Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-184 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 184 Friday, 4 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: a botomless pit of randomness TMBG: TMBG and Coke? Re: TMBG: NYC song on Factory Showroom TMBG: TMBG and Coke TMBG: wow... lots of stuff Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH TMBG: Winplay Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 18:49:32 -0600 Subject: TMBG: a botomless pit of randomness Message-ID: <19970702.185130.14414.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) okay, i've been reeeeely busy so i haven;t been able to read about the last 10 days worth of digests but as far as the whole OMLC goes, there was no where near enough of a response for us to even attempt this feat. "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG to whoever asked my quote (which i must now change) is from rat patrol oh yeah, to anyone that i am in the process of trading with, please forgive me for not getting back to you guys yet... aaah, I got to chill with steve, parry, and charlie from NERF HERDER for about 45 minutes last weekend!! =) definately kewlio cuz they don't run away from their fans like a certain group i know.... hell, these guys even gave me the room number to their hotel and the key, but then they snatched the key back! =) "Count the arms, the legs and heads and then divide by five" ---TMBG "Time is standing still with all this time to kill" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707031250.IAA21299@angel.heaven.net> From: "Cyberguy" Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Coke? Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:50:33 -0400 I'm sorry, but I haven't been on the list for a while and I don't listen to the radio. Now I hear that TMBG were in a Coke commercial? Ughh, i missed it. What did they do? ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:03:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: NYC song on Factory Showroom Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Jul-97 TMBG: NYC song on Factory S.. by Matt Thebert@psc.state.g > The song is about 3 girls and their trip to NYC, but they weren't > Canadian, they are from Atlanta, and for the life of me, I can't > remember the name of the group, but they were touring with Them last > fall. no, they're Canadian. the group is cub and they're from Vancouver, BC. and unfortunately they broke up in May (exactly 5 years after they formed) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707031408.AA07199@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Coke Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:08:52 -0400 (EDT) > I'm sorry, but I haven't been on the list for a while and I don't listen > to the radio. Now I hear that TMBG were in a Coke commercial? Ughh, i > missed it. What did they do? they sang on the radio. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:13:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: wow... lots of stuff firstly, it's good to be bac and have normal internet access.... got really backlogged on list messages... secondly, I have figured out the point and meaning of the song "Older." for those of you who have listened to the studio version, you all must have noticed that the entire song, except for the guitar, is synthesized (often rather cheesily - like the bass horn in the intro, and the synth in the instrumental bridge). what's tis significance? the band is getting older than it's ever been, and they're recording a song the way they did 10 years ago. the only musicians performing on it are John & John. also, listen to the instrumental part of Cowtown some time - in concert, Flans plays the heavy electric guitar part while Linnell plays the background on the accordion. on the CD, it appears that the "accordion" part is replaced by the names of the notes being sung. really strange. whee. being on a bus for 8 hours can do thhat - I was concentrating waaaaay too hard on the songs. :) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707031854.AA07314@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:54:40 -0400 (EDT) > > Yes, someone *is* lying. > > > > And so, Mike Viola wrote and performed an Oscar-nominated (!!!) song for a > > major hit movie (without which, the movie's premise would have been lost) and > > got basically no credit and no compensation for it. Mike now toils in > > relative obscurity, with no released album and (one assumes) very little > > chance of becoming the big fat rock star he deserves to be. This is life, > > kiddies. Be afraid... be very afraid. > > > I heard the song for the first time this week end, and I was listening > carefully, and it sounded like Adam Schlesinger to me. I guess I just > don't understand why there wasn't any more investigation into the > incident- why didn't Mike Viola raise a bigger stink about the theft of > his song? How can AS get all of the credit if MV so obviously wrote and > sang the song? I mean, if all of this was true, why hasn't MV tried to > sue AS or the movie and get his credit and money for the song? I guess > this is why I find this story to be so hard to believe... It seemed as if Mike Viola didn't care as much as most of us would think he would. You see, I heard an interview with him by some DJ on a nationally syndicated show. These DJs actually found Mike Viola's phone number and called him out of the blue. They asked him just this, "Why don't you raise a big stink about it?" they said (in so many words...) He just didn't seem all that bothered by it, maybe he got enough money and didn't care all that much? They went on to ask him why he doesn't write songs like this one that he had written, and he said it was a 60s song, not exactly his style. He said that the song was written specifically for this movie, but it wasn't what he'd normally do. I think he thought the DJs cared more than he did (or so it seemed from the interview). Now, I'm not saying that Adam or Chris may not have put in a little help in producing or writing it perhaps, but he didn't say. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 11:36:24 -0700 Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH Message-ID: <19970701.163209.15838.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Of course They wouldn't want to bump each other off. I was just imagining if both Johns suddenly went completely insane (which is not possible), what they would use. Josh Nielsen On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 12:21:00 -0600 (MDT) Dave Simpson writes: >At 12:22 AM 7/1/97 -0700, you wrote: >> Flansy probably just needs his guitar. You know, that high e-string >on >>the guitar is really thin. I'll bet that would cut like a >razorblade. >>All the rest of the strings are pretty nasty too. And the neck makes >a >>real good handle for swing the body around. I don't know about Linnel >>though. Accordians are pretty heavy. >>Josh Nielsen >Why would our Immortal Ambassadors of Love try to bump each other off? > >Dave Simpson > > LotharCo > Vagueness: it's in there > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 17:05:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the DEATH Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Jul-97 Re: A.M.TMBG: battle to the.. by Joshua D Nielsen@juno.co > Of course They wouldn't want to bump each other off. I was just > imagining if both Johns suddenly went completely insane (which is not > possible), what they would use. it kind of reminds me of my song parody They Might Be vs. Mono Puff... if anyone wants it, email me personally and I'll send it to you, instead of cluttering up the mailing list with it. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Winplay Message-ID: <19970701.202744.2823.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 20:26:33 EDT I was messing around in Winplay today (every body download Aneurysm from Blamo's website!!!!!) and clicked on this little button next to the digital numbers and up came a box with the track number and complete filename then there were four blank boxes for Title-Artist-Composer-and Author... when I clicked inside these boxes nothing happened.. it would be cool to enter this info... does anyone know how??? Another Q- is the falsetto singing that How Can I Sing... is about from She Was A Hotel Detective (Back to Skull) or (She Was a) Hotel Detective (Pink Album)? If it is the former (BTS) then They must have done that in concert.. does anyone have a bootleg with this on it? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Hell Hotel Interesting Fact - Tim sings "She's doesn't care about expensive things....." pretty much like in the song... BONUS FACT!!!!-Tim is 16 today! (July 1) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707032339.SAA02637@dfw-ix9.ix.netcom.com> From: "Mike Bobbick" Subject: Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 19:37:48 -0700 ---------- > From: Matthew James > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: Quasi-TMBG: Mike Viola got gyped > Date: Thursday, July 03, 1997 11:54 AM > > > > Yes, someone *is* lying. > > > > > > And so, Mike Viola wrote and performed an Oscar-nominated (!!!) song for a > > > major hit movie (without which, the movie's premise would have been lost) and > > > got basically no credit and no compensation for it. Mike now toils in > > > relative obscurity, with no released album and (one assumes) very little > > > chance of becoming the big fat rock star he deserves to be. This is life, > > > kiddies. Be afraid... be very afraid. > > > > > I heard the song for the first time this week end, and I was listening > > carefully, and it sounded like Adam Schlesinger to me. I guess I just > > don't understand why there wasn't any more investigation into the > > incident- why didn't Mike Viola raise a bigger stink about the theft of > > his song? How can AS get all of the credit if MV so obviously wrote and > > sang the song? I mean, if all of this was true, why hasn't MV tried to > > sue AS or the movie and get his credit and money for the song? I guess > > this is why I find this story to be so hard to believe... > > It seemed as if Mike Viola didn't care as much as most of us would think > he would. You see, I heard an interview with him by some DJ on a > nationally syndicated show. These DJs actually found Mike Viola's phone > number and called him out of the blue. They asked him just this, > "Why don't you raise a big stink about it?" they said (in so many > words...) > He just didn't seem all that bothered by it, maybe he got enough money > and didn't care all that much? > They went on to ask him why he doesn't write songs like this one that he > had written, and he said it was a 60s song, not exactly his style. He > said that the song was written specifically for this movie, but it > wasn't what he'd normally do. I think he thought the DJs cared more > than he did (or so it seemed from the interview). Now, I'm not saying > that Adam or Chris may not have put in a little help in producing or > writing it perhaps, but he didn't say. > Matt > > -- > Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu > Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com Yeah, Don and Mike (From the Don & Mike show) called him up I think. It was very interesting. When the called him back a few weeks later, it turned out he changed him number. What a loser :-P Mike mikeman4@ix.netcom.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-184 ******************************