Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-177 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 177 Friday, 27 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG foods TMBG: Re: Humor TMBG: OMLC Special Event... Re: TMBG: (She Was A) Vinyl Detective... Re: TMBG: Writing with CDs and Records (was :(She Was A) Vinyl Detective...) TMBG: Hammer Down! Re: TMBG: Then review in the NY Press. TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: bye! (sort of) Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Re: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Re: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do TMBG: Foods again! Re: semi-TMBG: fountains of wayne TMBG: Horrible thread in the making NON-TMBG: FarSide cartoon TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 Re: NON-TMBG: FarSide cartoon TMBG: Cultural Doughnut TMBG: Re: Huh? Re: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut Re: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut TMBG: I love the theatre of Dr. TMBG: Is the list dead today or what? NON-TMBG: DM Re: NON-TMBG: DM Re: TMBG: Then review in the NY Press. Re: TMBG: Horrible thread in the making Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 Re: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut Re: NON-TMBG: DM TMBG: death of TMBG TMBG: Lynch Re: TMBG: Lynch Re: NON-TMBG: DM Re: TMBG: Lynch Re: TMBG: Lynch Re: TMBG: death of TMBG Re: NON-TMBG: DM TMBG: FYI Re: TMBG: death of TMBG TMBG: dj's/Aussie JH/single choices/OAT Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who Re: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Re: semi-TMBG: fountains of wayne Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 03:07:17 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG foods Message-ID: <19970626.030718.4862.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Exquisite Bread Guy- Tasty Gingerbread cookies. Your own Bratwurst Enemy- Yuck! XTC and Chocolate covered ants- A lethal combination Dig my gravy!- Mached potatoes 'n' gravy We want rock candy- for dessert Hot Cha-colate-- Hot chocolate Snailshell-- Escargo (I know it's spelled wrong!) AKA Screwdriver-- Nyquil+(orange juice+vodka)=death maybe this one is a bad idea....forget the nyquil. Ice cream U.S.A-- that's all I wanna say. Ana Angus-- Chipped beef I've Got a Batch-- choc. chip cookies. I'll Drink Manhattans-- More alcohol! Nightcap of the Sullen Moon-- Gettin little...druuuunk... Hey, Mr. DJ, I Ordered A Happy Meal-- There's always McDonalds! --David "........." Hutch P.S.-The Dust Brothers.....are they now the Chemical Bros.? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B25388.5AEC@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:33:41 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Humor Matthew James wrote: ((concerning Humor in music, mostly about Moxy Fruvous, BNL)) People seem to think that being a "novelty" band or playing "joke" songs is somehow less relevant than being a "real" band... Well, I ask you: why try to convince yourself that TMBG are *not* a "joke" band? [1] If you look at other aspects of popular culture you will see that humor has as much a place as any other genre. In movies and television, comedies are often just as popular as dramas. Would a typical "mainstream" person be ashamed to go see a comedy (say... Austin Powers), as they might be ashamed to listen to a "novelty band"? When people say Particle Man is funny, that doesn't mean they don't like it... on first listen it *is* funny... nonsensial lyrics, odd instrumentation. If you don't explore the deeper interpretations of the lyrics it could be seen as merely a novelty track. Feel free to respond. This would have been better if I had outlined it first like my English teacher taught me... -ec [1] I'm not saying I see TMBG as a joke band. Bongo says: I never meant to suggest that there is anything wrong with humor or humor in music. I think it's great! (I even listen Dr. Demento! ) I'm not ashamed to like a "novelty band". Its just that TMBG are not a novelty band. I think many people (including many of the fans) misunderstand TMBG. THEY rarely (if ever) make direct attempts at humor. Occasionally, things in their songs will might me laugh mildly but I'd never think of those song as "humorous". I think calling TMBG funny is sort of closed minded. Its almost like a person not being able to distinguish a subtle hue in the color spectrum. Compare TMBG to surrealist painters for a moment. Would you call the works of Rene Magrite or Salvador Dali "humorous". I wouldn't. Those two artist often present ideas that are simitaneously logical and yet wildly insane. Even if you react to their odd ideas with a little laughter I don't think you walk away thinking their work is humorous. -B O N G O PS: Austin Powers was very good. Its a great spoof of 60's culture, 60's film making styles, early James Bond movies and more. Plus its got a great soundtrack. ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 26 Jun 1997 22:50:40 +1000 Message-ID: <000F7D25.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: OMLC Special Event... Just a thought, but we could have Mike and Cookie's wedding at the OMLC? That could make it an interesting event. Interestinger, at least :) Andrew C ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:43:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970626094318_-1562225397@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: (She Was A) Vinyl Detective... << Like many of their records from that era, this one has writing etched into the inner hub >> >>Yeah, what's the deal with that, anyways? I bought a copy of Lincoln on vinyl and it has something about that "I don't want the world...." quote. Who etched that in there? Do all of the Lincoln vinyls have the same thing etched in?>> Yes, they all do--a cool little bonus for the vinyl collectors. The Pink album has "Johnny phone home" and the DAS number etched into it, along with 2 pictures of John and John, one on each side. I've heard there's a vinyl Misc. T with something etched into it, but have never seen such an item. Any other vinyl "extras" out there? Kay ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:17:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970626101748_879840451@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Writing with CDs and Records (was :(She Was A) Vinyl Detective...) In a message dated 97-06-26 09:21:08 EDT, SUZZIE5808@aol.com writes: << Yeah, what's the deal with that, anyways? I bought a copy of Lincoln on vinyl and it has something about that "I don't want the world...." quote. Who etched that in there? Do all of the Lincoln vinyls have the same thing etched in? AnnA >> Well, at first I thought nothing of this, but now maybe it means something. This week, I finally purchased a copy of T:TEY . Anyway, I was just taking apart the case and on the underside of the coverpaper (the sheet with the artwork) on the front cover (ship in bottle pic) on the white side, it says: "Keep Coming Back For More!" written in a black magic marker. Do all T:TEY have this. Who would this be? Someone at the Info Club? Joel "Is this my sister playing a mean joke on me?" Gedalius ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706261435.AA02454@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Hammer Down! Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:35:45 -0400 (EDT) > Things I learn while working at AAA Travel-- > One thing I do is stamp construction and leaf through brouchures in my > spare time... > I found out that theres a pass in colorado called Rabbit Ears Pass. Did you tell people to say "Hammer down!" when they go through the pass? > Also, there's a countryclub/ resort in Ireland called Kildare's. Kildare is a county in Ireland, thus one can guess where they got the resort name from. Does this have some reference to TMBG? (just curious) > > thanks all, my time is really short, so take heart! I will reply!! -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706261437.AA02461@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Then review in the NY Press. Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:37:28 -0400 (EDT) > As someone who came aboard TMBG-fandom late (1995), it surprises and irks me > when They are dismissed as has-beens, as this review strongly implies. > Perhaps this is mainly because they never really got what they deserved in > the first place. "Don't Let's Start," "Ana Ng," and "Birdhouse" were all > quite successful singles, but not the > classic-instantly-recognized-by-everyone hits they deserved to be. My first > TMBG cd was John Henry, and it hooked me _instantly_, so I don't think > they've lost that fresh, experimental, insidiously catchy, sometimes > frustratingly hard-to-define quality they started with, and I still think > they both have a lot to accomplish as TMBG. What I do think has slipped is > their (or maybe the record company's) ability to pick the best singles from > the album. "Snail Shell" and "SEXXY" are both fine songs, but hardly the > best on their respective albums, and "Snail Shell" in particular sounds like > they were trying a bit to hard to tap into the "popular" alternative market, > and we all know they're better than that. Overall, I'd say they've done a > wonderful job of sticking to their true alternative power-pop roots without > becoming the least bit tired or outdated. Remember, they're the only band that refuses to be a power to be reckoned with. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:06:47 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Message-ID: <19970626.120648.6374.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> JOY!!!!! I put on Unsupervised, and played Guitar Was The Case on the right speaker, then again on the left speaker! I never knew that it was a "surf guitar duel" between John FlansburgH and Mike Viola of the Candy Butchers! Flansy is on the right speaker (he really tears it up!!!), and he is clearly the winner.(1.) Mikey does a good job, though. --David "You probably already knew this" Hutch (1.) Of course my opinion is biased. I'm no mutineer! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:13:37 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: bye! (sort of) Message-ID: Not that anyone but me even cares, but I'm switchin' to digest, at least for a while. I'm just getting too much mail right now. I'll probably miss the list too much and come right back, but for now, auf wiedersehen! -Lani O:) *sniff* lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970626121901.006d3bdc@mail.ee.net> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:19:01 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Who wrote the title song from that movie? Was it Mike Viola of the Candy Butchers (also of various TMBG relation...) or was it the guy from Fountains of Wayne? I've heard contradictory info on this. and.. TMBG: Is there anything etched into the side of WDTSS? or O Tannenbaum vinyl? Well, I'll soon find out anyway.... I just ordered them both [1]. -ec [1] check out www.gemm.com for a list of dealers... they have some rare tmbg stuff... a lot is really expensive :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:25:22 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Message-ID: so... I've heard that it's the guy from Fountains of Wayne, but it might be a collaborative effort. The story at the radio station where I work is that it was the FoW guy and maybe Tom Hanks. BTW, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head. UGH! jen :9 'Incense, peppermints, a big can of Spam....' --Space Ghost 'The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.' --Douglas Adams ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706261638.AA02535@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:38:24 -0400 (EDT) > I've heard that it's the guy from Fountains of Wayne, but it might be a > collaborative effort. The story at the radio station where I work is that > it was the FoW guy and maybe Tom Hanks. > > BTW, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head. UGH! No, it was definitely Mike Viola. I have heard a radio interview with him about him writing it (and getting no respect for it, his name appears below the horse handlers and such on the credits, supposedly). There were newspaper artcles about this, too, about how Mike Viola got jypped in the credit category. He also sang it. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:00:59 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Foods again! Message-ID: Hey! I suddenly decided that I should spend the time I used to spend sifting through e-mail (now that I'm on digest) doing something productive. So I want to keep a list of all the wonderful foods we've thunk up. Yes, I'm sure someone's already doing this, and yes, I know we won't want to remember this thread in the future, but that's just too bad. Could you send your TMBG foods to me personally (just their NAMES, not the foods THEMSELVES)? Please? Thank you SOOO much!! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <83DB9F7E.23E5@baka.com> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1904 23:53:34 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: fountains of wayne > > Who wrote the title song from that movie? Was it Mike Viola of the Candy > Butchers (also of various TMBG relation...) or was it the guy from > Fountains of Wayne? I think it was Mike Viola, though one of the Fountains of Wayne guys(Chris Collingwood, I believe) is in Ivy, a band which has opened for TMBG. And I'd like to officially add FoW to the list of bands which sound sorta kinda like TMBG, due their voices(sorta like flans's), the fact that it's only two guys, the sheer catchiness, and the similar synth-type sound. FoW, however, have much more "conventional" lyrics and a more poppy sound. And by the way, TMBG and FoW are about my mom's two favorite bands that I listen to. -- "I trust you will tell me if I am making a fool of myself"-Pavement Jonah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626120841.006f4cf4@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:20:01 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Horrible thread in the making >It's Apple (Not Constantinople) pie >Lady Fingertips > >Ok, these are just getting worse and worse. I'm going to go to my padded >room now. Y'know, I have this funny feeling that, a year from now, we'll look back on this thread and sob. - David James Stein ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626120545.006f4cf4@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:19:59 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: NON-TMBG: FarSide cartoon >Mike "I also have a copy of the FarSide Cartoon on tape!!!!(*)" Leffel God what a horrible piece of trash. I love the Far Side and forced myself to sit through the whole thing (yes, recording it as well.) My first actions after it was over: 1. Rewind tape 2. Record over it - David James Stein ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626120007.006f4cf4@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:19:57 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 > People seem to think that being a "novelty" band or playing "joke" songs >is somehow less relevant than being a "real" band... Well, I ask you: why >try to convince yourself that TMBG are *not* a "joke" band? There's nothing wrong with being a band that uses humor in any form in its music. The problem is that most bands who do this put very little creativity and effort into the "music" part, which just becomes scenery for their humor, or their humor is painfully bad. You need good music to complement this, because any comedy act gets old after hearing it three or four times. What TMBG has that others don't is catchy, creative music to back up really clever humor. - David James Stein ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626115355.006f4cf4@pop.service.ohio-state.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:19:56 -0400 From: "D. James Stein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 > Not true! I'd say TMBG could be in store for alot of luck soon. The >history of popular music shows us that once a mainstream style gets old, >its overthrown by something radically different or even opposite. This >is happening now! The *angst/grunge/Seattle* thing is old news. The Funny to base predictions about the direction and near future of the music industry on one band like SNZ. Actually, I agree that the whole Seattle grunge scene is headed out the door, but I have no idea in which direction it will turn. Will it go happy/childish/manic, like some SNZ and (risking getting email bombed and accused of starting a horrible thread again) Hanson? Or will it just drop grunge and stick with dance music, the other side of contemporary pop music's coin? Wait and see. Let's just hope it's something we like. One thing we can count on: TMBG will most likely NOT be part of the forefront. - David James Stein ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706261929.AA02630@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FarSide cartoon Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:29:45 -0400 (EDT) > > >Mike "I also have a copy of the FarSide Cartoon on tape!!!!(*)" Leffel > > God what a horrible piece of trash. I love the Far Side and forced myself > to sit through the whole thing (yes, recording it as well.) My first > actions after it was over: > 1. Rewind tape > 2. Record over it > > - David James Stein I thought this was some kind of job out of the mind of Mike Leffel, but is this really a real cartoon? When was this made? I've only ever seen the comic strip (or maybe I should say panel). Thanks. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626133141.007a2580@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:31:43 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut I was reading a description of TMBG's British Apollo 18 promo, wherein they describe themselves as filling in the hole in the world's cultural doughnut. Well, many doughnut places sell little bits of dough that were supposedly punched out of the doughnut to make the hole. They go by various names, but I have found the most common around here to be "TimBits." Thus, the following exchange could take place: Person X: How would you describe your favorite band, Person Y? Person Y: Two TimBits singing about wishniks. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:55:59 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Huh? Message-ID: <19970626.130611.11398.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) TMBG Unplugged would be great! Don't knock Jewel. She's too pretty to play an electric guitar. I think Jewel has an unplugged album out. It's called Pieces of You. Josh Nielsen On 22 Jun 1997 17:42:08 GMT mdjsk@aol.com (MDJSK) writes: >At least TMBG unplugged would work, as opposed to JEWEL unplugged or >OASIS >unplugged...(boy, love that acoustic version of "wonderwall," it feels >like I've heard it before though...) And JEWEL?? She's never used an >electric guitar in her LIFE!! >(Sorry, didn't get any coffe this morning) >-Jake > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut Message-ID: <19970626.170405.4455.4.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:11:52 EDT On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:31:43 -0600 David Bryan writes: >I was reading a description of TMBG's British Apollo 18 promo, wherein >they >describe themselves as filling in the hole in the world's cultural >doughnut. Well, many doughnut places sell little bits of dough that >were >supposedly punched out of the doughnut to make the hole. They go by >various >names, but I have found the most common around here to be "TimBits." >Thus, >the following exchange could take place: > >Person X: How would you describe your favorite band, Person Y? > >Person Y: Two TimBits singing about wishniks. > > > >-- >Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid >one, >and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. >http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ > > Not to try and 1-up you or anything but, and please correct me if I'm wrong, didn't They say that the gap in the doughnut should be expanded? * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626152627.007a1100@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:26:29 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut At 05:11 PM 26/06/97 EDT, you wrote: >>the following exchange could take place: >> >>Person X: How would you describe your favorite band, Person Y? >> >>Person Y: Two TimBits singing about wishniks. > >Not to try and 1-up you or anything but, and please correct me if I'm >wrong, >didn't They say that the gap in the doughnut should be expanded? Beats me. I haven't actually seen the thing. I think it would still fit, however. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:32:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970626183205_946985828@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I love the theatre of Dr. > Also, there's a countryclub/ resort in Ireland called Kildare's. Kildare is a county in Ireland, thus one can guess where they got the resort name from. Does this have some reference to TMBG? (just curious) I thought, Mono Puffish, you know? Maybe not. Okay, never mind. Heather, with one t, Heather (not with one H because then it would be heater.. and that just doesn't work.) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970627004736.4886.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:47:36 -0700 (PDT) From: The Almighty Cookie Subject: TMBG: Is the list dead today or what? Like, I haven't gotten any messages today. Did everyone go on vacation or what? "Now it's over-I'm dead an I haven't done anything that I want/ or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do"-TMBG, "dead" "We went to the Pizza Company / and we ordered some hot tea / the waitress said 'No / we only have it iced,' / so we jumped up on the table / and shouted 'Anarchy!' / then someone played a Beach Boys song / on the jukebox /it was "California Dreamin'" / so we started screaming / on such a winter's day....." Dead Milkmen, "Punk Rock Girl" === This message is brought to you by SAINT ANA THE SUAVE PRODUCTIONS Get Stomped!at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "We're the Spice Girls! It's good to be back! All f%$#ing right!" John Flansburgh %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706270052.AA02794@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: DM Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:52:50 -0400 (EDT) > Like, I haven't gotten any messages today. Did everyone go on vacation > or what? I've been getting mail all day. > > "Now it's over-I'm dead an I haven't done anything that I want/ or I'm > still alive and there's nothing I want to do"-TMBG, "dead" > > "We went to the Pizza Company / and we ordered some hot tea / the > waitress said 'No / we only have it iced,' / so we jumped up on the > table / and shouted 'Anarchy!' / then someone played a Beach Boys song > / on the jukebox /it was "California Dreamin'" / so we started > screaming / on such a winter's day....." > Dead Milkmen, "Punk Rock Girl" I always thought the strangest thing about this song was that California Dreamin' isn't by the Beach Boys but by the Mamas and the Papas.. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706270107.UAA01676@dfw-ix15.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: DM Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:04:47 -0700 Actually during the 1990's the Beach boys released a single of a cover of this Mama and Papas song | I always thought the strangest thing about this song was that California | Dreamin' isn't by the Beach Boys but by the Mamas and the Papas.. | /Matt | ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 19:55:54 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706270155.TAA10982@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Then review in the NY Press. At 04:00 PM 6/25/97 EDT, you wrote: >Does anyone know how many people are presently on this list? I was >thinking about that the other day, and this post reminded me about it. Well let's see.. there's me and you. And the guy who wrote the message you replied to. That's, umm.. three. And there's Mike Leffel, and Queen Sneepy, and Matt James, and Yoel97, and umm that's 7. There's probably more, but that's a good ballpark number I'd guess. Save Dimpson CotharLo Speling is not awr strong sewt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:06:14 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706270206.UAA11521@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Horrible thread in the making At 03:20 PM 6/26/97 -0400, you wrote: >Y'know, I have this funny feeling that, a year from now, we'll look back on >this thread and sob. Yeah. Ain't it cool? Dave Simpson LotharCo Yup. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:09:20 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706270209.UAA11746@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 At 03:19 PM 6/26/97 -0400, you wrote: >Wait and see. Let's just hope it's something we like. One thing we can >count on: TMBG will most likely NOT be part of the forefront. I like this guy. He brings an air of confidence and optimism to the newsgroup. We need more happy-go-lucky types like him. Okay everyone: BE HAPPY AND OPTIMISTIC! I know it'll be a big shift, but like the song says: "they have a fight. Triangle wins." (Which John would be Triangle Man then?) Dave Simpson LotharCo If you can't say something productive, we can use you. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:12:37 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706270212.UAA11873@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Cultural Doughnut At 01:31 PM 6/26/97 -0600, you wrote: >Person X: How would you describe your favorite band, Person Y? > >Person Y: Two TimBits singing about wishniks. You'll probably get the same reaction from most people as if you just said They Might Be Giants. Dave Simpson LotharCo thirty-two! thirty-two! thirty-thirty-two! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:18:27 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706270218.UAA12081@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: DM At 08:52 PM 6/26/97 -0400, you wrote: >I always thought the strangest thing about this song was that California >Dreamin' isn't by the Beach Boys but by the Mamas and the Papas.. It's a cover. Dave Simpson LotharCo Why is "conciseness" is such a long word? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:38:12 -0600 Subject: TMBG: death of TMBG Message-ID: <19970626.203820.9630.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Okay, I'm writting this in response to the NY press reviewer. I say that TMBG will never die until this mailing list is no longer in existence. my 32 cents. sorry, i have to put this quote in here: "dinner, you ate it. there is none left. it was salty, with butter and it was deaf. you proceeded to eat it cuz you was in the mood, but homes you did not read it was a can of dog food." "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970627125936.006a1b6c@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:59:36 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: TMBG: Lynch I just saw the Lost Highway, David Lynch's new film, and it was absolutely amazing. Which leads me to think... Has anybody noticed the similarities between Lynch and TMBG?? Both are artists doig something different with their artform, both have styles hard to explain to the uninitiated, both have a dark, otherworldly tone to a lot of their work... Both like coffee alot... Anyway, whatever Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 22:07:56 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706270307.WAA07361@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Lynch >Has anybody noticed the similarities between Lynch and TMBG?? Both are >artists doig something different with their artform, both have styles hard >to explain to the uninitiated, both have a dark, otherworldly tone to a lot >of their work... Dark and otherworldly? That is hardly the way I'd describe TMBG. Their style just seems like pop, with a dab of polka. Mitch ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706270307.AA02950@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: DM Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:07:43 -0400 (EDT) > At 08:52 PM 6/26/97 -0400, you wrote: > >I always thought the strangest thing about this song was that California > >Dreamin' isn't by the Beach Boys but by the Mamas and the Papas.. > It's a cover. > If Charles Box is right about the Beach Boys covering it in the 90s then there's no way DM could have been referring to that as Beelzebubba (the DM album Punk Rock Girl is on) came out in 1988. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970627133613.0068f980@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:36:13 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: TMBG: Lynch >Dark and otherworldly? That is hardly the way I'd describe TMBG. Their style >just seems like pop, with a dab of polka. I agree with you to a point, but you must admit that Exquisite Dead Guy, Dead, Subliminal, Self called nowhere and lots of others have a sense of either darkness or other worldliness and are hardly "pop, with a dab of polka". Even when they are, the lyrics are often dark (see a previous thread for argument about this one) and I think that dark lyrics with poppy music mgives a sense of something slightly strange. Just as I write this I am listening to the quite poppy and happy sounding "Turn Around" with the lyrics "turn around, it's a human skull on the ground" and "his face which was a paper white mask of evil". TO hear that sung happily gave me a strange, uneasyness, not unlike the darkness behind the innocent happy exterior in Twin Peaks or other Lynch works. Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 22:32:04 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706270332.WAA03563@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Lynch >I agree with you to a point, but you must admit that Exquisite Dead Guy, >Dead, Subliminal, Self called nowhere and lots of others have a sense of >either darkness or other worldliness and are hardly "pop, with a dab of >polka". Even when they are, the lyrics are often dark (see a previous >thread for argument about this one) and I think that dark lyrics with poppy >music mgives a sense of something slightly strange. > >Just as I write this I am listening to the quite poppy and happy sounding >"Turn Around" with the lyrics "turn around, it's a human skull on the >ground" and "his face which was a paper white mask of evil". TO hear that >sung happily gave me a strange, uneasyness, not unlike the darkness behind >the innocent happy exterior in Twin Peaks or other Lynch works. I still must disagree. I think that Subliminal is more of a rock song, as is Self Called Nowhere. Dead still seems like pop to me. I am not disputing that many of their lyrics, if taken separately from the music, might appear to be dark or strange. But when placed in the context of the music, they just come across as happy and funny. I don't find the repeated skull/death theme to be dark, because it just seems to be a theme insofar as it appears in the lyrics frequently. Maybe it's just me. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 21:38:30 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706270338.VAA14668@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: death of TMBG At 08:38 PM 6/26/97 -0600, you wrote: >"Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of >nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG Question. Which song is this a quote from? I"ve never heard it before. Dave Simpson LotharCo Heyy.. pretzels! ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:39:09 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970626233908_-1945808752@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: DM In a message dated 97-06-26 23:35:51 EDT, mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: << > "We went to the Pizza Company / and we ordered some hot tea / the > waitress said 'No / we only have it iced,' / so we jumped up on the > table / and shouted 'Anarchy!' / then someone played a Beach Boys song > / on the jukebox /it was "California Dreamin'" / so we started > screaming / on such a winter's day....." > Dead Milkmen, "Punk Rock Girl" >> "We got into a car away we started rollin/I said how much you pay for this?/she said nothin man, it's stolen/Punk Rock Girl/you look so wild/let's have a child/we'll name her Minnie Pearl/just you and me/eat fudge banana swirl......"DMM OTHER DEAD MILKMEN FANS!?!?!?! Amongst worshippers of TMBG, no less!!! You made my day, now you have to sleep in it, hehehe............ AnnA ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706270403.XAA00221@dfw-ix15.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: FYI Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 21:01:01 -0700 No TMBG content. but this saturday on PBS On Tour a couple of groups some list members like will be appearing on their show Cracker is pretty cool, IMHO Episode 4 Sat June 28th Beck (8/21/96: The Concert Hall--Toronto, Ontario) The Refreshments (4/20/96: KTOZ Festival--Springfield, Missouri) Cibo Matto (8/21/96: The Concert Hall--Toronto, Ontario) Rickie Lee Jones (7/24/96: H.O.R.D.E. Festival 2nd Stage: Blockbuster Desert Sky Pavillion) Cracker (8/18/96: Pine Knob Auditorium-- Clarkston, MI) .......Charles Box ...babble@ix.netcom.com ..tape trading page: http://pw1.netcom.com/~babble/tape.htm ...."You can lose your way .......you can lose your mind .........you can lose your head ........keep your eyes and still be blind" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626205753.0068a048@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:58:00 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: death of TMBG At 09:38 PM 6/26/97 -0600, you wrote: >Question. Which song is this a quote from? I"ve never heard it before. That's from 'Rat Patrol', a Dial-A-Song and a song cut from FS. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970626223701.006da484@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 22:37:16 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: dj's/Aussie JH/single choices/OAT >Also, if you have a penis and aren't afraid to use it, check out: > www.cs.uit.no/~haakonb/diaz.html >Cameron Diaz is so beautiful.... *sigh* Dave... not here. It's extremely off-topic, and I am not particularly interested in hearing about your feelings about Cameron Diaz. >The d.j who won't play TMBG songs? >Tell him "Hey Mr. D.J, I thought you said we had a deal." >And tell him that Flans wore a shirt that said "D.J" on Dec. 4, 1996 >"Who's the D.J. now, mother f***er?!?" --Flans to a d.j. I was looking through a San Jose phone book yesterday, and I came across a dj service called "Hey Mr. DJ". I dunno if they're TMBG fans or not, but if I ever need a dj, they're getting my business. :) >www.cdnow.com said there is a $30.00 (+S&H) import of John Henry with >some live stuff on it. Anyone? John Relph, if you're out there, this is another candidate for the FAQ. The Aussie import of JH does have live tracks on it; six of them, IIRC. They're taken from the fabled Live In New York recording (but (and this is important) they do not comprise the entire cd), and the general consensus on this list has been that it's not really worth the extra $15 or so. You'd be better off trading someone for the complete Live In New York recording. If you ask very nicely and promise not to post anything about which actresses you find attractive again, I might even do it myself. >Also, they >just aren't getting played on the radio as much as they used to >be ... or played on MTV ... they've only released one single off >of each of their last two albums ... Yah, but that's not necessarily the fault of the Giants. It's Elektra's job to promote them, and they've been ignoring the Johns right shabbily. Perhaps the reason why FS has had only one single (JH had two; WDTSS? was also a single) is because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. (IMHO Elektra got what it paid for; if they'd promoted SEXXY more agressively or, even better, chosen Till My Head Falls Off as the single (anyone know if it's the artists or the record company that chooses the single?), they might well have fared much better.) Which brings up another point--why has the choice of singles recently been so uninspired? I genuinely dislike Snail Shell (waaaay too repetitive, with an uninteresting melody and instrumentation); Sleeping In The Flowers would have been a better choice, as it combines TMBG's signature off-kilter lyrics with a sound both interesting and radio-friendly. Likewise, SEXXY remains the only song on FS that I consistently skip (Pet Name is growing on me); Till My Head Falls Off would have been a better single. > Now now, no need to get drastic. I always say that the best thing I >like about about TMBG is the strange little game They play with irony. I >had to explain this to a friend once: the appeal of TMBG is that they write >incredibly catchy, bouncy, happy tunes, and if you just listen to the music >you can dance with glee. But if you listen to the lyrics, you'll find that >many of the songs are sad, bitter, and sarcastic. > Maybe I'm a rabid fan, but that juxtaposition is one of things I love most >about this band. YES! Thank you! That's *exactly* how I feel, and thank you for putting it so nicely! >Then again, why they'd chose to start with the single mix of DLS in the >first place is a bit confusing, so we may never know the true origins or >thinking behind this! Anyone interviewing Them in the near future? Please ask them this! But could someone please explain to me where to listen for the differences between the album and single mixes of DLS? I persist in not hearing them. While you're at it, could you also explain exactly what this line (from Then's liner notes) means? "[T]he computer acted as a controller for the gate effect on the guitar in Mister Me and Ana Ng." What is a gate effect? How can you use a computer to control a guitar? Where in these two songs should I listen for this gate effect? >But TMBG has made some songs that at >least on the surface appear to be funny and even goofy I think that fans and band alike have had "Oh, TMBG, what a funny novelty band" tossed at them so many times that they grow weary of defending TMBG's wonderful combination of levity and depth, and simply snarl at anyone who dares call TMBG humorous. But the humor is there, no denying it, in the form of irony, satire, puns, self-depreciation, out-and-out goofiness, etc.. >Death: The High Cost of Living Is this a comic book or a "real" book? Or what? I'd like to read it. >Would a typical "mainstream" person be >ashamed to go see a comedy (say... Austin Powers), as they might be ashamed >to listen to a "novelty band"? Yeah, but a "mainstream" person might be ashamed to say "Austin Powers is the pinnacle of cinematic achievement! It deserves a place next to Citizen Kane in the hallowed ranks of Great Movies!" Which is prolly analogous to how "mainstream" people interpret our devotion to a "novelty band." >"Counterfit Bake" Only if you'll be the Counterfeit Baker. > "J-E-L-L-O" Just make sure you make more than enough. >No One Knows My Flan She's right. You do need to serve Flan. And Linsburgh cheese, too. >>>BEN FOLDS FIVE >>I am in love with this band. >May I be the first to say here: BEN IS A GOD. Their first album is AMAZING. >Go get it if you haven't. May I humbly concur. I'd also like to toss in a plug for Moxy Fruvous, quite possibly one of the best bands in the known universe. Their music covers a range of styles and moods as broad as TMBG's, their 4-part harmonies are complex and beautiful, and the lyrics are layered and well-thought-out. Everyone who doesn't have Bargainville--run out and get it now. And order Wood and The B Album from Warner Canada if you can; they're well worth getting. >Sean was a founding member of >Rockapella, but he recently quit the group to go solo. Anyone know if Rockapella released an album? They KICKED ARSE on Carmen Sandiego, really one of the highlights of the show, and I'd love to get an album if there's one available. Gotta scoot now... gee this post was long. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 00:42:15 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who Message-ID: Well, Mr. Matt James seems to be on quite the campain to debunk all of my theories. :) Just some good natured ribbing, but really, I was just saying that They could be _like_ Dr. Who, but not necessarily Gallifreyan due to the fact that They regenerate as children instead of full adults. And even if they were from Gallefrey, who's to say what regeneration They're on? Hmmm? Hmmm? Stick that up yer nose and smell it! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 00:46:47 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: That Thing You Do Message-ID: On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Matthew James wrote: > No, it was definitely Mike Viola. I have heard a radio interview with > him about him writing it (and getting no respect for it, his name > appears below the horse handlers and such on the credits, supposedly). > There were newspaper artcles about this, too, about how Mike Viola got > jypped in the credit category. He also sang it. > /Matt > Now, how can this be true? I read that the guy from Fountains of Wayne (fantastic band, BTW) wrote it all by himself in the grand tradition of that kind of music, and the people in charge of the movie selected that one (along the lines, I believe, of Tom Hanks saying, "That's the one!") and that Adam Schlesinger, whom I believe was the one who did all of this, performed it himself as well. No mention or involvment of Mike Viola. Maybe he made a song and it just got rejected? So my question here is, if Mike Viola wrote and sang it, why would they attribute it to Adam Schlesinger? Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 00:50:44 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: fountains of wayne Message-ID: On Fri, 1 Jan 1904, Jonah wrote: > I think it was Mike Viola, though one of the Fountains of Wayne guys(Chris > Collingwood, I believe) is in Ivy, a band which has opened for TMBG. And I'd > like to officially add FoW to the list of bands which sound sorta kinda like > TMBG, due their voices(sorta like flans's), the fact that it's only two guys, > the sheer catchiness, and the similar synth-type sound. FoW, however, have much > more "conventional" lyrics and a more poppy sound. And by the way, TMBG and FoW > are about my mom's two favorite bands that I listen to. > No, Adam Schlesinger is in Ivy, which is a fantastic band as well, and I am just so excited to see that two of my New Favorite Bands are so interconnected. Which means that Chris Collingwood wrote the song. Or not. I'm not sure which, I can't remember. The blond guy. Help! Man, I wish I could have seen Ivy open for TMBG, that would have been so great... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-177 ******************************