Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-182 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 182 Wednesday, 2 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH Re: A.M.TMBG: Sigh. Please don't hurt me... Re: TMBG:85 Radio Special TMBG: Exquisite corpse TMBG: Re: Yazbek & Friends TMBG: I have another thought. TMBG: video bootleg 2.5 TMBG: That Thing You Do redux Re: TMBG: I have another thought. Re: TMBG: video bootleg 2.5 TMBG: bootleg 2.5? Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH Re: TMBG: I have another thought. TMBG: Fingertips Interp Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped Re: TMBG: question about trib tape Non-TMBG: Candy Butchers CD TMBG: Make way, make way... TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back, it's good to be back.. TMBG: NON:TMBG Candy Butchers Re: TMBG: I have another thought. TMBG: Coke Ad...excuse my ignorance Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:22:52 -0700 Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH Message-ID: <19970701.002735.15046.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Flansy probably just needs his guitar. You know, that high e-string on the guitar is really thin. I'll bet that would cut like a razorblade. All the rest of the strings are pretty nasty too. And the neck makes a real good handle for swing the body around. I don't know about Linnel though. Accordians are pretty heavy. Josh Nielsen On 30 Jun 1997 22:22:45 GMT rurymj@aol.com (Rurymj) writes: >In a battle to the death, what weapons would the John's use to bump >off >the other? > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:27:20 -0700 Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: Sigh. Please don't hurt me... Message-ID: <19970701.002735.15046.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) The seed was planted from the infamous Tiny Toons episode. It wasn't until the 8th grade that I even knew it was Them. I missed a day of school, and while I was gone, they played WDTSS for science class. I had been looking forward to listening to it for weeks. So I ordered Flood from Columbia House (they don't tell you what songs are on there). I loved it and have bought every CD I saw since then. The weird part is, the day I got Flood, that episode of Tiny Toons was on (insert Twilight Zone theme here). Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 01:22:27 +0100 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG:85 Radio Special >I was listening to the '85 Radio Special Thank You on Then:TEY. >In the background, I can hear that the same message is played quietly, >about a second ahead of the more audible message. Does the delay between >the two messages fluctuate? >Also, did they just speed up and slow down the recording to achieve that >funky/psycho effect? > Here's my take on the above questions. Analog tapes are susceptible to a phenomena known as "print through". Magnetism from one layer of tape will, over time, affect adjacent layers of tape. You hear this even on records from the 60's. Professionals know that you're supposed to store tapes "tails out", that it, wound backwards on the reel, so that any print through occurs after the sound and is not as perceivable. Since this was early in Their career, They Might have not know that. Having said that, the ghost sound you hear seems awfully loud, in comparison to most examples of this problem that I've heard, so maybe there's some deliberate processing they're doing. Now, the pitch warping was probably done in real time using a delay line of some sort. You can't get tape motors to change speed that rapidly (and if you did the tape would just spill off the reels and create an awful mess). What happens is that the signal is read into the memory of the device (it could be digital memory or analog memory ('bucket brigade'), doesn't matter) and then read the samples out at a rate different from the input rate. The clock that controls this process can be altered by some other signal. Evan's suggestion that it was done in a computer is reasonable, but not too likely. The Mac was released in Jan. 84, the MacRecorder input device maybe a year later. BUT, there were no audio applications capable of altering the pitch at that time. But maybe they had access to some audio workstation like a Fairlight or Synclavier (if they existed then, I don't recall). I've been designing (and performing with) weirdo electronic music instruments for almost quarter of a century now, no joke. I've got hours and hours of similar experiments. I've placed a similar snippet, from 1979 (not a typo) on my Web site at http://www.pinknoiz.com/funstuff/warpsounds.html Bob Gonsalves, Research Director Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com/ work: http:/www.aphasia.com/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9707011250.AA13630@comet.msd.measurex.com> Subject: TMBG: Exquisite corpse Date: Tue, 1 Jul 97 8:50:35 EDT From: John Pletikapich I have done a little looking around on the web to see if I could learn more about the "Exquisite Corpse" idea. From what I gather, the game was started by several surrealist artists in the early part of the century. It was played kinda like this: Fold a page into quarters lengthwise (so it might fit into a envelope). If you were drawing a human body, the first player could draw a head and neck on the first quarter of the page then fold over his work to hide it from the next player. From only the lines he saw on the crease of the fold, the second player would continue with the body, filling the second quarter of the page, then hiding the first two quarters of the drawing to the third player. Continued until all four panels were drawn in. Then the page was flattened and the corpse was revealed to all. Different sites had slightly different versions of the game. E.g., how much you conceptually knew about the previous work. I.e., he drew a head - or - he drew part of a human - or - he wouldn't tell you anything at all. That visual game was adapted into a verbal game. One writer could begin a story with a sentence. The second would continue with a second sentence. The third writer continued with a third sentence without reading the first sentence. The fourth writer could not read the first of second sentences, but read the third line and continued from there. Again, I'm sure there are different versions: words, phrases or paragraphs. Hope this helps. -- john.pletikapich@hmx.honeywell.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:30:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Nancy McGrath Subject: TMBG: Re: Yazbek & Friends Message-Id: In tmbg-list Digest #3-181, Bongo said: > I just got Yazbek's "Laughing Man" CD this weekeend and I > definately reccomended it. This is coming from someone who is very picky > about the other bands that are often brought up here. (I'm not too > impressed with Ben Folds, Squirrel NZ, Moxy Fruvous) > You can hear a some Yazbek at www.yazbek.com . Also read his bio. Its > very funny and interesting. > If you enjoy Yazbek, then let me once again recommend Sean Altman to you. He and Yazbek have known each other and collaborated musically since high school, and are cut from very much the same cloth. Sean's web site is at www.bigsean.com, and his new album, seanDEMOnium, can be ordered from the Primarily A Cappella catalog at www.singers.com. Nancy McGrath ------------------------------ From: Gish145@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:04:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970701100426_-159021766@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I have another thought. Do you think that the song called New York City on Factory Showroom is about accepting people for who they are, not believing stereotypes, or none of the above? -Gish145@aol.com (Ryan Harter) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 10:49:53 -0600 (CST) From: beelersj@SLU.EDU Subject: TMBG: video bootleg 2.5 Message-id: Has anyone ordered the video bootleg 2.5 from Adam Merrifield and, if so, did you get it? Adam, if you're still on the list, you cashed my check over a month ago, and I want my video! sara ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970701100422.2d8760dc@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 10:04:22 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: That Thing You Do redux >I heard the song for the first time this week end, and I was listening >carefully, and it sounded like Adam Schlesinger to me. I guess I just >don't understand why there wasn't any more investigation into the >incident- why didn't Mike Viola raise a bigger stink about the theft of >his song? How can AS get all of the credit if MV so obviously wrote and >sang the song? I mean, if all of this was true, why hasn't MV tried to >sue AS or the movie and get his credit and money for the song? I guess >this is why I find this story to be so hard to believe... The songwriting has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Mike Viola wrote the song, with Adam Schlesinger helping out slightly and getting the co-writing credit. No problems yet -- this is SOP for a large movie like this, I believe. Mike gets paid normally for his song, as well. The problem that Mike's complaining about is that, even though he is heard singing the song throughout the movie, his name only appears as "Additional vocals: Mike Viola," below the animal trainers and all that crap. As for a "stink," Mike *did* go on several TV shows, talking about how he sang the song etc. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:15:41 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: I have another thought. Message-ID: On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 Gish145@aol.com wrote: > Do you think that the song called New York City on Factory Showroom is about > accepting people for who they are, not believing stereotypes, or none of the > above? I think it's about three Canadian chicks wanting to go back to New York after they visited for the first time. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:32:23 +0100 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: video bootleg 2.5 >Has anyone ordered the video bootleg 2.5 from Adam Merrifield and, if so, >did you get it? Adam, if you're still on the list, you cashed my check >over a month ago, and I want my video! For those who contemplated obtaining this, but haven't acted yet, you can also obtain the video from me, on the same terms as Russ Josephson's vols. 1 and 2, to wit: > >Just send me $6.50 for US/Canada, $8 Mexico, $10 other countries. >That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage. > >This is for regular tape. Add $2 for "hi-grade" tapes. What's "hi-grade"? >For TDK it means HG instead of STD. >For Maxell it means HGX-Gold instead of GX-Silver. >For Kodak it means Extra-Highgrade instead of Highgrade. >For Scotch it means PHG instead of HS. > I ship via UPS. Please indicate if this is a problem when you send in your order. Bob Gonsalves c/o LingraphiCARE 3600 W. Bayshore Rd., suite 202 Palo Alto, CA 94303 ------------------------------ From: gmn7y@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 13:37:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199707011737.NAA13342@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu> Subject: TMBG: bootleg 2.5? What is this about the video bootleg 2.5? I want more info. What is it, how do I get it, etc? Greg ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 12:16:55 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707011816.MAA21825@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: dr. who At 05:21 PM 6/30/97 -0500, you wrote: >suppose. Gods? Maybe. But this all leads me to ask what Flans has been >doing all this time. Why is it we've found evidence of Linnells in >history, but no Flansburghs? I think it is definitely something to look >out for. Why can't he use a pseudonym? I mean there have been plenty of Johns, right? Perhaps Flansy just changes his name every couple decades or so. Dave Simpson LotharCo Never trust a doctor with plumbers crack ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 12:21:00 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707011821.MAA19931@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH At 12:22 AM 7/1/97 -0700, you wrote: > Flansy probably just needs his guitar. You know, that high e-string on >the guitar is really thin. I'll bet that would cut like a razorblade. >All the rest of the strings are pretty nasty too. And the neck makes a >real good handle for swing the body around. I don't know about Linnel >though. Accordians are pretty heavy. >Josh Nielsen Why would our Immortal Ambassadors of Love try to bump each other off? Dave Simpson LotharCo Vagueness: it's in there ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 12:26:55 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707011826.MAA23591@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: I have another thought. At 10:04 AM 7/1/97 -0400, you wrote: >Do you think that the song called New York City on Factory Showroom is about >accepting people for who they are, not believing stereotypes, or none of the >above? I don't think it's about any of the above. It always seemed to me to be a simple love song about both a girl and a city the singer loves. That's the thing about this not being written by Them, there's no case of the "irony" that is so prevaliant in their other works. It's very straightforward, and the only line that could be considered "ironical" is "everyone's your friend in New York City" because they're not. So that's my take on it anyway. Dave Simpson LotharCo ..everyone's your friend.. at Lo-thar-Co.. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B983B1.3F24@ici.net> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 15:24:49 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: TMBG: Fingertips Interp Has anyone read the fingertips interp on tmbg.org? what do you think of it? i cant decide whether the woman that wrote it is right on target or a looney. -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:17:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970701161540_357058983@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped >I heard the song for the first time this week end, and I was listening >carefully, and it sounded like Adam Schlesinger to me. I guess I just >don't understand why there wasn't any more investigation into the >incident- why didn't Mike Viola raise a bigger stink about the theft of >his song? How can AS get all of the credit if MV so obviously wrote and >sang the song? I mean, if all of this was true, why hasn't MV tried to >sue AS or the movie and get his credit and money for the song? I guess >this is why I find this story to be so hard to believe... Evidently there was something in the contract he signed that prevents any retaliation. As I said, I lost the article, so I don't remember. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 13:19:11 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: question about trib tape Message-ID: On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > And for those of you who haven't looked yet, my web page about the TMBG > list survey is up at: > http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html I love this survey page. Especially the map. Everyone should check it out. :) -Lani O:) Acting Vice President in Charge of Plugging Web Sites, Association of They Fans from Schools named "Washington" lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707012150.RAA17869@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 97 17:54:11 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: Non-TMBG: Candy Butchers CD Hey all... I first heard Mike Viola and friends at their opening thing for TMBG at Irving Plaza (NYC) earlier this year. Needless to say, I became hooked. I've seen them at The Knitting Factory in the meantime, and will see 'em soon during the big 'fest... Anyway, I work at a Borders Books & Music in NJ (not the worst little job for a college English major... Nice discount on textbooks and such). We get tons of promo CDs and books, most of which end up home with the staff. A few months ago, I shrieked with joy when I saw, sitting there quietly, "Live At La Bonbonniere" by the Candy Butchers. It's an EP on Blue Thumb, and is said to contain songs from "the forthcoming CD 'Candy Butchers' (BTD-7008)." Here's the track listing: 1. Bells On A Leper 2. California Girl 3. Cupid Complained To Venus 4. Till You Die 5. Canned Hunt It's become one of my favorite CDs. It is in the Borders ordering system, at least, so try to get it! I think it's distributed by Universal Distro. They deserve to be huge. I wonder what's holding up the full-length. Anyone know? tompooheadbucket. ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B99C8D.174C5AA4@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 17:11:15 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Make way, make way... There's something coming. There's a new webpage on the horizon. It's coming rather quickly. It makes a noise. It has John and John painted all over it. With a new kind of look, brighter, but with a unique premise. Yet, one of these Johns is not prepared to have a good time. He stands alone, away from the other one. He's your kind of John. Now the time has come to climb on to that web page and play the accordian of destiny. No... no! http://geocities.com/sunsetstrip/6476/ is not the Hall of Heads. It is not posing as another dreary, annoying tmbg page, trying to lure web users into seeing sites they've already seen. No! Listen to the sound of this page. Open up your big blue web browsers. And make way, make way for A World That Swings! Remember kids, it used to be the Hall of Heads, but now it's A World That Swings... http://geocities.com/sunsetstrip/6476/ -- Fools rush in, so here I am. --The Mamas and the Papas -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 1 Jul 97 18:32 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: hello, hello, it's good to be back, it's good to be back.. Hey party people! It's wondrous to be back here on the list after two weeks absence. I missed you guys *so* much! ;) Anything earthshaking happen in the world of the Giants while I was gone? I had a blast at Tech, learning lots about writing and myself. I didn't really meet any Giantheads, unless you count the guy who yelled "Spi-DAH!" from across the table when I wore my TMBG t-shirt. My buddy Gabe from Grand Rapids saw them when they were at Calvin, but that was largely to please his TMBG-loving friend. He says the concert was much happier than what he was used to - no people getting trampled or beat up. Just wanted to let y'all know I'm back, so you can stop gossiping about me now. ;) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC864D.7E9F3CA0@pm1-7.rmaonline.net> From: Tim Clark Subject: TMBG: NON:TMBG Candy Butchers Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:35:03 -0400 In case anyone wants to download That Thing You Do it's available at http://www.thatthingyoudo.com (I think thats the URL) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33B9DBAF.4C56@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 21:40:15 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: I have another thought. Gish145@aol.com wrote: > > Do you think that the song called New York City on Factory Showroom is about > accepting people for who they are, not believing stereotypes, or none of the > above? > -Gish145@aol.com (Ryan Harter) Idunno... I always thought it was just like the lyrics said... the guy and the girl who lived far apart... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970702045052.0067f7bc@fyi.net> Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 00:50:52 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Coke Ad...excuse my ignorance Hello, long time no post...I was just wondering..I know there was discussion about the Coca-Cola ad that TMBG apparantly did. Well a friend of mine on IRC (EFnet IRC #TMBG) hehehe...said that TMBG definitely did the ad and he is looking for a copy of it...so I was wondering if anybody had a copy available...either in mp3 format or on tape...I have stuff to trade I guess...if people have already dealt with this...forgive me...I have not been reading the list much lately.....thanx! Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-182 ******************************