Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-187 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 187 Monday, 7 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Download a Song address TMBG: If you like TMBG then try... TMBG: John Henry TMBG: speaking of bands we like... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 TMBG: Re: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! TMBG: John Henry TMBG: Articles TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-186 TMBG: Here comes article #1! TMBG: Here comes article #1! TMBG: Article #2 Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: Video 2.5 list Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: EFnet IRC #TMBG home page Re: TMBG: Here comes article #1! TMBG: Copy Shop Clerk TMBG: chords TMBG: I PAL I (DAS) TMBG: I messed up TMBG: John Henry TMBG: List Survey Re: TMBG: Here comes article #1! Re: TMBG: List Survey TMBG: I am not evil TMBG: I'm ba-ack! Re: TMBG: I am not evil Re: TMBG: If you like TMBG then try... Re: TMBG: List Survey Re: TMBG: John Henry Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GaritRN@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 03:11:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706031107_-492137640@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Download a Song address For those who missed it, here is the Download a Song URL: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN This week's Download-a-Song is "I Might Be Giants Too," not sung by Brian Dewan or Joshua Fried.... Larry ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33BF460B.46C4@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 00:15:34 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: If you like TMBG then try... >From: GoodOmenz@aol.com >i was told you kids had been discusing yazbek so i just figured i'd put in a >good word for him- he's a GOD! his album The Laughing Man is one of the >best >ever and its got a cool devil on the cover >nar I think it was I who brought who started this recent discussion on Yazbek a few weeks a ago and I just want to agree with the above poster that this guy is worth checking out. In my opinion, he's not a tenth as great as TMBG but is nonetheless very satisfying. His lyrics are very clever yet they are not "wacky". I think a lot of TMBG fans would be pleased with his work....and I don't say that about everyone. Many of the other bands that are mentioned here such as Squirrel Nut Zippers, Soul Coughing, Moxy Fruvous, The Refreshments, The Bobs, Cub ... and so on don't impress me. But Mr. Yazbek does. His tunes are catchy and addictive. Check him out "risk-free" at www. yazbek.com While we are on the subject of other bands let me say a few things. Of the bands often mentioned here, the ones that I *do* like are XTC and The Candy Butchers. (Does anyone out their know if they released anything besides the live CD and if they are planning on on doing a full album soon?) I'd also like to let you know about another band I recently discovered called .... ..... .... ..... *** Papas Fritas *** No, they aren't a Mexican "Banda" act. This trio makes very catchy and addictive ultra-poppy, super fun, music. They are NOT like TMBG but the no one is. If you're the kind of person that appreciates things like The Beatles' " Hello Goodbye" , then you enjoy this gleeful music. I defy you to listen to any one of the songs from PAPAS FRITAS' new album, "Helioself" three times and then not hum it to yourself for days afterward. So if your not too "cool" to feel happy, please check 'em out I know it hard to take a strangers word on something like this. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy it without hearing it. They do have a web site but unfortunately it's currently without audio samples. Supposedly they have a video of their single "Hey,Hey, You Say" running on MTV's 120 Minutes. I've seen the video and its very fun to watch (In a "Hard Days' Night" kind of way.) Is there anyone out there who'll back me up on this? And by the way, WHERE IS EVERYONE? -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707060724.CAA16354@smtp2.skyenet.net> From: "Willy Wonka" Subject: TMBG: John Henry Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 02:30:57 -0500 hello, this is where, during my nearly a yea of getting these wonderfully large files of mess in my mailbox, stick my head up out of my hole. i love the album. that is the simple truth, ad to spare you from the rigours of that previous novel of a review, i must say that john henry really captured my imagination anew of Them. i listened to the pink album, and i was enraptured witht hey might be giants, i thoughtt of it as an absolute wonder of modern music: it was the corniest piece of bullshit i had ever heard. it was just two guys and a midi machine, i mean come ON! they had someone fone in the fucking guitar on a song that sings about insanity! it was nothing more than trash, and i couldn't get enough of it... a few albums later, it was still burning it's own little fire in my soul, but it was nothing more than great music to me... (what?) and then i heard john henry. it blew my nuts clean out of my eyesockets. it was the same two guys dicking around the drum machine and accordian, but this time They had something they never ahd before... it was like they were two little kids who finally got the bitchin' lego technic set after playing with duplo for years... they had a full band accompaning Them. you could tell by the first song that John and John were just having the time of Their lives with this, and it rang through by Nyquil Driver that i absolutly loved this album with my heart and soul... it had so much meaning for me.. not only in the songs, but fromt he johns themselves; that all you ned is a fresh outlook on life, to start over again... i had been going through a hhuge bought of the blahs for a while there, this record came along into my speakers and ear drums, and i had my answer to life's problem... i needed a change. i think i might have commited suicide or at least started listening to grunge musick if john Henry hadn't appeared.... i think it has some the best Giants' songs ever, including Spy, Why Must I Be Sad, Nyquil Driver, and the second best song of all time and history Stompbox. sure, the album contains the huge eyesore of Unrelated Thing, but hey: it's redeemable next to things like political bullshit and mcdonald's(murder), now isn't it? so that's my take on john henry. buy it. or ill personally tear your guts out with a 16 galvinised penny nail. .................................................^@> ----------------------------NUTS! I'M NUTS!---------------------------- "I don't claim to be a man.... Hell, I don't claim to be human!" waksmulski@skyenet.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9784/index.html ----------------------------NUTS! I'M NUTS!-------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 06 Jul 1997 17:32:28 +1000 Message-ID: <000FCB6E.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: speaking of bands we like... In response to a recent post there are a couple of good vaguely tmbg-ish (allright, they're nothing like tmbg) bands which folks on the list may like. The two I'm thinking of are TISM and Mr Floppy. Both are bands that make sure they never take themselves, their music, or each other too seriously. If you ever see any of them... try to have a listen. There will be a few songs that will go totally over your head unless you're Australian, but it's still fun to listen to Andrew - appologising if this is adding to a thread which shouldn't exist (like the oh so appropriate "They Might Be Lunchmeats" style food thread) ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 11:28:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706112844_191949371@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 << and we've never been able to decide whether it's "my fantasy is in..." or "my panacea's in..." >> I fail to see why this is still a point of contention...Am I the only one that has lyric sheets that say "like panaceas in a Xerox shop"? ok, so lyric sheets are not necessarily the voice of authority, but they've only been obviously wrong in one other instance that I can think of offhand . And the fact remains that if that lyric made it so far as to be printed on the sheet, They must, at some point, have intended for it to be sung as such. if this is still insufficient proof for anyone, then here you go: it is "like panaceas in a Xerox shop" because I SAID SO. allknowingmoose ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707061557.AA07313@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 11:56:59 -0400 (EDT) > I fail to see why this is still a point of contention...Am I the only one > that has lyric sheets that say "like panaceas in a Xerox shop"? ok, so lyric > sheets are not necessarily the voice of authority, but they've only been > obviously wrong in one other instance that I can think of offhand > . And the fact remains that if that lyric made it so > far as to be printed on the sheet, They must, at some point, have intended > for it to be sung as such. if this is still insufficient proof for anyone, > then here you go: it is "like panaceas in a Xerox shop" because I SAID SO. > Besides, someone asked Flansburgh at a Monopuff show and he said it was panacea in a Xerox Shop, right from the horses mouth! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 13:37:53 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <33BFD7F1.6036@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Suggestion - SUPERFAQ! I wrote: > it's just me, but I couldn't stand reading another Q&A that goes "We met > in highschool... it's about a birdhouse...it was the name of a movie" ^^^^^^^^^ Sorry, I meant to say nite-lite. Well, you get the point anyway... -Mismi ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970706003554.006dcb2c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 11:02:09 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: John Henry >> Could someone with "John Henry" tell me how it is.I am not suposed to >> write any one-line messages,so now it is two lines.. > > As many of you probably know, I am about the worst possible person >to reply to such a message, so I open the floor to someone who worships >John Henry like the sacrificial lamb that wouldn't die after this >message is through. Hmm... well, I don't worship JH, but I'll take the floor. >JH is, however, a very bulky TMBG album. With >about an hour of music, JH clocks in as the longest (Then: is a >compilation) album to date. Ruprecht is right; JH is too long (half of you just said "There's no such thing as too much TMBG!" but too much of a good thing is still too much, and the album suffers. Some very strong TMBG songs have simply gotten lost on this album--Out Of Jail, for instance.) Like any band, TMBG has its share of duds, and JH contains a few of them. (A disproportionately high number, to me, but there we go.) Fortunately, it also has a few real gems: Meet James Ensor, No One Knows My Plan, the much-underrated Out Of Jail, and the crown jewel, The End Of The Tour, among others. JH was a very experimental album. It uses an even more diverse palette of styles than usual, pretty much assuring that nobody will like everything. Take me, for example. (No, *not* literally. :) I take the somewhat unusual position of liking Unrelated Thing and O Do Not Forsake Me. I listen to lots of early music (medieval and Renaissance-era music) and I like barbershop-quartet-style harmonies, and O Do Not Forsake Me neatly skewers both genres. (I don't know why I like Unrelated Thing. I honestly don't. :) But I dislike Snail Shell and (I'll admit it) Sleeping In The Flowers, probably because they're both very "modern alterna-pop" sounding, and that's a sound I've never cared for. > This, coupled with songs that aren't as >trimmed and well crafted as songs on previous albums, leaves the >listener with an only partially enjoyable experience. Certain songs on John >Henry such as Spy and Meet James Ensor have >some of the brillance that is TMBG, but leave one wondering what >happened to the other 18 tracks. I dunno about this. It's true that some of the songs are too long (A Self Called Nowhere would have been much better if they'd cut about a minute out of it, for example), but the majority of the songs are in good TMBG style--well-thought-out, engaging, witty. > John >Henry: if you're a fan of the band like members of this list ought to >be, buy this album, otherwise, eh... I wouldn't recommend JH to newbies (I usually recommend Lincoln, but with T:TEY out I now recommend Flood), but I think it's a stronger album than you're making it out to be. Come on, JH has more than a couple good songs on it. >http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ^^ Didn't know you were in Germany, Ruprecht. :) What're you doing over there? >I saw that Paula Cole cowboy song >video the other day, and the guitar player looked an awful lot >like Mr. Schermerhorn... It prolly was. Somebody reported seeing Eric touring with Paula Cole earlier this year. >Could some one please tell me the address of download-a-song? The official Dial-A-Song Online, which is probably what you're looking for, is at www.tmbg.com/sounds/index.html (I think.) One of our listies, Larry, runs an unofficial one off of his web site at http://members.aol.com/GaritRN . There'r a couple of others (though *sniff* nothing could fill the void left by the loss of Smokin' Bo's site... :) but I don't know where. --nicole the wonder nerd is the devil you know *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970706141852.0069a920@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 14:24:19 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Articles I recently purchased the issue of Internet Underground with the TMBG article (it's an interview with John Linnell), and found a long lost article that I clipped from a local newspaper last summer. If anyone would like me to post the articles to the list, let me know. The interview is a little long and will take a bit of time. Heather Garver--------------------------------------garverhl@email.uc.edu -------------------http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver------------------------ ---http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey HQ)--- ------http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps)------ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 14:41:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706144116_558031278@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-186 In a message dated 7/6/97 1:07:16 AM, you wrote: >hey, >does anyone out there have copies of the following songs: >--->living doll >--->mario speaks >--->Maybe i know >--->summer breeze > >Please e-mail me if you do!! =) (TMBgirl@juno.com) I do! :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970706150242.006a9988@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 15:16:42 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Here comes article #1! [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19691231190000.006a9fd8@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 15:17:15 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Here comes article #1! [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970706165248.00694678@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 16:54:06 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: TMBG: Article #2 [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970706143154.0072d2f4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 14:32:00 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Hi 'vryone! Kirsten meant this for the list. Have a They day! --n the wn >X-POP3-Rcpt: ez076113@sol >Date: Sun, 6 Jul 97 14:26 EDT >From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) >To: ana.ng@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry >Reply-To: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > >I take the somewhat >>unusual position of liking Unrelated Thing and O Do Not Forsake Me. I >>listen to lots of early music (medieval and Renaissance-era music) and I >>like barbershop-quartet-style harmonies, and O Do Not Forsake Me neatly >>skewers both genres. > > Yay! Someone else who likes "O Do Not Forsake Me"! :) >Personally, I find this song great fun to sing along to, although I always >feel like my vocal chords are going to drop out of my neck by the end. >Sining out of your vocal range is fun. ;) 'Sides, I find it's a fun song >to stick in the middle of a mix tape - throws everyone off guard. I used >to dislike "Unrelated Thing," but I really like the lyrics, and that sort >of drags me into liking the rest of the song. There aren't any tracks on >this one that I habitually skip. > >>I wouldn't recommend JH to newbies > > True; but I find that when I'm trying to get someone hooked on >TMBG, and I'm making a tape for them, I end up putting a *lot* of stuff >from JH on it. Some songs that almost always make it to a Spread the >Giant-ness tape are: "Sleeping In the Flowers" (I used this one to hook my >boyfriend; he has the glimmerings of a GiantHead hiding somewhere beneath >that Neil Young and Pink Floyd-loving exterior), "Out of Jail," "Why Must >I Be Sad?" (I really, really love this song), "AKA Driver," and "No One >Knows My Plan." > > Strangely enough, although I often reccommend Flood as >a first album, I rarely put any Flood songs on a mix tape. This is >partially because Flood and Lincoln are the only ones I don't have on cd >yet (although hopefully I'll be getting THEN for my b-day). I tend >to stay away from "Istanbul" and "Particle Man," anyway. Also, oddly, I >don't put many Apollo 18 songs on there, although this ranks up there as >one of my favorite albums. I think that comes from the fact that I >believe Apollo 18 is best experienced as an entire album. But I'm >rambling... > >Kirsten > >-- >"To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, >with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ >Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > > *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 14:24:45 +0100 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Video 2.5 list Since so many have asked, here's the track list for the video bootleg, version 2.5 Aron's Records, Los Angeles 11/22/96 w/ Graham Maby, Brian Doherty - James K. Polk - Birdhouse - NYC - They Got Lost - How Can I Sing Like a Girl? - Turn Around - Maybe I Know - Ana Ng - Older - XTC vs. Adam Ant - Particle Man - S-E-X-X-Y --------------------- Wherehouse Records, Seattle 5/95 w/ Brian - Hope I Get Old Before I Die - Cage and Aquariam - Life is For Squirrels (unknown song to me, from Walt Kelly's Pogo's Songbook) - Why Does theSun Shine - Birdhouse - Jame Ensor - Unrelated Thing - I Palindrome I - Extra Savoir-Faire - Cowtown - I Wanna Be Sedated --------------------- New Paltz, NY high school gym 5/6/90 w/ tape backup - Particle Man - Your Racist Friend - Uh-Uh Chair (mr. horrible) - I'll Sink Manhattan - Ana Ng - Lucky Ball & Chain - Kiss Me Son of God - Hearing Aid --------------------- Tase of DC 10/14/96 w/ Brian, Graham, Eric Schemerhorn (horn section not visible) - Spider - The Guitar - ( end XTC vs. Adam Ant) - Exquisite Dead Guy - Particle Man - Actual Size - Your Own Worst Enemy ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 17:40:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706174055_357499118@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > As many of you probably know, I am about the worst possible person >to reply to such a message, so I open the floor to someone who worships >John Henry like the sacrificial lamb that wouldn't die after this >message is through. I don't worship John Henry (personally I'd die for Lincoln), but I think I hold a higher opinion of it than most other people, so here goes... I think John Henry was a good album, definitely not the best, but still a "fun-filled romp." Many people say it is too long, but I disagree. I think that the only too-long song on John Henry was Unrelated Thing. In fact, I really think the length helped it because it was introducing the concept of "band" into the world of They and gives you time to adjust to the presence of actual drums and a rythym section. Some of my favorite songs on the album are "No One Knows My Plan," "Subliminal," "Sleeping in the Flowers," "A Self-Called Nowhere," and my favorite, "Extra Savior-Faire." I didn't mention "The End of the Road" because it's so good it doesn't need mentioning. Personally, I believe (and there is a very high possibility that I am wrong, but just hear me out) that many people don't like John Henry because it's supposedly "Un-TMBG-like" and a "sellout." I like it. Generally, it's very TMBG-like, it's just They expanded on their music some more. I think that perhaps in putting 20 tracks on the album They made it slightly too long for general audiences, but for weirdos like me it doesn't seem to matter. All in all, of you're looking for an album that is much like their previous ones, don't buy this one. But if you're willing to adjust or are a die-hard fan or if you're more used to general mainstream alterna-pop, you'll like John Henry. Note: All opinions expressed by Le Poopee are his own and are not necessarily the opinions of sane people. A man came up to me and said, "I'd like to change your mind." "By hitting it with a rock," he said, "though I am not unkind." --They Might Be God...er, Giants. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970706214849.006ed0e8@fyi.net> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 17:48:49 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: EFnet IRC #TMBG home page Well...I just stayed up all night updating my page...so please visit it :) http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html in the special offer section is an mp3 of TMBG doing Smells Like Teen Spirit... enjoy, Josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 6 Jul 97 18:34 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Here comes article #1! Thanks, Heather!! :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:15:54 -0400 Message-Id: <199707062315.TAA24688@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Copy Shop Clerk Hey there, I'd like to let you know that there probably *IS* something to the two-song reference to the copy shop girl. Last year there was an on-line chat with flans on sonicnet, and I posed the question to him. He said "It's a band secret" and said nothing else on the matter. If anyone wants the log of the chat, lemme know. I have not edited it, so it is a bit tedious, but I dont think Sonicnet bothered to post one on their site.... Kris ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:20:09 -0400 Message-Id: <199707062320.TAA24835@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: chords Hola, Is anyone out there musically saavy? Surely there are some of you savants out there willing to help a totally musically-inept (but willing to learn) TMBG fan, right? Anyway, what i was wondering is if anyone can help me out with the chords to a few of the songs that dont have chord progressions on the unofficial site. Namely, I'd like to learn Nightgown Of the Sullen Moon, I'll Sink Manhattan, South Carolina, and Maine. The others I am working on by myself (much to the annoyance of my family, but they can deal with it!) I think I have the intro chrods to S.Carolina... lemme know what you think (the first 4 played at the beginning..): G C Dm Am(?) Like I said, I am totally musically retarded, and probably have this all wrong.... Kris ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:24:19 -0400 Message-Id: <199707062324.TAA24955@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: I PAL I (DAS) Hey there... I dont already know the words to this DAS version, but I could figure them out if need be. Lemme know. Kris ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:25:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706192526_-460463856@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I messed up In my Re: TMBG John Henry message, due to a drunken stupor, I referred to "The End of the Tour" as "The End of the Road." This is to let people know that I know the real name of the song, and consequently they will not Flood my Letterbox with messages about my little booboo. Thank you. And thanks to Jordan1c for notifying me of the mistake and suggesting I post an apology on the mailing list. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C0314D.4EA24F4C@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 19:59:10 -0400 From: Emmanuel Donio Organization: Florida State University Subject: TMBG: John Henry > From: expo67@webtv.net > Message-Id: <199707051628.JAA00267@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> > Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:28:50 -0500 > Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-185 > > Could someone with "John Henry" tell me how it is.I am not suposed to > write any one-line messages,so now it is two lines.. In my opinion, "John Henry" is an excellent album, but I like every album They have ever made. Songs that stood out to me were: Snail Shell; AKA Driver; Why Must I Be Sad; Noone Knows My Plan; Dirt Bike (musically, perhaps their best song); Meet James Ensor; and The End Of The Tour. So you see, obviously, it could hardly be said that I am disappointed with their venture into full band-edness. In a word: Buy it. Okay, that was two words. Sue me. Manny ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 20:32:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706203225_-1896463543@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: List Survey While I realize that the list has downsized for the summer, I'm generally curious to know what the average ages are of the TMBG "listies". It seems like the "Giant Friends" I meet online are usually mid-to-late teens and early twenties. To answer for myself, I'm going to be 28 in October and have been a loyal fan since about 1987. Arwen "Now I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 20:55:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706205505_-1762673701@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Here comes article #1! << "John and I know each other really well, we don't want to push stuff on each other that the other person isn't interested in, because it's just too much work. To say, like, 'Now we have to play this song that you hate. I insist!' It can be kind of unpleasant. But we still count each other as our biggest fans." >> Aww, doesn't this just make ya feel all warm and sunny all over? Thanks for posting, Heather! Kay ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:37:21 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970706213720_524513455@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: List Survey In a message dated 97-07-06 20:42:51 EDT, ArwenAnaNg@aol.com writes: << While I realize that the list has downsized for the summer, I'm generally curious to know what the average ages are of the TMBG "listies". It seems like the "Giant Friends" I meet online are usually mid-to-late teens and early twenties. To answer for myself, I'm going to be 28 in October and have been a loyal fan since about 1987. Arwen >> I'm 19 today!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707070223.TAA21021@mailtod-113.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:23:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I am not evil Not that I am a stalker, but I can probably find out Thier addresss' using this yellow page thingy for webtv.I think it is cool. I found a John S Linnell, but I am not going to E-mail This guy.Please,E-mail me with thoughts, suggestions, insults,rabbit ears.......... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:30:25 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: I'm ba-ack! Message-ID: Well I'm sure no one noticed I was gone, but I'm back now. Will Bill Kirby and Matt Coon please email me? Amy Greenlese :) ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 00:33:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970707003303_744520060@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: I am not evil In a message dated 97-07-07 00:30:35 EDT, expo67@webtv.net writes: << Not that I am a stalker, but I can probably find out Thier addresss' using this yellow page thingy for webtv.I think it is cool. I found a John S Linnell, but I am not going to E-mail This guy.Please,E-mail me with thoughts, suggestions, insults,rabbit ears.......... >> Oh, no, this would not be good.............as amazing as the idea seems, they would not like it, no, not one bit. They are paranoid freaks, as they have to be in this world... AnnA ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C079FD.7E96@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 22:09:17 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: If you like TMBG then try... > In my opinion, he's not a tenth as > great as TMBG but is nonetheless very satisfying. His lyrics are very > clever yet they are not "wacky". What about... Q U I R K Y?? -- Vladimir Drakul, awaiting flame(thrower)s -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 22:16:29 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: List Survey Message-ID: On Sun, 6 Jul 1997 ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: > While I realize that the list has downsized for the summer, I'm generally > curious to know what the average ages are of the TMBG "listies". It seems > like the "Giant Friends" I meet online are usually mid-to-late teens and > early twenties. You could check out Bill Tatalovich's survey page. It has stats like ages, locations, favorite bands, etc. and was done just a few months ago so it's still probably pretty representative of the listies of today. :) It's at: http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html I'm 22, by the way. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C080E7.2521@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 22:38:47 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > hello, this is where, during my nearly a yea of getting these wonderfully large files > of mess in my mailbox, stick my head up out > of my hole. > > i love the album. Now, I don't really know whether to be insulted by the un-Theyness of this, or to be complimented. This almost seems a mockery of They. "Two guys dicking around the drum machine and accordian?!" "Corniest piece of bullshit I had ever heard?!" "...huge eyesore of Unrelated Thing?!" Corny, accordian, Unrelated Thing... those are some of the ESSANCES of TMBG. If this is n't accepted, this guy can go listen to Marylin Manson. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-187 ******************************