Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-219 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 219 Friday, 8 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Rubaiyat Non-TMBG:Need OMLT goddesses addy!! TMBG: Mega Fun Trivia Questions! TMBG: MLT Suggestion Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln:end it. Re: TMBG: MLT Suggestion TMBG: OMLT suggestions and a really odd question TMBG: OMLT suggestions and a really odd question Re: TMBG: Conan Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! Re: TMBG: OMLT suggestions and a really odd question TMBG: UMLT and the unfun listees. Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln:end it. TMBG: tmbg: re: spider interp TMBG: Then Question TMBG: Re: Otis Ball & The Chains Fwd: TMBG: Then Question NON-TMBG: Re: Converse TMBG: Superfueled? Re: NON-TMBG: Re: Converse Re: TMBG: UMLT and the unfun listees. Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln Fwd: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! TMBG: Re: SGC2C Re: TMBG: shoes Re: TMBG: Space Ghost Re: TMBG: TOUR Re: TMBG: shoes Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? Re: TMBG: tmbg: re: spider interp Re: TMBG: tmbg: re: spider interp Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <33E9743A.53BC0F15@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 03:07:38 -0400 From: Emmanuel Donio Subject: TMBG: Rubaiyat Hey this Robert guy posted to the list asking about TMBG's cover of Phil Ochs' "One More Parade" which appeared on the Elektra Rubaiyat compilation. Well, to answer all questions pertaining to said chunk of Johns, Rubaiyat features songs by Metallica, 10,000 Maniacs, Jackson Browne, Kronos Quartet, and The Pixies, as well as TMBG and many others. These are all covers (ooh, I've left out The Cure, who did an excellent cover of The Doors' "Hello I Love You"). I was able to find a set that was 4 CDs consisting of the two CDs of covers along with another 2 CDs of the original songs (ooh, like the Gypsy Kings' version of "Hotel California" along with the Eagles' version). The TMBG version of "One More Parade" is really not all that dissimilar to the original Phil Ochs song. I think they omitted a verse or something. It is a mediocre song in my opinion, but the CD set as a whole is very good. May I note Tracy Chapman's wonderful rendition of "House of the Rising Sun?" Too late, it's been noted. I bought the set because I saw the whole thing used (all 4 cds) for just 25 smackers, because I had read Mr. Relph's discography, and because I apparently don't mind dishing out 25 bucks just because the words "Giants," "Might," "They," and "Be" appear on a product in some sort of sensible order. All in all, I was not disappointed. If you can find it at a reasonable price, my suggestion would be to spur the economic growth of the nation by participating in aggressive consumerism. Drink Coke. Manny ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 05:25:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: Non-TMBG:Need OMLT goddesses addy!! Message-ID: Please, please could someone send Christy's email addy to me at soulfire@cgicafe.com so I can get my order in! I've been out of town and thought I didn't have a chance to send it in, but now that I know I have through Thursday (today) to get my order in, I'd /really/ like to do so.. Thanks! Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33E99D1A.3A73@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 03:02:07 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Mega Fun Trivia Questions! Here's a few trivia questions I came up with. The first one to get them right wins ... .... um .. nothing but I'll be impressed. 1) Name a band that has an album with a whole bunch of very short tracks on it. One of the the songs on this album is called "Fingertips". 2) Who has an album with a song titled "Number Three" which happens to be the third track on the album. AND...the answer/s I'm looking for is *NOT* They Might Be Giants. -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <33E9EEC6.1425@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 08:50:30 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: TMBG: MLT Suggestion Okay, this isn't my idea. Someone else said it first. I don't pay attention to who said it, I just listen. But here is _my opinion_ on the solution to all this T-shirt business. Have someone who is "in-charge of T-shirts". This person is always in charge of T-shirts. And have that person queue up requests for T-shirts. That means after 10 or 20 requests, there will be a printing of the OMLT (whether O means official or not... doesn't matter). All this gets documented in the FAQ and somewhere on TMBG.ORG so new people have a way of figuring it out. Whenever the person "in-charge of T-shirts" gets enough orders and decides to print, he can announce the printing to the List and give a quick deadline after which requests go back into the queue until they pile up again. That means that there will always be a way to get a shirt, and if you time it right, it will be quickly and if you don't, you may have to wait a month or something. Designs can change if we wanna change them. We could even have multiple styles of List T-shirts, so you can pick and choose. I think at concerts, we all pay attention to other people TMBG clothes just to check them out, and a couple different shirts shouldn't confuse people too much would it? I think the most important thing is that something about List T-shirts gets put on the web and in a FAQ. The next most important thing is to have a place to channel all T-shirt requests whenever they come in so the whole list doesn't start talking about them (the request for the shirts... we can talk about the shirts ). Does that makes sense at all? -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EA0D5E.2426@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 11:01:02 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln:end it. Holy crap you guys. The ponits that I think folks are trying to make here are the following: 1. be it a lie or a mistake, it's all good and we've moved on to greener pastures. 2. Does it really matter if I watch "Millenium" or if patrick watches "Let's Make A Deal" or what? that's not the point, at least not here. 3. Let's move off of the personal taste attacks and get on with our sneaker conversation. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EA0EA1.728A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 11:06:25 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: MLT Suggestion Your idea makes a lot of sense and I think it's a good one. I think (actually, I hope) that this can be the solution that we've all wanted for a while. Whether or not you came up with the idea, it's a great one and I think that this is the direction we should go in. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708071519.KAA32225@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: OMLT suggestions and a really odd question Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:09:23 -0500 I agree that all this should be placed in a FAQ and possibly add more designs as time goes on. Shirts wear out or shrink so I think alot of people would probably order them, and it also saves my only They shirt from being relegated to life of only occasional wearing so it doesn't get worn out since I'm broke until my new job starts. Perhaps a permanent website could stay up and people could send designs in if they have one and they will be posted up and at a designated time they will be voted on. Also, have any of you ever lived in Lexington, KY or know someone who does/have in the past 6 years. And if you have lived there Dr. Pepper and Reese's Pieces to any one who can tell what DPACMDMVW means.(I swear this has to do with TMBG, it just remains to be seen if anyone knows how) Blink ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708071523.KAA00104@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: OMLT suggestions and a really odd question Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:09:23 -0500 I agree that all this should be placed in a FAQ and possibly add more designs as time goes on. Shirts wear out or shrink so I think alot of people would probably order them, and it also saves my only They shirt from being relegated to life of only occasional wearing so it doesn't get worn out since I'm broke until my new job starts. Perhaps a permanent website could stay up and people could send designs in if they have one and they will be posted up and at a designated time they will be voted on. Also, have any of you ever lived in Lexington, KY or know someone who does/have in the past 6 years. And if you have lived there Dr. Pepper and Reese's Pieces to any one who can tell what DPACMDMVW means.(I swear this has to do with TMBG, it just remains to be seen if anyone knows how) Blink ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:21:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan At 20:54 -0000 8/6/97, Amanda Nichols wrote: >I'm trying to carry on a few >conversations and support other folks here on the list. There's >nothing that says you have to read them all. If this is something that I >shouldn't be doing (and that seems to be the attitude I've been getting >recently) then so be it. There is such a thing as a sense of humor and >lightening up every now and then. My thing is, why be on a mailing list >to talk to people when they don't wanna talk? its not the posting thats the problem, it's the way you post ten little messages a day all within 10 minutes of each other... just glom everything you have to say into one or two posts... no offense intended but when i see all those little posts from the same person i tend to just skip them all... trippy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:35:51 -0400 (EDT) From: squeak! Subject: Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! Message-ID: On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > different designs? Don't you think it would be better to > just have that one OMLT as, like, a single sign of > list membership? A universal sign, as it were. Well, there's no problem with that.... except that anyone who joins the list later won't be able to get one (from the way it looks now). I know that the radio station where I work got T-shirts printed in the winter, and we can get them reprinted for the same price each (depending on quantity and stuff). So I see no problem with keeping *one* OMLT, provided Christi is willing to reorder them, say, once a year. Otherwise, maybe we can get the design and give it to someone else (after this printing) who will be able to get them reprinted. Otherwise, the OMLT will lose its purpose, because anyone who joins the list after today will have no chance to get a shirt. Jen :9 ps - thanks to Christi for all her hard work Ladies and gentlemen, please remain calm. What you are about to see is real. The performers are not grinning scarecrows sent here to torture and manipulate you. ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:23:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807152307_821903548@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT suggestions and a really odd question In a message dated 97-08-07 12:10:47 EDT, you write: << Dr. Pepper and Reese's Pieces to any one who can tell what DPACMDMVW means. >> Don't Pickles and Coffee Cause Massive Deterioration aMong VolksWagens? I claim my prize. ~Andrew ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19970807181251.006a67f4@email.acd.net> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 18:12:51 -0400 From: amy beth geerling Subject: TMBG: UMLT and the unfun listees. "all this talk about tshirts makes me kinda itchy to get something *new* going..... i would like to jury entries on a new OMLT. why not? after all, if we get started now, we might have them for christmas...... anyone interested??? email me! or call me toll free at work http://www.raintreescreenprint.com " HELLLLOOOO people...... the reason i started talking about a new OMLT was to get it out to people by the time i had originally stated in my first message, everyone krabbin about having an only yearly one, check your calendars. and to kellykent who said: "The OMLT was intended for listee recognition at concerts. But if we're flooded with even a few UMLT's, the OMLT has lost it's purpose. What good is it to have, say, 5 different shirts with the list address on 5 different designs? Don't you think it would be better to just have that one OMLT as, like, a single sign of list membership? A universal sign, as it were." yeah, thats what i go to a tmbg show for. let's get out out plaid skirts and regulation sweaters while were at a tmbg show while were at it, this isnt the army, is it? i always thought of other tmbg fans as so much fun, but certain people are starting to act like a bunch of close minded followers, much like a bad fraternity. if the tshirt were only for recognizing other listees at shows, then that would mean that throughout the show you would be looking at everyone's chest and mouthing the words "me too" is that your idea of fun at a show? or do you go to hear the music? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EA775D.6AF141E0@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 18:33:17 -0700 From: "Kevin (100% Curd) McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! > a single sign of > list membership? A universal sign, as it were." > The present design has the "they" skull with "list" on the front pocket area. I think that should be a constant, just change the design on the back. Kevin, the designer of the current back design who rarely posts -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:23:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807202154_585358230@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln In a message dated 97-08-07 06:18:45 EDT, fartymac@hotmail.com (Philbert Turtle) writes: << 3. Watching Conan O'Brien regularly is, IMHO, nothing to brag about. >> In direct violation of the strict code of conduct violently enforced by this totally rockin list, I must proudly proclaim with this message nothing of any meaning aside from two friendly, amicable words that are usually met with hostility when read, which are: I AGREE Now, I should be allowed, one would assume, to simply agree with that humble opinion, but I didn't dare place those two poor words in a post by themselves, for they would undoubtedly be massacred upon being merely read!!! So I had to add LOTS AND LOTS of padding..............words and words to accompany my frightened little friends "I" and "agree" Why is it that they had to be chaperoned by lots of sentences just to be allowed to exist on the list??? <> I am not allowed to merely agree. AnnA ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:25:37 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807202405_-1741116649@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln:end it. In a message dated 97-08-07 12:05:32 EDT, Expo67@ix.netcom.com (Amanda Nichols) writes: << Holy crap you guys. The ponits that I think folks are trying to make here are the following: 1. be it a lie or a mistake, it's all good and we've moved on to greener pastures. 2. Does it really matter if I watch "Millenium" or if patrick watches "Let's Make A Deal" or what? that's not the point, at least not here. 3. Let's move off of the personal taste attacks and get on with our sneaker conversation. Amanda >> <> I agree!!!! ------------------------------ From: Sloane42@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 21:05:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807210450_-1003129389@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: tmbg: re: spider interp hello everyone, if i'm not mistaken, i think someone was talking about possible interpretations of "spider" recently. i remember reading about it, but the actual letter has vanished. i always saw it as an action movie promo, with all these different shots of the hero and the villian, with the movies title being splashed across the screen all the time ... i don't know... just a thought i am going back to being a lurker now... all the tense messages are making me worry i am going to be flamed... sloane the nervous lurker ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:21:12 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: TMBG: Then Question I was wondering if the company that released all the pre-Elektra TMBG stuff is the same that Then was released on? I think they had different names! Pete. ************************************************************************** THE CHIPS ARE READY! Five piece rock trio. Pete on drums and vox, Scott on guitar, Craig on guitar, James on keyboards, Stu on bass & Anth on kazoo. New CD out soon.....er or later.... Supporting Blur next month....we'll be busking outside the Metro! ************************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:22:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807222104_-869599976@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Otis Ball & The Chains Me: Does a search on Tower Records online: "They Might Be Giants" Me: Scrolls through the same results he sees in every music search. Me: is surprised to find a new face in the crowd: Otis Ball & The Chains? The next thing I do is look at the notes for this odd appearance on a TMBG search... "a new thing?" I wonder. <> What can I say... I'm perplexed? ~Andrew * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ * ------------------------------ "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" - Arthur "You, ask a glass of water." - Ford ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:37:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807223604_308646179@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Then Question --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: TMBG: Then Question Date: 97-08-07 22:34:14 EDT From: YeahSpoon To: petery7@ozemail.com.au In a message dated 97-08-07 22:26:08 EDT, you write: << I was wondering if the company that released all the pre-Elektra TMBG stuff is the same that Then was released on? I think they had different names! Pete. >> I can tell you this... Most TMBG recordings made pre- the Elektra deal bear the Bar-None label. I beleive that this is a subsidiary (or was) of Restless Records. Then:TEY is released on the Restless label. ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:48:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970807224621_380895735@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: NON-TMBG: Re: Converse >Big sizes- Unless something changed, they no longer make Chucks in any >other colors than white, off white, and black above a size 13. This probably >doesn't help many people besides myself, but I wanted to let it be known. actually www.converseshoes.com appears to carry chucks in all the different colors up to size 17. >The first pair were sky blue Hey wow. Ever been to a show in the Maryland/VA/DC area? If so, I think I may have seen your shoes. I definitely remember ogling a pair of multiply-autographed Chucks that were a lovely shade of pale blue -somewhere-, don't ask me when. Remember Christy's epic post about the car accident she was in on the way to the Western Maryland show? While Vera and I were waiting for her, we killed time by counting pairs of Chucks in the room. We kept a little tally on the leg of her jeans. >I have the ones, I guess they're the dr. j's ... (black with the star and the >> next to it in white).. I've had them for nearly 3 years... before I knew >Flans had them. :) that was a pleasant suh-prise . If anyone MUST know >, I chose them because 80% of my school already weras the plain one->stars, and I wanted to be different, dammit!;) Dr. J's! Aha! You're awesome. I've thought those were cute for the longest time and I couldn't think for the life of me what they were called. Unbelievably, I didn't know Flans had them. =) >and Ultra Red, the rarest color I've found. Ackthpth? please describe. I've never seen 'em. >You might check out http://sneakers.pair.com/chucks.htm it's filled with a >disgusting amount of info That's an understatement. I checked it out. I am still reeling. That page is awesome just because of the sheer volume of links. My new life goal is to find a pair of those "stripe-star-stripe" chucks from the 70s. then my life will perhaps be complete. moose now wearing blue plaid, mentally apologizing to my American flag low-tops which I forgot about...whoops...I have eight pairs...IYC, WYPD. =) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970807200824.006fb014@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 20:08:46 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Superfueled? >Official stating of the question: >Are they enough TMBG originals still floating out there to even >think about Superfueled Freakcicle anymore? You betcha, gumdrop. The Elektra-era singles have yet to be anthologized, and most are out of print. TMBG have quite a few songs (James K. Polk (original), Ant, Stormy Pinkness, Cabbagetown, Siftin', Welcome to the Jungle, I Blame You, Moving To The Sun, Why Does The Sun Shine?, Jessica, Whirlpool, She Was A Hotel Detective, Ondine, Mrs. Train) that are more or less unavailable right now and will probably remain so until the release of SF. All these songs are quite good, and some are excellent. I think they'll do SF soon, both to get their material out and to get another album closer to the end of their contract with Elektra. --nicole the wonder nerd fellow Fruhead *** "They tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EA90A6.4044@tmbg.org.nospam> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 20:21:10 -0700 From: Flyn Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: Converse Mooseful@aol.com wrote: > > >and Ultra Red, the rarest color I've found. > > Ackthpth? please describe. I've never seen 'em. They're brilliant red, a little bit darker than the normal reds with less orange. They really picked the right name for them, they have the purest, coolest red I've ever seen in fabric. I found a pair at the true source for Converse in Seattle, Chubby n Tubby, they were in a silver box, like they used to use. I found them a year ago, and have never seen anyone else wearing them. There was only one pair, size 7.5. About a week ago, I was there again, and I saw three more pairs, all size 7.5; I considered buying another pair for my old age, but I had bought a pair of turquoise a week before, and obsession discomforts me. Just in case anyone in the Emerald city is small, or like me, six feet tall with size 7.5 feet (surprisingly, balance hasn't been a big problem), the shoes were at the Chubby n Tubby in beautiful downtown White Center. $25.88 every day. -Flyn > >You might check out http://sneakers.pair.com/chucks.htm it's filled with a > >disgusting amount of info > > That's an understatement. I checked it out. I am still reeling. That page is > awesome just because of the sheer volume of links. My new life goal is to > find a pair of those "stripe-star-stripe" chucks from the 70s. then my life > will perhaps be complete. > > moose > now wearing blue plaid, mentally apologizing to my American flag low-tops > which I forgot about...whoops...I have eight pairs...IYC, WYPD. =) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 7 Aug 97 23:20 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: UMLT and the unfun listees. >let's get out out plaid skirts and regulation sweaters while were at a tmbg >show while were at it, this isnt the army, is it? i always thought of >other tmbg fans as so much fun, but certain people are starting to act >like a bunch of close minded followers, much like a bad fraternity. I think you've misinterpreted, and are also jumping in when you really don't know what's what. The OMLT was invented so that we could find each other at concerts and maybe meet up. There were a lot of people who were frustrated by the fact that they would often go to a concert and not find out until later that people they knew from online were there, and they didn't even know about it. It was decided that a t-shirt would be much easier that yelling, "LIST!!" and would also be good advertising. The idea wasn't to exclude other fans, or make us into the Johns' personal army. If you ask me, the t-shirts would actually increase the fun value of the concert, because you could find your friends and not spend the whole time thinking, "I wonder if there's anyone here from the List?" Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EAC613.7CA8@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 00:09:07 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan Loves Lincoln SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: > So I had to add LOTS AND LOTS of padding..............words and words to > accompany my frightened little friends "I" and "agree" > > Why is it that they had to be chaperoned by lots of sentences just to be > allowed to exist on the list??? You ask why, and here is the somewhat simple answer. Certainly you are allowed to agree. I certainly have no problem with that. But the very point of this list is to raise somewhat interesting topics and maybe add new insights to those. Maybe you agree, but no one cares. Maybe someone standing over your shoulder at home cares, they know you personally. Here you are just another e-mail address trying to prove your worth by 1) providing information 2) trying not to make a nussaince out of yourself when you nothing on a topic 3) posting intelligently when you have nothing important to say [1]. "I agree" accompanied by supportng facts, or even opinions would be fine. "I agree" by itself, however only presents the list with the fact that you lack self-restraint. Moral: self-restraint, taken daily with vitamins can be a good thing. [1] credit must be given to the post this replies to as it is at least well written and thought out. -- I don't know what that woman needs, but I'd love to give it to her. --"Choose Me" \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 00:29:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970808002850_1215582776@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Fwd: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! Date: 97-08-08 00:27:12 EDT From: SUZZIE5808 To: kkent@uc.campus.mci.net In a message dated 97-08-06 22:12:54 EDT, kkent@uc.campus.mci.net writes: << The OMLT was intended for listee recognition at concerts >> Yeah.............. {{{wheels of brain slowly begin to creak into motion}}} {{dazed pause}} I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO more bickering about the OMLT and UMLT and UUMLT and UUUMLT and UUUUMLT and UUUUUMLT........... Why bother making a t-shirt for listee recognition???? When we can simply write "LIST" on our foreheads in large, easy-to-read letters!!!!!!!! Or, if ya wanna get fancy, on prosthetic foreheads!!!!! Why not??? Who's with me??? It's cheap ( 7 dollars max!) It's easy (we can all write "list" or if not, know someone who can) And I'll bet it on the bank that it'll work!!!!!!! AnnA Love, people. No more of this negativity...... We are all cooler than everybody else since we listen to TMBG, so act like it!!! C'MON!!!!!!! I wanna feel the love on this list!!! Is that REALLY so much to ask for??? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:23:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: I can UMLT if i wanna!!!! Message-ID: On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: > I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > Why bother making a t-shirt for listee recognition???? > When we can simply write "LIST" on our foreheads in large, easy-to-read > letters!!!!!!!! Or, if ya wanna get fancy, on prosthetic foreheads!!!!! > Why not??? > Who's with me??? > It's cheap ( 7 dollars max!) > It's easy (we can all write "list" or if not, know someone who can) > And I'll bet it on the bank that it'll work!!!!!!! I'm with ya. It'd be even better if we wrote "LIST" backwards, because I'm sure than more than one of us here would accidentally get it backwards anyway if they're doing themselves and using a mirror. =] But . . . well, what if some misguided soul saw us with the word "LIST" on our foreheads and took it upon themselves to think this is just something we did to be "cool", and do it themselves? Soon it may become a weird kind of TMBG concert tradition that will weird out the Johns about us fans even more they they already are! Or have I just been staying up too late again? Mmm . . . coffee . . . Well, hey, look at it this way . . . we may suddenly start hearing about interps for the word "LIST" on everyone's foreheads. Forehead "LIST" homepages may spring up everywhere on the 'net . . . a TMBG song titled "(She Had A) 'LIST'ed Forehead" will appear on Their next single or album . . . and we listees shall rule the WORLD! Shoo-wee . . . I HAVE been up too long . . . =] > AnnA > Love, people. No more of this negativity...... We are all cooler than > everybody else since we listen to TMBG, so act like it!!! C'MON!!!!!!! I > wanna feel the love on this list!!! Is that REALLY so much to ask for??? Yes. I am a comic book readin', video game playin', cynical, sarcastic, anti-social, psychotic anarchist with a dim view of the future and a chip on my shoulder that would kill an elephant if someone knocked it off. Come and get some. =] Jim -Um . . . everyone knows I was kidding with that last paragraph, right? I'm really a nice guy . . . unless I see the color blue, then I turn into Gargolio, The Titan Demon Monster Type Thingie Who Rules The Underworld And Eats Chicken Heads And Stuff. Remember that the only thing that will change me back is a big plate of sashimi with a side order of Twinkies. A little parsely would be nice, too.- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:16 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA18552@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: TMBG: Re: SGC2C At 03:41 PM 8/5/97 EDT, you wrote: >Well I e-mailed the ever kind Space Ghost questioning him on the date of >Flansy's appearance..and this was his heart felt reply. > > >One day we'll have him on the show.-----------Space Ghost. One day this season? Dave Simpson LotharCo missing the days when we were an enigma.. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:10 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA10349@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: shoes At 10:38 AM 8/5/97 -0600, you wrote: >Just check out the birdhouse video.... when they show their feet...linny >has the allstars on (in front) and flans has the onestars on (behind >linny). I love that scene in the Birdhouse video when all those lumberjack-like extras are jumping and there's a closeup on their feet and they're all sporting cons. That is just too cool. Dave Simpson LotharCo Personally, my cons are red and black plaid.. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:24 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA18649@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Space Ghost At 01:57 PM 8/6/97 -0700, you wrote: > And I have also heard rumours that Turner isn't exactly great >when it comes to doling out moolah for even their most popular shows. >Ah, Ted Turner....LET THEM ACTUALLY ANIMATE THE FREAKIN SHOW!!! Why? Half the fun comes from watching just how long they can use the same four frames in the episode. And besides, then it would be, *GASP* mainstream.. Dave Simpson LotharCo definitly NOT mainstream ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:07 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA18731@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: TOUR At 10:29 AM 8/5/97 -0700, you wrote: > Ok, calm down....we're all here for you. They just finished >their Showroom tour, so it's really hard to tell. The best places to go >to find out are tmbg.com and www.performancemag.com. Also, hounding your >friendly neighborhood radio station doesn't hurt. Just checked tmbg.com, and it doesn't list any tours coming out yet. I imagine it will be a few more months until they begin touring again at least. Dave Simpson LotharCo "I can't see anything!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:18 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA18715@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: shoes At 04:50 PM 8/5/97 -0400, you wrote: >AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >I have searched for those very shoes for 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot find >them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A couple of years ago, my sister found a pair of green christmas chucks at a local shoe store. They had really long tongues with bells on them and everything. I was so upset because they didn't fit me, and even more so after scrounging the store for another pair and finding it was the last one. Curse the Darkness with me now! Dave Simpson LotharCo "Curse you darkness!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:05 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA17878@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: Serious Songs? At 10:24 AM 8/5/97 -0700, you wrote: > I always thought it was Alice Cooper. "The words that Alice >said" being that the main character, in this case, is an Alice fan (hence >the listing of Cooper albums at the end). I had originally thought it was the Alice in Wonderland. Mainly because that was the only Alice I knew of. And who knows, mabye it is. Does anyone know "Alice in Wonderland" or "Through the Looking Glass" well enough to quote any lines that might prove this? No? Didn't think so. Dave Simpson LotharCo Rich, Rare, and Remarkably Smooth ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:31:36 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <199708080531.XAA16961@alpha.psd.k12.co.us> From: Dave Simpson Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: re: spider interp >hello everyone, >if i'm not mistaken, i think someone was talking about possible >interpretations of "spider" recently. i remember reading about it, but the >actual letter has vanished. >i always saw it as an action movie promo, with all these different shots of >the hero and the villian, with the movies title being splashed across the >screen all the time ... i don't know... just a thought Sounds good. Mabye I'll make a video to go along with it.. >i am going back to being a lurker now... all the tense messages are making me >worry i am going to be flamed... Now THAT'S a good idea! Why doesn't everyone on this list become a lurker? That way we would never again have to check our mail and see all this horrid "clutter" and "waste of bandwidth" that is the "normal rantings of newbies on this much degreaded list." Instead, we'd be treated to a wonderful three messages all directly relating to Them and their music, TV appearances, web page updates (but only the unofficial one of course! Why would anyone want to see a page put up by some mere fan that isn't the official unofficial page? (no offense to Leo or anyone else working on tmbg.org, keep up the excellent work!)) and other news updates. Since so much has happened concerning Them recently (Flans might be on SGC2C! Linnell might be an alien!) I know that would be all the excitement my little heart could handle. And if we all were lurkers, nobody would know who was a "newbie" or a "veteren" or a "jerk." Best of all, nobody would be offended by "opinions" or "alternate views on subjects" and that would keep the flaming wars down, not to mention the irrelevent "crap" that proliferates here at an unnerving pace. Where do people get the idea that this newsgroup is for converse-atons anyway? It's not called a "chatgroup" or a "talkgroup," now is it? Obviously, if we all were to become lurkers, that would most greatly benefit each and every subscriber. On a similar note, a heartfelt congratulations goes out to those few folks who decided to take the role of "moderator" into their own hands and "peacefully disuade" others from writing too little or too much. (quick ?: is this message the short enough not to be wordy, but long enough not to be "a waste of a message, people's time, sent by the evil lord satan himself, and most definitly the most heinous crime facing our society today"? Thanx.) Without these fine vigalantees, who knows what kind of filth and debauchery might be the norm? I know I'd much rather read a good flame war than a few harmless, freespirited posts that quicky fade away any day. So with that I issue a challenge to all of you out there. Let's see how long we all can remain lurkers without posting "irrelavent" (read: any) messages to the list. Sort of like the Quiet Game, only with e-mail. Oh, and you visionaries mentioned above need not participate, since you're obviously not part of the problem. Dave Simpson LotharCo What about banning signatures? If it's not the sender's name, then I don't want to read it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 7 Aug 97 23:25 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: re: spider interp >i always saw it as an action movie promo, with all these different shots of >the hero and the villian, with the movies title being splashed across the >screen all the time ... OHMIGOSH!! That fits so well! I never thought of it that way before, but as soon as you said that, I could see the title: "SPIDER!" coming soon to a theater near you... :) My little brother once drew me a cartoon of Spider - it was this little spider guy, and there was a huge giant bloblike stick person with horns saying, "I promise not to hurt you," and Spider was thinking, "Yeah, right." It was cute. Kirsten -- "To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are.." - from _Cyrano de Bergerac_ Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-219 ******************************