Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-174 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 174 Tuesday, 24 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences TMBG: Often mentioned bands. TMBG: Re: TMBG Party TMBG: Local station that play TMBG TMBG:Bootlegs Re: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences Re: TMBG: TMBG and me. TMBG: Re: Summer Breeze Re: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. NON TMBG:DELETE Re: TMBG: Often mentioned bands. Re: TMBG: Nickelodeon audio-spotting of fun! TMBG: Misc Replies Re: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Party Re: NON-TMBG: card-carrying moose humpers, eh? Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner TMBG: non tmbg: Ignore if you're not Heather Tinkler or Russ Josephson Non-TMBG: You're all invited to a list wedding! TMBG: other bands similar to tmbg Re: TMBG: smells like teen spirit Re: TMBG: other bands similar to tmbg Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <33AE259E.1CBE@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:28:37 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences Thanks Joel for the info on the John and John's favorite bands. I saw it on the net somewhere before (is it on the official site?) Anyway, everytime I read it I'm amazed at how many faves I have in common with Linnell. I seem to remember one of them recomending a band with the words "stereo" or "hi-fi" in their name (and it wasn't Stereolab). Does anyone know who it was? Oh yeah, Linnell said he likes The Smiths. Has anyone out there noticed any seemingly Smiths/Morissey influence in any TMBG songs? Before I even knew Linnell liked them, I always suspected the "darkened corridors" piece from Fingertips was a Morissey spoof. Not just the lyrics but voice...it even sounds like Morissey! Also "O, Do Not Forsake Me" is somewhat Smiths-like lyrically. Does anyone out there agree or is it all just my imagination? -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AE4BF2.56DE@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:12:27 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Often mentioned bands. Dave Simpson wrote: >Hey, are The Refreshments any good? I'm just wondering because I read >in >my Columbia House CD list catalog thingy that they had "They Might Be >Giant-like lyrics" or something similar to that. Do they? I listened to the CD >"Fizzy Fuzzy Big 'n' Buzzy" a while ago, and frankly, I couldn't hear many of >the lyrics. Are they worth getting or no? There's a few bands that often come up on this list and the newsgroup. For that reason, I've tried to check them all out. Here are my thoughts: THE REFRESHMENTS ... I've only heard one song of theirs, "Mekong" (the one from the Miller's Outpost sampler). From that one song, I'd have to say they are not similar lyrically (or in any other way to TMBG). The lyrics were clever and the song was respectable but it's much more straightforward than TMBG. The lyrics were sort of like a whimsical country song. By the way, the song that followed that was a lot more TMBG-like to me. It really impressed me. It's called "Surface Tension" by Yazbek. I've never heard of them. Have any of you? MOXY FRUVOUS ... One day I was looking through a used bin and found one of their CDs for only 99 cents! I said to myself, "Bargainsville!" (which was by coincidence, the title of the CD.) Its not bad. A couple of tunes are catchy and entertaining but the second half takes on an a cappella - barber shop quartet sound full of "do-wah"'s which didn't agree with me. Unlike TMBG they often make deliberate attempts to be humorous (which only make them seem goofy.) BARE NAKED LADIES ... I never heard them but I often see them praised here and on the newsgroup. By their name, I would have assumed that they were some sort of hill-billy jug band but if you guys say they're good I'll give them a try. THE BOBS ... I've had the misfortune to hear one of their songs on a sampler CD. Dorky "do-wah-wah" a cappella garbage. They try very to be funny and they are not. Some guy posted once to the TMBG newsgroup saying how he couldn't understand why they don't get more attention from TMBG fans. Hmmm... let's see could it be... because ...THEY SUCK!? YOUNG FRESH FELLOWS ... Famous (to us) for being mentioned in Twisting, I think one of the Johns endorsed these guys at one point. I have two of their CDs. (Both used bin finds.) The first one, "It's Low Beat Time" (aka "Doc Sharpie is a Bad Man") definitely has its moments. The last song, "Green Green" is a great. The other CD ("This One's for the Ladies") was a little bit of a letdown . I only listened to it once. At least they don't try to be wacky or funny like many of these other supposedly TMBGesque bands. SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS and BEN FOLDS FIVE ... Neither of them are similar to TMBG as we probably all know but they get mentioned an awful lot around here. I have Ben's debut album and SNZ's "Hot" CDs. I've listen to both several times so I feel I gave them a chance. For awhile I was undecided. Each had some appeal to me at first but I hoped they would grow on me more. They never did. Instead I grew annoyed with shrill voice of that chick from SNZ. And as for Ben, I got disgusted with his whining about what a nerd he used to be and his bragging about how cool he thinks he is now. In fact if anyone out there would like to trade me something (TMBG bootlegs, whatever) for one or both of those CDs, please make me an offer. WEIRD AL ... I respect Weird Al for what he is. He tries to be funny and he is. The only thing that bothers me a little is how a few people here and on the newsgroup seem to suggest he belong to a similar category as TMBG. Weird Al intends to be a wacky idiot. TMBG do not. TMBG is not a comedy band. They don't do "novelty songs" I hate when I hear someone say, "Oh that Triangle Man (sic) is sooooo hilarious!" Some people aren't able to make a distinction between humour and the unusual. Well, that's all I can think of now. There's actually no band similar to TMBG. (Except maybe Mono Puff.) I have a lot of favorite bands but they are all different from each other. Personally, my favorite band after TMBG is Geggy Tah. What does everyone else listen to? -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AE4F36.51E7@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:26:24 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Party > I'm trying to plan a TMBG party in my town, you know: invite all the TMBG > lovers as well > as a bunch of Floodies to try and get them to expand their horisons, and I > have some questions > about what I could do besides have Them-centered foods (suggestions?) or > music and possible > dancing or what-not.... > Dave Simpson "Them-centered foods"? Tell me more. I gotta hear this. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706231140.HAA24201@thor.infi-pos.com> From: "Carrie Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Local station that play TMBG Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 07:36:45 -0400 Hi All! I keep reading these posts about radio stations that do not play TMBG. I guess I am lucky because the local station here play TMBG about once a day. They takes requests and play most if not all of them. The station is 106.3 out of Eatontown, NJ. I guess I am pretty lucky. Carrie Hoffmann * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- "I'm crazy, but I get the job done!" - Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:41:57 -0400 Subject: TMBG:Bootlegs Message-ID: <19970623.084158.3822.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Ineedtoknowho (Damn! Now myspacebardon'tworkstill!) Ok. I'll use tab. I need to know how to get good bootlegs. What are some awesome ones? How do I get some? All I have to give is my body, soul, or money. -D. Hutch P.S.- AnyoneKnowWhatTheHellHappenedToMySpacebar? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706231331.JAA16666@seawolf.rs.itd.umich.edu> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:31:46 -0400 From: susan lyon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences At 12:28 AM 6/23/97 -0700, Bongo wrote: >Thanks Joel for the info on the John and John's favorite bands. I >saw it on the net somewhere before (is it on the official site?) Yeah, I agree! That was really interesting! > Oh yeah, Linnell said he likes The Smiths. Has anyone out there >noticed any seemingly Smiths/Morissey influence in any TMBG songs? I hardly have an unbiased opinion on this (since I adore the Smiths almost as much as TMBG) but I've occasionally noticed things in TMBG songs that might be references to the Smiths or Morrissey. I still think that "Which Describles How You're Feeling All The Time" is about the Smiths. "Overseas" sorta rhymes with "Morrissey"...he's overseas (in England, "overseas there's this guy who describes how you're feeling all the time")...his lyrics (arguably) describe feeling all sad and angsty ("when you sigh at the cracks in the ceiling all the time" and "when you lie that your life's unappealing all the time")... Morrissey always claimed to lead an uptight, restrictive lifestyle ("even straighter than his spine")... Of course, I also thought it could be poking fun at angstier-than-thou fans of certain 80's British bands... just my humble opinion. susan * ------------------------------------- the nicest of the damned mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer * ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:27:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and me. Message-ID: On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:47:54 -0400 (EDT) Sean Kinlin > writes: > > Well, when They appeared in Wherehouse records in Ann Arbor, > >MI > >(2/19/97), as They were leaving, I said "Bye John and John!" as the > >Johns > >went past. Then as Dan and Graham went by I said "Bye Dan, bye > >Graham," > >and Graham said, "See you later!" > > So did John and John pretend not to hear you and just scurry by with > their heads facing the ground? Well, they certainly appeared not to hear me, as they made a beeline for the store's back room. Whether they didn't hear me or ignored me, I will never know... ...perhaps Linnell contained his secret smile. :) -Sean ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:03:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970623110333_24762621@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Summer Breeze In a message dated 97-06-23 08:13:19 EDT, arsenio@voicenet.com (Ben Greenberg) writes: << This is called "Summer Breeze." There is a wav (or MP3, i dont remember) of it on The Factory Homepage at http://blamo.simplenet.com/tmbg/main.html. -Ben >> The direct link to the sounds page on Blamo is http://blamo.simplenet.com/tmbg/sound.html And they have a Summer Breeze WAV file there. Joel "The Official Results for the creation of a Mike Leffel Mailing List (MLML) are: Ye (16) & Ne(4)" Gedalius PS: I ain't gonna make the list. I just count the votes ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706231505.AA07452@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:05:53 -0400 (EDT) > > Oh yeah, Linnell said he likes The Smiths. Has anyone out there > >noticed any seemingly Smiths/Morissey influence in any TMBG songs? > > I hardly have an unbiased opinion on this (since I adore the Smiths > almost as much as TMBG) but I've occasionally noticed things in > TMBG songs that might be references to the Smiths or Morrissey. I > still think that "Which Describles How You're Feeling All The Time" > is about the Smiths. "Overseas" sorta rhymes with "Morrissey"...he's > overseas (in England, "overseas there's this guy who describes how > you're feeling all the time")...his lyrics (arguably) describe feeling > all sad and angsty ("when you sigh at the cracks in the ceiling all the > time" and "when you lie that your life's unappealing all the time")... > Morrissey always claimed to lead an uptight, restrictive lifestyle > ("even straighter than his spine")... > > Of course, I also thought it could be poking fun at angstier-than-thou > fans of certain 80's British bands... I probably find these last 2 lines to be more true than anything. It could go along with their skull (death?) sort of theme too. But 99.9% of the music they put out sounds nothing Smiths/Morrissey like at all, at least that I can think of (The .1% being the Darkened Corridors, that is rather Morrissey like). I'd say it's generally some kind of parody of pop culture, or at least some culture at the time (possibly the British music wave of the 80s) /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:15:03 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Okay: Questions. Message-ID: On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Dave Simpson wrote: > Actually I did just this. I went to that yp.uswest.com page (I think that's the > address -- check your phone books kiddies!), went to NY and typed in > "Flansburgh". I got about 8 or 9 Flansburghs, and 3 Linnells that way! > However, I'm probably wrong, as we don't know where their "parents" > really live! Oh, and who are Mike and Lawrence? They don't run the > X-treme games, do they? > Well, this supports my second theory, which I'm starting to like a lot, if only because it is more easily explained, I think. I think Flansy and Linnell just took the last names of thier adoptive parents, or their hosts more like. Mike and Lawrence are these guys traveling from Rhode Island to San Diego to see the X-Games in the commercials on ESPN for the games. It seemd like a logical explanation for the original question... (What happened? When did I start caring about logic?) > >Doctor memory is a bit hazy.) and they regenerate, but instead of > >regenerating into adults, they regenerate into children, and must be > >adopted by some family! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > Hey, I just thought of something: What if they do regenerate into children > again? That way they could A: get their songs produced that don't quite > fit into the current album molds, B: sing about things from this century as > if "they were there," and C: Perform for a whole new generation! > That's what I said! That' way, they live forever, build up an interesting life experience and an unusual grasp on the culture as they relive what it is like to be a child in different times. And, no one knows that there're immortals running around because they look different each time! IT's the time that they die that would be tricky, because they'd have to fake every one out by pretending to die, then some how escaping to regenerate. Maybe bloody, fiery car crashes... But this could explain the worldliness of their music, and even the song Counterfeit Fake: "Hey, Counterfeit Fake! History wants you they made a mistake!" History wants Flansy and Linnell back because they were supposed to die a long time ago, but instead, they are still alive! Yes, it is all becoming clear now! Stefanie "I'm not crazy! I'm not!" Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Subject: NON TMBG:DELETE Message-ID: <19970623.142239.8271.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:29:52 EDT Kindly delete and disregarde this message I had to test something. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970622234603.00697848@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:46:50 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Often mentioned bands. At 03:12 AM 6/23/97 -0700, you wrote: > >BARE NAKED LADIES ... I never heard them but I often see them praised >here and on the newsgroup. By their name, I would have assumed that they >were some sort of hill-billy jug band but if you guys say they're good >I'll give them a try. They're a mix of rock, jazz, and folk...that's the only real way I can describe them. I bought their first CD, Gordon, in December and couldn't stand it on the first listen. By the third listen, I was hooked. These guys are my second favorite band in the universe. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970623124428.00689124@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:44:33 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: Nickelodeon audio-spotting of fun! Said Stefanie Elliott: >Anyhoo, in the background was playing "So Long, Mockingbird", >'cept no lyrics. Well aware that it is a cover, this sounded like the >Mono Puff version. I thought Mockingbird was an original Flans composition. ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970623154024.007db100@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:40:24 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Misc Replies Adventures? ... in Stereo? I think this is what John L said in some internet chat about bands he liked. I don't Know if "Adventures in Stereo" is the name of a band... or if he was confused about the title of the new REM album. Bands (non-TMBG:) Well BONGO or someone posted their opinion... so I'll post mine. This is what I think of bands I have purchased based on recommendations from the list: Moxy Fruvous: good... I love the harmony and barbershop-esque sections, although Bargainville is a little too politically-minded, and You Will Go To The Moon, the only other I own has too little a cappella sections, but is a little less socially-concious. Ben Folds Five: really good... I don't see where you get the "saying 'I'm so cool...'" I would consider it the oposite. If anything, BFF lyrics are complaining about being a loser. But personally I don't consider it to be either. I just like the music. Squirrel Nut Zippers: something new and entirely different. That is, unless you look back in time at the LAST time this kind of music was popular... I like most of the songs on HOT... but you can find better swing music on "Swing Spectacular" the soundtrack to a PBS special, I think... Barenaked Ladies: I think they are perhaps the most similar to TMBG... their lyrics aren't "trying" to be funny... but do contain clever puns, and humor that some might find "funny"... although, like TMBG, they are not funny in the same way Weird Al is... (Weird Al: though i liked him before I even heard TMBG, now I find him to be tiresome. The jokes in his songs are simply that; jokes. He has an excellent band, and is great at mimicking various styles. The only songs of his that I find to have any real replay value are his original compositions.) XTC: I bought a few XTC albums when I was a newbie here... I listened to Drums And Wires again... the one I didn't like much at first. It's beginning to grow on me... I'm going to buy Fossil Fuel if I can find it. I think they might be worth putting more money into... List Has anyone else noticed a downward trend in list postings? I think perhaps Ruprect and MIKe's few well written/thought-out posts have pushed everyone else in the opposite direction... My opinions don't matter. Agree if you wish... -ec ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:41:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970623164144_-327560860@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: J&J's Musical Preferences >Has anyone out there noticed any seemingly Smiths/Morissey influence in any >TMBG songs? Frankly, Mr. Shankly has a certain TMBG sound to it. TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33AEEF85.D1C@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:49:57 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Party > > I'm trying to plan a TMBG party in my town, you know: invite all the TMBG > > lovers as well > > as a bunch of Floodies to try and get them to expand their horisons, and I > > have some questions > > about what I could do besides have Them-centered foods (suggestions?) or > > music and possible > > dancing or what-not.... > "Them-centered foods"? Tell me more. I gotta hear this. Seattle coffee is the best. THE BEST. Maybe Jesse, Lani, and I could snag some. I mean, for the OMLC, at least. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970623231542.15574.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:15:42 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: card-carrying moose humpers, eh? ---Mooseful@aol.com wrote: > What's next,Mike Leffel Humpers of America? I don't think so. I'd hafta kill then. Anastasia _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970623232039.16143.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:20:39 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLC ---'Lani' N Olson wrote: > > On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Ruprecht wrote: > > > Perhaps I'm missing out on the point here, but shouldn't the big listie > > tmbg concert be in Oklahoma (insert slogan about flesh and wheat here)? > > Or am I now the only one who recalls such ideas? Yeah! Flesh Fest 97! I'm all for it!!! Cookie Oklahoma City, OK _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970623233542.17456.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:35:42 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff ---Evan Chakroff wrote: > > Question: was Mono Puff's last tour (last summer?)of this? Another MP question: Who are the chicks in the DWDTN(TR) video? (Which is, by the way, brilliant.) The glamour queen in the shades and the exotic one drinking wine with Satan. J/A, Cookie _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ From: StereoPuff@aol.com Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:43:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970623194052_1310113480@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: A Testimonial Dinner Evan Chakroff wrote: > >everyone who owns A Testimonial Dinner, the XTC tribute album may want to >get out their booklets... >You may notice under TMBG's listing a Eric Sanko: bass >Who is this? was this the only time he played with them? When was this song >recorded? i believe that 25 O'Clock was recorded in late-spring '95 (They were originally going to cover "This Is Pop?" but didn't). Eric Sanko was brought in as a quickie replacemant for Tony Maimone, who had left by then. Graham was on the last legs of Joe Jackson's "Night Music" tour at that point, and thusly didn't officially join TMBG until late '95. AFAIK, They never played any live shows with Eric. And, for the first part of your question... Eric Sanko is a talented bassist living in New York, who used to be a member of the Lounge Lizards and had a brief side project band called Fertile Crescent. He can now be seen/heard as the frontman for the dynamic & powerful NYC quartet known as Skeleton Key (also featuring Steve Calhoon from Mono Puff), who have just released their debut CD "Fantastic Spikes Through Balloon" on Capitol Records. Go buy it now!!! =) >PS. you may also notice Graham Maby, playing with Joe Jackson. well, probably because Graham has been a longtime friend & bassist for Joe Jackson since the 70's. Sadly, I'm afraid that Graham might be inclined to leave TMBG when Joe's next album/tour comes out in late '97/ early '98... =~( (which I suppose doesn't affect ME, since I like JJ as much as TMBG anyway... =} ) Mike Wood --------- "Shadows are cast as two Giants roam over the Earth" - Joe Jackson ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970623235844.28550.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: TMBG: non tmbg: Ignore if you're not Heather Tinkler or Russ Josephson I need both of you to email me (If you're still on here) ASAP. Anastasia === ********************************************************************************************* This message has been brought to you by Saint Ana The Suave Productions. Dig? Visit http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 for fun and excitement. _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970623235639.28351.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:56:38 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: Non-TMBG: You're all invited to a list wedding! Hi Listies! Cookie here! Just wanted to gloat that Mike Leffel and I are engaged! Wheee! Anyhoo, the wedding will take place sometime before the new fall season of Must see tv. We'll live with Mike's mom. So, be there! C ookie Leffel === ********************************************************************************************* This message has been brought to you by Saint Ana The Suave Productions. Dig? Visit http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 for fun and excitement. _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706240010.RAA02350@f50.hotmail.com> From: "matt banham" Subject: TMBG: other bands similar to tmbg Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:10:41 PDT Hello everyone, here are some bands which have simalarities to tmbg: 1) The Sugarplastic 2) Primus 3) jonothon richman 4) Space 5) captain pyjama if you have any questions about these bands plese write back. Matt * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706240056.AA00412@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: smells like teen spirit Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:56:46 -0400 (EDT) > ---Matthew James wrote: > > > > why do I have this sinking feeling that TMBG had done a (parody) > cover > > of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana? Maybe a Stumpbox song? hmm, > > maybe I am just going crazy. > > It was Weird Al, not TMBG. TMBG don't do parodies. So chill. > > /Matt Mmm, I could be wrong, I haven't listened to it in a long time, but wasn't Elvira by the Oakridge Boys kind of a TMBG parody, or perhaps We are the World by Hands Across America? Surely these can't be real covers. Maybe I'm wrong. > > Stasi > ps- what's stumpbox? It's a lovely tape of TMBG covers, that I really haven't listened to in quite a while. bye, /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:28:11 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands similar to tmbg Message-ID: On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, matt banham wrote: > here are some bands which have simalarities to tmbg: > 4) Space Space? I love Space, but I don't MUCH see the similarity between said band and TMBG. Whatever evidence you have, I'm more than open to hearing, but... as of right now I've got to say I just don't see it. However, I must say that I *do* strongly recommend Space to all of you. Jen :0 'Incense, peppermints, a big can of Spam....' --Space Ghost 'The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.' --Douglas Adams ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-174 ******************************