Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-212 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 212 Friday, 1 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: hrm bootlegs Re: TMBG: Max Points? TMBG: corrections Re: TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated TMBG: Children Singing Particle Man TMBG: Freudian Interps TMBG: Serious Songs? TMBG: miscounting? rounding? Re: TMBG: Children Singing Particle Man Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 TMBG: OMLT TMBG: Removal from list TMBG: OMLC / Wedding Bells TMBG: Children Singing Particle Man RE: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? (none) (none) Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? Re: TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? TMBG: Thank heavens for little shoes TMBG: Re: TMBG: ".... and now on with the countdown" TMBG: Re: serious songs TMBG: Re: serious songs Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: Re: serious songs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:50:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Darlington Darling Subject: Re: TMBG: hrm bootlegs Message-ID: On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu wrote: > I believe that this list needs to set up some sort requirements for > bootleg trade. the phish web pages have set up a very asinine anal > retentive trade requirements but i am just saying perhaps a standard > tape class. i traded a TMBG for 5 bootleg tapes and the tapes were of > such crappy low class condtion that i can neither here, nor understand > when the tape slooooows down for no reason. If the list set a precedent > that say Maxell 2's would be used everyone would get good tape quality > thus avoiding complete rip offs. A great thought, but who would decide what the rules are, and why should anyone be forced to adhere to them? Phish.Net has a set of taping _guidelines_, but they are definitely "trade requirements". They have no power to do so. Plus, the Phish community has a very respectable trading community (very high quality equipment used, always 1:1 blanks, etc), and they don't want to lose that. In addition, I'd have to say that for hi-fi shows, Maxell XLII's make all the difference. But some shows are just so crappy to start with that no XLII is ever going to save it. "Maxell 2's would be used everyone would get good quality" is quite untrue. The best thing you can do is only trade with people who give information about the quality of their tapes. My list grades the tapes, and each concert also has a couple sentences describing the quality in more detail. Just trade smart and you'll be a lot less likely to be burned.. \\\\ (X X) []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward: joshw@tmbg.org [] What's the hassle? I'll buy the [] [] Internet Tech. - Marathon Oil [] castle. If we're together forever, [] [] Homepage and tape trade list: [] (I've) got a world that swings. [] [] http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw [] [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\--------------Dial-A-Sig------------/[] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E0B132.1DDB@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:37:22 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Max Points? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-Jul-97 Re: TMBG: Max Points? by > Dylan Flipse@csrlink.net > > like that. I'd recommend plastering a school notebook with them. I'm sure > > Lawrence has his house wall-papered with them. That's it really. > > I must be getting the wrong Maxell tapes, because I don't recall seeing > *any* Max Points... either that or I've gotten so used to opening up the > tapes that I just ignore those... :) I haven't gotten any Max Points in a long time either. But kinda makes sense, since they are expired and all. I guess all the people still getting Max Points are getting older tapes. I dunno. That would be a pretty cool school notebook, though Spell They Might Be Giants in them on the front... maybe use Max Points to make shirts, pants... a Max Points 3 piece suit. The possibilities are endless. Maybe there should be a song about making things out of Max Points. Borrow Barenakes Ladies $1,000,000 and do 1,000,000 Max Points... -- -======================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -======================================================================- Software Engineer | If I had 1,000,000 Max Points / We'd build a "Max Software Artistry | Point" fort in our yard - (pitiful attempt at humor) -======================================================================- ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:38:39 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: corrections Message-id: <01ILVRH2OP1CM73ZAM@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network exits = exists i traded a TMBG poster. i didnt actually trade the band for 5 tapes. other mistakes i apologize for sam ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated Message-ID: <19970731.064642.5751.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:57:36 EDT So who wants to place bets on whether or not the OMLT will be completed before a certain someone goes to Paris in two weeks? Larry "I'm lonely and I'm right." - Ben Folds http://members.aol.com/GaritRN - All my bootlegs =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970731081058.0068ebbc@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:10:59 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Children Singing Particle Man Hey all, On tmbg.com, They found out about the kids who sang Particle Man. Turns out they were a second grade class during 1990. This means that they would have just finished 9th grade (possibly 8th grade) this summer. I wonder if any of them became fans? If so, they would be just the right age for being one of the young members of this mailing list. So, um... any of you out there from Ottawa Elementary of Buchanan, Michigan? --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:17:37 -0400 Message-Id: <199707311617.MAA20235@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Freudian Interps Well, the first thing that comes to my mind would be Where Your Eyes Don't Go, because to me it deals with the unconscious and the ID and EGO and stuff like that... the ID is supposed to be wild and extreme and animalistic... and would appear to be a "nightmare" to the civilized mind (the ego+superego). And you'll never be discovering it, because it is subconscious, and filteres through the ego.. but it is still there... There's more there, but I am getting out of my psych major and I don't want to get into it :) Also, Dinnerbell seems to be all about Pavlov's Dog (which is not Freudian Psychology, but another realm of psychology that deals with conditioned responses...) If you are familiar with this area (and the song) there is a lot there to work with. However, if you are doing Freudian interps along the lines of Oedipus complexes and phallic stages and the like... I guess the real test would be to take ANY song and find that stuff. I think I Palindrome I might lend to it, just because of the mentioning of the Mother and death (killing?) and father and all that.. you could come up with some very confusing psychobabble that would make the innocent song sound like the campaign anthem for psychopathy :) That's why psychology is so fun! Did I mention that I'm still asleep? Kris >Because I have too much to do I'm procrastinating by writing a freudian >interpretation of some TMBG songs. Any suggestions??? > >Brownie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:22:35 -0400 Message-Id: <199707311622.MAA20434@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Serious Songs? Ok, I was thinking the other day (it's ok, i was supervised). Anyway, I was wondering what TMBG's most serious songs are. MOst of their stuff seems to celebrate a kind of lightheartedness, a joviality that is part of not taking yourself (or much of anything) very seriously. However, there have to be soe serious songs out there, and I was wondering which ones you thought were actually serious. I came up with a few: 1)Your Racist Friend 2)I Blame You 3)Unforgotten That's about all I could get that were *totally* serious. The problem is in the Giant's style. They often mix the serious with the comical (or at least ironic or fun or something), either in the words themselves or by the contrast of the meaning of the song and its sound. For example, "They'll Need a Crane" is about people breaking up, and parts of it are sad and serious, but the treatment They give it has made several people refer to it as "funny" (see current info club letter or tmbg.com). ALso, "I've Got a Match" seems to be about the same deal... I think that perhaps They do this intentionally in order to disempower the negativity of the subject of the songs... to counteract their seriousness and make them easier to deal with. Then again, i STILL think I'm asleep. Kris ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:14:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? tmbg.com says that Dan had to learn 40 TMBG songs before they went on tour... but I can only come up with 39... 1. sexxy, til, sing, dead guy, metal, nyc, worst, xtc, 9. spiral, polk, pet, hear, older, counterfeit, certain, reprehensible, 17. unforgotten, sensurround, rat patrol, lost, drag, sleeping, spy, 25. plan, ensor, dig, actual, spider, guitar, birdhouse, istanbul, 33. particle, twisting, where, shoe, rhythm, sun, replacements or does he play Ana Ng, too? ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 15:03 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Children Singing Particle Man > I wonder if any of them became fans? If so, they would be just the >right age for being one of the young members of this mailing list. So, >um... any of you out there from Ottawa Elementary of Buchanan, Michigan? Michigan?! Neat! :) Too bad I don't even really know where Buchanan is... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 15:11 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? I think that perhaps They do this >intentionally in order to disempower the negativity of the subject of the >songs... to counteract their seriousness and make them easier to deal with. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but I agree that they definitely do this. It's like, they take a sad, serious subject, and look at it in such a sadly funny way... "And the song they play..." I think we as humans tend to do this a lot, anyway; whenever I'm faced with a serious situation, I tend to latch onto the trivial and try to make a joke about it. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E0EA47.5E66@chicago.avenew.com> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:40:55 -0500 From: Cook household Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 I still can't make head nor tail of these messages. Can you send me something to help? I'm confused. ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199707312001.NAA22993@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:01:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: OMLT Hi. I'm ignorent. What is an OMLT? Is it Official Mailing list T-shirt? If so, I would like to order one. I know some you are saying it's to late. Well, I'm sorry, but I joined only two months ago and I was gone all June. But, if it's to late, then I'm screwed. ------------------------------ From: MadeToFly@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:28:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970731172830_476183550@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Removal from list --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Removal from list Date: 97-07-31 17:24:29 EDT From: MadeToFly To: tmbgirl@juno.com umm i forgot how to get removed can anyone tell me thanks. i just can't keep up with it anymore ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:29:27 -0600 Subject: TMBG: OMLC / Wedding Bells Message-ID: <19970731.153746.9118.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) >Wow, I had no idea a concert costs so much! But how many people are on >this list? And if you devided $25,000 by how many people are on this list >it may not cost so much individually. >-Evan R. Kleve OUr main goal was just to get some big companies to cover the cost... This amount is not so outrageous (nor is the purpose) that large companies wouldn't be willing to donate something.... or laugh in our faces... which ever. "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:30:49 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Children Singing Particle Man Message-ID: <19970731.183051.3542.0.tmbg.jneill@juno.com> From: tmbg.jneill@juno.com (jenny e neill) > I wonder if any of them became fans? If so, they >would be just the >right age for being one of the young members of this >mailing list. So, >um... any of you out there from Ottawa Elementary of >Buchanan, Michigan? > Michigan?! Neat! :) Too bad I don't even really >know where >Buchanan is... i'm from jackson, mi. where the heck is Buchanan? i just signed on the mailing list and was wondering if i could order one of those OMLT shirts if it's not too late. jenny jenny ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC9DE5.2E4CFBC0@pm10a02.shentel.net> From: Tim Clark Subject: RE: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:08:41 -0400 You forgot Turn Around. --Cpdog -----Original Message----- From: Lawrence P Solomon [SMTP:lps+@andrew.cmu.edu] Sent: Thursday, July 31, 1997 1:14 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? tmbg.com says that Dan had to learn 40 TMBG songs before they went on tour... but I can only come up with 39... 1. sexxy, til, sing, dead guy, metal, nyc, worst, xtc, 9. spiral, polk, pet, hear, older, counterfeit, certain, reprehensible, 17. unforgotten, sensurround, rat patrol, lost, drag, sleeping, spy, 25. plan, ensor, dig, actual, spider, guitar, birdhouse, istanbul, 33. particle, twisting, where, shoe, rhythm, sun, replacements or does he play Ana Ng, too? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:16:05 -0500 Message-ID: <19970731.184233.6662.1.ExquisiteDeadGuy@juno.com> From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Your Mother) Does anyone know of any IRC servers w/ TMBG channells? _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:42:29 -0500 Message-ID: <19970731.184233.6662.2.ExquisiteDeadGuy@juno.com> From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Your Mother) I'm Lookin for Bass Tabs for TMBG send me any links ya can. _________________________________________________________ "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. _________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:47:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970731194724_-690380227@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? << I was thinking the other day (it's ok, i was supervised). Anyway, I was wondering what TMBG's most serious songs are. MOst of their stuff seems to celebrate a kind of lightheartedness, a joviality that is part of not taking yourself (or much of anything) very seriously. However, there have to be soe serious songs out there, and I was wondering which ones you thought were actually serious. I came up with a few: 1)Your Racist Friend 2)I Blame You 3)Unforgotten That's about all I could get that were *totally* serious. The problem is in the Giant's style. They often mix the serious with the comical (or at least ironic or fun or something), either in the words themselves or by the contrast of the meaning of the song and its sound. For example, "They'll Need a Crane" is about people breaking up, and parts of it are sad and serious, but the treatment They give it has made several people refer to it as "funny" (see current info club letter or tmbg.com). ALso, "I've Got a Match" seems to be about the same deal... I think that perhaps They do this intentionally in order to disempower the negativity of the subject of the songs... to counteract their seriousness and make them easier to deal with. >> I agree with that theory, Kris. That's what makes Their songs so comforting to me--they are wonderfully whimiscal and lighthearted in many ways, yet the subjects are (usually) too serious and cynical to dismiss as silly, Pollyanna-ish fluff. As for totally "serious" songs, I would add "End of the Tour" to the list--it always struck me as the saddest, most moving TMBG song ever written. I know all about the car wreck/drunk driving interps, but I like to think of it simply as a love song to someone who has died, and what better metaphor for death for a musician than "the end of the tour"? Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:11:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 31-Jul-97 RE: TMBG: miscounting? rou.. by Tim Clark@rma.edu > You forgot Turn Around. have they played that since Dan joined? (I also forgot Purple Toupee... oops) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E1554E.5169@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:17:34 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Paul Tomlinson wrote: > > Hey Listies, > > I haven't been around as long as some of you have. What the heck is an > OMLT?! > > OldFriend Ditto. As they'd say on MST 3K, "i'm confused, Joel." Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E15575.32CF@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:18:13 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Adam Tyner wrote: > > It's a t-shirt that we can wear to show off our TMBG Internet fandom and to > identify fellow listies at concerts. > > TTYL, > > -Adam > > At 09:00 PM 7/30/97 -0500, you wrote: > >Hey Listies, > > > >I haven't been around as long as some of you have. What the heck is an > >OMLT?! > /----=========================================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 oh. Now I feel dumb. neat site info, tho. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E15779.584A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:26:49 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-176 Cook household wrote: > > I still can't make head nor tail of these messages. Can you send me > something to help? I'm confused. I'm still learning as well. There are basically a few conversations going on here, as defined by the subject line (ex: anything with 2:1 or 1:1 is about bootlegging, there's a Mono Puff discussion,etc). I hope this helps! If not, hand on tight, it's gonna be a wild ride. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E156F3.389@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:24:35 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? The Denominator wrote: > > > Ok, > > I was thinking the other day (it's ok, i was supervised). Anyway, I > was wondering what TMBG's most serious songs are. MOst of their stuff seems > to celebrate a kind of lightheartedness, a joviality that is part of not > taking yourself (or much of anything) very seriously. However, there have to > be soe serious songs out there, and I was wondering which ones you thought > were actually serious. > > I came up with a few: > > 1)Your Racist Friend > 2)I Blame You > 3)Unforgotten > > That's about all I could get that were *totally* serious. The > problem is in the Giant's style. They often mix the serious with the comical > (or at least ironic or fun or something), either in the words themselves or > by the contrast of the meaning of the song and its sound. For example, > "They'll Need a Crane" is about people breaking up, and parts of it are sad > and serious, but the treatment They give it has made several people refer to > it as "funny" (see current info club letter or tmbg.com). ALso, "I've Got a > Match" seems to be about the same deal... I think that perhaps They do this > intentionally in order to disempower the negativity of the subject of the > songs... to counteract their seriousness and make them easier to deal with. > Then again, i STILL think I'm asleep. > > Kris "Wreck it apart" "I'll Sink Manhattan" "Your Racist Friend" "They'll Need a Crane" ..are a few that come to mind. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E135E2.576@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:03:30 -0400 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: Thank heavens for little shoes i knew our little shoe freak wasn't dead. shame on you all for blasting her! :) (smile it's called humour!) i'm patiently waiting for my omlt to become available. Green Jello (you see why i just lurk nowadays?) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E144A7.7D39@netins.net> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:06:31 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: Re: Your Mother wrote: > > Does anyone know of any IRC servers w/ TMBG channells? > _________________________________________________________ > "Those who heed my words are more a fool than anyone"-Me > E-mail me at Muad.dib@juno.com for non-TMBG stuff. > All my grammer and spelling is subject to mutilation. > _________________________________________________________ Well, there's always #TMBG on EFnet. OldFriend ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970801022327.00679540@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:23:27 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: ".... and now on with the countdown" Wouldn't it be cool to have K.C. Cassem (sp?) play a They song during one of "request and dedication" segments? I think She's an Angel would be a good one for someone's true love. Or End of the Tour or They'll Need a Crane for a lost loved one. So anyone on here have a good story to go with a They song that they might be willing to actually write in? And no, this isn't something you should fake. Anybody have a love in another country? Request Ana Ng. For once, I'd like to not hear Wind Beneath My Wings or a Whitney Houston song during the segment. I interupted my REM sleep for this? Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E14B8A.63BE@netins.net> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:35:54 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: Re: serious songs The Denominator wrote: > > 1)Your Racist Friend > 2)I Blame You > 3)Unforgotten > > That's about all I could get that were *totally* serious. I disagree. On "I Blame You" the following lyrics appear. He drops his car keys And crawls on the ground Finds her old haircomb She'd wear into town Can't bear to keep it Or throw it away Gets back down on his kness Put it back where it lay Isn't the act of putting it back actually throwing it away? Unless the comb is in a familiar place, ie driveway, and then that would constitute keeping it. In "Racist Friend" the following appears: This is where the party ends I can't stand here listening to you This is where the party ends I'll just sit here wondering how you He can avoid standing by sitting, but still, how would that make the party end. He has to *leave* for it to end. The majority of Their songs contain such ironies and paradoxes. That's what I love about Their songs. I feel they really capture the human spirit, which is always contradicting itself. There's almost always conflicting emotion inside of all of us. Like the boy in "I Blame You," sometimes we can't totally let go of things, but can't stay committed to them either. While serious can be taken different ways, I think most of Their songs are serious. They simply convay the mixed emotions and paradoxes found in all of us. Thanks to tmbg.org for the lyrics. OldFriend ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:12:57 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: TMBG: Re: serious songs Message-ID: On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Paul Tomlinson wrote: > In "Racist Friend" the following appears: > > This is where the party ends > I can't stand here listening to you > This is where the party ends > I'll just sit here wondering how you > > He can avoid standing by sitting, but still, how would that make the > party end. He has to *leave* for it to end. > OldFriend Actually, it seems to mean that the party has ended for the singer only. As soon as the "racist friend" showed up, the singer stopped having fun. For him, the party had ended. I think that, generally, all of Their songs have a serious meaning behind them, even though they are presented in a less than serious manner. A very few have little meaning behind them at all. Still, the songs are (even for the Johns) really nothing but Rorshach (sp?) ink blots. The interps made of them tell more about the interprator than they do about the song. Jim -I met someone at the They list; she was holding my keyboard. But everyone was posting normal, so I tried to type nonchalant.- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 22:58 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? I would add "End of the >Tour" to the list--it always struck me as the saddest, most moving TMBG song >ever written. I know all about the car wreck/drunk driving interps, but I >like to think of it simply as a love song to someone who has died, and what >better metaphor for death for a musician than "the end of the tour"? Maybe this is morbid, but I was just thinking today as I was making a TMBG mix tape for a friend (I always end w/ End of the Tour) that maybe that's what I would like on my tombstone: "...We'll meet at the end of the tour." Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 23:05 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: serious songs >He drops his car keys >And crawls on the ground >Finds her old haircomb >She'd wear into town >Can't bear to keep it >Or throw it away >Gets back down on his kness >Put it back where it lay This is one of my all-time favorite TMBG verses. The first time I ever heard it, I almost cried, just because it was so true. How many times have you done that? You find something that you don't want, becuase it reminds you of someone/something, but you can't really bear to throw it away, either. So you stuff it back under the couch, or back onto the shelf in the closet, or leave it in the bottom of a drawer hoping that you won't find it again. I can remember doing that with a t-shirt I had when I was younger. One of my friends signed the shirt, and then later that year was killed in a car accident. I couldn't stand wearing the shirt, didn't even want to look at it - but I couldn't stand to throw it away, either. I ultimately stuffed it in the back of a drawer, and now I'm not sure what happened to it... I expect one of these days I'll find it again. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-212 ******************************