Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-211 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 211 Thursday, 31 July 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: 1:1 vs 2:1 Re: TMBG: 1:1 vs 2:1 TMBG: hrm bootlegs Re: TMBG: hrm bootlegs TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... Re: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... Re: TMBG:Pencils Re: TMBG: Re: The amazing Linnell lookalikes Re: TMBG: ReFueled (Totally Rocking) Re: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... TMBG: re: Wedding Bells TMBG: historical tendencies TMBG: OMLT TMBG: OMLT TMBG: New Info Club Newsletter Re: TMBG: hrm bootlegs Re: TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Re: Wedding Bells Re: TMBG: Max Points? Re: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... Re: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: OMLT TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated Re: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 06:36:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Darlington Darling Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 vs 2:1 Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Matthew Coon wrote: > I tend to agree. 1:1 "trading" is actually gift-giving, since I don't > end up with a new recording in the end (which is after all, the point > of most trades!). It's nice and it's admirable and good, but it's not > a *trade*, IMO. Trade may not be the best word for it. But the fact is, from your point of view, if you aren't getting more ammo for your collection, then it's not worth it. I see it differently. I want to spread the music I love to new people. And I refuse to do that for a profit. \\\\ (X X) []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward: joshw@tmbg.org [] "Don't interrupt me as I struggle [] [] Internet Tech. - Marathon Oil [] to complete this thought [] [] Homepage and tape trade list: [] Have some respect for someone more [] [] http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw [] forgetful than yourself." -- TMBG [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\--------------Dial-A-Sig------------/[] ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9707301318.AA12017@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 vs 2:1 Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:18:53 -0400 (EDT) > > On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Matthew Coon wrote: > > > I tend to agree. 1:1 "trading" is actually gift-giving, since I don't > > end up with a new recording in the end (which is after all, the point > > of most trades!). It's nice and it's admirable and good, but it's not > > a *trade*, IMO. > > Trade may not be the best word for it. But the fact is, from your point of > view, if you aren't getting more ammo for your collection, then it's not > worth it. I see it differently. I want to spread the music I love to new > people. And I refuse to do that for a profit. Gift giving is perfectly fine, with people like you out there the bootleg distribution market thrives greatly. It's great to know that people will freely distribute their live recordings out of the goodness of their heart. But do not call it a trade, because by definition of a trade you receive something for something that you give. Just wanted to clear that up. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:46:29 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: hrm bootlegs Message-id: <01ILUFJSZ5E4M73SNF@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network I believe that this list needs to set up some sort requirements for bootleg trade. the phish web pages have set up a very asinine anal retentive trade requirements but i am just saying perhaps a standard tape class. i traded a TMBG for 5 bootleg tapes and the tapes were of such crappy low class condtion that i can neither here, nor understand when the tape slooooows down for no reason. If the list set a precedent that say Maxell 2's would be used everyone would get good tape quality thus avoiding complete rip offs. if this already exits forget i mentioned anything. sma err s a m ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33DF74DE.37BD@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:07:42 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: hrm bootlegs CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu wrote: > > I believe that this list needs to set up some sort requirements for > bootleg trade. the phish web pages have set up a very asinine anal > retentive trade requirements but i am just saying perhaps a standard > tape class. i traded a TMBG for 5 bootleg tapes and the tapes were > of such crappy low class condtion that i can neither here, nor > understand when the tape slooooows down for no reason. > > If the list set a precedent that say Maxell 2's would be used everyone > would get good tape quality thus avoiding complete rip offs. > > if this already exits forget i mentioned anything. [Reformatted by hand because of no linefeeds ] I think most of the TMBG traders around here set up their own rules. When you trade, make an effort to know who you are trading with. Most people have their take on the "rules" on a web site or will email you how they do trades. Personally, I take pride in sending out good tapes that are as close to the version I have that I can get. I've put some good chunks of change into my two tape decks, a nice pre-amp, and good cabling. Maxell XLII tapes are good tapes. So are TDK SA90 tapes. If someone wants to send me a Metal tape, I'll do my best to bias it accordingly and record at the higher level that Type IV allows, but I also point out that my tapes are Type II. I can only hope that people I trade with take as good care of their equiptment and adjust recordings based on each tape. So far, I have absolutely no complaints. I'm very happy with the TMBG trading crowd (though the 2:1 vs 1:1 debate has gotten a little old). Maybe the person who taped for you didn't know any better. I know when I started, I needed someone to sit down and explain the etiquette of trading and stuff. -- -===========================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -===========================================================================- Software Engineer | To the end of our health, a campaign 'gainst myself, Software Artistry | armed with bourbons and scotches and rums - Moxy Fruvous -===========================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:17:09 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... Message-ID: <19970730.101753.9598.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Expo67@ix.netcom.com says: > I think that 100,000 is a bit much .... i think you could get they at you > wedding for as little as 10,000 if you timed it right ..... > Actually, you're right on. I booked them (yes, friends, I did!) >for a show in Boston (April 5th) at the Avalon. That's bout the cost. >Y'see, you *could* hire a silly little "we only do weddings" band for the >same price, or you could bat your eyes at Frank Riley and have tmbg. >It's your choice.... :^) well at least there's an idea for the OMLC if anyone ever wants to get around to organizing it.... >Hmm... this seems like a very good idea for those ppl who missed out on OMLTs >(like me, >boo hoo!)...! Christy, wherever you are, how does this sound? WHat do you mean "missed out" on the OMLT's as far as i knew Christy disappeared and no one has heard anything about the outcome of the OMLT's. (ie, they were never made) HOWEver, if we do go with this for the OMLT i think we should all RE-VOTE on the OMLT as i found out that only a select few people ended up voting for the last one... AS well as have any other people that want to submit drawings (or whatever) to be able to do that... >Dave Simpson > LotharCo > As yet unaffected by the flooding in Fort Collins.. welll, at this point i;m glad to say i live in denver and DO nOT have a basement filled with 8 ft. of water!! hahahaaa!! Dave, do you go to CSU? One more thing about CO (and ft. collins radio stations).... yesterday i got the dj (from KTCL 93.3) to play FIGNERTIPS!!! woohoo!! as well as 4 other songs (in a row)!! =) i have decided that you are not a true TMBG fan until you can convince a DJ to play fingertips on the air... "disembodied and detached a voice describes the scene" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:35:59 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... Message-ID: On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, I have no Name wrote: > >Hmm... this seems like a very good idea for those ppl who missed out on > OMLTs >(like me, >boo hoo!)...! Christy, wherever you are, how does > this sound? > > WHat do you mean "missed out" on the OMLT's as far as i knew Christy > disappeared and no one has heard anything about the outcome of the > OMLT's. (ie, they were never made) I don't think they have actually been made yet, but all the information was collected by Christy, and the deadline to turn in the info is way past. As I remember, she hasn't had a lot of time to work on the project, but she already did do quite a bit as far as pricing & stuff. If we do want to revote and re-sign-up for OMLT's, I think we should check with Christy first, or we might have two very unhappy shoes on our hands. -Lani O:) "I just don't want anyone to get stepped on" lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DFA9F6.6F84@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:54:14 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG:Pencils tmbgdhutch@juno.com wrote: > > Did someone once ask about TMBG school supplies? > Well, there are TMBG pencils available on their website. > They are REALLY cool! Only $2.00 for 5 pencils! > > If that person was being sarcastic, I am a sucker. > I don't really pick up on written sarcasm. > > Sorry, it's not me. > > -D. HutchPencils!!! ROck!!! I'm always looking for another excuse to be branded a weirdo. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DFAA6F.7E6@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:56:15 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The amazing Linnell lookalikes Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > > > >Losta people look like Linnell. > > My lit teacher is an exact body double for the Prof. > > It scared me, because I went to see THey the night I took my lit final. > > > > "Hey...is that....? Why would my lit teacher be in a band?!?!?" > > Whoa, scary! My friend Rocky's little brother has Linnell hair. > He has good hair, period. I'm envious... > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie I think we could make this a game, where you get a point for every person you see/know/ whatever that looks kinda like Linnell. It's the Linnell game!! The winner will get....ah.... maybe those tmbg pencils that were mentioned. I'll flip for 'em. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DFAADC.2994@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:58:04 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: ReFueled (Totally Rocking) The Denominator wrote: > > > Hi there, > > Just thought I'd be annoying and let you all know about a b-side > compilation that I've just completed... > It's called ReFueled: Hyperfreaked Funkcycle Version II. If you want > to know the whole story behind this, let me know... its a long tale... > anyway, the point is that I've got this tape, and if anyone is interested > lemme know. > Here's what's on it: > > 25 O'clock / Sensurround(MMPR) / James K. Polk(original) / Stormy Pinkness / > Ant / Cabbagetown / Siftin' / Larger Than Life (She's Actual Size reggae > mix) / Welcome to the Jungle / I Blame You / Moving to the Sun / Ondine / > She Was a Hotel Detective / Mrs. Train / Why Does the Sun Shine? / > Spy(single) / I Am Not Your Broom / Jessica / Whirlpool / Snail Dust / > Sensurround(single) / Unforgotten / We've Got a World That Swings / On the > Drag / Counterfeit Faker / Certain People I Could Name / Reprehensible / > They Got Lost / Rat Patrol / > Older / Token Back to Brooklyn / The Edison Museum / Now That I Have > Everything / Greek #3 / Change My World > > The Denominator Sounds cool, I'm interested. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DFAD36.30A6@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:08:06 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... I have no Name wrote: > > Expo67@ix.netcom.com says: > > > I think that 100,000 is a bit much .... i think you could get they at > you > > wedding for as little as 10,000 if you timed it right ..... > > > Actually, you're right on. I booked them (yes, friends, I did!) > >for a show in Boston (April 5th) at the Avalon. That's bout the cost. > >Y'see, you *could* hire a silly little "we only do weddings" band for > the > >same price, or you could bat your eyes at Frank Riley and have tmbg. > >It's your choice.... :^) > > well at least there's an idea for the OMLC if anyone ever wants to get > around to organizing it.... > > >Hmm... this seems like a very good idea for those ppl who missed out on > OMLTs > >(like me, > >boo hoo!)...! Christy, wherever you are, how does this sound? > > WHat do you mean "missed out" on the OMLT's as far as i knew Christy > disappeared and no one has heard anything about the outcome of the > OMLT's. (ie, they were never made) > > HOWEver, if we do go with this for the OMLT i think we should all RE-VOTE > on the OMLT as i found out that only a select few people ended up voting > for the last one... > AS well as have any other people that want to submit drawings (or > whatever) to be able to do that... > > >Dave Simpson > > LotharCo > > As yet unaffected by the flooding in Fort Collins.. > > welll, at this point i;m glad to say i live in denver and DO nOT have a > basement filled with 8 ft. of water!! hahahaaa!! Dave, do you go to CSU? > > One more thing about CO (and ft. collins radio stations).... yesterday i > got the dj (from KTCL 93.3) to play FIGNERTIPS!!! woohoo!! as well as 4 > other songs (in a row)!! =) > > i have decided that you are not a true TMBG fan until you can convince a > DJ to play fingertips on the air... > > "disembodied and detached a voice describes the scene" ---TMBG > love, JOrdaN Doesn't take too much for me to play fingertips. I'm a college radio dj. The fun is when I get random mail that happens to include a copy of tmbg playing on the Kit Kat Acoustic Break. Great music on that. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:49:12 EST From: "Tim: bringing joy through allstus!" Message-ID: <009B8088.9719A6E0.29@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: re: Wedding Bells When they came to my school (Kenyon College), the Social Board paid a flat fee of $7500, but the stage, lights, sound, and goodies for the band ran the total bill up to something like $25,000. Tim ------------------------------ From: PLurie1982@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:58:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970730165753_-1441648954@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: historical tendencies Hey all. I noticed when i checked the interpretations of Purple Toupee (my fave song), that it has a lot of historical meaning. Are there any other songs that show such significant meanings? -Paul ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:34:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970730183425_475917656@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT Hello 41- I know that some people are not going to agree with this, but oh well... It is my opinion that the people who ordered an OMLT have waited way too long. This has been around since at least the winter, or sometime before or around... It is now just about August and not only are there no OMLTs, there isn't much word from Christy. If those of you that want OMLTs really want your shirts, I think maybe another course of action should happen. This is also not a personal attack against Christy. Sometimes circumstance happens and we can't always chew what we bit off. Whatever happened...whatever. <([8^) Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:36:12 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLT Message-ID: <19970730.172828.8590.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) 'Lani' N Olson wrote: > > On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, I have no Name wrote: > > > >Hmm... this seems like a very good idea for those ppl who missed out on > > OMLTs >(like me, >boo hoo!)...! Christy, wherever you are, how does > > this sound? > > > > WHat do you mean "missed out" on the OMLT's as far as i knew Christy > > disappeared and no one has heard anything about the outcome of the > > OMLT's. (ie, they were never made) > > I don't think they have actually been made yet, but all the information > was collected by Christy, and the deadline to turn in the info is way > past. As I remember, she hasn't had a lot of time to work on the project, > but she already did do quite a bit as far as pricing & stuff. If we do > want to revote and re-sign-up for OMLT's, I think we should check with > Christy first, or we might have two very unhappy shoes on our hands. > All i have to say to that is Christy has disappeared... does anyone have her e-mail address? I say that if no one can get a hold of christy in the next few weeks we start this project all over again (*sigh*). Hell, they'll already be half way through their next tour if we don't start doing something... =) "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:24:42 -0600 Subject: TMBG: New Info Club Newsletter Message-ID: <19970730.172828.8590.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Okay... Am I just NOT getting the info club newsletter anymore or did I totally miss this in teh last one: (this excerpt was taken from http://www.tmbg.com/news/things.html) Introducing Dan Hickey If you thought you saw a different curly haired bloke beating the skins for TMBG this spring, give yourself ten points. After the Giant's last drummer spontaneously combusted, Mr. Dan Hickey beat out scores of competing bongo bashers for the coveted throne behind the two Johns ("throne" being drummerese for "drum stool.") Immediately upon winning this beauty contest of sorts, the conquering Hickey had one week to learn 40 TMBG songs, before TMBG hit the road. TMBG info club: "How did you prepare for the grueling task of learning so many songs?" Dan Hickey: "I was just so happy to have this job. It was fun. The songs were all new to me, and I was really pleased with the songs." TMBG Info Club: "um, uh, thanks." "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:30:35 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: hrm bootlegs Message-ID: <19970730.172828.8590.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Chad Maloney wrote: > > CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu wrote: > > > > I believe that this list needs to set up some sort requirements for > > bootleg trade. the phish web pages have set up a very asinine anal > > retentive trade requirements but i am just saying perhaps a standard > > tape class. i traded a TMBG for 5 bootleg tapes and the tapes were > > of such crappy low class condtion that i can neither here, nor > > understand when the tape slooooows down for no reason. > > > > If the list set a precedent that say Maxell 2's would be used everyone > > would get good tape quality thus avoiding complete rip offs. > > > > if this already exits forget i mentioned anything. > [Reformatted by hand because of no linefeeds ] > > I think most of the TMBG traders around here set up their own rules. > When you trade, make an effort to know who you are trading with. Most > people have their take on the "rules" on a web site or will email > you how they do trades. > > Personally, I take pride in sending out good tapes that are as close > to the version I have that I can get. I've put some good chunks of > change into my two tape decks, a nice pre-amp, and good cabling. > Maxell XLII tapes are good tapes. So are TDK SA90 tapes. If someone > wants to send me a Metal tape, I'll do my best to bias it accordingly > and record at the higher level that Type IV allows, but I also > point out that my tapes are Type II. > > I can only hope that people I trade with take as good care of their > equiptment and adjust recordings based on each tape. So far, I have > absolutely no complaints. I'm very happy with the TMBG trading crowd > (though the 2:1 vs 1:1 debate has gotten a little old). > > Maybe the person who taped for you didn't know any better. I know > when I started, I needed someone to sit down and explain the > etiquette of trading and stuff. > I think that the average TMBG trader informs the people they are trading with of the quality. If they know that their tapes are of crappy quality they will typically do a 2:1 trade. Or so has been my experience. "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:48:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Message-ID: <19970730.201940.6550.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) You know, you should be in advertising! On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:23:18 -0400 (EDT) "The Famous Mr. Klaw" writes: >Hello... > >There seems to be an upsurge in the Mono Puff discussion, so now seems >like >the perfect time to announce that there is a brand new, unofficial >Mono Puff >page on the web! The page is located at www.monopuff.org, and on it, >you >can find just about everything you need to know about Mono Puff. >You'll see >the lyrics to all the Mono Puff songs, including those on the new >Hello EPs, >information about all the Mono Puff albums, links to other Mono Puff >pages, >a Mono Puff FAQ, John Flansburgh's Unsupervised libretto, and - the >most >important thing - news about a new Mono Puff album that is currently >in the >works! So don't be left out! Fire up Netscape and take a peek at the >new >Mono Puff webpage. Go now! > >Alex >www.monopuff.org > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:32:33 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Wedding Bells Message-ID: <19970730.203234.6550.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:49:12 EST "Tim: bringing joy through allstus!" writes: >When they came to my school (Kenyon College), the Social Board paid a >flat fee >of $7500, but the stage, lights, sound, and goodies for the band ran >the total >bill up to something like $25,000. > > >Tim > Wow, I had no idea a concert costs so much! But how many people are on this list? And if you devided $25,000 by how many people are on this list it may not cost so much individually. -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:03:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Max Points? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Jul-97 Re: TMBG: Max Points? by Dylan Flipse@csrlink.net > like that. I'd recommend plastering a school notebook with them. I'm sure > Lawrence has his house wall-papered with them. That's it really. I must be getting the wrong Maxell tapes, because I don't recall seeing *any* Max Points... either that or I've gotten so used to opening up the tapes that I just ignore those... :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DFEBFF.3624@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:35:59 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLC / OMLT / Colorado... > > >Hmm... this seems like a very good idea for those ppl who missed out on > > OMLTs >(like me, >boo hoo!)...! Christy, wherever you are, how does > > this sound? > > > > WHat do you mean "missed out" on the OMLT's as far as i knew Christy > > disappeared and no one has heard anything about the outcome of the > > OMLT's. (ie, they were never made) > > I don't think they have actually been made yet, but all the information > was collected by Christy, and the deadline to turn in the info is way > past. As I remember, she hasn't had a lot of time to work on the project, > but she already did do quite a bit as far as pricing & stuff. If we do > want to revote and re-sign-up for OMLT's, I think we should check with > Christy first, or we might have two very unhappy shoes on our hands. Ya know, if Christy has officially disppeared, I could prolly get an OMLT thing up and running. Web page and everything. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:53:52 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Ruprecht wrote: > MacArthur Park is performed by Richard Harris, an actor. It's written > by Jimmy Webb. I recall hearing about a year ago or so that it was > voted the worst song ever in some poll. The 45 Single that I hold in my > hands at the moment was released on Dunhill, A Subsidiary of ABC > records. The single is apparently from "A Tramp Shining," an LP on the > same label, but serious doubt is cast in the direction of finding either > of these today outisde of holding up an oldies radio station. MacArthur Park is indeed a song by the oft-drunken actor Richard Harris, but is far from the worst song he has ever recorded - it is just possibly the worst song ever released as a single. Though it may be difficult to find his full length albums currently, I am the proud owner of not only the LP "A Tramp Shining", but also the majority of his other records (and when I say records, I mean vinyl). These include "The Love Album", "My Boy", "The Yard Went On Forever", and "Slides", the package of which is spectacularly designed to look exactly like an oversize Kodak slide. I cannot begin to tell you how much I treasure these atrocious albums. I do lack what might be his most amazing work, though: it is a record he made of his own poems and ditties that he recorded with a full orchestra and his then young children, and it is called "I, In The Membership Of My Days". There's nothing quite like this record, and I search for it. I picked up all the others at garage sales, second hand record shops, and one of them was given as a gift, believe it or not. I got the original gatefold pressing of "A Tramp Shining" a few years ago in the vinyl section of a very large music store and it was still sealed and crammed into a pile of heavy metal records. It was four dollars. I mean, chances like that don't come along every day. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Hair can be kept clean only by washing, and a thorough shampoo once a week is usually sufficient." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33DFF1A2.20A3@netins.net> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:00:02 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: OMLT Hey Listies, I haven't been around as long as some of you have. What the heck is an OMLT?! OldFriend ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970730185711.0068cd90@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:57:22 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT It's a t-shirt that we can wear to show off our TMBG Internet fandom and to identify fellow listies at concerts. TTYL, -Adam At 09:00 PM 7/30/97 -0500, you wrote: >Hey Listies, > >I haven't been around as long as some of you have. What the heck is an >OMLT?! /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:56:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970730215516_950874071@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated Yes, I am still here, though rather busier than I had expected. Suffice to say I am going on vacation to Paris (!!!) in two weeks, and have loads of shit, including the OMLT, to wrap up before I go. I have been desperately trying to get in touch with Bob, who is now overseeing the actual shirt production. However, he works during the day and often rehearses in a band at night, plus he has been away for quite some time now. Therefore, the earliest I can get in touch with him is tomorrow night. His wife assures me he will call. I hope to hammer out a final deal with him, and hopefully we can work it out so y'all only have *one* check to write out. No promises. I am pressed for time now but assure you that I will report in full tomorrow evening, at which point I will also-- brace yourselves-- clear up once and for all the Eternal TMBG Genre Question. --Christy P.S. Hint: If I don't know you personally (and therefore would not recognize your e-mail address) and you want to contact me via e-mail, don't make the mail subject vague like "Hi, there!", because I will assume it is junk mail and delete it w/o reading. A good subject would be "Re: OMLT" or whatever you want to know about. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:24:35 -0100 From: slbrown@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Brownie) Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: MacArthur Park > MacArthur Park is indeed a song by the oft-drunken actor Richard >Harris, but is far from the worst song he has ever recorded - it is just >possibly the worst song ever released as a single. My poetry lecturer used MacArthur Park last year as an example of mixed metaphor. She sang along to bits of it. It was the first poetry lecture in first year english and most of the students were wondering what the hell they'd let themselves in for... On english... well critical theory... Because I have too much to do I'm procrastinating by writing a freudian interpretation of some TMBG songs. Any suggestions??? Brownie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-211 ******************************