Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-186 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 186 Sunday, 6 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 TMBG: absolutely nothing Re: TMBG: absolutely nothing TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? TMBG: TMBG Fan Chart Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 TMBG: copies of these songs... TMBG: I Might Be Giants Too on Download a Song Re: TMBG: Coke Ad...excuse my ignorance Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush TMBG: The World's Address Meaning Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? TMBG: I palindrome I TMBG: Aneurism TMBG: Dial A Song Re: TMBG: Re: "John Henry, how is it?" TMBG: Re: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! Re: TMBG: The World's Address Meaning Re: TMBG: absolutely nothing Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970705062625.2bd78236@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 06:26:25 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 > Slepping In The Flowers:"/I got a crush/copy shop clerk/" > Snowball In Hell:"/side effect or drugtrail/my fantasy is in a xerox shop/" It's "side effect of drug trip" (gee, wonder what Linnell was *doing* when he wrote this and Nightgown...) and we've never been able to decide whether it's "my fantasy is in..." or "my panacea's in..." And yeah, we've discussed it before, although not much has come out of it beyond "Yeah. Oblique two song reference. Yeah." /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 07:40:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705074022_-1326839536@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: absolutely nothing >FLANS: "Coca-Cola! It's better than COFFEE!!!" ahhh yes.... Um. No.:) >> Has anyone > other than me noticed a theme >going through a few songs sung by Linnell, > >something to do with a girl at a copying store. >I can allude to two such > places from two >different songs: > > Snowball In Hell:"/side >effect or drugtrail/my fantasy is in a xerox >shop/" > > Slepping In The Flowers:"/I got a >crush/copy shop clerk/" > *snip* >But I thought both of those songs were >flansalian? They are. >Sorry to ask again, but could anybody tell me >what happened to Brian, and Eric? Brian, I don't think anyone knows, and I haven't heard of the whereabouts of Eric since he went on that december vacation to hawaii . Hey what is with this list? like 60% of everyone either disappeared (I've had concerts and things to attend to.. 8)) or just hasn't been posting (I had over a week's worth of digests sitting on my computer)....?? Maybe that sounds hypocritical, but nearly _everyone_?? And the posts I've seen lately ha ven't been quite... well, let's just say I'm expecting to see a 'hey-did-you-know-there's-a-hidden-track-of-their-new-cd-that i-forgot-the-name-of' post. I mean, really.. sarah http://lava.ml.org ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 10:10:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705101010_-1192377145@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: absolutely nothing >Hey what is with this list? like 60% of everyone either disappeared (I've had >concerts and things to attend to.. 8)) or just hasn't been posting Its summer time, people are on vactions, celebrating the 4th of July, starting their summer jobs. Or if you'll like me, you've been going to a movie almost everyday. ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 10:51:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705105121_-1058451069@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? From what I gather, the song "What Bothers the Spaceman" is about the future life of an astronaut back on Earth after their big moment of glory in outer space. "I'm sure he could smile for us", "Wave to the people". It sounds like all that's left for them is to smile and wave while trying unsucessfully to bask in the glow of their previous accomplishments. Anyone agree? But beyond that, was there anyone involved in the space program named "Mr. Ellis" or "Mr. Lee"? ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:19:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705111928_816909296@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? >From what I gather, the song "What Bothers the Spaceman" is about the future >life of an astronaut back on Earth after their big moment of glory in outer >space. >But beyond that, was there anyone involved in the space program named "Mr. >Ellis" or "Mr. Lee"? The song is about the Boston Red Sox pitcher Bill "Spaceman" Lee. "Doc" Ellis is the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter on LSD TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ From: EmpireJoe@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:39:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705113946_-1260281969@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Fan Chart Hello Fans, I am making a TMBG fan chart on my web page and I would like you, if you can to send me your picture. All picture will be posted in the page with your e-mail address below. No real names will be used. This is in hopes to connect TMBG fans from across the country/world. TmbgManiac http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 Fan Chart Page http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824/atfan.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707051545.KAA07375@dfw-ix1.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 08:43:14 -0700 Yes. Doc Ellis of the Pittsburgh Pirates no-hit the San Diego Padres in 1970 while on LSD, he admits to it... I don't know if he was the only pitcher to do this because I doubt you can get every player to admit what drugs they've done... Bill "Spaceman" Lee was just a really odd cookie as a pitcher, he loved to talk to himself and do all kinds of wierd things on the mound. ---------- | From: TmbgManiac@aol.com | To: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com; tmbg-list@tmbg.org | Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? | Date: Saturday, July 05, 1997 8:19 AM | | >From what I gather, the song "What Bothers the Spaceman" is about the future | >life of an astronaut back on Earth after their big moment of glory in outer | >space. | >But beyond that, was there anyone involved in the space program named "Mr. | >Ellis" or "Mr. Lee"? | | The song is about the Boston Red Sox pitcher Bill "Spaceman" Lee. "Doc" | Ellis is the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter on LSD | | TmbgManiac | http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707051628.JAA00267@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:28:50 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 Could someone with "John Henry" tell me how it is.I am not suposed to write any one-line messages,so now it is two lines.. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:26:23 -0600 Subject: TMBG: copies of these songs... Message-ID: <19970705.112633.11838.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) hey, does anyone out there have copies of the following songs: --->living doll --->mario speaks --->Maybe i know --->summer breeze Please e-mail me if you do!! =) (TMBgirl@juno.com) "Count the arms, the legs and heads and then divide by five" ---TMBG "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 14:18:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705141802_-192167214@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I Might Be Giants Too on Download a Song Hey there Junebugs, Check out this week's Download a Song: "I Might Be Giants Too." Much better quality than the old Dial-a-Song. Don't ask me who sings it. I don't know. Download-a-Song is at: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN See you there! Larry ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 12:16:48 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707051816.MAA14192@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Coke Ad...excuse my ignorance At 12:46 AM 7/2/97 -0700, you wrote: >Yes, PLEASE, if anyone has this on tape or anything, let us know how we >might hear it. I've just been waiting and wondering if anyone would ever >record it...wondering how I could live a full and happy life having only >heard half of the TMBG Coke commercial... Please help! On an interesting note: I had a They dream last night. It was really kind of wierd (which makes it a They dream, I guess! =) I was watching TV, and this commercial came on. It was for Coca-Cola, and the DLS promo version from Then was playing. Only it was more polished and finished and didn't have all that grunting in the beginning. The whole thing took place inside of a gas station I think, but then the camera went outside and I saw Flans floating upwards in the air, holding a strip of carpet. He was ripping it or something. Then Linnell came in flying some sort of helicopter that I think was supporting Flans. It was pretty interesting, and after the "commercial" I thought about posting to the list that there was a Coke ad on TV with Them. But it was only a dream. Dave Simpson LotharCo Hasn't scratched yet! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 12:30:09 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707051830.MAA13559@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's crush At 10:33 AM 7/4/97 -0400, you wrote: > Snowball In Hell:"/side effect or drugtrail/my fantasy is in a xerox shop/" I don't remember that second line appearing at all in Snowball in Hell. Dave Simpson LotharCo No, I'm SURE there's a fax in Finland! ------------------------------ From: SOLFLARE1@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 15:04:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705150454_-1360816956@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: The World's Address Meaning I know this is probably old news, but I just figured it out: The World's Address -> The World's A Dress!!! ("a place that's worn . . .", "a sad pun . . .", "under every garment . . . . ") Please let me know if this was brought up before, but for everyone who didn't know it, THE WORLD'S A DRESS! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 12:07:41 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff - What Bothers The Spaceman? Message-ID: On Sat, 5 Jul 1997 TmbgManiac@aol.com wrote: > >From what I gather, the song "What Bothers the Spaceman" is about the future > >life of an astronaut back on Earth after their big moment of glory in outer > >space. > > The song is about the Boston Red Sox pitcher Bill "Spaceman" Lee. "Doc" > Ellis is the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter on LSD I know that this is what the song is about, but it always makes me think of evolution. "Walk past the trees he used to swing from." As a modern human, he can walk upright now, but his prehistoric ancestors swung from trees. "What bothers the spaceman? . . . What's left for him now?" The spaceman has been there & done that: He's evolved from some apelike critter and after millenia of invention and new abilities, has finally even managed to travel into space...So what more IS there to do? The lines "The teeth in his head", "I'm sure he could smile for us", and "walk past the trees" make me think of You'll Miss Me: "You'll see my teeth in the stars above, every tree a finger of my glove, and every time push comes to shove, you'll see my teeth in the stars above." But of course, Flansy himself says: "This song is not based on any personal experience with baseball great Bill "Spaceman" Lee, who I quite accidentally met at a TV show right after writing this song. Lee, back in the seventies had a couple of great, controversial seasons with the very conservative Boston Red Sox. When Lee made a couple of appearances on local rock radio stations at the time, he lived up to his name with a very odd "lost philosopher"-style that made a lasting impression on me." blah blah blah, -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Madcup1@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 15:16:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705151607_174709226@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I palindrome I Does anyone know the Lyrics for "I Palindrome I" NOT THE ONE ON APOLLO 18, BUT THE ONE ON THE POWER OH DAS. I palindrome I, Mr. 5th of July, one door shuts the other door closes..... - Jeff ------------------------------ From: Madcup1@aol.com Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 17:10:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970705171044_-1092315632@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Aneurism In a message dated 97-07-05 02:08:14 EDT, you write: << What be Aneurysm? A new TMBG song? Speak! :) >> it is a live performance of ana ng. it is somehow different and Really cool. -Jeff ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dial A Song Message-ID: <19970705.172653.9615.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 17:35:28 EDT Could some one please tell me the address of download-a-song? Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33BEEFCB.4CD1983F@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 18:07:35 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: "John Henry, how is it?" expo67@webtv.net wrote: > Could someone with "John Henry" tell me how it is.I am not suposed to > write any one-line messages,so now it is two lines.. As many of you probably know, I am about the worst possible person to reply to such a message, so I open the floor to someone who worships John Henry like the sacrificial lamb that wouldn't die after this message is through. John Hnry, from the outset, was about the most fundamentally different TMBG record ever. In many ways this difference was a bit more like the mainstream than previous TMBG records and was regarded by many as a sell out. This however, is not the case a John Henry sticks largely to the TMBG style and is still largely on the outer fringes of big time pop music. JH is, however, a very bulky TMBG album. With about an hour of music, JH clocks in as the longest (Then: is a compilation) album to date. This, coupled with songs that aren't as trimmed and well crafted as songs on previous albums, leaves the listener with an only partially enjoyable experience. Certain songs on John Henry such as Spy and Meet James Ensor have some of the brillance that is TMBG, but leave one wondering what happened to the other 18 tracks. All in all, John Henry is more worthwhile than Factory Showroom, or the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, but that isn't saying much. John Henry: if you're a fan of the band like members of this list ought to be, buy this album, otherwise, eh... -- Fools rush in, so here I am. --The Mamas and the Papas -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 21:48:36 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <33BEF974.1847@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! Evan Chakroff wrote: > Someone [1] should creat an all-encompassing SUPERFAQ on TMBG, >including all of the Early Years FAQ, the FAQ, and TMBG.ORG How about a UFAQ? That is, unfrequently asked questions. I don't know if it's just me, but I couldn't stand reading another Q&A that goes "We met in highschool... it's about a birdhouse...it was the name of a movie" The UFAQ would have stuff like info about their wives, their ages, perhaps the stuff about hidden tracks and backwards messages could be moved there (it really does take forever to wade through the FAQ and get to them) anything else people can think of. What do you think? -Mismi ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 21:11:53 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707060311.VAA30711@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: The World's Address Meaning At 03:04 PM 7/5/97 -0400, you wrote: >Please let me know if this was brought up before, but for everyone who didn't >know it, THE WORLD'S A DRESS! Quite a sad pun (1) isn't it? (1) it reflects a sadder mess, after all. Dave Simpson LotharCo Who do you think you are, using those tricky illusions and stuff? ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199707060544.AAA12421@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: absolutely nothing Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 00:44:12 -0500 (EST) Sarah writes: > > I don't think anyone knows, and I haven't heard of the whereabouts of > Eric since he went on that december vacation to hawaii . > Where have all the Erics gone? I saw that Paula Cole cowboy song video the other day, and the guitar player looked an awful lot like Mr. Schermerhorn... They only showed his face right at the beginning, though. Does anyone have the CD (to check liner notes)? m@t ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-186 ******************************