Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-197 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 197 Thursday, 17 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Happy Mutants TMBG: BS (no, not FS) + TUP Re: non TMBG: Contact TMBG: Viva Variety Bass TMBG: Lincoln on vinyl TMBG: Conan outfits Re: TMBG: Conan outfits Re: TMBG: Lincoln on vinyl TMBG: Re:Kubrick Re: non TMBG: Contact Re: TMBG: Linnell & his guitar Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970716003930.0069ec90@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:40:33 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Happy Mutants >Hey, I just bought that book! I was in the bookstore debating between a >trash tv and cult film movie guide as it was the only one I've seen that >has Manos:The Hands of Fate in it and the Happy Mutant book since it had >TMBG in it. It's a cool book. Maybe I'll put the list of Happy Mutant >qualities up on here. Maybe later tonight. Could someone e-mail me with info on this book? I'd like to check it out (so to speak) but am too shy to ask the salespeople where it is. (I'm still embarassed from the time I went to Blockbuster Music and had to say "Hello, I'd like to listen to the _Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie_ soundtrack, please." The salesguy, who was about my age, tried *very* hard to keep a straight face. He did not entirely succeed.) Sooo... Exact title? Author? Where is it usually stocked? Thanx a bunch! >I live in Australia and i met this guy who hate TBMG because of the >american accents He's probably referring to JL's distinctive (if charming, to fans at least) nasal voice. Tell him that it's unusually nasally, even for us Yanks. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org #include std_disclaimer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 03:44:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Ruprecht Subject: TMBG: BS (no, not FS) + TUP Message-ID: I was walking down the street one day A man came up to me and asked what time was on my watch and I said Does anybody really know what time it is? -that's a song by Chicago, note the similarity to a certain song about whistling and then tell yourself it's a coincidence like I did... Or maybe ignore me because I'm posting at 4 am, give or take... TUP (Totally Unnecessarry Plug): I'm just wasting your time telling you all to read every last bit of my website, from my stories about paranioa and bovine and bovine-esque animals to the Slogans For Crack. You can find it at http://inca.de/user/ruprecht/ . Just be prepared for the first website you've seen with content since the last time you've been there. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:56:29 -0400 Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970716022745.27f7544c@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: non TMBG: Contact > Speaking of Kubrick, what are some other of his good movies besides > Clckwk. Orange, 2001, and Full Mtl. Jkctet? I really didn't think Clockwork Orange was so good, but that's probably because I read the book first. I saw the movie and shouted out loud "This is the most retarded piece of crap I have ever seen!" But I'm not attacking the movie, I'm actually praising the book. Read it! Kubrick's best movie? It simply has to be "Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" with Peter Sellers, James Earl Jones, Slim Pickins, and a bunch of other people I can't think of right now. It is simply one of the best black comedies I have ever seen. And on a TMBG note: I was at Denison University for a writers workshop. One of our projects was to write a synopis of a short play about one period in the life of Martin Van Buren. I chose 1844, and the play ended when James K. Polk appeared out of nowhere and took the race by storm. Another project had to do with the museum. We had to find a painting and write either a poetic description or a story about it. I found James Ensor's "The Assassination," which provided an incredible story, all evidenced by elements in the painting. Has anyone seen this work? It is really amazing. If you have the means, I suggest you go out to Columbus, Ohio to see it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://goatboy.home.ml.org/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:40:17 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety Bass Message-ID: <19970716.104019.3374.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) well, sorry for not qouteing, but...It was definately Grahm on the Viva Variety appearence, I've seen it Many times to make that mistake...so let it be settled, Grahm was playing on the Viva Variety appearence...May The Force Be With You ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:39:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970716124654.253f698c@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Lincoln on vinyl Hi I recently purchased Lincoln on vinyl, and my life is now slightly more complete. One thing though. I was expecting to find writing etched into the run-out groove of the record, like everyone else has, but mine seems to lack this. The record is a Bar/None Restless pressing, from the US. I remember someone asked if all Lincoln albums have this writing. I guess the answer is 'no'. Alex ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970716190953.00665c6c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:09:53 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Conan outfits Hey, I know I've been asking a lot of ?'s lately, but I'm just trying to get my TMBG info caught up since my break. What ever happened to those gold, glittery outfits and funky necklaces They wore on Conan about 6-7 months ago? Are those now part of Their touring show, or was it just a one-time thing? Thanks for tolerating me. :^) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:28:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan outfits Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > What ever happened to those gold, glittery outfits and > funky necklaces They wore on Conan about 6-7 months > ago? Are those now part of Their touring show, or was it > just a one-time thing? It was a one-time thing. I believe the network provided the uniforms for that show. That performance was very unsusual, as in addition to the new outfits for the band, it incorporated the full string section in the live performance (in very spiffy tuxedos, I might add). BTW, if you haven't checked out The Professor's Conundrum at www.tmbg.org, do so! -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:52:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970716165204_618056607@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Lincoln on vinyl In a message dated 97-07-16 12:57:18 EDT, yu108533@YorkU.CA (The Famous Mr. Klaw) writes: << I recently purchased Lincoln on vinyl, and my life is now slightly more complete. One thing though. I was expecting to find writing etched into the run-out groove of the record, like everyone else has, but mine seems to lack this. The record is a Bar/None Restless pressing, from the US. I remember someone asked if all Lincoln albums have this writing. I guess the answer is 'no'. Alex >> Yes, but what do these etchings mean???? From whence do they come???? And why??? Are they all the same???? ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!!!!!!! AnnA ------------------------------ From: KyeserSoze@aol.com Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:24:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970716232449_424951742@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re:Kubrick How about a little movie called The Shining? .. --Daniel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:54:43 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: non TMBG: Contact Message-ID: On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 tmbgdhutch@juno.com wrote: > I just saw the best movie. > It is "Contact." > See this movie, for it *is* the bomb-and-a-half. I most enjoyed Contact, but thought many of the flashbacks were quite barfy. > It even gives 2001 by Kubrick a run for the money. > Now that would be a feat. "Contact"'s not _that_ good! I mean, what other movie than 2001 could spawn so many parodies and references and jokes? Very few. A friend of mine and I have decided that any reference to 2001 is automatically funny, no matter how lame. Just one mentione of "Open the pod bay door, HAL!" has us on the floor...we are so sad. Stefanie "Dave" Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I'm doing things I've never done. Have pity on me, I'm the lonely one." -Slag, "Motor City" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:12:59 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell & his guitar Message-ID: On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Harlan Landes wrote: > >A while back, someone mentioned Linnell playing a guitar and > >that he was VERY, VERY good. So good, in fact, that they > >couldn't understand why he didn't play it more often. Can > >anyone verify this? > > Well, Linnell plays guitar in Dr. Klaw. I think if you listen to it, you > will understand why he does not play it more often. > Probably because he plays it so darned weird! He also did the guitar work on Mainstream USA, which really freaked me out the first time I heard it. I love his guitar work, though, because of its unusual...ness. Once I got used to Mainstream USA, I grew to love it... I mean, none of his songs on which he did guitar, like Big Big Whoredom and Mr. Klaw feature conventional guitar work, and that may not work with all songs. That, and he may not really enjoy playing the guitar. Maybe he feels that's more Flans's area and he doesn't want to infringe. Or something. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "I'm doing things I've never done. Have pity on me, I'm the lonely one." -Slag, "Motor City" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-197 ******************************