Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-192 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 192 Saturday, 12 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... TMBG: Drinx for noone, caffiene, WD40 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-190 TMBG: Giant Beverages Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Feelings TMBG: Why Full band Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... TMBG: MST3K Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Re: TMBG: MST3K Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT TMBG: OMLT update please Kinda-TMBG: TMBG and id software... TMBG: favorite song Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: MST3K Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT FW: NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. FW: TMBG: John Henry (none) NON-TMBG: Color Wars Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: TMBG TMBG: TMBG Dream TMBG: OMLT & JH Re: TMBG: OMLT & JH Re: TMBG: John Henry TMBG: TMBG ref on Sabrina Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: Drinks, etc Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: questions TMBG: Those People Who Died, Died Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:07:12 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Message-ID: Sitting here at 1:00 in the morning (CDT) looking for something to do, I got the post with the two questions I will now quit babbling and answer them. 1) My favourite TMBG song is "The Statue Got Me High". It's my favourite for two reasons: a) It's the 1st TMBG song I heard (knowing I was listening to TMBG) and b) It's the song that got me hooked on TMBG. 2) What could They do to make me hate them. I honestly don't know. I doubt that I'll find out unless they do something to make people hate them. I know that's a little vague but I'm worried it won't make sense to anyone but me. Jonnie Coffman (Jon Misc.) http://taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us/~jcoffman ============================================================================ "When you're following an angel Does it mean you have to Throw your body off a building?" - They Might Be Giants =========================================================================== On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 LePoopee@aol.com wrote: > I'd like to start smething new here, something aside from cola wars and why > you like the newer TMBG albums. I'd like to ask the question(s): > > 1) What is your favorite (that's one, uno, as in looking out for #...) TMBG > song ever? Why? > > 2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? Why? > > Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" > (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707110650.BAA23079@news.skyenet.net> From: "Willy Wonka" Subject: TMBG: Drinx for noone, caffiene, WD40 Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:57:44 -0500 The official drink of the summer, of course, is beer. the official drink of the summer for this list, given the tendency of TMBG fans to be still in prebuescence given the Tiny Toons deal, really ought to be something without alcohol... now, you are all squabbling over caffienated, noncaffienated, and i have to ponder: has noone heard of a line of rather caustic yet good drinks named Skeleteen's? The names range from D.O.A. to Brainwash to Black Lemonade, and they are all uncaffienated, and still they pack a powerful kick... some of the herbs they use in these things are the same stuff that go to power jet engines.... it's just great.. and if youre into the snazzy novelty of getting your mouth painted blue, Blue Brainwash (as opposed to red) gives you that effete.... it also has the odd capacity to colour certain body byproducts.... now, on the subject of caffiene, i am a diagnosed caffiene addict, i take pills four times a day, i have a complete immunity to any and all forms of speed, and i consume more coffee than i do water.... come to think of it, i dont consume much anything else.... on coffee, i drink it black with lloooooooooooooootttttssssss of sugar... and none of that fancy shit... just folgers for me, thanks... if i want to splurge, i buy kenya AA, an imported bean from africa, it kicks like a mule on crack. and did you know that theyy have done studies that confirm that WD40 helps arthritis sufferers? sounds corny, but apparently it works... i think to have a horn quota is crap... now if the johns put out a song with all horns, no singing, repitituosly droning out the same three bar rythm, four about twelve minutes, then you could complain about horns.... but they havent gone so psycho insane as to record, well, as to put out anything such as that. My copy of John Henry was stolen (what is the world coming to?! someone stole my john henry album??!! the inhumanity of it all!!!) and i cannot for the life of me even remember how Self Called Nowhere goes, but i doubt it was too long... even Spy, which contains the infamous we're-ending-the-song-no-we're-not-okay-now-we're-ending-the-song-haha-fooled-you-now-we're-ending-it didnt seem to drag on at all.... The whole thing works out to this: if the song is long, it's becasuse it worked to the johns long, if it is short, it worked to the johns to have it short. I really think they could give a crawling pink baby gorilla-of-jane-fossey about whether you disliked one song... i can see them now... in a room, you telling them your displeasure, and them givng one long "awwwwwwwwwwwww," and then their eyes turn red, and beat you to death with large cabbages. and uhhh... if you are going to have the drink alcoholic AND blue, im staying away from it.... .................................................................$$ ----------------------------NUTS! I'M NUTS!---------------------------- "OHMIGOD!! can it be?!!" http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9784/index.html It's The RecRoom FunHaus for the Damned!! waksmulski@skyenet.net ----------------------------NUTS! I'M NUTS!-------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707110916.TAA14962@hurricane.netspace.net.au> From: "Robyn Bowman" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-190 Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:46:18 +1000 Kevin wrote a critique of factory showroom. I agree with most of it, although I also like Pet name. My 2 year old daughter Hannah especially likes Exquisite dead guy although she can only sing the Bah bah dah bits. Christopher aged 4 particularly likes New York city. My favourite is Metal detector as it is up there with Don't Lets Start and Anna Ng as greatest pop songs of all time. Just my himlbe opinions and those of my children Best wishes from Robyn in Australia *********************************** (Aussie Sewing List Co-ordinator) mrbowman@netspace.net.au http://www.netspace.net.au/~mrbowman/index~1.htm *********************************** ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:15:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970711091508_558532749@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Giant Beverages I believe the Johns' themselves would agree that coffee should be the official beverage. (Have any of you seen Them selling bags of "They" coffee at concerts?) As for caffeine itself.... NO DOZ!! NO DOZ!! NO DOZ!! (AAAck!) Sorry, I'm a bit over-caffinated. BTW --- is anyone on the list old enough to remember the short lived soda: "Ale 8, the soft drink of tomorrow"? Arwen "We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of the dream" - Willy Wonka ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:09:59 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <33C65AD7.1CD3@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TmbgManiac@aol.com wrote: > > >6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? > > Using the terms "big and meaty" to describe someone's hands really makes me > sick. Anyone else with a soft stomach? Me! Me! This is really off subject, but in light of Men in Black coming out, how many think Linnell could be an alien? That could explain the immortal stuff too. Maybe his song lyrics make perfect sense on his planet... -Mismi ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 14:49:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970711144905_1723719211@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry << Idunno... John Henry is kinda an exception. It's not a typcial They album (A18, Lincoln...), but it's not as far off as They've been (FS). It's kinda in between. >> I'm tired of hearing how their last two albums are "Un-They." Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is their band, right? And it is their music, right? So if they play the music, write the music, sing the lyrics and write the lyrics, wouldn't that make their last two albums "They-like?" Because, let's face it, if it wasn't "TMBG-like" it would have to be some other band. I think what people mean is that they think it's "unlike the TMBG of old" or "unlike the TMBG I'm used to" instead of "un-They." I'm still baffled as to how you can look at someone's work, and the work they've put into it, with the recording and the writing and the singing, and say "Oh, that's unlike you." Whoa...didn't they just do it their way? How can that be unlike them? Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:22:10 -0400 Message-Id: <199707111922.PAA13072@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Feelings SNIP- FS comments > >Hey, aren't you the guy who taped the KU show? I was there- we met. I >was the girl in the coffee-cup shirt and the hat. > >Anastasia Yes, that would be me. I remember meeting you at the show. I have since built a bootleg empire from my one measly tape... pretty cool, huh? :) You can check it out at http://centum.utulsa.edu/~MAXWELLKD/www/boot.html > > > >_____________________________________________________________________ >Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:34:24 -0400 Message-Id: <199707111934.PAA13389@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Why Full band I, too wondered what happened between Apollo and JH... what brought on the transformation? So I called up Flans ont he phone one day and asked him. (Ok, not really. I spent 6 months of my life pestering my way through 4 different PR companies to beat an interview out of Them, and Flans eventually called ME, but thats a long story) ANYWAY, this is the story, according to Flans: ME: How did the stylistic change come up between Apollo 18 and John Henry? FLANS: Actually, we had just gotten off the road promoting Flood for about a year when we started Apollo 18, and we were happy to stay at home and work on our MIDI files and write the songs. When we actually went back out on the road to support the record, it seemed like we needed to spice up the show. We flirted with the idea of working with a saxophone player and maybe a percussionist. All of that seemed a little but fussy compared to diving into the live band thing. So we just took it on as an experiment, we didn't really know how well it would work, and how positive the response would be from our audience. Almost right away we realized that int he venues we were playing, which were larger venues we really benefitted from having a full band. We started out so slow and in such small places that the fact that we were working with a drum machine only meant that people could hear the words well, and they could understand the songs and understand the melodies. All of those audiences in those audiences in those early years were pretty much cold to what we were doing, so every little bit helped. If they could understand the song as they were hearing it for the first time, that was actually really positive. Now that we're making records, a lot of the people in the audience are already familiar with the material, and that's not such a big issue. And a lot of the places we're playing are really large, and even if we were playing with a drum machine, they're so cavernous that they probably wouldn't understand the words anyway. So just having the musical power of a full band has been nothing but a positive thing in the live situation. It just means a little bit more decision making when it comes to actually recording the record. We have to think about how we're going to arrange the song a little bit more. But in some cases, like on the new record there is a song called "Your Own Worst Enemy" that is all electronic, except for a cello, but the drums on it are very electronic. I still find that there's something very cool about working in more than one style or one approach. ... and you all thought *I* was long winded! :) If anyone wants an audio or .txt copy of the whole interview, just lemme know and we'll work something out! Kris ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:39:45 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Message-ID: <19970711.154008.15694.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:51:59 -0400 (EDT) LePoopee@aol.com writes: >1) What is your favorite (that's one, uno, as in looking out for >#...) TMBG >song ever? Why? My favorite song is "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" because the words are so incredible. They're so far fetched, yet can't be disproved. And the music fits so well with those words. I also love the end music of this song. >2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? > Why? Well, nothing could make me hate a group I really love, but They could certainly do something to make me angry. One thing would be blowing me off at a concert or being rude to me (They've never done this to me of course). Something I really love about my other favorite band The Rugburns, is that they care so much about their fans. They personally respond to e-mails and they talk to their fans after concerts. After the last Rugburns concert I went to I shook Steve Poltz's hand (singer/guitarist) and got John Castro's autograph (bassist). I don't exactly expect John and John to do exactly this because the croud is a lot larger at their concerts, but They don't have to just disappear after They're concerts. -Evan P.S. Is anyone else here a Rugburns fan? Been to any concerts? ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707112045.NAA24278@mailtod-113.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:45:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: MST3K I was watching old episodes of MST3K (the Phantom Creeps to be exact) and Tom Servo said "The old clock on the wall says it's time for the Longines Symphonette." WOW!! Another They link. Maybe not. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:44:27 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: <19970711.134501.9694.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I have a theory about left-handed guitarists. All left-handed guitarists are destined to be great. Look at the list : Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, Kurt Cobain, John Flansburgh, Vlad here, and ME! Not all great guitarists are left-handed, but lefties are all great. Josh Nielsen On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:55:45 -0700 Vladimir Drakul writes: >> 1) Did anyone notice that FlansburgH is left-handed? > >Yes. Just like me! He's also a Vampire. Just like me!! >Vladimir Drakul -- >http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:05:09 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199707112105.QAA25317@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K At 03:45 PM 7/11/97 -0500, you wrote: >I was watching old episodes of MST3K (the Phantom Creeps to be exact) >and Tom Servo said "The old clock on the wall says it's time for the >Longines Symphonette." WOW!! Another They link. Maybe not. How is this a TMBG reference? Sure, They mention the Lognines Symphonette in Birdhouse, but it's not as though they created the Lognines Symphonette... Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C6C565.62515290@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:45:16 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:51:59 -0400 (EDT) LePoopee@aol.com writes: > 2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? > Why? They could release another album like Factory Showroom, only this time with Exquisite Dead Guy, Your Own Worse Enemy and two other previously available tracks. As well a mandatory minimum of 2 blaringly awful guitar solos in every song as a opposed to every other song. Then they could release every track on that album as a buzz clip on Empty-V and pretend that they're No Doubt. -- Lo, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. --Peter Gabriel -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C6CBE0.A5684168@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:12:43 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > I have a theory about left-handed guitarists. All left-handed > guitarists > are destined to be great. Look at the list : Jimi Hendrix, Paul > McCartney, Kurt Cobain, John Flansburgh, Vlad here, and ME! Not all > great guitarists are left-handed, but lefties are all great. Well, first, Paul McCartney plays bass. I wouldn't call him a particularly great bass player at that. If anyone can recall any great Beatles (or heck, Wings even) bass lines, set me straight. As far as I'm concerned Paul's piano work in the later years was always a lot more impressive and noticeable thsn anything he ever did on bass. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles as much, if not more, than next guy, I was raised on them, but um, Paul's greatness does not rest in his bass playing ingenuity. Technically, Paul can play the bass, but a really great bass player is Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes or the king of bass players, Les Claypool. Second you say John Flansburgh, but we all know that not true (before you mail bomb me, read this). John Flansburgh is not that fantastic a guitarist and as such hired a lead guitarist to play guitar solos. Jimi Hendrix I won't argue and Kurt D. Cobain I'll only raise an eyebrow at, but I'll question the very root of your very Lewis Carroll logic (you know: all eagles fly, not all pigs fly, therefore eagles are not pigs) and simply shake my head. OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): a correction on my last message, I meant to say "without Exquisite Dead Guy, Your Own Worst Enemy and two previously released songs." Now it will all make sense (he says knowing nothing will ever makes sense). -- If you leave me now, you take away the biggest part of me. --Chicago -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:44:56 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT Message-ID: <19970711.184457.8430.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:12:43 -0700 Ruprecht writes: >but a really >great bass player is Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes or the king >of >bass players, Les Claypool. DON'T FORGET FLEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970711223910.0066ec00@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:39:10 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: OMLT update please Since I've been away for a while, could anyone tell me where we stand on the whole OMLT process? I already e-mailed saying I would like one, but is the $ due soon? Thanks in advance, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C6C1DA.5441@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:29:30 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Kinda-TMBG: TMBG and id software... Hey, Someone was making the stipulation here that all left-handed guitarists are great, so i figured i'd present my hypothesis that all creative groups of people made up of two 'johns' are also great, examples... Flansburgh & Linnell - TMBG Carmack & Romero - id software hhhmm.. well ok, maybe just these two examples, unless anyone can think of any others... -jdm ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707112349.QAA03698@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:49:30 -0500 Subject: TMBG: favorite song Every TMBG album I get,all the songs have to grow on me (this takes only a few short hours) except one song. I bought A18 a few weeks ago and I LOVED Dinner Bell. I mean, I must have listened to it twenty-thousand million times (this is that one special song for A18 if you haven't figured it out). Usually, the effects wear off, but I still LOVE Dinner Bell. What I am trying to say is Dinner Bell is my favorite song. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C6EFD5.563A32F7@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:45:41 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > I'm still baffled as to how you can look at someone's work, and the work > they've put into it, with the recording and the writing and the singing, and > say "Oh, that's unlike you." Whoa...didn't they just do it their way? How > can that be unlike them? There are many factors at play here. One, They might be changing. And that might possibly be why FS and John Henry are different. Another, more maddening way, is that They possibly might finally be collapsing under the pressure of the label and other anti-artists to be more mainstream, thus selling more albums. This is what makes me mad about FS and JH. I hope against hope that they arent changing cause of others, but you never know. Im pretty sure Ill follow them even if they turn death metal. Im a psycho. Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C6F10A.8112F112@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:50:50 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K > How is this a TMBG reference? Sure, They mention the Lognines Symphonette in > Birdhouse, but it's not as though they created the Lognines Symphonette... Yeah, but who out there would know what the Lognines Symphonette is without birdhouse? Who out there still doesnt know what it is? *Kevin raises his hand* And I dont really care what it is either, I just like birdhouse, so dont anyone e-mail me with what it is. I find interps or meanings that other people have written spoil my enjoyment of the song. Im just creepy, okay? Hemispherically- Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C6F22E.C781BA73@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:55:42 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT > Second you say John Flansburgh, but we all know that not true > (before you mail bomb me, read this). John Flansburgh is not that > fantastic a guitarist and as such hired a lead guitarist to play guitar > solos. The thing that bugs me about this whole ear-bleeding guitar solo thing goin on with FS is that I once read in an early interview that one of the things TMBG does to make such beatiful songs is eliminate the things they find boring in songs, like guitar solos and really repeated choruses, and simple lyrics. And I always have this image of any band with a "guitar soloist" kinda guy whining to the rest of the band "C'mon, cant I please have a solo in this song, please? Ill pay you. Ill give you all my twizzlers, come on!" [can anyone say Schemmerhorn (or how ever thats spelled)] Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:09:56 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199707120009.TAA12148@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT >[can anyone say Schemmerhorn (or how ever thats spelled)] I personally had no problem with the man, but apparently I'm in the minority. Mitch ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 12 Jul 1997 10:51:18 +1000 Message-ID: <0010038B.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: FW: NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. ---------- From: Callaghan, Andrew 7274 To: P=oz.au; DDA.TYPE=RFC-822; DDA.VALUE=owner-tmbg-list(a)ussodyssey.ufp.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: ok soda and me being happy. Date: Friday, 11 July 1997 3:28PM >I think that they also >stopped making crystal pepsi and mellow yellow -- i suggested them for >this reason. i was sort of being wise at the time. oh well, i guess it >really didnt work out that well. ok, i think that i will go now. bye Check out the past two months DC comics... mellow yellow is back (and their ads are truly bizzare). If I remember correctly MY used to be a Coca-Cola drink... I don't know for sure if it still is however. As for the drink of choice, I have to say that anything with the words "coffee" and "ice" in it at the same time is wrong. Coffee should be black, and hot, and lotsa sugar, and hot, maybe even with some froth and chocolate sprinkled on top, and HOT! Andrew - lovethecaffine,gottahavecaffine,givemecaffine ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 12 Jul 1997 10:51:20 +1000 Message-ID: <0010038C.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: FW: TMBG: John Henry ---------- From: Callaghan, Andrew 7274 To: P=oz.au; DDA.TYPE=RFC-822; DDA.VALUE=owner-tmbg-list(a)ussodyssey.ufp.org Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Date: Friday, 11 July 1997 5:31PM Vlad, the Happy Vampire wrote: >Idunno... John Henry is kinda an exception. It's not a typcial They alb >um (A18, >Lincoln...), but it's not as far off as They've been (FS). It's kinda in > between. Well, umm, there's only been 4 albumns previous to JH (not including MiscT). I know that they've been around for a long time, and there is a definate tmbg "sound", but when two creative forces of the talent of the Johns are together, it's extrodinarily rare for the kind of harmonious songwriting to take place that these two boys are managing (don't believe me... take a listen to the beatles later works, esp the White album... many styles fighting together there) Over the course of the past 10+ years their style has subtly changed with each release. They had a much "glossier" style with Lincoln than the Pink albumn. Flood drew howls of protest because of *gasp* a cover song A18 actually didn't raise too much ire from fans as it tended to return (slightly) back towards Lincoln, but the biggest change to date (by far) was definately with the release of John Henry. Why did this happen? I'm glad I asked... From the start the Johns have been experimentors when it comes to music. Maybe, and this is pure conjecture, feel free to disagree with me (I'm sure most of you will), but maybe They felt that their personal exploration of music had gone just about as far as it could with just the two of them (this is kinda proven by the existance of Monopuff... once again a new avenue for exploration of music). This exploration has grown with the release of FS, as the John's play with the different toys that a full band has to offer (not to mention singing saws) Anyway, that's just my opinion Andrew C - Flame On ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 20:54:14 -0400 Message-ID: <19970711.210051.3662.0.erda@juno.com> From: erda@juno.com (k e h) > OMLT process? whats that? ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:32:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970711213246_-857238834@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: Color Wars >Wow, that's great...what's next, red is better than blue!!! Actually, IMHO, green is better than red or blue... :) ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:47:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970711214740_473620022@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry In a message dated 97-07-11 20:34:35 EDT, kmcguire@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kevin McGuire) writes: << Im pretty sure Ill follow them even if they turn death metal. Im a psycho. >> That might be good. Who can say what's wrong or right? Nobody can. Stompbox sounded like a step in that direction to me. Yeah, and Spiralling Shape is about drugs for sure........They must love drugs...........and what about the title "Metal Detector".......note the use of the word METAL.........meaning HEAVY METAL!!!!! Don't you see??? They are obviously trying to hint to us that They are looking for a new style of music. Rock on. {{{I've only slept 20 hours in the last 2 weeks. Can you tell???" AnnA "I'm not done and I won't be till my head falls off." We all know what they're talking about. Perverts. NOTE: everything in this post besides the no sleep part does not reflect my opinion. I had nothing to do with it. ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:32:39 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Message-ID: <19970711.214800.4374.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> I was watching a really stupid show on ABC (it was TGIF) on Friday at 9:00 p.m. It was called "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch." Sabrina's uncle Monty came over for Christmas dinner, and Sabrina (Clarissa, from Nickelodeon) asked him to tell the story of his life. Monty said, "I was born in a lighthouse..." That's as far as he got... No more TMBG refferences in the show. -- Dave (Hutch) P.S.-- I think Cub sang the theme song for Clueless, which was on right after Sabrina!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:47:59 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Dream Message-ID: <19970711.214800.4374.1.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> I never thought I would get so obsessed with Them to have a TMBG dream. But I did... There was a concert in Cincinnatti, OH, and it started at 5:00p.m. (a strange hour to start!). I was working late, and it was already 5:15. Also, I was going to get down there by plane. It was very stressful, and I was calculating that the opening band would be till 6:15, the plane would arrive in Cincinnatti at 6:00, etc. It was very stressful, and I was glad to wake up, even though I didn't get to see Them. -Dave H. P.S. WHAT IS LOTHAR.CO? LotharCo? Huh? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970712014819.006764e0@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:48:19 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: OMLT & JH >> OMLT process? > >whats that? OMLT = Official Mailing List T-shirt. Orders were taken a good long time ago. Was Nicole the Wonder Nerd in charge? No, I think not. Someone, please help me! I need/want the shirt very bad. :^) On another topic, John Henry is quickly becoming my most fav. They album. It's still sitting pretty at #2, behind A18. Did the style change? Yea, but I loved it nonetheless. I don't like TMBG for they're style but rather for they're content: great and "different" lyrics, extremely hummable melodies, and the great chemistry between the Johns. I always smile when I talk to people about Them, no matter if they happen to be a They-hater or not. The whole appeal of TMBG for me is the fact the the Johns seem like two average guys: just friends having a good time doing what they love to do - make music. Forgive my preachiness, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C719B0.947CC871@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 22:44:16 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT & JH > OMLT = Official Mailing List T-shirt. Orders were taken a > good long time ago. Was Nicole the Wonder Nerd in charge? > No, I think not. Someone, please help me! I need/want the > shirt very bad. :^) It was Christi587@aol.com I think. Anyway, she was/is the OMLT goddess and her shoes were/are comic geniuses. And, I designed the design on the back. I think shes still on the list. Im pretty sure. Actually, I have no idea. and that e-mail addy might not be right either. Uselessly- Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C71ABF.59945E90@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 22:48:47 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > That might be good. Who can say what's wrong or right? Nobody can. Stompbox > sounded like a step in that direction to me. I thought that one day while listening to stompbox... what if TMBG turned Heavy metal? Since I was listening to Stompbox at the time I thought that TMBG would be the best Heavy metal artists/noisemakers around. I think They should do some more songs like Stompbox and Dig My Grave. Id like it alot. Although, as I remember, quite alot of people out there dont care for those two songs. Epidermally- Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707120326.WAA02864@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: TMBG ref on Sabrina Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 22:17:48 -0500 It;s not a stuoid show! Tv's Frank writes it! NE WAYZ, I heard the "born in a lighthouse" thing too. maybe it's becoming a whole intertwined MST3K-TMBG-Sabrina thing. Trillian ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:57:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Jul-97 Re: TMBG: Viva Variety by Joshua D Nielsen@juno.co > are destined to be great. Look at the list : > Jimi Hendrix - dead > Kurt Cobain - dead > Paul McCartney - played bass, was dead during 1967. > John Flansburgh - er, they didn't tell you? :) are you sure that's something you want? :) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 00:01:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712000116_-2080015458@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Drinks, etc >> Well, > all i have to say is COCA-COLA >SUCKS!!! LET US ALL BUY PEPSI PRODUCTS > FROM >NOW ON!!! =) before you go and buy pepsi, let >me remind you that pepsi is now running a >commercial in Europe featuring the Spice Girls, >whereas Coke has had TMBG and Soul COughing. >so, PEPSI SUCKS!!! LET US ALL BUY COKE PRODUCTS >FROM NOW ON!!! I would suggest Mountain Dew, or Dr. Pepper, but we all know what companies they are manufactured under, grr. I'm quite fond of the generic-grocery-brand Loeb cola out of Canada.:) Any Canadians here an back me up on this, I think. This stuff is superb. If you can't make it to Canada, first of all, shame on you, and second, 2 words. -- Kool Aka. >But, I can have only seen it in Canada, it's a >'rum beverage' (i.e. wine cooler) and has >almost 7% alcohol, which is high for it's type >of drink, and may be why I haven't seen it in >the US. Oh, yep. :) The girls that got me into that Loeb cola stuff we drinking those too.:) >Or let's just invent our OWN cola. Then it could >even have a They-esque name. Some Drano, some OJ... wait, that's so very {Heathers}. :D Let's just bottle some tap water and drop blue food coloring in it so the mummies will give in to the kiddies begging 'cause it's blue. I know how these things work. I have a little sister. Or, frappe some Ben + Jerry's. :9 Hee hee.. I know Kay would like that idea. ::big wink to Kay:: Lingradansburgh. Flinnanam.. Flansell. "Large Walking Beer on the Pink Album". Alright, no. Howboooot... "NOT a 'Glass Of Milk' ". Heh heh. "Soda Bullets of Pure They". I get to work on packaging. Big blue bottles with kittens painted all over it. >I think that no matter what it is, it has to >contain Crystal Pepsi and blue food coloring. Damn. They minds think alike.;) >Should be Coffee! Come on! Why get that measly >bit of caffine supplied by colas when you can >get the real stuff from coffee! With cream >and sugar of course. [eagerly awaiting >"black" fans arguments] Hee hee, s'mostly what I drink.:) ALWAYS in my They mug of course. Usually black. Sometimes if I'm in a bad mood, 2 sugars. >6) Do Linnel's hands always look that big and meaty? I don't know, but I had a dream last night that I met him at the airport and he was 9 feet tall. Yikes! :0 (And also in the dream Flans sat at a table crying. Hm.) >no one answered me...is that linnell singing in >that new squirt commercial... I wouldn't know, all I listen to is non-commercial 'alternative rock' (but they do play TMBG) and CBC radio. And sometimes NPR. >When I went back with Flansburgh to their hotel >on their recent Oz tour, he bought a 600ml >Fanta and some potato chips from a convenience >store. .....what's a "fanta"?:) >On a funny side note, on Conan last night, In >the Year 2000 predicted that "In a shocking turn > of events, the Spice Girls marry Menudo and >their children form a Hanson cover band, and >life as we know it will cease to exist." Whoo hoo, that's it.:) I was gonna put it in my newsgroup sig, but couldn't remember the wording. sarah <-- accidentally inhaled too much hair-dye.. woosh! >:P linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "That guy who's stealing my parking space, he gets a kick in the ass." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C74055.4DFF@ici.net> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 01:29:09 -0700 From: Scott Daniel Howard Organization: Scott Daniel Howard Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > > I have a theory about left-handed guitarists. All left-handed guitarists > are destined to be great. Look at the list : Jimi Hendrix, Paul > McCartney, Kurt Cobain, John Flansburgh, Vlad here, and ME! Not all > great guitarists are left-handed, but lefties are all great. > Josh Nielsen > i beg to differ. I am a lefty guitarist, and i suck. -- Keep on keepin' on! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 22:18:42 -0700 Subject: TMBG: questions Message-ID: <19970711.223156.3814.3.catsee@juno.com> From: catsee@juno.com (Catie E DeGarmo) hey! does anyone out there know if Linnel has a wife or girlfriend? and one other thing, i just have to ask, does anyone out there besides me think that Linnel is hot? johnney 5 need input! luv to hear from you, Catie ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 01:46:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Ruprecht Subject: TMBG: Those People Who Died, Died Message-ID: On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Jul-97 Re: TMBG: Viva Variety by > Joshua D Nielsen@juno.co > > > are destined to be great. Look at the list : > > > Jimi Hendrix - dead > > > Kurt Cobain - dead > > > Paul McCartney - played bass, was dead during 1967. 21 if > > > John Flansburgh - er, they didn't tell you? :) Died in 1989, replaced by evil clone, right? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-192 ******************************