Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 185 Saturday, 5 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Little boxes Re: TMBG: NYC song on Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: Little boxes TMBG: Linnell's crush TMBG: Where did all the people go? Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush TMBG: anything but tmbg: YAZBEK, mike viola etc (im bored) TMBG: Linnell'-Flansburgh's crush TMBG: QUESTIONS Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970703232316.006db368@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 23:25:28 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Little boxes >the band is >getting older than it's ever been, and they're recording a song the way >they did 10 years ago. the only musicians performing on it are John & >John. Hmm.. interesting! Vewwwy interesting! :) But if it was really in the style of TMBG ten years ago, wouldn't it have had Flans on backup vocals in the counterpoint part? That's Linnell on a second track, which they didn't often do (AFAIK) ten years ago. >I was messing around in Winplay today (every body download Aneurysm from >Blamo's website!!!!!) and clicked on this little button next to the >digital numbers and up came a box with the track number and complete >filename then there were four blank boxes for Title-Artist-Composer-and >Author... when I clicked inside these boxes nothing happened.. it would >be cool to enter this info... does anyone know how??? What be Aneurysm? A new TMBG song? Speak! :) AFAIK, barring extreme hacker prowess, those boxes can't be filled in from your end. The person who creates the file has the option of filling them in, for (I think) copyright purposes. --nicole the wonder nerd could we please stop the Battle to the Death thread? It's blasphemous! :) *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 09:33:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970704093312_1622422781@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: NYC song on Factory Showroom In a message dated 7/4/97 9:14:16 AM, you wrote: >The name of the band that you saw open for TMBG and sing w/Them is Cub >and they are from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. They wrote it in >1995, I believe, and Flans did not even know Cub nor did Cub know Flans >when they wrote the song so there's no way they could have had Flans in >mind. Well, I had to say something about cub eventually. The song "New York City" was on come out come out which was released in 1994. I would agree that there's almost no way that they could have had Flans in mind when they wrote it. I mean, sure it's a nice romantic notion, but entirely implausible, nonetheless. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 10:02:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Little boxes Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Jul-97 TMBG: Little boxes by Nicole the W. Nerd@tmbg. > Hmm.. interesting! Vewwwy interesting! :) > But if it was really in the style of TMBG ten years ago, wouldn't it have > had Flans on backup vocals in the counterpoint part? That's Linnell on a > second track, which they didn't often do (AFAIK) ten years ago. well, maybe not 10 years ago, but keep in mind that they only started recording songs with a full band in 1994. many of the tracks on Flood and Apollo 18 have Linnell doing multiple simultaneous vocals (Birdhouse, Dead, Statue, Turn Around....) but youu're right - I can't think of any from the first two albums where he did that. ------------------------------ From: SOLFLARE1@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 10:33:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970704103342_680153808@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell's crush Hey, everybody. There's something I've been wondering about. Has anyone other than me noticed a theme going through a few songs sung by Linnell, something to do with a girl at a copying store. I can allude to two such places from two different songs: Snowball In Hell:"/side effect or drugtrail/my fantasy is in a xerox shop/" Slepping In The Flowers:"/I got a crush/copy shop clerk/" I don't know, maybe I'm just being over suspicious. I was just wondering if anyone else picked this up. ". . . life's just a mood ring we're not allowed to see . . ." - THEY ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 08:59:23 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Where did all the people go? Message-ID: <19970704.085944.9870.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Okay, so i left for like 10 days and now there is no one on the list...what happened to mike leffel..he could fill up an entire digest. anyways... what;s the deal with the OMLT.. any word on that from teh shoe-goddess? oh yeah, i'm gonna write to Coke and see if they'll send me a copy of the commercial so that should be all kewlio. "count the arms, the legs and heads and then divide by five" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 10:28:56 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush Message-ID: That's "my panacea's in a xerox shop" But it still supports your point. Brandon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33BD436B.A0F39A75@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 11:39:39 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush > Has anyone > other than me noticed a theme going through a few songs sung by Linnell, > something to do with a girl at a copying store. I can allude to two such > places from two different songs: > > Snowball In Hell:"/side effect or drugtrail/my fantasy is in a xerox shop/" > > Slepping In The Flowers:"/I got a crush/copy shop clerk/" > Yeah! I noticed this too. I dont think anyone has asked about it anything, maybe this should be one of those back-burner interview questoions. Or possibly, maybe its an allusion to the earlier song, since one is on Henry and one is on Lincoln.... I dunno. Hrmmmm... But I thought both of those songs were flansalian? Treatably- Kevin -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 13:01:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970704130104_303598732@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush In a message dated 97-07-04 10:38:07 EDT, SOLFLARE1@aol.com writes: << Hey, everybody. There's something I've been wondering about. Has anyone other than me noticed a theme going through a few songs sung by Linnell, something to do with a girl at a copying store. I can allude to two such places from two different songs: Snowball In Hell:"/side effect or drugtrail/my fantasy is in a xerox shop/" Slepping In The Flowers:"/I got a crush/copy shop clerk/" >> Um........FLANSBURGH sings these songs. AnnA ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 15:16:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970704151649_1893126029@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: anything but tmbg: YAZBEK, mike viola etc (im bored) i was told you kids had been discusing yazbek so i just figured i'd put in a good word for him- he's a GOD! his album The Laughing Man is one of the best ever and its got a cool devil on the cover (as well as lettering by one of my other favorite human beings.) hmm speaking of, if your not convinced by the raves here check out his song The Violin (in ".au" format) with none other than the ilustrious Brian Dewan at http://members.aol.com/Ievitateme/sound.html i'd rather see him than tmbg any day. oh, the website is hideously incomplete and stuff so i dunno, Whatever. ignore the part addressed to me. nar also a chance to interogate mike V himself is coming up as the candy butchers are playing fez as part of the intel music fest. anyone in nyc should go cuz fez is swank and funny and you can hear the subway go by. if u need more details email me i saw a subject about strange phone numbers- try 401-751-2981, Mundanes management think they'll play at my prom? ;p wooh, im gonna go shoot tourists with bottle rockets now ~liz "its SUPPOSED to sound like a broken telephone"- eric sanko ------------------------------ From: SOLFLARE1@aol.com Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 15:34:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970704153428_1545283545@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell'-Flansburgh's crush Alas, I stand corrected. I thought they were both Linnell songs, but I guess not. Three people have told me that they're Flans songs. Anway, the point remains the same . . . . . . . ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970704210654.00695b18@map.com> Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 21:06:54 -0400 From: Nancy and Russell Potter Subject: TMBG: QUESTIONS Sorry to ask again, but could anybody tell me what happened to Brian, and Eric? Also, are there any ways to reach any of the band. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-185 ******************************