Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-202 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 202 Tuesday, 22 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: I'M TOPFUELED...AND MAD!!!! Re: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... TMBG: OMLT Non-TMBG:MP:Hello TMBG: 120 minutes Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 TMBG: eMPTY is here! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 TMBG: Which Singles? (was Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: Single Debate... TMBG: OldFriend's musings Re: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970721000001.007a19c0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 00:00:03 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess At 09:29 PM 20/07/97 -0500, you wrote: >Hey all, >I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought >I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. >I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be >characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. Interesting. I think the pieces would have to be something more recognizable, though (characters from the songs could look like all kinds of things). Perhaps the Johns in poses and costumes from the various videos? Either of Them in The Big Tall Hat from the DLS video would make a great bishop. Perhaps the two sides could be all Linnell and all Flansburgh... John vs. John! Imagine, if you will, Linnell with accordion in hand(s), on top of a cylindrical platform as seen in the Statue video, looking down as the benevolent King. The left-arm-outstretched-from-Ana-Ng knights. Possibilities are endless. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:34:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970721023442_-1609494681@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video > Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better > first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? Yes, I agree.... For John Henry, I would've picked "Extra Savior-Faire" For Factory Showroom, "Till My Head Falls Off" That's my $.01 (I can't afford two! Sniff.) Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 01:04:10 -0600 Subject: TMBG: I'M TOPFUELED...AND MAD!!!! Message-ID: <19970721.010602.6470.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) grrrr.... PLEASE STOP ADVERTISING YOUR WEB-PAGES ON THE LIST.... if you feel the need to show your webpage's address simply place it in your signature... other than that can we pleeeeeease stop sayiing "heh heh i just got my bootleg page updated..." there are search engines for that "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, an angry JOrdaN that can;t be too angry cuz she just scored a poster from vlad! =) (the beauties of never going to sleep and getting all your mail at 1:00 in the morning (mountain time)) =) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:24:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... Message-ID: On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, I have no Name wrote: > it's gonna be lincoln;s birthday (on IRC) and secondly to honor JonBob > (who i just recently found out is the man behind www.tmbg.org) Cuz, well I hate to take credit as "the man behind" tmbg.org. We're a team here. :-) If anything, that credit goes to Leo, who owns the machine. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:07:34 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLT Message-ID: <19970721.090744.12222.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) where did hte shoe-goddess christy go with all the Omlt's?? Did she move to the sun with mike leffel? anyone? please pass the milk please JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:34:36 -0700 Subject: Non-TMBG:MP:Hello Message-ID: <19970721.093439.13974.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I don't know if this has already been said. I apologize if it has. I just got Unsupervised, and was singing along with Hello Hello when I realized that it was exactly the same as the song Hello by Oasis. I checked the fine print and realized it was a cover. Why then is it called Hello on the Oasis CD, and Hello Hello on Unsupervised? Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707211738.KAA04395@mailtod-113.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:38:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes I didn't know that they still played They videos on 120 minutes. How will we find out if they do play a video? I would be willing to tape it every night, I guess. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Jul 97 14:10 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >For John Henry, I would've picked "Extra Savior-Faire" I think I would've picked "Out of Jail," "Sleeping In the Flowers," or maybe "AKA Driver." Something with a slightly more "mainstream" appeal, I guess. Not that "Savior-Faire" isn't a great song; it just wouldn't appeal to the average radio listener as readily. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: Forsithia0@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:54:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970721145355_42393720@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 uh...hi...um...i don't know if this will reach everyone cuz i'm computer retarded, but i just heard that THEY were on the Jenny McCarthy show and i was real mad cuz i missed it but then i thought that maybe the kid who told me was on crack or something.....so i just want to know if it was on and all the crazy details and stuff. ------eve ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:00:07 -0400 Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970721142553.25df9118@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: eMPTY is here! I just got the new compilation in the mail today. Here is the setlist, though I cannot provide trades at the current time (I'm already backlogged with trade orders). So look for it at your local trader list! More Power To You PODAS Part 2 Tape Compiled by: Mr. Tissue and Cappy Ernest Fidel Graphic Design by: Byk'l of Backspace Media You Can Get Your Own DAS Fix At 1-718-387-6962 Narrrrrr I. Unreleased Songs We Missed The First Time Dial-A-Song Jingle #5 (Power of Dial-A-Song w/organ) Coffee Table of Love Side Two (Instrumental) Reminder II. New Unreleased Dial-A-Songs Rat Patrol Car Without A Handle When Tornadoes Take Over The World Summer Sublet Two People In Love III. Demos For Released Songs Dial-A-Song Jingle #6: Welcome To The World Road Movie To Berlin Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love Lie Still Little Bottle / Racist Friend (Blunt) Hey Mr. DJ (more finished version) Santa's Beard I've Got A Match Cabbagetown If I Wasn't Shy Hall of Heads Stormy Pinkness Women And Men Free Bird (I Blame You version 2) See The Constellation (version 2) Twistin' (extended mix) Spider Dial-A-Song Jingle #7: A TMBG Song She's Actual Size (version 1) Hypnotist of Ladies Mammal She's Actual Size (version 2) "Live Like Pigs" Rap Dead Siftin' Lullaby To Nightmares Whirpool Snail Shell Dirt Bike The End Of The Tour Ondine (w/Nixon impersonator) Sleeping in the Flowers (old) Spiralling Shape Your Own Worst Enemy IV. Mono Puff Demos Mockingbird What Bothers The Spaceman Nixon's The One Don't I Have The Right V. I Palindrome I (early/Flans) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://goatboy.home.ml.org/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:18:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970721161806_-1811273439@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 << uh...hi...um...i don't know if this will reach everyone cuz i'm computer retarded, but i just heard that THEY were on the Jenny McCarthy show and i was real mad cuz i missed it but then i thought that maybe the kid who told me was on crack or something.....so i just want to know if it was on and all the crazy details and stuff. >> Oh, good God, what a scary thought!!! I can just picture Jenny running up and getting all silly/mushy over a very frightened-looking Linnell (the way she did to the youngest Hanson kid). Ack! Kay, who can't believe she just admitted to seeing an episode of the Jenny McCarthy show--the Hanson epsiode, no less :p ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970721160503.0068ef98@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:05:07 -0700 From: Jeffrey Chen Subject: TMBG: Which Singles? (was Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) Kay wrote: >Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better >first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? I agree that They blundered in choosing singles for the last two albums. They wanted to sound different, but Snail Shell and SEXXY simultaneously sounded too different (which met with with regular fan disapproval) and weren't very strong individually (so that they weren't enough to get anyone else's attention). Off of JH, Sleeping In The Flowers seemed to meet with general approval around here, plus it's rather lively and peppy, and just strange enough (in form and lyrics) to stick in your head. So maybe I'd pick that one (it's either that or Nyquil Driver, but that song is a little too repetitively one-track). As for FS, the concensus seems to be for Till My Head Falls Off: catchy, upbeat, They-like in theme. New York City is the other logical choice, and may have worked for them, as their covers (Istanbul, WDTSS) seem pretty popular. As They have said before, "Here's a song we didn't write... people seem to like that." --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:44:10 -0400 (EDT) From: "Ruprecht or Misha or \"That Jerk Off\"" Subject: TMBG: Single Debate... Message-ID: The subject has once again been raised that S E X X Y and Snailshell were not the best single choices from their respective albums. Once again people have said how Sleeping in the Flowers, AKA Driver and Till My Head Falls Off should have been the singles and aside from the fact that this discussion changes nothing, these songs were singles. Sure, they were radio only singles, but singles sure enough. Now on the other hand, I would argue that both of these songs were most definitely the best possible single choices. Snail Shell for it's repetativeness and easy to learn lyrics and SEXXY for it's groovy, retro, 70s throw back sounds that "the kids" seem to be looking for these days, or at least those days (i.e. last year). Sleeping in the Flowers, I'm betting, would make a great radio single now with the whole ska craze (not to say that it is ska, but people are dumb enough to say "horns = ska"). Till My Head Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words are almost unintelligible (especially at radio sound quality) losing that whole sing along quality that previously big tmbg singles had. Think about it. ------------------------------ From: "khinkle" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:44:24 -0500 Message-Id: <00503255926856@eosinc.com> cool idea!! ana ng's can be queens...snailshell pawns...rabid child knights...bluecanary bishops and birdhouse rooks!! -andrea- aka soul-D aka salsa girl ---------- > From: Paul Tomlinson > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: TMBG chess > Date: Sunday, July 20, 1997 9:29 PM > > Hey all, > I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought > I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. > I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be > characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. > Paul > OldFriend on EFnet #TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D43479.81E6C5FF@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:18:01 -0700 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... > Snail Shell for it's repetativeness and > easy to learn lyrics and SEXXY for it's groovy, retro, 70s throw back > sounds that "the kids" seem to be looking for these days Dont forget S-E-X-X-Y's repetitiveness and easy to learn lyrics. > Till My Head > Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no > immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words > are almost unintelligible Hmm... I immediately got TMHFO stuck in my head, and I paid no attention to the lyrics, (I never do with any song at first.) Its very easy to sing along with, at least the chorus "Im not done, and I wont be till my head falls off" or whatever. I think that TMHFO is a very very good choice. Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. Maybe, just maybe, the audience of today is willing to embrace something new. I doubt it, but just maybe. I know many people have said this before, but if elektra really wanted to, I know they could make TMHFO a big hit. Instead, they promote "motley crue" (Im too lazy to look up the character for those two little dots) which is the single most derivative and worthless band out there... okay, the second, after oasis. Nuke alive, grim cup- Kevin Paul McGuire -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970323203600.006e5824@kalifornia.com> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:36:00 -0600 From: i0n Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... i definatly agree. tmhfo is a great song. i told all my non-tmbg-likeing friends to watch viva variety when they were on and they all loved them. one of them (who ONLY listens to punk) bought the cd right away. >> Snail Shell for it's repetativeness and >> easy to learn lyrics and SEXXY for it's groovy, retro, 70s throw back >> sounds that "the kids" seem to be looking for these days > >Dont forget S-E-X-X-Y's repetitiveness and easy to learn lyrics. > >> Till My Head >> Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no >> immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words >> are almost unintelligible > >Hmm... I immediately got TMHFO stuck in my head, and I paid no attention >to the lyrics, (I never do with any song at first.) Its very easy to >sing along with, at least the chorus "Im not done, and I wont be till my >head falls off" or whatever. I think that TMHFO is a very very good >choice. > >Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. >Maybe, just maybe, the audience of today is willing to embrace something >new. I doubt it, but just maybe. > >I know many people have said this before, but if elektra really wanted >to, I know they could make TMHFO a big hit. Instead, they promote >"motley crue" (Im too lazy to look up the character for those two little >dots) which is the single most derivative and worthless band out >there... okay, the second, after oasis. > >Nuke alive, grim cup- >Kevin Paul McGuire >-- >===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= >"You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the >end of e-mails? I hate those." > - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite >-==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= > > * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oh I love the storm that leaves no trace, like thoughts inside a dream. He is the band that led me to that place, yellow desert screams. Like shangrela beneath the summer moon, I will return to err. As the death that floats behind you, we're moving through Kashmir. -Led Zepplin * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:44:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Jul-97 TMBG: Single Debate... by Ruprecht J. Off\"@scnc.l > Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no > immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words > are almost unintelligible (especially at radio sound quality) losing that > whole sing along quality that previously big tmbg singles had. Think I don't know about that - my parents saw it on Viva Variety (as they tried, in vain, to tape it for me because I don't have Comedy Central) and when they told me about it they said "it was something about shower stalls and heads falling off..." so it did kind of stick. and it's the style that's just so cool... the lyrics don't need to stick on the first listen, IMHO... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D43339.1872@netins.net> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:12:41 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: OldFriend's musings Well, I'm delightfully surprised at the positive response to my idea. Now there's no turning back, you'll get to hear all my thoughts (Note: for those of you who do not wish to be subjected to oddities, please stop reading and delete this message) I really don't know what there is for TMBG merchandise, outside an out-of-production keyring (Which should be put back into production, so I could get one). Could someone tell me what there is?? I'd pay for a rock and string if it was packaged with the TMBG logo. Hell, I just want some TMBG stuff. Let people see the real me. Well, here's something's I'd like to see. First off, a baseball cap with the TMBG logo off of Factory Showroom on it. Add some shorts with that same logo on it. I also want a Spiraling Shape. How about a TMBG watch? Ah, the clock tells me it's time to get to sleep. Also, my mom tells me the same thing... I thing this group can come up with some great merchandise ideas. The trouble is, who reads this list?? How can we get some of these ideas to someone who could actually do something about it?? And finally, where can I get a Rick to wind string around? (inside joke) Paul AKA OldFriend Salsa Lover with Extra Savoire-Faire ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:36:46 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild Message-ID: On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 expo67@webtv.net wrote: > First off, on the Quik commercial with Tommy, who is sick, and his > friends playing baseball, someone at the beginning says "Hey, where's > Tommy?" to which I reply 'someone find Tommy > We're out on the road'. It's fun. Yee, when I read this I thought, "Tommy can you hear me? Can you feel me near you?" That means that a. I'm old. b. My TMBG Recognition Factor is _way_ downtown (bang?) c. I'm a loser. I'm going for all three here, kiddies. > Now for my main point: we should create a call that we scream out in > public and any other They fans would reply with a set reply ex.: first > person says "I was born in a lighthouse" other They fans reply "My > mother was the sea". But, this would give Them publicity (which They > don't seem to like). On the other hand, it's a great way to meet other > fans or stick out like a sore thumb and get made fun of. I'm a very > self-destructive little boy. > I like this idea because it has great potential in all situations, not just concerts. Though I must say that I agree with who ever said that it wouldn't work at concerts because of the high lyric-recognition factor. Or yelling out songtitles, which makes me think of the four people in the audience who always yell out "Purple Toupee!" during the concerts (it's the "Freebird" of the TMBG world, I tell ya.) in order to get the Johns to play it but we know that _never_ works or they'd've played "Weep Day" at every concert. Anyway, I think a code would be fun in general. Like, "Blue dolphins eat green Cheet-o's at midnight" would be the sign, and "But yellow dogs howl at an orange moon" could be the counter sign. Imagine the fun of yelling these statements into a crowded room. I can...mmmmm.... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "Yeah, I'm living so amazed, we could have lived our lives the same. But we chose, and now we choose- did we win or did we lose?" -Planet Earth, "Living" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-202 ******************************