Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-172 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 172 Sunday, 22 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell TMBG: Nickelodeon audio-spotting of fun! Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) TMBG: penguish TMBG: so I rolled down the window and said "MERV GRIFFIN!!!" Re: TMBG: TMBG and me. Re: TMBG: I opened up the window and said "Idea Thief!" Re: TMBG: smells like teen spirit TMBG: Cool event at disneyland. TMBG: Re: various OMLC ideas TMBG: Re: TMBG and me. TMBG: Used Bin Oddity Pt.2 Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) TMBG: Okay: Questions. TMBG:NON TMBG: mp3 player? TMBG: J&J's Musical Preferences TMBG: 2/14 Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. TMBG: Okay: Questions. Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. TMBG: OMLC, XTC, SLTS... TMBG: Don't Let's Start - comparison TMBG: Aaaaaaaaarghhh... TMBG: TMBG in Silence of the Hams? Non-TMBG:E-mail Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:41:44 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706202341.RAA14245@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mike Leffell At 03:18 PM 6/19/97 -0700, you wrote: >Mike Leffell is my arch nemesis. And, being thus, I have created a Mike >leffell hate club. We would be about the basic good things in life, >i.e. destroying the Mike Leffell Fan Club. Yes.. you and your "rabid >obsession to someone I dont even know" will soon be put to rest.... Aww.. Didums get wejected fwum the widdle Mike Weffel Fan Cwub? Poor Baby! Here, have a slurpee. It is the "Ultimate Chill" after all.. Dave Simpson LotharCo But in a way, aren't we *ALL* LotharCo? Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:49:25 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Nickelodeon audio-spotting of fun! Message-ID: I was a-flipping channels today, and came across some weird thing on Nickelodeon where there was this kid slopping about from a sugar-shock. I didn't get it, but it was apparently a report from this kids pancreas. Uh-huh. Anyhoo, in the background was playing "So Long, Mockingbird", 'cept no lyrics. Well aware that it is a cover, this sounded like the Mono Puff version. Wheee! Well, that's all I can say for now. Oh! Another SportsCenter/TMBG thing: I think it was Sunday, and Keith Olbermann said that he wanted to do a James K. Polk themed Plays of the Week due to the anniversary of the beloved president or some other such thing. However, they had to settle for Father's Day, and the JKP theme was not allowed. Too bad! That would have been most interesting. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:50:59 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706202350.RAA20457@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) At 03:51 PM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote: >or even better, an online concert (with real audio or something), then a >chat afterwards. Or even even better: At certain times during the chat, Linnell (or Flans (or Linnell (or John))) would say "Okay, everyone start playing Ana Ng.... NOW!" It's faster, better sound quality, and it's just like there in the room playing just for you! On an unrelated note, what if every TMBG fan in the world, at, say 7:18:38.76.96.2 GMT, were to point every speaker in their house west and play something with a lot of bass, like Whistling In The Dark? How much do you think the resulting sound wave would destroy? Or would it bring life, being from Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love and all? Or would it subconsously cause everyone to fall in love with Them and eventually make them world rulers? If so, who would rule?(1) (1) Just kidding. I throw myself upon the mercy of the almighty Judge "Mike" Leffel in that I may be spared.. Dave Simpson LotharCo We're here to stay. That is until the torch-bearing mob finds us again. Dave Simpson LotharCo Get your MoJo workin' ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:55:56 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 Message-ID: On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Ruprecht wrote: > > over again and it was pretty lousy. > > What's-his-name Scott plays a very nice crazy man. It's a good movie, > not quite worth sixty bucks, but well worth a rental. Once I was wearing my They hat and this guy comes up and says, "Hey, is that the movie, They Might Be Giants?" I said, "Um, no, it's a band, actually." Him: "Oh. Oh yeah." Me: "I've seen the movie, though. It's pretty good." Him: "It's a CLASSIC!" I guess my point is that I thought the movie was pretty good, but not as some people think it is. No, wait--I have no point. Whatever. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706202354.SAA10767@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:43:41 -0500 > Or would it subconsously cause > everyone to fall in love with > Them and eventually make them world rulers? If so, who would rule?(1) > > (1) Just kidding. I throw myself upon the mercy of the almighty Judge > "Mike" Leffel in that I may be > spared.. > Oooh! Oooh! Get me, (*) I'm like the Tribunal from Marvel Comics! A big ol' yellow guy with a purple headdress thingie!. Oh, and his head floats, and there's three faces.. judge jury and Dave Thomas from Wendy's. NONONONO! I'm a Quintesson, and damn if I'm gonna let you out without a fight with my li'l Sharkticons! WhooHaynee! Mike "BAAAATMAAAAAN TOOONITEE!" Leffel Batman Time: 40minutes, some seconds. (*)This I blatantly took from Sneepy. Give her some hugs. ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:44:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970620204434_422408557@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: penguish I listened very closely to "become a robot" and I can understand all the confusion.. he definitely says "deathwish", although the first time he says it it sounds more like "penguish".. the following times it becomes clearer. I listened to the song five times in a row.. with headphones, without, once on right and left channels only, and without again, and I'm absolutely sure of this. Nick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AB0795.1181@baka.com> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:43:33 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: so I rolled down the window and said "MERV GRIFFIN!!!" First off, I want to apologize for the subject line. There is nothing about Merv Griffin in this message. There, now that that's out of the way, on to the point. I heard this song on Dial A Song. "Tell me more!", you say, intrigued. Well, you see, this song I heard was about a car without a handle. I wish I could remember some exact lyrics, but, sadly, I cannot. The general tone seemed to be making fun of Urban Legends and such. And I think it was about someone's cousin or brother or something. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to waht it was? Thank you. -- "Snootchie bootchie nootchies!"-Jay Jonah "THIS SPACE FOR RENT TO MR. LEFFEL, WHO MUST BE REALLY ENJOYING GETTING MENTIONED IN EVERYONE AND THEIR SISTER'S POSTS" Gold ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:40:32 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and me. Message-ID: <19970620.224807.19046.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:47:54 -0400 (EDT) Sean Kinlin writes: > Well, when They appeared in Wherehouse records in Ann Arbor, >MI >(2/19/97), as They were leaving, I said "Bye John and John!" as the >Johns >went past. Then as Dan and Graham went by I said "Bye Dan, bye >Graham," >and Graham said, "See you later!" So did John and John pretend not to hear you and just scurry by with their heads facing the ground? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:43:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: I opened up the window and said "Idea Thief!" Message-ID: <19970620.224807.19046.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:34:22 -0400 "Erik J. Chuss" writes: >As for TMBG content.... I still don't think that the Internet concert >is a bad >idea. Restless or Elektra might sponsor it (hell if Cepacol did then >why not >Restless or Elektra). Maxwell House would be another good sponsor. Let >see who >else? Nyquil, Advil, Viper, etc. That's all I can think of but I'm >sure there's >something else...... Don't forget Miller High Life! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:26:57 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: smells like teen spirit Message-ID: <19970620.231311.3598.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I think that maybe in Stompbox, they were making fun of Nirvana. Josh Nielsen On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:01:26 -0400 (EDT) mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >why do I have this sinking feeling that TMBG had done a (parody) cover >of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana? Maybe a Stumpbox song? hmm, >maybe I am just going crazy. >/Matt >-- >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD >Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ From: MadeToFly@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 03:57:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621035732_-493726025@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Cool event at disneyland. My brother once told me that the guy ,in the don't lets start video, is named chesspieceface. Hell i have the T-shirt that has his pic and a huge t under it on the front side. On the back is his face and mbg under it. u know the shirt im talking bout? well anyways me and my friend were on SpaceMountain and Chesspieceface was the only thing visible. It kicked ass u had to be there. L8R ------------------------------ From: MegaMind0@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:02:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621040221_-1831391166@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: various OMLC ideas Who actually, honestly, thinks they would and could really truly come to an ML show? Just a question from a curious person. I live in Annapolis, MD... New York is a good four hours from here by car, which is how I'd most likely get there. It would take an awful lot for me to be able to undertake this... uh... undertaking. I most likely wouldn't do it unless it were a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing... something like the Smashing Pumpkins' secret 'Double Door' show (the band played a tiny club for about 500 people under a fake name -- tickets were an incredible $5 and only members of the fan club knew about it). Bands *do* do secret shows, but usually it's because they're REALLY nice bands and usually it's the band's choice to do it. Just my coupla cents. --Bernie ------------------------------ From: MegaMind0@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:03:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621040339_-428433167@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG and me. Today I decided I've been a lurker for too long. Okay, I posted once, but it was a bad story and no one mentioned it again. Today, I am a listie!! HUG ME!! So I'll fill out the survery now... >You guys all sound like you know everything and have everything TMBG. >I wanna see how I measure up here as a TMBG fan. Please take the time to >fill out the following survey: > >1) How were you introduced to TMBG? (How did you find out about them?) > >2) Name all the CD's, tapes, records, bootlegs you have. (It may take >awhile!) > >3) Name all the shirts, hats, items, etc. (Like mouse pads, bumper >stickers, concert posters.) (Even home-made stuff) > >4) Something cool that you know or that happened to you. (Related to >TMBG) 1) I hate to admit it, but the first time I heard Them was on the Tiny Toons videos. After that, I 'creatively acquired' my buddy's copy of Flood (yeah, I eventually gave it back :) ) and by then I was hooked. 2) My collection is pretty weak... all'z I have is Then (which I bought to sub for the three Restless albums I could never afford), Lincoln (an original tape - $4!), Apollo, John Henry, and FacShow. No bootlegs, though if anyone'll trade for blanks, lemme know. Oh, yeah -- and a hard drive full of sound bytes. 3) Once again, no articles of clothing, mouse pads, sex toys, etc. I'm sorry, I'm poor. I do have this 'thing' ... a friend gave it to me, it's, like, some kind of promo for FS -- about the size of an LP sleeve, made of cardstock, with the FS cover picture on the front, and it says "Factory Showroom : the new album from They Might Be Giants. Features SEXXY, Til My Head Falls Off, and New York City" on the back. What is this? 4) I guess my 'story' is the same one I told a few months ago -- I met my girlfriend thru the TMBG tapes she played (and still plays) in her car. I'm getting worried about her sanity, tho. She keeps comparing our 'relationship' to TMBG songs. I think she said we're "Unrelated Thing" now. --Bernie "Just glad it's not 'They'll Need A Crane'" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33ABB28E.68E9@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 03:53:12 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Used Bin Oddity Pt.2 Last month I told you all about an advanced promo copy of Factory Showroom (with a different cover design) that I found at a used CD store. Today I found some other interesting TMBG stuff. One is a 15 track sampler of T:TEY ("for instore play only - not for sale" ...yeah right.) The other is called "Miller's Outpost Fresh Cuts" (Miller's Outpost, by the way, is a clothing store. It might only be out here on the west coast. I guess they were giving it away free when you buy two pairs of jeans or something.) Anyway, its got my two favorite bands on it: TMBG and Geggy Tah. The TMBG song is "Till My Head Falls Off." (You'd think it would show up on a CD free when you buy Advil.) Its also got Squirrel NZ, The Refeshements and The Eels. Speaking of "free with purchase" samplers, does anyone have the one that came with specially marked boxes of Zima? I never saw it but it had "End of the Tour" on it. (Kind of ironic when you consider that the song, by some interpretations, deals with fatality by drunk driving.) -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:06:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621090603_-160048206@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) In a message dated 97-06-21 00:19:11 EDT, dsimpson@alpha.psd.k12.co.us (Dave Simpson) writes: << On an unrelated note, what if every TMBG fan in the world, at, say 7:18:38.76.96.2 GMT, were to point every speaker in their house west and play something with a lot of bass, like Whistling In The Dark? >> Sorry, that's my scheduled trip to the bathroom. We'd have to make it later. Joel "Spare my life too, Leffel" Gedaliu ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:48:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621094848_1958547657@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Okay: Questions. 1st of all: I'm STILL not on the list, so please, if you have responses send them to: ZSalwen@aol.com Okay: Questions: 1. what the heck does "IMHO" mean(Maybe: Is My Hotel Open?)? 2. What Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger movie were They in? 3. If Linell's immortal, and Flans is a vampire, then what does the thing about their parents liking their music(in the Q and A page on their site) show? Are their parents vampires/immortals, too? 4. It also said on their page that the first song that They did was a cover of Yoko Ono's "Don't worry Kyoko, Mommy's just looking for a hand in the snow." Or something like that. ANYWAY: It said that they were 15 when they did it. Maybe they were REALLY 315, and it was just a typo(anyone else agree?). 5. Linell and Flansburgh are both 38, right? I don't believe that. IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!! Anway, they're probably 338! MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Zach "Another rip off of Mike Leffel(I spelled his name right!)" Salwen "Say something sexual. Ok: SWEATY Snugglebunnies." - Berkely Breathed ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:02:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621100247_-1026261937@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG:NON TMBG: mp3 player? 1st of all: I'm still not on the list, so please send replies to ZSalwen@aol.com Anybody have a good .mp3 player? I downloaded one from the Factory Homepage, and it only lets you play 25 seconds of a song, then asks you to register. Anyone have one, or know where to get one that's good? Thanx. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:34:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621103420_-227143152@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: J&J's Musical Preferences I pulled this from the TMBG.COM Q&A section: What are some of your favorite music groups? Linnell: I like The Beatles, Ramones, Residents, The Comedian Harmonists (from Germany), The Smiths, Band of Weeds, The Pixies, The Kinks, Constance Towers (a Japanese band), The Beach Boys, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Prince and the Revolution, Chris Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, The Raspberries, The Harmonicats, Pere Ubu, Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra, other things I can't remember... Flansburgh: My personal musical obsessions are pretty relentless and dull. As a child I grew up with a transistor radio tuned to Top 40 waiting for Beatles and British Invasion songs, with my folks playing Joan Baez and Cambridge folkies on the hi-fi. Currently, I have an on-going obsession with Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra, along with R&B and soul songs from the '60s and '70s (exceptionally well compiled by Rhino). I enjoyed the Green Day album, and got our drummer Brian to pull out his Weezer tape a million times on this last tour to listen to that "Buddy Holly" song for its Brian Wilson-like vibe. Recently I've been listening to this great collection of songs by Allen Toussaint (a New Orleans R&B and pop record producer/pianist who made a few very cool records over the course of the Seventies.) I really dug the last Superchunk LP and recently got the new Guided by Voices album. In the past I have been into early Mills Bros. (their pre-band, 30's era stuff) and Tennessee Ernie Ford. Joel "My sister just purchased the Hanson single and I'm about to kill myself" Gedalius ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970621140757.007db600@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 14:07:57 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: 2/14 Irving Plaza I'm looking for the 2/14/97 Irving Plaza show. Please email me if you have a good copy and we can arrange something. Thanks. -ec ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:24:57 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Message-ID: On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 ZSalwen@aol.com wrote: > Okay: Questions: > > 1. what the heck does "IMHO" mean(Maybe: Is My Hotel Open?)? > "Interrogation Means Hot Omlette" > 2. What Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger movie were They in? > Power Rangers the Movie (hey, now that's a stretch!) Isn't there only one, anyway? > 3. If Linell's immortal, and Flans is a vampire, then what does the thing > about their parents liking their music(in the Q and A page on their site) > show? Are their parents vampires/immortals, too? > Well, jeez, they can't go telling everyone that they're immortals or vampires, can they? Besides, they had to come from somewhere. I'm sure they had parents, but it's just a matter of _when_ they had them. And "liking their music" can mean anything. > 4. It also said on their page that the first song that They did was a cover > of Yoko Ono's "Don't worry Kyoko, Mommy's just looking for a hand in the > snow." Or something like that. ANYWAY: It said that they were 15 when they > did it. Maybe they were REALLY 315, and it was just a typo(anyone else > agree?). OK, maybe. but considering the fact that they are trying to maintain an appearance as your average, mild-mannered, short-lived humans, they're going to put an accurate age for when they could have covered that song. And fifteen works! Once again, they do not want the world to know that they are immortal. > 5. Linell and Flansburgh are both 38, right? I don't believe that. IT'S > ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!! Anway, they're probably 338! MWA HA HA HA HA HA > HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! > Not a consipracy, just a front. We don't believe that they are 38 either- it's just a ruse so that their cover isn't blown. Stefanie "Oh yes, that's much better!" Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:31:04 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706212131.QAA16203@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Okay: Questions. >> 1. what the heck does "IMHO" mean(Maybe: Is My Hotel Open?)? >"Interrogation Means Hot Omlette" Actually, if anyone is really curious, it means: In My Humble/Honest Opinion >> 2. What Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger movie were They in? >Power Rangers the Movie (hey, now that's a stretch!) Isn't there only >one, anyway? No, there was a sequel. Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AC9D2F.E0E6B417@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 20:34:08 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. > >> 2. What Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger movie were They in? > >Power Rangers the Movie (hey, now that's a stretch!) Isn't there only > >one, anyway? > > No, there was a sequel. > Acually, it's more of a spin off. They made new crap, just so they could sell more action figures and gobble up parents hard earned money! Its the american dream! I LOOOOOVE capitalism! :) [fake smile] Well, anyway, I dont want you guys to think I know this cause I watch it or anything... this movie is worth no attention, cause it has no TMBG in it. And I dont watch power rangers... I swear. Okay, maybe Ive seen a couple of episodes on days I was sick and stayed home from school and was bored out of my mind... And maybe my freind who does watch it forced me to once.... But I dont ever watch it. Ionically- [as in covalent] Kevin McGuire ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 20:52:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706220052.UAA08745@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: OMLC, XTC, SLTS... I see Ruprecht posting. Um, I feel the need to state for the record that in my previous incarnation on this list I was much more of an asshole than Ruprecht has ever been, and, um, I hope I am not an asshole any longer. So. Catching up on some missed digests here... >Because yultide is pure HE-double L for me. Remember, everyone, WJGNAC is *not* a funny song! I mean, jeez, it's about how holidays are ruined for some guy because he went through a messy divorce. XTC: They're still together, they've just put out another greatest hits album called "Upsy Daisy Assortment" (look for the sickeningly pastoral wussy cover), they're going over their contract offers at the moment and should be signed sometime this summer, they have over 40 songs written, they hope to record three discs, an orchestral/acoustic one, an "electric" one, and one with low-budget remakes of unreleased demos from years past, and they're hoping to do a tour (their first in 15 years) where they just play their shows from the back of a big truck, suitably wired. >(JHB, I halfway expected you to do this. You're letting me >down, buddy. :) ) Sorry 'bout that. Haven't gotten to read my the last four digests until today. Hopefully the above will make up for that. :) "OMLC": Ain't gonna happen. (Besides, what's the point? Just to feel special that we're getting a concert just for us?) >1) The video shows Linnell playing bass. (Or, at least, another guitar.) >Did he also play bass on the album? Or was it Flans on another track? All the bass on A18 is synth bass, but it *was* played by JL. :) >"It's a long long rope they use to hang YOU soon I hope," but the Then >booklet reads "yadda yadda ME yadda yadda." What do you ppl think? That, as should be obvious by now, the Then booklet is completely untrustworthy regarding lyrics questions? >My Theory: I think it's just some rumor started Superfueled Freaksickle has been repeatedly confirmed by TMBG's producer and TMBG themselves as a name and a project that they intended to do at some point. Whether it ever actually arrives is up in the air, but it was definitely the plan at some point. >Also, would anyone be interested in buying John L. and John F. dolls? Do they come in different flavors? Malibu Flansburgh? Mermaid Flansburgh? Hair Fun Flansburgh? Or, for any readers who *do* want to see JL naked, are they anatomically correct? >why do I have this sinking feeling that TMBG had done a (parody) cover >of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana? Maybe a Stumpbox song? hmm, They do, albeit on accordion and with the lyrics (in their best "I just got out of the dentist's" voice) as "Ah ah ah ah, ah ah ah ah." /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:20:47 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Don't Let's Start - comparison Message-ID: Well, after reading Ruprecht's post on this subject, I pulled out THEN, the Pink album, Misc. T and the DLS EP and proceeded to give each respective CD pressing of the song a good hard listen. It was Ruprecht's assertion that the THEN version of the song is not, as I suggested, the single version from the EP and Misc. T, but in fact a newly remixed version. I think he is correct in saying that all the songs on THEN have been altered somewhat from their original versions, but aside from a few possible exceptions, the songs have in fact been _remastered_ and not actually _remixed_. This is to say that in most cases, the master tapes of the songs have been run through expensive and complicated digital equipment and as a result they sound more full and rich and less of the crispy trebly thinner high end remains. This is true. What has not been done is a full _remix_. (Aside from a couple of songs that sound to me as if something is missing - in these cases, the original separate elements may have been remixed). In the case of DLS, I fully maintain that the version on THEN is a remastered, not remixed, version of the single mix. If in fact the song was fully remixed track by track for THEN, it was done entirely in the philosophy of the single mix and aside from the fuller dynamic range of the digital tinkering, it sounds IDENTICAL. On the other hand, the original album version of the song is drastically different. A significant amount of percussive elements have been removed from the song for the single and THEN versions. These elements have not just been remixed, they have been removed, and many of the remaining percussive elements have been placed elsewhere in the soundfield from where they existed originally. As well, the synth-bass rhythm section on the THEN and single versions has been pushed significantly further back in the mix to the point where it becomes only a tonal element, with no texture or character, whereas this same element in the original version has a real texture and presence. To make up for this, the single and THEN versions push the guitar further outward. My take on this after my comparisons lead me to conclude that the THEN version of DLS is nothing more than a remastered, louder and cleaner version of the single mix, and the original version of the song is significantly different enough to be considered not only representative of a different philosophy, but also infinitely superior to any other version. The reason I am making such a big deal out of this is because THEN was meant to be a remastered version of a very important musical document, and instead it immortalises the first album in a way which is not consistent with its original intent, by including a totally different and markedly inferior version of one of TMBG's signature songs. It makes little sense to me, and my apparent obsessive interest in this subject is no less obsessive than the band's own efforts to reconstruct this history of their earlier years with an inappropriately revisionist eye. Let us not also forget that this apparent definitive collection includes the truncated "I'm Def", does not include the actual album version of Don't Let's Start, and omits many important songs from their earlier years in favour of skits and Children Singing Particle Man. All I am saying is, it's confusing. And by the way, for those of you who may be too new to remember me from the earlier days of this list, I am not a troublemaker trying to badmouth TMBG - but my long time enjoyment of their music has led me to want to uncover these unusual inconsistencies. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Sugar is granulated happiness. It's a friend." --David Lynch ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 22:33:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970621223329_845724494@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Aaaaaaaaarghhh... Who the hell decided that the post office should close at two p.m. on Saturday?!?! You may have noticed that this message does not contain OMLT prices. Well, sorry folks, but due to poor planning (to assume is to make an ass of u and me), the OMLT goddess arrived ten minutes too late to find out about shipping prices at the post office. I tried valiently to weigh the package myself and look up the pricing on the charts strewn around the lobby, but none were appropriate for what I was looking for. So I guess that's it until Monday. Would it really kill those lazy-ass postal employees to stay open another three hours until five, like on a weekday? I guess that would be too convenient. Cursing loudly, --Christy P.S. Many people have written wondering why I don't just consolidate all the checks into one lump and then split it up myself between Eastman and the post office charges. The answer is: shut up. No, sorry! What I meant was, it's a little complicated to explain why, but it will really be much easier if I don't have to touch the Eastman money. Hint hint, don't ask, because you really don't want to hear the long drawn-out explanation. ------------------------------ From: COMET757@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 00:19:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970622001923_1721820795@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Silence of the Hams? Maybe I'm just hallucinating (even more than usually) but I could've sworn that a long, long time ago I saw the last half of the movie The Silence of the Hams (Hams, not Lambs) and there was a TMBG song in the movie. Has anyone else seen TSotH? and, if so, is there a They song in there? Thanx! -Vortex, Drayex, Cybrex... and all of the other voices in my head "Watch out for those inanimate objects... they're sneaky." - My cousin ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 01:24:30 -0400 Subject: Non-TMBG:E-mail Message-ID: <19970622.012432.3814.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> INeedHelp. IWantANewE-mailService. JunoDoesSuck. IWantABetterE-mailThatLetsYouGetBigMessages. AnyGoodFreeOnes? OrAnyGoodNon-freeOnes? WhatInternetServiceWouldAnyoneRecommend? Also,MySpaceBarShutsDownMyComputer,SoICan'tUseIt! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG? HELLLLLLLLP!!!!!! --D.Hutch ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-172 ******************************