Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-171 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 171 Saturday, 21 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell TMBG: Rob's over his 8th grade jinx TMBG: Re: OMLC Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC TMBG: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful things TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful things TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC idea... probably the most feasable Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell Re: TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell TMBG: OMLCs and OMLTs and nude Johns, oh my! TMBG: Immortal Re: TMBG: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! Re: TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful Re: TMBG: Penguin vs deathwish TMBG: TMBG Dial-a-song (none) TMBG: Official Mailing List Party Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! Re: TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful things Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) TMBG: stautue got me high TMBG: My valuable observations. Re: NON-TMBG: FRANK ZAPPA Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG TMBG: Re: My valuable observations. Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! TMBG: Guest list for OMLC TMBG: smells like teen spirit Re: TMBG: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! TMBG: Fwd: Kitman's teacher response from Kitman Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! TMBG: TMBG Digest NON-TMBG: Philadelphia, Trout Fishing Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-169 Non-TMBG: XTC Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG & Home & Away & Custard TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: TMBG and me. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 TMBG: I opened up the window and said "Idea Thief!" Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-169 Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC hotels Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199706192040.PAA08620@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:28:50 -0500 BWAHAHAHAHHA!!! I've defeated you yet again, McGuire! FOR A PALINDROME TO WORK, IT MUST BE SPELLED CORRECTLY! BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!! ^_^ You silly fool! You ninny! I triumph yet again! Mike "Meanwhile, in Ortho, North Vietnam, Mike Leffell feels very unloved suddenly as missiles of an unnamed nature fly towards him" Leffel > > Mike Leffell is my arch nemesis. > > ~~~~Members of the Mike Leffell Hate club~~~~ > #00000001 - Kevin McGuire > #33 Mike Leffell > #? - Ellen Kao > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > Were growing strong! > > Would you like to join? E-mail me. And make sure your Ak47 is well > oiled. > > Kevin "No middle name" McGuire Oh, and when I get my own Mailing List, PLEASE feel free purists, to come on and talk about TMBG ad infinitum, OkaY? ^_^ Mike "The Irony Would Make Me Do Bodily Things Of An Improper-To-Mention-To-The-List Nature" Leffel ONE FREAKING MORE DAY TO THE NEW BATMAN MOVIE! WEEEEEEEELAAA!!!! SURE I KNOW IT'S GONNA BE CRAP BUT HEY, IT'S BATMAN! IT'S LIKE VOTING! WE'RE ALL SCREWED ANYWAY, BUY GO SIT IN THE LITTLE BOOTH ON NOVEMBER! ACTUALLY IT'S NOTHING LIKE VOTING! YOU KNOW THEY REALLY SCREW OVER THE BATMAN MOTIF IN THIS ONE! PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE MOVIE IS *NOTHING* LIKE THE COMIC, AND WE'LL KEEP THE LIGHTS ON FOR YOU! HEY, ANYONE ELSE A FAN OF THOSE COMMERCIALS? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:48:28 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Rob's over his 8th grade jinx Message-Id: Ok, bang bang. I graduated 8th grade. I'm cool. So anyway, during the graduation ceremony, they're showing pictures of everyone, and some interesting music is playing. It has no significance to the pictures. All of a sudden, my picture comes on, and over the speakers comes: "COME ON, AND WRECK MY CAR!" I was in shock. I don't know who picked the music for this, but they played wreck my car through all alone. Very cool. Rob Grabill. "I feel like a quote out of context" -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A9C768.D82@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:57:28 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Re: OMLC Perhaps I'm missing out on the point here, but shouldn't the big listie tmbg concert be in Oklahoma (insert slogan about flesh and wheat here)? Or am I now the only one who recalls such ideas? -- People say love is a game, a game you just can't win. If there's a way, I'll find it some day and happiness will rush in. --Paul Anka -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:13:38 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Ruprecht wrote: > Perhaps I'm missing out on the point here, but shouldn't the big listie > tmbg concert be in Oklahoma (insert slogan about flesh and wheat here)? > Or am I now the only one who recalls such ideas? I think it should be in Seattle because we have coffee and stuff. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970619184636.007dd490@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 18:46:36 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! I have a suggestion to make: Someone [1] should creat an all-encompassing SUPERFAQ on TMBG, including all of the Early Years FAQ, the FAQ, and TMBG.ORG I suggest that it be encompassed into the TMBG.ORG structure, and replace both aforementioned FAQs. I think this would be good, because it would add some more organazation to the FAQ, eliminate overlap between different resources (ie, Purple Toupee interp on tmbg.org and in the FAQ) Also, it would be a much better-organized resource. It could be divided up chronologically, song interps would, or course, remain in their current form, and the new SUPERFAQ would be divided up by albums, like the sections of the FAQ would be: Pre-1986, They Might Be Giants, Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry, Factory Showroom, Current Projects.... at the top of each of these sections would be a reminder: for questions about individual songs, see the interp archive (so, questions like "where did the backwards message come from?" would be included in the interp.) Well, it's an idea anyway. I would be willing to make it in the first place, but I'm not sure if I would be willing to maintain/update it. It would probably interfere with many people's work anyway. Thoughts? -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706200116.LAA15160@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful things Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:16:29 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" A quick note from the abyss.... I just rememebered somethign interesting (IMHO) last night while I was watching Home & Away.....did any of you guys see it on a Monday night a few weeks- a month ago......in the background, hanging happily upon Shannon & Sallys bedroom wall was none other than the factory sowroom tour poster (the black & white thinggy). Hey like I said, -I- thought it was interesting. Tamara. p.s. Custard are back in Sydney soon...is anyone else more than happy? -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||DrPepper||tryptophane||Magiclunchbox||mrpatchumpatchum|| yublocka@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970619212821.007ddc20@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:28:21 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner everyone who owns A Testimonial Dinner, the XTC tribute album may want to get out their booklets... You may notice under TMBG's listing a Eric Sanko: bass Who is this? was this the only time he played with them? When was this song recorded? -ec PS. you may also notice Graham Maby, playing with Joe Jackson. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706200207.AA05219@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful things Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:07:35 -0400 (EDT) > I just rememebered somethign interesting (IMHO) last night while I was > watching Home & Away.....did any of you guys see it on a Monday night a few > weeks- a month ago......in the background, hanging happily upon Shannon & > Sallys bedroom wall was none other than the factory sowroom tour poster (the > black & white thinggy). > > Hey like I said, -I- thought it was interesting. > p.s. Custard are back in Sydney soon...is anyone else more than happy? Two questions: 1) What is Home & Away? 2) What is Custard? Thank you. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706200209.AA05226@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:09:37 -0400 (EDT) > everyone who owns A Testimonial Dinner, the XTC tribute album may want to > get out their booklets... > > You may notice under TMBG's listing a Eric Sanko: bass Why, he is the coffee man, didn't you know? > > Who is this? was this the only time he played with them? When was this song > recorded? My guess would be right around the time the tribute was put out (I don't have my CD handy to look at the copyright date) or do you mean the original (which was done around 1986 I believe)? > PS. you may also notice Graham Maby, playing with Joe Jackson. Maby he did, Maby he didn't ;) /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33A9B04D.6EE3@baka.com> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:18:53 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! > > That was about twenty minutes ago and shitty song after shitty song is > still playing. The DJ sounded very enthusiastic about Them so I'm pretty > sure he'll play it. I hope so! My money's not on it. DJ's always say that. No matter how much I pester, my local DJs will never, ever, ever play TMBG. And last night, the DJ was playing Six Degrees of Trent Reznor(ugh). You know the drill, if you can give the DJ a song that's within six degrees of the man himself, Trent(ugh), he'll play it. And I tried and tried to think of a way to connect trent to TMBG, but couldn't. Part of me was releived, but another part was pissed off that I missed what might have been my one opportunity to get some TMBG besides Istanbul and Particle Man on the air. I finally settled for connecting Trent to the Violent Femmes, and getting him to play Kiss Off, one of my favorite songs of all time. But the point is, can anyone think of a link between tmbg and trent(ugh)? Work with me here, people. And on an interesting side note, the station refuses to even listen to my own band, Moron Muffin, covering MMMBop. And when we say cover, we mean COVER. Think distortion. Think wild drum fills. Think screaming. "FLOWERS!! TREES!!! FRIENDSHIP!!! MMMBOP MMMBOP MMMBOP!! F_CK!" Fun fun fun. -- "I trust you will tell me if I am making a fool of myself"-Pavement Jonah > ONE FREAKING MORE DAY TO THE NEW BATMAN MOVIE! COOL! I'm not the only one eagerly anticipating seeing Ah-nuld trying painfully to act while dressed in a silly outfit and painted blue. And Uma Therman. And bat-nipples. And really cheesy dialogue. ANd Uma Therman. And the introduction of... BATGIRL, aka CLUELESS CHICK!! And have I mentioned Uma Therman yet? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:38:28 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706200238.UAA29968@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC idea... probably the most feasable At 10:51 PM 6/18/97 -0700, you wrote: >> I mean they could go >> to a friend of Flans's house and call with their phone, > >look at this sentance people... and realize what we all think of >linnell. I know if I were writing this, I would have probably said the >same thing... we all think that linnell doesnt have any freinds... > >Does he? Actually, I didn't mean it like that when I wrote it. It's just that Flans is easier to spell than Line- Lenn- Leff- the other guy's name. Unless, subconsiously, I WAS thinking that the entire time. Ooh, eerie! Dave Simpson LotharCo We're the discontinuity people Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AA1776.C711B5C7@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:39:02 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell > BWAHAHAHAHHA!!! I've defeated you yet again, McGuire! > > FOR A PALINDROME TO WORK, IT MUST BE > SPELLED CORRECTLY! ARG! Foiled again! Come, poopsy. *motions to the gorillia in the corner* But, Ill get you next time, leffel! You hear me! No more of these shenanigans! (see if THAT goes through the spell check) *pulls on gorrillas upper chest and an entryway opens.* *steps into gorilla* We shall meet again leffel! And, when I have you at my mercy, I shall leave and let you face death alone, because I am a villain! BOOUAAHHHHHAHAAHHAHAAH!!!!!! Man, this monkey smells real bad... why dont I use animals that smell good as my cyborg escape pods? Oh well. *Gorrilla blasts off into the heavens and hits a mountain.* Ow. Dr. McGuire AKA "The cobbler" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AA09E6.1C85@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:41:10 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner Evan Chakroff wrote: > > everyone who owns A Testimonial Dinner, the XTC tribute album may want to > get out their booklets... > > You may notice under TMBG's listing a Eric Sanko: bass It can probably be inferred that this is just a bassist that the producer picked out as John and John seemed to be between Tony and Graham at the time. > Who is this? was this the only time he played with them? When was this song > recorded? > > -ec > > PS. you may also notice Graham Maby, playing with Joe Jackson. Graham Maby is Joe Jackson's old bassist. TMBG: sort of like Ringo's All Starr Band, but with smaller starrs... -- You write on paper, but I write on human skin, which is infinitely more irksome and ticklish. --Katherine the Great. -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:42:46 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > Would you like to join? E-mail me. And make sure your Ak47 is well > oiled. > I'll join! Yeah! Yeah! Stefanie "Get me, I'm a double agent!" Elliott d'oh! Me and my big mouth... :) Ha! smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:51:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970619225108_-462107765@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLCs and OMLTs and nude Johns, oh my! > My thought was an east coast and a west coast thing. Like >perhaps something in the DC area for the east, and the LA area for the >west. I bet you could attract 400-500 "internet" fans for each. Why, yes. DC would be very nice. Yes indeed. >> I think what would be even more feasible would be a TMBG List Slumber Party >> at J&J's apartment! Giddy up! We could play Truth or Dare with the Johns! >> I'll bring the chips. They'll bring the music. Giddy up! ... >I wonder what They're jammies look like? With our luck, Linnell sleeps >in the nude, and Flans wears a pink bunny jumper. >"Linnell! Put that away, son!" Oh stop that. Truth or dare with John Linnell, and now sleeping in the nude?! Are you trying to send me back into a coma or what? Anyway, that could be pretty dangerous for Mr. Linnell, supposing he foolishly chose "dare" and all of us little squealing listie worshippers were around. Actually, just about anything you play at a party could put him in the same precarious position... I mean, Twister? Spin the bottle? Yikes. If he was scared of us before... Anyway, I was just musing about this List Concert thing and thinking, "Wow, what a great reason to buy an OMLT." Wouldn't it be great if everyone (well, realistically, many people) wore an OMLT to this concert, assuming it ever happened? I can just imagine looking out over a sea of OMLT-clad TMBG-lovers pogoing happily as the Johns belt out the tunes... actually, I bet that's what heaven looks like... Speaking of which (OMLTs, that is), my post office trip is scheduled for tomorrow (Friday). Gonna walk up to that counter, slap that package down, and shout "Weigh 'er up good, pasty postal-boy! An' git me postage rates from here to yo momma's place." Well, maybe not exactly like that, but you get the point. I will then come home and post the postage rates for different areas. People in the US will have the cheapest rate, of course, followed by our friendly moose-loving (not *that* way) Canadian neighbors, followed by our European pals, followed by you poor bastards in Australia. You Aussies may be paying through your arses for shipping, I'm afraid. But it'll all be worth it in the end. Anyhow, I will then unveil my mysterious address, remind all you slackers of the OMLT cost (approx. $9.20, American currency of course) and wait for the checks to start rolling in. And here is what I have decided to do about checks, by the way. I will regrettably need two seperate checks from each of you. One will be the OMLT price, and one for shipping. Shirt checks will be made out to Eastland Screen Prints (I think) and shipping checks made out to moi (also I think). I hope this is not a massive inconvenience for you all, but it makes my job a thousand times simpler. "Hey, what's an OMLT?" If you have to ask this question, it is the Official Mailing List T-shirt, and I'm sorry to say that you are too late to order one. I really can't take any more orders. Sorry. Your dutiful OMLT Goddess signing off. --Christy P.S. Hey, you! Visit www.freakish.net/btr and see five sexy guys. Oh yeah, and they play some music, too. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:15:14 -0400 From: Eeyore Message-ID: <33A9F5C2.AF6@haven.ios.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Immortal Chris Bongaarts wrote: > > In the immortal words of Brett Ballantini: > Whoa Is he an immortal too? Bye, Vera ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970620132459.0069ac94@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:24:59 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: TMBG: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! >Someone [1] should creat an all-encompassing SUPERFAQ on TMBG, including >all of the Early Years FAQ, the FAQ, and TMBG.ORG Yeah, but at the top should be big lettering saying DON'T PRINT THIS DOCUMENT!!! Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- "I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now."-Steve Wright ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970620132211.0069ac94@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:22:11 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful >Two questions: >1) What is Home & Away? >2) What is Custard? >Thank you. >/Matt Home and Away is (IMHO) a crappy Australian half hour soapie, and Custard is the greatest band Australia has ever produced (well, maybe after Weddings, Parties, Anything). If Sally's (a character in H&A) a TMBG fan though my estimation of the show has just gone up considerably. I might even stop making comments on how networks should stop throwing money at this tired old stuff and create some truly great original Aussie television. Then again I might not... but it's a step in the right direction... maybe I'll just disclude H&A from the term "tired old stuff". Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- "I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now."-Steve Wright ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:32:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970619233211_1891703192@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Penguin vs deathwish For a long time I swore up and down that Flans was saying "penguin", but now that I listen to it more closely, he is unmistakeably saying "deathwish" Those that think ppenguin, listen again REALLY carefully an ddon't try to hear penguin. SUZZIE5808 Do any of you like the Psychedelic Furs??? I fear I am the only one...... ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:37:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Dial-a-song Message-ID: <19970619.233745.3862.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> I called it (DAS) a few times. One of the songs I never heard before. It was a song about the Edison Laboratory. It was pretty cool. Thank you to all people who responded to my survey. I enjoyed your answers. In the future, I will keep my messages short and much less stupid. I may sound like one, but I am not a newbie. (To the internet or TMBG) Sorry everyone! --D. Hutch P.S.-- I forgot to mention that I have the Video Compilation. My favorite part is the building that says "Entire Snake Building." No, wait! It is the red hands clapping in front of the moon..... NO!!!! My favorite part is when the Johns say "Ads up in the subway are the work of someone tryin to please their boss...", and then Flans slaps the back of his neck and Linnell sticks out his tongue! HAAAAAAA!!!!!! Guffawwwwww!!!!!!!! Wheat! Wheat! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970619.234819.4271.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:47:21 EDT Beloved List, Well I am going away for a week and I must say good-bye again... of course I'll be back... and I know you will miss the update of my favorite TMBG song( I realize it has been Certain People ICN for a while, but it WAS SEXXY for about an hour today!)... and I know you'll miss the interesting fact I include in my sig(ok! OK! it has been that Tambo <-> Tampon thing for a while.. but I am accumulating facts and it will change soon, don't blink! it already has!)... but alas... I must go because of the fact that I don't want 1,345,471,457,257,953,626,354,999 messages in my box when I come back (interesting fact: 123,824,246,457,134 of those posts will be about Mike Leffel) so I am bringing all of my TMBG tapes and I will see you all in one week... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Certain People I Could Name Interesting Fact - Ever seen "The Adventures of Pete and Pete"? The band that sings the theme song is connected to TMBG: The band is Polaris... Three of the members in the band used to be in Miracle Legion... Miracle Legion put an album out call "Glad" with guests Pere Ubu Pere Ubu's bassist is Tony Maimone Tony Maimone was bassist for TMBG at one time... and there you go! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:40:43 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Official Mailing List Party Message-ID: I beleive someone has mentioned this before, and I said something about it as an alternative to the OMLC, and in fact, I'm still lobbying for it. I think it'd be fun! And more practicle than a concert! Or an e-mail chat! (Though I think that might actually be possible) And cheaper! And easier! And...well... This way, lack of sponsoring could not deter us, we could have a cookout (yum!), we could play all the TMBG we want and not get stoned (take that however you wish. I meant rocks.), deadlines would be not so much a problem. Think! How much fun! We could have it at my house! (Oh, yeah, my parents would _love_ that.) So? What do you think, sirs? I mean, as far as any official planning is concerned, that can wait until we actually think this might happen. I think it'd be fun! I'd come! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:11:29 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706200411.XAA28543@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! >another part was pissed off that I missed what might have been my one >opportunity to get some TMBG besides Istanbul and Particle Man on the >air. I finally settled for connecting Trent to the Violent Femmes, and >getting him to play Kiss Off, one of my favorite songs of all time. But >the point is, can anyone think of a link between tmbg and trent(ugh)? >Work with me here, people. Well, Gordon Gano was going to do a CD for Hello Recording Club... Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706200415.OAA04859@wumpus.its.uow.edu.au> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG & Home & Away or. how to link two wonderful things Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:15:23 +1000 (EST) From: "yublocka" Once upon a time there was a person called Brownie...... > > Home and Away is (IMHO) a crappy Australian half hour soapie, and Custard A crappy soapie perhaps, but a wonderful comedy! > is the greatest band Australia has ever produced (well, maybe after > Weddings, Parties, Anything). Agreed (until the parenthesised part anyway). Out of curiousity, did any of you Northerners see them recently when they toured America/Canada? They've been over there for the past few months recording their 3rd album. I'd be quite interested to hear your opinins of em if you did. > If Sally's (a character in H&A) a TMBG fan though my estimation of the show > has just gone up considerably. I might even stop making comments on how > networks should stop throwing money at this tired old stuff and create some > truly great original Aussie television. > Then again I might not... but it's a step in the right direction... maybe > I'll just disclude H&A from the term "tired old stuff". Well, I wouldn't go quite that far, considering some of the other posters they also stick up on their walls. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but for some reason I do recall a Whigfield one among the lot. Tamara. -- ||tam(ara)||yublocka||DrPepper||tryptophane||Magiclunchbox||mrpatchumpatchum|| yublocka@tmbg.org My apartment looks upside down from there Water spirals the wrong way out the sink And her voice is a backwards record It's like a whirlpool and it never ends -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AA060F.16A8@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:24:47 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Mailing List CONCERT (OMLC) Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > Definately, > This is what i'm saying... large corporations don't care the extent of > their advertisement as long as they're getting it...now keep in mind this > is coming from someone that owns a grip of stock in pepsico... > > So what I need to know... is there anyone out there that would be willing > to get on this fundraising bit? Cuz personally, i hate doing that kind > of stuff cuz well i'm not all that convincing so... if I can get some > volunteers to do this I will call up all my connections... I could do some fund-raising. I mean, not many people would stick money in a jar just for the OMLC, but it's worth a shot... Or we could get those lil' boxes of candy bars and sell them all over the place. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706200441.VAA01866@f46.hotmail.com> From: "matt banham" Subject: TMBG: stautue got me high Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:41:15 PDT To anyone who cares, I recently read in an australain magazine called back and white, that that the statue got me high was written about the 1986 challenger space disaster. This is probably common knowledge but i only just found out. the giants must have a pretty unusual perspective on the world. from Matt * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:52:44 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: My valuable observations. Message-ID: Hi again. Well, first, I'd like to put to rest the question of whether or not the version of Don't Let's Start on THEN is the same as the one on the Pink album, as this subject has come up from time to time regardless of everyone's best interests. Anyway, I now state unequivocally that the THEN version is NOT the original album version but is in fact the single remix. Listen to the two consecutively and I am sure you will see that I am right. I tend to prefer the original album version for it has more crispy percussion. I can't for the life of me figure out why the single mix was chosen for THEN when its inclusion alters, no matter how minutely, the integrity of the original document. Second, I want to remind everyone that our friend Phil Bickel still has some copies remaining of the first issue of his zine BACKSPACE. This is notable for containing an exclusive interview with TMBG producer and golf caddy Pat Dillett. You can find out more by emailing Backspace@as-if.com. On the subject of Shane Ham, I'm a Canadian and if he stopped making fun of me, I'd be very disappointed. Find out more about how I am fucking up his internet webzine JournalX with my wacky fiction column Playground Justice by going to the address below. And remember, mine and Mr. Klaw's legendary webpage Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour still exists, and beckons you forth. You know you want to. That's it for now. MIKe (not Leffel, the other one, the first one). *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AA1055.181@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 01:08:37 -0400 From: Phillip Kent Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FRANK ZAPPA Brett and Ben, I too am a Frank Zappa fan. In fact, a WGI line I was in did a tribute to him. We played "Village of the Sun" and I was facinated by it. Hope we're not a dieing breed. (Zappa fans that is) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:35:45 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Ruprecht wrote: > Perhaps I'm missing out on the point here, but shouldn't the big listie > tmbg concert be in Oklahoma (insert slogan about flesh and wheat here)? > Or am I now the only one who recalls such ideas? > Well...yes...and I know what you're talking about despite not having been here for the original discussion. I believe it _was_ mentioned, but you know how those newbies are... (I'm just kidding! Please don't hurt me.) Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Michelle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG Date: Fri, 20 Jun 97 23:57:19 PDT ---------- | > | > That was about twenty minutes ago and shitty song after shitty song is | > still playing. The DJ sounded very enthusiastic about Them so I'm pretty | > sure he'll play it. I hope so! | My money's not on it. DJ's always say that. No matter how much I pester, | my local DJs will never, ever, ever play TMBG. Welcome to the world of commercial radio... it's called a playlist. And last night, the DJ | was playing Six Degrees of Trent Reznor(ugh). You know the drill, if you | can give the DJ a song that's within six degrees of the man himself, | Trent(ugh), he'll play it. And I tried and tried to think of a way to | connect trent to TMBG, but couldn't. But | the point is, can anyone think of a link between tmbg and trent(ugh)? | Work with me here, people. I will ignore your pessimism to Mr. Reznor, as I am always up for a challenge, and being a fan of the Trent and the Johns that I am, had to give it a try. So, I can name that tune in 5 notes... TMBG covered 25 o'clock, which was originally done by XTC, whose song Dear God was covered by SARAH MCLACHLAN who also covered the song Solbury Hill by PETER GABRIEL whose song Taboo appears on the Natural Born Killers Soundtrack which was produced by TRENT REZNOR. Do I win a prize? Michelle ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AA49B5.20173070@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 02:13:33 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Re: My valuable observations. 99 and 44/100% MIKe! wrote: > Hi again. > > Well, first, I'd like to put to rest the question of whether > or > not the version of Don't Let's Start on THEN is the same as the one on > the > Pink album, as this subject has come up from time to time regardless > of > everyone's best interests. Anyway, I now state unequivocally that the > > THEN version is NOT the original album version but is in fact the > single > remix. Listen to the two consecutively and I am sure you will see > that I > am right. I tend to prefer the original album version for it has more > > crispy percussion. I can't for the life of me figure out why the > single > mix was chosen for THEN when its inclusion alters, no matter how > minutely, > the integrity of the original document. Actually, Mike, I believe the version of Don't Let's Start on Then: is neither the single version or the version appearing on Pink, in fact, all of the songs from the Pink album (and probably all the other songs on Then:) are altered, taking down the treble and making them sound a bit nicer. It's a brilliant move, the songs sound great and it actually makes it worth my spending 25 dollars on an otherwise worthless piece of plastic. If anyone's heard differently, feel free to smack me down off my pedestal. -- You write on paper, but I write on human skin, which is infinitely more irksome and ticklish. --Katherine the Great. -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706201010.TAA14229@inetnif.niftyserve.or.jp> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:08:00 +0900 From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2YwZkJnPXUbKEI=?= Subject: Re: TMBG: Six Degrees of TMBG >So, I can name that tune in 5 notes... > >TMBG covered 25 o'clock, which was originally done by >XTC, whose song Dear God was covered by >SARAH MCLACHLAN who also covered the song Solbury Hill by >PETER GABRIEL whose song Taboo appears on the Natural Born Killers >Soundtrack which was produced by >TRENT REZNOR. > >Do I win a prize? > >Michelle I can top that TMBG covered 25 o'clock, which was originally done by XTC, whose best of compilation Fossil Fuel's cover was adorned by a photo of a shell which is identical to the shell on the Downward Spiral cd by Nine Inch Nails which is TRENT REZNOR n? Daisuke Nakai ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:41:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! by Jonah@baka.com > air. I finally settled for connecting Trent to the Violent Femmes, and > getting him to play Kiss Off, one of my favorite songs of all time. But > the point is, can anyone think of a link between tmbg and trent(ugh)? > Work with me here, people. yup. if you can connect trent(ugh) to the VF in 5 or less, TMBG have opened for them before (and they've opened for TMBG - also TMBG have worked with Gordon Gano on something), so that's 6 (or less) to TMBG. (of course, if it's 6 to the VF then it doesn't work...) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706201259.IAA09433@thor.infi-pos.com> From: "Carrie Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Guest list for OMLC Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:55:13 -0400 If we put a post with one persons e-mail on both the list and the newsgroup, we should be able to get the guest list made. My main concern is that we find out if the Johns are willing to do this. Maybe calling their booking agency, and see if they are willing. Without THEM this will be a lot of hard work for nothing. One more thing......if you guys REALLY want this (and I mean more than just talk) then I will do my best to help. Since I live close to NYC, it would not be a problem for me to make the calls and such. I would need people to help and 2 people said they would. Also, we should talk to the booking agency before we decide where it will be because they could help us with this. Carrie Hoffmann * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- "I'm crazy, but I get the job done!" - Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706201301.AA05490@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: smells like teen spirit Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:01:26 -0400 (EDT) why do I have this sinking feeling that TMBG had done a (parody) cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana? Maybe a Stumpbox song? hmm, maybe I am just going crazy. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:02:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! Message-ID: On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > Someone [1] should creat an all-encompassing SUPERFAQ on TMBG, including > all of the Early Years FAQ, the FAQ, and TMBG.ORG Yeah, I had the idea for a meta-FAQ back when tmbg.org was begun. I still think it's a good idea, but here are the problems I came across: 1) Like Evan, I'm not sure how good I'd be about updating it, though I would be more than willing to set it up and try my best to keep up. 2) I don't want to step on toes. Myke and John have put a lot of work into their respective FAQs, and I don't want to belittle or pirate their work by creating some sort of "master document." 3) My original idea was just to make an index of questions and have them link to the parts of the FAQ and EYFAQ that were relevant. However, this presents the additional problem of keeping the questions pointed to the right answers. On the other hand, copying the actual text of the questions presents even more copyright questions. Ack. One more note that may be relevant: I've been toying with the idea of a new master structure for tmbg.org. New things are in the works, such as games like Giant Trivia (email me if you want to help create questions), and this FAQ very well could be part of this. Anyway, many links fit in to a few main categories, and others will be expanded, which may alter the overall format of the main page and immediate subpages. Just a thought. Anyway, if you can address any of the issues I raised above, mail me or the list (depending on whether your content is interesting for others to read :-) ). -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:35:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970620113534_980249978@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Fwd: Kitman's teacher response from Kitman I while back I mentioned that my assitant principal taught Jamie Kitman in HS. Anyway, since I couldn't get Jaime's email, I wrote to his dad who works for Newsday (Long Island paper). I sent it a while ago and I got a response today. Joel --------------------- Forwarded message: From: MarvinKitmanShow@worldnet.att.net (Marvin Kitman) To: Yoel97@aol.com Date: 97-06-20 03:15:28 EDT Yoel97@aol.com wrote: > > Hello! > > I am a student of Dr. Vicki Karant, the assistant principal at my school. > She says that she taught Jaime in HS in NJ. I just wanted to tell you that > I am a big fan of your column in Newsday and of They Might Be Giants. I > never realized that you were related. You look very much alike. That's all. > I just wanted to tell you that I enjoy you and your son. I would be very > appreciative if you could pass this on to him as I do not know if he has > email. > > Thank you, > Joel Gedalius Joel: Thanks for your nice words about the Kitmans work. I've sent your letter on to Jamie. And say hello to Dr. Vicki Karant. We all know her well. Marvin Kitman ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:00:22 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! Message-ID: On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: RADIO! AAUUGGHH!! > by Jonah@baka.com > > air. I finally settled for connecting Trent to the Violent Femmes, and > > getting him to play Kiss Off, one of my favorite songs of all time. But > > the point is, can anyone think of a link between tmbg and trent(ugh)? > > Work with me here, people. Does it have to be a MUSIC connection? Because Niel Gaiman (sp?) who writes Sandman comics mentions TMBG in one issue...he's a good friend of Tori Amos...Trent sings a part on her Under the Pink album... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:26:16 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Digest Message-ID: <19970620.123213.3854.1.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Why didn't I get the wednesday or today,s (Fri.) issue? Isn't there one every day? --D. Hutch ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706201638.AA05690@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia, Trout Fishing Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:38:47 -0400 (EDT) Hi, I have 2 questions, which are indirectly related to Moxy Fruvous. 1) Has anyone been to the Philadelphia Folk Festival (coming up August 23/24) at which MF is playing? 2) Has anyone heard the music of Trout Fishing in America and if so could he/she describe it? They are playing the same festival. oh and 1 more: 3) I can't believe I didn't know MF was playing right here in Baltimore on June 12 and I missed it and now all they're playing is Festivals when I'd rather just see them! grr /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:41:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970620134144_-1730991053@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-169 >i was also married to Steph "kumquat" Wishnick.) Here's hoping you didn't harbour her. ;) (I'm sure I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.) sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:58:57 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jennifer L. Geese" Subject: Non-TMBG: XTC Message-Id: "Charles Box" wrote: > > Basically it is a shortened one-CD version of the double CD UK collection, > focusing more on recent songs... oh and for some reason it has Chalkhills > and Children which isn't even a single... but a great song.... Ok - I'm going to try and take this one and clear up all of the confusion. (JHB, I halfway expected you to do this. You're letting me down, buddy. :) ) Fossil Fuel was the singles collection, on which only the singles were released. It is a comprehensive, 2 CD collection of all of the singles that they have released in the 15 year span that the collection covers (1977 - 1992). Upsy Daisy Assortment (also known as the WUSSY album in certain circles) is a release of songs chosen by God-knows-who, presumably the boys, to be on this compilation. While most of the songs are available on FF, there are four that were never released as singles: Funk Pop A Roll, Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her, Kiss Her, Earn Enough for Us, and Chalkhills and Children. The songs on UDA (and FF, for that matter) are all available on their various albums. Evan Chakroff wrote: > I would like to get XTC's Fossil Fuel, the single compilation, UK release > only (correct?) Does anyone know of a place I could order it online? > Perhaps for cheaper than ordering it at my local music retailer... > > If I remember correctly, (from a few months ago, the last time I thought > about getting more XTC stuff) It was released in two versions... one > normal, and one gold/delux/special/ltd edition or something? Or maybe I'll > just go buy the greatest hit's-type thing you all mentioned. > If my knowledge is correct, while FF is a UK release, it was fairly available over here in the US. I got my copy at a Harmony House, and while Best Buy and Media Play may not have it, or even know about it, a Harmony House type store might have it or be able to get it for you. You are correct, it was released in two versions. Both sound the same, but the limited edition cover has a raised version of the ammonite? on the booklet on it. Given a choice of either, I'd take FF, simply because it contains almost double the amount of music that UDA does. I hope this clears this issue up. Jen "Dear God, don't know if you've noticed, but..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706201832.NAA06206@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:20:36 -0500 > > > BWAHAHAHAHHA!!! I've defeated you yet again, McGuire! > > > > FOR A PALINDROME TO WORK, IT MUST BE > > SPELLED CORRECTLY! > > ARG! Foiled again! Come, poopsy. *motions to the gorillia in the > corner* But, Ill get you next time, leffel! You hear me! No more of > these shenanigans! (see if THAT goes through the spell check) > > *pulls on gorrillas upper chest and an entryway opens.* > *steps into gorilla* > I tell you, the John Test Cybornetic Escape Rocket Pods are not only cheaper, they come with free cd's! > We shall meet again leffel! Not if you wear THOSE shoes next time. I'll be to embarrased to defeat you! > > And, when I have you at my mercy, I shall leave and let you face death > alone, because I am a villain! > I hope your entrapments are not easily escapable then.. like the giant Fly Swatter, the Tied to a Log and Buzzsaw routine.. Oh, and the fan favorite,.. locking me up in a giant cage that is shaped like Larry King, then lowering said cage into a boiling puddin' pit. I loved that one! > Man, this monkey smells real bad... why dont I use animals that smell > good as my cyborg escape pods? Oh well. > > *Gorrilla blasts off into the heavens and hits a mountain.* > > Ow. > Ha Ha! Mike "I tinkered with your Flying Gorrilla's Steering Doohickey!" Leffel > Dr. McGuire AKA "The cobbler" Sgt. York: Cobble! Cobble! Cobble! Nazi Trooper (looks up): Huh?! Sgt: York: KAPOW! (hit's Nazi in the head) ---Repeat until York gets a medal. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:54:33 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG & Home & Away & Custard Message-ID: On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, yublocka wrote: RE: Custard > > is the greatest band Australia has ever produced (well, maybe after > > Weddings, Parties, Anything). > > Out of curiousity, did any of you Northerners see them recently when they > toured America/Canada? They've been over there for the past few months > recording their 3rd album. I'd be quite interested to hear your opinins of > em if you did. They were the first opening band for the Presidents of the United States of America when they played here in Seattle a couple of months back. I thought they were OK...maybe it was a slightly off night. :) The singer cracked me up, though. I can't remember the name of the song, but there was one where he put down his guitar and wandered around/lay down on the stage singing. Pretty cool. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970620160243.0084d4d0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:02:43 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Question: was Mono Puff's last tour (last summer?) their *first* tour? I would assume so, seeing as how until then they did not have any widely-released material. Anyway, during that tour, did they primarily play at bars/small clubs? I assume there will be a Mono Puff tour shortly after this break They seem to be taking (after TMBG records the rest of their next album). Does anyone have any confirmed info on any of this? Another question for those of you who have the two latest Mono Puff Hello discs: on "Imaginary Friend" is the instrumentation the same as the version they played on NPR, July 4, 1996 (then "Felt Tip Pen")? Is the trombone intro/solo intact, or replaced by bass? Evan Chakroff ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:47:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: TMBG: TMBG and me. Message-ID: Dave Hutch (tmbgdhutch@juno.com) wrote: > > You guys all sound like you know everything and have everything TMBG. > I wanna see how I measure up here as a TMBG fan. Please take the time to > fill out the following survey: Okay. > 1) How were you introduced to TMBG? (How did you find out about them?) A friend of mine said, one day in early 1991, "Hey, I think you'd like They Might Be Giants!" and he proceeded to copy Flood, TMBG, Lincoln, and the Hotel Detective, Crane, Don't Let's Start, and Istanbul singles onto tapes for me. I instantly became a fan. > 2) Name all the CD's, tapes, records, bootlegs you have. (It may take > awhile!) Currently I have TMBG, Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry, Factory Showroom, Miscellaneous T, Then:, Istanbul single, Back to Skull, and 5-song SEXXY on CD. I have tapes of Live in NYC, two live shows from the Apollo tour (one of which is when the stage collapsed), the 1985 demo, Power of DAS, WDTSS?, B-sides from Guitar, I Pal I, and Statue singles. I have O Tannenbaum and Christmas Cards on vinyl. > 3) Name all the shirts, hats, items, etc. (Like mouse pads, bumper > stickers, concert posters.) (Even home-made stuff) T-shirts: Pearl with purple logo, Hayseed Johns, Tour hats, 2040 Tour, Schpidahh! Other: Postcard set, a couple of random stickers, Factory Showroom lyrics box, Linnell's setlist from 2/19/97 Ypsilanti, MI show. > 4) Something cool that you know or that happened to you. (Related to > TMBG) Well, when They appeared in Wherehouse records in Ann Arbor, MI (2/19/97), as They were leaving, I said "Bye John and John!" as the Johns went past. Then as Dan and Graham went by I said "Bye Dan, bye Graham," and Graham said, "See you later!" -Sean ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970402182130.006e07d8@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:25:57 -0500 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 >I still have my Official Certificate of Marriage to Kari... (I think >i was also married to Steph "kumquat" Wishnick.) While we're on this topci: What's a wishnik? WAIT, I retract that question... - David James Stein ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970402181929.006e3c94@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:25:56 -0500 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 >I was in the movie store a couple weeks ago and I asked if they had the >movie "They Might Be Giants", and they checked their computers and said >they didn't have it in stock. Then the guy checked a bunch of >microfische, and said, "Eureeka! I've found it!" Er, um... don't bother. The movie channel Stars recently ran it over and over again and it was pretty lousy. - David James Stein ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:34:22 -0400 Message-Id: <9706202234.AA10051@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: I opened up the window and said "Idea Thief!" Moose wrote: >> >Erik "Card Carrying member of Moose Humpers of America" Chuss >> I'll be damned, looks like I've got a fan club. What is this? What's next, >> Mike Leffel Humpers of America? Well if they do start an organization like that I am afraid that I would not be able to join. Us Moose Humpers are very strict in our beliefs. A lot of people ask us if we hump Elk (he's on the Cowsills newsgroup). We generally understand their error and we simply reply that we do not then thank them for asking. Then Mike wrote: >Hey, ladies! Join up now and get a free slice of pie! >Mike "I REALLY need people to join up!" Leffel Mmmmmm pie. As for TMBG content.... I still don't think that the Internet concert is a bad idea. Restless or Elektra might sponsor it (hell if Cepacol did then why not Restless or Elektra). Maxwell House would be another good sponsor. Let see who else? Nyquil, Advil, Viper, etc. That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else...... Don't let this idea perish on the rocks of perished ideas. Tis would be too sad an ending for such a noble idea. Erik "Has anyone seen my Moose Humpers card?" Chuss ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:20:38 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706202320.RAA16346@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-169 At 02:36 AM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote: >Hey! I object! It's not cheesy - Mercedes Lackey is a good author. I >actually read this book before I had ever heard TMBG. I just read it >again this weekend, as a matter of fact. He actually doesn't defeat them >so much as keep them from reading his mind. Another good bit in that >section is when he concentrates on the accordion as a powerful magical >weapon. :) I went to the library today. Not only that, but I looked for this book, and you know what? That worthless fire-hazard that is my public library doesn't even have it! I was so upset I even bought "Jagged Little Pill". I just got over my suicidal urge resulting from both events. Anyone who has information on this book (year of pub. etc.) so I can find it and read it (1) would be greatly appreciated (2). (1) As opposed to using it as a replacement sofa leg again (2) But not paid. Sorry. Dave Simpson LotharCo this is it?!!? > >Jen > >"Parrots and lemurs populate your unconscious grotesque." - XTC > > Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:29:18 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706202329.RAA20499@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC hotels At 11:32 AM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote: >I know that for various conventions and such big groups can buy out a >hotel/hotels for a cheap price provided a whole lot of ppl rent it out. >Generally group discounts apply for most things in this world. We could >have the OMLH (Official Mailing List Hotel), but I'd sure like to stay >in room number #7183876962. I doubt there's a hotel that big, but just in case, I want room # number (number, ie #) #7183876962NARR... Dave Simpson LotharCo Once we get started, there's no stopping us Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AB2F22.F3AB12B5@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:33:34 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 D. James Stein wrote: > >I was in the movie store a couple weeks ago and I asked if they had > the > >movie "They Might Be Giants", and they checked their computers and > said > >they didn't have it in stock. Then the guy checked a bunch of > >microfische, and said, "Eureeka! I've found it!" > > Er, um... don't bother. The movie channel Stars recently ran it over > and > over again and it was pretty lousy. It is perhaps not the fantastic on-the-floor-laughing comedy or gigantic action flick that we as foolish humans have come to expect, but it is far from lousy. The plot is rather well established and What's-his-name Scott plays a very nice crazy man. It's a good movie, not quite worth sixty bucks, but well worth a rental. -- You write on paper, but I write on human skin, which is infinitely more irksome and ticklish. --Katherine the Great. -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-171 ******************************