Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-194 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 194 Monday, 14 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: Download the COKE commercial now! Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: Mrs. Train Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Re: TMBG: MST3K Re: TMBG: Question #2 Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Re: TMBG: Those People Who Died, Died Non-TMBG: Attention Amy Greenlese! Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... non TMBG: Dave Simpson Re: TMBG: Those (are) People Who Died, Died + OAT TMBG: Ageless Johns Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape TMBG: birthdays TMBG: Sabrina the Teenage Witch Re: TMBG: birthdays TMBG: Re:graham/eric? TMBG: SEXXY Remixes Promo CD Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:30:25 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: TMBG: Spiraling Shape Message-ID: Sitting here at a little after 4am listening to Spiraling Shape and waiting for a file to finish downloading, I thought that maybe Spiraling Shape might be about love. Anyone else ever think that? Jonnie Coffman (Jon Misc.) http://taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us/~jcoffman ============================================================================ "When you're following an angel Does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?" - They Might Be Giants =========================================================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C8A03C.2BC7@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 02:30:47 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Download the COKE commercial now! "Download the COKE commercial now!" ...thats what I'd be saying to you if one of us had a copy of it. But of course we don't. I've been following most of the struggle to get a copy of the commercial. I saw a post from someone here who contacted Coke and supossedly they confirmed it was John and John but they basically said there's no way in hell they'd ever send a copy to anyone. There was some talk about contacting radio stations and searching for it there. I know all that. What I don't know is what did this thing sound like? Is there anyone here who heard more than half of it? It was a radio commercial only right? -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8nmCPcq00WB=03EJQ0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 10:32:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jul-97 TMBG: Spiraling Shape by "Jon Misc."@taurus.oursc > Sitting here at a little after 4am listening to Spiraling Shape > and waiting for a file to finish downloading, I thought that maybe > Spiraling Shape might be about love. Anyone else ever think that? I used to... back when I was lonely and bitter. :) it's something everyone wants to try, and then turns out to not live up to your expectations when you finally try it... of course, that interpretation went out the window for me about 2 months ago, so..... I think the line "Nobody knows what it's really like, but everyone says it's great" really sums it up - those who are in love cannot describe what it is or why it is, but it's this wonderful thing... I have to agree. and those not in love see those who are and only see the good things, but may become disillusioned with it when they "fall," as said in the first verse... it's an interesting interpretation, but one I can't really agree with anymore. ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:26:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970713112631_-790218872@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Mrs. Train I know my posts are few and far between... and many are probably glad of it. But recently I have been listening to the middle tracks of Back to Skull (Ondine, Hotel Detective, and Mrs. Train). I adore all of these tracks, but I'm going to talk about Mrs. Train. Are there any theories on what this is about? I think maybe it's about marriage.. you know.. Linnell married fairly late, but how he was just waiting for the absolute right time when he knew he wouldn't regret it. When he finally takes her hand.. Maybe I'm just insane. Also! Sometimes, on the missing head part, you hear a slight "s" sound at the end of head that doesn't seem to fit.. what is this? that's my junk for the month. Heather ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970713170315.00664f3c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 13:03:15 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train > Also! Sometimes, on the missing head part, you hear a slight "s" sound >at the end of head that doesn't seem to fit.. what is this? Well, if anyone's ever seen or listened to Starlight Express (it's a musical) they do something very similar in the song in Engine of Love. It's supposed to be the steam escaping from the train. They sing it like "Sssssssssssssteam!" So maybe in Mrs. Train it's the same idea? Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:30:23 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Message-ID: On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 LePoopee@aol.com wrote: > > 1) What is your favorite (that's one, uno, as in looking out for #...) TMBG > song ever? Why? > "Evil Twin." This song enchats me so. It appeals to something within me that I want to blame all that's wrong in my life on my Evil Twin but I can't because she's really me. It's so right! > 2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? Why? > Beat their wives and any future children. But I know they never would, and thus, I cannot hate them (besides, Linnell's wife could probably take him on and kick his ass. But then, that's my opinion.) Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I'm doing things I've never done. Have pity on me, I'm the lonely one." -Slag, "Motor City" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:38:25 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K Message-ID: On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 expo67@webtv.net wrote: > I was watching old episodes of MST3K (the Phantom Creeps to be exact) > and Tom Servo said "The old clock on the wall says it's time for the > Longines Symphonette." WOW!! Another They link. Maybe not. > You know, I've been thinking about this. (Not really, I actually just came up with it.) I don't think MST is really out right referring to TMBG, as some have pointed out the general knowledge of such topics. But in this case, as much as I'd like to link my two favourite things, I have to concede that it is all probably very coincidental. It's not like the NBC Theory (especailly after that "Thrid Rock" Linell and Flansburgh thing. That was just too specific to be coincidental.) Both MST and They are highly referrential, and it just ahppens that they tend to refer to the same things- for instance, in one experiment, Joel looks at a scene and declares, "It's Constantinople!" And Tom corrects him by saying, "No, it's Instanbul, Joel. The song!" and they all start to sing it. (It went somethignn like that, I don't remember the exact exchange). But this, as we all know, is a cover, and Joel and the bots could just have easily been referring to the original, and probably were. The same goes for the Longinnes Symphoney (sp!)- this seems to be something that is common knowledge for people of that age bracket (at least, the obscure reference people), and thus, is most likely a coincident. I've also heard Joel and the bots refer to the '64 Worlds Fair, but I'd know it was TMBG reference if they had said sopmething specific, like "Eighty dolls singing, "Small girl after all,' " then we'd know for sure, but they didn't, and so my point is made... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I'm doing things I've never done. Have pity on me, I'm the lonely one." -Slag, "Motor City" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 13:56:43 -0400 (EDT) From: "idiotnot@visi.net" Subject: Re: TMBG: Question #2 Message-ID: On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > okay, i've decided to take this feat myself (getting all the answers and > sending them to the info club) so... please send all responses to the > below question to this address---> especially if you already posted your > answer on the digest... > > >2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? > > Why? Tour with Oasis or Hootie again...I don't think I need to explain. Please, stick to the respectable people to play with. I can handle Frank Black, Violent Femmes, etc etc --Jack, the most of the time lurker ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:00:14 -0400 (EDT) From: "idiotnot@visi.net" Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Message-ID: On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 LePoopee@aol.com wrote: > I'd like to start smething new here, something aside from cola wars and why > you like the newer TMBG albums. I'd like to ask the question(s): I hate list questions, but I'm gawd-awfully bored right now. > 1) What is your favorite (that's one, uno, as in looking out for#...) TMBG > song ever? Why? Um...currently Ailenation's For The Rich.....I'm a bit strapped for cash right now. I answered the other question already. I guess I'll rejoin the discussion....Da Dawg is back. --Jack, aka Bluedawg ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:02:50 -0400 (EDT) From: "idiotnot@visi.net" Subject: Re: TMBG: Those People Who Died, Died Message-ID: On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > > > > John Flansburgh - er, they didn't tell you? :) > > Died in 1989, replaced by evil clone, right? The clone's name is............ > Yeah, Flans was a martyr for the great lefty guitar movement, but, ahh, > those tricky right handers, they created a decoy flans to keep the lefty > movment down. We will prevail...oh yes....we will rule the world. > Wait- IM A RIGHT HANDER! DIE HERETIC!!! > Thank god Im not a guitarist. I'm not, either, but I play one sometimes. Hey, rup....still stuck at that school addy, bud....what happened to the AOL account. --Bluedawg ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 13:33:15 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Non-TMBG: Attention Amy Greenlese! Message-ID: I'm sorry to post this too the list, but a quick note to let you know that I havn't forgotten you and I intend to make that Space Ghost tape for you tonight! I'm very sorry that it's been so long! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I'm doing things I've never done. Have pity on me, I'm the lonely one." -Slag, "Motor City" ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: The Listee's drink of choice Message-ID: <19970713.145214.3342.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:48:08 EDT speaking of drinks that will keep you awake, howabout 'Prime' the only drink that refuses to make a diet version!!!and as an added bonus, you get three superconcentrated flavors of Mt. Dew like drinks...great to keep you up, and keep your hands shaking when you don't use them...May The Force Be With You On Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:30:38 -0700 (PDT) "'Lani' N Olson" writes: >On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > >> > Another suggestion for the official drink: Vivarin. >> >> Yeah! Vivarin's perfect! I cant believe I never thought of this >before >> [he exclaimed with a look on his face which said quietly "I have no >idea >> what Vivarin is"] > >Vivarin is one of those great little caffeine pills, generically >called >"Stay Awake" etc. > >Revive with Vivarin! > > -Lani O:) >Official Vivarin Spokesmodel (Why do they only let me use email?) >lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * >Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ >TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and >more! > _______________________________________________________________ > There's a place for those who love their poetry > It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' > -They Might Be Giants > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 13 Jul 97 15:34 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a thing there that can be found.... Well, I wrote about this once, but I don't *think* it ever got to the list, so I'm gonna reply again. If you've seen this already, sorry... > 1) What is your favorite (that's one, uno, as in looking out for #...) >TMBG song ever? Why? It's hard to pick one ultimate favorite, but I think maybe mine is "Ana Ng." No matter how many times I've heard it, my heartbeat always quickens when I hear those opening bars (duh duh duh duh da duh duh duh duh) and I get the urge to pogo wildly around the room. :) Plus, it has one of my all-time favorite lines: "They don't need me here, and I know you're there." Seems to sum up most of my life right now... > 2) If TMBG could do anything to make you hate them, what would it be? Why? Bite the heads off live chickens and other small animals onstage. I think that's about it... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 16:13:43 -0400 Subject: non TMBG: Dave Simpson Message-ID: <19970713.161739.3926.1.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> Once again... DAVE SIMPSON!!!!!! What is LotharCo? I'm sure the people here who don't know what it is subliminally want to know! WHAT IS LotharCo?????? Please answer in detail.... PLEASE! -Anonymous (it's not me!) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 16:49:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Ruprecht Subject: Re: TMBG: Those (are) People Who Died, Died + OAT Message-ID: On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, idiotnot@visi.net wrote: > Hey, rup....still stuck at that school addy, bud....what happened to the > AOL account. > > --Bluedawg That was pretty low. But what do mean by "stuck" and "still" I just got this addy 3 months ago and I much prefer to my two previous resources (AOL and Juno). Besides, we all know that IdiotNot used to be an aol address used for political debate and your own splurting of conservative views. While were on the subject of AOL, could every AOL user go into member options and change their quoting style from AOL to internet? Thank you. AOL style quoting is frankly rather deceiveing and annoying... OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): So I was at my ex's graduation open house and myself and a group of people (most of which have taken more kinds of drugs than I can count on my fingers, though I am not exactly of their group) were sitting on some grass under a tree and I just said out of nowhere "I'm older than I've ever been and now I'm even older." Beside the point that happenings such as open houses make me feel that way, everyone thought I was really deep and I could only smile to myself. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970713135958.00735f50@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:04:51 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Ageless Johns >i've never seen this show (i still, have not been blessed with cable, not >that i'd have any time to watch it though..) but have you guys all heard >the band *Man or Astroman*'s song about it? MOA? didn't write a song *about* MST3K, they simply covered the theme song. (They did a darn fine job of it, too.) And yes, MOA? does rock, and I recommend them to TMBG fans. :) They're *completely* dissimilar to TMBG, but they have the same sort of understated, tongue-in-cheek humor and the same way of simultaneously embracing and mocking their genre. >okay, i've decided to take this feat myself (getting all the answers and >sending them to the info club) Why? Why does this need to be done at all? This sounds like a particularly silly and pointless stunt to get attention. Come on, people, do you honestly think the Johns want to know what it'd take to get us to hate them? >Wow, is Linnell really 38? Holy Moly! And since they were >high school pals, that means Flansy is up there too? Yup. Mr. Flansburgh turned 37 on May 6. :) > Call >me an ignoramous if you will , but they don't look much >older than 30. To me, at least. I would have sworn they >were in there late 20's, very early 30's (31 tops). You are not alone in this observation. Linnell has not aged appreciably in the last 10 years. (This is one of the reasons why many of the listies, myself included, believe that he is actually an Immortal...) Heck, I vaguely recall someone on this list taking a survey of his friends and reporting that one of them pegged Linnell as a 15-year-old. (!) (He was 36 or so at the time.) I don't think he looks quite THAT young, but it's still an interesting observation. Flans has aged a bit since TMBG's beginning, but he could still easily pass for 5 or 10 years younger than he is. Incredible, huh? Rock must keep you young... --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:40:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970713174024_-1426971151@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Spiraling Shape In a message dated 97-07-13 08:12:53 EDT, you write: << Sitting here at a little after 4am listening to Spiraling Shape and waiting for a file to finish downloading, I thought that maybe Spiraling Shape might be about love. Anyone else ever think that? >> I think that "Spiraling Shape" could be about a number of things: 1. Drugs 2. Love 3. Psychedelic tie-dye hippie shirts. 4. A water slide 5. Disneyland's "It'a a Small World" ride 6. Water going down a drain. 7. Tornado As for explanations why, I have no idea. It's just my wacko mind going bereserk. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Comaplaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 18:05:51 -0700 Subject: TMBG: birthdays Message-ID: <19970713.181405.9358.1.catsee@juno.com> From: catsee@juno.com (Catie E DeGarmo) Hi again. Does anyone know Linnel and Flans' birthdays? thanks Catie ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 19:37:24 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Sabrina the Teenage Witch Hutch wrote: >I was watching a really stupid show on ABC (it was TGIF) on Friday at >9:00 p.m. It was called "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch." Sabrina's uncle >Monty came over for Christmas dinner, and Sabrina (Clarissa, from >Nickelodeon) asked him to tell the story of his life. Monty said, "I was >born in a lighthouse..." >That's as far as he got... No more TMBG refferences in the show. Hold on, now. Before you go insulting Sabrina the Teenage Witch (a show I've never seen), please remember the TMBG connection, and give it is due respect: Sabrina stars Melissa Joan Hart who was once the star of Clarissa Explains It All. Ms. Hart is a TMBG fan as evidenced in an episode of Clarissa. So Sabrina's star is a fellow fan. The show can't be that stupid, now, can it? :-) --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:21:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: birthdays Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Jul-97 TMBG: birthdays by Catie E DeGarmo@juno.com > Hi again. Does anyone know Linnel and Flans' birthdays? if the FAQ maintainer is reading this, please add it, because I think it's asked frequently enough... Linnell - 6/12/59 Flans - 5/06/60 ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:56:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970713235641_881631172@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re:graham/eric? In a message dated 7/13/97 10:03:21 AM, you wrote: >Not to appear to pull "new guy" rank but it's Eric Schemerhorn, lead >guitar on Factory Showroom and perpetual vacationer, that plays base on >the Viva Variety apperance, not the ever loveable Graham Maby. unh, i dunno if this was a joke or what (in which case i'll feel rather foolish) but it was 100% graham maby on bass at viva variety. eric schemerhorn was first spotted missing at that tmbg show in DC and has since been seen in the company of Paula Cole in late-febuary. when asked he said tmbg "burnt him out", his wife was pregnant and he was thinking of doing solo stuff. run (i realize thats probably more than anyone wanted to know) ~liz "hehe, i was about to say 'what a suprise to see YOU here' but then i decided that would be stupid of me"- graham maby, to us before tmbg went on at viva variety =} ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33C9A66F.6775@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 21:09:19 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: TMBG: SEXXY Remixes Promo CD So, I got my hands on a copy of the promotional SEXXY single: Track 1: Sexxy - radio 2: Sexxy - Tee's radio edit 3: Sexxy - The Warren Rigg Microwave Mix Now, I'm agree with everyone out there who doesn't like the microwave mix.. it's too long and too different than the original song.. but, the Tee's radio mix actually rocks.... it's techno-ish, like the microwave mix, but it's done way better imho... Makes me wanna get out my sampler and remix brian dewan songs -jdm ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-194 ******************************