Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-209 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 209 Tuesday, 29 July 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Random Stuff TMBG: New site? TMBG: Giants at my wedding Re: TMBG: Giants at my wedding Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-208 TMBG: Shoehorn with Teeth interp Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park Re: TMBG: Shoehorn with Teeth interp Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Re: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama TMBG: Soul Coughing TMBG: Bootleg Trading TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Bootlegs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-208 Re: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Max Points? Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Max Points? Re: TMBG: Misc. TMBG: RE: Soul coughing thank yous Re: TMBG: Random Stuff Re: TMBG: Oregon Re: TMBG: Max Points? TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Poughkeepsie update TMBG: poughkipsee (none) TMBG: RE: Bootleg Drama TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Re: Single Debate... TMBG: Bootleg Re: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Linny look-alike Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Re: Single Debate... Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <33DC2CD7.6EA4@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:23:35 -0600 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Random Stuff Hey, Vlad here... First, I would like everyone to know I am further enlightened in the ways of They. I just finished watching a rerun (on tape) of the famous Viva Variety show. Now I actually know what Graham looks like! (He hid in the shadows during the concert I was at) ...though Linnell looked like he wanted to kill those two obnoxious hosts...! Second, I went to a little Bible Camp seminar with my pal (I'm not going to the camp, my pal is) today, and RIGHT when I got out, I saw this guy... he came up to me, looked at my Tour 2040 Shirt, and says, "Hey, nice shirt! I'm a fan of TMBG too." "REALLY?" I say. "You a listie?" "Err, I have Flood." Owell... About half an hour later, I go to set up a volleyball net. The guy standing there goes, "Hey, I'm John. Nice shirt, I'm a big fan too." I didn't bother to ask about listieness. Then afterward, I was inside, and this guy called this girl over... and goes, "Hey, look at this guy's shirt!" "Yeah, They Might Be Giants. Oh! Haha!" Then she pointed to what I presumed was the "Tour 2040" part. So, four (okay, 3 and a half) fans in one day! Third, I forgot what was third. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 00:55:42 -0700 Subject: TMBG: New site? Message-ID: <19970728.005545.18094.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Hey! I was listening to John Henry today, when I got the idea to make a web page for James Ensor, and copy the information out of Encarta. So I made the page and was searching for painting by him, when I stumbled on the exact same page that I was creating! Steve used the a same title, and even copyed out of Encarta like I was going to. I say all that to say this; it's a cool site. Check it out: http://web.mit.edu/ssadoway/www/jimmy.html Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/index.html ICQ #1337243 P.S. Am I a lurker?? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707281310.JAA20025@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:09:56 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: Giants at my wedding I was married on July 12 and I thought some of you folks would be interested in hearing about the TMBG presence at our reception. Not wanting unauthorized appearances by cliches like "Celebration" and others to pop up, I kept a heavy hand on the DJ's playlist, and among the 50 songs played were "No One Knows My Plan" for our conga line, and "S-E-X-X-Y" because it's a groovin' kinda song. As it turned out, no one but my wife Angelique was on the dance floor when "S-E-X-X-Y" started up, so I trotted away from my visiting to get back out there for her, and the song ended up as a highlight of the reception, because Angelique turned our dance into an outrageous and seductive little strut. By the strings at the end, we were both hamming it up to applause. I also decided at the last minute to make my first serenade to Angelique a public one, in front of our 100 or so guests before the first dance. I was going to go with "She's an Angel," but fearing that too many of our older guests wouldn't get it (and without a slide or an accordion to do the song proper justice), I opted for Talking Heads' "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody"). Some would consider including a couple TMBG songs quite a slide down from dreams of having TMBG actually play my wedding (this was long before actually being in a position to marry someone, of course), but I'm happy they were the most-played band at the reception. Does anyone else have such experiences to relate? Peace, Brett ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:27:04 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: Giants at my wedding Message-ID: Has anyone looked into having TMBG play at their wedding? Because I was just talking about that last night, but came to the conclusion that if I tried to do that I wouldn't be getting married until I had a spare $100,000. But if anyone knows different.... Oh, and I got T:TEY and JH and the S-E-X-X-Y 5-song ep this weekend.... Drove to my boyfriend's parents' house (3 hours) and back and listened to nothing but TMBG the whole time. I'm just excited because now I have all the full-length albums... just need to get a few of the more recent ep's. Jen :9 ********************************************************************* "The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks." --Douglas Adams ********************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:38:19 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Message-ID: On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, The Denominator wrote: > >> Anyway, i don't require postage to be sent along with the blanks, i > >> dunno where that came from. If I did 1:1 trades, i would, since i would be > >> getting nothing out of it (merely paying postage for soemone else to get a > > >You're not supposed to get anything out of it! It is *ILLEGAL* to > >profit from this. (you know how it's also illegal to rent a movie and > >then charge people to come over to your house and watch it? same thing) > > You misunderstand me. By saying I dont get anything out of it, i mean i > don't break EVEN, which is the premise that trading is based upon. Both > sides come out even. If i don't get a tape, and i pay between $1 ans $3 for > poastage, i come out behind. This is not a good trade. However, if i pay the > postage and get a tape in return, i break even (or even STILL come out a > little behind, having paid over a dollar for a tape). I'm not trying to make > a profit, and it would be nearly impossible to make one using my no-postage, > 2:1 method. Think it through. > I am not going to make a profit, but it is not a fair trade if i LOSE money > either... Well, most people I've found ask you to send return postage with your blank... that way, they're not gaining anything. Not even an extra blank tape. Then again, I've just gotten started, and maybe that's wrong... Jen :9 ********************************************************************* "The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks." --Douglas Adams ********************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33DCC313.27CE@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:04:35 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama squeak! wrote: > > Well, most people I've found ask you to send return postage with your > blank... that way, they're not gaining anything. Not even an extra blank > tape. Then again, I've just gotten started, and maybe that's wrong... I agree with the 1:1 blank and SASE thing. The new trader wins and I win a little and all are happy. See: You: 1) Buy blank 2) Go to post office and get a padded mailer and 4 stamps/tape. Address it back to your house from me and put the blank tape(s) in it 3) Get a non-padded big envelope and address that to me from you, put the padded mailer in the non-padded envelope, and get postage for it 4) Send it to me 5) Get back full tapes in the padded envelope provided Me: 1) Gets mail. Yay!!!! 2) Opens big mailer and finds a ready to send back package with tapes in it (and something that says what tape you want ) 3) Dubs the tapes (that would be about 2 minutes setting the bias and record level right for the tapes and starting the first side and then maybe 30 seconds to do flips... lots of time committment on my part) 4) Puts the tapes back in the mailer, seals it and sends it out. Then, I don't have to leave my house to buy postage or a mailer or anything. I get nothing at all. I give nothing at all except for maybe a couple minutes of my time and a couple hours of wear on my decks (which to me in nothing at all too). And the other guy gets some tapes to start them out with. Sorry if I'm spreading the fire here, but that is how I see it. Personally, I don't agree with 2:1 trading, and I won't do it. That doesn't mean it is wrong. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I just won't. -- -==========================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -==========================================================================- Software Engineer | What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd Software Artistry | think less of anyone who just disagreed - Moxy Fruvous -==========================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:09:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Paul Sebold Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-208 Message-ID: Hey List! This is Paul... I used to post here, but I stopped for a while, but something has come up that has peaked my interest.... What is up with this returned mail from gcc.cc.md.us>!>!>! I used to have an account on this server, it's a teeny tiny little server on a community college in the middle of appalachia, and as far as I know, I'm the only listee who's ever had an account there. However, I haven't used it to mail the list for years. In fact, they changed their domain from gcc.cc.md.us to garrett.ncin.com about 6 months ago. Does anyone have any clue what that's about, because that's really peaking my curiosity. Thanks for your clues! Paul ********************* ---------------------- ******************************** The "problem with you" speech you gave me was fine I liked the theories about my little stage And I swore I was listening, but I started drifting Around the part about me acting my age *Ben Folds* Paul Sebold 613-3484 331 Blackwell, Duke University pjs2@acpub.duke.edu http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html ***************************** -------------------- ************************** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:20:42 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: TMBG: Shoehorn with Teeth interp Message-ID: Here's my interpretation of the song "Shoehorn With Teeth" from the album "Lincoln". Personally, I believe the song supports an atheist sort of viewpoint, or at least mocks religion... here's why: "He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth People should get beat up for statin' their beliefs" OK, here we learn a few things about the subject of the song. He wants a shoehorn with teeth (representation of a god), and thinks that people shouldn't be allowed to state beliefs (unless they agree with his). "He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth 'Cause he knows there's no such thing." He wants a god to believe in, even though logically he knows that a god cannot exist. The verses "He asks a girl if they can both sit in a chair But he doesn't get nervous She's not really there" and "Tour the world with a heavy metal band But they run out of gas The plane can never land" seem like they are just talking about his life. The verse about the girl could be a representation of adolescence and worrying about someone he has a crush on - practicing asking her to hang out with him when she's not really there, etc. Then, later on, he "tours the world with a heavy metal band", but the plane runs out of gas and can never land (i.e., it's going to crash), so the subject is facing his death, the time at which religion would be the most important to him. The chorus is then repeated (see above). The next verse: "What's the sense in ever thinking about the tomb When you're much too busy returning to the womb" One of the main reasons people have religion is to give them reassurance about what happens after they die - they are "thinking about the tomb". But the comfort of religion is sort of like trying to return to a safe place such as the womb - a place where everything is provided to you, you don't have to worry about anything or think for yourself. So I think John and John are sort of degrading or mocking religion, at least organized religion where the church tells you what to think/how to act/etc. Sorry if this interp has been done before, it's just what I heard in the song. Thanks for listening! Jen :9 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:43:35 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Message-ID: OK, I haven't done much trading, so I probably shouldn't jump in here, but here's what I've gathered from this discussion: A 1:1 trade is not really a "trade" since nothing is exchanged. It is merely one person doing something nice (ie copying some of his/her tapes) for someone else. A 2:1 is a real trade since the person gets an extra blank tape and the newbie gets a brand spankin' new tape-o-music. Since no money is exchanged... only a mutual exchange of "gifts", it doesn't *seem* like there would be any more legal problems one way or the other (though I'm no expert...). So it just depends on whether the person is really generous and wants to copy a tape for the warm & fuzzy feeling it gives him/her to spread the word of TMBG to his/her fellow human beings, or whether he/she would rather receive a gift in exchange to acknowledge the trouble he/she went to, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's a personal choice...there is no right or wrong... in my opinion. Just had to throw my $.02 into the pot. Right! Carry on. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:46:27 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park Message-ID: I was just looking through all the interps, and I saw a reference to the song MacArthur Park (relating to "It's Not My Birthday"). Now what I remember of the song is stuck in my head, which is not much since I haven't heard it in years. Can anyone help me out and tell me who performed it and/or where I could get a copy? I'd be ever so grateful. Jen :9 ********************************************************************* "The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks." --Douglas Adams ********************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:50:03 +0100 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Shoehorn with Teeth interp At 11:20 AM -0400 7/28/97, squeak! wrote: [...] >"Tour the world with a heavy metal band > But they run out of gas > The plane can never land" >seem like they are just talking about his life. The verse about >the girl could be a representation of adolescence and worrying about >someone he has a crush on - practicing asking her to hang out with him >when she's not really there, etc. Then, later on, he "tours the world >with a heavy metal band", but the plane runs out of gas and can never land >(i.e., it's going to crash), so the subject is facing his death, the time >at which religion would be the most important to him. The chorus is then >repeated (see above). I've always thought that this line was derived from a TV cartoon. There's an old one, with Bugs Bunny I think, where this aircraft is hurtling towards the earth. Just at the last minute it runs out of gas, and abruptly stops, nose down, a few inches above the ground. "Shoehorn with Teath" is almost a prototypical Surrealist image. Other actual examples: Clothes iron with nails, Teacup with fur. Which doesn't negate what you're saying... ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707281553.AA10797@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:53:41 -0400 (EDT) > OK, I haven't done much trading, so I probably shouldn't jump in here, but > here's what I've gathered from this discussion: A 1:1 trade is not really > a "trade" since nothing is exchanged. It is merely one person doing > something nice (ie copying some of his/her tapes) for someone else. A 2:1 > is a real trade since the person gets an extra blank tape and the newbie > gets a brand spankin' new tape-o-music. Since no money is exchanged... > only a mutual exchange of "gifts", it doesn't *seem* like there would be > any more legal problems one way or the other (though I'm no expert...). > So it just depends on whether the person is really generous and wants to > copy a tape for the warm & fuzzy feeling it gives him/her to spread the > word of TMBG to his/her fellow human beings, or whether he/she would > rather receive a gift in exchange to acknowledge the trouble he/she went > to, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's a personal > choice...there is no right or wrong... in my opinion. Just had to throw > my $.02 into the pot. Except for the fact that bootlegging is generally considered illegal in the first place and accepting something illegal could be considered illegal in and of itself (or is bootlegging legal in certain circumstances?). I don't care, though, it's somewhat stupid, especially if the band doesn't mind that you do it, and besides it's fun to hear and have bootlegs. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33DCE2F7.4C32@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:20:39 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park squeak! wrote: > > I was just looking through all the interps, and I saw a reference to the > song MacArthur Park (relating to "It's Not My Birthday"). Now what I > remember of the song is stuck in my head, which is not much since I > haven't heard it in years. Can anyone help me out and tell me who > performed it and/or where I could get a copy? I'd be ever so grateful. As sad as it makes me, the only think I can remember about MacArthur Park is that it is the basis for Weird Al's Jurassic Park song. Alas, the Big Band/Jazz side of me in reeling in horror, but the wicked silly Al liking side is rolling on the floor laughing at the Big Band/Jazz side... -- -========================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -========================================================================- Software Engineer | And when we come back, we'll have something you never Software Artistry | ever see on MTV. Music Videos! - Weird Al Yankovic -========================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:29:02 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Drama Message-ID: On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Matthew James wrote: > Except for the fact that bootlegging is generally considered illegal in > the first place and accepting something illegal could be considered > illegal in and of itself (or is bootlegging legal in certain > circumstances?). I don't care, though, it's somewhat stupid, especially > if the band doesn't mind that you do it, and besides it's fun to hear > and have bootlegs. I saw someone say that recording the shows in itself is not illegal...? It's at least questionable if not out-right breakin' the law. It just doesn't seem like 2:1 trading should be a more serious infraction than 1:1 trading. I think if people are too worried about legality, they probably shouldn't be the ones who are trading at all. I also think that it *should* be totally up to the band. If the band doesn't mind, we should be allowed to tape and trade whatever shows we want... They should let us bring tape recorders into clubs without a problem... Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. :( I ALSO think I shouldn't have to pay back my college loans. Does someone here want to do it for me? Please? :) -Lani O:) "I should be allowed to tape" lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:49:17 -0400 Message-Id: <199707281649.MAA24481@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Soul Coughing I don't know how far back that SOul COughing and TMBG go, but I do know that besides having Flans direct their video, they also toured with Them for part of the John Henry season (At The Barrymore on 3-11-95, anyway, they open for them, and do Spy together) My $.02 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:55:32 -0400 Message-Id: <199707281655.MAA24578@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Bootleg Trading I have to agree with this method of trading 1:1. It is indeed easier than anoy other 2:1 or 1:1 scenarios that I have encountered. I will continue to do 2:1 trades, but if anyone wants to use this method for 1:1 trading, I'll do it. (I can't argue with having all the work done for me... it's up to the other guys if they want to do all that or send 2 tapes.) Kris ---------------- You: 1) Buy blank 2) Go to post office and get a padded mailer and 4 stamps/tape. Address it back to your house from me and put the blank tape(s) in it 3) Get a non-padded big envelope and address that to me from you, put the padded mailer in the non-padded envelope, and get postage for it 4) Send it to me 5) Get back full tapes in the padded envelope provided Me: 1) Gets mail. Yay!!!! 2) Opens big mailer and finds a ready to send back package with tapes in it (and something that says what tape you want ) 3) Dubs the tapes (that would be about 2 minutes setting the bias and record level right for the tapes and starting the first side and then maybe 30 seconds to do flips... lots of time committment on my part) 4) Puts the tapes back in the mailer, seals it and sends it out. ------------ ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707281750.KAA06908@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:50:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff How is Mono Puff's music? I went to the store and found Unsupervised and The Devil Went Down To Newport, but I wasn't sure on how they were so I got John Henry and WDTSShine. I know it's the lovable, huggable John Flansburgh, but that doesn't mean it's good. I now have all the albums. Thing is I don't have the Pink Album or MT, but I do have Then, which has all those songs on it. Do you think it makes me a better fan if I get those TMBG and MT? One more thing, is live in New York an album? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33DCFC20.648F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:08:00 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff expo67@webtv.net wrote: > > How is Mono Puff's music? I went to the store and found Unsupervised > and The Devil Went Down To Newport, but I wasn't sure on how they were > so I got John Henry and WDTSShine. I know it's the lovable, huggable > John Flansburgh, but that doesn't mean it's good. > I now have all the albums. Thing is I don't have the Pink Album or MT, > but I do have Then, which has all those songs on it. Do you think it > makes me a better fan if I get those TMBG and MT? One more thing, is > live in New York an album? > I like MonoPuff. It is more totally rockin' I guess than TMBG. Kinda. I guess. I dunno. Did I mention I like it? As for Live in NYC, what do you mean by album? Like record, vinyl album? Or a studio released album like Pinky and Lincoln and ... and FS? I think it was an Elektra Promo CD. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | You'll never fly as the crow flies... get used Software Artistry | to a country mile -- Emily Saliers -====================================================================- > ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:16:00 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970728141513_1181337907@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootlegs Hello 41- In a message dated 7/25/97 12:25:27 AM, it was said: <> It easily benefits both people. When I started out with no tapes, I wanted a way in. I could sympathise that there were many people with no tapes and some people with lots of tapes. I'm sure the people with lots of tapes get bothered for tapes all the time. And if they really wanted to, they could probably help out for a 1:1. I'm sure this happens. But some people, get lots of requests and would like to help the other newbies out, but also want something in return. So they get an extra tape. I think it works well. All tapers need tapes, and postage is helpful as well. So the person with the tape is getting a tape and postage, which he/she can use. And the newbie gets a tape that can help him/her expand thier collection, possibly with no more 2:1 trades. <> I don't buy this... I have a bunch of tapes and I know people that have even more tapes than me and they always would like more blank tapes, because there are always more tapes to trade for. Stuff surfaces, you might become interested in another band, lots of things can happen. Adam ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:27:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970728162717_-1274516610@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-208 In a message dated 97-07-28 02:05:35 EDT, you write: << Did the whole band (both Johns) play a part in Soul Coughing's success? >> Didn't Soul Coughing tour as an opening band for a TMBG world tour a few years ago??? I remember seeing the band name on a flier somewhere. Am I dreaming? =========-----------============--------===========-----------===========----- -- "There's a place for those who love their poetry... it just across from the sign that says 'prose only'." - They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ From: Dekadetia@aol.com Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:39:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970728163820_-2078125469@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff In a message dated 97-07-28 14:52:33 EDT, expo67@webtv.net writes: << Do you think it makes me a better fan if I get those TMBG and MT? >> Better pick em up, yr TMBG credibility is fading as we speak. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:44:41 -0400 Message-Id: <199707282144.RAA01150@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Max Points? Hello fellow personages, I was just wondering if any of you more experienced bootleg traders (or just people who are smarter than me) know what to do with these little max points that come with all these tapes... i have quite a bit of them, but no idea what to do... it prolly says on the package... but you know me... never read the instructions when you can ask someone else.. :) Anyway, any clues here? Kris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970728154937.007a58e0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:49:41 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff At 12:50 PM 28/07/97 -0500, you wrote: > I now have all the albums. Thing is I don't have the Pink Album or MT, >but I do have Then, which has all those songs on it. Do you think it >makes me a better fan if I get those TMBG and MT? One more thing, is >live in New York an album? Don't buy the albums just to be a "better fan," buy them because you want them, *if* you want them. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone. You like TMBG, and so do the rest of us, and that's why we're all here. There's no reason for a jihad. Live in NY was intended to be distributed only to radio stations, in order that they might broadcast it. It is extremely rare and also a couple years old, so chances of finding it are not that great. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:55:07 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Max Points? Message-ID: On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, The Denominator wrote: > I was just wondering if any of you more experienced bootleg traders > (or just people who are smarter than me) know what to do with these little > max points that come with all these tapes... i have quite a bit of them, but > no idea what to do... it prolly says on the package... but you know me... > never read the instructions when you can ask someone else.. :) I don't know... I wrote to the address on the package about a year ago and it came back marked 'return to sender.' Their address changed or something... Well. This wasn't helpful at all. -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DD4080.4ACD@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:59:44 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. Way cool setup! WHen do we get to watch tmbg vids @ your house? As for trying to collect everything Giant, I've found in the past with other bands that sometimes, just the music is enough. Amanda N. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DD4112.24C3@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:02:10 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: TMBG: RE: Soul coughing thank yous The cough thanks both Johns as Soul Coughing opened for them a few times, giving them the chance to build up a hardcore audience. Also, SC taped a few little ditties on Hello. I'm not making this up; I get my info straight from my Soul Coughing informant. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DD424D.50A2@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:07:25 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Random Stuff Tee-hee! Some great stories, Vlad! I think I may have a good picture somewhere of Grahm. If I can weasle my way to a scanner, I'll send it the listies way. I have a random story too. Where I work I often must stay up wayyyy too late for humans to be alive. I stay sane by bringing some tmbg with me. This one weirdo came up to me while I was listening to "Flood" and asked me: "Is this that 'sexy' group?" I gave him an odd look. "You know," he said, " That S-E-X-X-Y group. Is this that CD?" "Um, yes and no, respectively." there you have it folks. tmbg are now "sexy." Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:54:43 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199707282254.QAA16919@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Oregon At 11:45 AM 7/24/97 -0700, you wrote: >No, I'm not going to start talking about pronunciation. :) Is there >anywhere on-line I can hear Linnell's Oregon song? Must hear song! Forget that! Does anyone have any way I can hear all of the state songs (except Maine) short of ordering 1993's Hello CD collection? Dave Simpson LotharCo We put the "fun" in "dysfunctional" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707282355.SAA22868@csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:00:54 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Max Points? At 05:44 PM 7/28/97 -0400, you wrote: >Hello fellow personages, > > I was just wondering if any of you more experienced bootleg traders >(or just people who are smarter than me) know what to do with these little >max points that come with all these tapes... i have quite a bit of them, but >no idea what to do... it prolly says on the package... but you know me... >never read the instructions when you can ask someone else.. :) > > Anyway, any clues here? > > Kris Yessir. It used to be that you could take them and get shirts and such. That is sadly no longer the case. They are now, like, status symbols. Something like that. I'd recommend plastering a school notebook with them. I'm sure Lawrence has his house wall-papered with them. That's it really. -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:23:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970728193044.2d174242@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Hello... There seems to be an upsurge in the Mono Puff discussion, so now seems like the perfect time to announce that there is a brand new, unofficial Mono Puff page on the web! The page is located at www.monopuff.org, and on it, you can find just about everything you need to know about Mono Puff. You'll see the lyrics to all the Mono Puff songs, including those on the new Hello EPs, information about all the Mono Puff albums, links to other Mono Puff pages, a Mono Puff FAQ, John Flansburgh's Unsupervised libretto, and - the most important thing - news about a new Mono Puff album that is currently in the works! So don't be left out! Fire up Netscape and take a peek at the new Mono Puff webpage. Go now! Alex www.monopuff.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970728231532.0067f544@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:15:32 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Poughkeepsie update Alrighty, Well, I said I would call and I did. The club where They are supposed to play only had a recoreded message that went up to Septempter 1st, so that was no help. I called the NY Ticketmaster location and they said the concert was postponed. However, they didn't know if the date listed was the new date or the postponed date. Anywho, the current date they have for the show is December 15th. They suggested that I call back in about a month, as tickets usually go on sale 1.5 months before the actual event. So I shall, and I'll be sure to keep y'all updated. So cross those fingers and hope it's gonna happen! :^) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:31:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970728192910_-1776869263@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: poughkipsee In a message dated 7/28/97 7:05:44 AM, you wrote: >Someone last Monday said they would call Ticketmaster and >finalize if They were actually performing or not. Since >that person has not written back to the list, I will call >the New York Ticketmaster location tomorrow and find out >what I can, unless that person posts something before hand. >Actually, now that I think of, I'll call the location where >They are supposed to play i called, ticketmaster had no clue what i was talking about so i think the website is in error. They dont usually book Their shows so far in advance ~L ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707290110.SAA18474@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:19:46 -0700 I have an interpretation of "My Evil Twin" from my dad, and it's not as well thought out as others I've seen on the list because I'm not familiar with the time period, being 14. My dad says it might have something to do with George Bush, because of the Doonesbury comic strip having to do with Bush's "Evil Twin", and the verse that says something about a "republican President from long ago". -Holl "Violence is not the answer, except for to trick questions."-Nels Hansen "Senility is when you remember everything you've ever forgotten. Simultaneously."-Nels Hansen "Trees remind me of hell, because trees remind me of pencils, pencils remind me of school, and school is hell."-Colin Moore "Why?"-Everybody Else [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199707290117.SAA21828@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: TMBG: RE: Bootleg Drama Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:26:41 -0700 > OK, I haven't done much trading, so I probably shouldn't jump in here, but >here's what I've gathered from this discussion: A 1:1 trade is not really >a "trade" since nothing is exchanged. It is merely one person doing >something nice (ie copying some of his/her tapes) for someone else. A 2:1 >is a real trade since the person gets an extra blank tape and the newbie >gets a brand spankin' new tape-o-music. Since no money is exchanged... >only a mutual exchange of "gifts", it doesn't *seem* like there would be >any more legal problems one way or the other (though I'm no expert...). >So it just depends on whether the person is really generous and wants to >copy a tape for the warm & fuzzy feeling it gives him/her to spread the >word of TMBG to his/her fellow human beings, or whether he/she would >rather receive a gift in exchange to acknowledge the trouble he/she went >to, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's a personal >choice...there is no right or wrong... in my opinion. Just had to throw >my $.02 into the pot. The whole thing is illegal! It's exchange of copied music without payment to the authors! It doesn't matter to me, but it's all against the law, so why are you all worried about being p.c. about it. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:51:42 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Message-ID: <19970728.225317.3710.1.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> On July 25, the waterpark that I lifeguard at celebrated the annual Christmas in July. The whole place was decorated for Christmas, and each lifeguard had to bring stuff in. I brought food, a 4-foot Christmas tree, my stereo, Christmas CDs, and Then:TEY and Mono Puff. All day we played Christmas music over the loudspeakers. I managed to sneak in Careless Santa and Santa's Beard during the busiest hours. Then I went nuts and played Ana Ng, Purple Toupee, Don't Let's Start, and the Famous Polka right before we closed at night. It was great to hear TMBG being played on so many speakers across the park... Hooray! Me. (I won't try to hide anymore!) PS- Les Claypool of Primus loves Kubrick movies... His favorite is Dr. Strangelove, and the Sgt. Baker song on Sailing the Seas Of Cheese clearly reflects a Full Metal Jacket inspiration. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970728220544.006a52b4@wctc.net> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:05:44 -0500 From: Theodore Beck Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff > >Live in NY was intended to be distributed only to radio stations, in order >that they might broadcast it. It is extremely rare and also a couple years >old, so chances of finding it are not that great. > > You can get Live in New York in a double CD set of John Henry. It's an Australian import, but well worth the extra cost. ted --------------------------- http://yellowfine.base.org -------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:12:03 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <33DD5F83.2D1D@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Single Debate... Ruprecht or Misha or That Jerk Off wrote: about how SEXXY was a good single 'n stuff At first I thought that SEXXY was a terrible song to promote, just because it's so unusual for They (but then, this is THEY here, nothing's too weird... except maybe Swing is a Word :p ) But now I realize, for promotion purposes SEXXY is pretty good. For example, this guy I know went to the Fairfax Fair where they were playing. I lent him Apollo 18 (which he really liked) and then asked him if there were any other songs which he remembered from the concert. He only remembered SEXXY... and seemed quite delighted by it too. But then, as someone said (apologies for not remembering names!), Sensurround would be really good too... or perhaps Spiralling Shape, as that's already on the album and gets some airplay (tho not in my area :( And besides that, it could work for other types of stations besides just rock... like soft rock. Hey, it's not any weirder than "Call Me Al" by Paul Simon. ;) -Mismi ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:16:49 -0400 From: Aaron Datsko Message-ID: <33DD60A1.783547C7@psu.edu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Bootleg Does anyone have a bootleg of the April 12th show (Indiana Univeristy of PA) If so please get in touch with me! -- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Aaron S. Datsko =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= We save 9 out of 10 people money on their long distance bills, and I'll prove it to you. http://www.datsus.com Independent Agents receive a FREE Website and there's no investment at any time! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970728202330.0068881c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:26:49 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff At 10:05 PM 7/28/97 -0500, you wrote: > >You can get Live in New York in a double CD set of John Henry. It's an >Australian import, but well worth the extra cost. There's also a 26 track version that was released as a promo CD. It's incredibly hard to find, but you might be lucky like me and wind up with a copy. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:49:30 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <33DD684A.6897@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Linny look-alike Is there any chance Linnell could have been in North Carolina on Wednesday? I saw a guy who looked exactly like him... -Same hair style, color, even had that unbrushed slightly frizzy look -Same eyes, and that patented John Linnell stare -Same hands -long fingers, bent sorta weird -Laughed the same way Only thing is... Isn't he supposed to be in NY!!! And what was he doing watching a performance by Floyd Red Crow Westerman! And why was he wearing shorts! (if this, by some strange chance, actually was Linnell, I will be among the priviledged few to see his legs) I really doubt it, but it's a cool idea anyway! -Mismi ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 22:35 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff > > How is Mono Puff's music? Personally, I love it. The styles on "Unsupervised" go all over the map, from "Unsupervised, I Hit My Head," which is a more TMBG-ish song, to a ska cover of the theme from "Dr. Kildare," to a country song ("Don't I Have the Right"), to the straight ahead three-chord totally rockin'-ness of "The Devil Went Down to Newport." It's a fun album, and definitely worth buying. > I now have all the albums. Thing is I don't have the Pink Album or MT, >but I do have Then, which has all those songs on it. Do you think it >makes me a better fan if I get those TMBG and MT? Eh, it makes you a fan who's about thirty dollars poorer. ;) If you've got the money to burn and won't feel like a True Fan until you have TMBG and MT in all their incarnations, go for it. Otherwise, don't. The True Fan police won't come and kill you if you don't. :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 00:08 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Single Debate... then asked him if there were any other songs which >he remembered from the concert. He only remembered SEXXY... and seemed quite >delighted by it too. Yeah; I saw Them open for Hootie, and afterward was talking about it with some little twerplet on IRC - he informed me that TMBG sucked, except for "that SEXXY song. My mom liked it." *sigh* Oh well; you win some, you lose some... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970728221607.007a99f0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:16:10 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff At 10:05 PM 28/07/97 -0500, you wrote: >You can get Live in New York in a double CD set of John Henry. It's an >Australian import, but well worth the extra cost. I thought it was just JH with a few tracks from live in NY. Are you sure it's a double? -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-209 ******************************