Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-190 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 190 Thursday, 10 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Factory Showroom Fwd: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom TMBG: Coke, Dirtbikes, Horns, Unrelated blahblahblah Re: TMBG: Article #2 TMBG: Survey Results! Fwd: TMBG: The World's Address Meaning RE: non-TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial NON-TMBG: all girl groups TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! Re: TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! TMBG: Cola Re: TMBG: Positioning System Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! Re: TMBG: Unrelated Thing, Hotel Detectives, and Ages of Me. NON-TMBG: Coke Re: TMBG: Unrelated post about and unrelated thing [more like Dirtbike] Re: TMBG: Cola TMBG: Hotel Detective/American Band Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial Re: TMBG: Cola Re: NON-TMBG: all girl groups TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Cola Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: Cola Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: NON-TMBG: all girl groups Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: non-TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: NON-TMBG: all girl groups Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice (none) TMBG: drink TMBG: drink of choice TMBG: drink of choice Re: TMBG: Cola TMBG: Name for TMBG soda Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3372ED38.15EC@ici.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 02:24:08 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom ok, i think that we have talked and debated over john henry for long enough. i have been getting about 10 messages a day saying, "i like dirtbike." or, "i hate unrelated thing." the album that i have mixed feelings about is FS. This time around we only get 13 songs from the johns...ok 14 including token back to brooklyn. thats nothing, though compared to other CDs with up to 20 tracks (i dont think that fingertips should count). but anyway, lots of the songs dont have a very theyish sound. What is happening to the band, are they changing for good here? are they sell outs? i dont think so? oh well, i am rambling. ok...let's clutter each others mail boxes with thoughts about FS now....as i said before, talking about JH anymore would be like beating a dead horse. -Scott -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970709072013.25400.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 00:20:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Peter Hanink Subject: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom First time poster, please be gentle... So, check it...I know that Factory Showroom is different from JH and A18 and Lincoln and every other album, but I think that is what attracts me to it...granted it doesn't have the "classic" TMBG sound, but I think that if TMBG were to find out that people had pigeon holed them into a certain sound which if they ever deviate from they are accused of selling out they would not be happy... I agree, enough with the Dirtbike/unrelated thing debates, taste is individual... I love NYC, perhaps the most non-TMBG song on FS, even before I found out it was a cover, I knew it sounded different and I liked it...and while lots of the songs (S-E-X-X-Y, XTC vs Adam Ant, etc) have differant sounds to them, they still have TMBGish themes which I think is what matters...as long as they don't start doing country I'll be ok... Just in case any of you out there in cyberland missed that: STOP RUNNING THE JH MEETS MY HORNY QUOTA SMACK, aight??? I'm out, Peter 18 from UC Berkeley got into TMBG just recently but have seen them live three times and know almost all by heart...lates... === "Dinner is done, Beeyatch" Missing Link _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C371FC.D79FEAB1@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:11:56 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Factory showroom. Now theres an enigma. I like it. But not as much as the others. SEXXY is just novelty. It sounds neat, but it loses emphasis after a while. Till My Head Falls off is one of my favorite songs by THEM. I fear I am just basing my like of this song on pure form, the parts I like are the pure sining, I dont particularly care for the lyrics. I really cannot relate to them, Im so young. But it sounds good, so I like it. How Can I Sing Like A Girl- Just the opposite of TMHFO. I absolutely love the lyrics, dont care for the song all that much. I can relate well to its content, as Im sure many of you can as well. Exquisite dead guy- Fun, fun, fun! The Ba-Ba-Da-Ba part is great, and the lyrics are pure sillyness (I think, of course, I dont read the interps on tmbg.org, I think that takes the fun out of it) but as I consider it now, its just a fun song. Metal Detector- Might just be my favorite TMBG song of all time, I dunno. I personally think its the best on FS cause it's all synthesized. I have a thing for electrical music. New York City- Cant say much about this in relation to TMBG cause they didnt write it. Yes I can, you can tell they didnt, and thats what I have to say. I dont usually like songs about love, so the part I like the best is "everyones your freind.. in new york city." Oh, and also, I think its neat that Flans sings this when it was written to be sung by a girl. Perhaps that was an intentional allusion to track 2.... Your own worst enemy- I have a special place in my heart for this song. Believe it or not, it was the first song that got me hooked on TMBG. I never owned an album till FS. Yes.. I guess I am a pseudo newbie. But the line "time to roll up my sleeves... and get to work...." etc made me fall in love with these guys. XTC Versus Adam Ant- Kinda heavy-ish, but I like it cause of the lyrics again. Not a bad sound to it, but still okay overall. Spiralling Shape- Love it! Awesome lyrics, great sound, and its associated with KITH. The only problem I have with it is that it may be too long. But its not THAT big of a problem :) James K. Polk- The drums. The education. The Singing saw. Nothing bad about this song in the least. Pet name- Ugh.. a boring song... dont like it, almost as much as Dirtbike. But then again, all you Dirtbike fans like this one too, so theres something. I can hear you- Its such a secretly ironic song. And funny, too, which is always a plus. Oddly enough, this song got stuck in my head and it started (hopefully) another person onto fandom when I was singing it. The Bells are Ringing- Another brilliant song with lyrics I can identify with. Im still sorta confused about the part where it says "They were disorganized and that was what was wrong" but other than that this song is another one of my all time favorites. The whole album in general- I said I like a great majority of these songs. But, overall, I deem this album just slightly better than Flood, which is my least favorite. Why do I say so? I think it is because of the small number of songs. 13 just doesnt really cut it for me. Its so- so- so much like one of those regular bands. So, That was a little lengthy, and I dont know why I wrote it. I think it was because I was really bored. Doesnt matter. Heliotrophically- Kevin McGuire -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707090807.DAA04311@news.skyenet.net> From: "Willy Wonka" Subject: TMBG: Coke, Dirtbikes, Horns, Unrelated blahblahblah Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 03:14:52 -0500 > > We wish we could assist you, but due to contractual > > agreements with *snip* > and the musicians involved, we are unable to > bullshit,,, i really doubt that They give a damn about where the music from Their commercials is going.... if i really wanted a commercial bad enough, i could wait for it on the radio, and tape the flippin thing... i don't know about some of these large companies, and yes, i do think a fan-wide boycott of coke, regardless of what might happen to TMBG, is in order. >Kevin "Dirtbike sucks" McGuire all this ferver.... guh. at first listen, i thought it sounded oddly familiar to Road Movie to Berlin, and it still kind of does. but regardless, i think it is a fabulously sedate song, really easy to sing along to, and it is that perfect song to screw with people's heads with in an elevator... well, that and Hide Away Folk Family... I don't like Unrelated Thing for a couple of not so good reasons... one of them being the ever popular "too slow," but that doesnt really stand with all Their slow songs... the big problem i have with it is the droning and holding out of the words ad notes throughout... this is the same reason why it took a little while for Shes an Angel and Someone Keeps Moving My Chair to grow on me and kill my perturbances with their fungal ways... i just havent had the time nor will to listen to unrelated thing enough times for it to finally get accepted by me.... I never skip anything in a giant's album, i just pay more or less attention to the stereo... I also have a couple of questions, both pertaining to Pink album: does anyone else who owns the original release of it on cd notice a laser rot problem? i have two copies, and original that i played over and over again in the eighties, then i decided through some collectors instinct to put it on the shelf and get a newer copy.... th newer one(circa 1993-94) has been played a lot longer, but to much less damage... just wondering about this.. it seems to be happening a lot more with cheaper pressings from the eightys... my entire Siouxsie and the Banshees collection is nearly dead.... two; why do they not put out any more songs with a country accent? i thought alienation's for the rich was a stunning piece of camp that i could stand hearing revitalised.... oh, and i am a cyborg from thirty years in the future who was sent back to stop the real me from being concieved. top that one. .......................................................................^@> ----------------------------NUTS! I'M NUTS!---------------------------- "I don't claim to be a man.... Hell, I don't claim to be human!" waksmulski@skyenet.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9784/index.html "Just drinking and a driving... making sure my dues get paid...."--alienation?! fah, it's strictly for the rich. "Hey mister machoman, is it true that all the grrrls want to cum on you?"-mister machoman "i can do what i want they dont comlain. i wanna fuck, i wanna fuck the dead!"- code blue "ohmigod! it's just too big!! it's going to blow the SMTP wide open, man!! The POP is going to die, just look at the poor thing in relation to the size of THIS thing!! you're mad insane!!!"-- my ISP commenting on this .sig file ----------------------------NUTS! I'M NUTS!-------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970708233524.006996ac@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 23:35:24 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: TMBG: Article #2 >JL:My main argument against it is I just haven't seen that much interesting >work done using computers interactively. We've had a couple thousand years >of culture where that wasn't happening - and that turned out a pretty good >body of work. That's not to say it won't happen, but I guess I'm kind of >old-fashioned. And I'm kind of old, at this point. Am I the only one who thinks that this is further proof of Linnell's immortality/timelordiness??? Or am I just the only one who wasn't totally against bringing this thread up again... Brownie... (who is 19 and has a similar problem to Jen in that he can't quite remember when in school he found TMBG... about grade nine so 1992?? dunno...) --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C36850.37F2@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 03:30:47 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Survey Results! >Bill Tatlovich (sp?) has an excellent survey page up that answers that >question,though I don't have the URL handy... Bill? You around? (I'm19, >BTW) >--nicole the wonder nerd I'm not Bill but I've been to his TMBG survey page and I highly reccomend it. It's at: http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 07:21:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970709072103_-426660311@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Fwd: TMBG: The World's Address Meaning --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: TMBG: The World's Address Meaning Date: 97-07-08 22:44:36 EDT From: Kaylum To: mjames@greed.loyola.edu > I know this is probably old news, but I just figured it out: > > The World's Address -> The World's A Dress!!! ("a place that's worn . . .", > "a sad pun . . .", "under every garment . . . . ") > > Please let me know if this was brought up before, but for everyone who didn't > know it, THE WORLD'S A DRESS! But why is the world a dress? What does that mean?>> This is probably one of TMBG's more straightforward songs, IMHO. A dress can hide many flaws on a person, so by saying the world's a dress, the implication is that the world, and people in general, are often not what they seem beneath their pretty surface. In the beginning of the song, the speaker has been deceived by someone ("I know you deceived me..."), and he is then able, or at least thinks he is able, to see the dark side in everyone that we try to hide ("Everyone looks naked..."). Even the song itself is part of the deception--the title is "The World's Address," but as the above shows, tht doesnt make sense, and it should have been "The World's Address" all along. Sorry if this interp of mine has been done to death before, but I think this song is damn clever, and it always tickles me when someone figures it out for the first time. On a similar note, has anyone notice how many TMBG songs deal with fake vs reality? There's "Counterfiet Fake" _and_ Counterfiet Faker," "Fake-Out in Buenos Aires," "They Might Be Giants" ("They might be big, big fake, fake lies"), "Sensurround" ("Made the fakeness realistic"), "Spiralling Shape" ("the spiralling shape was a fraud and a fake"), and I'm sure there are more. I'd say it's probably one of their most prevalant motifs, after death--and heads ! Kay, hoping he mom is taping Viva tonight ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 09 Jul 1997 21:23:15 +1000 Message-ID: <000FEC83.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: RE: non-TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial > Gah! I was literally almost in tears today when I read that the >Spice Girls are the first all-girl group to reach no. 1 with their debut >single. Am I the only one profoundly dismayed by this? But, But what about the Bangles???? Surely they had a number one... please say they had a number one... Andrew C ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707091229.AA10628@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: all girl groups Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:29:13 -0400 (EDT) > > Gah! I was literally almost in tears today when I read that the > >Spice Girls are the first all-girl group to reach no. 1 with their debut > >single. Am I the only one profoundly dismayed by this? > > But, But what about the Bangles???? Surely they had a number one... please > say they had a number one... > > Andrew C And surely the Go-Gos, didn't they reach #1 with their numerous hits? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <852564CF.00439843.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:37:38 -0400 Subject: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! What!?! Don't buy Coke, buy Pepsi!?! Are you nuts!?! Coke does one of the coolest things ever by using TMBG in an ad and someone says buy Pepsi!?! Ever since I heard that TMBG did the Coke commercial I buy a Coke product when presented with a choice. I have always loved Coke advertising. IMHO, the "Always Coca-Cola" campaign is one of the most musically mature campaigns in the history of marketing. So my point is buy Coke! What would be really great is if Coke sponsored the OLMC (sp?). Maybe even Coke could sponsor the next TMBG tour (It could help keep ticket prices down). Every group's tours are sponsored by someone, so what better company to back TMBG than Coke. It's a perfect match. As for the Dirtbike survey - put me down for "absolutely love" the song. I ride motorcycle and it is one of the greatest songs to think about when riding (it sure beats the lame "Born to be Wild" stereotypical motorcycle song). I use the literal interpretation of the song even though I know THEY say it is about a cult or, as one extremely very observant person once pointed out, it may applies to the 3rd Reich. Well, gotta go. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707091353.JAA03000@one.net> From: "Doug Haas" Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:51:56 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial > Well, > all i have to say is COCA-COLA SUCKS!!! LET US ALL BUY PEPSI PRODUCTS > FROM NOW ON!!! =) before you go and buy pepsi, let me remind you that pepsi is now running a commercial in Europe featuring the Spice Girls, whereas Coke has had TMBG and Soul COughing. so, PEPSI SUCKS!!! LET US ALL BUY COKE PRODUCTS FROM NOW ON!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707091349.IAA08802@dfw-ix1.ix.netcom.com> From: "Mike Bobbick" Subject: Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:47:06 -0700 > > What!?! Don't buy Coke, buy Pepsi!?! Are you nuts!?! Coke does one of the > coolest things ever by using TMBG in an ad and someone says buy Pepsi!?! > Ever since I heard that TMBG did the Coke commercial I buy a Coke product > when presented with a choice. I have always loved Coke advertising. IMHO, > the "Always Coca-Cola" campaign is one of the most musically mature > campaigns in the history of marketing. So my point is buy Coke! > He has a point. Coke was cool enough to even put TMBG in one of their ads! Even if nobody ever heard it. But still... they wouldn't give it to us... Why should we support Coke, just because they made an ad with TMBG, when only a few of us ever heard it? IMHO, Pepsi is in my never drink unless nothing else is left list... So why the rest of you guys debate which to drink, maybe we should just forget it, and go get a can of Safeway Select Cola, or Giant brand. Heck, maybe we should just boycott the whole cola industry all together!!! Mike mikeman4@ix.netcom.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:03:12 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: TMBG: Cola Message-ID: Ooh! I have an idea! Let's all try and bring Like cola back, and drink that instead! Jen :9 'Incense, peppermints, a big can of Spam....' --Space Ghost 'The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.' --Douglas Adams ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Positioning System Message-ID: <19970709.103040.3326.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 10:26:06 EDT I have to put in my .03 here...I love JH, No one Knows my plan, Meet James Ensor, and Sleeping in The Flowers are probably my favorite songs...as unusual as it may be, my least favorite song has to be Stompbox, it just didn't sound They to me...End of The Tour is also a great song...May The Force be With you >While im posting, i might as well say that i LOVE John Henry. >Unrelated Thing >is an OK song, but i dont think its bad. I think every song on John >Henry is >great. No One Knows My Plan always makes me feel good and energetic >for some >reason, it has this power. Might be my fav tmbg song. I love Dirtbike >too. > >Jordan > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Message-ID: <19970709.103040.3326.2.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 10:26:06 EDT Good change of subject...I really liked FS..."Metal Detector" always gets me in a crazy mood, and "James K. Polk" is just as good...I never really developed into a fan of "How can I sing like a girl" but hey, we all have different tastes...and before it gets started on this thread, I love "Pet Name", "XTC vs Adam Ant", and especially "I can Hear You"...May The Force Be With You HAHA, your PINKO rules don't apply to ME!!!!! On Fri, 09 May 1997 02:24:08 -0700 Scott Daniel Howard writes: >ok, i think that we have talked and debated over john henry for long >enough. i have been getting about 10 messages a day saying, "i like >dirtbike." or, "i hate unrelated thing." the album that i have mixed >feelings about is FS. This time around we only get 13 songs from the >johns...ok 14 including token back to brooklyn. thats nothing, though >compared to other CDs with up to 20 tracks (i dont think that >fingertips >should count). but anyway, lots of the songs dont have a very theyish >sound. What is happening to the band, are they changing for good >here? >are they sell outs? i dont think so? oh well, i am rambling. >ok...let's clutter each others mail boxes with thoughts about FS >now....as i said before, talking about JH anymore would be like >beating >a dead horse. > >-Scott >-- >Keep on keepin' on! > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:49:12 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! Message-ID: <19970709.104913.3582.0.erda@juno.com> From: erda@juno.com (KUNDRY E HABERKERN) On Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:47:06 -0700 "Mike Bobbick" writes: So why the rest of you guys debate which >to >drink, maybe we should just forget it, and go get a can of Safeway >Select >Cola, or Giant brand. Heck, maybe we should just boycott the whole >cola >industry all together!!! soda-yuck! hows about a nice cold glass of oj? ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Unrelated Thing, Hotel Detectives, and Ages of Me. Message-ID: <19970709.111120.4879.2.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 11:19:46 EDT What recording is Stormy Pinkness on? Oh and someone please where can I get an mp3 player for Win 3.x???!!! Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" Visit my HomePage at The Home of !AVISO!, Uncle Larry, and FREE Floss!!! ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707091521.AA10745@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Coke Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:21:34 -0400 (EDT) > What!?! Don't buy Coke, buy Pepsi!?! Are you nuts!?! Coke does one of the > coolest things ever by using TMBG in an ad and someone says buy Pepsi!?! > Ever since I heard that TMBG did the Coke commercial I buy a Coke product > when presented with a choice. I have always loved Coke advertising. IMHO, > the "Always Coca-Cola" campaign is one of the most musically mature > campaigns in the history of marketing. So my point is buy Coke! > > What would be really great is if Coke sponsored the OLMC (sp?). Maybe even > Coke could sponsor the next TMBG tour (It could help keep ticket prices > down). Every group's tours are sponsored by someone, so what better company > to back TMBG than Coke. It's a perfect match. What do you prefer, substance or flash? While it's very cool that TMBG did a commercial for Coke, Pepsi wins hands down for taste. The marketing schemes just seem to be a bit haywire ;) Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Unrelated post about and unrelated thing [more like Dirtbike] Message-ID: <19970709.111120.4879.1.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 11:19:46 EDT On Tue, 8 Jul 97 21:20 EDT kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: >>Dirtbike is great... specifically i think it carries alot of the same >>groove quality that is found in a later, also much debated song, pet >>name. > > I like "Pet Name," too.. Maybe I'm just weird. ;) I wasn't >wowed >by it at first, but it's such a, I dunno, *smmmooooth* sounding song. >It >just sort of grows on you. Love that baseline, and it's fun to sing >along >with, too. I know that Pet Name is a song that according to John and John "is deeper into the Memphis groove than any song before" but still if a song is that good, I mean it's got some much emotion and is so smooth, it's silly to dislike it just because it's a departure. That's pretty much the way I feel about the entire JH issue. Oh, and JH is a great album to introduce people to TMBG because it's a happy medium between popular music today and classic TMBG...people hate the word quirky (me included) so let's try a new adjective to describe their sound...how about classic TMBG "swank"..yeah I like that...hope it catches on. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" Visit my web page at The home of !AVISO!, Uncle Larry, and amazing FREE floss! > >i think that one of the highlights of that song, and >>maybe even JH as a whole, is the long instrumental section of 'a self >>called nowhere' especially the effect where the crashing cymbals >travel >>from left to right speakers and back again, it kinda makes me dizzy >and >>i kinda like that. > > That whole chorus always makes me feel a little dizzy, like >everything's swirling in a big circle. The song makes me think of >strange >dreams I've had. As a matter of fact, it was the soundtrack to a >weird >dream I had that involved a devil creature and a spiral staircase. :) > >Kirsten >-- >"To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, >free, >with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ >Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:02:28 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cola Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, squeak! wrote: > > Ooh! I have an idea! Let's all try and bring Like cola back, and drink > that instead! Or let's just invent our OWN cola. Then it could even have a They-esque name. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970709172310.0066dca4@spectra.net> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 13:23:10 -0400 From: ".,.-'*~*'-,.,..AmY" Subject: TMBG: Hotel Detective/American Band > I heard a song called "We're An American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad > yesterday, and I heard the words 'hotel detective'! > Does anyone know this song? Has anyone heard those two word s together > anywhere but in (SWA)HD and SWAHD? I heard a parody of this song, and it was called "We're An Accordian Band" and it was all about a hotel detective. i think i might have even taped it. If Only I Could Bake The Hall In The Candle Of Her Brain! ============================ Just Pondering This Time Bomb In My Mind...>><< ===================================== AnaNgel@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 (TMBG) ===========Leggo my Ego================ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:37:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970709133719_-1024534515@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! << > What!?! Don't buy Coke, buy Pepsi!?! Are you nuts!?! Coke does one of the > coolest things ever by using TMBG in an ad and someone says buy Pepsi!?! > Ever since I heard that TMBG did the Coke commercial I buy a Coke product > when presented with a choice. I have always loved Coke advertising. IMHO, > the "Always Coca-Cola" campaign is one of the most musically mature > campaigns in the history of marketing. So my point is buy Coke! > He has a point. Coke was cool enough to even put TMBG in one of their ads! Even if nobody ever heard it. But still... they wouldn't give it to us... Why should we support Coke, just because they made an ad with TMBG, when only a few of us ever heard it? >> How true--it's damn ironic that mega corporations like Coke shove their ads down our faces everywhere we turn, yet when we would actually like to hear one of them, we can't. What's the point in selecting a band to do an ad if it can't be heard by those they appeal to? Ah, well, anyway, I'm a Mega Jolt Cola woman myself ! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:15:19 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial Message-ID: <19970709.104205.11486.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) No, Pepsi needs our help if they are doing commercials with the Spice Girls. The onlt way to help is to BUY BUY BUY!! Josh Nielsen Pepsi lover since 1979 On Tue, 08 Jul 1997 16:21:40 -0400 Mismirilda writes: >I have no Name wrote: >> >> Well, >> all i have to say is COCA-COLA SUCKS!!! LET US ALL BUY PEPSI >PRODUCTS >> FROM NOW ON!!! =) > >Oh no. Pepsi does ads with the Spice Girls. Which is the lesser of the >two evils? >Coke, all the way :) > >-Mismi > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33738D82.489E@ici.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 13:48:02 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Cola 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > > On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, squeak! wrote: > > > > > Ooh! I have an idea! Let's all try and bring Like cola back, and drink > > that instead! > > Or let's just invent our OWN cola. Then it could even have a They-esque > name. i think that inventing our own cola is the best idea yet. my friend did invent a cola and it is really really good. it sounds gross, but do not judge it until you try it, i was sceptical at first, but i swear you will like it. get a 2 ltr bottle of mountain dew, and put lots and lots of recees peices in it. let it sit in the refridgerator for a while, shake it up, and enjoy. i promise you, you will not be dissapointied. I motion that this be the official TMBG soda. we could call it...hmmm...cant think of a name...any suggestions? -Scott > > -Lani O:) > lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * > Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ > TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! > _______________________________________________________________ > There's a place for those who love their poetry > It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' > -They Might Be Giants > --------------------------------------------------------------- -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970709175626.7825.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:56:26 -0700 (PDT) From: Peter Hanink Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: all girl groups Sorry to say, but no...the go-go's only reached as far as #2 with We Got the Beat...Belinda had a few number 1's on her own, but never as a group... Oh, check it...metal detector ranks up there with Ana Ng as one of the coolest songs of all time...and til my head falls off; all I have to say is that it is all about the puppets, if you don't know what I'm talking about sorry...and the coolest TMBG song ever is Older...hands down, coolest... When was this TMBG coke song aired??? I never saw it or heard it, although there is this squirt commercial now which is Linnellesque... Late, Peter === "Tyra Banks recently said that if you were to see her without a bra on you would know that her breasts are real...If I saw Tyra Banks without her bra on, I would know God was real." Conan O'Brian _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:58:59 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: <19970709.110048.11486.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Okay. I just saw the Viva epsiode. I have never seen Them live before, so I have a few questions. 1) Did anyone notice that FlansburgH is left-handed? 2) Why was Graham singing back-up? Is this normal? 3) Does Flans usually tear the strings off his guitar at the end? 4) Why didn't Flans do the solo? 5) Why does the drummer look so much like the other guitarist? 6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? Thank you very much for your answers and opinions. Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C3FD41.37BF0BDF@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 14:06:09 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Cola > I motion that this be the official TMBG soda. we could call > it...hmmm...cant think of a name...any suggestions? WORK! C'mon, you'll get it sooner or later. Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:07:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > 1) Did anyone notice that FlansburgH is left-handed? Yes. > 2) Why was Graham singing back-up? Is this normal? Yes, it is normal, since he joined the group. Even Tony sang backups sometimes, but only in addition to Flans. I believe Graham has a vocal range more similar to Linnell than Flans', so it makes sense for him to sing backup when the original recording has John L. backing himself. > 3) Does Flans usually tear the strings off his guitar at the end? He has done this at many concerts at the end of the show. > 4) Why didn't Flans do the solo? Eric probably did the solo on the FS version, so Flans may not have practiced playing it live. > 5) Why does the drummer look so much like the other guitarist? 'Cause he was born that way. > 6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? Yes. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:11:31 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cola Message-ID: On Fri, 9 May 1997, Scott Daniel Howard wrote: > will like it. get a 2 ltr bottle of mountain dew, and put lots and lots > of recees peices in it. let it sit in the refridgerator for a while, > shake it up, and enjoy. i promise you, you will not be dissapointied. > I motion that this be the official TMBG soda. we could call > it...hmmm...cant think of a name...any suggestions? That does sound like the most disgusting thing ever, but most things do when you just hear the ingredients. It's got my vote. I don't know if the human body can take in those levels of sugar, though. We'll have to revive the foods thread to think of a cola name... Ack! Stop hitting me! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:12:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Jul-97 TMBG: Viva Variety by Joshua D Nielsen@juno.co > 1) Did anyone notice that FlansburgH is left-handed? he hit his head; now he's left handed. :) > 2) Why was Graham singing back-up? Is this normal? it's gotten to be pretty normal... when I saw them in December, all three of them (Flans, Linnell, and Graham) were singing on Till My Head Falls Off... > 3) Does Flans usually tear the strings off his guitar at the end? sometimes. I think on TV performances, he does it more... > 4) Why didn't Flans do the solo? because he can't play lead guitar. > 5) Why does the drummer look so much like the other guitarist? they're clones, didn't you hear? > 6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? Linnell has enormous hands for his size. I think they're stretched from having played the instruments he does... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C40111.E8D5C6FC@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 14:22:25 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Should be Coffee! Come on! Why get that measly bit of caffine supplied by colas when you can get the real stuff from coffee! With cream and sugar of course. [eagerly awaiting "black" fans arguments] Kevin "When I say black I mean black coffee not black people" McGuire -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:03:14 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > Should be Coffee! Come on! Why get that measly bit of caffine supplied > by colas when you can get the real stuff from coffee! Coffee makes me gag. I'm not saying it shouldn't be the official drink, I'm just saying I can't drink it. Another suggestion for the official drink: Vivarin. -Lani O:) *puke* lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C40B06.C7A9590A@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 15:04:54 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice > Coffee makes me gag. > > I'm not saying it shouldn't be the official drink, I'm just saying I can't > drink it. Oh. Didnt anyone tell you? Thats normal. Everyone who drinks coffee gags. Uhhh..... Yeah.... :) > Another suggestion for the official drink: Vivarin. Yeah! Vivarin's perfect! I cant believe I never thought of this before [he exclaimed with a look on his face which said quietly "I have no idea what Vivarin is"] (:Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970709191309.21116.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:13:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Peter Hanink Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice I agree, coffee addicts of the world unite!!! except it should be a double iced espresso...that's a real man's drink...in fact it should be a double iced espresso brewed in an espresso maker with espresso roast with espresso grind so its super concentrated and dissolves styrofoam cups... I'm out, Peter "the peter" Hanink === "Tyra Banks recently said that if you were to see her without a bra on you would know that her breasts are real...If I saw Tyra Banks without her bra on, I would know God was real." Conan O'Brian _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C3E1AF.6D27@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 12:08:31 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: all girl groups Matthew James wrote: > > > > Gah! I was literally almost in tears today when I read that the > > >Spice Girls are the first all-girl group to reach no. 1 with their debut > > >single. Am I the only one profoundly dismayed by this? > > > > But, But what about the Bangles???? Surely they had a number one... please > > say they had a number one... > > > > Andrew C > And surely the Go-Gos, didn't they reach #1 with their numerous hits? > Matt Read the original quote *carefully*... here, let me help a little.... "Spice Girls are the first all-girl group to reach no. 1 with their *--->DEBUT<---* single." -jdm ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <852564CF.00690DF2.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:08:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! >He has a point. Coke was cool enough to even put TMBG in one of their ads! >Even if nobody ever heard it. But still... they wouldn't give it to us... >Why should we support Coke, just because they made an ad with TMBG, when >only a few of us ever heard it? Because they DID it. I think it took a little courage to use TMBG in the ad when most people have never heard of them and of those that have heard of them, many of them don't like TMBG. I know of 5 other people who like TMBG. Most people I know have never heard of them or don't like like them. So when Coke used them they were taking a chance they didn't have to take. I respect that. >IMHO, Pepsi is in my never drink unless >nothing else is left list... So why the rest of you guys debate which to >drink, maybe we should just forget it, and go get a can of Safeway Select >Cola, or Giant brand. Heck, maybe we should just boycott the whole cola >industry all together!!! Huh? A company uses your favorite group in an ad and you want to boycott them because you haven't heard it? I guess what you are trying to say is "Don't use my favorite group in an ad unless you make sure EVERYONE hears it.". This would turn anyone off from sponsoring TMBG. TMBG may need sponsorship money to pull off their next tour or to expand their tour to reach places like Nebraska or Portland or England. So drink what you want (I don't care) but as for me if I have a choice (like I did an hour ago) I am going to buy Coke. > Mike > mikeman4@ix.netcom.com Erik Chuss "I'm not done and I won't be til my head falls off" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3373A586.1A14@ici.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:30:30 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: AAAACCCCCKKKK!!!! echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com wrote: > > > Because they DID it. I think it took a little courage to use TMBG in the ad > when most people have never heard of them and of those that have heard of > them, many of them don't like TMBG. I know of 5 other people who like > TMBG. Most people I know have never heard of them or don't like like them. > So when Coke used them they were taking a chance they didn't have to take. > I respect that. > everyone i know, either has never heard of TMBG, or loves them! > > Mike > > mikeman4@ix.netcom.com > > Erik Chuss > "I'm not done and I won't be til my head falls off" -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970709153320.002be8a8@email.uc.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 15:36:23 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice At 02:22 PM 7/9/97 -0700, you wrote: >Should be Coffee! Come on! Why get that measly bit of caffine supplied >by colas when you can get the real stuff from coffee! > >With cream and sugar of course. > >[eagerly awaiting "black" fans arguments] > > >Kevin "When I say black I mean black coffee not black people" McGuire >-- My personal drink of choice would be vodka. But, I guess since the majority of this list is younger[1]and we're talking caffeine supplements, I'd have to say that a tall cup of cafe mocha is my fave. [1]The drinking age is 21[2] and most on this list are under that age. [2]Even so, they may drink, but I find that most people my age (20) and younger drink beer(I'm not sure why, it tastes like $h!t), not the hard stuff. (Sorry for rambling, just adding my input) Heather Garver--------------------------------------garverhl@email.uc.edu -------------------http://www.eng.uc.edu/~hgarver------------------------ ---http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey HQ)--- ------http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps)------ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3373AA66.5230@ici.net> Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 15:51:18 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice ok, i have been thinking about it, and i think that we should have more than one drink of choice. or maybe mix a bunch of drinks all in one. i think that we should mix Crystal Pepsi, OK Soda, Mellow Yellow, and Jolt -Scott -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:52:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970709155157_-2044956876@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Re: copy of the coke commercial << Gah! I was literally almost in tears today when I read that the Spice Girls are the first all-girl group to reach no. 1 with their debut single. Am I the only one profoundly dismayed by this? >> No. (And in an effort to make this statement more than one line, Le Poopee will now add a second. Thnak you.) Actually, I have more to say. The fact that the Spice Girls are mega-popular doesn't surprise me (I mean, people loved Milli Vanilli, for crying out loud.) It's the fact that I drink Pepsi, I hear They (or at least one of Them, I'm not sure) make(s) a Coke commercial, Spice Girls do a Pepsi spot, and now I have to switch brands. What a pain. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:59:08 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Message-ID: I propose we have the S-E-X-X-Y Martini as the official drink. For all of those who (1) don't like martinis or (2) are underage, maybe we can have 7-Up with a green-dyed Vivarin in it instead of gin&vermouth with an olive. Jen :9 'Incense, peppermints, a big can of Spam....' --Space Ghost 'The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.' --Douglas Adams ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:08:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970709160734_881149630@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom In a message dated 97-07-09 09:30:58 EDT, you write: << ok, i think that we have talked and debated over john henry for long enough. i have been getting about 10 messages a day saying, "i like dirtbike." or, "i hate unrelated thing." the album that i have mixed feelings about is FS. This time around we only get 13 songs from the johns...ok 14 including token back to brooklyn. thats nothing, though compared to other CDs with up to 20 tracks (i dont think that fingertips should count). but anyway, lots of the songs dont have a very theyish sound. What is happening to the band, are they changing for good here? are they sell outs? i dont think so? oh well, i am rambling. ok...let's clutter each others mail boxes with thoughts about FS now....as i said before, talking about JH anymore would be like beating a dead horse. >> I agree on the dead horse thing. Anyway, about FS and it's 13 tracks, I say, so what? I mean, sure, JH had 20, and people said it was too long. Most albums are in the 15-song range, and last about, what, forty-five minutes? According to my CD player, FS clocks in at 43:12 or something, so it's still the same amount of TMBG, just in slightly larger doses. I think, for the most part, that FS is one kickin' CD. When I first got it, I couldn't stop listening for a week-and-a-half. I hear a lot of negativity about "Pet Name," but really it's much like a lot of the older TMBG songs, like Unrelated Thing, only it's jazzed up a bit, which I think is pretty cool. The song that surprised me was "S~E~X~X~Y." To me, it didn't sound like them, and my sister wasn't sure who it was when she listend to it. It's a good song, but I think that "Till My Head Falls Off" and "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" are better, along with "Spiraling Shape" and "XTC Vs. Adam Ant." All in all, I think it's a great album, the fact that the hidden track is at the beginning before the actual first track (instead of at the end, like other CDs) makes it unique. That and, of course, "I Can Hear You" being recorded on an 1898 Thomas Edison phonograph. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't think they're selling out, because they only hace one single, they don't have any videos and they weren't mass-marketed. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:12:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970709161221_424127937@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom In a message dated 97-07-09 11:37:37 EDT, you write: << The Bells are Ringing- Another brilliant song with lyrics I can identify with. Im still sorta confused about the part where it says "They were disorganized and that was what was wrong" but other than that this song is another one of my all time favorites. >> Actually, I always thought that it was "they WEREN'T disorganized," which for some strange reason makes sense to me. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:30:38 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > > Another suggestion for the official drink: Vivarin. > > Yeah! Vivarin's perfect! I cant believe I never thought of this before > [he exclaimed with a look on his face which said quietly "I have no idea > what Vivarin is"] Vivarin is one of those great little caffeine pills, generically called "Stay Awake" etc. Revive with Vivarin! -Lani O:) Official Vivarin Spokesmodel (Why do they only let me use email?) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Jul 97 17:04 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: all girl groups >And surely the Go-Gos, didn't they reach #1 with their numerous hits? Sure, but not with their *first* single, apparently. (Kirsten experiences dry heaves and plots ways to destroy the Spice Girls' careers) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Jul 97 17:13 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice > >I agree, coffee addicts of the world unite!!! > >except it should be a double iced espresso...that's a real man's >drink... I must be The Coffee Wuss - my favorite is iced mocha cappucinos. :) But if I drink regular coffee, it's black with lots of sugar. No artificial creamer! :P (Kirsten is suddenly traumatized by images of her friend Derek after drinking a triple espresso.. that was scary) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 17:13:07 -0400 Message-ID: <19970709.171308.3670.1.erda@juno.com> From: erda@juno.com (KUNDRY E HABERKERN) <