Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 201 Monday, 21 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... TMBG: OMLC TMBG: New video comp and other stuff TMBG: Sabrina/Clarissa Explains It All TMBG: MTV and TMBG TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Mini-Disc TMBG: Then Promo TMBG: Leader Skit, Whistling In The Dark Re: TMBG: Any Space Ghost News? TMBG: Put DAS through the Flanger, John... TMBG: Bootleg List TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: A proposal for all of you kind-hearted Giant fans out there Re: TMBG: SEXXY video Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: TMBG chess TMBG: Tiny Toons reminder. Re: TMBG: SEXXY video Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: Hoo-ray! Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:29:47 -0600 Subject: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... Message-ID: <19970720.003018.16334.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) I think that in 8 days we should have a celebration. First off because it's gonna be lincoln;s birthday (on IRC) and secondly to honor JonBob (who i just recently found out is the man behind www.tmbg.org) Cuz, well he;s just that kewl... anyone with me? "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:24:15 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLC Message-ID: <19970720.003018.16334.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) >Was there any progress in the discussion of the OMLC? Was it decided to >be too rediculous a concept? Fill me in. well, the problem was that there weren't enough people out there willing to help. So, with just a mere few of the list willing to do anything in the way of getting this thing going we decided it was not worth it . "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970720143543.006bc0c0@fyi.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:35:43 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: New video comp and other stuff First off, to Jordan(TMBgirl)...sure...a celebration sounds fun to me :) I was gonna do something for Linc's birthday on IRC. Second, I was thinking...we would all love it if Elektra came out with a new video compilation for the videos from elektra era. I know the idea has been tossed around...I believe the Johns have mentioned it. I was thinking...would some kind of write-in type campaign be helpful? writing to elektra or TMBG...I dunno, it may be stupid...but it would be so cool if they released this Well, an unrelated thing, the last two times I have put FS into my CD player it has started to play Pet Name instead of S-E-X-X-Y. I find this very scary. Josh josh@fyi.net ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:11:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720121158_-123499712@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Sabrina/Clarissa Explains It All Speaking of Sabrina, does anyone remember that old Nickelodeon show Cla rissa Explains It All ? Well, it now runs on re-runs on Nick, and I usually watch it. Well, it is cool because on her wall she has 2 TMBG refrences . One is a poster with John and John, and the other is a big green Flood sign. Watch it and see the beauty. Leroy ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:14:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720121402_-725619647@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: MTV and TMBG Well, Mtv has a new contest. I don't know what the contest is but they play like the first three seconds of purple toupee in it. Leroy ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:20:00 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720121959_784808771@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Mini-Disc I was look in the They Might Be Giants section @ my local record store, and to my amazement, I found a mini disc copy of the They'll Need A Crane, and I almost crapped my pants. Leroy ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:27:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720122739_1347101767@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Then Promo I was @ my grandpa's garage sail about a week ago, when i was looking through his CD bin (He used to work for a record label, so I thought they're might be something cool) when to my amazement I found a promo for Then: The Earlier Years. I have no idea how it got there, since he worked for BMG, which doesn't carry Restless. Here are the songs it has in order. 1) Don't Let's Start 2) Now That I Have Everything 3) Famous Polka 4) Ana Ng 5) I'm Def 6) Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon 7) (She Was A) Hotel Detective 8) Birds Fly 9) Which Describes How You're Feeling 10) We're The Replacements 11) Greek #3 12) Become A Robot 13) Kiss Me Son Of God 14) Weep Day 15) Schoolchildren Singing "Particle Man" ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:33:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720123305_-56354230@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Leader Skit, Whistling In The Dark At the camp I go to (Camp Colman) We do a thing called the leader skit. I goes like this; I'm glad I am a leader, there's nothing I'd rather be, but if I weren't a leader... tehn you put in a rhyming part. Well, me and my friend, who both listen to TMBG, added as our rhyming part, Giants we might be, we'd sing some songs of men of particles, and never use machetes to scrape off barnacles. Well it was cool. We also sing a version of Whistling In The Dark, with out the verses. Leroy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970720164852.00682f04@pop.holli.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:48:52 -0400 From: Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton Subject: Re: TMBG: Any Space Ghost News? <<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The new season is JUST underway. Having seen the tentative schedule of the first 12 episodes or so, it should be quite a while till Flansburgh is on. I'll post when/if i find out the exact date. BTW, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, which airs on the Cartoon Network Fridays at 11pm eastern and on Saturdays at 12am eastern, is the single best show on television today. Everyone should watch it, even if Flansburgh isn't on it Could someone tell me if my .sig worked? ************************************************************* *Ryan47 *"I hate golems, taking our jobs." * *Ryan Hamilton *"We ain't got jobs." * *momoftwo@holli.com *"See what I mean? * *Not a mom of two. *"What's for supper?" * *Not even close. *"Mud and ole boots. HRRawrk ptui!" * * *"Millenium hand and shrimp, I sez."* * 0 0 *"M glad I've got a voice. * * 0 * I can speak up for myself." * * \ / *"It's time you fed your duck." * * ------- *"What duck?" * ************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970720131736.2c7719c2@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 13:17:36 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: Put DAS through the Flanger, John... >That is such a wierd effect when it sounds like two of the same person >singing. It sounds somehow less natural. It's called double-tracking. Back in the "old days," artists actually had to sing the part twice to produce the effect. However, something called Artificial Double Tracking was invented, mainly beacause John Lennon was tired of singing the same part twice for his Beatles recordings. When he asked how it worked, the engineer who created it gave him some mumbo-jumbo about sending the tape spool through the flanger and now ADTing something is referred to as "flanging." >You don't tour over 60% of the year and play over 1200 concerts in a 10 year >span (I got this figure off of a Sound FX appearence) and care nothing about >your fans. Actually, everything J&J say indicates that they become a little bit more distant from and afraid of their fans with every show they play. >And what about Dial-a-song? They don't make a penny off of that. That's >something they do to give us something new and different. If your >theory were true, they would have either made a charge for it or completely >gotten rid of it as soon as they had a huge success with Flood. We all know DAS' origins -- it was a cheap, easy way to promote themselves -- just take out the ad in the Village Voice and let people discover their music. And while it's still around, it's slowly atrophied since then -- "Two People In Love" is the only non-released track to appear on DAS since the Mono Puff EP originally came out. >There was one of those machines there and it had a picture of FS! >I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! The machines with Factory Showroom buttons had a video collage of TMBG's earlier videos when you pressed the button. I doubt very seriously that there was an original video, since had there been one, it would have at least been debuted on 120 Minutes, and we would have gotten the news. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 14:34:38 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720143426_-1124531892@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg List Here is a list of bootlegs that I have. If interested in trading, E-mail me. Also, I can transfer Videos into audio if you would like. Mr Bungle: Berkeley, CA 1-13-91 Toronto, Canada 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA 12-18-95 (Video) Fishbone: St. Louis 11-5-86 (Video) Citta, Kawasaki Japan February 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA@Warfield Theatre 1-16-92 (Video) Foo Fighters: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Lawrence KS 10-30-94 (Video) Coney Island High, NYC 5-17-96 (Video) Radiohead: London@The Astoria 5-27-94 (Video) Rage Against The Machine: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) Philadelphia, PA 8-16-96 (Video) Fairfax, VA 8-21-96 (Video) They Might Be Giants: 1985 Demo Tape (Audio) Dr. Spocks Backup Band (Audio) Inadvertant (Audio) New Paltz 5-5-90 (Video) Live In New York 10-14-94 (Audio) Wherehouse Records, Seattle 5-95 (Video) House of Blues 9-19-96 (Audio) Aran's Records Instore 11-22-96 (Video) Let It Be Instore 11-29-96 (Video) Tower Records 1996 (Audio) Stump Box (Audio) Weezer: Various Tape (Audio) American Holiday (Audio) Rock Candy (Audio) "Geezer" New Britan, CT 12-4-94 (Audio) Milan, Italy@The Factory 2-18-95 (Video) Buffalo 7-30-95 (Audio) Germany@Bizarre Fest 8-17-96 (Video) Acoustic at Shorecrest H.S. 11-6-96 (Audio) CFNY Toronto Live Radio (Audio) 7:30 Spotlight 5-22-97 (Audio) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970720114425.0074a634@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:21:15 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: SEXXY video >Ok I was in Hills (a local dept. store) a while back and you know those >machines where you press the picture of an album and it shows a clip from >the >video? There was one of those machines there and it had a picture of FS! >I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! >I don't remember much I do remember seeing "The Guy" in it though...if >They >made no videos then what was that? Lots of listies reported seeing something similar at K-Mart, late last year. Consensus is that the "SEXXY video" shown is comprised of snippets from other videos. Rumor has it that there's no video and only one single because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. My suggestion: we know that Linnell has a QuickCam. Let's convince Them to shoot their own videos! :) --nicole the wonder nerd at the top of the charts *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org #include std_disclaimer ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:08:56 -0400 Subject: TMBG: A proposal for all of you kind-hearted Giant fans out there Message-ID: <19970720.180856.8438.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I just got my TMBG video Bootlegs in the mail last week... one question about them: Does everybody have that 5-6 sec. shot of someone's hands with two remote controls in the very beginning of BL one? Now for the proposal... I was watching the BLs and they came with lots of videos... The Statue got me High, The Guitar, etc., etc... But, alas, some are missing... this is where you.. the Official TMBG video Collection owner comes in ... I will send you $6.50 (same price Russ charges for his Bootleg's) and you will send me a copy on reg. grade tape of the TMBG Video Collection... If there are any replies to this... I will accept the first one I read... that's if I get any replies at all... P.S. TIM'S SIG IS STILL MISSING!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON HIS SIG PLEASE SEND IT TO Mr.Train@juno.com IT WENT SOMETHING LIKE: Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA --------- "Some cool quote"-Quoter's name... PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!!! Thanks! Tim ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970720221828.00679e9c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:18:28 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >Rumor has it that there's no video and only one single >because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. I doubt if that's true. Usually, the video comes out before the single is released or right as it is released, to help the promotion of it. Kelley Kent ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 19:58:45 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <33D2A635.3E25@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video Kelley Kent wrote: > > >Rumor has it that there's no video and only one single > >because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. > > I doubt if that's true. Usually, the video comes out before the > single is released or right as it is released, to help the promotion > of it. > > Kelley Kent I recall reading in Billboard that Elektra wanted to wait and see how SEXXY did on radio before a video was made... videos cost a lot of money and they weren't sure the song would be worth it(dorks). But there's always the chance that SEXXY will catch on and a video will be made... songs becoming popular long after being released isn't too uncommon... and with electronica being the latest craze, who knows? It has a techno feel to it... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D2C97A.343A@netins.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:29:14 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: TMBG chess Hey all, I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. Paul OldFriend on EFnet #TMBG ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:21:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons reminder. Message-ID: <19970720.232140.3790.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> It is Monday, and I just want to remind all that Tiny Toons video special is on today on Nickelodeon at 2:00 p.m. (Eastern) Istanbul and Particle Man by They. -Anonymous (It's not me!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970721033138.0067cc34@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:31:38 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >I recall reading in Billboard that Elektra wanted to wait and see how >SEXXY did on radio before a video was made... videos cost a lot of money >and they weren't sure the song would be worth it(dorks). >But there's always the chance that SEXXY will catch on and a video will >be made... songs becoming popular long after being released isn't too >uncommon... and with electronica being the latest craze, who knows? It >has a techno feel to it... > Very true: Elektra is infested with dorks. Maybe a remix is what SEXXY needs. And no, not that way-too-long-and-boring Microwave crap. Bleh. Or even better, why not release a new single? TMHFO gets my vote. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:38:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720233855_61182162@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >> I recall reading in Billboard that Elektra wanted to wait and see how SEXXY did on radio before a video was made... videos cost a lot of money and they weren't sure the song would be worth it(dorks). But there's always the chance that SEXXY will catch on and a video will be made... songs becoming popular long after being released isn't too uncommon... and with electronica being the latest craze, who knows? It has a techno feel to it...>> I dunno, "SEXXY" isn't nearly electronica enough to ride the coattails of that craze--I think there's a better chance that another song off of FS might catch on enough to merit the expense of a video. According to the sticker on FS, the other two planned singles are "Til My Head Falls Off" and "NYC." TMHFO, so I hear, was already released as a radio-only single (meaning no bonus track ep) and was performed on Viva Variety, but so far I haven't heard of it being played on the radio much. Of course I think it was evil of Elektra not to give them the money for a video right from the start, since a single pretty much needs a video for anyone to pay attention to it these days, but I guess it's a trade off--sort of like "Ok, you guys do what you want, just don't expect us to pump a lot of dough into promoting it," which is probably better than if Elektra had given them a lot of money for videos--let's face it, the more a record company invests in a band, the more control they want over what the band does. Another factor is that the Johns might not be all that crazy about making videos anymore, so maybe they didn't put up much of a fight for one. I think a more important point is that they need to pick better singles; as much as I like "Snail Shell" and "SEXXY," they are not the strongest songs on their respective albums. I understand why they chose them--they wanted to present a different sound to expand their audience, and both of those songs are indeed different from their earlier singles like "Birdhouse," "Ana Ng," and "Don't Let's Start," but those songs made better singles because they imprint themselves on your brain right away whereas "Snail Shell" (which did have a cool video, tho it seems to be the least popular one) and "SEXXY," while both fine songs, take a bit longer to grow on you. Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? Guess that's enough rambling for now! Kay, who kinda wishes there had been a video for "SEXXY" to see if They would have come up with a new dance ;) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D2F5E4.33AC@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:38:44 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Hoo-ray! I'm back from summer camp and ready to post! First: I just picked up a few FREE Then poster thingies... they're about the size of a record case, and have the ship-in-a-bottle on the front, and a little record deal thingy on the back. I'd be willing to trade one or two of those for a small bootleg... any takers? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D2F53A.47B1@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:35:54 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess > Hey all, > I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought > I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. > I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be > characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. Hmm... Chess Piece Face? And where would Particle Man come in? Linnell: Bwa ha ha, Particle Man to King's Knight... dammit!! Flans: What? Linnell: I dropped the piece! Run and get the tweezers, quick! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-201 ******************************