Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-181 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 181 Tuesday, 1 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dream- Long Post Re: TMBG: I have a question NON-TMBG: the Da Da Da song by Trio semi-TMBG: Australians in Sydney area? Re: TMBG: I have a question TMBG: another message which will vanish Re: TMBG: I have a question TMBG: Re:YAZBEK Re: TMBG:85 Radio Special TMBG: question about trib tape Re: TMBG: I have a question Re: TMBG: I have a question Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped TMBG: mysterious Lincoln phone numbers! TMBG: Turn Around TMBG: TMBG/Mono Puff for sale Re: TMBG: TMBG/Mono Puff for sale Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970630230331.00690cb4@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:03:31 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: TMBG: Dream- Long Post I have entered the "I've had a TMBG dream" club My dream started with a group of us playing a trick for a TV show on a guy, where we paint bomb a boat that he wanted repainting. The trick never happenned but after a conversation with the guy we worked out he was Flans. He was older, with shaved grey hair and ratty denim clothes. He invited us to a concert they were playing in a park later. Before the concert we were invited to play with the band. Everyone picked up instruments and I sat down at a keyboard but Linnell turned up and said it was his (Linnell was younger with blonde hair). I was led into a back room by this model like woman and invited to choose an instrument. I chose a coffee machine made into a harp. On my way out of a room I noticed all these sticks with wooden doll's heads on them in a bucket. We started playing, but two songs in realised we hadn't openned the curtains. When we openned the curtains there were only a few people listening, sitting on the grass. Make of it what you will... Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970630230918.00740238@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:09:18 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: TMBG: I have a question At 11:09 PM 6/29/97 -0400, Gish145@aol.com wrote: >I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about >life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, >or what? I assume you mean Exquisite Dead Guy. I thought it was just about a corpse that got around alot... Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 684-4722 Date: Mon, 30 Jun 97 09:34:25 MDT Message-Id: <9706301534.AA08857@hops> Subject: NON-TMBG: the Da Da Da song by Trio The Da Da Da song by Trio Dr. Demento played this song last night on his syndicated radio show. I, as usual, taped the entire show. Russ Josephson ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:19:41 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: semi-TMBG: Australians in Sydney area? Message-ID: Hi! Anyone live in or near Sydney? I'm hoping to go on a trip to that area with some marching band people next summer (end of June/beginning of July), and I thought it might be cool to meet some other TMBG fans at the other end of the world! Um, I do have an ulterior motive here, too...We're planning on doing some homestays and stuff...and if anyone might share some living space for any amount of time within the two weeks (I think) that we'll be there, that would be awesome! Wouldn't it? Don't you think? Wouldn't you like to host me and/or maybe one or two other They fans? Yes? Even if you don't have room for me or any of my friends, let me know if you want to get together or anything. It is a whole year away, but I'm planning already. Email me if you're interested! :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970630133308.00692220@email.uc.edu> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:36:55 +0100 From: "%^)" Subject: Re: TMBG: I have a question >At 11:09 PM 6/29/97 -0400, Gish145@aol.com wrote: >>I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about >>life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, >>or what? > >I assume you mean Exquisite Dead Guy. I thought it was just about a corpse >that got around alot... > Could Exquisite Dead Guy, by this particular interpretation (dead guy getting around a lot), be a reference to the novel As I Lay Dying by Faulkner? Heather Garver University of Cincinnati garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey Headquarters) ------------------------------ From: MegaMind0@aol.com Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:39:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970630133936_-1643134278@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: another message which will vanish In a message dated 97-06-30 02:11:25 EDT, you write: << Also, did they just speed up and slow down the recording to achieve that funky/psycho effect? >> I think it was done on a reel-to-reel tape, which you can speed and slow by hand... I did a similar effect in a media class last semester. I don't really know any other way to do it, if I'm wrong someone tell me so. --Bernie, who has now had THREE messages vanish!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970630120305.007a1810@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:03:07 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: I have a question At 11:09 PM 30/06/97 +1000, you wrote: >>I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about >>life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, >>or what? > >I assume you mean Exquisite Dead Guy. I thought it was just about a corpse >that got around alot... Whenever I hear the "rotating in his display case" line, I can't help but think of Lenin's tomb. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B8053A.3818@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:13:02 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:YAZBEK > Yes, Yazbek, or "David" Yazbek as he is sometimes known, >has one album out on What Are Records... it's an absolutely delicious >collection of pop gems that'll keep you coming back for more. VERY clever >wordplay... IMHO, one of the absolute greatest & catchiest albums of1996. A must-have for any TMBG/XTC fan! =) I just got Yazbek's "Laughing Man" CD this weekeend and I definately reccomended it. This is coming from someone who is very picky about the other bands that are often brought up here. (I'm not too impressed with Ben Folds, Squirrel NZ, Moxy Fruvous) You can hear a some Yazbek at www.yazbek.com . Also read his bio. Its very funny and interesting. -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970630153711.006d6790@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:37:11 -0400 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG:85 Radio Special tmbgdhutch@juno.com wrote: >Also, did they just speed up and slow down the recording to achieve that >funky/psycho effect? They simply loaded the file into their handy-dandy sound editor, and compressed/expanded the waveform to meet their goals! (remembers that this was from *The Eighties*) Or they sped up/slowed down the tape... just like the "Talking" Ninja Turtles action figures, in which you had to pull the cord *really* fast or it just sounded like nothing... unless I had the thing in upside-down the whole time... -ec ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:08:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: question about trib tape Message-ID: Hey all-- Bill Tatalovich here, still at home in Ohio trying to enjoy the summer. And I'm still not on the list. I just figured I'd post in order to ask a question. Does anyone know the current status of We Might be Giants, Too? I'm kind of curious to see if it is ever going to see the light of day. Could someone with information about it please e-mail me privately? I obviously can't read messages posted to the list. Thanks a lot. See all of you back on the list in August.... And for those of you who haven't looked yet, my web page about the TMBG list survey is up at: http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html Leo still isn't giving me any press about this, so I guess I have to plug it myself. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I'm an island of such great complexity..." --Pavement ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B8133A.7DC5@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:12:42 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: I have a question David Bryan wrote: > > At 11:09 PM 30/06/97 +1000, you wrote: > > >>I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about > >>life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, > >>or what? > > > >I assume you mean Exquisite Dead Guy. I thought it was just about a corpse > >that got around alot... > > Whenever I hear the "rotating in his display case" line, I can't help but > think of Lenin's tomb. > > -- > Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, > and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. > http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ I heard it was based on a game called "The Exquisite Corpse" in which you make up a sentence, one word at a time with different people. Idunno how it's played. BTW, I'm trying to snag an interview with onee o' the Johns. What should I ask? BESIDES the lyrics to Become A Robot? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:15:09 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199706302115.PAA03089@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: I have a question At 11:09 PM 6/29/97 -0400, you wrote: >I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about >life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, >or what? Probably life after death. However, it would help if we knew exactly what song you were referring to. Dave Simpson LotharCo A subgroup of "stuff" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:21:14 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who Message-ID: On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Matthew James wrote: > So what did the Johns do in their past lives, I assume that they have > grown up and become children many times, but were they involved in > music, or are they a sort of eclectic, renaissance group doing many > different things over their many lives? Also, can they be killed like a > normal human, as Dr. Who would and are they given an unlimited > regenerations, making them gods? > Questions to ponder over... > I can't believe that we're all still discussing this... :) My personal theory is that music is something new that they've picked up, or maybe decided to do as a career. But I think it's one reason that JL knows so many instruments- he's had a long time to learn them, along with furniture making and engravings...as far as life span goes, however, I don't know. They are enigmas, and it is not for us to question, I suppose. Gods? Maybe. But this all leads me to ask what Flans has been doing all this time. Why is it we've found evidence of Linnells in history, but no Flansburghs? I think it is definitely something to look out for. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:31:51 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped Message-ID: On Sun, 29 Jun 1997 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > Yes, someone *is* lying. > > And so, Mike Viola wrote and performed an Oscar-nominated (!!!) song for a > major hit movie (without which, the movie's premise would have been lost) and > got basically no credit and no compensation for it. Mike now toils in > relative obscurity, with no released album and (one assumes) very little > chance of becoming the big fat rock star he deserves to be. This is life, > kiddies. Be afraid... be very afraid. > I heard the song for the first time this week end, and I was listening carefully, and it sounded like Adam Schlesinger to me. I guess I just don't understand why there wasn't any more investigation into the incident- why didn't Mike Viola raise a bigger stink about the theft of his song? How can AS get all of the credit if MV so obviously wrote and sang the song? I mean, if all of this was true, why hasn't MV tried to sue AS or the movie and get his credit and money for the song? I guess this is why I find this story to be so hard to believe... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970630153834.00714a20@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:38:41 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: mysterious Lincoln phone numbers! >I have a question. Do you think that the song on factory showroom is about >life after death, or people living on with you in your heart after they die, >or what? Um... specifically, which FS song? There are 14 of them, and some of them have nothing to do with death. Perhaps you mean Exquisite Dead Guy? The Johns characterize that one as a song of admiration for a departed hero, which I think is about right. I think it's about a guy who goes to pay his last respects to a person he admired in life, and later finds himself haunted by the image of the corpse. >Also, did they just speed up and slow down the recording to achieve that >funky/psycho effect? Dunno. My sister and I, when we were quite small, spent many a happy hour experimenting with a friend's cheap synth. It had a little microphone, and if you spoke into it and simultaneously tweaked a little knob, your voice would come out distorted and psycho sounding. That's what I thought of when I heard 85 Radio Special Thank You for the first time, anyway. >Um, sorry to do this, but is there anyone out there? The list and digest >have been real quiet lately... Yeah, I've noticed. Our membership always drops during the summer, although the size of yesterday's digest was perhaps a bit extreme. There's only one cure for the disappearing digest blues, folks--post! Let's hear your groovy interps, thoughts on TMBG-related conspiracy theories, etc. >There is a phone number in the C.D. Lincoln. I am a "newby" ,very >confused ,but I am selfless,cold and composed (-Ben Folds Five). >Jamie Lincoln Kitman 201.886.8416 *nicole pulls out her copy of Lincoln* Why, so there is. It's the phone number of Jamie Kitman, TMBG's very own Manager of Steel. If you ever win the lottery and decide that you want to organize a TMBG concert as part of your (chose one) bar mitzvah/high school prom/wedding/birthday party, you might try giving Mr. Kitman a call. And if he says yes, put me down for a ticket. :) (unrelated but interesting side note--a friend of mine very nearly got Skankin' Pickle to play at our junior prom. They're a local band for us, and my friend was Junior Class President, so we thought we had a shot. They said yes, and everyone was happy until a week before the prom, when they cancelled unexpectedly. They wanted more $. :( Such are the vagaries of the music world.) There are several phone numbers in Lincoln, in fact. But the only really interesting one, to us, is (718) 387-6962. I urge you to call it if you haven't already done so. >Fortunately, I had already posted the entire article (and a goodly >amount of time it took to type it, too) to this very list. Of course, nobody >took any notice of it at the time. Nobody ever listens to me... sigh... >nobody loves me! There, there, Christy, *I* love you. *hug* And I do remember that article, and I remain angered at the forces that conspire to keep the Candy Butchers out of their richly deserved limelight. What's the skinny on the OMLTs? --nicole the wonder nerd had a marginally TMBG-related dream last night... I dreamed that I was riding a motorcycle *extremely fast* on the freeway, when it started to fall apart. So to calm myself down, I sang Ana Ng to myself. *** "Circumstances eat themselves. The present tense has been."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:54:12 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: Turn Around Message-ID: I was at my cousin's bat mitzvah in Chicago this weekend, and during the service the cantor sang this song called "Turn Around." Naturally, I had to supress the urge to laugh, because I was trying to imaging a. what this song was really like, and b. what it would be like if it was the song I thought it was. But it wasn't TMBG, but a song that did sound quite a bit like it, much to my surprise. The chorus, though different, went something like this, "Turn around, you're born. Turn around, you're walking..." Those aren't really the words , but you get the picture. What I'm asking is, has anyone heard this song before and can see what I mean? When she started to sing the chorus, all I could hear was "Turn around, there's a human skull on the ground..." Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html I'm NOT judgmental. I ACCEPT that we're all different -- some of us are just a little TALLER than others." -Craig Kilborn. And oh, how true that is. ------------------------------ From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 01:10:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970701011035_-24775644@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG/Mono Puff for sale I'm willing to sell my They Might Be Giants Hats shirt and brand new Mono Puff - Devil Went Down to Newport 2-song vinyl ep including Pretty Fly by Sister Puff (Flans wife, Robin). They will go to the highest biders. nick ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 01:20:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970701012655.296783dc@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG/Mono Puff for sale Hi Nick >I'm willing to sell my They Might Be Giants Hats shirt and brand new Mono >Puff - Devil Went Down to Newport 2-song vinyl ep including Pretty Fly by >Sister Puff (Flans wife, Robin). They will go to the highest biders. Are you only accepting money, or would you be willing to trade? I'm interested in the 2 song vinyl ep, and would be willing to trade several TMBG bootlegs for this item. My bootlist is at http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/tmbg/tmbgxxx.html If you are interested, please let me know. Thanks Alex ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-181 ******************************