on the net. we're all in this together. tmbg content - what would the Johns say to this issue? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:08:39 -0700 Subject: TMBG: One great day Message-ID: <19970617.220839.6462.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Today has been a really good day. First, I just finished taping So Long off of my computer. I downloaded it off of tmbg.com and then, using Cool Edit 96, added some recording-studio-quality effects. I just gave it some reverb. I then recorded it. Does anyone have a copy of this song? Mine is really crappy. Also, my friend told me of a They siting. He was watching TV, and during the commercials an educational thing came on about Tom Edison. He claims that he heard I Can Hear You playing in the background. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Message-ID: <19970617.233711.4046.2.HotelDetective@juno.com> From: hoteldetective@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 01:37:45 EDT heheheee, this is how i can bribe all of you to help me out here. hahahaa, all those that volunteer and help out get to participate in a sit-n-chat with the johns apres the show!! =) "She was a hotel detective, but now she's better connected" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN (aka TMBgirl) On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:19:31 -0400 tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) writes: >On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:12:36 -0400 (EDT) Tom Hare > writes: >>And if we do this maybe afterwards we could convince them to >>just >>have a sit-and-chat type thing, where they you know, sit and talk >with >>people, field questions or such. > >Um, how on Earth do you expect that to remain under control?! There's >no way in hell a mob like us could sit quietly with a polite and calm >question and answer peroid! Actually, come to think of it, at the EMU >concert, John Linnell mentioned something about "the question and >answer section of the concert." But it never happened. It was just >another one of his little jokes. :( > > Evan "Cynical" Kleve ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Message-ID: <19970617.233711.4046.1.HotelDetective@juno.com> From: hoteldetective@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 01:37:45 EDT Definately, This is what i'm saying... large corporations don't care the extent of their advertisement as long as they're getting it...now keep in mind this is coming from someone that owns a grip of stock in pepsico... So what I need to know... is there anyone out there that would be willing to get on this fundraising bit? Cuz personally, i hate doing that kind of stuff cuz well i'm not all that convincing so... if I can get some volunteers to do this I will call up all my connections... TO clear up some other confusions: The list, last I heard has 500 people on it. someone out there know the exact numbers? is this even close? anyways, we can always include the musings board and the people that post constantly about mono puff on the rykodisc page which will put us up a few more people. What I figure, if we can get 500 of us to just donate $20 (the cost of an average concert) that already puts us up $10,000. I have absolutely NO idea whatsoever on what they're gonna be asking but, you can always bargain with them _and_ we've got any money that these business' give us. As far as the whole radio stations thing goes, I know that here, there is HUGE competition amongst all of the alternative kind of stations and the opportunity to broadcast live shows doesn't get passed up very often. That comes straight from teh mouth of one of my buds at KTCL here in denver... Local business... very good idea. Anyone out there at the KU show (a free show i might add) know exactly how they raised the money? lots of local sponsors on teh program... so, any of you that go to KU that might happen to still be out there or that could get in touch with SUA and ask... Oh yeah, I'm gonna be out of town for yet another swim meet (good 'ol utah this time!) so I won't be able to answer any questions or start this little project until monday morning! "She was a hotel detective, but now she's better connected" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN (aka TMBgirl) On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:12:23 -0700 jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) writes: >I'm sure Pepsi would sponsor. They sponsor anything. Don't forget >the local radio stations. Maybe even some local bussinesses. I'm >sure Best Western can give us a good deal. I know I would go. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:13:02 -0700 Subject: TMBG: One great day addition. Message-ID: <19970617.231302.9278.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Wow!!!! Not only did all that happen, I just got through to DAS for the first time in my life. I've never even tryed before tonight. It only took 3 times. It was a song about Christmas time and the lyrics I remember are" Hi this is John from They Might Be Giants If you are driving at 100 miles per hour, please, put down the phone" and then something about going crazy at Christmas time. Anyone know what this is called? Josh Nielsen "Go to H-E-double L for me"-TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 02:52:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: One great day addition. Message-ID: We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > Wow!!!! Not only did all that happen, I just got through to DAS for the > first time in my life. I've never even tryed before tonight. It only > took 3 times. It was a song about Christmas time and the lyrics I > remember are" Hi this is John from They Might Be Giants If you are > driving at 100 miles per hour, please, put down the phone" and then > something about going crazy at Christmas time. Anyone know what this is > called? > Josh Nielsen > "Go to H-E-double L for me"-TMBG > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A7B476.23A3@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 03:12:06 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: One great day addition. Tom Hare wrote: > > We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime Hey! I was just gonna say that! BLAH Kevin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:34:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: OMLC stuff.. Message-ID: What might be a little more feasible (other than the listies get together, which would be cool) might be looking into getting Them to play a Springfest/Fallfest and either a) making sure it's a -free- outdoor thing, or b) convince whichever school its at to presell tickets to us. B, imho, would probably be more difficult. While I really like the idea of having a listes-only concert, I think, even with all the lurkers out there (you know you're out there. Admit it. You love this list, even if you never post... :) ), we would still not be larger enough for management to consider it, when they could be making more $$ by supporting Them on a regular tour. If the Johns like the idea, there might be more of a chance, but with their schedule, it'd be difficult to pull off. While you'll get more outsiders at a Springfest/Fallfest, there is the chance it'll be at a school where the majority of the crowd would care less about TMBG ,and we'd get them allllll to ourselves. :) But I'm probably rambling, and making no sense. It's okay, though. I rarely make snmake sense at this hour. :) 'Sides, if the Johns are completely adverse to a listees only show, I'll pester my sister, who's Music director at WBNY (college radio, rah!) to see what she can do. She likes They. I got her hooked on They. :) She actually used to be on this list, but I think she's since unsubbed due to traffic. Of course, you'd all have to come to Buffalo (ugh) if this happened, but hey, it's They! I'll shut up now. Beth "Typing would be easier if I wasn't getting 2 minute lag while waiting for words to show up on my screen and I can check for typos and sorry Mike I stole your sig thingy" Connell -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A7DB6B.3D7E@erols.com> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:58:19 -0400 From: Zydell Organization: N/A Subject: Re: TMBG: Birthday alert TmbgManiac@aol.com wrote: > > Did anyone see Entertainment Tonight on John's birthday? I planned to see if > he was going to be on it during the b-day annoucements but missed it. I > figured why not, ET has all those other people on it noone's ever heard of. No he was not mentioned, and I had to sit through 30 min of ET for nothing!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706181336.JAA13224@thor.infi-pos.com> From: "Carrie Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: OMLC Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:33:29 -0400 I think that we should find out how many people are actually on the list. We would get guestlisted and do the chat thing, and other fans could buy tickets (help defray costs.) Also, try to find out where everyone lives. If a lot of people can not make it, then do not bother. Carrie Hoffmann * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- "I'm crazy, but I get the job done!" - Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706181340.JAA13258@thor.infi-pos.com> From: "Carrie Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Crowd surfing Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:37:26 -0400 When I saw TMBG play at Count Basie, someone was crowdsurfing and TMBG stopped the show until the people stopped. THEY are very anti-crowdsurfing. I know this for a fact! Carrie Hoffmann * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- "I'm crazy, but I get the job done!" - Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970618095429.008296d0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:54:29 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Concert / non- XTC Well, guys... as much as I'd love to see a listie-only concert, it's not gonna happen. Anyway... I know some of you are XTC fans... I have Drums & Wires and Skylarking, I really like Skylarking, but I don't like Drums & Wires... what album would you recommend buying? (Perhaps Nonsuch? their latest one?) ... Also, did they break up, or are they just not touring and not recording an album? -ec Current CD: New Wave Xmas <--- good CD, and not just because of TMBG! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:13:42 -0400 Message-Id: <9706181413.AA28278@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Several things..... I haven't posted in a while because I don't have much free time left after reading all the recent postings. First - Isn't this concert thing for fans on the internet at least worth a try. I know it might be a long shot but...what the hell. Count me in. I will even help coordinate it if necessary. I actually think they might be willing to do it. They could use the show as a sound check for their next tour. We don't expect perfection. Judging by the increasing fan base (and corresponding reverence for J&J) most people on the list would settle for hearing them tune their instruments. :) The "Live in NYC" CD was offered "by ivitation only" to people on the info club mailing list. A few remaining seats were raffled off to the newsgroup. So it definitely worked once before. Second - does anyone else get funny reactions when the mention Mike Leffel's name to other people? Like "Who the hell is Mike Leffel?" or "Mike Leffel isn't he that Particle guy?". I mean it seems kind of strange although I have gotten use to it. BTW, Mike maybe the best thing to do would be to ignore your "friend". On the internet, attention is what keeps bad threads going. Third - Speaking of bad threads. I think the worst has to be the Muppets thread (my personal peeve - don't even think about bringing it up again). I think it was one of the main threads that brought down the list a few years ago. "Look at all the people in the window. I'm checking out the people in the window." (kind of fits this newsgroup, eh?) Erik "Card Carrying member of Moose Humpers of America" Chuss ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970619002809.006947fc@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:28:09 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Hmm, maybe the idea of finding out where those 500 listies live before organising a concert is a good one. I'd LOVE to go to a Net Fans TMBG concert, but hey, you get a little wet driving to NY from Tasmania. Brownie "Who doesn't do the groovy witty quote middle name thing because there's no room for a middle name in Brownie" --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- "I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now."-Steve Wright ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706181428.AA03890@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: snowman shirt Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:28:09 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, I saw a rather amazing site today as I was driving down Connecticut Ave. heading to work. There was this guy with long hair that was wearing the snowman shirt!!! I was ready to just stop the car right there in the middle of traffic and yell something tmbg-related but alas I was late for work so I could not. That's a site you don't often see. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706181457.AA03917@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:57:21 -0400 (EDT) This does seem to be true, we know of no album as of yet coming out. Yes, we're pretty sure one is due out sometime, but we don't know when, what it's called or anything of that nature, it might not come out until next year. The other thing is, most likely it would be in New York City, where I would think there are more TMBG fans than anywhere else, but even then, how many listies live in NYC or how many could actually travel there? I'm only about 3 1/2 hours drive away but others live on the other side of the country, or the other side of the world for that matter. I could see maybe 100-150 ppl showing up, I'm sure they'd need at least 500 or so. But hey, if someone has gobs of cash around and could convince them to play, I say go for it. /Matt > On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 hoteldetective@juno.com wrote: > > > okay, > > I spoke with Vlad a little bit about this yesterday but here's the > > deal... I honestly think we could pull this (OMLC) off. I have a couple > > of phone numbers that would put me in touch with TMBG basically. And > > > Is it just me or does this seem a little inconceivable? (Not that you > have the numbers, just the concert thing over all). I gotta say, a giant > party with all yous crazy listies with TMBG as the party band would probably > be one of the best things ever (right up there with the up coming > ConeCon, of course), but I just wonder how willing They would be to play > for a small group of neurotic fans for next to no money. I have a > feeling we'd end up having to fund the even ourselves because... > > > However, what we all need to do before I even attempt to call them is > > this: > > Compile some ideas on how we can convince large companies/corporations to > > sponsor the event. (ie, we need a hotel that would be willing to let us > > > Keeping in mind the Jewel fact mentioned by someone on the list, despite > the success of Flood, Jewel has a lot more pull to her name right now > than does TMBG (considering that Floo,d their most popular album to date, > came out in 1990 and all). What I'm saying here is that TMBG has such a > small following, and limiting the event to list memebers only is not > going to be too much of an incentive for corporations of any kind to > spend money on all of that for such a small advertising demographic. > If this were open to the general public, that would be something else > all together, wouldn't it? This is why I think we'd end up having to > put up most, if not all of the money ourselves. So, hate to rain on the > parade here any, but we have to be a little more practicle in looking at > this: How much do we think They would be willing to play for such a > small audience? How could we ever expect to pay for it anyway? Where > would it be? Who all could come? Jewel's thing was promotional, if I > remember correctly, and They havn't got too much to promote right now. > > > Stefanie Elliott > smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu > *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html > Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html > I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are > just a little TALLER than others." > -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. > > -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:15:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970618111233_224048836@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites In a message dated 97-06-18 00:08:30 EDT, harlequin@tmbg.org (Joshua Hall-Bachner) writes: << Putting more than 40 seconds of a recording of any song you don't have permission to use on the Internet is always illegal, no matter what the quality may be and no matter whether the song has been released or not. The record companies are usually not very happy to sit by and watch it happen, either; Bo Orloff's original "Dial-A-Song Online" was shut down for exactly this reason. >> So does this mean that it is perfectly legal to put entire songs like Theme From Flood and Minimum Wage (actually I think MW is 47 seconds) is legal? Oooh, ooh, what about fingertips? Joel "Testes--the planet in front of uranus [1]" Gedalius [1] Please don't hurt me ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970618112159.0082f100@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:21:59 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Concert attendees Are most people who attend TMBG concerts... ... "true fans" ... just there to see a concert (goes to concerts of bands he's never heard of, etc...) ... have Flood or what? at the Dec 3 Columbus show most people would sing along to Birdhouse and Particle Man... on the tape of 2/21 i have (Irving Plaza) there seem to be lots of people singing along to Older, and various others... I'd assume more people would be 'true fans' in NYC than in Ohio.... but... uh... yeah. -ec not starting a 'true fans' thread, merely listening to *all* his CDs, one after the other. I'm really bored. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970618112546.007daa20@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:25:46 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Illegal DAS Sites >Joel "Testes--the planet in front of uranus [1]" Gedalius > >[1] Please don't hurt me *WHACK* *WHACK* *WHACK* *WHACK**WHACK**WHACK**WHACK**WHACK* *thud* ....groan.... Evan "Just like in 'Casino'" Chakroff ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706181629.AA03953@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: One great day addition Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:29:25 -0400 (EDT) > We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime Because yultide is pure HE-double L for me. > > On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > > > Wow!!!! Not only did all that happen, I just got through to DAS for the > > first time in my life. I've never even tryed before tonight. It only > > took 3 times. It was a song about Christmas time and the lyrics I > > remember are" Hi this is John from They Might Be Giants If you are > > driving at 100 miles per hour, please, put down the phone" and then > > something about going crazy at Christmas time. Anyone know what this is > > called? > > Josh Nielsen > > "Go to H-E-double L for me"-TMBG > > > > -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706181637.AA03963@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: XTC Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:37:40 -0400 (EDT) > Anyway... I know some of you are XTC fans... > I have Drums & Wires and Skylarking, I really like Skylarking, but I don't > like Drums & Wires... what album would you recommend buying? (Perhaps > Nonsuch? their latest one?) ... Also, did they break up, or are they just > not touring and not recording an album? Hmm, while I love both, I realize that XTC sort of changed their style from punk to pop after Drums and Wires (i.e. when 1980 hit) so I'd either go for Black Sea from 1980 or Big Express from 1984. White Music and Go 2 are from their punk era (1970s stuff) as well as Drums and Wires (I havne't listened to these in a while so I hope I'm right), and everything after that they went more pop. Actually, I'd recommend any album from the 80s or 90s to you, you really can't go wrong. If you want to go to Beatown (on my internet provider no less) you can visit http://www.charm.net/~duke/xtc/beatown.html for lots of information including an article in an Australia publication dealing with an interview of Andy Partridge, I have yet to read it so I hope it's interesting. Hope this helps, /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618112116.006d0a34@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:21:29 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: The Guitar question Hi 'vryone I was watching the The Guitar video, and three questions arose: 1) The video shows Linnell playing bass. (Or, at least, another guitar.) Did he also play bass on the album? Or was it Flans on another track? 2) Who's that guy playing drums? 3) Is the woman Laura Cantrell herself? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:56:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970618145302_-1697624654@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) In a message dated 97-06-18 14:49:17 EDT, smelliot@indiana.edu (Queen Sneepy) writes: << Now, on the other hand, wouldn't it be fun if we all just picked a day this summer and got to gether and had a big, fun, TMBG party? Even if it were just the regular posters, and we met somewhere convenient (and dragged along everyone who says they "can't" go. Ha!) and played TMBG and ate Cheetos and drank Dr. Pepper and coffee all night long? Fun! Think, people, which is more feasible? >> I think what would be even more feasible would be a TMBG List Slumber Party at J&J's apartment! Giddy up! We could play Truth or Dare with the Johns! I'll bring the chips. They'll bring the music. Giddy up! Joel "Can I call my mommy to pick me up? My tummy hurts" Gedalius ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706181916.PAA07635@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:10:21 +0000 Subject: Non-TMBG: Frank Zappa Surpisingly, I noticed after all this favorite other band stuff, no one mentioned (or I didn't see) Frank Zappa. I find this odd because FZ is an obvious influence to John & John (I think this has been confirmed somewhere) and his voice sounds a lot like Weird Al's. Am I the only Zappa fan on the list? -Ben Greenberg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:18:55 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <33A8349F.A69@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Cub Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Jun-97 TMBG: Cub by Eeyore@haven.ios.com > > Hey does anyone know what happened to that guy who said he wanted to > > make a cub newsgroup many moons ago? Just askin.:+) > > hehehe. that was me. :) unfortunately, cub broke up about a month ago, > so I don't see much point in really pursuing it anymore Doh I found this out like right after I posted that. Waah Thanks for the responses though. ;+(Sniffle Sniffle Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970618153408.008326b0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:34:08 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: They'll bring the music >I think what would be even more feasible would be a TMBG List Slumber Party >at J&J's apartment! Giddy up! We could play Truth or Dare with the Johns! > I'll bring the chips. They'll bring the music. Giddy up! Now, I know of course you meant that they would play, and that would be the music, but don't you think it would be even more interesting to see them bring all the CDs they own... thus They'll bring the music? Evan "Starting a thread?" Chakroff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706181953.PAA01913@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:52:58 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FRANK ZAPPA Ben Greenberg wondered: >>Am I the only Zappa fan on the list? No. I've long wanted to name my first child Zappa. Probably as good a reason as any as to why I shouldn't have kids. Peace, Brett (still childless) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706181951.PAA01896@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:51:22 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. Daniel asked: >>Anyone remember the Kate and Kari show from waaaay back? Indeed I do. Nothing against Mike "collect and trade the entertaining quotations inserted between his name" Leffel, but the Kate and Kari show produced some of the most entertaining posts seen on this list. Then again, perhaps time and distance has clouded my vision. Peace, Brett (wondering how the old thread where nearly every member of the list married one another went unmentioned in the "annoying threads" thread) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:02:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: RE: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. Message-ID: On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Brett Ballantini wrote: > (wondering how the old thread where nearly every member of the list married > one another went unmentioned in the "annoying threads" thread) It didn't. I mentioned that, along with the McDonald's thread of about the same era. Ahh, memories. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618154013.006dc32c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:57 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 >It's sad when a poster I loved as much as Mike We should be allowed to glue Mike :) Sorry, it had to be said. - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618153755.006dc32c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:55 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 > Disney dropped a penis unexpectedly during a long silence >today.... I wonder what they were trying to do. I think I speak for most readers here when I say: Uhhhhhhhh........ what? - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618153424.006dc32c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:52 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 >Actually, it's pronounced SANDWICH. > >Mike "Sammich" Leffel Oh, yassuh, I gots me two sammidges right here in mah pocket... - David James Stein, Mike Leffel's Number Two Fan (#1 seems taken :) ) But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618155718.006dd304@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:18:01 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 >STOP EMAILING ME. Mike, go getcherself a copy of Eudora Pro 3.0. You can killfile people and your server won't even accept mail from them any more. (I've already done it to one listie.) - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618155023.006dd304@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:59 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: NON-TMBG: You hit like a girl >Mike "No teen here" Leffel Now now, kids, let's not fight... BTW, Matt, on behalf of all the people (unnamed, so don't start flaming me again) who get a knot in their panty hose over misleading subject titles: you missed the Non-TMBG thing :) - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618153607.006dc32c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:54 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-168 > Look.... isn't all this attention to Mike Leffel going to make >him a megalomaniac? Isn't he going to get a swelled head? isn't he going >to turn into a giant tarantula and inject poison into Godzilla and suck >its guts out? Isn't it JUST GOING TOO FAR?! Hee hee... he just might start running away and refusing to sign autographs after concerts ;) - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618152732.006dc32c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:51 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Hope That I Get Old question Okay, I have no clue whether or not this has already been posted... but here goes... In both the original and demo versions of Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, each time they sing it, it sounds like they're singing "It's a long long rope they use to hang YOU soon I hope," but the Then booklet reads "yadda yadda ME yadda yadda." What do you ppl think? Personally I like the former better. - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970618154651.006dc32c@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:17:58 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: NON-TMBG: THIS SAYS NON-TMBG FOR ALL YOU "Stick to the Topic" >it's the air resistance... if godzilla were to run through Tokyo he would >burn up in the atmosphere. Actually, he's supposed to be roughly twice the size of a Tyrannosaur, right? Tyros were able to run (by some estimates) up to 45mph... now I've never seen Godzilla run *that* fast, but he's probably smaller than a sauropod and they could walk around just fine. - David James Stein But the Matt's Life Savings scared meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e... ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:05:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970618170349_-428692747@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Ok. Here's my theory on "Superfueled Freaksickle"(Used to be "new cds") ok. 1st of all, I'm not subscribed to the list, so if this does get through, just email me at: ZSalwen@aol.com My Theory: I think it's just some rumor started(if it wasn't a rumor, it would be anyway). here's my evidence: It doesn't sound like something that They would come up with. I mean: Apollo 18, well, that's like them, Factory Showroom, that's like them again, and Then:, well, of COURSE that's them. But compare all those names to "Superfueled Freaksickle." It just doesn't sound right. I mean, what would it have on the cover? All their single covers? There wouldn't be room for that. Also, they wouldn't match, and that wouldn't go with the title "Superfueled Freaksickle." There. That's my theory. Zach "I'm doing a cheap rip-off of Mike Leffel, and I probably spelled his name wrong" Salwen ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706182112.AA04160@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Hope That I Get Old question Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:12:34 -0400 (EDT) > In both the original and demo versions of Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, > each time they sing it, it sounds like they're singing "It's a long long > rope they use to hang YOU soon I hope," but the Then booklet reads "yadda > yadda ME yadda yadda." What do you ppl think? Personally I like the former > better. > I do love that line oh so much, I am positive they say 'YOU', it sure sounds like it, that's how I've been singing it. It makes sense in that twisted TMBG lyrical way. The guy saying it really hates whoever he's referring too. Unless it's one of those suicide songs (I doubt it ;) ) After all, if he hanged himself then he wouldn't get old before he died! /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:16:50 -0400 (EDT) From: "Harlan L. Landes" Subject: TMBG: tape trading Message-ID: so I'm home for the summer and ready to fire up my nice dual-cassette stereo and TRADE!!!! So my list is at http://udel.edu/~spike/tapes.html oh... and if anybody has set up trades with me in the past few months, please send me a note. harlan lincoln@tmbg.org -- Harlan Landes (spike@udel.edu) -- President: MENC Collegiate Chapter #286 -- University of Delaware -- General Education Officer: Phi Mu Alpha -- http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ -- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:36:39 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Message-ID: On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > I think what would be even more feasible would be a TMBG List Slumber Party > at J&J's apartment! Giddy up! We could play Truth or Dare with the Johns! > I'll bring the chips. They'll bring the music. Giddy up! > > Joel "Can I call my mommy to pick me up? My tummy hurts" Gedalius > Anyone with me in giving Sir Gedalius here the Nuttiest Next To Mike award? "Ok, Linnell, your turn! Truth or dare?" "Truth!" "Ok- what do you _really_ say in the second part of 'Become a Robot'?" I wonder what They're jammies look like? With our luck, Linnell sleeps in the nude, and Flans wears a pink bunny jumper. "Linnell! Put that away, son!" Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:42:59 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706182142.QAA23339@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLC stuff.. >would probably be more difficult. While I really like the idea of having a >listes-only concert, I think, even with all the lurkers out there (you Why is this a good idea? It just seems like limiting who can listen to the glory of TMBG. I'd sooner prefer a concert where listees are banned, so TMBG can get more new fans. Mitch ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199706182149.QAA25304@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:49:31 -0500 (CDT) > "Ok, Linnell, your turn! Truth or dare?" > "Truth!" > "Ok- what do you _really_ say in the second part of 'Become a Robot'?" Oh, but wait! That'd be the greatest way to make the "us" concert work! "Hey, John... Truth or dare?" "Um, how 'bout dare?" "YES! Haha! You've gotta give us a concert! PpPpPPpppPppPPp!" It'd be great! Cyborg "Pez" Kucera - http://www.earthreach.com/~pez - pez@earthreach.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:46:02 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706182146.QAA11458@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: XTC >Anyway... I know some of you are XTC fans... >I have Drums & Wires and Skylarking, I really like Skylarking, but I don't >like Drums & Wires... what album would you recommend buying? (Perhaps >Nonsuch? their latest one?) ... Also, did they break up, or are they just >not touring and not recording an album? Don't like Drums & Wires? Blasphemy. Nonsuch is much closer to Skylarking than it is to Drums & Wires (musically, as well as chronologically) and is a great album. I'd recommend it. They did not break up. They seldom tour, ever since Andy Partridge got terrible stage fright sometime in the early 80's. The occasionally do random performances, but it's not very often. They had pretty bad contract problems with their record company, and I think they are almost done with the negotiations. It was pretty nasty, but word on the XTC list is that we should have a couple new albums before too long. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:45:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706182145.RAA22465@smtp2.erols.com> From: SadlyBear Subject: TMBG: pic of our singing sawster, blah blah blah There's a pic of Julian Koster singing saw guy, in his band Neutral Milk Hotel(?), playing an old looking accordion, in the June 12th Rolling Stone, if anyone wants to check that out. Its in the performance section. Well I'm desubscribing from the regular list soon. This list has fallen into a well and even Lassie wont save it. Why isnt the list being moderated with the personal flames and blathering thats been posted? its more work for Leo, but I hope not all of the listers want to join Mike Leffel's fan club or hear about it. I dont see how anyone could really think TMBG would play a show for listers. Besides they're not being enough people (even with 500 listers, few would make a trip to NY if they're not within a couple hundred miles), and like I think someone said, They dont care at all to cater to their fans the way Moxy Fruvous or Jewel do. not at all. I can't imagine that JOhn and John would give that a minute's thought...they's say no, undoubtedly. Oh yeah, and it's really doubtful that any of their CDs will ever be named "Matt's Life Savings"; I already took care of that problem. No need to thank me, you're all very welcome. =) blah blah blah... Ellen Kao not secretly ironic, just something else ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-= "This is where I let my pain go. This is where footprints dance in the snow." ===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-==-===-===-===-===-===-===-== ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-169 ******************************