Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-191 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 191 Friday, 11 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Name for TMBG soda Re: TMBG: John Henry + plug + OAT Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice TMBG: Re: "webtv not working right?" Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice TMBG: This Coke thing, Listee drinks, etc. Re: TMBG: This Coke thing, Listee drinks, etc. TMBG: summer school sucks TMBG: Drink of choice Re: TMBG: Drink of choice TMBG: Beverages, commercials TMBG: Factory Showroom Feelings Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice and WHY FULL BAND? TMBG: #TMBG Page survey TMBG: Re: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: drink of choice TMBG: Survey Results! TMBG: Beverages, commercials NON-TMBG: beverages Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice NON-TMBG: drink choices TMBG: Insect Hospital Re: TMBG: Beverages, commercials TMBG: Big Time www.tmbg.org Update TMBG: RE: New Year's tickets (fwd) TMBG: Snail Shell Promo CD (none) TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: cola TMBG: tapes Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: tapes Re: TMBG: Big Time www.tmbg.org Update TMBG: wrap-around? Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. TMBG: my .sig Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital Re: NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital Re: TMBG: Article #2 Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: cub and They! NON-TMBG: BF5 on Download-a-Song! Re: TMBG: Unrelated post about and unrelated thing TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Re: TMBG: Cola Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:17:07 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Name for TMBG soda Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Det. Dave wrote: > Actually, I came up with a great name for the official TMBG soda. > Howzabout we call it "TMBC" (This Might Be Cola) ? Cute! I like it. Going back though the foods things, I picked out a few that could maybe somehow be adapted to our drink...Maybe... Of these particular choices, I like the Cola one. Whatever. Lie Still, Little Bottle Of Soda I Should Be Allowed to Drink Cola and the more alcoholic ones... Nightcap of the Sullen Moon Why does the Moonshine I'll drink Manhattans -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C438E5.471EAB59@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 18:20:53 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry + plug + OAT Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >JH is, however, a very bulky TMBG album. With > >about an hour of music, JH clocks in as the longest (Then: is a > >compilation) album to date. > > Ruprecht is right; Alright! At least someone thinks so... > > This, coupled with songs that aren't as > >trimmed and well crafted as songs on previous albums, leaves the > >listener with an only partially enjoyable experience. Certain songs > on > John >Henry such as Spy and Meet James Ensor have > >some of the brillance that is TMBG, but leave one wondering what > >happened to the other 18 tracks. > > I dunno about this. It's true that some of the songs are too long (A > Self > Called Nowhere would have been much better if they'd cut about a > minute out > of it, for example), but the majority of the songs are in good TMBG > style--well-thought-out, engaging, witty. Most of what I was trying to say with that statement, was lost, I think. My intended meaning was that a lot of the songs just run on and on, repeating the chorus constantly (which becomes an even more apparent problem on FS), and various instrument part which weren't too great to begin with. > >http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ > ^^ > Didn't know you were in Germany, Ruprecht. :) What're you doing over > there? Axe murderin' mostly. There's a big market for it here. Aren't my English skills fantastic? Oh yeah, everyone check out that webpage. I'm a small time writer and it contains all the prose I've written, as well as a small portion of the poetry (most of the rest being contained at Mr. Flippy's Red Light Fun Time Happy Hour (there's no way I got that right) http://yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy/). There's also an online version of the game Rock Paper Scissors, a Slogans For Crack Page and a rare literary find detailing my jaunt into 1930s publications. OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): If I were to pick a drink this list it would have to be well thought out and rude (kidding!), but as for myself, it would most likely be a dry, German white wine. o/~ I drank me some alcohol, not to say I'm alcoholic o/~ -- I'm the president of the United States of Love. --Hair -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707092338.TAA17409@one.net> From: "Doug Haas" Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:36:30 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice > ok, i have been thinking about it, and i think that we should have more > than one drink of choice. or maybe mix a bunch of drinks all in one. i > think that we should mix I think that no matter what it is, it has to contain Crystal Pepsi and blue food coloring. I say we have an official soda, official coffee-type drink, and official alcoholic drink, then no one is happy, and we have three drinks of choice!!! after all, three is better than one. > Crystal Pepsi, they still make that stuff? > OK Soda, what's that? > Mellow Yellow, again, they still make that stuff? I thought surge replaced it. > and Jolt jolt tastes disgusting. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C43BF3.B1D6413A@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 18:33:55 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Re: "webtv not working right?" expo67@webtv.net wrote: > How come, at TMBG.com, when I go to the master thing (with lyrics, > interpretations, MIDIs etc.) it says "this page is to big to be shown > completely" at the bottom? I don't know how to get this in it's > entirety. Help!!! It seems to me that the main problem here would most likely be that old Phillips/Magnavox's webtv lacks the ram (or whatever it's equivalent would be) that it ought to have. However, as a suggestion to tmbg.org current proprietor, (Jon, Leo, or Bluedawg), that page does take a horrificly long time to load and you might consider listing out section names as links on the intial page, though I know you've had it that way before... whatever... -- Breathe deep, while you sleep. Breathe deep deep deep de-deep. --Hair -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:46:23 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Doug Haas wrote: > I think that no matter what it is, it has to contain Crystal Pepsi > and blue food coloring. I say we have an official soda, official Has anyone tried that Minute Maid blue soda? That stuff rocks! It turns your mouth blue and everything. It's this un-earthly blue color. It's a possibility...except that it's caffeine free... oh well. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:08:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: This Coke thing, Listee drinks, etc. Message-ID: On the whole, I like Coke products better, and loath Pepsi as a whole, except for Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper is a Pepsi prod. AFIK, but I've seen it sold with both Pepsi and Coke. And yes, I know, Mr. Pibb, etc., but Mr. Pibb sucks, too. The problem with Coke is that I resent their advertising that I can only be beautiful when I drink it. All I can say is that beauty may not be skin deep, but it sure don't come from a soda! And Pepsi lost me for good with the Spice Girls and those ever so annoying Mt. Dew commercials with the screaming girls and the stupid boys. The Jackie Chan one was a winner, though. On a funny side note, on Conan last night, In the Year 2000 predicted that "In a shocking turn of events, the Spice Girls marry Menudo and their children form a Hanson cover band, and life as we know it will cease to exist." Crystal Pepsi was good, though. I think we should drink Green Mountain, but unfortunately, you can only get that in Chi-town (*sob!*) Someth9ing else that is good: Faygo's Frosh. Now only available in my local supermarket in sugar-free (ick!), it is a beverage for the gods. As far as an Official Beverage of the Fans of TMBG, I say the Citrus Obligation: Orange juice, Lemonade, and Sprite. Yum! Created by a friend of a friend. Oh, and as far as the TMBG commercial goes, maybe they'll put it on DAS? Hmmm? Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I'm doing things I've never done. Have pity on me, I'm the lonely one." -Slag, "Motor City" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970710023001.8899.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:30:01 -0700 (PDT) From: Peter Hanink Subject: Re: TMBG: This Coke thing, Listee drinks, etc. So we've gone from debating over arbitrary individual taste in songs and horn quota to even more arbitrary individual taste in colas??? Wow, that's great...what's next, red is better than blue!!! I joke because I care... Mr. Pibb is the Dr. Pepper of the proletariate. Uhhh, anyone who believes that you have to drink Coke to be beautiful deserves to be tormented by their inadequecies... The year 2000 skit on Conan last night was hella funny... no one answered me...is that linnell singing in that new squirt commercial... === "Tyra Banks recently said that if you were to see her without a bra on you would know that her breasts are real...If I saw Tyra Banks without her bra on, I would know God was real." Conan O'Brian _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970710031717.0066423c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 23:17:17 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: summer school sucks Hey, Well, after a LONG break from the list, I'm back. I've been really busy with Assembler stuff. But enough about me. I'll write more later, but I just wanted you all to know I'm back. I don't know if live chat is coming back with me. We'll see. By the way, has Insect Hospital been a hot topic lately? Or is that just a fictionous TMBG album? Gotta go do Assembler, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:30:42 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: TMBG: Drink of choice Message-ID: I've been reading the drink of choice thread for a while now and decided it was time to put in my $.02. I think coffee should be it. Why? Because of the song on Flood (Hearing Aid, I think) with the lines "More coffee for me boss/Because I'm not as messed up as I want to be". Well, that's just my opinion. Thanks for reading. Jonnie Coffman (Jon Misc) http://taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us/~jcoffman "When you're following an angel does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?" - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C4B0D4.1F34167F@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 02:52:20 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Drink of choice > I think coffee should be it. Why? Because of the song on Flood > (Hearing Aid, I think) with the lines "More coffee for me boss/Because I'm > not as messed up as I want to be". And we all know how much the johns adore coffee. C'mon, They have an entire T-Shirt devoted to it! And it tastes good anyway. Zaphodically- Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 03:01:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970710030129_-258869795@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Beverages, commercials Hello 41- Commercials- I must agree with Mr. Erik on the fact that Coke is cool for getting TMBG to do an ad. If you haven't found it, you don't want to badly enough. Beverages- I say for the "official" beverage, we go with anything decaf. As in "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head," which is for the undercaffinated, caffination is passe. For the official TMBG drink of the summer, I propose cherry lemonade. Or milk. Or rootbeer. Decaf is where it's at. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 03:00:53 -0400 Message-Id: <199707100700.DAA29389@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom Feelings Ok, here it is, my opinion on the Showroom: It ranks at the bottom of the list. It is not a BAD album, but if there has to be a ranking, this one doesn't cut the muster. Let me explain. SEXXY- pretty cool, but gets old and is pretty long. TMHFO- awesome, upbeat, and one of the best on the album. A positive effect of their inflation into an almost rock band. How...Girl- hmm... don't really like it. Too slow, or too little energy at least. I guess im just not into the material on this one. I do like the guitar on the chorus, tho. Exquisite dead Guy- cool. A return to the death imagery that is so prevalent in the other albums, and a nebulous meaning. It would only be better if it ended right after the "way I feel...about you" part. IMHO Metal Detector- pretty friggin cool. The electronic sound is more old-school, and the subject matter is delightfully geeky and outsiderish. NYC- hardcore rulage. It was my first favorite of the album, and I don't care if it is a cover. This is definitely the highlight of the album for me, and a good argument for their new style. Enemy- I like it, but hardly ever listen to it. I do relate to the duality and the self-deprecation in it, as well as the wordplay ("full bottle in front of me" -> "full frontol lobotomy", etc) Once again, the electric, paired-down sound is nice and old-school. XTC vs. Adam Ant- Evil incarnate. This is by far my least favorite TMBG song of all time. I do not know why they wrote this one, and why, after having written it, decided to put it on an album, of all things!!! I cannot explain how much I dislike it, nor can I justify myeslf. It just totally sits wrong with me, and really puts a bad stamp on the album for me. Although, i do like the music at the end... still, this is the death of the album. Spiraling Shape- groovimus maximus. If it were a little shorter (it does kinda drag on a little) it would be in contention with NYC. I like the contrast between the mellow verses and the hitting choruses.. i think it really parallels the subject matter... James K Polk- a very good remake. Educational too. Any song with a singing saw wins my approval, no question about it. Pet Name- despite what people may say about it, i like it. Its not very TMBG-ish, but the groove is undeniable. Graham's bass is outstanding (in a Barney Miller kind of way), and the story is the classic love-gone-bad song that we've come to expect and love from Them. I Can Hear You- good as a novelty, funny too. however, i just cannotlisten to it much. Might have made a better b-side, but it is an interesting addition. Bells- cool song, but gets annoying. I really like the words, and once the guitars kick in it is tolerable. However, the singign bells I can only stand every so often. Good climactic ender, but nothing compared to The End of the Tour. This is all fine and good, if a little short. However, the biggest problem with FS is what is NOT on it. The best songs recorded for the album didn't even make the cut. And i KNOW there is room... Sensurround- Probably one of the top 5 TMBG songs of all time, even if it were only for the breakdown. WHY a b-side? Certain People I Could Name- AWESOME! A true Linnell song, would have made a better ender than Bells, IMHO Reprehensible- Love it! It has a unique swingy/big bandy feeling, with the darkness that seems to have been eradicated from FS by the bright shiny yellow happiness of the other songs... Older- Primo, baby! How can you NOT put this on the album? I want to know WHO exactly chose XTC over this totally rocking, totally short, totally quintessential TMBG masterpiece?!?!?! argh.... alas, it is not even a b-side.. they are holding it out for the next album... whatever happened to the TMBG tradition of making LONG albums??? or at least ones with lots of material, if not temporally impressive.... In all, the shortnes of material, the absence of the darkness of the other albums, the omission of the other cool songs, and the inclusion of XTC vs Adam Ant take what could have been a GREAT album down to the bottom of the Giants heirarchy. Oh well, something has to keep Flood company :) **************** DISCLAIMER ***************** I do not dislike any of tmbg's material (except XTC vs adam ant). Please don't get me wrong. I like the album... just less than all the others. Long Winded in Texas, Kris ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C4B2C7.5FAC4345@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 03:00:39 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice and WHY FULL BAND? > (Kirsten is suddenly traumatized by images of her > friend Derek after drinking a triple espresso.. that was scary) > I think Im immune to caffiene. I had a.. I think they call it a Sledgehammer.. which had three shots of espresso and it did nothing to me at all. The worst that ever happened to me was I got a headache once from having too much caffiene. But no hyper-ness-ness. To make this a revalant post- Ive been wondering this for a while. Why, all of a sudden (it seems) did they go from a very synth album (apollo 18) to the full band John Henry in the first place? I mean, I know they wanted to try new things, but was there an impetus? And how come the people in the touring band werent included in the new full band? (I cant think of anyone right now, cept for Kurt "Cardinal" Somethin or other) I saw a yard gnome once. It didnt scare me. Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970710071540.006de424@fyi.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 03:15:40 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: #TMBG Page survey Hello. You IRC users out there...please fill out the survey on the EFnet #TMBG page. Just cause I learned how to make one and I want people to do it...non-IRC users can check it out too...you may like the disembodied head of Linnell...curious? go check it out...it is under the tidbits section! http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html Josh :) ------------------------------ Date: 10 Jul 1997 10:16:20 GMT From: "Royce M Lee" Message-ID: <01bc8d1b$831d4c20$85ed8bca@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: The Listee's drink of choice > Should be Coffee! Come on! Why get that measly bit of caffine supplied > by colas when you can get the real stuff from coffee! > Or Fanta. When I went back with Flansburgh to their hotel on their recent Oz tour, he bought a 600ml Fanta and some potato chips from a convenience store. -- Royce M. Lee Parvenu Design parvenu@b022.aone.net.au http://www.home.aone.net.au/parvenu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:25:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970710081723.051f0776@email.uc.edu> From: Heather Garver Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice At 04:46 PM 7/9/97 -0700, you wrote: >On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Doug Haas wrote: > >> I think that no matter what it is, it has to contain Crystal Pepsi >> and blue food coloring. I say we have an official soda, official > >Has anyone tried that Minute Maid blue soda? That stuff rocks! It turns >your mouth blue and everything. It's this un-earthly blue color. It's a >possibility...except that it's caffeine free... oh well. > Yeah, neato isn't it? There's also this drink made by Bacardi, that's really bright flourescent-like blue, really yummy, too, though I can't think of the name of it. But, I can have only seen it in Canada, it's a 'rum beverage' (i.e. wine cooler) and has almost 7% alcohol, which is high for it's type of drink, and may be why I haven't seen it in the US. ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:04:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970710090424_74558877@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: drink of choice Water! The drink of choice should be water. Its clean, its satisfing, and its the essential element of life. Drink the substance that was once on Mars. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970710092513.0074ab4c@uky.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:25:14 -0400 From: Bill J Kirby Subject: TMBG: Survey Results! Bongo said: > >I'm not Bill but I've been to his TMBG survey page and I highly >reccomend it. It's at: > >http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html dang, i knew i should have joined the mailing list sooner! when was this survey conducted? i could have helped push the number of votes for marillion from 1 to 2! (big difference, eh?) altho, looking at the bands page, there's a comment about 110 out of 118 people picking tmbg, and yet there are way more than 118 votes. how many bands were you allowed to select? or, better yet, anyone still have a copy of the survey around that i could look at? i'd really be interested in seeing all of the questions. thanks! -bk ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707101327.AA11392@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Beverages, commercials Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:27:56 -0400 (EDT) > Beverages- I say for the "official" beverage, we go with anything decaf. As > in "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head," which is for the undercaffinated, > caffination is passe. For the official TMBG drink of the summer, I propose > cherry lemonade. Or milk. Or rootbeer. Decaf is where it's at. The Johns would strike you down and call you a heretic!! ;) Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707101335.AA11413@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: beverages Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:35:56 -0400 (EDT) Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the #1 cola with a kick: Jolt! Double the caffeine, double the sugar! Heck, they even had bottles that sponsored Desert Storm, I wonder what i did with my bottle? It even helped a 180 pound 7th grader I knew win the 7th grade high jump even though he weighed 1 1/2 times everyone else! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:48:24 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Message-ID: On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > Has anyone tried that Minute Maid blue soda? That stuff rocks! It turns > your mouth blue and everything. It's this un-earthly blue color. It's a > possibility...except that it's caffeine free... oh well. Oooh! No! Where do you find it? Unfortunately I do believe that, being stranded here in Ohio, I may be unable to get my hands on it. But if it were an *official* TMBG listers' drink, we could invent an exchange program for it. You know, one can of blue soda for a box of Vivarin... Jen :9 'Incense, peppermints, a big can of Spam....' --Space Ghost 'The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.' --Douglas Adams ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707101502.AA11537@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: drink choices Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:02:32 -0400 (EDT) > except it should be a double iced espresso...that's a real man's > drink...in fact it should be a double iced espresso brewed in an > espresso maker with espresso roast with espresso grind so its super > concentrated and dissolves styrofoam cups... > I thought a real man's drink was a bottle of lighter fluid and a can of 10W40? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970710102847.0069ec80@computek.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:28:48 -0500 From: Chris Subject: TMBG: Insect Hospital Insect Hospital, as said by Flansburgh, was an album between the Pink Album and Lincoln. But, it was rejected by Bar/None so it hasnt been released. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:11:42 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Beverages, commercials Message-ID: On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > caffination is passe. For the official TMBG drink of the summer, I propose > > cherry lemonade. Or milk. Or rootbeer. Decaf is where it's at. I think if we mix all these things together we may have something. -Lani O:) "Curdling is a GOOD thing" lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:23:49 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: TMBG: Big Time www.tmbg.org Update Message-ID: Well, a new index is now functional at www.tmbg.org. New features include the Giant Arcade and new Discussion Forum pages. Check it totally out! We will be fleshing out some of the areas and making minor modifications in the weeks to come, so watch your head for falling lines of perl code. Suggestions and comments should go to . Enjoy! -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707101758.AA11708@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: RE: New Year's tickets (fwd) Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:58:43 -0400 (EDT) Hi all, this is what I heard from Ticketmaster: > Ticketmaster does not have any information about this event yet. Please > keep checking with ticketmaster.com or call your local charge by phone > number for more information. A good source of upcoming events can be your > local radio station. > > For events in Poughkipsie please call 212-307-7171 or 518-476-1000. > > > ---------- > From: Matt James[SMTP:mjames@greed.loyola.edu] > Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 1997 1:27 AM > To: cs.noeast@ticketmaster.com > Subject: New Year's tickets > > Hello, > I was looking under the Concert link for the band, They Might Be Giants, > and noticed > that there was a tour date listed for December 31, 1997 in Poughkipsie, > New York and > I was curious if it was actually on sale this early or if that was for > informational purposes? > I would like to buy tickets for this event but it seems like it might be > too early to do this. > Would I have to call Ticketmaster long-distance to New York or could I > order them in > my hometown or is there a toll free number to call? > Thank you, > Matt James -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:42:56 -0400 Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970710110654.27df4fb0@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Snail Shell Promo CD I found two copies of this CD on the web for $1, and shipping at $2.50 for the first item and $.50 for each additional item, which means I could get them both for $5. I saw this as a great business opportunity, seeing as I could make back at least what I paid and maybe a dollar or two more, but I'm too lazy. If anybody is interested, you can find them at . They have a lot of promotional CDs and the priced range from $1 to $4 in most cases. Oh, and for those who have been begging for it: Don't, don't criticize what you don't understand I've been tested with my time time and again I am sick of Sick of being nice 'Cause I've learned The value of human sacrifice There you go. -Chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970710182514.006658f4@pop.holli.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:25:14 -0400 From: Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton Ok, this is sort of stupid, but.. "Cabbagetown Cola"? "With a bottle in one hand, and another in the other..." Um, sure. ************************************************************* *Ryan47 *"I hate golems, taking our jobs." * *Ryan Hamilton *"We ain't got jobs." * *momoftwo@holli.com *"See what I mean? * *Not a mom of two. *"What's for supper?" * *Not even close. *"Mud and ole boots. HRRawrk ptui!" * * *"Millenium hand and shrimp, I sez."* * 0 0 *"M glad I've got a voice. * * 0 * I can speak up for myself." * * \ / *"It's time you fed your duck." * * ------- *"What duck?" * ************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:35:48 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-ID: On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton wrote: > Ok, this is sort of stupid, but.. > > "Cabbagetown Cola"? No, this is good...as long as it's cabbage *flavored* too. Mmmm...cabbage... -Lani O:) "blech!" lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707102053.NAA14475@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:53:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: cola We should have different versions ex.: a super carbonated one that explodes at one touch called the time bomb in your mind a spiked one called the cola got me high Here are some cool names for the cola (though I can't think of any special things): pieces of dirt your own worst enemy lie still,little bottle All jokes aside, I have no idea what to call it. ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707102111.OAA15287@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:11:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tapes Is someone selling a two volume set of tapes with They stuff on it? I would LOVE to get that, so someone please reply. ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:46:09 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970710204452_1656849601@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety >6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? Using the terms "big and meaty" to describe someone's hands really makes me sick. Anyone else with a soft stomach? TmbgManiac (the doorman) http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:41:47 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: tapes Message-ID: <19970710.204148.3582.0.erda@juno.com> From: erda@juno.com (k e h) On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:11:32 -0500 expo67@webtv.net writes: >Is someone selling a two volume set of tapes with They stuff on it? I >would LOVE to get that, so someone please reply. i would like a copy too. please send info. %keh the rabid unicorns are coming! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970710200833.007a58a0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:08:36 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Big Time www.tmbg.org Update At 12:23 PM 10/07/97 -0400, you wrote: >Well, a new index is now functional at www.tmbg.org. New features include >the Giant Arcade and new Discussion Forum pages. Check it totally out! We >will be fleshing out some of the areas and making minor modifications in >the weeks to come, so watch your head for falling lines of perl code. >Suggestions and comments should go to . Enjoy! Wow. That Living Flans Doll is something else. It's indescribable, you simply have to see it for yourself. But it's a shame that the non-Shockwave enabled people can't... say, I've got an idea. Why not view my little creation from the Flans-O-Matic? It's the next best thing to being there. Head to: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/flansy.jpg -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970711021604.0066a27c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:16:04 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: wrap-around? Listening to Flood as I did my dishes, I noticed the the song "Women & Men" ends just as it began, story-wise I mean. So it's kind of a full-circle type story thingee. Pretty neato, I thought. I dunno, just a random rambling. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970710202042.007ab560@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:20:44 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital At 10:28 AM 10/07/97 -0500, you wrote: >Insect Hospital, as said by Flansburgh, was an album between the Pink Album >and Lincoln. But, it was rejected by Bar/None so it hasnt been released. So, since this is being thrown around as the most likely title for the next album, is it going to be a re-release, or just a re-use of the title? We know that not all the songs that were on this album (which, strangely, no one seems to have known about until now) were released later, i.e. Foxy Doctor, so they could at least be thrown in with some new material. Or maybe this is just one of those jokes that They like to make, and this album never existed. Remember before FS came out, Flans, at a concert, said: "This next song's off our new album, Alien Autopsy," and everyone [well, some people] took *that* seriously? ARRRGGGG... They are toying with us! Who has angered the Gods!? -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:43:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970710224316_783779092@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. Hey there. Scott-type-person who mentioned OK soda...Do they still make that stuff? Do they only sell it in certain bits of the country? Is their 800 number still around? I've never seen the stuff, but it appealed to me in principle. =) The me being happy part is that I am currently enjoying tremendously the aural delight that is my boot of the Wolf Trap show. yayayayay. such memories. That was a much cooler show than I realized at the time. moosemoosemoose. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:58:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG: my .sig Message-ID: <19970710.225855.3966.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I was wondering that since I have a new computer and had to reinstall Juno if anyone has an old mail w/ my sig file in it... it started off with something like: Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA something and there may have been stars around it and there were two sections like favorite TMBG song and a fact and that's all I remember... maybe there was a quote? if you have some old mail from me then please send me this text.. thanks!!! Miscellaneous Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970711025046.0066e668@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:50:46 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital >Or maybe this is just one of those jokes that They like to make, and this >album never existed. Remember before FS came out, Flans, at a concert, >said: "This next song's off our new album, Alien Autopsy," and everyone >[well, some people] took *that* seriously? > That's exactly what I said when I first heard it. That's why I wrote to the list asking about it. As cool as it seems to have this "never- before-released album" flying out there, it just seems a little .... strange. Anywho, I think They're calling they're next album "Thing," but I've been away for a while. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5E46F.557A@ici.net> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 00:44:47 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. Mooseful@aol.com wrote: > > Hey there. Scott-type-person who mentioned OK soda...Do they still make that > stuff? Do they only sell it in certain bits of the country? Is their 800 > number still around? years ago and I called it multiple times to hear the ok manifesto backward.> > I've never seen the stuff, but it appealed to me in principle. =) > The me being happy part is that I am currently enjoying tremendously the > aural delight that is my boot of the Wolf Trap show. yayayayay. such > memories. That was a much cooler show than I realized at the time. > > moosemoosemoose. alright, here is all that i know about OK soda, and i would also like to clear up a bit of confusion that has arrisen since my last posting. They do not still make OK soda...when they did make it, it was really gross...actually for some reason it tasted different everytime you had it, thats not a good sign. The 800# was the coolest thing ever. i would call it all the time for no reason at all. I think that they also stopped making crystal pepsi and mellow yellow -- i suggested them for this reason. i was sort of being wise at the time. oh well, i guess it really didnt work out that well. ok, i think that i will go now. bye -Scott -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5E4ED.41F7@ici.net> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 00:46:53 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Insect Hospital > That's exactly what I said when I first heard it. That's why I wrote > to the list asking about it. As cool as it seems to have this "never- > before-released album" flying out there, it just seems a little .... > strange. Anywho, I think They're calling they're next album "Thing," > but I've been away for a while. > > Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) is there any word on when the new album is coming out? -Scott -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5BEE5.2448@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:04:37 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Article #2 > >JL:My main argument against it is I just haven't seen that much interesting > >work done using computers interactively. We've had a couple thousand years > >of culture where that wasn't happening - and that turned out a pretty good > >body of work. That's not to say it won't happen, but I guess I'm kind of > >old-fashioned. And I'm kind of old, at this point. > > Am I the only one who thinks that this is further proof of Linnell's > immortality/timelordiness??? Or am I just the only one who wasn't totally > against bringing this thread up again... Nope. I'm totally into the Immortal theory... that, and I think Flans is a Vampire. ...that means we could be blood brothers, 'cuz I'm a Vampire too... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5C112.2E6A@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:13:54 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > How can anybody say that John Henry is un-Theyness or a sellout. It is > truly what they are all about. I mean come on look at their concerts. They > brought back the conga line to the tune of No One Knows My Plan. It was > only a expansion of what they already had. The only difference is that they > had a full band backing them up. Idunno... John Henry is kinda an exception. It's not a typcial They album (A18, Lincoln...), but it's not as far off as They've been (FS). It's kinda in between. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:11:08 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: cub and They! Message-ID: As sad as I am that cub broke up, I'm totally excited that I finally got my cub kid's club package today. Do you know WHY? Well, I'll tell you. There are some neato pictures of our very own John & John (not to mention one of the Dead Guy puppet heads) in their little newsletter! Yea! Pictures I haven't seen before! I wish they were a little better quality -- they're just photocopies. Anyway, I just had to share my joy. :) -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:20:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970711012055_-790502787@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: BF5 on Download-a-Song! Hello friends, Check out this week's Download a Song: Ben Folds Five's cover of "Video Killed the Radio Star," originally performed by the Buggles, back when I was in Kindergarten. One may find Download a Song at: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN See you there! Larry ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:34:09 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707110534.XAA22618@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Unrelated post about and unrelated thing At 03:18 PM 7/7/97 -0700, you wrote: >Now the real song off John Henry that has to have something to redeem >it- Dirtbike. Now *THATS* the song I zoom on past. That and the >World's Address remix. That's it. I agree with Kevin about Dirtbike. It's just too slow and, well, boring. But after watching the video bootlegs a few times (which, BTW, are excellent!) I have fallen in love with the instrumental version with Linnell on bari sax and the tempo increase. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this song in it's entirety? Dave Simpson LotharCo da da da ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:51:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970711015159_1623063316@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... I'd like to start smething new here, something aside from cola wars and why you like the newer TMBG albums. I'd like to ask the question(s): 1) What is your favorite (that's one, uno, as in looking out for #...) TMBG song ever? Why? 2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? Why? Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5CB66.7309@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:57:58 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Cola > "That might be good."-TMBG. How about calling it Dreams Realized or > something? Or not... > Josh Nielsen. IMBS. I'm sure everyone can guess what the acronym stands for. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5CAE1.3EFB@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:55:45 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety > Okay. I just saw the Viva epsiode. I have never seen Them live before, > so I have a few questions. > 1) Did anyone notice that FlansburgH is left-handed? Yes. Just like me! He's also a Vampire. Just like me!! > 2) Why was Graham singing back-up? Is this normal? Sometimes. > 3) Does Flans usually tear the strings off his guitar at the end? I don't think so... that was an exclusive Viva thing. > 4) Why didn't Flans do the solo? Idunno...! > 5) Why does the drummer look so much like the other guitarist? Yet another TMBG oddity... though both those guys are no longer with They. > 6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? Idunno... never really looked that hard at his hands. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C5CC26.1910@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:01:10 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Peter Hanink wrote: > > I agree, coffee addicts of the world unite!!! > > except it should be a double iced espresso...that's a real man's > drink...in fact it should be a double iced espresso brewed in an > espresso maker with espresso roast with espresso grind so its super > concentrated and dissolves styrofoam cups... ...Sounds like grog. Any Monkey Island worships out there? > "Tyra Banks recently said that if you were to see her without a bra on > you would know that her breasts are real...If I saw Tyra Banks without > her bra on, I would know God was real." Conan O'Brian--Hahahahahah!! Conan O'Brian rocks! Down with Buffalo! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-191 ******************************