Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-214 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 214 Sunday, 3 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-213 Re: TMBG: particale man Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) TMBG: Hey, "Unforgotten" gets happy! TMBG: Re: serious song's similarities (SSS) TMBG: FS Review from MTV online Re: TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated Re: TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: ".... and now on with the countdown" Re: TMBG: Freudian Interps TMBG: Indianapolis Re: TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: Jessica Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Re: TMBG: FS Review from MTV online TMBG: Netiquette Re: TMBG: Netiquette:Me Too TMBG: Window interp TMBG: tmbg abstractions Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos TMBG: The Bobs Re: TMBG: OMLT Re: TMBG: Window interp Re: TMBG: Netiquette Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 01:13:26 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos Message-ID: On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > >And hey, you gotta love those dances the boys come up with. > > I think They must have been court jesters in previous lives > Well, straight from the John's mouths, as it were, as to their crazy dances: "We had dances, which, was a big thing for me and John back then. Really retarded dance moves that were the simplest possible movements. John and I are not dancers." From the Live Wire interviews... This is why these boys are my heroes. I can't dance either, so these guys who can't made dumb dance moves for the rest of us to fake along with. I mean, the only dance moves I know are like, the Charleston, the Hora, and the Ana Ng dance. They kind of frown upon that in cotillion, though... "Hold her down, she's having a seizure!" Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "Yeah, I'm living so amazed, we could have lived our lives the same. But we chose, and now we choose- did we win or did we lose?" -Planet Earth, "Living" ------------------------------ From: Gish145@aol.com Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 02:54:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970802025407_293077614@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-213 HEY! I'm p.oed about this downloading each mailing list. I have no disk space left on my computer. I'm missing a LOT of these mailings! I want it in regular form. Why has that stopped? Just curious, Ryan Harter ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 01:15:24 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: particale man Message-ID: On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Brandon Rieke wrote: > Last night I went to a free concert downtown with my friends. It was > an alternative a capella band called the BOBS. They were great! After > the intermission they did something compleaty unexpected, they did an a > capella version of particle man. Their web page is at bobs.com . It > has some real audio files and Wavs. If you ever have a chance to see > them, do it and request particle man. Cool! They're coming to town here soon and I thought about going and wearing a They shirt to see if they'd do Particle Man. Looks like I wouldn't even need to request it!!! Woo hoo! -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 07:07:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Darlington Darling Subject: Re: TMBG: Things that came into my head (I wish they'd leave) Message-ID: On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Paul Tomlinson wrote: > Your on to something there. I don't claim to know what I'm talking > about, but Flans seems to *do* more with his voice, with the sound of > it. For example: Absolutely Bill's Mood, Chess Piece Face, Road Movie > To Berlin, If I Wasn't Shy, How Can I Sing Like a Girl...etc al. > However, Linnel's voice seems to have a certain quality to it...it is > so...words escape me (could I have some help here Christi?) Anyways, I > think Flans and Linnell are one of the best duos ever, they complement > each other very well. Agreed. Flansburgh is like that Casio keyboard at K-Mart with 50 different sounds in it. Linnell is like the high-end electronic piano with one sound, but that one sound is amazing. \\\\ (X X) []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward: joshw@tmbg.org [] Made the fakeness realistic When the [] [] Internet Tech. - Marathon Oil [] action went ballistic, One degree [] [] Homepage and tape trade list: [] shy of sadistic And the world first [] [] http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw [] spoke to me in SenSurround [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\--------------Dial-A-Sig------------/[] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 10:53:22 -0400 Message-Id: <3.0.16.19970802105010.2157cb82@mail.one.net> From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Hey, "Unforgotten" gets happy! "Unforgotten" has been a favourite song of mine, because it fits my life so well. And of course, that depresses me, being forgotten and all by the ones I love. But as I listened to it for the fourth time today, I realized that the second verse could be interpreted differently: Don't have to know What I'm thinking now Don't have to know Better days than these Don't have to know Where I've been so long Think about it. "You don't have to know what I'm thinking, because we're together." "We don't need a better day than this. This is the greatest day in my life." "The past doesn't matter, let's concentrate on now and on our future." This really cheered me up. Then the "I know you're leaving now" line stuck me again. Maybe (hopefully for me) the couple is separating, but have reconciled all of their differences before departing (as with myself going away for college). So for all of you who dislike this song, maybe you should give it another good listen. Or any song you dislike. Or any person. Anything. Everything can be better if you look at it the right way. We can all have a slice of happiness pie. ========================================================== Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://goatboy.home.ml.org/ ========================================================== ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 13:38:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: serious song's similarities (SSS) Message-ID: <19970802.135549.8678.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> While We're on the subject of sad songs... I'd like to point something out about I Blame You and They'll Need A Crane There are, as I've noticed, many similarities between the two.. I don't know if anyone else has noticed them.. but here they are: A.) Both are about lost loves 2.) Both repeat the last line of the verse before beginning the chorus: IBY: "...of what used to be What used to be I Blame you" TNAC: "...something needs a change They need a change They'll need a crane" IBY: "...Puts it back where it lay back where it lay I Blame You" TNAC: "... cause a little pain They cause him pain they'll need a crane" etc. $.)Both repeat the first line of the chorus: IBY:"I Blame You I Blame You" TNAC: "They'll Need a crane The'll need a crane To take the house..." And that's where I see the similarities end.. but that is three... Anyone else have more similarities?... not just between these.. but others to.. TIM'S NEW SIG!!!! THE SEARCH IS OVER!!! THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO HELPED!!! |------------------Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G-----------| | AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) | | "We don't especially identify with the [Power Rangers]... | |_________ Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell_______| ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 13:43:04 -0400 Subject: TMBG: FS Review from MTV online Message-ID: <19970802.135549.8678.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I dunno if this has been posted before.. but this guy really seemed to like FS... I thought it was pretty cool that I found this on Mtv online... they don't seem to like the Johns... M2 on the other hand WWOOOO HOOOO!!! ( Tim got Don't Lets Start and Birdhouse videos from M2!!! Even the Matt Pinfield intro to DLS!!! Plus his Then:TEY plug!) <<< THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - "Factory Showroom" (Elektra) They Might Be Giants are at a crossroads: continue with the jazz-funk-rock of their last LP, "JOHN HENRY," or revert to the more popular bedroom-crafted nerd-pop of their earlier work? Conondrums like that have broken lesser bands, but John Linell and John Flansburg seem to flower under pressure. "FACTORY SHOWROOM," their sixth long player, is possibly the finest collection of songs TMBG have ever produced. Rather than lift from their early catalogue, or simply ignore it like they did on their mediocre last effort, "FACTORY SHOWROOM" integrates and celebrates the two sides of They Might Be Giants. This integration is demonstrated throughout the album's 13 diverse tracks. Ranging from the blue-eyed funk of the first track and single, "S-E-X-X-Y," to the rocking cover of Cub's "New York City," to a surprisingly bluesy "Pet Name," to the bizarre "The Bells Are Ringing," the tracks show that, no matter which pop style the Johns choose to plunder, the result works. Indeed, an exploration of the various styles that make up modern pop music is certainly the mode, if not the subject, of "FACTORY SHOWROOM." As much as it deviates from the expected, "FACTORY SHOWROOM" shines because it has all the comforting elements that made past They Might Be Giants albums pleasurable: good songs, powerful pop hooks (especially on "Until My Head Falls Off"), weird instrumentation ("Metal Detector"), witty lyrics ("How Can I Sing Like A Girl?"), and plenty of pop music references. "Your Own Worst Enemy," like "LINCOLN"'S "Cage & Aquarium," cops its hook from a soft-rock classic, in this case Climax's "Precious and Few." The next song, "XTC vs. Adam Ant," stacks at least three appropriated riffs onto its geek-pop. Each track on the album contains a cool phrase, interesting progression, or other remarkable piece that will keep you coming back for more. "FACTORY SHOWROOM" aims to please and, most of the time, hits dead center. -- Justin Edelson (mtvarmint@aol.com) >>> and that's the way it is... |------------------Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G-----------| | AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) | | "We don't especially identify with the [Power Rangers]... | |_________ Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell_______| ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708021759.KAA28732@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:14:22 -0700 my bet is on... scores of angry listies! -----Original Message----- From: Larry Santiago To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 7:01 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: Reports of OMLT Goddess' death have been greatly exaggerated >So who wants to place bets on whether or not the OMLT will be completed >before a certain someone goes to Paris in two weeks? > >Larry > >"I'm lonely and I'm right." - Ben Folds >http://members.aol.com/GaritRN - All my bootlegs >=) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) >=) =) > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708021815.LAA03224@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:31:10 -0700 me too -----Original Message----- From: expo67@webtv.net To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 1:04 PM Subject: TMBG: OMLT > Hi. I'm ignorent. What is an OMLT? Is it Official Mailing list >T-shirt? If so, I would like to order one. I know some you are saying >it's to late. Well, I'm sorry, but I joined only two months ago and I >was gone all June. But, if it's to late, then I'm screwed. > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E38D89.5D4B@netins.net> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 14:42:30 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: Re: TMBG: ".... and now on with the countdown" Kelley Kent wrote: > > Wouldn't it be cool to have K.C. Cassem (sp?) play a They > song during one of "request and dedication" segments? I > think She's an Angel would be a good one for someone's > true love. Or End of the Tour or They'll Need a Crane for > a lost loved one. So anyone on here have a good story to > go with a They song that they might be willing to actually > write in? And no, this isn't something you should fake. > Anybody have a love in another country? Request Ana Ng. > > For once, I'd like to not hear Wind Beneath My Wings or a > Whitney Houston song during the segment. > > I interupted my REM sleep for this? > > Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell How exactly would one go about requesting a song? The idea just struck me, that New York City would be a good song for it. No, I won't explain why, at least, not to the entire list. I have too much time on my hands... OldFriend ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E38E44.201D@netins.net> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 14:45:46 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: Re: TMBG: Freudian Interps The Denominator wrote: > > Well, the first thing that comes to my mind would be Where Your Eyes Don't > Go, because to me it deals with the unconscious and the ID and EGO and stuff > like that... the ID is supposed to be wild and extreme and animalistic... > and would appear to be a "nightmare" to the civilized mind (the > ego+superego). And you'll never be discovering it, because it is > subconscious, and filteres through the ego.. but it is still there... > There's more there, but I am getting out of my psych major and I don't want > to get into it :) > > Also, Dinnerbell seems to be all about Pavlov's Dog (which is not Freudian > Psychology, but another realm of psychology that deals with conditioned > responses...) If you are familiar with this area (and the song) there is a > lot there to work with. > > However, if you are doing Freudian interps along the lines of Oedipus > complexes and phallic stages and the like... I guess the real test would be > to take ANY song and find that stuff. I think I Palindrome I might lend to > it, just because of the mentioning of the Mother and death (killing?) and > father and all that.. you could come up with some very confusing > psychobabble that would make the innocent song sound like the campaign > anthem for psychopathy :) That's why psychology is so fun! > > Did I mention that I'm still asleep? > > Kris > > >Because I have too much to do I'm procrastinating by writing a freudian > >interpretation of some TMBG songs. Any suggestions??? > > > >Brownie Ok, I haven't studied Frued, so I'm not sure what would qualify as a freudian interp. However, I'm working on an interp of Absolutely Bill's Mood which might go along those lines... I need to use my time more wisely, OldFriend ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199708021953.MAA23634@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 14:53:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Indianapolis Does anyone live near Indianapolis, close enough to go there for one of Thier shows. If so, e-mail me personally so I can know you for Thier next concert (I know that's a long way away, but I've never been to one and I just can't wait!!). ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970404164823.00706fe0@hax0r.org> Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 16:48:23 -0600 From: i0n Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT me three At 11:31 AM 8/2/97 -0700, you wrote: > me too > >-----Original Message----- >From: expo67@webtv.net >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 1:04 PM >Subject: TMBG: OMLT > > > >> Hi. I'm ignorent. What is an OMLT? Is it Official Mailing list >>T-shirt? If so, I would like to order one. I know some you are saying >>it's to late. Well, I'm sorry, but I joined only two months ago and I >>was gone all June. But, if it's to late, then I'm screwed. >> >> >> >> > > * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "It's a pain in the ass waiting around for someone to kill you." - Merle Corey * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E3E48E.7522@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 18:53:18 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Jessica Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > >I thought up another AKA (for those who remember the big AKA thread): > >John and John Go To Camp! > > NOOOOOO!!! NOT THE AKA'S!!! > > *Kirsten curls into a fetal position, sobbing and clutching her > head. > > Well, maybe it wasn't *that* bad... But not good enough to start > up again, so if any of you are even *thinking* about it, drop those > thoughts right now! ;) > > Kirsten Makes me feel glad that I missed it. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E3E4D0.175B@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 18:54:24 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG Queen Sneepy wrote: > > Hmm...Impressionis Rock. > > Yeah! Yeah! It works! I mean, from far away, TMBG's music is just > that, music, but when you look at it closely, it is so much more- it's a > composit of bits and pieces of rock, country, rap, and other stuff. It > works! Thanks for the new term, Christi! > > Stefanie Elliott > smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu > *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html > Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html > "Yeah, I'm living so amazed, we could have lived our lives the same. But > we chose, and now we choose- did we win or did we lose?" > -Planet Earth, "Living" I was thinking about it, too, and I think that you could also say something about Post-Cartesian Rock as well. I'll get into it more later.... Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E3E634.666F@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 19:00:20 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: FS Review from MTV online mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > I dunno if this has been posted before.. but this guy really seemed to > like FS... > I thought it was pretty cool that I found this on Mtv online... they > don't seem to like the Johns... M2 on the other hand WWOOOO HOOOO!!! ( > Tim got Don't Lets Start and Birdhouse videos from M2!!! Even the Matt > Pinfield intro to DLS!!! Plus his Then:TEY plug!) > > <<< > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - "Factory Showroom" (Elektra) > > They Might Be Giants are at a crossroads: continue with the > jazz-funk-rock of their last LP, "JOHN HENRY," or revert to the more > popular bedroom-crafted nerd-pop of their earlier work? Conondrums like > that have broken lesser bands, but John Linell and John Flansburg seem to > flower under pressure. "FACTORY SHOWROOM," their sixth long player, is > possibly the finest collection of songs TMBG have ever produced. Rather > than lift from their early catalogue, or simply ignore it like they did > on their mediocre last effort, "FACTORY SHOWROOM" integrates and > celebrates the two sides of They Might Be Giants. > > This integration is demonstrated throughout the album's 13 diverse > tracks. Ranging from the blue-eyed funk of the first track and single, > "S-E-X-X-Y," to the rocking cover of Cub's "New York City," to a > surprisingly bluesy "Pet Name," to the bizarre "The Bells Are Ringing," > the tracks show that, no matter which pop style the Johns choose to > plunder, the result works. Indeed, an exploration of the various styles > that make up modern pop music is certainly the mode, if not the subject, > of "FACTORY SHOWROOM." > > As much as it deviates from the expected, "FACTORY SHOWROOM" shines > because it has all the comforting elements that made past They Might Be > Giants albums pleasurable: good songs, powerful pop hooks (especially on > "Until My Head Falls Off"), weird instrumentation ("Metal Detector"), > witty lyrics ("How Can I Sing Like A Girl?"), and plenty of pop music > references. "Your Own Worst Enemy," like "LINCOLN"'S "Cage & Aquarium," > cops its hook from a soft-rock classic, in this case Climax's "Precious > and Few." The next song, "XTC vs. Adam Ant," stacks at least three > appropriated riffs onto its geek-pop. Each track on the album contains a > cool phrase, interesting progression, or other remarkable piece that will > keep you coming back for more. "FACTORY SHOWROOM" aims to please and, > most of the time, hits dead center. > I agree about M2.. they are to me what I remember MTV being back when "the Empire Strikes Back" was just coming out in theaters. They Unplugged? Check out the Kit Kat Acoustic Break... they do acoustic "Ana." Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 19:20:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: TMBG: Netiquette Message-ID: Hey/hay, I'm sorry. I know everything I'm about to say has been said, and posted, to this list before many times, but it apparently needs to be said again. PLEASE, folks, don't quote an entire message only to say "me too" or add a two-line comment. Especially if the original message is longer than a screen. It really isn't necessary. If you feel the need to quote, quote what is relevant to what you're commenting on. "Me too" messages really have no place on the list, and two words aren't really that importatn unless it's something like, "John's dead", in which case we really do need to know two words. Also keep in mind our digestees! We all have limited disk space, and every time we add a new subject line or a new header, it takes up room. Digests get big fast- I got in trouble at school for storing them on our server because they're so big. A guideline I try to stick to is: If you post, and have a signature file (as I, and many others, do) try to make your post at least as long as your sig. Sorry. This really has been bugging me the last few days... One more thing! Thank you, Christie! You are truly the Goddess of OMLTs and Shoes. I'm extra-glad i didn't miss out on the OMLTs while I was away. Thanks again! Elitza Nicolaou The Huge Pulsating Ever-Growing Brain That Rules From The Center Of The Ultraworld can be reached at or Visit her at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ I am cool and that is it and everyone else is full of- full of- full of... *Note* My .sig quote is from "Daria", for those of you who don't know. It's supposed to be a record skipping. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E3EEA1.5F3@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 19:36:17 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Netiquette:Me Too Sorry, couldn't resist. :^) I was going to say something a little more evil, like your example only twisted a little more, but I couldn't come up with anything close to just adding me too. Lesse... I agree with you that if you concur about a particular subject and have something other that "me too" to add, then do it. We all want to hear from you; there's no need to just say "me too." It hurts my already ailing computer (which, btw, has a cool tmbg wallpaper I'd like to save). manda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 16:42:07 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: TMBG: Window interp Message-ID: My friend Amy (who has no internet access:) came up with this interp for Window, and I liked it, so... The song could be about the Vietnam war memorial. Look at all the people in the window I'm checking out the people in the window I was uncomfortable, now I'm uncomfortable the trouble I encountered when I thought it was, it was a window It was a catalog of many women, men the window The singer is looking at the wall which is a catalog of the people who were killed in the war. He's uncomfortable thinking of all those deaths and reading the people's names...at first it may look like a big reflective slab of stone, almost like a window when you look at the reflections of the on-lookers. Once he really starts to check it out and think about it, however, he is hit by the fact that these are the names of real people who lost their lives, and suddenly he doesn't feel so comfortable. Has this one been suggested before? -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E3F187.7C9F@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 19:48:39 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: TMBG: tmbg abstractions I agree with Christi and everything she said in the Impressionist letter she wrote (I also think she should publish it, but that's another story). I was thinking back to my evil Art class from last semester, andm while reading Christi's peice and recalling the Impressionist and abstract movement, it got me thinking. Technically, we're all "post-cartesian" thinkers (no one told me til May). What that means is that we believe (or some part of us does) that everything's been done, etc (like that dumb commercial says), so we slap little bits of everything together. Thinking of it that way, They Might Be Giants could also be classified as Post-Modern. Here's why I think so: start with the band's name. Itself is a reference to a movie. Also, "mass culture references" abound in 99.9% of Their songs. I think that the Impressionist thing is a lot more right on than my theory, but they link together nicely (the Impresstionists were the forerunners to Post-Modern boys like Pablo "I like Cubes" Picasso). But, as They say, "every little thing's a domino that falls on different dots." that's what I was thinking, anyway. Manda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970803000651.006760a4@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 20:06:51 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg videos ><< and the rolled up carpet hairdos in Purple Toupee. >> > >I believe they wear rolled up carpets in Dont Lets Start Ooops, you're right. Just goes to show that I haven't seen a They video in quite some time. Let me go rectify that right now ....... :^) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970802171203.006f9820@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 17:40:40 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: The Bobs > >Ok, I'm a newbie to this list and all I gotta say is where the hell have >you seen a They video? Certainly not on mtv.... No, you are quite correct. MTV has this thing where they refuse to play TMBG videos... they do it purely to spite us. :) Fortunately for you, loyal fans have stepped in to fill the void. The Video Compilation, which has pre-Elektra videos only (6 of them), is still floating around. If the Info Club doesn't carry it (and last time I checked, they didn't), try asking your local video store if they'll special-order it. Alternately, you can pester Russ Josephson (russj@btc.adaptec.com) for a copy of his Video Bootlegs I and II, $6.50 each and that covers postage, too. (Russ is not-for-profit.) > Last night I went to a free concert downtown with my friends. It was >an alternative a capella band called the BOBS. They were great! After >the intermission they did something compleaty unexpected, they did an a >capella version of particle man. Their web page is at bobs.com . It >has some real audio files and Wavs. If you ever have a chance to see >them, do it and request particle man. Aiee! Weird coincidence. I just picked up that particular Bobs album today, and was listening to their cover of Particle Man as I read your message. I'll second his nomination--their version of Particle Man is on "Cover The Songs Of..." (which is NOT "Sing The Songs Of..."), and it's quite good. In the liner notes they have this to say: "The Bobs sing like a vocal calliope in a song that is part video game, and part scientific explanation." The rest of the album stacks up nicely, too; their cover of Strawberry Fields Forever alone is almost worth the purchase price. --nicole the wonder nerd gives a hug and a thank you to Christy! :) *** "Simulaneous events don't happen. We are isolated temporally."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Finger me for PGP key! carlsonn@cs.ucdavis.edu ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:08:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Elizabeth Esswein Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT Message-ID: Hello. I am new to this list (just joined the other day) and I have seen a lot of talk about these OMLTs. I feel like I am butting into somebody's conversation, and I don't want to be the new person who says something stupid, but what is an OMLT? A T-shirt? Can I get one? Elizabeth ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 23:15:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Window interp Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Aug-97 TMBG: Window interp by "'Lani' N Olson"@u.washi > Look at all the people in the window > I'm checking out the people in the window > I was uncomfortable, now I'm uncomfortable > the trouble I encountered when I thought it was, it was a window > It was a catalog of many women, men > the window I'm not sure anyone has mentioned that as a possibility... I tend to think it's about us on the mailing list and newsgroup - the Window. Not a glass window, people... a window with a maximize, minimize, and close button... (or whatever) and it is, for the most part true - John Linnell said he occasionally peeks at the newsgroup, but feels weird about doing so because he doesn't really want to hear what we're saying (and it's a good thing, too, because there are some people there who would really anger him...) so it makes him uncomfortable... it's definitely a catalog of many women and men (hmmm... perhaps a reference to an older song?) or we could just go with the interpretation he gave at the Irving Plaza John Henry show in October, 1994: "Here comes a song about a window." ------------------------------ From: Dekadetia@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 01:54:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970803015413_-1638995332@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Netiquette i agree ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-214 ******************************