Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-179 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 179 Sunday, 29 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: My web page!! TMBG: Buh-Bye Re: TMBG: Rubaiyat question TMBG: New Mono Puff on Download-a-Song! FW: semi-TMBG: fountains of wayne TMBG: Gated drums &c. TMBG: TMBG : that whole dead milkmen thing, and Jeopardy again!! TMBG: Tryptophane Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 23:24:05 -0700 Subject: TMBG: My web page!! Message-ID: <19970628.003622.11966.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Hi! Guess what. I finnally have my own web page. Come see it at: http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/index.html. Let me know of any suggestions you have. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 08:48:00 -0500 From: "Big.Bad.Robbie.G." Subject: TMBG: Buh-Bye Message-Id: This message serves two puposes. 1. A test to make sure I'm off. 2. A good bye. I'm going to camp, and won't be back for 7 weeks. See you all around. Rob Grabill. "I feel like a quote out of context" -Ben Folds Five ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199706281328.JAA12344@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rubaiyat question Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 09:24:39 -0400 >I have a question about TMBG and the Rubaiyat... I know they covered One >More Parade, but I heard they were originally planning to cover a Queen >song. Sorry if this has been asked before, but which Queen song were they >planning to cover? In an interview I have, they said Elektra originally asked them to to We Will Rock You, but They felt there was nothing they could add to the song. I think the song ended up being done by somebody else though. harlan ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: New Mono Puff on Download-a-Song! Message-ID: <19970628.093446.5751.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 12:41:53 EDT Hello there you people you, Check out the new unreleased Mono Puff tune "Hillbilly Drummer Girl," now available for your downloading and listening pleasure on the Download-a-Song service. You can find Do-a-S at: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN Check in every week or so for a new Do-a-S on the page. Larry "Blood turns from blue into red 'Cause of oxygen that it's fed. But I turn back to blue 'Cause I'm losin' you." - Steven Page http://members.aol.com/GaritRN - All my bootlegs =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) Larry ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 29 Jun 1997 03:51:52 +1000 Message-ID: <000F89C6.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: FW: semi-TMBG: fountains of wayne (sorry if this is a repeat post, my email is dodgy here at work) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- >> Who wrote the title song from that movie? Was it Mike Viola of the Candy >> Butchers (also of various TMBG relation...) or was it the guy from >> Fountains of Wayne? >I think it was Mike Viola, though one of the Fountains of Wayne guys(Chris >Collingwood, I believe) is in Ivy, a band which has opened for TMBG. And I'd >like to officially add FoW to the list of bands which sound sorta kinda like >TMBG, due their voices(sorta like flans's), the fact that it's only two guys, >the sheer catchiness, and the similar synth-type sound. FoW, however, have much >more "conventional" lyrics and a more poppy sound. And by the way, TMBG and >FoW are about my mom's two favorite bands that I listen to. Well in an interview with Chris Collingwood played on Radio JJJ here in Australia he not only said that he was the one who wrote the song but he either got an Oscar or was nominated for one for it and it's role in the movie. So somewhere along the line it looks like someone's lying Andrew C - do wap wa do ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970628132648.2ef7f84a@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:26:48 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: Gated drums &c. >Another use of a gate is to add reverb only on loud drum sounds - I think >Peter Gabriel originally came up with this use. I believe it was Phil Collins; certainly, the gated drum sound is associated with his solo stuff, while Peter Gabriel never uses it. Gated drums have a rather "big" sound; rather than getting the more natural sound of a drum, you get only the loudest part. >However, if they would promote TMBG more the world would be a better >place.... and isn't that the goal of every record company? Sherwood Records -- "We rob from the rich artists and give to the poor artists!" >Anyhow, I think it is neither an attempt at parody, or to pay homage to the >style... Maybe they're just sick of leading the "Rock'n'Roll Lifestyle" >heheh... but you can't expect geniuses to be confined to one genre can you? Well, my point is that, for the most part (things like the Famous Polka nonwithstanding) when TMBG used different genres in their earlier career, the song itself was still the focus, with the "genre" sound only being a backdrop. S-E-X-X-Y, Counterfeit Faker, Rat Patrol, etc. don't have much substance beyond the initial "Whoa, cool, that sounds like !" Certainly the lyrics aren't anything special. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:56:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970628165655_645275039@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG : that whole dead milkmen thing, and Jeopardy again!! >"We went to the Pizza Company / and we ordered some hot tea / the >waitress said 'No / we only have it iced,' / so we jumped up on the >table / and shouted 'Anarchy!' / then someone played a Beach Boys song >/ on the jukebox /it was "California Dreamin'" / so we started >screaming / on such a winter's day....." >Dead Milkmen, "Punk Rock Girl" ok, so I'm not one of those crazy dead milkmen fans, but i heard Bitchin' Camaro on the radio last week...I would be really into this song except the only words I know are "Bitchin' Camaro!" so naturally I was listening to the lyrics this time. You can guess what leaped into my head immediately after I heard the line "Bitchin' Camaro! Bitchin' Camaro! Donuts on your lawn!" in other news, I was watching Jeopardy a couple of days ago and the great coincidence reared its head once again...US Presidents was a category, but alas there were no James K. Polk questions. -But- there was a whole category on mammals and, yes, I got a question right because of the song. I forget what it was exactly...blah blah blah placentals blah blah extinction. Said I, "Monotremes!...no! Marsupials!" and there was much rejoicing. I swear, one of the people who writes those questions must be into TMBG. moose their cousin called Mono Puff, dead uncle Hello-theria ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 17:16:48 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Tryptophane Message-ID: <19970628.171840.9422.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Does anyone know HTML? I want to put Tryptophane on my webpage, but don't know the code. Any help you could provide would be... quite... helpful. Thanks! Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/index.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-179 ******************************