Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-199 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 199 Saturday, 19 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Confusion and Misprints Re: TMBG: Confusion and Misprints Re: TMBG: Confusion and Misprints TMBG: Re: Linnell and his guitar...the truth TMBG: tommy and call of the wild TMBG: Key Chain? TMBG: Viva Oops TMBG: Conv. with Bo Orloff Re: TMBG: Viva Oops TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... TMBG: New Years Eve, please Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good... (fwd) Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good... (fwd) TMBG: TMBG B-Day Card Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Re: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild TMBG: Marvin Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <33CF1EFE.C34AECE7@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 03:45:12 -0400 From: Emmanuel Donio Subject: TMBG: Confusion and Misprints Subject: Re: TMBG: Confusion and Misprints Message-ID: On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Emmanuel Donio wrote: > Oh, and someone wrote to the list and informed us all that he >recently purchased the "TDWDTN single." I'm sorry, but what the hell is >that? Why is it that everyone on the internet feels that they have to >abbreviate everything? Poor typing speed perhaps? The Devel Went Down To Newport ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 06:59:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Ruprecht Subject: Re: TMBG: Confusion and Misprints Message-ID: On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Sam Withrow wrote: > On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Emmanuel Donio wrote: > > > Oh, and someone wrote to the list and informed us all that he > >recently purchased the "TDWDTN single." I'm sorry, but what the hell is > >that? Why is it that everyone on the internet feels that they have to > >abbreviate everything? Poor typing speed perhaps? > > The Devil Went Down To Newport The other important information being that it is Mono Puff's first and only single from the album Unsupervised. Mono Puff being comprised of John Flansburgh and anyone he feels like jamming with, in case you didn't know. ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707181623.JAA20887@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:23:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell and his guitar...the truth In Mainstream USA, doesn't John sing "Could I have this last dance my darlin'? Could I have this last dance my dear?" Sorry if you already knew this, but I couldn't help pointing out. You can call me Marvin from now on. ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707181858.LAA10532@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:58:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild First off, on the Quik commercial with Tommy, who is sick, and his friends playing baseball, someone at the beginning says "Hey, where's Tommy?" to which I reply 'someone find Tommy We're out on the road'. It's fun. Now for my main point: we should create a call that we scream out in public and any other They fans would reply with a set reply ex.: first person says "I was born in a lighthouse" other They fans reply "My mother was the sea". But, this would give Them publicity (which They don't seem to like). On the other hand, it's a great way to meet other fans or stick out like a sore thumb and get made fun of. I'm a very self-destructive little boy. Call me Marvin ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Key Chain? Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:05:09 -0500 Message-ID: <19970718190508604.AAA136@wglodell> Did they make a TMBG key chain, that had the shape of the key with the teeth being the letters TMBG? or was i halucinating? I wanted to order it, but i cant find it in the newleter, or the web site now... did they stop making them :( -Wyatt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33CFC3E2.3624@rica.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:28:34 -0400 From: joey groah Subject: TMBG: Viva Oops I posted a few days back that Eric Schermerhorn played bass on the Viva Variety performance and have since been corrected that it was indeed Graham Maby. I was pretty confident that the blonde guy with the Van Dyke was Eric and the frizzy haired guy with glasses was Graham, mixing them up at the 8/16/96 9:30 Club show. Sorry about any confusion. This is the scorecard as I understand it now: Eric- no glasses, blonde, facial hair, well liked Graham- glasses, frizzy brown hair, not so popular Next you're gonna tell me Linnell doesn't have the glasses and tattos and Flans ever makes an apperance without his trademark turban and lucky dime. ;) Joey, wondering if Mike Leffel got sucked into the "Heros Reborn" Universe ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970718193849.006b6e08@fyi.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:38:49 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Conv. with Bo Orloff Hi! I assume probably half of you realize who Bo Orloff is. He started the TMBG stuff on the web a while ago and worked with the Johns for 4 years. Well he popped into #TMBG last night and had a few cool things to say. Check out the log on the #TMBG page in the Tidbits section! http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html Josh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0nnwxly00WB=1W2FI0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:17:53 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Oops Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Jul-97 TMBG: Viva Oops by joey groah@rica.net > Eric- no glasses, blonde, facial hair, well liked still not quite right. Eric - big frizzy hair, plays LEAD GUITAR, not bass. stopped touring with TMBG some time between 12/14/96 and 12/27/96. Did not appear on Viva Variety. > Graham- glasses, frizzy brown hair, not so popular nope. very short hair (now), but with a long bit in front. British, no glasses, plays BASS, and is really, really cool. Has been touring with TMBG since 12/30/95. Contributed bass parts on Seinfeld (at least according to Flans) what I want to know is who was wearing the glasses besides Flans at the 8/16/96 show? on Viva Variety, Mike Viola was and was playing lead guitar. but his hair is neither blond nor frizzy. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:31:34 -0600 Subject: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Message-ID: <19970718.143640.12422.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) How many of you guys think that J&J would still be around if it weren't for the success of particle man, istanbul, and birdhouse? I mean... I'm sure they would have gotten through John HEnry and all just because of the NEW and improved full band sound... but I mean, do any of you think they'll get discouraged in the future if they don't have another *hit* and just quit or slowly fade out? Oh yeah, i'm on my way to a concert so i won't be home to reply to your evil remarks about this question so...this will be my two day thread to fill the list.... "take it easy, but take it" GARY HALL!! =) "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970718213218.0066de74@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:32:18 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... I really don't see J&J as "glory hounds." I think They do it all for their fans and because they have fun. Course, that's just me. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970718213131.0066642c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:31:31 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: New Years Eve, please Hey, Does anyone know when the tickets go on sale for this thing? I'm talking about the Dec 31, 1997 concert in Poughkeepsie, NY. Being in Ohio and a poor college student, I'd rather not call long distance, only to be put on hold forever. And the Cincinnati TM office said I had to call Albany's TM location. If any nice NY TMBG fan would like to call and maybe find out for us, I and the rest of us interested in going would be greatly thankful. :^) The number is 518-476-1000. Please. Thanks, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:20:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970718181734_-725772105@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... > do any of you think they'll get discouraged in the future if > they don't have another *hit* and just quit or slowly fade out? Not me. I mean, with Factory Showroom, they only had one single and made no videos, which kind of makes it hard for them to have a hit. In fact, I think they'd prefer to lay low and not become a mega popular band. I think they'd rather just write their songs and play their music for their own reasons, not somebody else's, like record companies wanting them to make a more mainstream sound, perhaps? I don't know. Maybe it's the Jolt talking. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:28:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Ruprecht Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good... (fwd) Message-ID: On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > I really don't see J&J as "glory hounds." I think They do it > all for their fans and because they have fun. Course, that's > just me. I would have to disagree with that statement and say that John and John care about their fans only about as far as they/we pay the bills. If there was some way that They could write music and make records without needing to make money of it (and I think this especially applies to Linnell), I'm guessing they would take it (and FS would not exist, but that is another topic). From every interview I've read I've drawn the conclusion they they are not in this to please us, they are in this because it is a way to do what they like, and not have real job. I would seriously doubt that their motives have ever really involved rock stardom (or at least Linnell's) or that they particularly care about hits farther than it meaning financial stability and contract stability. But that's just the way I see it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970718230757.0067a9bc@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:07:57 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good... (fwd) >> I really don't see J&J as "glory hounds." I think They do it >> all for their fans and because they have fun. Course, that's >> just me. > > I would have to disagree with that statement and say that John and >John care about their fans only about as far as they/we pay the bills. You don't tour over 60% of the year and play over 1200 concerts in a 10 year span (I got this figure off of a Sound FX appearence) and care nothing about your fans. Just ask the groupies - the fans that TMBG know due to how many concerts they go to. And what about Dial-a-song? They don't make a penny off of that. That's something they do to give us something new and different. If your theory were true, they would have either made a charge for it or completely gotten rid of it as soon as they had a huge success with Flood. But they didn't. You make it sound like TMBG are nice to their fans because they HAVE to, or else we won't buy their records or see their shows or whatever. That's totally wrong. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:43:58 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970718214357_1995305504@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG B-Day Card Remember the song "Extra Savior-Faire"? I was at a drug store and I was looking in the card section and there was a birthday card that had a drawing of a woman at a table and the front read: "Happy Birthday to the man with Savoir-Faire" and then when you opened it up and it read: "Savoir-Faire is french for farts that would even gag a maggot" Crude but effective. Jake "TV movies, made for TV" -Papas Fritas http://members.aol.com/mrshow/index.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:27:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 18-Jul-97 TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of.. by I have no Name@juno.com > How many of you guys think that J&J would still be around if it weren't > for the success of particle man, istanbul, and birdhouse? I mean... I'm > sure they would have gotten through John HEnry and all just because of > the NEW and improved full band sound... > but I mean, do any of you think they'll get discouraged in the future if > they don't have another *hit* and just quit or slowly fade out? they'd still be around. they don't care about fame, fortune, and all that stuff. they're in it for the music. I'm guessing that even after TMBG are finished (which hopefully won't be for a long time), Linnell, at least, and maybe Flansburgh, will continue to make their livings by making music. It's what they love to do. ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:52:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970718235207_-22925686@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild Marvin, as awful and pathetic robot as you are, that is a pretty good idea. We all know how huge you mental capacity is. Or, at least, we all should. ------------------------------ From: Dekadetia@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 00:05:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970719000502_2092224109@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Marvin Just wanted to say... I love Marvin! What a great depressed guy! HE'S YOUR PLASTIC PAL WHO'S FUN TO BE WITH!!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-199 ******************************