Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-180 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 180 Monday, 30 June 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: non-tmbg: da da da song. NON-TMBG: Helloooo... (echo echo echo) TMBG: DA DA DA SONG TMBG: Wa-hooooooo! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-179 semi-TMBG: Yazbek / Pop Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped TMBG: I have a question TMBG:85 Radio Special Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 00:28:04 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706290628.AAA20338@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: da da da song. Okay, so this is the wrong place to ask this, but I don't know anywhere else to post it. Does anyone have any information on that Voltswagon "da da da" german song? I want to get a CD or tape copy of it, but I don't know anything about it. Don't reply to the list if you can avoid it. Thanx. Dave Simpson LotharCo ..countless screaming tater tots.. ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 29 Jun 1997 23:36:15 +1000 Message-ID: <000F8AE6.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: NON-TMBG: Helloooo... (echo echo echo) Um, sorry to do this, but is there anyone out there? The list and digest have been real quiet lately... Andrew ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 11:58:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970629115807_-326919856@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: DA DA DA SONG The song is called "Da Da Da' by the German band "Trio" off teh album "Error" from 1982. Mercury Records is releasing that album, now that the song is so popular again under the new name-what else? "Da Da Da" TmbgManiac (aka Cowtown Doorman) http://www/geocities.com/broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B6DB6E.3F0@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 15:02:22 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Wa-hooooooo! I'm back and ready to post!!! I'll start with the _third_ TMBG dream I had... It was kinda weird. I had no clue where I was, just some screwy place. It was great for a concert hall... and, of course, They were playing a concert there. I was chatting with the Johns, and for some reason Linnell was being a total jerk. He was disgusted with my fan-dom, and made a big point of how obsessed I was and how I needed to get a life. It sucked. Flans was nice, though, but we didn't chat all that much... the wierdest part about it, though, was that while I was chatting with the Johns, they were up on stage playing a concert simultaneously. They mainly played John Henry stuff... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199706292326.QAA10072@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 18:26:49 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-179 There is a phone number in the C.D. Lincoln. I am a "newby" ,very confused ,but I am selfless,cold and composed (-Ben Folds Five). Jamie Lincoln Kitman 201.886.8416 "Used to be different,now you're the same"-They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: StereoPuff@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:00:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970629230041_102584358@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: semi-TMBG: Yazbek / Pop Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: >Yazbek is not a band, but actually the name of the artist. His most recent >album is "The Laughing Man"... he has an e-mail address, though I can't >remember it offhand. Actually, I figured Mike Wood would fill us in on this >one... okay, here I am! =) Yes, Yazbek, or "David" Yazbek as he is sometimes known, has one album out on What Are Records... it's an absolutely delicious collection of pop gems that'll keep you coming back for more. VERY clever wordplay... IMHO, one of the absolute greatest & catchiest albums of 1996. A must-have for any TMBG/XTC fan! =) yes, he has an email address (different than the one listed in the album, i believe) although he seems to be too busy/lazy to respond lately... =p which I suppose is okay since HE CERTAINLY LIKES TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS A LOT, and I don't like it when musicians electronically shout at me! =} ooh, a cute little mouse just scurried across the floor! =D Nancy McGrath wrote: >And finally, the obligatory TMBG content: Sean and Yazbek were (along with >their pal Billy Straus) co-producers of the "Carmen Sandiego: Out of this >World" album, on which TMBG's song "Why Does the Sun Shine?" appeared. Yazbek also produced the XTC tribute album, on which TMBG's cover of 25 O'Clock appeared... plus the first Carmen Sandiego album, which features Brian Dewan singing a Yazbek-written song... Dewan also did the cover lettering on Yazbek's album. and what lovely lettering it is! =) I wrote: >>(They were originally going to cover "This Is Pop?" but didn't). To which JHB replied: >Oh, damn. I think that would have been quite a bit cooler than 25 O'Clock, >if for no other reason than it would have *forced* TMBG to do a rather >different take on the song... i know... Flans said that This Is Pop was "too difficult...". wellthen, why not try it... POLKA-STYLE??? that song is just *screaming* to be played on an accordion... heck, maybe Weird Al could at least do a version someday... "What do you call that drink Such fizzy fun This is pop" =) Mike Wood --------- "all of us take Omnibus!" - XTC ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:01:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970629230144_40123555@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped In a message dated 6/29/97 6:06:32 AM, you wrote: >>> Who wrote the title song from that movie? Was it Mike Viola of the Candy >>> Butchers (also of various TMBG relation...) or was it the guy from >>> Fountains of Wayne? >>I think it was Mike Viola, though one of the Fountains of Wayne guys(Chris >>Collingwood, I believe) is in Ivy, a band which has opened for TMBG. ... >Well in an interview with Chris Collingwood played on Radio JJJ here in >Australia he not only said that he was the one who wrote the song but he >either got an Oscar or was nominated for one for it and it's role in the >movie. So somewhere along the line it looks like someone's lying Yes, someone *is* lying. Once and for all, folks! MIKE VIOLA wrote *and* performed *and* sang "That Thing You Do". MIKE VIOLA MIKE VIOLA MIKE VIOLA!!!!! Aaaaaaaargh! OK, sorry. There was an extensive article about it in the Washington Post many months ago, which I clipped and saved and which my mother promptly threw out. Fortunately, I had already posted the entire article (and a goodly amount of time it took to type it, too) to this very list. Of course, nobody took any notice of it at the time. Nobody ever listens to me... sigh... nobody loves me! Anyway, at the risk of messing up some minor facts because I don't have the article, I will relate a summary of the story: There was a song-writing contest for TTYD to find an appropriate early-60s-poppy-sounding song for the movie. Hundreds entered. Mike Viola won. He was overjoyed, because he figured this wound mean some free publicity, which he desperately needed at the time because his group's first album was coming out soon. (Of course, Mr. Viola was not expected to forsee that Blue Thumb records would subsequently go belly-up and leave him without releasing the album, to this very day, causing the annoyance of several billion Candy Butchers fans the world over. Well, at least me. But that is neither here nor there) Anyway, Mike's version of the song was tweaked by, oh, maybe one note or something by this snotty Adam Slesinger or whatever his name is. This version of the song was re-recorded in some nicer facility by Mike and this was the one used in the film. About 80,000,000,000 times (which you know if you've seen the film. I will never get that damn song out of my brain now). Can you guess how much credit Mike gets for writing, performing, and singing this wonderful ditty? Oh, you *are* a smart little cynical nineties person! That's right, NOTHING! Well, okay, one credit. But if "Additional Vocals: Mike Viola" in tiny print below, like, the catering service in the credits is not nothing, I don't know what is. Also you probably could not buy a cup of coffee with what he got paid, if you catch my drift. Most people, geniuses that they are, actually think the actors in the movie are singing and playing the song. Wrong! (If you have ever heard Mr. Viola's distinctive voice, it's obvious it's him. Also the actor singing takes breaths in the wrong places. Etc.) And so, Mike Viola wrote and performed an Oscar-nominated (!!!) song for a major hit movie (without which, the movie's premise would have been lost) and got basically no credit and no compensation for it. Mike now toils in relative obscurity, with no released album and (one assumes) very little chance of becoming the big fat rock star he deserves to be. This is life, kiddies. Be afraid... be very afraid. --Christy ------------------------------ From: Gish145@aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:09:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970629230904_136359633@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I have a question I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, or what? ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:54:36 -0400 Subject: TMBG:85 Radio Special Message-ID: <19970629.235436.4414.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> I was listening to the '85 Radio Special Thank You on Then:TEY. In the background, I can hear that the same message is played quietly, about a second ahead of the more audible message. Does the delay between the two messages fluctuate? Also, did they just speed up and slow down the recording to achieve that funky/psycho effect? Thanks for your patience, The new, improved, quieter David Hutch ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-180 ******************************