Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-193 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 193 Sunday, 13 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Those People Who Died, Died Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT Re: TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: Viva Variety TMBG: a dream. check it totally out! Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT TMBG: Re: mst3k, linny-movies/hot TMBG: Question #2 TMBG: Age TMBG: Listies' Drink of Choice TMBG: ICK. Another possible TMBG drink Re: TMBG: Listies' Drink of Choice Re: TMBG: Listies' Drink of Choice TMBG: OMLT TMBG: Time to answer my own questions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <33C75953.DC65E702@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 03:15:48 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Those People Who Died, Died > > > John Flansburgh - er, they didn't tell you? :) > Died in 1989, replaced by evil clone, right? Yeah, Flans was a martyr for the great lefty guitar movement, but, ahh, those tricky right handers, they created a decoy flans to keep the lefty movment down. Wait- IM A RIGHT HANDER! Thank god Im not a guitarist. The Musicless talent- Kev -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=====-==-==-=-====-==-=-====-==-=-===-=-==-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 03:26:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712032628_-1225430693@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT << >[can anyone say Schemmerhorn (or how ever thats spelled)] I personally had no problem with the man, but apparently I'm in the minority. >> Yeah...I had no problem with him...I mean, obviously he wasn't doing anything to intentionally hurt the and and it's music..in fact, he was more of a behind-the-scenes unnoticed type, and he was never someone you picked out of the band. (i.e., Hey, it's John, John,...and...uh..that guy on guitar...) I don't understand why people pick on him. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 03:37:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712033756_-823903139@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry I << > That might be good. Who can say what's wrong or right? Nobody can. Stompbox > sounded like a step in that direction to me. >> Actually, to me, Stompbox sounded like a hard ska song. Oh well, that shows you how jaded I am. Maybe. I don't know. I need to get some Cheez Ballz. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 03:46:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712034616_-1610454049@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT In a message dated 97-07-12 01:37:10 EDT, you write: << Second you say John Flansburgh, but we all know that not true (before you mail bomb me, read this). John Flansburgh is not that fantastic a guitarist and as such hired a lead guitarist to play guitar solos. >> Did he hire a lead guitarist? I always thought he was an expansion into the band, like the addition of drums and a bass player. I mean, sure, Flansie isn't spectacular at his guitarwork, but neither was any of the Beatles. And they were mega-popular. I see no reason for Flansie to hire someone to play solos, but if it's true and he did, then feel free to take pot shots at me and call me ignorant and just generally make me feel like I'm a nobody who knows nothing about anything. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:49:29 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: <19970712.013318.4526.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:57:15 -0400 (EDT) Lawrence P Solomon writes: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 11-Jul-97 Re: TMBG: Viva Variety by >Joshua D Nielsen@juno.co > >> are destined to be great. Look at the list : > >> Jimi Hendrix - dead > >> Kurt Cobain - dead > >> Paul McCartney - played bass, was dead during 1967. > >> John Flansburgh - er, they didn't tell you? :) > >are you sure that's something you want? :) > I think I'm willing to take that risk. FYI Paul started playing bass because John Lennon had enough guitars in his band already (I'm sure you already knew that). So technically, he is a guitarist who plays bass. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C784CC.4BE4@rica.net> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 09:21:16 -0400 From: joey groah Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety Not to appear to pull "new guy" rank but it's Eric Schemerhorn, lead guitar on Factory Showroom and perpetual vacationer, that plays base on the Viva Variety apperance, not the ever loveable Graham Maby. Joey, man with out a tag line ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:04:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712110455_160961287@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: a dream. check it totally out! ok, i'll cut out the dull bits. I go to a TMBG show alone. it's in a smallish place with not many seats. I claim a spot right by the stage in a chair with fluffy red velvet upholstery. before They are supposed to start their set, the disembodied heads of Linnell and Flans come floating onstage, except I know they aren't really disembodied heads, it's just some neato lighting trick and they're just holograms or something. so they float off the stage and into the audience, hovering aove the floor. as not-really-Linnell goes past me, I poke his nose and scratch his head. Not-really-Flans is carrying a Coke with a straw in it, and I steal the straw. Unfortunately, I woke up before Their set started...is there a Department of Dream Complaints to which I can direct this? =) moose. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707121521.LAA08908@one.net> From: "Doug Haas" Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:19:59 +0005 Subject: Re: TMBG: Lefty Convention Strikes A Chord + OAT > In a message dated 97-07-12 01:37:10 EDT, you write: > Did he hire a lead guitarist? I always thought he was an expansion into the > band, like the addition of drums and a bass player. I mean, sure, Flansie > isn't spectacular at his guitarwork, but neither was any of the Beatles. And > they were mega-popular. I see no reason for Flansie to hire someone to play > solos, but if it's true and he did, then feel free to take pot shots at me > and call me ignorant and just generally make me feel like I'm a nobody who > knows nothing about anything. I beg to differ. Look at some of George Harrison's solo work. I think he's one of the most underrated guitarists of that era. Hell, even Clapton asked him to play on a track. I don't think they really need a lead guitar. after all, less is sometimes better. THat's why the Beatles never let George have many solos. After all, Nirvana is about the most popular group of this decade. Maybe all these guitarists are not the best technical players, but they know their place and fill it quite well. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 10:06:21 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: mst3k, linny-movies/hot Message-ID: <19970712.100636.16630.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) >>>> This is really off subject, but in light of Men in Black coming out, how many think Linnell could be an alien? That could explain the immortal stuff too. Maybe his song lyrics make perfect sense on his planet... -Mismi >>>> hahhaaaa, my friend thought that linnell looked like that guy in A simple wish... >2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? > Why? rape me...anyways, someone should seriously collect all the answers to this question and then send them to the info club address... ahahahaaa, i bet they'd pay soem attention to that!!! >MST3K i've never seen this show (i still, have not been blessed with cable, not that i'd have any time to watch it though..) but have you guys all heard the band *Man or Astroman*'s song about it? Man or Astroman sings "interplanet janet" on Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks!. >>>> hey! does anyone out there know if Linnel has a wife or girlfriend? and one other thing, i just have to ask, does anyone out there besides me think that Linnel is hot? johnney 5 need input! luv to hear from you, Catie >>>> um actually he's married... and um, sure he's hot but the downside is that he's 38... which, i dunno how old you are but... htat's 20 years older than me so... "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN aka Joda: Yedi Master http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 10:12:25 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Question #2 Message-ID: <19970712.101230.3854.0.theRabidChild@juno.com> From: therabidchild@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) okay, i've decided to take this feat myself (getting all the answers and sending them to the info club) so... please send all responses to the below question to this address---> especially if you already posted your answer on the digest... >2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? > Why? "count the arms, the legs and heads and then divide by five" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970712163204.00671c90@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:32:04 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Age Wow, is Linnell really 38? Holy Moly! And since they were high school pals, that means Flansy is up there too? Call me an ignoramous if you will , but they don't look much older than 30. To me, at least. I would have sworn they were in there late 20's, very early 30's (31 tops). Too bad my dad didn't look that great when he was nearly 40. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 13:43:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712134352_592231142@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Listies' Drink of Choice I think the offical drink should be Black Current Tango. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 11:18:48 +0100 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: ICK. Another possible TMBG drink >Need a caffeine pick-me-up? It's in the juice > >MADELINE BARO, Associated Press Writer > >DALLAS (AP) -- If you think your java jolt has to come from a cup of coffee, think again. Maybe it's juiced-up OJ you're >craving. > >That's right, you can get Juiced -- orange juice with a caffeine kick. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:43:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Listies' Drink of Choice Message-ID: that stuff is disgusting! besides, I've never seen it in the U.S. and if you can't find it in New York, I don't think it should be the drink. On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 MrShow@aol.com wrote: > I think the offical drink should be Black Current Tango. > ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 15:56:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712155637_-57182846@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Listies' Drink of Choice >that stuff is disgusting! besides, I've never seen it in the U.S. and if >you can't find it in New York, I don't think it should be the drink Ok ok I admit that I've never tasted it. But I was watching this show where they showed the best commercials of the year and one was from Tango in Britian and it was by far the best one in the bunch. So Iike everyone else I base my opinions on what TV shows me. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970712120432.006e4194@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 13:19:47 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: OMLT >OMLT = Official Mailing List T-shirt. Orders were taken a >good long time ago. Was Nicole the Wonder Nerd in charge? Not as far as she knows, no. :) It's Christy the OMLT Goddess's job. >hey! does anyone out there know if Linnel has a wife or girlfriend? Shhhh! *nicole looks around nervously* You'll send poor Christy back over the edge. :) Linnell has been married since February of this year, to a woman named Karen. Some listies say that they've seen Karen in the company of Robin (Flans's wife) at shows. --nicole the wonder nerd p.s. I emailed the list from work... did it not get through or something? Was it because it didn't recognize my work address? *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 23:22:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970712232203_-1292620341@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Time to answer my own questions I guess I'll answer my own questions now (kind of hypocritical to ask questions and not answer them) 1) My favorite TMBG song is "Turn Around." I love the lyrics, the tune, the images I get of a dead guy using a telephone and the ghost of a dance instructor playing a xylophone. And when everybody's singing the last verse, it makes me think of a chorus line and a Broadway musical. I don't know why. 2) The thing that would make me hate TMBG is if they turned into a heavy metal band with trite lyrics and a lot of screaming or if they waited till they were all washed up and non-talented before they quit (not like that will ever happen.) Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-193 ******************************