Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-213 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 213 Saturday, 2 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: serious songs Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Re: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? TMBG: RE:somethin TMBG: my suggestion about bootlegs TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) TMBG: Polk! TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: serious songs Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: I ended up really, really, really sad. Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) TMBG: SLowing Mail Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Re: TMBG: SLowing Mail Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Re: TMBG: SLowing Mail Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG TMBG: Slowing Mail Re: TMBG: Slowing Mail TMBG: concert costs Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG TMBG: tmbg videos TMBG: OMLTs, finally Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Re: TMBG: tmbg videos Re: TMBG: 1:1 vs 2:1 TMBG: Jessica TMBG: a great big thanks TMBG: Re: tmbg videos Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos TMBG: particale man Re: TMBG: a great big thanks Re: TMBG: Polk! Re: TMBG: Jessica Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 01:59:46 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: serious songs Message-ID: Good point Jim. I've often found that I can interpret most of Their songs in more than one way. Typically, each one of my interps applies to a different mood or situation in life, etc. That's one of the best things about Them, the songs They write are usually about things most people don't really take time to think seriously about. Now, I will disappear back into the shadows of the list until I can think of something that's at least a little thought provoking :) Jonnie Coffman (Jon Misc.) On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Jim wrote: > On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Paul Tomlinson wrote: > > > In "Racist Friend" the following appears: > > > > This is where the party ends > > I can't stand here listening to you > > This is where the party ends > > I'll just sit here wondering how you > > > > He can avoid standing by sitting, but still, how would that make the > > party end. He has to *leave* for it to end. > > OldFriend > > Actually, it seems to mean that the party has ended for the singer > only. As soon as the "racist friend" showed up, the singer stopped having > fun. For him, the party had ended. > > I think that, generally, all of Their songs have a serious meaning > behind them, even though they are presented in a less than serious manner. > A very few have little meaning behind them at all. Still, the songs are > (even for the Johns) really nothing but Rorshach (sp?) ink blots. The > interps made of them tell more about the interprator than they do about > the song. > > Jim > -I met someone at the They list; she was holding my keyboard. But > everyone was posting normal, so I tried to type nonchalant.- > ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 07:08:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970801070844_1549086881@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Back from vacation (do I hear groaning?) and I read this interesting post. Serious Songs. Well, I think, why not Piece of Dirt? Bear with me here. My long-held interp of this song is one of a guy who loses everything in his life, and it's his fault and thus all he has left is the piece of dirt he's standing on. Piece of Dirt That is all I'm standing on today Piece of Dirt The whole world has slipped away. See what I mean? Further explanation: (If you really care or just want to humor me) I would climb the highest mountian (Go to extreme lengths) Just to jump into a fountain (Get a smeggin' pint of beer!) Or to fly I'd fly away (Get away from his no good life, perhaps suicide) A woman's voice on the radio Can convince you you're in love (A radio therapist who is paid to make people happy) A woman's voice on the telephone Can convince you you're alone (His ex-wife, telling him she's taken the kids and the house, she hates him, he's an insensitive lout, yadda yadda) But I set my sail so long ago (Set my values, ways, morals, or lack thereof) They've revoked my sailor's badge (Taken away his life for being a stupid jerk.) Said I should be content and happy On this ink spot where I stand (He's got nothing; the world seems to think he deserves it) Repeat chorus I find myself haunted By a spooky man named me (Haunted of memories of what he did to get to this state of pitiful non-being) I wish that I could jump out of my skin (Be someone else, live a new life) There you have it. Sorry for the length. I'm just really bored, and I'm taking it out on you Lovers of They. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Ramble On and Annoy Others" (Mr. Me, and I'm haunted by him) ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 01:16:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970801011625_-21072277@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Listees ignore this part: Hi Ashley and Jon. I wrote this for the TMBG mailing list. I thought you might care. There has been a lot of recurring debate about what genre TMBG fits into, especially lately. This question brings itself up and extinguishes itself from time to time without anyone ever coming up with a satisfying answer. People yell at each other over genre definitions and whether or not the question is even valid for a little while, various people offer painfully hyphenated solutions like "rock-pop-metal-country-artsy-jazz-alternative", but nobody can ever think of something that really, elegantly encompasses all of TMBG's work. This will not do. We are human beings who are obsessed with catagorizing and labeling everything around us. (I got a 5 on the AP Psych exam, so don't mess with me!) Even though some of you may claim not to care where TMBG fits, I *know* there is that little part of your brain that nags at you, "Hey, buddy! Where the hell do I file these guys?" So I guess my unconcious mind has been at work on this question for some time now (w/o my permission, of course... I wish it had been spending its time on solving something important, like the federal defecit or the ozone layer, but I guess that would have taken a lot longer). The answer came to me in the shower, as these things generally do. TMBG plays Impressionist Rock. Yeah, so I made it up. Well, there sure as hell don't fit anywhere pre-existing, so why not? Here's by somewhat garbled rationale for this title. I'm sure you are all familiar with the French Impressionist movement of late last century... Monet, Degas, Renoir, etc. They used light and nature as the focus of their paintings, but that is not important. What *is* important is that the overall effect of the painting was more important to them than the details contained in it. While everyone else was slaving over the small stuff, they used thick brushstrokes and large patches of sometimes incongruous colors to create an overall effect. It is also worth noting that, at the time, their paintings were ridiculed by critics and misunderstood by pretty much everyone else, except for a few people who evidently recognized that perhaps in this case different was better. But I think I'm getting ahead of myself. The Impressionist movement also affected music. The only Impressionist composer I know of is Debussy, but I'm sure there are others somewhere. Anyway, if you listen to some of Debussy's work (particularly Les Nuages or La Mer... yikes!), you'll notice the approach to the art is similar to the one taken by Impressionist painters: any individual chunk (I am sure there is a real word for that) of music may not seem to have any particular point or be descriptive of anything. But listen for a few minutes and you'll hear it crop up again somewhere. Eventually, you begin to feel the overall effect of the work. You can actually see those damn Nuages after a while. Again, the whole of the work is more important than its individual parts. It is hard to explain this in writing without sounding very pompous, so I suggest you listen for yourself. (Actually, I think Phillip Glass is like this in some ways, also, except that Debussy is cool whereas Phillip Glass sucks... but that is neither here nor there.) Finally, I would like to call upon the memory of anyone who has seen that Fantasia movie, wherein Disney tries to get us to believe that watching hippos in tutus is somehow conducive to music appreciation. But I digress. At some point in the film, the altogether too self-important narrator points out in a rare moment of insight that there are three types of classical music in terms of imagery. One type creates random imagery without any real coherence (I think the example they use in the film is Beethoven's 9th). Another type tells a definite story of some kind (this would be, say, the Nutcracker). And there is one kind in the middle, which presents some kind of storyline without providing any specific imagery or details (this would be like Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony). Of course, it is many years since I saw this film and I may be remembering this wrong. But these are all the facts that somehow got tumbled together in my head as I tapped it to get the shampoo suds out of my ear. It occured to me that TMBG seem to fit all of these catagories nicely. They, whether they intend to be or not, are Impressionists. No matter what song I applied this to, aside from the straight educational songs, it seemed that almost every one presented the outline or shell of a storyline which is left to you to untangle. Not many details are provided. The specific imagery is really up to you. Any particular line from a song may not seem to make much sense if analyzed alone at face value, but together the lines build the framework of a storyline. Think of Lie Still Little Bottle. Think of She's Actual Size. Think of The Day, or Subliminal, or Don't Let's Start, or Particle Man. They all fit. Think of Ana Ng, fer gosh sakes!!! Ana Ng: Generally accepted to be a story about someone on the other side of the world. The singer seems to be lamenting the fact that they are not together. Why? Are they lovers, pen pals? Foreign dignitaries (hey, it could happen)? Or is Ana an abstract concept? Does the singer feel that there is someone "out there" in the world that he is destined to meet, but just keeps missing? Or were these near-misses actual encounters with a real person? We just don't know. The outline of the story is there, but we have to create our own details. Try it with Particle Man: Seems to be about a particle, a universe, and a triangle with a mean streak. What does Triangle Man represent? What does he have against particles and people? Is this a metaphor for quantum mechanics, evolution, or possibly wrestling, as various people have suggested? Nobody knows (Particle Man... sorry, couldn't help it). Again, the story is just a shell. Or Pencil Rain: I think this one works especially well. Evidentally, there is some kind of battle going on against... pencils. This is that big splotch of green on Madame Monet's face: If you look at it too closely, it seems to make very little sense. But I know that whenever I sit down to take a scantron test, all I can think of as I survey all the little ovals is "look out for Number Two" and "the thunderous clamor of splintering wood." So is "perishing in the pencil rain" some kind of metaphor? Well, maybe. The Johns ain't tellin'. The story is there, but the details are up to you. And what does TMBG have to say about their rock videos? That they prefer not to follow the storyline of the song exactly in the video because "everyone has their own imagery" of a song which they don't want to destroy. I think all of these things point very strongly to the Impressionist themes I've been hitting you over the head with. So whether you happen to think that the Johns can be catagorized or not, I hope you will at least admit that Impressionist Rock is a pretty darn good starting point. (Because if you do, maybe someday I can get you to realize that *I am always right*) --Christy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970801030712.006ea850@fyi.net> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:07:12 -0400 From: Josh Subject: Re: TMBG: miscounting? rounding? They played Turn Around at IUP in April with Dan Josh At 08:11 PM 7/31/97 -0400, you wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 31-Jul-97 RE: TMBG: miscounting? >rou.. by Tim Clark@rma.edu >> You forgot Turn Around. > >have they played that since Dan joined? > >(I also forgot Purple Toupee... oops) > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970801141411.00664754@pop.holli.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 10:14:11 -0400 From: Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton Subject: TMBG: RE:somethin Does anyone know of any IRC servers w/ TMBG channells?<<<< Efnet has #tmbg, which is full of friendly people. Lincoln also lives there. ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 11:59:56 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: my suggestion about bootlegs Message-id: <01ILXAPI88OAM743N9@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network When i say guidelines i just say we settle on a type of tape that would be acceptable for traders (maxell 2's or whatever else) that way if people dont trade with them we can alert the list not to trade with those people. this avoids people getting, as i did, completely ripped off in trades sam ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199708011622.JAA24191@mailtod-113.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:22:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) What's the deal with Linnell's famous stare? Is there anyway I can see it? I was listening to The End Of The Tour a week ago and when the interp hit me, I cried. This was everyone else's interp, but when I realized it was real, I cried. I'm not usually sad about death (I think death is wonderful because we go to heaven and that "life" is just punishment for something we did in our pastlives :)), but I think the way the song goes and how this guy has to suffer in life and can be relieved only when he dies (wow, this sounds like the other thing in parenthesis) just makes it sad. Anyone else get sad over this song? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708011711.DAA31726@mail.hartingdale.com.au> From: "wombat" Subject: TMBG: Polk! Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 03:11:41 +1000 Hey all, Just letting you folks know that I put my James K Polk page up, and yes, it is almost wholly stolen from Encarta :) For those of you interested, you can check it out at http://www.hartingdale.com.au/~wombat/polk.htm Let me know what y'all think :) See ya soon Andrew C *------------------------------------------------------ "In this world, the bad guys can win" - Benedict, Last Action Hero Andrew C wombat@hartingdale.com.au DALnet #1 net on the planet irc.dal.net port 7000 *------------------------------------------------------ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:19:32 -0400 Subject: TMBG: OMLT Message-ID: <19970801.121935.3390.0.stephsharer@juno.com> From: stephsharer@juno.com (Stephanie E Sharer) hey i am also new to the list (even though i've been a huge tmbg fan for 5 years), and i would like to order the OMLT t-shirt. it shouldn't be too late if the girl hasn't ordered them yet! ~Stephanie ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:17:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Aug-97 TMBG: Things that came into.. by expo67@webtv.net > it sad. Anyone else get sad over this song? I think it's pretty universal. This has been generally accepted as one of TMBG's most depressing songs, but also one of their absolute best. Depending on my mood, it can make me feel different ways or stimulate different emotions... (I place 4 songs in the category of "Magical Linnell Songs" - She's an Angel, The End of the Tour, The Bells are Ringing, and Certain People I Could Name. While Flans doesn't write songs that are quite so magical or emotionally intense, Reprehensible and Sleeping in the Flowers are the best approximation of "Magical Flans Songs." Also, Ana Ng and Metal Detector are Linnell's runners up) I also think it has something to do with Linnell's voice. When he sings The End of the Tour in concert, he tends to draw out his vowels a bit more - "At the aaand aaaaf the tour... when the roooooooad diiiiiiiisappears... if there's aaaaaaaaaaaany..." and that, for some reason, makes it more depressing... ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:21:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970801132138_-423583804@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG I've never heard anything so well put in my entire life. It was brilliant! If the world is ever on the brink of being enslaved by culture-stealing headhunter pygmies from the Beta quadrant, I will be the first to elect you our heroine. I actually copied the text of the mail and put it into an MS-Word document. I'm saving it, in case any more slack-jawed yokels ever question the position of TMBG in today's world of music. I will simply thrust a copy of the e-mail into their hands and hope they can read. Well done, and kudos. -Geoff ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E24555.5B5E@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:21:41 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: serious songs Jim wrote: > > On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Paul Tomlinson wrote: > > > In "Racist Friend" the following appears: > > > > This is where the party ends > > I can't stand here listening to you > > This is where the party ends > > I'll just sit here wondering how you > > > > He can avoid standing by sitting, but still, how would that make the > > party end. He has to *leave* for it to end. > > OldFriend > > Actually, it seems to mean that the party has ended for the singer > only. As soon as the "racist friend" showed up, the singer stopped having > fun. For him, the party had ended. > > I think that, generally, all of Their songs have a serious meaning > behind them, even though they are presented in a less than serious manner. > A very few have little meaning behind them at all. Still, the songs are > (even for the Johns) really nothing but Rorshach (sp?) ink blots. The > interps made of them tell more about the interprator than they do about > the song. > > Jim > -I met someone at the They list; she was holding my keyboard. But > everyone was posting normal, so I tried to type nonchalant.- Did you both say "I really love you?" I think you both have similar ideas going on w/ Racist. Geez, who would've thought that one innocent question would become the Big Discussion Section for the week... Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E24600.39B8@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:24:32 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > I would add "End of the > >Tour" to the list--it always struck me as the saddest, most moving TMBG song > >ever written. I know all about the car wreck/drunk driving interps, but I > >like to think of it simply as a love song to someone who has died, and what > >better metaphor for death for a musician than "the end of the tour"? > > Maybe this is morbid, but I was just thinking today as I was > making a TMBG mix tape for a friend (I always end w/ End of the Tour) that > maybe that's what I would like on my tombstone: "...We'll meet at the end > of the tour." > > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie It would definately be one of the most read tombstones. I like to think of "End of the Tour" as kind of an ode to someone or something that's lost in the past (say, an ex-lover, or some childhood toy),the singer being, as you said, a musican. It's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard in my life. (well, that was meant to be sad, anyway!) Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E24700.4102@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:28:48 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? LePoopee@aol.com wrote: > > Back from vacation (do I hear groaning?) and I read this interesting post. > > Serious Songs. > > Well, I think, why not Piece of Dirt? > > Bear with me here. My long-held interp of this song is one of a guy who > loses everything in his life, and it's his fault and thus all he has left is > the piece of dirt he's standing on. > > Piece of Dirt > That is all I'm standing on today > Piece of Dirt > The whole world has slipped away. > > See what I mean? > Further explanation: (If you really care or just want to humor me) > > I would climb the highest mountian (Go to extreme lengths) > Just to jump into a fountain (Get a smeggin' pint of beer!) > Or to fly > I'd fly away (Get away from his no good life, perhaps suicide) > > A woman's voice on the radio > Can convince you you're in love (A radio therapist who is paid to make people > happy) > > A woman's voice on the telephone > Can convince you you're alone (His ex-wife, telling him she's taken the kids > and the house, she hates him, he's an insensitive lout, yadda yadda) > > But I set my sail so long ago (Set my values, ways, morals, or lack thereof) > They've revoked my sailor's badge (Taken away his life for being a stupid > jerk.) > Said I should be content and happy > On this ink spot where I stand (He's got nothing; the world seems to think he > deserves it) > > Repeat chorus > > I find myself haunted > By a spooky man named me (Haunted of memories of what he did to get to this > state of pitiful non-being) > I wish that I could jump out of my skin (Be someone else, live a new life) > > There you have it. Sorry for the length. I'm just really bored, and I'm > taking it out on you Lovers of They. > > Patrick, or "How I Learned to Ramble On and Annoy Others" > (Mr. Me, and I'm haunted by him)I'd agree with your interp. Has no one else here heard "wreck it apart" yet on tmbg.com? There's another serious bit. A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E24894.2E1@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:35:32 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: I ended up really, really, really sad. expo67@webtv.net wrote: > > What's the deal with Linnell's famous stare? Is there anyway I can see > it? > I was listening to The End Of The Tour a week ago and when the interp > hit me, I cried. This was everyone else's interp, but when I realized it > was real, I cried. I'm not usually sad about death (I think death is > wonderful because we go to heaven and that "life" is just punishment for > something we did in our pastlives :)), but I think the way the song goes > and how this guy has to suffer in life and can be relieved only when he > dies (wow, this sounds like the other thing in parenthesis) just makes > it sad. Anyone else get sad over this song? > As I told another, this is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. Everyone's got their own take on it, but it's all very similar. Amanda p.s.- nice address. > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E2235B.49B0@netins.net> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 12:56:43 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > (I place 4 songs in the category of "Magical Linnell Songs" - She's an > Angel, The End of the Tour, The Bells are Ringing, and Certain People I > Could Name. While Flans doesn't write songs that are quite so magical > or emotionally intense, Reprehensible and Sleeping in the Flowers are > the best approximation of "Magical Flans Songs." Also, Ana Ng and Metal > Detector are Linnell's runners up) > > I also think it has something to do with Linnell's voice. When he sings > The End of the Tour in concert, he tends to draw out his vowels a bit > more - "At the aaand aaaaf the tour... when the roooooooad > diiiiiiiisappears... if there's aaaaaaaaaaaany..." and that, for some > reason, makes it more depressing... Your on to something there. I don't claim to know what I'm talking about, but Flans seems to *do* more with his voice, with the sound of it. For example: Absolutely Bill's Mood, Chess Piece Face, Road Movie To Berlin, If I Wasn't Shy, How Can I Sing Like a Girl...etc al. However, Linnel's voice seems to have a certain quality to it...it is so...words escape me (could I have some help here Christi?) Anyways, I think Flans and Linnell are one of the best duos ever, they complement each other very well. OldFriend I do not know, but at least I know that I do not know. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:33:33 -0400 Message-Id: <199708011833.OAA19498@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: SLowing Mail Hello, This is to all the people who are doing bootleg trades currently. I just thought I'd let you knwo that because of the UPS strike (it did happen, right?), the USPS parcel service will be swamped with packages, and the mail will most likely slow down drastically. Im not sure, but I just wanted to warn everyone that they should add several days to their ETA's. Maybe I have too much free time.... Kris ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 1 Aug 97 14:42 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) >Your on to something there. I don't claim to know what I'm talking >about, but Flans seems to *do* more with his voice, with the sound of >it. For example: Absolutely Bill's Mood, Chess Piece Face, Road Movie >To Berlin, If I Wasn't Shy, How Can I Sing Like a Girl...etc al. >However, Linnel's voice seems to have a certain quality to it...it is >so...words escape me (could I have some help here Christi?) Anyways, I >think Flans and Linnell are one of the best duos ever, they complement >each other very well. Very true. Neither one of them have voices that really fit the classic standards of a "great singing voice," but their voices suit the music they sing. One of the things that makes the Giants truly unique... As for them being one of the best duos ever, right on! :) They're up there with Simon and Garfunkel, Roland Orzabel and Kurt Smith (Kirsten waves to Phil), Lennon and McCartney... Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E24C5B.37EB@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:51:39 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: SLowing Mail The Denominator wrote: > > Hello, > > This is to all the people who are doing bootleg trades currently. I > just thought I'd let you knwo that because of the UPS strike (it did happen, > right?), the USPS parcel service will be swamped with packages, and the mail > will most likely slow down drastically. Im not sure, but I just wanted to > warn everyone that they should add several days to their ETA's. Yep, the UPS strike did happenen just like every 5-7 years. And you are very much correct in your statement. If you want info about that, check out http://www.ipapilot.org/ They got a big clock and information that has completely totally nothing to do with TMBG... Happy Friday.. another day, another Fruvous show -- -==========================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -==========================================================================- Software Engineer | 0-3 in three, days: Day 2 of my FruWeek continues Software Artistry | as I wait till work is over at 5 to trek to St. Louis -==========================================================================- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E24D49.75AA@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:55:37 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > As for them being one of the best duos ever, right on! :) They're > up there with Simon and Garfunkel, Roland Orzabel and Kurt Smith (Kirsten > waves to Phil), Lennon and McCartney... Or Dave and Mike... or Mike and Jian, or Jian and Murray, or Murray and Dave, or Dave and Jian, or Mike and Murray. Not that I've ever heard a FruTwo, but if it were 50% of a FruFour, it would still beat the pants off most other bands... - Chad ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:05:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: SLowing Mail At 20:51 -0000 8/1/97, Chad Maloney wrote: >Yep, the UPS strike did happenen just like every 5-7 years. UPS has never had a strike in they 90 year history... and there is no strike currently and no interruption of service yet... August 1, 1997, 7:45 AM E.S.T. - UPS and the Teamsters union met into the early morning hours. There was substantive discussion on both parties' positions. A mediator has temporarily adjourned the discussions, which will resume at 1:00 PM today. The union has informed its members that any potential job action has been postponed. "We intend to do everything possible to reach an agreement without disrupting our service," said UPS spokesman Ken Sternad. the information a the ipa site says... UPS employees represented by The International Brotherhood of Teamsters are are expected to strike at midnight on July 31st if an agreement with UPS Management is not reached. it says expected... the ups site http://www.ups.com/ is more up to date (although it doesn't have a big clock) >And you are >very much correct in your statement. If you want info about that, >check out > > http://www.ipapilot.org/ > >They got a big clock and information that has completely totally nothing >to do with TMBG... > >Happy Friday.. another day, another Fruvous show > >-- >-==========================================================================- > Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... >-==========================================================================- > Software Engineer | 0-3 in three, days: Day 2 of my FruWeek continues > Software Artistry | as I wait till work is over at 5 to trek to St. >Louis >-==========================================================================-R ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:45:12 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970801154501_-1004691844@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Wow. I mean wow. When I first looked at this message I thought, Crap. I'm going to read all of this? About five sentences later I was interested. Another five sentences and you couldn't tear em away from the screen. I never really thought along the lines of Impressionism before...until now. I think that is a great description of what they do, and that's what I'll call them from now on. At least it gives me something to say besides "Well...thet're, um, rock, but, um, they're jazz....um....um." When someone asks me what kind of music they play. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) "If I have a woman over, she can smoke crack, light a Habachi, have a book burning; I don't really care. God bless her for showing up." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 16:04:04 -0400 Message-Id: <199708012004.QAA21646@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Slowing Mail Oops, There's no strike as of yet. I was using old info.. sorry bout that. Oblivious in Texas ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E25F50.14B9@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 15:12:32 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Slowing Mail No strike, but again, I want to re-iterate, there is a large clock and outdated information at: http://www.ipapilot.org/ (Can you tell it is Friday and I'm in a silly mood?) - Chad ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708012051.AA14046@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: concert costs Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 16:51:49 -0400 (EDT) > On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:49:12 EST "Tim: bringing joy through allstus!" > writes: > >When they came to my school (Kenyon College), the Social Board paid a > >flat fee > >of $7500, but the stage, lights, sound, and goodies for the band ran > >the total > >bill up to something like $25,000. > > > > > >Tim > > > > Wow, I had no idea a concert costs so much! But how many people are on > this list? And if you devided $25,000 by how many people are on this list > it may not cost so much individually. Assuming the price has not gone up higher since then, and that the price of a concert is $25,000 it would still be $100 each if 250 list members participated in this. Most people on the list are college students or younger and don't even have $10 to spare on things. If you got 250 list members to put in $100 you would be the most amazing coordinator history has ever known! Of course, if you were able to get another 500 people to come to the concert and charged $10-20 those 250 who contributed would only pay $60-80, still a hefty price to pay to see a concert! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:00:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Message-ID: On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 LePoopee@aol.com wrote: > I never really thought along the lines of Impressionism before...until now. > I think that is a great description of what they do, and that's what I'll > call them from now on. > At least it gives me something to say besides "Well...thet're, um, rock, but, > um, they're jazz....um....um." When someone asks me what kind of music they > play. I've always said that They are Alternative, and will continue to do so until Impressionist Rock gets a larger following. The way I see it, Alternative is anything/anyband/anysong/anywhatever that doesn't currently fit into any of the pre-existing categories, and doesn't have enough members to become a full category on its own. About the only other Impressionist Rocker that I can think of right off the top of my head (at least until my head falls off) is Beck. Of course, it'll probably end up being like the Impressionist painters . . . these artists won't truly be appreciated until long after they're gone (though Beck has become quite popular . . . so maybe it'll be different). So, until enough Impressionist Rockers show up to fill a music rack at Wal*Mart, I shall continue to call them Alternative. Maybe someday we can walk into the nearest music store to our houses and look through the Impressionist Rock rack . . . someday . . . > Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" > (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) > "If I have a woman over, she can smoke crack, light a Habachi, have a book > burning; I don't really care. God bless her for showing up." If the words in the quotation marks above aren't from Pulp Fiction, I'm sure they could have fit them in without any trouble. =] Jim -This message it is cathing, yes, this message it is catching on fire . . . this message is catching on fiiiiiiiiire.- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708012101.AA14083@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: tmbg videos Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 17:01:56 -0400 (EDT) I think Flansburgh once said of TMBG videos: We don't want to tell what is really happening or what we thought of for this song, so we decided to put in interesting, non-related material that the viewers would really enjoy. That is really paraphrased because I am doing this completely from memory but it portrays the basic point. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:13:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970731231346_-1574854335@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLTs, finally Good news: I talked to the ever-elusive Bob today. As soon as I can give him a color-separated design, a list of sizes, and half the money, we are ready to roll. We went over the design colors, shirt fabric, and other boring stuff. You might be interested, however, that the LIST skull on the front can be printed in half-tone b&w, not only as a line drawing like the other place required. Bob is going to talk to Rocky (shirt production guru) this weekend and let me know Sunday night how much this will cost in total. The prices he gave me before were probably accurate, but he wants to check. It turns out that he cannot accept your individual checks, after all. So you will be sending your checks to me, and I will consolidate them. Here's the plan: I will tell you all on Sunday or Monday what exactly you owe me (including shipping and handling... you can all write out just one check now. Oh, really, don't thank me) and give you my address. When enough checks have arrived that I can pay half of the total fee, I will consolidate the money into one check and give it to Bob. He will start printing your shirts, and they will take about 2 weeks to be completed, by which point I hope to have collected money from everyone. I will consolidate the rest of the money, give it to Bob, and he will give me all the shirts. I will have to pack and ship all of your shirts myself... pity me. You will recieve your shirt/shirts probably within a month of sending your check if you live in the US (no guarantees, of course). You foreign folks will just have to wait a little longer. I will not send you your shirt until I get your money. Sorry, NO EXCEPTIONS. And you will all have to write a little spiel about how I am not responsible if your money gets eaten by a mail machine or other unfortunate things happen to it (can you tell my dad is a lawyer?) And please, people-- no bad checks. My life is hard enough already. Well, that's about it for now for the OMLTs. I will send further updates later this weekend. Please don't bother to contact me after today because I will be gone for several days to see my grandmommy. I'll be back Sunday at the latest. I hope to find enough time later on to post my Deep Thoughts about TMBG genre that I teased you with last night, but if not, I assure you that you will all be enlightened when I return. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 16:54:24 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Message-ID: Yeah, The End Of The Tour is so sad for me that I can't listen to it (unless I'm sad at the time). It's one of the few that gets to me like that. Jonnie Coffman (Jon Misc.) On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 expo67@webtv.net wrote: > What's the deal with Linnell's famous stare? Is there anyway I can see > it? > I was listening to The End Of The Tour a week ago and when the interp > hit me, I cried. This was everyone else's interp, but when I realized it > was real, I cried. I'm not usually sad about death (I think death is > wonderful because we go to heaven and that "life" is just punishment for > something we did in our pastlives :)), but I think the way the song goes > and how this guy has to suffer in life and can be relieved only when he > dies (wow, this sounds like the other thing in parenthesis) just makes > it sad. Anyone else get sad over this song? > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970801165610.007aa4d0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 16:56:13 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg videos At 05:01 PM 01/08/97 -0400, you wrote: >I think Flansburgh once said of TMBG videos: >We don't want to tell what is really happening or what we thought of for >this song, so we decided to put in interesting, non-related material >that the viewers would really enjoy. And it's really better that way, isn't it? I mean, how many people would prefer to see something literal in a video like Ana Ng. I.E., starting out with a shot of a globe which gets a hole shot through it with a gun, closeup on NY as the entry point, closeup on China (Vietnam, Laos, wherever) as the exit point, and so on. There's already been a song written about that subject, why make a short film that tells the same tale? Besides, TMBG material is rare in that it can directly refer to actual, concrete objects, which actually represent further abstractions that couldn't be represented visually. Therefore, making a video that is both literal and accurate from a TMBG song would be nigh impossible. And hey, you gotta love those dances the boys come up with. -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199708012314.SAA22680@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 vs 2:1 Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 18:14:37 -0500 (EST) > > Trade may not be the best word for it. But the fact is, from your point of > view, if you aren't getting more ammo for your collection, then it's not > worth it. I see it differently. I want to spread the music I love to new > people. And I refuse to do that for a profit. > No, you are ill-informed about my point of view. I have made MANY recordings for people who have had nothing to trade with me, and I have offered most of them on a 1:1 basis (plus postage). The number of requests I was getting was becoming overwhelming for me. I don't have lots of free time to make tapes for people; I work, I take classes, I teach classes, and I'm trying to work on my dissertation. Not only is it hard for me to find time for trading, it had gotten to the point where I was making probably four times as many gift tapes as I was making tapes for trade. That is, I was spending lots of time sending shows out, but no new shows were coming in. Then, I didn't have much time to do either, so I decided to concentrate on trades. I still do freebies for people on occasion, but more often I try to refer them to other traders who are willing to help, and who have more time to help than I do. I'm not sure what you mean by "ammo for my collection." My collection is not a firearm. My collection started because I like the music of TMBG. I have "spread" lots of the music, more often as a gift than in trade for new recordings. I don't know why you feel the need to make it sound like such a mercenary pursuit, but I would thank you to stop speaking for my point of view based upon inference. My point of view, incidentally, is still exactly what I stated: If I send a show and receive a show, it's a trade. If I send a show strictly out of generosity, it's a gift. I have done both. > I see it differently. I want to spread the music I love to new > people. And I refuse to do that for a profit. Does this mean that you would refuse to accept a TMBG recording in exchange for any that you send out? m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 19:24:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: TMBG: Jessica Message-ID: Hey/hay, I just thought you all should know two things. First, I've recently started going to #tmbg on EFnet and I love it! There's all sorts of cool people there. If you have the capabilities and access, definitely, definitely get on the next time you get a chance. Leave yourself some extra time- it's hard to leave once you're there. Believe me. :) Second, The Allman Bros.' version of "Jessica" is on the radio right now. I just thought you all should know. Oh yeah. I really missed being on the list. I missed you all so much! And I thought up another AKA (for those who remember the big AKA thread): John and John Go To Camp! Elitza Nicolaou The Huge Pulsating Ever-Growing Brain That Rules From The Center Of The Ultraworld can be reached at or Visit her at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ I am cool and that is it and everyone else is full of- full of- full of... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970801225816.00669f64@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:58:16 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: a great big thanks >I will have to pack and >ship all of your shirts myself... pity me. You will recieve your shirt/shirts >probably within a month of sending your check if you live in the US (no >guarantees, of course). You foreign folks will just have to wait a little >longer. I will not send you your shirt until I get your money. Sorry, NO >EXCEPTIONS. And you will all have to write a little spiel about how I am not >responsible if your money gets eaten by a mail machine or other unfortunate >things happen to it (can you tell my dad is a lawyer?) And please, people-- >no bad checks. My life is hard enough already. With all the negative fellings toward the Goddess lately, I'd just like to say a full-hearted "Thank You" to her for taking the time to get this all organized. As for the "long delay" others have mentioned, all I can say is good things come to those who wait. Goddess said she would do the job, and she has. Life is not a well-greased machine where nothing goes wrong and everything happens as planned. Besides, these shirts were initially planned as ID for listees at concerts. Seeing as how They are currently not on tour, the delay is meaningless. Am I brown-nosing for a cheaper price on my OMLT? Hmmm ... I'll get back to you on that one. :^) Thanks again, Goddess. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970801230906.0067a800@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 19:09:06 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos >And hey, you gotta love those dances the boys come up with. I think They must have been court jesters in previous lives because watching Their videos always crack me up. From the constant jerking of Linnell (TNAC, PYHITPH) to the facial expressions of Flans (Guitar, TSGMH) to the big hands of PYHITPH and the rolled up carpet hairdos in Purple Toupee. I would say 75% of the time, I watch a They video for the sheer comic/entertainment value rather than for the music. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E27E2E.7E07@cannet.com> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 20:24:14 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/6222 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos Kelley Kent wrote: > > >And hey, you gotta love those dances the boys come up with. > > I think They must have been court jesters in previous lives > because watching Their videos always crack me up. From the > constant jerking of Linnell (TNAC, PYHITPH) to the facial > expressions of Flans (Guitar, TSGMH) to the big hands of > PYHITPH and the rolled up carpet hairdos in Purple Toupee. > I would say 75% of the time, I watch a They video for the > sheer comic/entertainment value rather than for the music. > > Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell Ok, I'm a newbie to this list and all I gotta say is where the hell have you seen a They video? Certainly not on mtv.... ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E28366.9DFABED0@dnc.net> Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 17:46:30 -0700 From: yoda@dnc.net (Brandon Rieke) Subject: TMBG: particale man Last night I went to a free concert downtown with my friends. It was an alternative a capella band called the BOBS. They were great! After the intermission they did something compleaty unexpected, they did an a capella version of particle man. Their web page is at bobs.com . It has some real audio files and Wavs. If you ever have a chance to see them, do it and request particle man. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 1 Aug 97 23:41 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: a great big thanks >With all the negative fellings toward the Goddess lately, I'd just >like to say a full-hearted "Thank You" to her for taking the time >to get this all organized. I second the motion! Thank you, Christy! You're one in a kajillion! :) *cyberhugs all around* Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:11:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970802001130_684079531@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Polk! Speaking of James K Polk, I finally got a picture of myself with the James K Polk birth place sign in Pineville, NC. Its about time too since I live 15 minutes away from the place. Jake the doorman http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/7824 <--my tmbg site http://members.aol.com/mrshow/muff.html <--my muff site ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 2 Aug 97 00:18 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Jessica >I thought up another AKA (for those who remember the big AKA thread): >John and John Go To Camp! NOOOOOO!!! NOT THE AKA'S!!! *Kirsten curls into a fetal position, sobbing and clutching her head. Well, maybe it wasn't *that* bad... But not good enough to start up again, so if any of you are even *thinking* about it, drop those thoughts right now! ;) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:41:30 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Message-ID: Hmm...Impressionis Rock. Yeah! Yeah! It works! I mean, from far away, TMBG's music is just that, music, but when you look at it closely, it is so much more- it's a composit of bits and pieces of rock, country, rap, and other stuff. It works! Thanks for the new term, Christi! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "Yeah, I'm living so amazed, we could have lived our lives the same. But we chose, and now we choose- did we win or did we lose?" -Planet Earth, "Living" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-213 ******************************