Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-216 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 216 Tuesday, 5 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: hostile takeover TMBG: um..yea, hostile takeover stuff TMBG: Flyers and tapes. TMBG: a long message of uh, replies.. :) TMBG: more replying.. :) TMBG: non-tmbg:canucks (was a long message of uh, replies.. :) Re: TMBG: particale man Re: TMBG: particale man TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-213 Re: TMBG: Netiquette TMBG: Re: um..yea, hostile takeover stuff Re: TMBG: tmbg abstractions Re: TMBG: The Bobs Re: TMBG: particale man TMBG: TMBG tabs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 TMBG: tmbg categorization TMBG: Re: TMBG Video bootleg, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. TMBG: This whole OMLT stuff Re: TMBG: tmbg categorization Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? NON-TMBG: Converse Re: TMBG: Space Ghost TMBG:Nick TMBG: What Happened to Superfueled Freaksicle? Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 TMBG: NoVa Get Together Re: TMBG: Space Ghost TMBG: TIME FOR A NEW OMLT!!!!??? Re: Re: TMBG: a long message of uh, replies.. :) TMBG: Re:sereous songs Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: Space Ghost Re: TMBG: TIME FOR A NEW OMLT!!!!??? TMBG: People griping about projects... TMBG: Re: Window interp Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 02:21:37 -0400 Subject: TMBG: hostile takeover Message-ID: <19970804.022907.3742.2.stephsharer@juno.com> From: stephsharer@juno.com (Stephanie E Sharer) hello well, i was on hand to witness the hostile takeover of #tmbg on irc last night (actually, it was about an hour ago, but by the time you get this in the digest it will have been last night). it was quite exciting, actually. lets hope that i will not be banned from #tmbg tomorrow! <> WHAT?!?!? i get much music and i live in Virginia!!! AND I DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT THIS BACK 2 BACK SHOWING OF TMBG VIDEO'S!! I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN A TMBG VIDEO ON TV (besides tiny toons)IN MY WHOLE 15 YEARS OF LIVING. that makes me mad there's my $.03 cents:) ~Stephanie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970804063817.0070a298@fyi.net> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 02:38:17 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: um..yea, hostile takeover stuff *yawn* for you IRCers out there don't worry... A couple interesting people decided to takeover for the evening...I am sure things will be normal by the morning... Josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:40:37 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: Flyers and tapes. To all those that requested TMBG flyers and tapes, you should be receiving those very soon. Please let me know when you get them. Regards, Peter. ************************************************************************ THE CHIPS ARE READY: Pete on drums & vox, Craig on guitar, Stu on bass, James on keyboards, Scott on box. Rocking into your ass and cunt soon! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 07:13:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804071345_164149400@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: a long message of uh, replies.. :) >Did they make a TMBG key chain, that had the >shape of the key with the teeth being the >letters TMBG? I have a TMBG keychain on my bookbag -- not one of those *official* ones.. just big letter beads spelling out *TMBG*. One time the knot came out for no reason, and I had to crawl around the english classroom floor looking for mah' beads. :) >>by the way-does anyone know where i can get a >tmbg poster? Dig in the poster bins of your local new + used (or supercool) cd stores. I got a Moxy Fruvous poster the other day. 8) >o if anyone (ideally in the Atlanta area) has >the phone number too the Cartoon Network handy >and feels like giving them a call to find out >when Flans' episode will air I missed the first couple episodes of the new season. I just saw Beck's episode, LOL! "Space Ghost's" email address is sgc2c@aol.com.;) Maybe "he" can tell us. >I got some of those nigty t-shirt transfers for >my printer and make as many ORIGINAL TMBG > shirts and I can stand (read "afford to print") >! It's great! Hee hee, I did that too.;) I took that gorgeous pic of our Johns in suits and put it on a t-shirt. I wore it to the show I went to and the guy running the TMBG t-shirt and hat stand wsas like "where'd you get that?" Hee hee.. I also made one for my 7 year old [fellow TMBG freak ] sis that's just the top half of that pic and under it, in a kiddie-font: "they might be giants".:):) > B) blur's "Song 2" is by no means their first >ultra-catchy tune. "Girls who are boys who like girls to be boys who are girls who do boys like their girls to do boys.." I've been kinda wanting to get that cd for 3 years.. >>Most blur fans feel about this album the way >>giant-heads feel about Flood, ie it's a good >>album, and possibly blur's best, but no true >> blur fan can *stand* anyone who only knows >blur >from "Girls & Boys". *Gasp* Ohmigod; I'm... a ..."Parkie"? :0 ;) >I don't think I've posted before, but I just >wanted to say that I agree that TMBG does >appeal to people who appreciate unconventional > music. In addition to TMBG, I listen to Nine >Inch Nails amd Marilyn Manson (but They are my >favorite). IMHO, NIN are so so, and I don't like MM (please don't let's start anothr MM thread again! I'm just stating an opinion..); but that's what makes us TMBGers so durn cool... We're so uniquely milar that it's frightening; yet we're each so original... ::group hug here:: ;) But on the subject of 'unconventional' music -- oh gosh yeah. and Canuck rock. :) it's pretty unconventional in the states. oooh.. a new alternative to 'alternative'! "What music do you listen to?" "Me? Unconventional." :) Hah hah! Excellent! >I's say They are in a class by themselves. Most of the bands I like are... And they're not really like each other, but they're constantly being compared (along with tmbg; the other 2 usually are Barenaked Ladies and Moxy Fruvous). [the] Odds are one of my extreme faves, but they could have a lot more 'airplay-potential'. But; canadians+talent= slim fame in the states. :P Stereolab is wonderful and quite.. their own.:) Another original one-- Sonic Youth. Re: anti-2:1 trading: >I know that there are others on the list who >feel the same way, including one who helped me >get my collection started. I was just going to say "me too!" and I realized that one person is me . Yeah, I think it's a little dumb too. I've been feeling though that I'm losing out because here I am, nice just dubbing things for people on the tapes they send, but having to send someone else 2 tapes for 1.... The misfortunes of being nice... (btw, yes, I will happily copy for newbies. :)) Oh, hey! I never subscribed to Hello (I don't have endless vaults or cash, sadly), but I was reeeeeally bored at the mall the other day, so I dialed 1-800-HELLO-41. (if it was a human that answered, I did actually have a Hello question; I'm not *that* stupid )... Only to get a message that the number has been changed.. it was some 9?? area code.. I didn't have a pen or anything and couldn't remember all the digits; and it wasn't another 1-800 # anyways. Does this mean Hello is officially kaput? But why would they *change* the #?? sarah http://lava.home.ml.org "I don't love you you don't love me. Ah hah. Da da da.." - Trio ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 07:22:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804072250_379767360@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: more replying.. :) I don't know how long of a message will make it, so I'm splitting these up . >and I would like to suggest a web page for >anyone brave enough (or with enough spare time) >to maintain it - a list of bootleg traders who >trade 1:1 for blanks. or perhaps the maintainers >of the tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org page would like >to place fields in the table to identify those >traders who trade 1:1 for blanks. I'd like to be added to this page. I don't trade as much as I copy... (I don't always have the $/tapes/time/effort to trade; but can almost always copy), so.. >I figured this was good for both parties. The >newbie gets a bootleg, and the trader gets a >tape to trade with others. But see, that's still an extra tape.. regardless of whether they use it for trading, maybe get another concert with it...it's a profit for no reason other than the effort of flipping the tape and dropping it in the mail; which is technically an illegal profit. >There is so much TMBG stuff out there that I got >discouraged, and now I am ending my quest to >own everything TMBG. I will just enjoy what I > have, and settle for being less a fan than >everyone else. The thing that really got me: 60 >BOOTLEGS!!! WOW! What a collection! You are > truly the master, and I also worship you >because you trade 1:1. I don't know who this was directed to, but anyways. I have, an awful lot of tapes.. And I've only been trading since late august '96. Just short of a year. You guys can do it too.:) (I remember who helped me get started -- Vixsully and Adam NitpickR in exchange for BNL tapes!:)) >If i don't get a tape, and i pay between $1 ans >$3 for > poastage, i come out behind. Ah. The answer to our confusion. when I copy things for people who send me their tapes, I have them supply postage (both ways). when I trade, (1:1 or whatever evenly) we each do the postage. I can see how someone may send you 2 tapes for one concert, and you provide the shipping in lieu of the extra tape. Okay. That's probably not *totally* even every single time, but I can definitely see that. However, there are people that will ask 2 for 1, and still tell you to supply the shipping. These are the...'criminals'.:) >or sending me two blank tapes (I keep one and >pay the return postage for the other). Guess >what - almost without exception, people have >chosen the latter option! I find it easier if they send me postage only because you can't buy stamps with blank tapes.:) I don't think the disgruntled employees would be too pleased.;) ($ isn't easy to come by when you're 15 and jobless. Hm. That sounds like a song.) Plus you have to go out and get stamps, which is a royal pain. >Well, most people I've found ask you to send >return postage with your blank... that way, >they're not gaining anything. Not even an extra >blank tape. Then again, I've just gotten >started, and maybe that's wrong... Nothing wrong with that!:) > I also think that it *should* be totally up to >the band. If the band doesn't mind, we should >be allowed to tape and trade whatever shows we > want... They should let us bring tape recorders >into clubs without a problem... Unfortunately, >it doesn't work that way. : Most often, it's the venue that has the rules about what's allowed in the grounds (probably for protection of the bands and all legal tape -- in other words -- the venues saving everyone's respective asses.) And the managers will stick to this like Linnell to his coffee maker. So don't even ask them, because they'll keep an eye on you throughout the show and see you taping it anyways and really getcha. I know I've read interviews from several bands (I swear one was TMBG) that say something like use common sense and judgement, you know? as long as there's no profit gained from the trading, "go ahead". >he best thing you can do is only trade with >people who give information about the quality of >their tapes. My list grades the tapes, and each >concert also has a couple sentences describing > the quality in more detail. Just trade smart >and you'll be a lot less likely to be burned.. I agree on this. I may sound like a hypocrite since I don't grade my tapes though. I just can't. Everyone's standards are different... I can get 2 shows both proclaiming to be "b" when one I'd consider an "a" and the other a "c-." However I will make a point of telling a person who wants a particular tape if it happens to be cd-quality or you-need-the-volume-up-all-the-way-and-it's-kinda-crappy quality. I don't hesitate to inform. >Maybe we should all join forces... collectively >we prolly have mountains of the darn things, >enough to redeem for whatever we want. (How >'bout a TMBG Lear Jet? :) Let's see.. we'll pool together all our MAX points, Pepsi points (that eevil new catologue pisses me off. I wanted that Pepsi sweatshirt in the '96 one. :P), and even our Betty Crocker points. I'm positive Leffel has stacks of the latter in his basement.;) There's just something about him that screams out "Betty Crocker!" or maybe it's just him shouting. ANYways. >I thought up another AKA (for those who remember >the big AKA thread): ::bighappysigh:: I still have a folder somewhere in my computer entitled "TMBG cards" that I plan on finishing.... someday... when I'm amazingly bored.. > I think I may have a good picture somewhere of >Grahm. If I can weasle my way to a scanner, >I'll send it the listies way. Who wants a picture of Graham (if this is Maby we're talking about-- I think I missed the original)? I've got a 'supafly' one of him.. actually a couple. Whoever wants some Graham pics just.. email me.. >32" TV It shakes my house! I watch the Video >Compilation every day, Hee hee, we got our 32"er several months back, and I did the same exact thing.;) I'm finally passing my closed captioning phase.. >Hey Listies, I'm back from Beyond The List to >ask a small favor: If you or someone you know >has a copy of the February 14, Irving Plaza show >(the Valentine's Day New Song Massacre) please >email me and let me know. I'd appreciate it >greatly. Thanks a lot. I was supposed to get this tape the same way Evan was; from Cortney. Back in late february. Along with a tape of the 21st. *and* I had sent my tapes. Cortney, are you out there anywhere??? re: tmbg on Jenny McCrappy Could these people be getting them mixed up with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones? there's the "might"; they're both from around the Boston area; and Dickie could look like Flans in a glance (refer back to the MMB/TMBG VV commercials). I just can't imagine none of us knowing if they were on it.. >My friend Amy (who has no internet access:) came >up with this interp for Window, and I liked it, >so... The song could be about the Vietnam war >memorial. Well on that AOL chat, Linny said his favourite hobby was staring out his window. Pretty simplistic.:) >two words aren't really that importatn unless >it's something like, "John's dead", in which >case we really do need to know two words. It's Paul.;) or.. which John?;) Ah, 7 am. bedtime for this insomniac!:) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org "I'm so full of ideas." - Stereolab ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970804073238.006c6cc8@email.uc.edu> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 07:35:39 -0400 From: "Heather L. Garver" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:canucks (was a long message of uh, replies.. :) At 07:13 AM 8/4/97 -0400, you wrote: >we're each so original... ::group hug here:: ;) But on the subject of >'unconventional' music -- oh gosh yeah. and Canuck rock. :) OK, this has really nothing to do with They, but what exactly is a Canuck? I've been wondering for a while, being a hockey fan, I kinda wondered where Vancouver got their nickname. Any Canadians on the list willing to fill me in? Heather Garver--------------------------------------garverhl@email.uc.edu ---http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey HQ)--- In the beginning, there was nothing And God said "Let there be light" And there was still nothing. But you could see it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:41:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Elizabeth Esswein Subject: Re: TMBG: particale man Message-ID: > Did you ever think it possible that perhaps the line is a play on words? > -not 'Pros only' but 'prose only' That's what I assumed it was for a long time, before I actually saw a copy of the lyrics. Elizabeth ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:19:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804091928_-1004218831@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: particale man In a message dated 97-08-04 08:46:59 EDT, you write: << not 'Pros only' but 'prose only' That's what I assumed it was for a long time, before I actually saw a copy of the lyrics. Elizabeth >> Can we all really rely on the lyric sheets? Were they hand scribed by John himself? Do people make mistakes. Note also that by ommiting a single letter, Prose becomes Pros. odd. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ * --------------------------------------------- "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" - Arthur "You, ask a glass of water." - Ford ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Pletikapich, John (OH35)" Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-213 Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 06:26:28 -0700 Mr Show wrote: >Speaking of James K Polk, I finally got a picture of myself with the James K >Polk birth place sign in Pineville, NC. Its about time too since I live 15 >minutes away from the place. That's interesting. I was checking out a map of Tennessee for a possible camping trip, and I saw a "Point of Interest" near Columbia, Tennessee listed as "Home of James K. Polk". I guess it's not his birthplace then. -- john ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E60B08.6803@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:02:00 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Netiquette Elitza wrote: [Netiquette verbage (that I totally agree on) snipped] > have no place on the list, and two words aren't really that importatn > unless it's something like, "John's dead", in which case we really do need > to know two words. Um... maybe three words would be better in that case But I very much agree with what was originally written. It makes for a much smoother ride through all the email because some people put their addition before the quoting, some in the middle, and some after it gets really old scrolling up then down then back up again. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | You'll never fly as the crow flies... get used Software Artistry | to a country mile -- Emily Saliers -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:08:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: TMBG: Re: um..yea, hostile takeover stuff Message-ID: On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Josh wrote: > *yawn* for you IRCers out there don't worry... A couple interesting people > decided to takeover for the evening...I am sure things will be normal by the > morning... As of 11:09 EDT, things are still officially abnormal. Lincoln is gone, and the lamers are still kicking right and left while calling everyone gay. Oh joy. Anyway, we are gathered in #TMBGtrivia for the nonce until someone comes in to do some regulatin'. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E60E70.5BA6@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:16:32 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg abstractions Amanda Nichols wrote: > > Here's why I think so: start with the band's name. Itself is a > reference to a movie. Also, "mass culture references" abound in 99.9% of > Their songs. I think that the Impressionist thing is a lot more right on > than my theory, but they link together nicely (the Impresstionists were > the forerunners to Post-Modern boys like Pablo "I like Cubes" Picasso). > But, as They say, "every little thing's a domino that falls on different > dots." Hmmm... I like to think that when there are "mass culture references" that means that the band is intelligent and aware of what is currently going on in the world. They is what I'd call intelligent music. Most bands you can't think up a zillion interps for a song because the song is obvious and has no undertones or anything. They aren't huge rockstars that can travel from stadium to stadium oblivious to the world, believing the world should cater them. Instead, They pay attention and participate in what makes the rest of us tick. That is why I love intelligent music so much. Moxy Fruvous had talked about the Simpsons two out of the three times I saw them in the last 4 days. It makes the band "real" and not just idols up on the stage. It also makes their music more "real" to me. - Chad ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E61147.2CC8@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:28:39 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: The Bobs SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: > Weeeeell..........this ain't completely true. While MTV only RARELY plays > TMBG, the fact remains that the 1st time I ever saw a TMBG video was on MTV's > 120 min, when They hosted it, like, 3 or so years ago. It was Put Your Hand > Inside the Puppet Head. And a friend of mine taped Birdhouse off of 120 min > as well a few months later or something. We gotta give MTV some > credit........but not much though. Yeah... I used to watch MTV for hours waiting for the Puppethead video to be on... that was before Lincoln though... and I was a junior high schooler. What better thing was there than watching MTV until TMBG came on except maybe trudging down muddy creeks with my bud Andy... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | You'll never fly as the crow flies... get used Software Artistry | to a country mile -- Emily Saliers -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:35:24 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: particale man Message-ID: On Mon, 4 Aug 1997 YeahSpoon@aol.com wrote: > << not 'Pros only' but 'prose only' > > That's what I assumed it was for a long time, before I actually saw a copy > of the lyrics. > Can we all really rely on the lyric sheets? Were they hand scribed by John > himself? Do people make mistakes. Note also that by ommiting a single > letter, Prose becomes Pros. odd. I'm sure it's supposed to be spelled 'pros.' That's sort of what makes it word play... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ TMBG, chickens, Washington State Listies, They Might be Food, and more! _______________________________________________________________ There's a place for those who love their poetry It's just across from the sign that says, 'Pros only' -They Might Be Giants --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708041745.MAA06029@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: TMBG tabs Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:34:49 -0500 I looked on OLGA but can't find very many tabs, lots of chords but no tans, so if someone has a site with them on it or knows where to find them please tell me. Blink aka Trillian depending upon who she feels like being today ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199708041743.KAA20016@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:43:49 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 Does anyone know what kind of shoes Linny wears? I noticed his shoes a couple of times and I thought they were cool. ------------------------------ From: "khinkle" Subject: TMBG: tmbg categorization Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 21:00:08 -0500 Message-Id: <18241355104395@eosinc.com> okokok!!!!enough about this.am i the only one tired of hearing ppl try to stuff labels onto EVERYTHING? (at this point the author would yell someething like"down with labels and those who place them,but then id just be labeling the labelers,even labeling the LABELS as labels...or something...now im confused...)even tmbg.some of the best things in life are undescribable,un-labelable----it makes them special.dont place a tag on that which you love andrea soul-D ---------- > From: Christi587@aol.com > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Life, the universe, and TMBG > Date: Friday, August 01, 1997 12:16 AM > > Listees ignore this part: Hi Ashley and Jon. I wrote this for the TMBG > mailing list. I thought you might care. > > There has been a lot of recurring debate about what genre TMBG fits into, > especially lately. This question brings itself up and extinguishes itself > from time to time without anyone ever coming up with a satisfying answer. > People yell at each other over genre definitions and whether or not the > question is even valid for a little while, various people offer painfully > hyphenated solutions like "rock-pop-metal-country-artsy-jazz-alternative", > but nobody can ever think of something that really, elegantly encompasses all > of TMBG's work. This will not do. We are human beings who are obsessed with > catagorizing and labeling everything around us. (I got a 5 on the AP Psych > exam, so don't mess with me!) Even though some of you may claim not to care > where TMBG fits, I *know* there is that little part of your brain that nags > at you, "Hey, buddy! Where the hell do I file these guys?" So I guess my > unconcious mind has been at work on this question for some time now (w/o my > permission, of course... I wish it had been spending its time on solving > something important, like the federal defecit or the ozone layer, but I guess > that would have taken a lot longer). The answer came to me in the shower, as > these things generally do. > > TMBG plays Impressionist Rock. > > Yeah, so I made it up. Well, there sure as hell don't fit anywhere > pre-existing, so why not? Here's by somewhat garbled rationale for this > title. > > I'm sure you are all familiar with the French Impressionist movement of late > last century... Monet, Degas, Renoir, etc. They used light and nature as the > focus of their paintings, but that is not important. What *is* important is > that the overall effect of the painting was more important to them than the > details contained in it. While everyone else was slaving over the small > stuff, they used thick brushstrokes and large patches of sometimes > incongruous colors to create an overall effect. It is also worth noting that, > at the time, their paintings were ridiculed by critics and misunderstood by > pretty much everyone else, except for a few people who evidently recognized > that perhaps in this case different was better. But I think I'm getting ahead > of myself. > > The Impressionist movement also affected music. The only Impressionist > composer I know of is Debussy, but I'm sure there are others somewhere. > Anyway, if you listen to some of Debussy's work (particularly Les Nuages or > La Mer... yikes!), you'll notice the approach to the art is similar to the > one taken by Impressionist painters: any individual chunk (I am sure there is > a real word for that) of music may not seem to have any particular point or > be descriptive of anything. But listen for a few minutes and you'll hear it > crop up again somewhere. Eventually, you begin to feel the overall effect of > the work. You can actually see those damn Nuages after a while. Again, the > whole of the work is more important than its individual parts. It is hard to > explain this in writing without sounding very pompous, so I suggest you > listen for yourself. (Actually, I think Phillip Glass is like this in some > ways, also, except that Debussy is cool whereas Phillip Glass sucks... but > that is neither here nor there.) > > Finally, I would like to call upon the memory of anyone who has seen that > Fantasia movie, wherein Disney tries to get us to believe that watching > hippos in tutus is somehow conducive to music appreciation. But I digress. At > some point in the film, the altogether too self-important narrator points out > in a rare moment of insight that there are three types of classical music in > terms of imagery. One type creates random imagery without any real coherence > (I think the example they use in the film is Beethoven's 9th). Another type > tells a definite story of some kind (this would be, say, the Nutcracker). And > there is one kind in the middle, which presents some kind of storyline > without providing any specific imagery or details (this would be like > Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony). Of course, it is many years since I saw this > film and I may be remembering this wrong. But these are all the facts that > somehow got tumbled together in my head as I tapped it to get the shampoo > suds out of my ear. > > It occured to me that TMBG seem to fit all of these catagories nicely. They, > whether they intend to be or not, are Impressionists. No matter what song I > applied this to, aside from the straight educational songs, it seemed that > almost every one presented the outline or shell of a storyline which is left > to you to untangle. Not many details are provided. The specific imagery is > really up to you. Any particular line from a song may not seem to make much > sense if analyzed alone at face value, but together the lines build the > framework of a storyline. Think of Lie Still Little Bottle. Think of She's > Actual Size. Think of The Day, or Subliminal, or Don't Let's Start, or > Particle Man. They all fit. Think of Ana Ng, fer gosh sakes!!! > > Ana Ng: Generally accepted to be a story about someone on the other side of > the world. The singer seems to be lamenting the fact that they are not > together. Why? Are they lovers, pen pals? Foreign dignitaries (hey, it could > happen)? Or is Ana an abstract concept? Does the singer feel that there is > someone "out there" in the world that he is destined to meet, but just keeps > missing? Or were these near-misses actual encounters with a real person? We > just don't know. The outline of the story is there, but we have to create our > own details. > > Try it with Particle Man: Seems to be about a particle, a universe, and a > triangle with a mean streak. What does Triangle Man represent? What does he > have against particles and people? Is this a metaphor for quantum mechanics, > evolution, or possibly wrestling, as various people have suggested? Nobody > knows (Particle Man... sorry, couldn't help it). Again, the story is just a > shell. > > Or Pencil Rain: I think this one works especially well. Evidentally, there is > some kind of battle going on against... pencils. This is that big splotch of > green on Madame Monet's face: If you look at it too closely, it seems to make > very little sense. But I know that whenever I sit down to take a scantron > test, all I can think of as I survey all the little ovals is "look out for > Number Two" and "the thunderous clamor of splintering wood." So is "perishing > in the pencil rain" some kind of metaphor? Well, maybe. The Johns ain't > tellin'. The story is there, but the details are up to you. > > And what does TMBG have to say about their rock videos? That they prefer not > to follow the storyline of the song exactly in the video because "everyone > has their own imagery" of a song which they don't want to destroy. > > I think all of these things point very strongly to the Impressionist themes > I've been hitting you over the head with. So whether you happen to think that > the Johns can be catagorized or not, I hope you will at least admit that > Impressionist Rock is a pretty darn good starting point. (Because if you do, > maybe someday I can get you to realize that *I am always right*) > > --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E62A17.E07@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 13:14:31 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Video bootleg, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. JOda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > >Alternately, you can pester Russ Josephson > >(russj@btc.adaptec.com) for a copy of his Video Bootlegs I and II, $6.50 > >each and that covers postage, too. (Russ is not-for-profit.) > > Hmm... what exactly does one have to do to go about getting the above? > And what is the actual content of each of the videos? > Hello TMBG listers! It's been a while since I posted this, so I'll answer for everyone. To keep it simple, I'm not asking for tapes in trade, just the cash to pay my expenses. See the attached files, or check out my web page for latest information. Vol. 3 will be coming...eventually, along with a Joe Jackson (Graham Mayby's old employer) Video bootleg. non-tmbg warning: (JJ is planning a new release 09/02 called "Heaven & Hell", based on the "7 deadly sins".) Thanks for your patience (there's hardly _any_ HTML, really!), Russ -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 218-0208 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LePoopee@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:23:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804152137_-389513031@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: This whole OMLT stuff I've tried to ignore it. I've tried to put all the messages in the back of my mind and bury them in my Regression section, along with the regressed memory of Matt Pinfield in a shower (from the shoulder up, and now I need a cold shower). But I couldn't do it. So, now I try to put my mind at ease by saying... ENOUGH ALREADY!!! I mean, I know many of you want to get an Official Mailing List T-Shirt, and showed up too late. Deal with it. I'm tired of reading messages saying, "ooh, where can I get one?" and "Please, I'd like one!" How many times does this Goddess person have to say, "No! Too late!" Besides, with a quality printer and someone who knows how to use it, you can make your own. I myself have a Canon Creative thing where you can make t-shirts yourself. Follow the instructions, get an old plain white t-shirt, and viola! You got youself a shirt. Another thing I'd like to say: There would probably be another opportunity to get an OMLT. I don't honestly think anyone who's responsible in this whole fiasco (Bob? Bill? Bert?) is going to stop making t-shirts at no cost to them because they don't feel like it. Patience! And, in the meantime, keep yelling out "List!" Even though it causes people to back away, at least it gives you a little breathing room. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) "I remember my Dad wore pants...it must have been Thanksgiving."--Dave Attel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970804193220.0068e938@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 15:32:20 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg categorization First, just a 'friendly' reminder that when responding to LONG messages, there's no need to include the entire message. Just sniplets work wonders! >okokok!!!!enough about this.am i the only one tired of >hearing ppl try to stuff labels onto EVERYTHING? Maybe, but I enjoy this thread none-the-less. I think it's pretty interesting to hear how people classify TMBG. Besides, some of the best 'conversation' has been brought up with this thread. >some of the best things in life are undescribable, >un-labelable----it makes them special. TMBG is special NOT because it is often hard to categorize them but because, quite simply, they rock! Cool music with lyrics that can have several interpretations and a great personality in its founding members. But that is an EXTREME over-simplification. :^) And before I start preaching too long, let me just say that before you bash a thread on the list, stop and think: when was the last time YOU contributed something worthwhile. Threads that refuse to die often survive for good reasons. Forgive me, as I tend to ramble when I think I'm right. :) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted." - John Linnell ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:50:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804164854_-456557295@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 In a message dated 97-08-04 13:47:03 EDT, expo67@webtv.net writes: << Does anyone know what kind of shoes Linny wears? I noticed his shoes a couple of times and I thought they were cool. >> I've seen him wear green Converse high-tops. Not forest-green, regular green. I have been searching for them forever. AnnA who can't believe that she is actually pathetic enough to be able to answer that question off the top of her head. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E64BB9.60DA@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 14:38:01 -0700 From: Flyn Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 97-08-04 13:47:03 EDT, expo67@webtv.net writes: > > << Does anyone know what kind of shoes Linny wears? I noticed his shoes a > couple of times and I thought they were cool. > >> > I've seen him wear green Converse high-tops. Not forest-green, regular green. > I have been searching for them forever. tell me about it, I've been looking for a pair of kelly green all-stars for a couple years now, and I didn't even know he had some. I think I've seen both of them wear converse one-stars, and possibly dr. J's, always black. Nice to see them supporting shoes made in america. > AnnA > who can't believe that she is actually pathetic enough to be able to answer > that question off the top of her head. Hey, don't feel bad, Kelly Green All-Stars are something to take note of. But then, I'm probably not the best judge of that, as I generally take note of *any* colored all-stars. -Flyn ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 17:09 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 >I've seen him wear green Converse high-tops. Not forest-green, regular green. >I have been searching for them forever. Okay, this is a little off subject, but doesn anyone know where you can get Converse sneakers anymore? I used to see them at the mall and all over, but now i can't find them anywhere! I had to settle for pseudo-Converse deck shoes from L.L. Bean. :P Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 19:13:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Message-ID: <19970804.191334.16246.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Wow, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Why Must I Be Sad yet. That is perhaps one of Their most serious songs! It is apparantly about a boy who commits suicide because of the lyrics in an Alice Cooper song. Or am I way off? -Evan R. Kleve ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:27:10 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Message-ID: That's what a lot of the interps say on tmbg.org I tend to agree with them, but when I first heard the song I thought it was about a guy who had lost a girlfriend. 'Ask me now, I understand the words that Alice said' I took that line to mean that his ex had told him something he was doing wrong, but he didn't understand what she was talking about till it was too late. I think I've gotten a little off the topic of your post, but I will now say that I agree that it is one of their most serious songs based on the boy-commits-suicide-b/c-of-Alice-Cooper-lyrics. Matbe that song is trying to tell something, like think for yourself and don't fall in with the wrong crowd. I think this post is getting a little long so thank you for listening and ciao for now. :) Jonnie Coffman ,/ () |\| /\/\ | $ (. On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > Wow, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Why Must I Be Sad yet. That is > perhaps one of Their most serious songs! It is apparantly about a boy who > commits suicide because of the lyrics in an Alice Cooper song. Or am I > way off? > > -Evan R. Kleve > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E66947.3B3E@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 16:44:07 -0700 From: Flyn Subject: NON-TMBG: Converse Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > >I've seen him wear green Converse high-tops. Not forest-green, regular green. > >I have been searching for them forever. > > Okay, this is a little off subject, but doesn anyone know where > you can get Converse sneakers anymore? I used to see them at the mall and > all over, but now i can't find them anywhere! I had to settle for > pseudo-Converse deck shoes from L.L. Bean. :P If you don't mind paying $33 plus $7 s&h, you can get them from http://www.converseshoes.com/ If you're in Seattle, you can get them for $25.88 everyday at Chubby n Tubby. If you'd like some wierd mutant converse, you can check http://www.converse.com/html/faq2.html to see if there are any factory outlets near you. If none of these appeal to you, and you don't mind talking to people, you can call Converse's number for this sort of thing, (800)428-2667, and they'll tell you where you can find a pair of those oh so wonderful Chucks. They just came out with new colors, including the previously hard to find Purple. I knew this info would come in handy one day. -Flyn > Kirsten > -- > "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, > with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ > Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E694C3.1991@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 19:49:39 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost > I missed the first couple episodes of the new season. I just saw Beck's > episode, LOL! "Space Ghost's" email address is sgc2c@aol.com.;) Maybe "he" > can tell us. You only missed the first episode of SGC2C. It wasn't Flans. ALso, check out Cartoon Planet. I'm a big Brak fan, myself. ('sides, you hardcore tmbg kids know the theme song is "No One Knows My Plan.") Amanda ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG:Nick Message-ID: <19970804.194245.4655.3.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 19:53:38 EDT Okay I sat down and figured out all the TMBG links Nickelodeon has. The results were rather unnerving. Please add any you know of... "Clarissa Explains It All" Clarissa loves TMBG has mentioned them on occasion and has a Flood emblem on her wall and a TMBG poster. "The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo" The theme song sounds alot like "Guitar Was the Case" and the actress who plays the title role is named Irene Ng. "Pete and Pete" When TMBG sung "The Guitar" on Leno the actress who plays Miss Fingerling on Pete and Pete sung backup. And the kid with the last name Linnell in the ringing phone everywhere. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "The words I'm (writing) now mean nothing more than meow to an animal" ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:12:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804201124_477018822@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: What Happened to Superfueled Freaksicle? I haven't been posting to the list in a while and just wondered? Joseph ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E69AB5.171E@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:15:01 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 expo67@webtv.net wrote: > > Does anyone know what kind of shoes Linny wears? I noticed his shoes a > couple of times and I thought they were cool. Ones that fit, I'm assuming. Probably ones that are comfy, too. Sorry, couldn't resist. --Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E69C19.7D18@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:20:57 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-215 This is starting to border on the sick side of fandom... I think we all know *that* person, with that strange look in their eyes... (it's only my evil humor. don't mind me at all.) Amanda ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199708050103.VAA22826@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: NoVa Get Together Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 21:03:24 -0400 (EDT) I had posted a long time ago about a NoVa (Northern Virginia) get together, but unfortunately I never was able to get on the ball to make it happen. I also seem to have lost the list of people who were interested. Anyway, here's what I'm thinking. How about a little cookout sort of thing Saturday? I've got a nice patio/yard outside my apartment and would be happy to host such a thing. If you're near Centreville and would be interested in something Saturday afternoon please let me know. Wednesday evening I'll announce if it's on or not. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E6998C.FF0DB5BA@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:10:05 -0700 From: "Kevin (100% Curd) McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost > ('sides, you > hardcore tmbg kids know the theme song is "No One Knows My Plan.") *sniffs* used to be..... Now its just some cheesy imitation of No One Knows My Plan. But, if youre lucky, in some of the commercials, you can still hear it. Wow. That e-mail scared the pants off me. Guess I better put my pants back on. I kneel vacuum grip- Kevin Paul McGuire -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970804210229.00693a30@email.acd.net> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 21:02:29 -0400 From: amy beth geerling Subject: TMBG: TIME FOR A NEW OMLT!!!!??? greetings and salivations- all this talk about tshirts makes me kinda itchy to get something *new* going..... i would like to jury entries on a new OMLT. why not? after all, if we get started now, we might have them for christmas...... but sereously, guys and gals, like i listed earlier, i work at a screenprinting shop, and i know that if we got a big enough quanity, i could get those shirts out to everyone for about $10.00 including shipping anyone interested??? email me! or call me toll free at work http://www.raintreescreenprint.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 21:23:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804212139_-1574124685@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: a long message of uh, replies.. :) In a message dated 8/4/97 7:05:02 PM, you wrote: > Barenaked Ladies and Moxy Fruvous) > >> but they could have a lot more 'airplay-potential'. But; canadians+talent= > >> slim fame in the states. :P What do you mean?!?!? BNL always sell out in Boston. > > No, you snipped my sentence. I said BNL and Fruvous and TMBG seem to always get compared New sentence. Another band I enjoy is the Odds who have the slim chance of fame. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970804211328.00687fec@email.acd.net> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 21:13:28 -0400 From: amy beth geerling Subject: TMBG: Re:sereous songs how come no one has brought up "Stormy Pinkness"? that is a way sad song, maybe it is because it's like 1 minute and like 14 seconds. what da you pipples think? ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 22:04 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? > 'Ask me now, I understand the words that Alice said' I took that >line to mean that his ex had told him something he was doing wrong, but >he didn't understand what she was talking about till it was too late. I always sort of thought of the nonsensical bits of verse and occurances in "Alice In Wonderland" when I heard the song. It'd be quite a feat to understand some of that stuff... I've always identified with this song, because sometimes when I'm feeling down for no real reason, the line "Rows of dandilions growing all around me, why must I be sad?" pops into my head. Like, why do I have to be sad when there's sunny flowers growing around me.. :) Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: Saquing@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 22:47:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970804224302_1282518131@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost I heard they took it off because TMBG was asking for too much money. I guess they're not as noble as we thought they were. >> ('sides, you >> hardcore tmbg kids know the theme song is "No One Knows My >Plan.") > >*sniffs* used to be..... > >Now its just some cheesy imitation of No One Knows My Plan. But, if >youre lucky, in some of the commercials, you can still hear it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708050312.WAA32051@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: Re: TMBG: TIME FOR A NEW OMLT!!!!??? Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 22:01:22 -0500 I think Christi, our OMLT goddess, is doing pretty good at her job. At least be nice enough to wait until after what's-his-name-I-know-it-starts-with-a-B calls back. Even though the OMLT front was silent for awhile she has been very good at keeping us up to date these past few weeks. Just a mercy plea on Christi's behalf. Blink > > all this talk about tshirts makes me kinda itchy to get something *new* going..... > > i would like to jury entries on a new OMLT. why not? after all, if we get started now, we might have them for christmas...... > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970804200620.006855ac@mail.awod.com> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:06:22 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: People griping about projects... Does anyone realize how much work goes into getting some of this stuff set up? It's kind of disheartening to be deluged with e-mail from people griping about the OMLT and other TMBG-related projects... A lot of work goes into setting this up, and I'm sure being flamed by impatient fans doesn't make their work any easier. Clearing his throat and stepping off his soapbox, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 23:34:48 -0400 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <33E69F58.69D9@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: Re: Window interp At tmbg.org there are a few interps, ranging from one about cathedrals to one about a murderer to one sorta about conforming to society (that last one's mine, tho it's under a different name) -Mismi ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-216 ******************************