Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-178 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 178 Saturday, 28 June 1997 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: DM TMBG: How did this happen??? TMBG: That Thing you Do/Ivy Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who NON-TMBG: immortality Re: TMBG: That Thing you Do/Ivy TMBG: Elektra Screws TMBG -- film at eleven. TMBG: lyrics vs. music TMBG: Take a bath! TMBG: Gates, was:dj's/Aussie JH/single choices/OAT TMBG: o tannenbaum, NON-TMBG: dead milkmen TMBG: Food! AARRRGHH! Re: TMBG: o tannenbaum, NON-TMBG: dead milkmen TMBG: Giant arcade? TMBG: Star Trek Particle Man referenve Re: TMBG: Giant arcade? TMBG: Reply Grab Bag!! Re: NON-TMBG: FarSide cartoon Re: TMBG: lyrics vs. music TMBG: That Gate Effect TMBG: Gate Effect TMBG: Rubaiyat question Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199706271254.IAA20193@battlezone.rs.itd.umich.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 08:53:48 -0400 From: susan lyon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: DM At 11:39 PM 6/26/97 -0400, SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: [dead milkmen lyrics snipped] >OTHER DEAD MILKMEN FANS!?!?!?! Amongst worshippers of TMBG, no less!!! You >made my day, now you have to sleep in it, hehehe............ Yeah! I was mildly obsessed with the Dead Milkmen way before I got into TMBG. There are probably lots of people who like both bands, since they were both regulars on the Dr. Demento Show. THANK GOD FOR DR. DEMENTO!! susan resisting the urge to quote "The Puking Song" :^) "my baby drives...a truck my baby sure is...good luck my baby has a...pet duck and my baby is a heck of a f...riend" * ------------------------------------- the nicest of the damned mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer * ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:26:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: How did this happen??? OK, to everyone who has a bootleg of the 12/31/89 show they did in New York. It STARTS and ENDS with Space Suit. At least it should. There's a screwed up splice out there somewhere that has stuff from a 6/88 show at the beginning, and the New Year's show chopped at the end. The show is an all acoustic show, and there should be NO TAPE BACKUP. If you have one of the incorrect copies, it would be a good idea to get it fixed before trading it to others. (I've now seen it on at least 5 lists printed incorrectly) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706271553.AA03320@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: That Thing you Do/Ivy Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:53:18 -0400 (EDT) > > I think it was Mike Viola, though one of the Fountains of Wayne guys(Chris > > Collingwood, I believe) is in Ivy, a band which has opened for TMBG. And I'd > > like to officially add FoW to the list of bands which sound sorta kinda like > > TMBG, due their voices(sorta like flans's), the fact that it's only two guys, > > the sheer catchiness, and the similar synth-type sound. FoW, however, have much > > more "conventional" lyrics and a more poppy sound. And by the way, TMBG and FoW > > are about my mom's two favorite bands that I listen to. > > > No, Adam Schlesinger is in Ivy, which is a fantastic band as well, and I > am just so excited to see that two of my New Favorite Bands are so > interconnected. Which means that Chris Collingwood wrote the song. Or > not. I'm not sure which, I can't remember. The blond guy. Help! > Man, I wish I could have seen Ivy open for TMBG, that would have been so > great... I am pretty sure that Mike Viola at least partially wrote the song. He may have been helped by this Chris guy. I believe Ivy opened for TMBG in Philly at the Troc perhaps, but I may be thinking of another show. They seemed to be not bad, but not fantasitc either. It's hard to tell when you have never heard an album and are going into the show green. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706271600.AA03356@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:00:08 -0400 (EDT) > Well, Mr. Matt James seems to be on quite the campain to debunk all of my > theories. :) Just some good natured ribbing, but really, I was just > saying that They could be _like_ Dr. Who, but not necessarily Gallifreyan > due to the fact that They regenerate as children instead of full adults. > And even if they were from Gallefrey, who's to say what regeneration > They're on? Hmmm? Hmmm? Stick that up yer nose and smell it! So what did the Johns do in their past lives, I assume that they have grown up and become children many times, but were they involved in music, or are they a sort of eclectic, renaissance group doing many different things over their many lives? Also, can they be killed like a normal human, as Dr. Who would and are they given an unlimited regenerations, making them gods? Questions to ponder over... /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706271602.AA03363@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: immortality Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:02:07 -0400 (EDT) > > Hi, > > According to Immortal lore, you could not have immortal parents, in > > fact, I think immortals can't have any parents. Immortals are sterile I > > believe, incapable of producing offspring. > > > Well, I don't know. I mean, according to the movies, if we accept them > all to be gospel truth in this matter, Conner (is that right? It's been > a while and names escape me easily), despite being from another planet, > had to have parents. Though not from Earth, of course. And if you go by > the show, where new immortals are popping up all the time, then some > people are just born that way...so I guess it depends on whose opinion > you go by. Ahh they could just evolve, not being born but just popping up from nothingness, or from other organic substances. Sort of like a super-super-super sped up evolution. But since they are a different being entirely it may be a normal process. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:19:01 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: That Thing you Do/Ivy Message-ID: Whoever said there were only 2 members of Fountains of Wayne: there are actually four. I've got coasters to prove it. Jen :9 'Incense, peppermints, a big can of Spam....' --Space Ghost 'The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.' --Douglas Adams ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970627111803.250728e2@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:18:03 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: Elektra Screws TMBG -- film at eleven. >I think calling TMBG funny is sort of closed minded. >Would you call the works of Rene Magrite or Salvador Dali "humorous". Your example is rather, um, one sided. TMBG *are* often humorous -- even a quick reading of the lyrics will reveal that. That's not *all* they do, of course, but it is a strongly ingrained aspect of TMBG's music. >Not that anyone but me even cares, but I'm switchin' to digest Heh. Is that like switching to decaf? >No, it was definitely Mike Viola. Mike Viola was *not* the principal songwriter for TTYD, Adam Schlesinger was -- Mike Viola sang the song. The reason MV was mad was not because of anything to do with writing the song, but because even though his voice is heard singing the song throughout the movie, he only got one tiny line in the credits, far down below "2nd Animal Trainer." >Y'know, I have this funny feeling that, a year from now, we'll look back on >this thread and sob. Hell, I'm sobbing already. >Okay everyone: BE HAPPY AND OPTIMISTIC! Egads, no. I would have to unsub. >I am not disputing that many of their lyrics, if taken separately from the >music, might appear to be dark or strange. But when placed in the context >of the music, they just come across as happy and funny. On first listen. That doesn't change the fact that the lyrics are still talking about dark and disturbing things. I mean, if you look at Dead, it's about a guy going through an existential crisis. Not exactly the most cheerful subject. By ignoring the dichotomy, you're missing a lot, IMHO. >>"Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of >>nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG >Question. Which song is this a quote from? I"ve never heard it before. Rat Patrol. Speaking of which -- what is TMBG's new obsession with genre parodies/homages? I mean, some of them are very nicely done, but. I mean, S-E-X-X-Y, XTCVAA, Reprehensible, Rat Patrol, Counterfeit Faker... I really hope that the rest of the material for _MLS_ isn't in this vein. >It's Elektra's job to promote them, and they've been ignoring the Johns >right shabbily. Not that I support Elektra's decision, but, well, it's the smartest business decision. They can spend next to nothing promoting the album, and sell 100,000 copies based on all the die-hard TMBG fans, or they can spend $500,000 promoting the album and sell maybe 125,000 copies -- not even enough to make back their investment. The vast majority of TMBG fans are converted by word of mouth or other "unofficial" channels, not by promotion, and the vast majority of the fanbase can be relied on to purchase anything TMBG puts out (how many people who already own Truth&Sandwiches and Lincoln bought Then? Hmmm?) thus guaranteeing decent sales for even a commercial bomb. While I understand the frustration with this, it really is the best business strategy for Elektra to use with TMBG. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706271646.AA03417@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: lyrics vs. music Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:46:34 -0400 (EDT) > >I agree with you to a point, but you must admit that Exquisite Dead Guy, > >Dead, Subliminal, Self called nowhere and lots of others have a sense of > >either darkness or other worldliness and are hardly "pop, with a dab of > >polka". Even when they are, the lyrics are often dark (see a previous > >thread for argument about this one) and I think that dark lyrics with poppy > >music mgives a sense of something slightly strange. > > > >Just as I write this I am listening to the quite poppy and happy sounding > >"Turn Around" with the lyrics "turn around, it's a human skull on the > >ground" and "his face which was a paper white mask of evil". TO hear that > >sung happily gave me a strange, uneasyness, not unlike the darkness behind > >the innocent happy exterior in Twin Peaks or other Lynch works. > > I still must disagree. I think that Subliminal is more of a rock song, as is > Self Called Nowhere. Dead still seems like pop to me. I am not disputing > that many of their lyrics, if taken separately from the music, might appear > to be dark or strange. But when placed in the context of the music, they > just come across as happy and funny. I don't find the repeated skull/death > theme to be dark, because it just seems to be a theme insofar as it appears > in the lyrics frequently. This brings up the great, lyrics vs. music debate. Mitch seems to take the songs (or at least TMBG songs) at a stance that the music is the most important thing. Brownie seems to take more of a lyrical stance in his interpretation of the songs. Some try to equally interpret the lyrics and music. I think a good deal of TMBG fans who have really delved into the music see that parodox there often in a lot of their work. A lot of people seem to think this is very ingenious of them (as well as having some wonderful word twists and interesting lyrics in there). A lot of people who have never heard a paarticular band such as TMBG (or any band for that matter) will merely listen to the music and think, that's good or that's bad because of the music. Lyrics often come later, especially when more instrumentation is involved. It's hard to like a song when the music stinks no matter how good the lyrics but bad lyrics to a great tune will often bring in more people. /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9706271652.AA03425@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Take a bath! Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:52:00 -0400 (EDT) > At 04:00 PM 6/25/97 EDT, you wrote: > >Does anyone know how many people are presently on this list? I was > >thinking about that the other day, and this post reminded me about it. > Well let's see.. there's me and you. And the guy who wrote the message you > replied to. That's, > umm.. three. And there's Mike Leffel, and Queen Sneepy, and Matt James, and > Yoel97, and umm > that's 7. There's probably more, but that's a good ballpark number I'd guess. > Where's the guy from Bath, England to give us an update on the highest-posting-people? I think Gottschalk was on top last time, but I havn't seen him in ages. bye, /Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:26:27 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Gates, was:dj's/Aussie JH/single choices/OAT At 10:37 PM -0700 6/26/97, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: >While you're at it, could you also explain exactly what this line (from >Then's liner notes) means? >"[T]he computer acted as a controller for the gate effect on the guitar in >Mister Me and Ana Ng." >What is a gate effect? How can you use a computer to control a guitar? >Where in these two songs should I listen for this gate effect? A gate allows or blocks audio from being transmitted through a channel. In Ana Ng it's the main guitar part, where it chops off abruptly. Normally the guitar strings would sustain after a chord (unless you mute it with your stumming hand). The gate abruptly chops it off. Listening to rest of the disk it seems a similar effect is used on Purple Toupee, in the first part of the verses. In Mr. Me I'm not so sure where it is. There's the tremolo guitar part in the verses and in the final chorus, where the volume fades in and out rapidly. It sounds like this tremolo effect may be itself be gated. Other example of gates: A noise gate cuts off the audio when the amplitude drops below a certain level. This helps knock out background noise in certain situations, while allowing the normal signal through. Another use of a gate is to add reverb only on loud drum sounds - I think Peter Gabriel originally came up with this use. One can also do odd things, like use the sound of a kick drum to control the gating of some other sound. Not sure why they used a computer, except as an experiment, or for more flexibility. Bob Gonsalves, Research Director Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/ work: http:/www.aphasia.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:06:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Philip Christman Subject: TMBG: o tannenbaum, NON-TMBG: dead milkmen Message-ID: de-lurking for a moment: i just ordered a copy of the "o tannenbaum" 7-inch. is this really rare? (if so, i ordered it at www.gemm.com, if that helps) also: let me be the first (well, next) to proclaim my dedication to the late, great dead milkmen! "y'know what, stuart, i LIKE you!" "just me and god/ watching scotty die..." "we'll dress like minnie pearl, just you and me, PUNK ROCK GIRL." if anyone hasn't heard their unique blend of pogo-ready tunes and beavis-and-butthead-meet-kurt-vonnegut-lyrics, *beelzabubba* or *bucky fellini* are great places to start... 'bye phil ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ aS i wALK i tHINK aBOUT a nEW wAY tO wALK --they might be giants, "it's not my birthday" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:16:34 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Food! AARRRGHH! Message-ID: "...after baking stroganoff and countless screaming tater tots..." Sorry. BTW, I'm back on the list. I just couldn't take it anymore! :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, the Washington State Listies page, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:16:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: o tannenbaum, NON-TMBG: dead milkmen Message-ID: On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Philip Christman wrote: > i just ordered a copy of the "o tannenbaum" 7-inch. is this really rare? No, it's not *really* rare. It is somewhat hard to find, but for a long time could be ordered through the TMBG info club. IMHO, it's also not very good. But it's a wonderful novelty item. Kinda like listening to some of the lower-quality tracks at the end of either of the Then discs, but with more scratchiness. I think it's worth the ten bucks or whatever, though, just to have a green vinyl single. :-) The Giant Arcade: opening soon on www.tmbg.org! -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970627113216.00689dc4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:32:19 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Giant arcade? At 02:16 PM 6/27/97 -0400, JonBob wrote: > >The Giant Arcade: opening soon on www.tmbg.org! Hey, what's the word on this? :) Sounds interesting. Any info you can provide? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Star Trek Particle Man referenve Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 27 Jun 1997 14:04:18 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, Don't ask me how I found this, but there is a cute reference to TMBG Particle Man on the following web page, which may be of interest to TMBG/Star Trek Fans: http://www.midwinter.com/~koreth/particles/ Robert Plass Operations Manager and Webmaster Schick Technologies, Inc. 31-00 47th Avenue Long Island City, NY 11101 Direct Line: 718-937-5765 ext.214 FAX: 718-937-5962 Toll Free: 1-888-4-SCHICK Website: http://www.schicktech.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:54:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Giant arcade? Message-ID: On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > >The Giant Arcade: opening soon on www.tmbg.org! > > Hey, what's the word on this? :) Sounds interesting. Any info you can > provide? Well, this will be a new section of the website with games and toys for Giantheads. Features that will for sure be included are Giant Trivia, The Living Flans Doll, and Match the Cover Art. Watch this space for more details... -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970627155248.006e38f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:52:48 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Reply Grab Bag!! I just got through reading the list messages in a SuperEasy FWDed format... all headers intact... fun. >Where's the guy from Bath, England to give us an update on the >highest-posting-people? I think Gottschalk was on top last time, but I >havn't seen him in ages. We should instead make a list of people who *contribute* the most... by which I mean *quality* not *quantity* Umm... what else? ((re: California Dreaming)) Well, 1988 was just too cool to be considered "80s" ... so it's in the 90s (this reminds be of some other thing like this, maybe a compilation of 90's hits, but had some 80s tracks, or was that on a different list?) Whoever pointed out why Elektra seemingly ignores TMBG... good post. However, if they would promote TMBG more the world would be a better place.... and isn't that the goal of every record company? >Yeah, but a "mainstream" person might be ashamed to say "Austin Powers is >the pinnacle of cinematic achievement! It deserves a place next to Citizen >Kane in the hallowed ranks of Great Movies!" >Which is prolly analogous to how "mainstream" people interpret our devotion >to a "novelty band." huh... well... yes. ((re: Genre Jumping!)) Someone said something about Reprehensible/SEXXY/Faker and the rest being examples of TMBG experimenting with other genres... (he said "parody/tribute") Anyhow, I think it is neither an attempt at parody, or to pay homage to the style... Maybe they're just sick of leading the "Rock'n'Roll Lifestyle" heheh... but you can't expect geniuses to be confined to one genre can you? Well. Uhh... that's it, then. -ec yeah. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970627121651.0068d8ac@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:16:56 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: FarSide cartoon >> >Mike "I also have a copy of the FarSide Cartoon on tape!!!!(*)" Leffel >> >> God what a horrible piece of trash. >> - David James Stein > >I thought this was some kind of job out of the mind of Mike Leffel, but >is this really a real cartoon? When was this made? I've only ever seen >the comic strip (or maybe I should say panel). >Thanks. I rather liked the Far Side cartoon; it was very Gary Larson! The alien among the cowboys scene... classic! BTW, I think it's all right to call it a comic strip; it's just a commonly used term to classify the comics usually found in newspapers. The single panel "strips" have also been called "spot gags," "gag panels," "comic panels (or panel comics)," and just plain "cartoons." It's confusing enough, so I think it's safe just to say comic strip (I have a feeling that my more professional cartooning counterpart Mr. Leffel will disagree, but that's my two cents or whatever it's worth). Um... TMBG content: I'm still looking for the place to download the unreleased music from the Factory Showroom sessions... or is this place just a myth in my head? The word "panel" is starting to look and sound funny now, --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:30:48 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199706272130.QAA14938@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: lyrics vs. music >This brings up the great, lyrics vs. music debate. Mitch seems to take >the songs (or at least TMBG songs) at a stance that the music is the most >important thing. Brownie seems to take more of a lyrical stance in his >interpretation of the songs. Some try to equally interpret the lyrics >and music. Oh, I don't think the music is the most important thing. I just think that if you are going to make the case that Their art is dark and otherworldly, you cannot simply look at the lyrics, you need musical evidence as well. Mitch ------------------------------ From: MegaMind0@aol.com Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 00:14:37 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970628001437_1310553938@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: That Gate Effect >What is a gate effect? How can you use a computer to control a guitar? >Where in these two songs should I listen for this gate effect? I'm not entirely sure (this is what I decided after comparing the two songs) but I'm almost positive that the "gate" is -- forgive, I'm *terrible* at explaining things -- like 'bursts' of the guitar between 'bursts' of silence, really, really fast. It's a sort of "wadda-wadda-wadda-wadda" sound, like 'tonguing' a wind or reed instrument, if *that* means anything (it didn't to me a few months ago but my girlfriend's a flutist). It's audible in Ana Ng during the chorus and there's a repeated section of Mr Me with a gated, fading guitar which I think comes right after "once a boy named Mr Me bemoaned a great regret (wadda-wadda-wadda)" and the other lines that correspond to it... --Bernie Who sent two posts a few days ago (one a BEAUTIFUL spiralling shape interp) and never saw them again :( Who is also a Dead Milkmen fan, and a fan of many other strange and wonderful things. ------------------------------ From: MegaMind0@aol.com Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 00:16:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970628001624_1445439316@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Gate Effect >What is a gate effect? How can you use a computer to control a guitar? >Where in these two songs should I listen for this gate effect? I'm not entirely sure (this is what I decided after comparing the two songs) but I'm almost positive that the "gate" is -- forgive, I'm *terrible* at explaining things -- like 'bursts' of the guitar between 'bursts' of silence, really, really fast. It's a sort of "wadda-wadda-wadda-wadda" sound, like 'tonguing' a wind or reed instrument, if *that* means anything (it didn't to me a few months ago but my girlfriend's a flutist). It's audible in Ana Ng during the chorus and there's a repeated section of Mr Me with a gated, fading guitar which I think comes right after "once a boy named Mr Me bemoaned a great regret (wadda-wadda-wadda)" and the other lines that correspond to it... --Bernie Who sent two posts a few days ago (one a BEAUTIFUL spiralling shape interp) and never saw them again :( Who is also a Dead Milkmen fan, and a fan of many other strange and wonderful things. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970627223458.0068aabc@awod.com> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:35:00 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Rubaiyat question I have a question about TMBG and the Rubaiyat... I know they covered One More Parade, but I heard they were originally planning to cover a Queen song. Sorry if this has been asked before, but which Queen song were they planning to cover? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-178 ******************************