Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-205 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 205 Friday, 25 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. TMBG: That domain name does not exist. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240616.CAA05224@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:28 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12250.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:10 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA06058; Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:05:26 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:04:32 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA06023; Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:04:30 -0400 Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:04:30 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707230604.CAA06023@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-203 <<< This message is part 3 of a previous message >>> might I add that Joshua Hall-Something Or Other has a tendency to use illogic to fuel his holy wars... At any rate, it looks as though our opinions of FS are converging at a dangerously fast rate, so everybody better run for cover... -- I'm the president of the United States of Love. --Hair -- http://www.inca.de/user/ruprecht/ * ------------------------------ From: Sloane42@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:13:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970723001348_104977157@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Non TMBG: Lothar Co? I am just a lurker, but did I miss the definition of mr Simpson's Lothar Co? it has become an enigma... sorry for the random message, it is late and i know not what i type sloane * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970722231739.0907df74@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:17:39 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Woes At 12:04 AM 7/23/97 -0700, Ruprecht wrote: >Chaos Harlequin wrote: > >> >Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. >> >> That's what Ruprecht does. > > As long as we are in the proccess of making below the belt comments, That wasn't meant as a below-the-belt. You quite admittedly say that what TMBG were doing at first was what good and what they've done since is not good, right? If that's not an accurate assessment of your view, please give me a good whack upside the head. Really, if I wanted to take potshots at you I'd, oh, I don't know, call you an asshole or something stupid like that. >might I add that Joshua Hall-Something Or Other has a tendency to use >illogic to fuel his holy wars... Logic tends to gum up the gears and lower the gas mileage on holy wars. Only premium illogic will do the job for *my* holy wars. >At any rate, it looks as though our opinions of FS are converging at a >dangerously fast rate, Or, more accurately, mine is converging with yours, unless you like the album *more* now than you did before... Anyway, that is true, although I still like A18 and disagree with you about John Henry. >so everybody better run for cover... Ten months ago, I would've figured me siding with Ruprecht against the rest of tmbg-list was one of the signs of the coming apocalypse... /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:17:05 -0400 Message-Id: <199707230417.AAA03972@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: A note about bootlegs Hello Hello, I just wanted to let you all know that The Denominator's Little Bootleg Empire is REQUESTING 2:1 trades! I was a newbie not very long ago, and I know that it is hard to get into something like bootleg trading when you have no shows yourself. I did not even know there was such a thing until I taped my first show. So, I am encouraging people to do 2:1 trades to get into the field... I have a much greater appreciation now that I have some live shows, and you will not believe what you're missing if you don't have any. I must confess, however, that there is an ulterior motive for my request. Frankly, I am poor and out of tapes, and 2:1 trading is a good way to get tapes for trading. It helps both of us. I get tapes to trade with, and the people who have no bootlegs can get started on an awesome new hobby. A 2:1 trade means that you send me 2 blank tapes (Maxell XL II) of the same length as the show you want, and I send one back to you with the show, and keep the other for further trading (in lieu of getting a show from you). If you are interested in this, check out my page at: http://centum.utulsa.edu/~MAXWELLKD/www/boot.html I'm sorry JODA... i know there are search engines out there, but some people (like myself) would never think to look for them. I know I would not have known that the field existed had i not read about it on the list... and the purpose of the list *IS* to spread TMBG info and discuss Them, so I think that messages about boot pages are relevent, as long as they're not spamming. Anyway, if this offends you, feel free to skip it. Thanks, Kris -THE DENOMINATOR- Maxwell * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:37:25 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Message-ID: I don't think I've posted before, but I just wanted to say that I agree that TMBG does appeal to people who appreciate unconventional music. In addition to TMBG, I listen to Nine Inch Nails amd Marilyn Manson (but They are my favorite). Jon Misc a.k.a. Jonnie Coffman adding his 2 cents (and hoping he isn't off topic :) On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >So - Does TMBG appeal to the punk community? And why so? Just weird!!!! > > I couldn't really say, since I'm not sure if I count as "the punk > community". ;) But I can say that I count TMBG and the Sex Pistols as my > top two favorite bands... I was into TMBG first, then my friend Fill > (Kirsten waves; I know you're out there!) got me into the Sex Pistols a > little over a year ago, and since then I've sort of dabbled in the > punk/ska scene.. *shrug* I think anyone who just appreciates good, > unconventional music can love TMBG... This could be a factor. > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie > * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-203 ****************************** ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05343@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12251.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:10 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA08114; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:57 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:15 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA08084; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:13 -0400 Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:13 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707220604.CAA08084@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-202 <<< This message is part 2 of a previous message >>> > sounds that "the kids" seem to be looking for these days Dont forget S-E-X-X-Y's repetitiveness and easy to learn lyrics. > Till My Head > Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no > immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words > are almost unintelligible Hmm... I immediately got TMHFO stuck in my head, and I paid no attention to the lyrics, (I never do with any song at first.) Its very easy to sing along with, at least the chorus "Im not done, and I wont be till my head falls off" or whatever. I think that TMHFO is a very very good choice. Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. Maybe, just maybe, the audience of today is willing to embrace something new. I doubt it, but just maybe. I know many people have said this before, but if elektra really wanted to, I know they could make TMHFO a big hit. Instead, they promote "motley crue" (Im too lazy to look up the character for those two little dots) which is the single most derivative and worthless band out there... okay, the second, after oasis. Nuke alive, grim cup- Kevin Paul McGuire -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970323203600.006e5824@kalifornia.com> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:36:00 -0600 From: i0n Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... i definatly agree. tmhfo is a great song. i told all my non-tmbg-likeing friends to watch viva variety when they were on and they all loved them. one of them (who ONLY listens to punk) bought the cd right away. >> Snail Shell for it's repetativeness and >> easy to learn lyrics and SEXXY for it's groovy, retro, 70s throw back >> sounds that "the kids" seem to be looking for these days > >Dont forget S-E-X-X-Y's repetitiveness and easy to learn lyrics. > >> Till My Head >> Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no >> immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words >> are almost unintelligible > >Hmm... I immediately got TMHFO stuck in my head, and I paid no attention >to the lyrics, (I never do with any song at first.) Its very easy to >sing along with, at least the chorus "Im not done, and I wont be till my >head falls off" or whatever. I think that TMHFO is a very very good >choice. > >Ruprecht seems to be basing his ideas based on what has always been. >Maybe, just maybe, the audience of today is willing to embrace something >new. I doubt it, but just maybe. > >I know many people have said this before, but if elektra really wanted >to, I know they could make TMHFO a big hit. Instead, they promote >"motley crue" (Im too lazy to look up the character for those two little >dots) which is the single most derivative and worthless band out >there... okay, the second, after oasis. > >Nuke alive, grim cup- >Kevin Paul McGuire >-- >===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= >"You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the >end of e-mails? I hate those." > - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite >-==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= > > * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oh I love the storm that leaves no trace, like thoughts inside a dream. He is the band that led me to that place, yellow desert screams. Like shangrela beneath the summer moon, I will return to err. As the death that floats behind you, we're moving through Kashmir. -Led Zepplin * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:44:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Jul-97 TMBG: Single Debate... by Ruprecht J. Off\"@scnc.l > Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no > immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words > are almost unintelligible (especially at radio sound quality) losing that > whole sing along quality that previously big tmbg singles had. Think I don't know about that - my parents saw it on Viva Variety (as they tried, in vain, to tape it for me because I don't have Comedy Central) and when they told me about it they said "it was something about shower stalls and heads falling off..." so it did kind of stick. and it's the style that's just so cool... the lyrics don't need to stick on the first listen, IMHO... * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D43339.1872@netins.net> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:12:41 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: OldFriend's musings Well, I'm delightfully surprised at the positive response to my idea. Now there's no turning back, you'll get to hear all my thoughts (Note: for those of you who do not wish to be subjected to oddities, please stop reading and delete this message) I really don't know what there is for TMBG merchandise, outside an out-of-production keyring (Which should be put back into production, so I could get one). Could someone tell me what there is?? I'd pay for a rock and string if it was packaged with the TMBG logo. Hell, I just want some TMBG stuff. Let people see the real me. Well, here's something's I'd like to see. First off, a baseball cap with the TMBG logo off of Factory Showroom on it. Add some shorts with that same logo on it. I also want a Spiraling Shape. How about a TMBG watch? Ah, the clock tells me it's time to get to sleep. Also, my mom tells me the same thing... I thing this group can come up with some great merchandise ideas. The trouble is, who reads this list?? How can we get some of these ideas to someone who could actually do something about it?? And finally, where can I get a Rick to wind string around? (inside joke) Paul AKA OldFriend Salsa Lover with Extra Savoire-Faire * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:36:46 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild Message-ID: On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 expo67@webtv.net wrote: > First off, on the Quik commercial with Tommy, who is sick, and his > friends playing baseball, someone at the beginning says "Hey, where's > Tommy?" to which I reply 'someone find Tommy > We're out on the road'. It's fun. Yee, when I read this I thought, "Tommy can you hear me? Can you feel me near you?" That means that a. I'm old. b. My TMBG Recognition Factor is _way_ downtown (bang?) c. I'm a loser. I'm going for all three here, kiddies. > Now for my main point: we should create a call that we scream out in > public and any other They fans would reply with a set reply ex.: first > person says "I was born in a lighthouse" other They fans reply "My > mother was the sea". But, this would give Them publicity (which They > don't seem to like). On the other hand, it's a great way to meet other > fans or stick out like a sore thumb and get made fun of. I'm a very > self-destructive little boy. > I like this idea because it has great potential in all situations, not just concerts. Though I must say that I agree with who ever said that it wouldn't work at concerts because of the high lyric-recognition factor. Or yelling out songtitles, which makes me think of the four people in the audience who always yell out "Purple Toupee!" during the concerts (it's the "Freebird" of the TMBG world, I tell ya.) in order to get the Johns to play it but we know that _never_ works or they'd've played "Weep Day" at every concert. Anyway, I think a code would be fun in general. Like, "Blue dolphins eat green Cheet-o's at midnight" would be the sign, and "But yellow dogs howl at an orange moon" could be the counter sign. Imagine the fun of yelling these statements into a crowded room. I can...mmmmm.... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "Yeah, I'm living so amazed, we could have lived our lives the same. But we chose, and now we choose- did we win or did we lose?" -Planet Earth, "Living" * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-202 ****************************** ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05342@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12260.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:14 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA08623; Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:05:13 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:04:16 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA08595; Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:04:14 -0400 Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:04:14 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707210604.CAA08595@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 <<< This message is part 2 of a previous message >>> some are missing... this is where you.. the Official TMBG video Collection owner comes in ... I will send you $6.50 (same price Russ charges for his Bootleg's) and you will send me a copy on reg. grade tape of the TMBG Video Collection... If there are any replies to this... I will accept the first one I read... that's if I get any replies at all... P.S. TIM'S SIG IS STILL MISSING!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON HIS SIG PLEASE SEND IT TO Mr.Train@juno.com IT WENT SOMETHING LIKE: Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA --------- "Some cool quote"-Quoter's name... PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!!!! Thanks! Tim * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970720221828.00679e9c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:18:28 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >Rumor has it that there's no video and only one single >because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. I doubt if that's true. Usually, the video comes out before the single is released or right as it is released, to help the promotion of it. Kelley Kent * ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 19:58:45 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <33D2A635.3E25@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video Kelley Kent wrote: > > >Rumor has it that there's no video and only one single > >because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. > > I doubt if that's true. Usually, the video comes out before the > single is released or right as it is released, to help the promotion > of it. > > Kelley Kent I recall reading in Billboard that Elektra wanted to wait and see how SEXXY did on radio before a video was made... videos cost a lot of money and they weren't sure the song would be worth it(dorks). But there's always the chance that SEXXY will catch on and a video will be made... songs becoming popular long after being released isn't too uncommon... and with electronica being the latest craze, who knows? It has a techno feel to it... * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D2C97A.343A@netins.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:29:14 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: TMBG chess Hey all, I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. Paul OldFriend on EFnet #TMBG * ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:21:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tiny Toons reminder. Message-ID: <19970720.232140.3790.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> It is Monday, and I just want to remind all that Tiny Toons video special is on today on Nickelodeon at 2:00 p.m. (Eastern) Istanbul and Particle Man by They. -Anonymous (It's not me!) * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970721033138.0067cc34@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:31:38 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >I recall reading in Billboard that Elektra wanted to wait and see how >SEXXY did on radio before a video was made... videos cost a lot of money >and they weren't sure the song would be worth it(dorks). >But there's always the chance that SEXXY will catch on and a video will >be made... songs becoming popular long after being released isn't too >uncommon... and with electronica being the latest craze, who knows? It >has a techno feel to it... > Very true: Elektra is infested with dorks. Maybe a remix is what SEXXY needs. And no, not that way-too-long-and-boring Microwave crap. Bleh. Or even better, why not release a new single? TMHFO gets my vote. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) * ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:38:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720233855_61182162@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >> I recall reading in Billboard that Elektra wanted to wait and see how SEXXY did on radio before a video was made... videos cost a lot of money and they weren't sure the song would be worth it(dorks). But there's always the chance that SEXXY will catch on and a video will be made... songs becoming popular long after being released isn't too uncommon... and with electronica being the latest craze, who knows? It has a techno feel to it...>> I dunno, "SEXXY" isn't nearly electronica enough to ride the coattails of that craze--I think there's a better chance that another song off of FS might catch on enough to merit the expense of a video. According to the sticker on FS, the other two planned singles are "Til My Head Falls Off" and "NYC." TMHFO, so I hear, was already released as a radio-only single (meaning no bonus track ep) and was performed on Viva Variety, but so far I haven't heard of it being played on the radio much. Of course I think it was evil of Elektra not to give them the money for a video right from the start, since a single pretty much needs a video for anyone to pay attention to it these days, but I guess it's a trade off--sort of like "Ok, you guys do what you want, just don't expect us to pump a lot of dough into promoting it," which is probably better than if Elektra had given them a lot of money for videos--let's face it, the more a record company invests in a band, the more control they want over what the band does. Another factor is that the Johns might not be all that crazy about making videos anymore, so maybe they didn't put up much of a fight for one. I think a more important point is that they need to pick better singles; as much as I like "Snail Shell" and "SEXXY," they are not the strongest songs on their respective albums. I understand why they chose them--they wanted to present a different sound to expand their audience, and both of those songs are indeed different from their earlier singles like "Birdhouse," "Ana Ng," and "Don't Let's Start," but those songs made better singles because they imprint themselves on your brain right away whereas "Snail Shell" (which did have a cool video, tho it seems to be the least popular one) and "SEXXY," while both fine songs, take a bit longer to grow on you. Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? Guess that's enough rambling for now! Kay, who kinda wishes there had been a video for "SEXXY" to see if They would have come up with a new dance ;) * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D2F5E4.33AC@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:38:44 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Hoo-ray! I'm back from summer camp and ready to post! First: I just picked up a few FREE Then poster thingies... they're about the size of a record case, and have the ship-in-a-bottle on the front, and a little record deal thingy on the back. I'd be willing to trade one or two of those for a small bootleg... any takers? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D2F53A.47B1@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:35:54 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess > Hey all, > I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought > I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. > I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be > characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. Hmm... Chess Piece Face? And where would Particle Man come in? Linnell: Bwa ha ha, Particle Man to King's Knight... dammit!! Flans: What? Linnell: I dropped the piece! Run and get the tweezers, quick! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-201 ****************************** ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05273@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12240.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:08 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA04928; Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:56 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:20 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA04898; Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:19 -0400 Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:19 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707240604.CAA04898@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-204 <<< This message is part 3 of a previous message >>> >>I'm glad to say that once Mike gets back on the digest I won't have >to >>feel teh need to fill these lists everyday! =) > >you complain about people posting useful things, and then you openly >admit >that you're trying to "fill these lists", presumably with meaningless >drivel... > >do me a favor, stop filling the list... > >TRippy OKAY, AS I CAN SEE that some of you are in opposition to my trying to help you out and give you something to talk about (despite the number of people that told me the list was retarded without mike and vlad to do the above themselves) I have now UNSUBSCRIBED myself from the list. hmm... i'm sorry to have tried to help out and tried to have added something interesting to discuss. I guess i just assumed that because my posts did succeed in filling hte lists due to everyones responses, that you people actually had something to say about the stuff i was adding. If anyone needs or wants to talk to me you can reach me at TMBgirl@juno.com (only one g) Other than that... i'm sorry to have wasted your time with "meaningless drivel" i hope to see you guys on the next tour...nerf herder or THey take it easy, JOrdaN oh yeah, i guess I have one more thing to say... CHECK OUT MY FUCKIN BOOTLEG PAGE THAT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN FOREVER AT: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707240101.UAA01606@csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:06:43 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: A note about bootlegs I'd just like to clear up a little misconception certain people *cough* seem to be promoting. That 2:1 trading is newbie friendly. Really now. A person goes and buys 2 tapes, 2 mailers, and postage both ways. YOU spend 10 seconds starting the tape on the first side, 15 seconds flipping the tape and starting it on the second side, and whatever mailing it. Add to that the fact that the whole time a newbie is going through this process of buying, mailing, etc that they're scared they're gonna mess something up, and look like a fool to an established trader. Muchas pressure on them. You for ALL your trouble wind up with a free blank and end up looking like a god. If you really wanna do something to help someone, do what I and others do. Skip that 2:1, crap and give them 2:2. You do something that's actually nice for someone, you spread the good music of They, all it costs you is a little time. I know that there are others on the list who feel the same way, including one who helped me get my collection started. Anyway, I agree with Trippy's post that said "people posting their bootleg lists and such is probably the most useful thing on this list." Er, at least one of the most useful. Sorry about that, people who act like heros cause they 2:1 tick me off. What else? Oh yeah, I don't think They could have released NYC. I know they have done other covers, but both were from the 50s, am I right? Thinking about it, Cub is no more soooo, well I'm not sure what that helps. But I don't see why Till My Head falls off wouldn't make a good single. Sure you can't understand some of the words the first time, but geee, I instantly memorized Teen Spirit. Or something. Dylan "This isn't what I'm normally like, I'm usually a nice guy. Really" Flipse -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. * ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:30:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970723202900_-2043377384@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bootlegs Hello 41- I would like to add my little bit on this topic... 2:1's- I see no problem with these in the least bit. It benefits both people involved, and really isn't difficult. As with pressure on the newbie? I really don't see that. All you have to do is make sure you have the right kind of tape (which entails reading...not difficult) and possibly not sending the case in a padded envelope, which is also not difficult. And I know that the meanacing mail clerks who are also tough to deal with, but these are the rigors of tape trading. The person on the other end may have gone through a lot more stress if he recorded the show himself and had to sneak the recorder in, and be super-sleuthman with it all. Lists to the list- I also see no problem with this. A heck of a lot less TMBG related things go through these channels. People trying to expand thier TMBG (on the most part) collections is not a bad thing at all. Problem- The only problem I see in trading is people just wanting to make a profit from their trading. This is a bad thing that gives trading a bad name in some people's eyes. Adam * ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:04:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootlegs Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Jul-97 TMBG: Bootlegs by NitpickR@aol.com > 2:1's- I see no problem with these in the least bit. It benefits both > people involved, and really isn't difficult. As with pressure on the newbie? > I really don't see that. All you have to do is make sure you have the right > kind of tape (which entails reading...not difficult) and possibly not sending > the case in a padded envelope, which is also not difficult. And I know that > the meanacing mail clerks who are also tough to deal with, but these are the > rigors of tape trading. The person on the other end may have gone through a > lot more stress if he recorded the show himself and had to sneak the recorder > in, and be super-sleuthman with it all. benefits both people? I buy two tapes, spend the postage to mail three, and end up with one? How does that benefit me? (from here on, I'm not ranting at you specifically, just the whole idea in general) why 2:1 just because someone doesn't have anything to trade - or worse, they do have stuff to trade, but you don't *want* any of it... this is why I trade 1:1 (or 5:5 as is more often the case :). I have almost 60 bootlegs and am getting at least 15 more. For one, what would I *do* with all my extra blank tapes if I couldn't trade with anyone because I had almost everything? and also, everyone has to start somewhere. I started because someone was nice enough to loan me some of his tapes and let me copy them. I started with about 10 and traded for the rest, gradually. additionally, it is illegal to profit from these tapes as none of us holds the copyright on the music - I know that some of you are probably going to question the legality of the whole thing - it's not illegal. TMBG have all but endorsed the taping of their shows, and in venues where taping isn't allowed, they cannot do anything after the fact (the worst that would happen is *if* you're caught *while taping*, they can kick you out and confiscate the tape - most places prohibit use, but not possession - they can't do anything if it's turned off). But making a profit (whether it's money or tapes) is illegal. and I would like to suggest a web page for anyone brave enough (or with enough spare time) to maintain it - a list of bootleg traders who trade 1:1 for blanks. or perhaps the maintainers of the tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org page would like to place fields in the table to identify those traders who trade 1:1 for blanks. I will make a request, though, now that this whohle issue has come to light - I'm really bogged down at the moment with several trades (for blanks and other boots), and I'm moving in three weeks. Please don't email me right now about trading. Everyone who already has emailed me will be taken care of, but until further notice, all other requests will be denied... (but not permanently... I should be up and running again in mid August) * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:24:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG: RE: jenny mccarthy show Message-ID: <19970723.222552.3366.2.stephsharer@juno.com> From: stephsharer@juno.com (Stephanie E Sharer) hey- to whoever asked about TMBG on the jenny mccarthy show-i heard the EXACT same thing from a totally normal (not crack head) girl who knows i am obsessed with tmbg. she said that she was flipping through the channels and tada there was john and john on the jenny m. show. DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? i really want to see it!! still waiting for a poster!! ~Stephanie * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 23:48:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Huge Pulsating Ever-Growing Brain That Rules From The Center Of The Ultraworld Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: jenny mccarthy show Message-ID: Hey/hay, This really, really frightens me. not that there's anything *wrong* with Jenny McCarthy or anything... But seriously, folks, could they have stooped much lower that *that*? Oh. They could have done an MLB ad, never mind. ;) DISCLAIMER: The HPEGBTRFTCOTUW will not be held responsible for anything written in this e-mail message referring to Major League Baseball. If you're offended, too bad. Elitza Nicolaou The Huge Pulsating Ever-Growing Brain That Rules From The Center Of The Ultraworld can be reached at or Visit her at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ When we are born, all humans are clueless, self-absorbed, and helpless. Most babies will grow out of it. Those who don't become managers. On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Stephanie E Sharer wrote: > hey- > to whoever asked about TMBG on the jenny mccarthy show-i heard the EXACT > same thing from a totally normal (not crack head) girl who knows i am > obsessed with tmbg. she said that she was flipping through the channels > and tada there was john and john on the jenny m. show. DOES ANYONE ELSE > KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? i really want to see it!! > > still waiting for a poster!! > ~Stephanie > * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-204 ****************************** ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05368@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12280.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:16 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA12501; Sun, 20 Jul 1997 02:05:57 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Sun, 20 Jul 1997 02:04:10 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA12464; Sun, 20 Jul 1997 02:04:09 -0400 Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 02:04:09 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707200604.CAA12464@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-200 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 200 Sunday, 20 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Re: TMBG: Viva Oops TMBG: Re: new years in poughkipsee TMBG: OMLC TMBG: Re:TMBG B-Day Card TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-199 TMBG: Key Chain? TMBG: My Bootleg page, etc... Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Re: TMBG: Key Chain? Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... TMBG: confusion TMBG: Any Space Ghost news? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 00:02:12 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Message-ID: <19970719.000216.16838.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:31:13 -0400 Kelley Kent writes: >I really don't see J&J as "glory hounds." I think They do it >all for their fans and because they have fun. Course, that's >just me. > Guys, DOn;t get me wrong from my posting the question because i agree 100% with this... "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D06462.387B@rica.net> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 02:53:22 -0400 From: joey groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Viva Oops Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 97-07-18 15:31:32 EDT, you write: > > << Eric- no glasses, blonde, facial hair, well liked > > Graham- glasses, frizzy brown hair, not so popular >> > > WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? You are VERY confused. Everyone likes Graham, most > people hate Eric. And Graham does NOT wear Glasses, nor does he have frizzy > hair. Yep, sorry again. Late for work, not checking myself. Kidding about glasses and tattos and turbans, glad I didn't go with lame Linel and Slansburg. Joey, halfway competent at the whole right shoe left shoe thing,back to lurking, remembering why * ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 03:43:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970719034329_506452230@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: new years in poughkipsee In a message dated 7/19/97 8:15:35 AM, you wrote: >Does anyone know when the tickets go on sale for this thing? I'm >talking about the Dec 31, 1997 concert in Poughkeepsie, NY. Being >in Ohio and a poor college student, I'd rather not call long >distance, only to be put on hold forever. And the Cincinnati TM >office said I had to call Albany's TM location. If any nice NY >TMBG fan would like to call and maybe find out for us, I and >the rest of us interested in going would be greatly thankful. :^) i think thats a ticketmaster error from last year but since this is the nth time its come up in a few days i'll call in the morning and post if its for real. remembering last years nye confusion (which ended in Blues Traveler eew), ~liz "dont stand by me... or i'll revolve around you"- candy butchers * ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:08:28 -0400 Subject: TMBG: OMLC Message-ID: <19970719.040830.13670.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Was there any progress in the discussion of the OMLC? Was it decided to be too rediculous a concept? Fill me in. * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D088CA.4960@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 02:28:43 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG B-Day Card Jake wrote: >Remember the song "Extra Savior-Faire"? >I was at a drug store and I was looking in the card section and there was a >birthday card that had a drawing of a woman at a table and the front read: >"Happy Birthday to the man with Savoir-Faire" >and then when you opened it up and it read: >"Savoir-Faire is french for farts that would even gag a maggot" >Crude but effective. >Jake >"TV movies, made for TV" -Papas Fritas >http://members.aol.com/mrshow/index.html Did they also have a get well card with a cartoon nurse? (RE: Papas Fritas: WOW! Someone else out there likes them?! ) -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah * ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 06:08:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970719060852_1724574521@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-199 In a message dated 97-07-19 03:15:35 EDT, you write: << Did they make a TMBG key chain, that had the shape of the key with the teeth being the letters TMBG? or was i halucinating? I wanted to order it, but i cant find it in the newleter, or the web site now... did they stop making them :( >> They did make them, because I have one that I ordered through the catalog about 2 years ago. I have no idea if they're still being made, but it is by far the coolest keychain I've ever had (it attract a lot of stupid questions). * ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 13:35:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Key Chain? Message-ID: <19970719.133524.3358.0.stephsharer@juno.com> From: stephsharer@juno.com (Stephanie E Sharer) <> yes they did but they stopped making it. when the tmbg homepage first came out they had it for sale in the online catalog but when i tried to order the key chain (and the poster) they sent my a thing saying they stopped making them. by the way-does anyone know where i can get a tmbg poster? i've been looking for one for a LONG time and i can't get one. ~Stephanie * ------------------------------ From: Madcup1@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 14:09:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970719140958_1791303799@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My Bootleg page, etc... First of all, i just finished my *updated* bootleg page, it's not much, but i'm working on it... http://www.angelfire.com/il/Madcup/index.html... maybe if I could learn HTML coding it would look a lot better. No... that requires too much effort. Visit my page if you'd like to trade. I do accept blanks 2:1 if anyone is interested. -Jeff Cox "This world's too cold, so I'm gonna go, I'm moving to the sun"- TMBG By the way... If anyone can can come up with any TMBG rarities that they are willing to part with, i could pay big money for them (i.e. the guitar, i palindrome i, statue got me high, posters , promo cds , etc...) just e-mail me and I'll make an offer, you will then respond by saying "h-e-double-l no" and I will then raise my offer a couple hundred dollars...you get the point. * ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... Message-ID: <19970719.163201.4687.4.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:40:53 EDT >Not me. I mean, with Factory Showroom, they only had one single and >made no >videos, which kind of makes it hard for them to have a hit. Ok I was in Hills (a local dept. store) a while back and you know those machines where you press the picture of an album and it shows a clip from the video? There was one of those machines there and it had a picture of FS! I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! I don't remember much I do remember seeing "The Guy" in it though...if They made no videos then what was that? Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" * ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 17:31:09 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970719173108_193454621@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... In a message dated 97-07-19 16:44:15 EDT, you write: > Ok I was in Hills (a local dept. store) a while back and you know those > machines where you press the picture of an album and it shows a clip from > the > video? There was one of those machines there and it had a picture of FS! > I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! > I don't remember much I do remember seeing "The Guy" in it though...if > They > made no videos then what was that? > Ooops, sorry, well, I thought they hadn't made a video for the album; at least that's what I heard, anyway. Patrick, or "How I learned to Stop Comaplining and screw up every piece of information that comes my way, I'm sorry, I'm wrong always, I feel like crap now" * ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 19 Jul 97 19:53 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Key Chain? >by the way-does anyone know where i can get a tmbg poster? i've been >looking for one for a LONG time and i can't get one. Ditto. Rocky supposedly had one in his backseat for me from the Calvin show, but I never got it... (Fill, can't you *do* something?! ;)) Anyway, I need one. Do they still make that JH poster? Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie * ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 19 Jul 97 19:56 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: New LIST-FILLING ? of the day...it's good.... >> I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! >> I don't remember much I do remember seeing "The Guy" in it though...if >> They >> made no videos then what was that? >Ooops, sorry, well, I thought they hadn't made a video for the album; at >least that's what I heard, anyway. I believe that Sneak Previews video was strung-together clips from other TMBG videos, not a new video. So Patrick, you're not wrong; you can stop hiding in the corner. :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970719163410.0073cacc@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 17:00:44 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: confusion > Now for my main point: we should create a call that we scream out in >public and any other They fans would reply with a set reply ex.: first >person says "I was born in a lighthouse" other They fans reply "My >mother was the sea". But, this would give Them publicity (which They >don't seem to like). On the other hand, it's a great way to meet other >fans or stick out like a sore thumb and get made fun of. I'm a very >self-destructive little boy. Aren't you, though. :) Your suggestion is an interesting one, except... Most listies meet at concerts. TMBG concerts, like those of most other cult bands, are attended mostly by people already familiar with the work. Yelling out TMBG lyrics will not adequately separate the listies from the non-listies, since non-listies can and probably will respond. My method is to yell "LIST?!" at the top of my lungs and see who responds. This accomplishes two goals: 1) It summons listies. 2) Everyone backs away from me in fear, and I get a bit more breathing room. :) >Did they make a TMBG key chain, that had the shape of the key with >the teeth being the letters TMBG? or was i halucinating? I wanted to order >it, but i cant find it in the newleter, or the web site now... did they stop >making them :( Yes, no, and yes, unfortunately. :( I still have mine; it's way kewl. >Eric- no glasses, blonde, facial hair, well liked >Graham- glasses, frizzy brown hair, not so popular You've got their relative popularities backwards (Eric was greeted with immense dislike by the online TMBG community, Graham is considered "one of the gang"), and anyway I thought that Graham had no glasses and straight brown hair, but then again I've only seen TMBG twice (once with Brian/Eric/Graham, once with Dan/Graham) so I don't know fer sure. You may be getting Brian and/or Dan into the equation, which would further complicate matters. --nicole the wonder nerd has crushed my evil heart *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org #include std_disclaimer * ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 23:05:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970719230534_525929470@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Any Space Ghost news? I believe the new season of Space Ghost is underway, so I was wondering if those of you fortunate enough to have the Cartoon Network have been watching it for Flans' alleged appearance, perhaps on the anniversary special that either just aired or will be airing soon. If I'm not mistaken, Flans taped it when They were in Atlanta for a show (Linnell wasn't there for the taping 'cause he missed the plane or something), so I would assume that's where the Cartoon Network is based. So if anyone (ideally in the Atlanta area) has the phone number too the Cartoon Network handy and feels like giving them a call to find out when Flans' episode will air (or at least get a confirmation that he will be on), I and I'm sure many other listees would greatly appreciate it!! Kay * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-200 ****************************** ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05344@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12240.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:08 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA04928; Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:56 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:20 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA04898; Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:19 -0400 Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:04:19 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707240604.CAA04898@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-204 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 204 Thursday, 24 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: PODAS II TMBG: James Ensor in Halloween / Bootlegs TMBG: A note about bootlegs TMBG: MIKE IS BACK!!! TMBG: TMBG paraphernalia Re: TMBG: A note about bootlegs TMBG: Mike's illness (fwd) Mike's illness TMBG: OldFriend's take on The End of the Tour TMBG: Flood(ing) TMBG: flood videos, school supplies, and hotdogs Re: TMBG: flood videos, school supplies, and hotdogs TMBG: Just what is TMBG?? Re: TMBG: Just what is TMBG?? Re: TMBG: Just what is TMBG?? Re: TMBG: Just what is TMBG?? Re: TMBG: flood videos, school supplies, and hotdogs TMBG: Re: Road Movie without Hope and Crosby? TMBG: FS By-Genre... TMBG: Re: MIKE IS BACK!!! TMBG: Another Conquerer Returns Somewhat Victorious TMBG: ***NON-TMBG*** LotharCo TMBG: A note about THIS LIST...bye Re: TMBG: A note about bootlegs TMBG: Bootlegs Re: TMBG: Bootlegs TMBG: RE: jenny mccarthy show Re: TMBG: RE: jenny mccarthy show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:32:22 -0400 Message-Id: <199707230632.CAA07488@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: PODAS II Hey all, Just letting you know that I will be getting the eMPTY: PODAS 2 compilation soon, and will be trading with anyone who wants it. I'll let you know when I get it! Kris * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 06:24:16 -0400 Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970723062239.25e7d016@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: James Ensor in Halloween / Bootlegs > I did not see this with my naked eyes, but my naked friend swears > that he saw a print of a James Ensor painting in Jamie Lee Curtis's > room in the horror film _Halloween_ . He even says that Ensor's name > is at the bottom of the print. (it's a poster reproduction). Anyone > seen this? I've seen it. In fact, I think I made a stink about it on this list last November. ----------------- > I just wanted to let you all know that The Denominator's Little > Bootleg Empire is REQUESTING 2:1 trades! > > http://centum.utulsa.edu/~MAXWELLKD/www/boot.html > Kris -THE DENOMINATOR- Maxwell Please please please do the 2:1 trade with Kris. I want my tapes, and I can't get them unless a sudden surge of blanks pours forth (BTW: Kris is the first person to get a copy of PODAS 2 from me, it might be a good idea to get on The Denominator's good side). ;) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://goatboy.home.ml.org/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:22:18 -0600 Subject: TMBG: A note about bootlegs Message-ID: <19970723.092244.6462.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Okay, so everyone here's my proposal then: We have one day (even one day a month) where we all just post our bootleg pages and that be that I'm still for doing something like this tho: ******************************************************* "Count the arms, the legs, and heads and then divide by five" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html <---GO THERE!!! IT"S FUN TO TRADE BOOTLEGS...what you say you don't have anything to trade? I TAKE blanks!!! =) ******************************************************** * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:16:42 -0600 Subject: TMBG: MIKE IS BACK!!! Message-ID: <19970723.092244.6462.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Hey HEy Everbody... SO it turns out mike DIDN't move to the sun as i first predicted. Mike it's KWel that you're OK and we're all happy to have you back! I'm glad to say that once Mike gets back on the digest I won't have to feel teh need to fill these lists everyday! =) SO, I guess that Christy the SHoe GOddess person thing is the only one left on teh moon.... she took all the OMLT's there too! "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:13:00 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG paraphernalia Message-ID: <19970723.092244.6462.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) >Well, for one thing, i KNOW that there exists the hat with the FS TMBG logo >on it... TMBGirl has one, I saw it at the Lawrence, Kansas show :) Tis true I have BOTH the FS logo hat and the THEY hat (signed by flans, graham, and dan) >ALso, you should check out tmbg.com for some of their merchandise, or see if >you can get intot he info club (they never sent me anything in response to >my membership request....grrrrrr) They have t-shirts and stickers and coffee >mugs and the like. TMBG.com is more updated than the last info club letter... like there is a new and improved mouse pad... i think it has www.tmbg.com on it but i dunno/// >I have found my own way of making TMBG paraphernalia, however. I got some >of those nigty t-shirt transfers for my printer and make as many ORIGINAL >TMBG shirts and I can stand (read "afford to print") ! It's great! Heheheee, I do this too, However I usually make Jewlery and the such (like the sterling silver THEY ring i made and gave to linny) I make My own keychains too... The last one I made was sterling silver and said THEY like on Misc. T. I make patches too... they RICK the house cuz they are the KWelest oidjfoia's around "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:36:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: A note about bootlegs At 15:22 -0000 7/23/97, I have no Name wrote: >Okay, >so everyone here's my proposal then: > >We have one day (even one day a month) where we all just post our bootleg >pages and that be that stop whining about the stupid bootlegs... people posting their bootleg lists and such is probably the most useful thing on this list >I'm glad to say that once Mike gets back on the digest I won't have to >feel teh need to fill these lists everyday! =) you complain about people posting useful things, and then you openly admit that you're trying to "fill these lists", presumably with meaningless drivel... do me a favor, stop filling the list... TRippy * ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199707231558.LAA17703@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Mike's illness (fwd) Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:58:15 -0400 (EDT) ----- Forwarded message from Nicole Carlson ----- * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:54:25 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Mike's illness > Hello, Hello! It's Mike Leffel here! Sorry I've been >gone for so long, but I've been quite ill and I just thought >I would peep in and say hello! >(*)The type of coma I fell into usually kills people off, or >at least severely damages their minds. I came out.. normal. > >God, I hate my life. *nicole slips into unaccustomed seriousness* I don't know what to say... Anyone know what hospital he's at? Any way to find out? Let's surprise him with cards! I'll try and find one with a cartoon nurse. :) --nicole "Because I think Mike is way kewl!" the wonder nerd *** "Once again, we find that clowning and anarchy do not mix!"--The Tick Nicole Carlson ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nicole@peacefire.org ----- End of forwarded message from Nicole Carlson ----- * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D62CE7.2F58@netins.net> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:10:15 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: OldFriend's take on The End of the Tour Hey all, This is probably my favorite song, and I've been thinking about what it means, here goes. There's a girl with a crown and a scepter Who's on WLSD And she says that the scene isn't what it's been And she's thinking of going home That it's old and it's totally over now And it's old and it's over, it's over now And it's over, it's over, it's over now I can see myself The girl is a female music star, and is the "queen" of the radio, gets lots of playtime on WLSD. However, she's sick of touring, the fans are getting on her nerves, she's going to quit touring. At the end of the tour When the road disappears If there's any more people around When the tour runs aground And if you're still around Then we'll meet at the end of the tour The engagements are booked through the end of the world So we'll meet at the end of the tour Never to part since the day we met Out on Interstate 91 I was bent metal you were a flaming wreck When we kissed at the overpass I was sailing along with the people Driving themselves to distraction inside me Then came a knock on the door which was odd And the picture abruptly changed The singer is a fan of the girl, and has been stalking her, hoping to meet her, but can't work up the courage to actually get close to her. Finally, he sees her while they're both driving on Interstate 91. He is overcomes with conflicting emotions, the people, and he loses control of the vehicle, crashing into hers. She is killed in a fiery wreck while he is put into a coma. At the end of the tour When the road disappears If there's any more people around When the tour runs aground And if you're still around Then we'll meet at the end of the tour The engagements are booked through the end of the world So we'll meet at the end of the tour This was the vehicle these were the people You opened the door and expelled all the people This was the vehicle these were the people You opened the door and expelled all the people This was the vehicle these were the people You let them go He is trapped in the coma, reliving the accident. The coma has dispelled all his emotions, expelling the people. Now all he has is his memories of the accident and her. That's where "Never to part" comes in. At the end of the tour When the road disappears If there's any more people around When the tour runs aground And if you're still around Then we'll meet at the end of the tour The engagements are booked through the end of the world So we'll meet at the end of the tour And we're never gonna tour again No, we're never gonna tour again The "you" is the girl. The singer is stuck in his coma, in the hospital. Only when the world ends, he dies, will the tour, his life, end. He hopes to meet her in the afterlife. * ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:49:55 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970723124905_1422171509@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flood(ing) Wow, a TMBG song relates to my life. Right now as I speak (type) my neighborhood is flooding with water. It rained all night long and this morning and has cause the river that is a football field away from my house to overrun and flow into my neighborhood. We live on a hill so we won't be flooded out of our home and the rain has stopped, but the water has come up to the tip of our driveway (Why do we park in a driveway and drive in a parkway?) Jake (the doorman) "Spice Girls are like your childern. You have to love them all." http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 <---my TMBG site http://members.aol.com/mrshow/muff.html <---my Muffs web site * ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707231655.JAA24744@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:55:16 -0500 Subject: TMBG: flood videos, school supplies, and hotdogs Well, I saw the Tiny Toon Adventures episode with Istanbul and Particle Man, and know I want to see the real videos. Does anyone know where I can find these (maybe someone could be nice enough to risk thier sanity for the list and beg MTV to play all Thier videos in one big block :-)? Does anyone notice how the word "hotdog" can be fitted into TMBG lyrics (actually, this works with any two syllable word)? He wants a hotddog, hotdog with fries; hotdog where are you?; Put your hand inside the hotdog bun etc. Lastly, are there any TMBG school supplies? I seriosly doubt this but I figure it's worth a try. * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:33:19 -0700 (PDT) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: flood videos, school supplies, and hotdogs Message-ID: On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 expo67@webtv.net wrote: > Well, I saw the Tiny Toon Adventures episode with Istanbul and > Particle Man, and know I want to see the real videos. Does anyone know > where I can find these I've found them in my local Blockbuster video store. Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/ * ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:03:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970723150331_-223819147@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Just what is TMBG?? > Pop works on one principle, and one principle alone: is catchy, will sell. This got me thinking, which usually isn't a good thing.... I've always considered TMBG to be an alternative duo/occaisonal band. This is because when I thi ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05275@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12251.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:10 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA08114; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:57 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:15 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA08084; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:13 -0400 Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:04:13 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707220604.CAA08084@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-202 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 202 Tuesday, 22 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: I'M TOPFUELED...AND MAD!!!! Re: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... TMBG: OMLT Non-TMBG:MP:Hello TMBG: 120 minutes Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 TMBG: eMPTY is here! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 TMBG: Which Singles? (was Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: Single Debate... TMBG: OldFriend's musings Re: TMBG: tommy and call of the wild Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970721000001.007a19c0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 00:00:03 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess At 09:29 PM 20/07/97 -0500, you wrote: >Hey all, >I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought >I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. >I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be >characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. Interesting. I think the pieces would have to be something more recognizable, though (characters from the songs could look like all kinds of things). Perhaps the Johns in poses and costumes from the various videos? Either of Them in The Big Tall Hat from the DLS video would make a great bishop. Perhaps the two sides could be all Linnell and all Flansburgh... John vs. John! Imagine, if you will, Linnell with accordion in hand(s), on top of a cylindrical platform as seen in the Statue video, looking down as the benevolent King. The left-arm-outstretched-from-Ana-Ng knights. Possibilities are endless. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ * ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:34:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970721023442_-1609494681@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video > Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better > first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? Yes, I agree.... For John Henry, I would've picked "Extra Savior-Faire" For Factory Showroom, "Till My Head Falls Off" That's my $.01 (I can't afford two! Sniff.) Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 01:04:10 -0600 Subject: TMBG: I'M TOPFUELED...AND MAD!!!! Message-ID: <19970721.010602.6470.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) grrrr.... PLEASE STOP ADVERTISING YOUR WEB-PAGES ON THE LIST.... if you feel the need to show your webpage's address simply place it in your signature... other than that can we pleeeeeease stop sayiing "heh heh i just got my bootleg page updated..." there are search engines for that "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, an angry JOrdaN that can;t be too angry cuz she just scored a poster from vlad! =) (the beauties of never going to sleep and getting all your mail at 1:00 in the morning (mountain time)) =) * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:24:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... Message-ID: On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, I have no Name wrote: > it's gonna be lincoln;s birthday (on IRC) and secondly to honor JonBob > (who i just recently found out is the man behind www.tmbg.org) Cuz, well I hate to take credit as "the man behind" tmbg.org. We're a team here. :-) If anything, that credit goes to Leo, who owns the machine. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:07:34 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLT Message-ID: <19970721.090744.12222.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) where did hte shoe-goddess christy go with all the Omlt's?? Did she move to the sun with mike leffel? anyone? please pass the milk please JOrdaN * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:34:36 -0700 Subject: Non-TMBG:MP:Hello Message-ID: <19970721.093439.13974.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I don't know if this has already been said. I apologize if it has. I just got Unsupervised, and was singing along with Hello Hello when I realized that it was exactly the same as the song Hello by Oasis. I checked the fine print and realized it was a cover. Why then is it called Hello on the Oasis CD, and Hello Hello on Unsupervised? Josh Nielsen * ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707211738.KAA04395@mailtod-113.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:38:03 -0500 Subject: TMBG: 120 minutes I didn't know that they still played They videos on 120 minutes. How will we find out if they do play a video? I would be willing to tape it every night, I guess. * ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Jul 97 14:10 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY video >For John Henry, I would've picked "Extra Savior-Faire" I think I would've picked "Out of Jail," "Sleeping In the Flowers," or maybe "AKA Driver." Something with a slightly more "mainstream" appeal, I guess. Not that "Savior-Faire" isn't a great song; it just wouldn't appeal to the average radio listener as readily. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie * ------------------------------ From: Forsithia0@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:54:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970721145355_42393720@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 uh...hi...um...i don't know if this will reach everyone cuz i'm computer retarded, but i just heard that THEY were on the Jenny McCarthy show and i was real mad cuz i missed it but then i thought that maybe the kid who told me was on crack or something.....so i just want to know if it was on and all the crazy details and stuff. ------eve * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:00:07 -0400 Message-Id: <2.2.16.19970721142553.25df9118@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: eMPTY is here! I just got the new compilation in the mail today. Here is the setlist, though I cannot provide trades at the current time (I'm already backlogged with trade orders). So look for it at your local trader list! More Power To You PODAS Part 2 Tape Compiled by: Mr. Tissue and Cappy Ernest Fidel Graphic Design by: Byk'l of Backspace Media You Can Get Your Own DAS Fix At 1-718-387-6962 Narrrrrr I. Unreleased Songs We Missed The First Time Dial-A-Song Jingle #5 (Power of Dial-A-Song w/organ) Coffee Table of Love Side Two (Instrumental) Reminder II. New Unreleased Dial-A-Songs Rat Patrol Car Without A Handle When Tornadoes Take Over The World Summer Sublet Two People In Love III. Demos For Released Songs Dial-A-Song Jingle #6: Welcome To The World Road Movie To Berlin Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love Lie Still Little Bottle / Racist Friend (Blunt) Hey Mr. DJ (more finished version) Santa's Beard I've Got A Match Cabbagetown If I Wasn't Shy Hall of Heads Stormy Pinkness Women And Men Free Bird (I Blame You version 2) See The Constellation (version 2) Twistin' (extended mix) Spider Dial-A-Song Jingle #7: A TMBG Song She's Actual Size (version 1) Hypnotist of Ladies Mammal She's Actual Size (version 2) "Live Like Pigs" Rap Dead Siftin' Lullaby To Nightmares Whirpool Snail Shell Dirt Bike The End Of The Tour Ondine (w/Nixon impersonator) Sleeping in the Flowers (old) Spiralling Shape Your Own Worst Enemy IV. Mono Puff Demos Mockingbird What Bothers The Spaceman Nixon's The One Don't I Have The Right V. I Palindrome I (early/Flans) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://goatboy.home.ml.org/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ * ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:18:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970721161806_-1811273439@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 << uh...hi...um...i don't know if this will reach everyone cuz i'm computer retarded, but i just heard that THEY were on the Jenny McCarthy show and i was real mad cuz i missed it but then i thought that maybe the kid who told me was on crack or something.....so i just want to know if it was on and all the crazy details and stuff. >> Oh, good God, what a scary thought!!! I can just picture Jenny running up and getting all silly/mushy over a very frightened-looking Linnell (the way she did to the youngest Hanson kid). Ack! Kay, who can't believe she just admitted to seeing an episode of the Jenny McCarthy show--the Hanson epsiode, no less :p * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970721160503.0068ef98@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:05:07 -0700 From: Jeffrey Chen Subject: TMBG: Which Singles? (was Re: TMBG: SEXXY video) Kay wrote: >Does anyone else agree that they could have picked better >first singles for JH and FS? And if so, which ones? I agree that They blundered in choosing singles for the last two albums. They wanted to sound different, but Snail Shell and SEXXY simultaneously sounded too different (which met with with regular fan disapproval) and weren't very strong individually (so that they weren't enough to get anyone else's attention). Off of JH, Sleeping In The Flowers seemed to meet with general approval around here, plus it's rather lively and peppy, and just strange enough (in form and lyrics) to stick in your head. So maybe I'd pick that one (it's either that or Nyquil Driver, but that song is a little too repetitively one-track). As for FS, the concensus seems to be for Till My Head Falls Off: catchy, upbeat, They-like in theme. New York City is the other logical choice, and may have worked for them, as their covers (Istanbul, WDTSS) seem pretty popular. As They have said before, "Here's a song we didn't write... people seem to like that." --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:44:10 -0400 (EDT) From: "Ruprecht or Misha or \"That Jerk Off\"" Subject: TMBG: Single Debate... Message-ID: The subject has once again been raised that S E X X Y and Snailshell were not the best single choices from their respective albums. Once again people have said how Sleeping in the Flowers, AKA Driver and Till My Head Falls Off should have been the singles and aside from the fact that this discussion changes nothing, these songs were singles. Sure, they were radio only singles, but singles sure enough. Now on the other hand, I would argue that both of these songs were most definitely the best possible single choices. Snail Shell for it's repetativeness and easy to learn lyrics and SEXXY for it's groovy, retro, 70s throw back sounds that "the kids" seem to be looking for these days, or at least those days (i.e. last year). Sleeping in the Flowers, I'm betting, would make a great radio single now with the whole ska craze (not to say that it is ska, but people are dumb enough to say "horns = ska"). Till My Head Falls Off is almost the worst choice for a single as it has almost no immediate catchiness if you're not paying attention to it and the words are almost unintelligible (especially at radio sound quality) losing that whole sing along quality that previously big tmbg singles had. Think about it. * ------------------------------ From: "khinkle" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:44:24 -0500 Message-Id: <00503255926856@eosinc.com> cool idea!! ana ng's can be queens...snailshell pawns...rabid child knights...bluecanary bishops and birdhouse rooks!! -andrea- aka soul-D aka salsa girl ---------- > From: Paul Tomlinson > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: TMBG chess > Date: Sunday, July 20, 1997 9:29 PM > > Hey all, > I just got this idea. Ok, right now I'm really into chess, so I thought > I'd combine 2 of my favorite things. That's right, TMBG chess pieces. > I figure the Johns could be the kings, and the other pieces could be > characters from their songs? Ok, it may be a dumb idea, don't shoot me. > Paul > OldFriend on EFnet #TMBG * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33D43479.81E6C5FF@remcen.ehhs.cmi ------------------------------ From: MAILER-DAEMON@gcc.cc.md.us Message-Id: <199707240617.CAA05358@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 22 Jul 1997 02:17:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: That domain name does not exist. The domain 'garrett.ncin.com' is an invalid Internet domain name. Message was undeliverable. Received: from [209.12.7.41] by gcc.cc.md.us id 12260.wrk; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 02:17:14 EDT Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) with SMTP id CAA08623; Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:05:13 -0400 Received: by ussodyssey.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:04:16 -0400 Received: (majordom@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.5/8.7.ufp) id CAA08595; Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:04:14 -0400 Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:04:14 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199707210604.CAA08595@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-201 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 201 Monday, 21 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... TMBG: OMLC TMBG: New video comp and other stuff TMBG: Sabrina/Clarissa Explains It All TMBG: MTV and TMBG TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Mini-Disc TMBG: Then Promo TMBG: Leader Skit, Whistling In The Dark Re: TMBG: Any Space Ghost News? TMBG: Put DAS through the Flanger, John... TMBG: Bootleg List TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: A proposal for all of you kind-hearted Giant fans out there Re: TMBG: SEXXY video Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: TMBG chess TMBG: Tiny Toons reminder. Re: TMBG: SEXXY video Re: TMBG: SEXXY video TMBG: Hoo-ray! Re: TMBG: TMBG chess Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. * --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:29:47 -0600 Subject: TMBG: RE: NEW and improved List filling proposition.... Message-ID: <19970720.003018.16334.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) I think that in 8 days we should have a celebration. First off because it's gonna be lincoln;s birthday (on IRC) and secondly to honor JonBob (who i just recently found out is the man behind www.tmbg.org) Cuz, well he;s just that kewl... anyone with me? "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN * ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:24:15 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLC Message-ID: <19970720.003018.16334.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) >Was there any progress in the discussion of the OMLC? Was it decided to >be too rediculous a concept? Fill me in. well, the problem was that there weren't enough people out there willing to help. So, with just a mere few of the list willing to do anything in the way of getting this thing going we decided it was not worth it . "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970720143543.006bc0c0@fyi.net> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:35:43 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: New video comp and other stuff First off, to Jordan(TMBgirl)...sure...a celebration sounds fun to me :) I was gonna do something for Linc's birthday on IRC. Second, I was thinking...we would all love it if Elektra came out with a new video compilation for the videos from elektra era. I know the idea has been tossed around...I believe the Johns have mentioned it. I was thinking...would some kind of write-in type campaign be helpful? writing to elektra or TMBG...I dunno, it may be stupid...but it would be so cool if they released this Well, an unrelated thing, the last two times I have put FS into my CD player it has started to play Pet Name instead of S-E-X-X-Y. I find this very scary. Josh josh@fyi.net * ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:11:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720121158_-123499712@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Sabrina/Clarissa Explains It All Speaking of Sabrina, does anyone remember that old Nickelodeon show Cla rissa Explains It All ? Well, it now runs on re-runs on Nick, and I usually watch it. Well, it is cool because on her wall she has 2 TMBG refrences . One is a poster with John and John, and the other is a big green Flood sign. Watch it and see the beauty. Leroy * ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:14:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720121402_-725619647@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: MTV and TMBG Well, Mtv has a new contest. I don't know what the contest is but they play like the first three seconds of purple toupee in it. Leroy * ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:20:00 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720121959_784808771@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Mini-Disc I was look in the They Might Be Giants section @ my local record store, and to my amazement, I found a mini disc copy of the They'll Need A Crane, and I almost crapped my pants. Leroy * ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:27:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720122739_1347101767@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Then Promo I was @ my grandpa's garage sail about a week ago, when i was looking through his CD bin (He used to work for a record label, so I thought they're might be something cool) when to my amazement I found a promo for Then: The Earlier Years. I have no idea how it got there, since he worked for BMG, which doesn't carry Restless. Here are the songs it has in order. 1) Don't Let's Start 2) Now That I Have Everything 3) Famous Polka 4) Ana Ng 5) I'm Def 6) Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon 7) (She Was A) Hotel Detective 8) Birds Fly 9) Which Describes How You're Feeling 10) We're The Replacements 11) Greek #3 12) Become A Robot 13) Kiss Me Son Of God 14) Weep Day 15) Schoolchildren Singing "Particle Man" * ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:33:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720123305_-56354230@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Leader Skit, Whistling In The Dark At the camp I go to (Camp Colman) We do a thing called the leader skit. I goes like this; I'm glad I am a leader, there's nothing I'd rather be, but if I weren't a leader... tehn you put in a rhyming part. Well, me and my friend, who both listen to TMBG, added as our rhyming part, Giants we might be, we'd sing some songs of men of particles, and never use machetes to scrape off barnacles. Well it was cool. We also sing a version of Whistling In The Dark, with out the verses. Leroy * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970720164852.00682f04@pop.holli.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:48:52 -0400 From: Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton Subject: Re: TMBG: Any Space Ghost News? <<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The new season is JUST underway. Having seen the tentative schedule of the first 12 episodes or so, it should be quite a while till Flansburgh is on. I'll post when/if i find out the exact date. BTW, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, which airs on the Cartoon Network Fridays at 11pm eastern and on Saturdays at 12am eastern, is the single best show on television today. Everyone should watch it, even if Flansburgh isn't on it Could someone tell me if my .sig worked? ************************************************************* *Ryan47 *"I hate golems, taking our jobs." * *Ryan Hamilton *"We ain't got jobs." * *momoftwo@holli.com *"See what I mean? * *Not a mom of two. *"What's for supper?" * *Not even close. *"Mud and ole boots. HRRawrk ptui!" * * *"Millenium hand and shrimp, I sez."* * 0 0 *"M glad I've got a voice. * * 0 * I can speak up for myself." * * \ / *"It's time you fed your duck." * * ------- *"What duck?" * ************************************************************* * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970720131736.2c7719c2@cyber1.servtech.com> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 13:17:36 From: Chaos Harlequin Subject: TMBG: Put DAS through the Flanger, John... >That is such a wierd effect when it sounds like two of the same person >singing. It sounds somehow less natural. It's called double-tracking. Back in the "old days," artists actually had to sing the part twice to produce the effect. However, something called Artificial Double Tracking was invented, mainly beacause John Lennon was tired of singing the same part twice for his Beatles recordings. When he asked how it worked, the engineer who created it gave him some mumbo-jumbo about sending the tape spool through the flanger and now ADTing something is referred to as "flanging." >You don't tour over 60% of the year and play over 1200 concerts in a 10 year >span (I got this figure off of a Sound FX appearence) and care nothing about >your fans. Actually, everything J&J say indicates that they become a little bit more distant from and afraid of their fans with every show they play. >And what about Dial-a-song? They don't make a penny off of that. That's >something they do to give us something new and different. If your >theory were true, they would have either made a charge for it or completely >gotten rid of it as soon as they had a huge success with Flood. We all know DAS' origins -- it was a cheap, easy way to promote themselves -- just take out the ad in the Village Voice and let people discover their music. And while it's still around, it's slowly atrophied since then -- "Two People In Love" is the only non-released track to appear on DAS since the Mono Puff EP originally came out. >There was one of those machines there and it had a picture of FS! >I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! The machines with Factory Showroom buttons had a video collage of TMBG's earlier videos when you pressed the button. I doubt very seriously that there was an original video, since had there been one, it would have at least been debuted on 120 Minutes, and we would have gotten the news. /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | harlequin@tmbg.org http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | | "We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease."| \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ * ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 14:34:38 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970720143426_-1124531892@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg List Here is a list of bootlegs that I have. If interested in trading, E-mail me. Also, I can transfer Videos into audio if you would like. Mr Bungle: Berkeley, CA 1-13-91 Toronto, Canada 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA 12-18-95 (Video) Fishbone: St. Louis 11-5-86 (Video) Citta, Kawasaki Japan February 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA@Warfield Theatre 1-16-92 (Video) Foo Fighters: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Lawrence KS 10-30-94 (Video) Coney Island High, NYC 5-17-96 (Video) Radiohead: London@The Astoria 5-27-94 (Video) Rage Against The Machine: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) Philadelphia, PA 8-16-96 (Video) Fairfax, VA 8-21-96 (Video) They Might Be Giants: 1985 Demo Tape (Audio) Dr. Spocks Backup Band (Audio) Inadvertant (Audio) New Paltz 5-5-90 (Video) Live In New York 10-14-94 (Audio) Wherehouse Records, Seattle 5-95 (Video) House of Blues 9-19-96 (Audio) Aran's Records Instore 11-22-96 (Video) Let It Be Instore 11-29-96 (Video) Tower Records 1996 (Audio) Stump Box (Audio) Weezer: Various Tape (Audio) American Holiday (Audio) Rock Candy (Audio) "Geezer" New Britan, CT 12-4-94 (Audio) Milan, Italy@The Factory 2-18-95 (Video) Buffalo 7-30-95 (Audio) Germany@Bizarre Fest 8-17-96 (Video) Acoustic at Shorecrest H.S. 11-6-96 (Audio) CFNY Toronto Live Radio (Audio) 7:30 Spotlight 5-22-97 (Audio) * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970720114425.0074a634@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:21:15 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: SEXXY video >Ok I was in Hills (a local dept. store) a while back and you know those >machines where you press the picture of an album and it shows a clip from >the >video? There was one of those machines there and it had a picture of FS! >I pressed it and low and behold an original video clip from S-E-X-X-Y!! >I don't remember much I do remember seeing "The Guy" in it though...if >They >made no videos then what was that? Lots of listies reported seeing something similar at K-Mart, late last year. Consensus is that the "SEXXY video" shown is comprised of snippets from other videos. Rumor has it that there's no video and only one single because Elektra was disappointed with SEXXY's performance in the charts. My suggestion: we know that Linnell has a QuickCam. Let's convince Them to shoot their own videos! :) --nicole the wonder nerd at the top of the charts *** "Here's hoping you don't become a robot! Bang bang clang clang... whoops, too late."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org #include std_disclaimer * ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:08:56 -0400 Subject: TMBG: A proposal for all of you kind-hearted Giant fans out there Message-ID: <19970720.180856.8438.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I just got my TMBG video Bootlegs in the mail last week... one question about them: Does everybody have t ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-205 ******************************