Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-173 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 173 Monday, 23 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-172 TMBG:Tryptophane Re: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: TMBG: TMBG Screen Savers Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 TMBG: criticisms of T:TEY Re: TMBG: I opened up the window and said "Idea Thief!" Re: TMBG: Used Bin Oddity Pt.2 Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: TMBG: TMBG Party TMBG: Zima Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Re: TMBG: so I rolled down the window and said "MERV GRIFFIN!!!" Re: TMBG:Tryptophane TMBG: So I rolled up the window 'cause the a/c was on TMBG: OMLC Transportation TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-172 Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Re: TMBG: Ruler Re: TMBG: so I rolled down the window and said "MERV GRIFFIN!!!" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 23:12:08 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970621220644.26678f26@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-172 >I listened very closely to "become a robot" and I can understand all the >confusion.. he definitely says "deathwish", although the first time he says >it it sounds more like "penguish".. the following times it becomes clearer. > I listened to the song five times in a row.. with headphones, without, once >on right and left channels only, and without again, and I'm absolutely sure >of this. Please Kill Me. Bridget "I just killed the spice girls with a lumpy club" Guildner >Nick > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 00:53:05 -0700 Subject: TMBG:Tryptophane Message-ID: <19970622.005308.4366.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you to whoever is resposible for putting the Tryptophane midi on their web page. I love it so much. Josh Nielsen P.S. Juno doesn't suck!!!! ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Re: TMBG: DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. Date: 21 Jun 1997 16:17:55 GMT Message-ID: <5ogurj$th$1@aquawolf.xs4all.nl> In article <199706181951.PAA01896@ussodyssey.ufp.org>, "Brett Ballantini" writes: > Daniel asked: >>>Anyone remember the Kate and Kari show from waaaay back? > Indeed I do. Nothing against Mike "collect and trade the entertaining > quotations inserted between his name" Leffel, but the Kate and Kari show > produced some of the most entertaining posts seen on this list. Then again, > perhaps time and distance has clouded my vision. Probably it does. :) And let me thank Kate (of the Kate and Kari show) again for helping me start my tmbg bootleg collection... Daniel ------------------------------ From: ZSalwen@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:47:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970622094706_1209391367@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: Title says most: I'm still not on the list, because when I was on it, I got sooooo much email; so email me with replies, comments, questions, etc. at: ZSalwen@aol.com In the FAQ page of the Unofficial TMBG Home Page, there is something about "The End Of The Tour", and it says how it's about a car crash. I agree. But... that's not all! I have a theory on WLSD. Maybe it's a radio station! you know, like WABC(not JUST a television network!), etc. Also, to resolve an old issue: Become A Robot lyrics. In MY Then: booklet, it says that the lyrics are: Here's hoping you don't harbor a dingwish. THERE! I said it, and I have proof. Zach Salwen "T'ain't corn, 's dope!" - Berkeley Breathed ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:21:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Jun-97 TMBG: Still Not on the list.. by ZSalwen@aol.com > In the FAQ page of the Unofficial TMBG Home Page, there is something about > "The End Of The Tour", and it says how it's about a car crash. I agree. I'm not sure... I thin the car crash idea is too... what's the word for it? Too literal. my interpretation comes from a situation I saw between two people earlier this year... here's the way I see it... it's about two people, the singer (possibly), and the girl, who were... shall we say, romantically involved. But she decides that it's more than she can take - it's not the way it was when it first started, and she wants to end it. But she doesn't want to completely tell him off - she makes it clear that while they may part ways now, they'll be together again, some day - at the end of the tour. the second verse ("Never to part...") implies that these people met when both of them were going through transitions in their life - the "bent metal/flaming wreck" idea is more of an emotional metaphor. They were both feeling terrible, but when they met, their respective presence lifted each other, and they knew, then, that it was "Meant to Be." The "knock on the door" verse may actually be told from her point of view - someone new came along. She thought she would never meet anyone else, or anyone "better," and suddenly someone else came along, which is why she's going through such difficulty with her decision (first verse) the "this was the vehicle..." verse I don't really understand, though. I think the "people" was actually one person - the guy - but "This was the vehicle, this was the person..." sounds stupid. :) and the ending "we're never gonna tour again" is their promise to each other that even though they can't be together, they didn't really want to be with anyone else, either - I think when relationships do end, a lot of people go through that - they think they'll never find anyone else, and give up, or they promise themselves that it won't get any better... something like that. either way, it's a really sad song... ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:41:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970622134148_1209395161@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Screen Savers Does anyone know if any TMBG screen savers exist? Would anyone be able to make one? That would be cool. Okay, I'll leave you now, to go about your business. Adios los afficionados del Groupo de Rock 'n' Roll. Joel "Yo soy Chichi, el maestro de Mike Leffel" Gedalius ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:43:16 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: >In the FAQ page of the Unofficial TMBG Home Page, there is something about >"The End Of The Tour", and it says how it's about a car crash. I agree. > >But... that's not all! I have a theory on WLSD. > >Maybe it's a radio station! you know, like WABC(not JUST a television >network!), etc. I think it's also a dual pun. There was (is?) a NYC station with the call letters WPLJ. It's the title of a Frank Zappa song, but it's also an acronym for White Port and Lemon Juice, a different kind of, umm, intoxicant. Bob Gonsalves, Research Director Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/ work: http:/www.aphasia.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AD79B5.186B@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:15:01 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 > It is perhaps not the fantastic on-the-floor-laughing comedy or > gigantic action flick that we as foolish humans have come to expect, but > it is far from lousy. The plot is rather well established and > What's-his-name Scott plays a very nice crazy man. It's a good movie, > not quite worth sixty bucks, but well worth a rental. No way! It's an awesome movie! The best scene is probably the prime rib scene... -- Vladimir "Prime Rib... ten cents a pound..." Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970622131257.006da75c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:13:07 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: criticisms of T:TEY >Perhaps I'm missing out on the point here, but shouldn't the big listie >tmbg concert be in Oklahoma (insert slogan about flesh and wheat here)? >Or am I now the only one who recalls such ideas? Ruprecht! Been wondering what happened to ya, big guy. :) Yes, I certainly remember Flesh Fest, as well as the Kate and Kari Show, Utopia Parkway, the Artificial TMBG Digest, the "name the John Henry girl" thread (note to impressionable newbies: I will personally rip your head off if you attempt to resurrect this thread. Thank you.) and the List Weddings (though I was a newbie then, and didn't marry anyone). >Let us >not also forget that this apparent definitive collection includes the >truncated "I'm Def", does not include the actual album version of Don't >Let's Start, and omits many important songs from their earlier years in >favour of skits and Children Singing Particle Man. Yes, I wondered about that. Honestly, I have a hard time hearing the difference between the single and album versions of DLS, but I do agree that T:TEY would have benefited greatly from fewer novelty tracks and more actual songs. They could have put on *all* of Doris Cunningham, for example, and I will forever wonder why Hell Hotel was left off. --nicole the wonder nerd going to HORDE in three weeks! Whee-hoo! *** "The words I'm saying now mean nothing more than 'meow' to an animal."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:16:20 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706222016.OAA15786@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: I opened up the window and said "Idea Thief!" At 10:43 PM 6/20/97 -0400, you wrote: >>Restless or Elektra). Maxwell House would be another good sponsor. Let >>see who >>else? Nyquil, Advil, Viper, etc. That's all I can think of but I'm >>sure there's >>something else...... >Don't forget Miller High Life! You can't forget Powerbar! Or Ben and Jerry's, or that Mentadent toothpaste company, or those scrubbing bubbles! People could buy "Scrubbing Bubbles" hats or dance around in big foam "scrubbing bubbles" outfits like in those early TV commercials with the dancing Shaving Cream bottle with the woman's legs! This could be the embarassment of the century for any company involved! Get Time/Warner on the phone, I'm sure they'll want a part of it too! Dave Simpson LotharCo but in a way, aren't we *ALL* LotharCo? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:25:24 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706222025.OAA15997@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Used Bin Oddity Pt.2 At 03:53 AM 6/21/97 -0700, you wrote: >Advil.) Its also got Squirrel NZ, The Refeshements and The Eels. Hey, are The Refreshments any good? I'm just wondering because I read in my Columbia House CD list catalog thingy that they had "They Might Be Giant-like lyrics" or something similar to that. Do they? I listened to the CD "Fizzy Fuzzy Big 'n' Buzzy" a while ago, and frankly, I couldn't hear many of the lyrics. Are they worth getting or no? Dave Simpson LotharCo despite the fire hazard.. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:28:55 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706222028.OAA16095@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: re: grinning scarecrows (online concert) At 09:06 AM 6/21/97 -0400, you wrote: ><< On an unrelated note, what if every TMBG fan in the world, at, say > 7:18:38.76.96.2 GMT, were to point > every speaker in their house west and play something with a lot of bass, > like Whistling In The Dark? >> > >Sorry, that's my scheduled trip to the bathroom. We'd have to make it later. Are you sure you can't reschedule? It's for a good cause, and you can't beat the time! Dave Simpson LotharCo or are we? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:37:30 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706222037.OAA16229@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. At 09:48 AM 6/21/97 -0400, you wrote: >Okay: Questions: > >1. what the heck does "IMHO" mean(Maybe: Is My Hotel Open?)? You got it. It's another example of a bad inside joke going waaay to far. >3. If Linell's immortal, and Flans is a vampire, then what does the thing >about their parents liking their music(in the Q and A page on their site) >show? Are their parents vampires/immortals, too? They're not their real parents. To keep up a normal appearance, they had to recruit a "family". Every 45-50 years the Johns have to find two new replacement "parents". To do this they hold contests of all kinds imagineable. I mean, who do you think runs those "X-treme Sports" shows on ESPN2? Quick question: do either Johns have any "siblings"? >4. It also said on their page that the first song that They did was a cover >of Yoko Ono's "Don't worry Kyoko, Mommy's just looking for a hand in the >snow." Or something like that. ANYWAY: It said that they were 15 when they >did it. Maybe they were REALLY 315, and it was just a typo(anyone else >agree?). How do we know Yoko Ono's not really an immortal demon? I mean, she DID break up the Beatles after all.. >5. Linell and Flansburgh are both 38, right? I don't believe that. IT'S >ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!! Anway, they're probably 338! MWA HA HA HA HA HA >HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Actually, immortals age at a logarithmic rate, similar to the decibal system. I don't know what the base is, but I'm sure they're at LEAST 338! Dave Simpson LotharCo owner of the only .sig NEVER to have gotten ripped off yet ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:56:21 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706222056.OAA13699@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: At 10:21 AM 6/22/97 -0400, you wrote: >either way, it's a really sad song... Which is so odd, when you think about it. I mean, sure it's sad, but every time I listen to it, it has this soothing effect, leaving the reader refreshed and rejuvinated and ready to take on the world. My opinion on all the song interpretations: Sure it's fun to pull a song apart -- I do it as much as the next guy (2) -- but when it comes to Them, I think you can prod and dissect as much as you want, and still not get any closer to the answer (3). You just have to feel what They're trying to say. You know what they mean and you get what They're talking about, but when you put it in words, the image doesn't come accross as effectively or as powerfully. If you feel what a song is saying, then you've interpreted it, but everyone has to interpret the song for themself. (1) It wasn't giving me any (2) Depends on who the next guy is, I doubt Ah-nuld has much time to listen to songs, let alone try and understand them. (3) This doesn't hold true for every song, of course. Dave Simpson LotharCo "It's so hypnotic in its pointlessness" ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 17:05:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970622170500_1891940419@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Still Not on the list, but listen to this: In a message dated 97-06-22 14:48:32 EDT, pinknoiz@ccnet.com (Bob Gonsalves) writes: << I think it's also a dual pun. There was (is?) a NYC station with the call letters WPLJ. It's the title of a Frank Zappa song, but it's also an acronym for White Port and Lemon Juice, a different kind of, umm, intoxicant. >> Yes, there still is a NYC station WPLJ (95.5 FM) Joel "Mr. Watson, Come Here, I Need You [1]" Gedalius [1] The first words spoken on the telephone by Alexander Bell (has a nice ring to it, huh?) <~~Sad pun that reflects a sadder mess ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:01:22 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706222101.PAA17195@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: TMBG: TMBG Party I'm trying to plan a TMBG party in my town, you know: invite all the TMBG lovers as well as a bunch of Floodies to try and get them to expand their horisons, and I have some questions about what I could do besides have Them-centered foods (suggestions?) or music and possible dancing or what-not. Should I go for more crazed fans (ie costume/lookalike contest) or should I cater to the newbies and casual listeners more? Any and all ideas are welcome. Dave Simpson LotharCo $10 to ANYONE who knows what we do.. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 18:32:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199706222232.SAA25924@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Zima >car without a handle >Anyone want to hazard a guess as to waht it was? It seems to be called, logically enough, "Car Without A Handle." It's available on the LoFi Experience tape as "Summer Breeze," and should be available on the soon-to-be-released PoDaS II. >I do have this 'thing' ... a friend gave it to me, it's, >like, some kind of promo for FS -- about the size of an LP sleeve, made of >cardstock, with the FS cover picture on the front, and it says "Factory >Showroom : the new album from They Might Be Giants. Features SEXXY, Til My >Head Falls Off, and New York City" on the back. What is this? It's called a "flat," for fairly obvious reasons. They're sort of little mini-posters that the record companies give out to record stores in promotion of their releases. I haven't seen the FS one, but I do have a John Henry flat, which is notable for having the JH cover picture only in the middle 3" square portion, and having eight of the pictures from the liner (seven of the kids shots and then the skull shot from the CD itself) around it. > Speaking of "free with purchase" samplers, does anyone have the >one that came with specially marked boxes of Zima? I never saw it but it >had "End of the Tour" on it. (Kind of ironic when you consider that the >song, by some interpretations, deals with fatality by drunk driving.) Since somewhere around '94, many of the TMBG compilation appearances have been rather ironic. "Spiralling Shape," seemingly about drug use, appears in the KitH movie _Brain Candy._ "SenSurround," a movie about the, um, effects of big dumb movies, appears in _Mighty Morphin Power Rangers._ Josh /-------------Joshua Hall-Bachner-------------Chaos Harlequin-------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 19:41:48 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Message-ID: On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Dave Simpson wrote: > >3. If Linell's immortal, and Flans is a vampire, then what does the thing > >about their parents liking their music(in the Q and A page on their site) > >show? Are their parents vampires/immortals, too? > > They're not their real parents. To keep up a normal appearance, they had to > recruit a "family". Every 45-50 years the Johns have to find two new > replacement "parents". To do this they hold contests of all kinds > imagineable. I mean, who do you think runs those "X-treme Sports" > shows on ESPN2? > Quick question: do either Johns have any "siblings"? > Mike and Lawrence? Maybe they're immortal trainees, but if that is so, then I fear for the future of the immortals. I still maintain that the Johns had paretns, and any allusion to them is to the past as well- I mean, sure, at one time they had parents, it's just the time that is the factor! I doubt anyone could look in the phone book in the place that the Johns say they "grew up" and find a Flansburgh or a Linnell. Or! Oh! In an allusion to something the inimitable Mr. Leffel once said, maybe they are from Gallefrey (I know that's not spelled right. My Doctor memory is a bit hazy.) and they regenerate, but instead of regenerating into adults, they regenerate into children, and must be adopted by some family! And they really _did_ meet in highschool, whilst playing the role of children! Yes, that sounds plausible. > How do we know Yoko Ono's not really an immortal demon? I mean, she DID break > up the Beatles after all.. > This is a good point... Stefanie "They're day to day, but then, we're all day to day" Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706230009.TAA07401@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: so I rolled down the window and said "MERV GRIFFIN!!!" Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 19:58:42 -0500 > > First off, I want to apologize for the subject line. There is nothing > about Merv Griffin in this message. What a cruel and inhumane thing to do. I hope you go to a taping of Wheel Of Fortune and get flatly refused an aisle seating. > > Jonah "THIS SPACE FOR RENT TO MR. LEFFEL, WHO MUST BE REALLY ENJOYING > GETTING MENTIONED IN EVERYONE AND THEIR SISTER'S POSTS" Gold Everyone who mentions my name in their posting gets a sweet deal on a new DVD system from Bill's House Of Electronics and Funnel Cakes! (at participating locations nationwide!) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:46:11 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG:Tryptophane Message-ID: <19970622.180402.6422.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I don't remember, I just cut and paste. It was something about Wombat. Anyone know for sure?? Josh Nielsen On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:45:14 -0600 (MDT) Dave Simpson >Tryptophane online? Where? > >Dave Simpson ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:56:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970622215644_-2065319230@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: So I rolled up the window 'cause the a/c was on >>why do I have this sinking feeling that TMBG >had done a (parody) cover >of Smells Like Teen >Spirit by Nirvana? Maybe a Stumpbox song? hmm, > >maybe I am just going crazy. >/Matt >-- Yeah, it's on _Stumpbox_ (Not to be confused with _Stompbox_ ). From the uh, Idiot's Delight interview in.... '92 I think. > My >brother once told me that the guy ,in the don't >lets start video, is named chesspieceface. Hell >i have the T-shirt that has his pic and a huge t >under it on the front side. On the back is his >face and mbg under it. u know the shirt im >talking bout? well anyways me and my friend were >on SpaceMountain and Chesspieceface was the >only thing visible. It kicked ass u had to be > there. L8R Okaaayy.. >1. what the heck does "IMHO" mean(Maybe: Is My >Hotel Open?)? In My Humble Opinion. :) >Linnell: I like The Beatles, Ramones, >Residents, The Comedian Harmonists (from > Germany), The Smiths, Band of Weeds, The >Pixies, The Kinks, Constance Towers (a Japanese >band), The Beach Boys, Elvis Costello and the >Attractions, Prince and the Revolution, Chris >Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, The > Raspberries, The Harmonicats, Pere Ubu, >Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra, other >things I can't remember... Prince! Why do I have such a difficult time believing that. I just cannot see it . Oh I remembered that cd he talked about: "Adventures in Hi Fi". from the SpinOnline chat with Linnell (11/7/96): SPINmc : ]Mr Avocad: Question : Are there any current musicians whose music you enjoy? Do you listen to much music? SPINmc : One more question...... TMBGlive : I just heard an album from a band called "Adventures in Stereo" that I liked a lot Neumo81 : (13)what the heck sort of name is "Adventures in Stereo"? SPINmc : The last question go to Junglelad: Question : what do you do in your spare time? MuseSlaveX : (13)a creative one Neumo81 : (13)Then again, what the heck sort of name is "They Might Be Giants"? SPINmc : Oops! Goes to Junglelad MRBened : (13)the kind of name that attracts john linnel >I could've sworn that a long, long time ago I >saw the last half of the movie The Silence of > the Hams (Hams, not Lambs) Does this have anything to do with Shane Ham? ;) By the _way_... where did Boba and Kirsten go? :( sarah:) TMBGer #45127, MSTie# 77216, Leffel groupie #3, Moose Humping Club Card Carrier #4 linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 22:23:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970622222305_-461849266@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLC Transportation Doesn't Grey Hound Busing have a $64 rate for the first 500 miles? or has that deal expired? TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 Its like what my dad told me when I was a little kid "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and I'll give you something to cry about you little bastard!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706230258.WAA20169@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 22:52:04 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-170 > I beg your pardon, but does FZ sound like Weird Al? Perchance > you're thinking of one of the many other vocalists who have > appeared on one of his albums in the past? Terry Bozzio, to be > precise? Um, maybe. Thinking back on it, FZ doesn't sound like Weird Al. Maybe I thought that once. Now I feel dumb. See what you've done? -Ben > > Daisuke Nakai > > > >Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:10:21 +0000 > >From: "Ben Greenberg" > >Reply-To: "Ben Greenberg" > >Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > > >Surpisingly, I noticed after all this favorite other band > >stuff, no one mentioned (or I didn't see) Frank Zappa. I find > >this odd because FZ is an obvious influence to John & John (I > >think this has been confirmed somewhere) and his voice sounds a > >lot like Weird Al's. Am I the only Zappa fan on the list? > > > >-Ben Greenberg > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:27:21 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706230327.VAA29330@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. At 07:41 PM 6/22/97 -0500, you wrote: >Mike and Lawrence? Maybe they're immortal trainees, but if that is so, >then I fear for the future of the immortals. I still maintain that the >Johns had paretns, and any allusion to them is to the past as well- I >mean, sure, at one time they had parents, it's just the time that is the >factor! I doubt anyone could look in the phone book in the place that >the Johns say they "grew up" and find a Flansburgh or a Linnell. Or! Actually I did just this. I went to that yp.uswest.com page (I think that's the address -- check your phone books kiddies!), went to NY and typed in "Flansburgh". I got about 8 or 9 Flansburghs, and 3 Linnells that way! However, I'm probably wrong, as we don't know where their "parents" really live! Oh, and who are Mike and Lawrence? They don't run the X-treme games, do they? >Oh! In an allusion to something the inimitable Mr. Leffel once said, >maybe they are from Gallefrey (I know that's not spelled right. My >Doctor memory is a bit hazy.) and they regenerate, but instead of >regenerating into adults, they regenerate into children, and must be >adopted by some family! And they really _did_ meet in highschool, whilst >playing the role of children! Yes, that sounds plausible. But they would keep their consiosness the entire time, right? That could be a good explanation, but I think the Immortal/Vampire one sounds much cooler. Hey, I just thought of something: What if they do regenerate into children again? That way they could A: get their songs produced that don't quite fit into the current album molds, B: sing about things from this century as if "they were there," and C: Perform for a whole new generation! Dave Simpson LotharCo The twisted logic people ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706230338.XAA29964@mail3.voicenet.com> From: "Ben Greenberg" Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:32:52 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-172 > First off, I want to apologize for the subject line. There is > nothing about Merv Griffin in this message. There, now that > that's out of the way, on to the point. I heard this song on > Dial A Song. "Tell me more!", you say, intrigued. Well, you see, > this song I heard was about a car without a handle. I wish I > could remember some exact lyrics, but, sadly, I cannot. The > general tone seemed to be making fun of Urban Legends and such. > And I think it was about someone's cousin or brother or > something. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to waht it was? > Thank you. -- "Snootchie bootchie nootchies!"-Jay This is called "Summer Breeze." There is a wav (or MP3, i dont remember) of it on The Factory Homepage at http://blamo.simplenet.com/tmbg/main.html. -Ben ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:01:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Jun-97 Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. by Dave Simpson@alpha.psd.k > However, I'm probably wrong, as we don't know where their "parents" > really live! Oh, and who are Mike and Lawrence? They don't run the Well, there's an Earl R. Flansburgh in Lincoln, MA, who I'm pretty sure is John's father. There are far too many Linnell's around to find John's family. (go to http://www.switchboard.com and search) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:10:38 -0500 From: Allen Muggli Message-ID: <33ADF73E.DD49093F@mail.btigate.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Ruler CyburDog@aol.com wrote: > << Intially I thought Linnell(with two lls you tard) would be I guess > because he's the John I perfer. Then I thought about it and realized > > that Flans can deal with people more. I came up with the perfect > solution. Flans is ruler but Linnell is actually in control. Flans > is > the puppet head as it were. >> > > OK... what would the Universe's economy be like if Flans was the > Supreme > Ruler? > (i.e. Hello) > Think! > > LINNELL IN '97!!! > payed for by Tim OK since it seems a lot of people think Linnell would rule I say Flansburg would just because I bet he feels rejected if he's reading this ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:05:53 PST Subject: Re: TMBG: so I rolled down the window and said "MERV GRIFFIN!!!" Message-ID: <19970623.010554.4598.2.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) >> First off, I want to apologize for the subject line. There is nothing >> about Merv Griffin in this message. Are we prehaps a fan of "Milk & Cheese: Dairy products gone bad"? hmmm???? Peter ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-173 ******************************