Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-203 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 203 Wednesday, 23 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: PODAS part 2 Re: TMBG: Re: PODAS part 2 Re: TMBG: OldFriend's musings TMBG: Hey everyone! Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) TMBG: oddities... TMBG: James Ensor in Halloween TMBG: RE:OldFriend's musings Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... TMBG: Re: The Guy or The Man TMBG: videos for JH and FS Re: TMBG: Re: The Guy or The Man TMBG: Did you miss me when I was away?! TMBG: Singles Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: NON-TMBG: Single Debate... (BLUR) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good... (fwd) TMBG: Single Woes Re: TMBG: Single Woes Non TMBG: Lothar Co? Re: TMBG: Single Woes TMBG: A note about bootlegs Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:44:57 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: PODAS part 2 Message-ID: <19970722.014508.18654.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) AAAACK!!! Someone that has the POwer of DAS PArt 2 that would be willing to trade please e-mail me!! (TMBgirl@juno.com) >And finally, where can I get a Rick to wind >string around? (inside joke) >Paul AKA OldFriend paul...you, my friend, RICK the house because you are just that KWel =) "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG oidjfoia, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:28:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Ruprecht or Misha or That Jerk Off Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PODAS part 2 Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, I have no Name wrote: > AAAACK!!! Someone that has the POwer of DAS PArt 2 that would be willing > to trade please e-mail me!! (TMBgirl@juno.com) > > >And finally, where can I get a Rick to wind > >string around? (inside joke) > >Paul AKA OldFriend > > paul...you, my friend, RICK the house because you are just that KWel =) I hate to beat a perfectly dead horse, but, wasn't it you who, just yesterday, complained to the high heavens about how much you hated people posting to the list about bootlegs? That's what search engines are for, or so you said... If you're gonna whine, at least live up to your own standards... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970722090326.00539ab0@email.uc.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:03:26 -0400 From: "%^)" Subject: Re: TMBG: OldFriend's musings At 11:12 PM 7/21/97 -0500, you wrote: >Well, I'm delightfully surprised at the positive response to my idea. >Now there's no turning back, you'll get to hear all my thoughts (Note: >for those of you who do not wish to be subjected to oddities, please >stop reading and delete this message) I really don't know what there is >for TMBG merchandise, outside an out-of-production keyring (Which should >be put back into production, so I could get one). Could someone tell me >what there is?? I'd pay for a rock and string if it was packaged with >the TMBG logo. "Cause eveybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around..." (sorry, couldn't resist) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:58:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Hey everyone! Message-ID: <19970722.095833.10390.1.ExquisiteDeadGuy@juno.com> From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Your Mother) Hello Y'all! I have returned! (big whoop huh??) I gonna stay quiet for a while till i figure out what the heck you people are talking about. On a side note, I hade talked to someone a while ago about getting 8cm. TMBG singles I have no i dead who it was, If anyone knows anything about 8cm singles, please E-mail me. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:56:06 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) Message-ID: <19970722.095833.10390.0.ExquisiteDeadGuy@juno.com> From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Your Mother) On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:05:07 -0700 Jeffrey Chen writes: >Kay wrote: > >>Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better >>first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? > > I agree that They blundered in choosing singles for the last two >albums. They wanted to sound different, but Snail Shell and SEXXY >simultaneously sounded too different (which met with with regular fan >disapproval) and weren't very strong individually (so that they >weren't >enough to get anyone else's attention). > > Off of JH, Sleeping In The Flowers seemed to meet with general >approval around here, plus it's rather lively and peppy, and just >strange >enough (in form and lyrics) to stick in your head. So maybe I'd pick >that >one (it's either that or Nyquil Driver, but that song is a little too >repetitively one-track). > > As for FS, the concensus seems to be for Till My Head Falls Off: >catchy, upbeat, They-like in theme. New York City is the other >logical >choice, and may have worked for them, as their covers (Istanbul, >WDTSS) >seem pretty popular. As They have said before, "Here's a song we >didn't >write... people seem to like that." > >--LVJeff Odly enough, where I Live (in minniapolis) our local station never played S-E-X-X-Y, they, infact, played NYC. The only problem is that the station was bought out and now isone of those "X" rock stations. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:11:34 -0500 (CDT) From: cyberspace buddha Subject: TMBG: oddities... Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Paul Tomlinson wrote about: OldFriend's musings > (Note: for those of you who do not wish to be subjected to oddities, > please stop reading and delete this message) TMBG fans that don't like oddities? Oxymoron. cheers, cb Cyberspace Buddha /(0\ What's on, your mind? mailto:cb@silverchat.com \1)/ http://silverchat.com/~cb Not your fathers buddha. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:47:46 -0400 Message-Id: <199707221647.MAA19781@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: James Ensor in Halloween Hola, I did not see this with my naked eyes, but my naked friend swears that he saw a print of a James Ensor painting in Jamie Lee Curtis's room in the horror film _Halloween_ . He even says that Ensor's name is at the bottom of the print. (it's a poster reproduction). Anyone seen this? Kris ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:45:55 -0400 Message-Id: <199707221645.MAA19757@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: RE:OldFriend's musings Well, for one thing, i KNOW that there exists the hat with the FS TMBG logo on it... TMBGirl has one, I saw it at the Lawrence, Kansas show :) ALso, you should check out tmbg.com for some of their merchandise, or see if you can get intot he info club (they never sent me anything in response to my membership request....grrrrrr) They have t-shirts and stickers and coffee mugs and the like. I have found my own way of making TMBG paraphernalia, however. I got some of those nigty t-shirt transfers for my printer and make as many ORIGINAL TMBG shirts and I can stand (read "afford to print") ! It's great! Kris ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707221706.AA05345@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:06:01 -0400 (EDT) > > I really don't see J&J as "glory hounds." I think They do it > all for their fans and because they have fun. Course, that's > just me. > Jordan may have been referring to this, but the way I took it was whether they would have any money left or a record label at all if they did not have these pretty successful hits. You can have all the desire in the world to play in a band and make your music but it really takes money to keep that great ball of album making (as well as a contract with a record company!) going. Elektra may never have picked them up if they didn't have these on Flood.... Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707221717.AA05358@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: The Guy or The Man Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:17:25 -0400 (EDT) > >> I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! > >> I don't remember much I do remember seeing "The Guy" in it though...if > >> They > >> made no videos then what was that? > > >Ooops, sorry, well, I thought they hadn't made a video for the album; at > >least that's what I heard, anyway. > > I believe that Sneak Previews video was strung-together clips from > other TMBG videos, not a new video. So Patrick, you're not wrong; you can > stop hiding in the corner. :) > > Kirsten Hmm, I don't seem to remember "The Guy" being in a TMBG video (who is The Guy?) Is "The Guy" really "The Man"? That little man who's on the WDTSS? single? If this is so I am almost positive there has been no previous TMBG video with him in it. Thus, if it was a bunch of old videos strung together then where did he come from? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707221730.AA05375@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: videos for JH and FS Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:30:28 -0400 (EDT) I agree with Kaylum that different singles could have been picked. Both radio and video play would have been better probably. "Sleeping in the Flowers" or "Know One Knows My Plan" would have been great; very catchy songs, with lots of energy, and I'm sure a great video could have been make from these. FS would probably have done well with TMHFO. A very catchy song, also with lots of energy, and they're already starting to play it (as on Viva Variety). New York City probably would have been pretty good, but do they want another cover song as their main single anyway? Istanbul was a cover (yes most ppl don't know this, but still...) and ppl might find out that this is a cover as well and just label them as another UB40! Spiralling Shape might have done well but it doesn't quite have the high energy of TMHFO that they might want for a single. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:31:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Guy or The Man Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Matthew James wrote: > Hmm, I don't seem to remember "The Guy" being in a TMBG video (who is > The Guy?) Is "The Guy" really "The Man"? That little man who's on the > WDTSS? single? If this is so I am almost positive there has been no I think we had a similar conversation recently. Or maybe it was on a.m.tmbg. I'm confused. Dar dar dar dar. Anyway, while "The Man" refers to the little guy who is similar to but definitely not the same as Rich Uncle Pennybags on Monopoly, "That Guy" and "The Big Head" are used pretty interchangeably to refer to William Allen White, who has indeed been in a couple of Their videos. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707221808.LAA26152@f63.hotmail.com> From: "John Fuchs" Subject: TMBG: Did you miss me when I was away?! Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:08:15 PDT Hello, Hello! It's Mike Leffel here! Sorry I've been gone for so long, but I've been quite ill and I just thought I would peep in and say hello! See, after 2 straight months of being horribly sick and losing 40 pounds (and a lifetime of being sick..) I recently fell into a three day diabetic coma and almost died on july 1st. I was helicoptered out of my hick-jackass town where they thought I was faking sickness (for six years or more) and I've been laid up in a hospital ICU for two weeks until I recovered. I narrowly escaped any permanent physical or mental (well.. ^_^ )damage thanks to about ten doctors, and I'll be paying the bills for quite some time. I'm just now getting used to being alive again, and unfortunatly I'm sure I'll be alive for quite some time. I'm currently not subscribed to the list because my main email account was canceled since I've been too busy being in a coma and learning that I have diabetes, so there. I won't be on the list for a while, but you can reach me here on this hotmail account for now if you like. Whatever. The reports of my being sucked into the Heroes Reborn universe have been greatly exaggerated. Mike "Friendly Neighborhood Leper" Leffel (*)The type of coma I fell into usually kills people off, or at least severely damages their minds. I came out.. normal. God, I hate my life. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970722180756.00689104@pop.holli.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:07:56 -0400 From: Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton Subject: TMBG: Singles The choice of singles on JH and FS has been brought up... Personally I feel SenSurround should have been on FS and should have been the single...I can almost imagine TMBG being famous then. Its one of their best songs, plus it has the appropriate mainstream appeal. ************************************************************* *Ryan47 *"I hate golems, taking our jobs." * *Ryan Hamilton *"We ain't got jobs." * *momoftwo@holli.com *"See what I mean? * *Not a mom of two. *"What's for supper?" * *Not even close. *"Mud and ole boots. HRRawrk ptui!" * * *"Millenium hand and shrimp, I sez."* * 0 0 *"M glad I've got a voice. * * 0 * I can speak up for myself." * * \ / *"It's time you fed your duck." * * ------- *"What duck?" * ************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:56:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970722155605_-290968701@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... In a message dated 97-07-21 22:01:08 EDT, you write: > Till My Head >Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no > immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words > are almost unintelligible Actually, I think it's really catchy, the tune. I read somewhere that you listen to the lyrics but you dance to the beat. I think "Till My Head Falls Off" would've made a great single/ep (I also heard it was released as a radio single, but I'm probably wrong about that) because it's got that catchy tune you dance to. An example I'd like to bring up is Blur's "Song 2." It had a real catchy tune, and when you heard it the first 4 or 5 times all you (or me, at least) could understand was "WOOHOO!!" and then "whenifughtklavbaba" So I think TMHFO would've been a good single. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D520F5.558E@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:07:01 -0700 From: Jordan David Maynard Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Single Debate... (BLUR) LePoopee@aol.com wrote: > An example I'd like to bring up is Blur's "Song 2." It had a real catchy > tune, and when you heard it the first 4 or 5 times all you (or me, at least) > could understand was "WOOHOO!!" and then "whenifughtklavbaba" > So I think TMHFO would've been a good single. As a die-hard blur fan since the beggining of the band i'm gonna have to chime in here and say that A) Blur and TMBG have a very similar track record with their albums and B) blur's "Song 2" is by no means their first ultra-catchy tune. Go back to their first album, the single (in the US) was "There's no other way" and was very catchy, "There's no other way, all that you can do is watch them play." Second album, "Chemical World", catchy, but not as much as "There's no other way" (kinda like i don't think ana ng is as catchy as don't lets start, it's a close one though ) Third album. The single, of course, was "Girls & Boys" ('girls who are boys who like boys to be girls who like boys like they're...' you get the idea). Most blur fans feel about this album the way giant-heads feel about Flood, ie it's a good album, and possibly blur's best, but no true blur fan can *stand* anyone who only knows blur from "Girls & Boys". Fourth album, The Great Escape. This is blur's JH. They took a big departure from their previous feel and went with more of a big-band sound (lotsa horns). There are some good songs hidden on what is generally a too long album with too much fluff on it. They really lost alot of true fans with this album Fifth Album, the self titled 'blur'. "Song 2" extra-catchy. Not only that but there are alot of other good songs on the album. However, they sound all really *american* which is, personally, not what i look for when i listen to brit-pop. Oh well. I guess in short maybe a band like blur just knows how to write catchier (note: i did ***NOT*** say better) songs than a band like TMBG, songs that are more apt to radio and TV exposure - but then, thats why a bunch of us like TMBG better, coz 99% of the stuff on the radio and TV is, crap. -jdm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970722175326.0068d304@email.acd.net> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:53:26 -0400 From: amy beth geerling Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 hay leroy- clarissa has totally "hearted" tmbg for ever since i can remember.... in fact, when i was in orlando on vacation one time, we took my little cousin to universal studios/nickelodeon studios. when i was waiting in line to get into nick, clarissa came on talking about her fave things..... and then they appeared, in cartoon form john...................and.......................john the park people had to revive me. it was the coolest part of my1992(?) summer vacation. tmbggirl, lets celebrate, where do we dcc a cake to? -jodfer/amy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970722152328.3d4f2936@popmail.dircon.co.uk> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:23:28 From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... On Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:36:00 -0600, i0n wrote: >i definatly agree. tmhfo is a great song. i told all my non-tmbg-likeing >friends to watch viva variety when they were on and they all loved them. >one of them (who ONLY listens to punk) bought the cd right away. This is somewhat strange..... Like I'm almost totally (tho not exclusively) into punk, and yet I love TMBG to the point of They being my favourite band. Numerous friends that I've introduced TMBG to have expressed similar opinions.... most of whom are more hardcore punk than I am. The best of all was the guy who DJ's at the best (IMHO) punk/indie/alternative club in London, when I dubbed the Radish album for him and filled it with stuff from FS, and he said "Oh yeah! TMBG! I used to be into them! I've got Lincoln & their first album on vinyl. I used to play them at the Bell!"). [The Bell was a now-defunct club]. So - Does TMBG appeal to the punk community? And why so? Just weird!!!! Joe -- * Joekeith@dircon.co.uk * * Your friendly neighbourhood Zimbabwean punk..... * * http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:52:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) Message-ID: <19970722.190410.4854.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:05:07 -0700 Jeffrey Chen writes: >Kay wrote: > Off of JH, Sleeping In The Flowers seemed to meet with general >approval around here, plus it's rather lively and peppy, and just >strange >enough (in form and lyrics) to stick in your head. So maybe I'd pick >that >one (it's either that or Nyquil Driver, but that song is a little too >repetitively one-track). If I'm not mistaken, TMBG did release AKA Driver as a single.. I went to some site where a guy had a picture of his copy of the single... I don't remember which site though... :-( and they did play it on many TV appearances (see TMBG Video bootlegs) > As for FS, the concensus seems to be for Till My Head Falls Off: >catchy, upbeat, They-like in theme. New York City is the other >logical >choice, and may have worked for them, as their covers (Istanbul, >WDTSS) >seem pretty popular. Another thing: WDTSS popular? I guess I was asleep... I mean.. I LOVE that song but I don't think, as someone said before about SEXXY and Snail Shell, it is what the mainstream radio listener is listening for... I must agree with Jeff's views on NYC... I think it would have been as popular, if not more popular, than Istanbul or Particle Man... Tim the man with the missing sig... > As They have said before, "Here's a song we >didn't >write... people seem to like that." > >--LVJeff > >========================___________________________________________... >. . . >| from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, >| Protected by Guan Yu | >| alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with >you." >======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy >Writers > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:31:06 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <33D55EDA.D35@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > If I'm not mistaken, TMBG did release AKA Driver as a single.. I went to > some site where a guy had a picture of his copy of the single... I don't > remember which site though... :-( Http://www.eskimo.com/~mrme/lyrics.htm, perhaps? ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 22 Jul 97 22:58 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... >So - Does TMBG appeal to the punk community? And why so? Just weird!!!! I couldn't really say, since I'm not sure if I count as "the punk community". ;) But I can say that I count TMBG and the Sex Pistols as my top two favorite bands... I was into TMBG first, then my friend Fill (Kirsten waves; I know you're out there!) got me into the Sex Pistols a little over a year ago, and since then I've sort of dabbled in the punk/ska scene.. *shrug* I think anyone who just appreciates good, unconventional music can love TMBG... This could be a factor. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:58:22 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707230258.UAA11418@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good... (fwd) At 07:07 PM 7/18/97 -0400, you wrote: >You don't tour over 60% of the year and play over 1200 concerts in a 10 year >span (I got this figure off of a Sound FX appearence) and care nothing about >your fans. Just ask the groupies - the fans that TMBG know due to how many But if you really are in it for the people then you don't run away after every show, now do you? Let's face it, They're great, but there is practically no way that they could have even been around for 10 years with TMBG as the John's primary job (1) without their constant touring. Some bands sell enough albums to make good enough money that they don't have to tour, and some have to live on the road to make up for the "less-that-exemplory" sales of their albums. As my sister put it once: "They're, um, just not that, uh, popular right now.." (1) short of selling out, that is Dave Simpson LotharCo We put the "fun" back in "dysfunctional" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970722224553.20cf7c22@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:45:53 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: Single Woes >I don't know if this has already been said. I apologize if it has. I >just got Unsupervised, and was singing along with Hello Hello when I >realized that it was exactly the same as the song Hello by Oasis. I >checked the fine print and realized it was a cover. Why then is it >called Hello on the Oasis CD, and Hello Hello on Unsupervised? The Oasis song "Hello" isn't a cover per se; they use the musical figure from the chorus of the other song as a guitar riff for the chorus of their song, while the rest of it is new. The Mono Puff song, OTOH, is a cover of the song "Hello Hello" by glam rocker Gary Glitter. >Hmm... I immediately got TMHFO stuck in my head, Yes, but is it catchy in general? I gotta say no. For one thing, Pat Dillett's "mixing board? what mixing board?" production style leaves it sounding kinda flat, with nothing in particular sticking out of the mix. Secondly, the verses are all wrong -- frantic and wordy, exactly what they *shouldn't* be for single status. The chorus is *not* that catchy first time around. And, might I mention, the song sucks live. I don't know if it were just the sound system, but I was appalled at the Viva Variety performance. This was the band who made me go, "Wow, they've got a great live act" just a few months earlier... >Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. That's what Ruprecht does. >Maybe, just maybe, the audience of today is willing to embrace something >new. Pop works on one principle, and one principle alone: is catchy, will sell. >I know many people have said this before, but if elektra really wanted >to, I know they could make TMHFO a big hit. Extremely doubtful. The fact is that Elektra is doing the smartest thing, businesswise, they could with TMBG. The reason that they don't promote TMBG releases is because IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY. TMBG haven't written a radio-ready single in five years. Look at it this way: how many of you got into TMBG through promotion (i.e. saw 'em on MTV, heard 'em on commercial radio) and how many of you got into them through friend's mix tapes, through the unofficial Tiny Toons videos, or other non-record company funded sources? Elektra knows that these are the ways that new TMBG fans are made, and wisely decide to spend their money on more lucrative projects. You may decry Elektra for investing in that Motley Crue record, but the fact is that it'll probably sell more copies than TMBG have in their career, and Elektra knows it. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D5ACF8.300B@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:04:24 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Woes Chaos Harlequin wrote: > >Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. > > That's what Ruprecht does. As long as we are in the proccess of making below the belt comments, might I add that Joshua Hall-Something Or Other has a tendency to use illogic to fuel his holy wars... At any rate, it looks as though our opinions of FS are converging at a dangerously fast rate, so everybody better run for cover... -- I'm the president of the United States of Love. --Hair -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ ------------------------------ From: Sloane42@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:13:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970723001348_104977157@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Non TMBG: Lothar Co? I am just a lurker, but did I miss the definition of mr Simpson's Lothar Co? it has become an enigma... sorry for the random message, it is late and i know not what i type sloane ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970722231739.0907df74@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:17:39 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Woes At 12:04 AM 7/23/97 -0700, Ruprecht wrote: >Chaos Harlequin wrote: > >> >Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. >> >> That's what Ruprecht does. > > As long as we are in the proccess of making below the belt comments, That wasn't meant as a below-the-belt. You quite admittedly say that what TMBG were doing at first was what good and what they've done since is not good, right? If that's not an accurate assessment of your view, please give me a good whack upside the head. Really, if I wanted to take potshots at you I'd, oh, I don't know, call you an asshole or something stupid like that. >might I add that Joshua Hall-Something Or Other has a tendency to use >illogic to fuel his holy wars... Logic tends to gum up the gears and lower the gas mileage on holy wars. Only premium illogic will do the job for *my* holy wars. >At any rate, it looks as though our opinions of FS are converging at a >dangerously fast rate, Or, more accurately, mine is converging with yours, unless you like the album *more* now than you did before... Anyway, that is true, although I still like A18 and disagree with you about John Henry. >so everybody better run for cover... Ten months ago, I would've figured me siding with Ruprecht against the rest of tmbg-list was one of the signs of the coming apocalypse... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:17:05 -0400 Message-Id: <199707230417.AAA03972@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: A note about bootlegs Hello Hello, I just wanted to let you all know that The Denominator's Little Bootleg Empire is REQUESTING 2:1 trades! I was a newbie not very long ago, and I know that it is hard to get into something like bootleg trading when you have no shows yourself. I did not even know there was such a thing until I taped my first show. So, I am encouraging people to do 2:1 trades to get into the field... I have a much greater appreciation now that I have some live shows, and you will not believe what you're missing if you don't have any. I must confess, however, that there is an ulterior motive for my request. Frankly, I am poor and out of tapes, and 2:1 trading is a good way to get tapes for trading. It helps both of us. I get tapes to trade with, and the people who have no bootlegs can get started on an awesome new hobby. A 2:1 trade means that you send me 2 blank tapes (Maxell XL II) of the same length as the show you want, and I send one back to you with the show, and keep the other for further trading (in lieu of getting a show from you). If you are interested in this, check out my page at: http://centum.utulsa.edu/~MAXWELLKD/www/boot.html I'm sorry JODA... i know there are search engines out there, but some people (like myself) would never think to look for them. I know I would not have known that the field existed had i not read about it on the list... and the purpose of the list *IS* to spread TMBG info and discuss Them, so I think that messages about boot pages are relevent, as long as they're not spamming. Anyway, if this offends you, feel free to skip it. Thanks, Kris -THE DENOMINATOR- Maxwell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:37:25 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Message-ID: I don't think I've posted before, but I just wanted to say that I agree that TMBG does appeal to people who appreciate unconventional music. In addition to TMBG, I listen to Nine Inch Nails amd Marilyn Manson (but They are my favorite). Jon Misc a.k.a. Jonnie Coffman adding his 2 cents (and hoping he isn't off topic :) On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >So - Does TMBG appeal to the punk community? And why so? Just weird!!!! > > I couldn't really say, since I'm not sure if I count as "the punk > community". ;) But I can say that I count TMBG and the Sex Pistols as my > top two favorite bands... I was into TMBG first, then my friend Fill > (Kirsten waves; I know you're out there!) got me into the Sex Pistols a > little over a year ago, and since then I've sort of dabbled in the > punk/ska scene.. *shrug* I think anyone who just appreciates good, > unconventional music can love TMBG... This could be a factor. > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-203 ******************************